PDA

View Full Version : Barrick reports investing US$4 billion in DR

NewsWhore
03-13-2012, 03:40 PM
The president of Barrick Gold International, Aaron Regent, says that the investments made by the mining company in the Dominican Republic exceed US$4 billion and that the mine will represent approximately 15% of all exports from the country. The mining executive said that the Pueblo Viejo mine is expected to contribute US$7 billion in income to the Dominican state during the mine's lifetime, if gold prices remain around US$1,400 an ounce, which is near the current price.

The executive was speaking during the Barrick International Day celebrations in Canada, with the participation of a delegation from the Dominican Republic headed by ambassador Jose Urena, director of Mining Octavio Lopez, the director of the National Geological Service of the Dominican Republic Santiago Munoz, Jose Angel Rodriguez from the Remediation Plan of Rosario Mining, Edwin Garcia, Wilton Khoury, the deputy director of Mining in Santiago, Virgilio Peguero, Ramon Morrobel and Cristina Thomen, the director of Public Relations of the Chamber of Mining and coordinator of the delegation which attended the PDAC 2012. The PDAC is the largest mining industry get-together held in Canada.

Regent said that success for Barrick consists of being able to generate profits for the community and its partners, and for this reason they have a very serious commitment to responsible mining.

Diario Libre reported that in the last year Barrick has introduced a new human rights policy with a clear vision of zero tolerance towards any type of abuse, and he mentioned that last Friday they introduced a group of directors who are responsible for the issues of corporate responsibility and issues that affect the sector, in which the Caribbean region is included. He said that this addresses not only the desire to listen but also to learn in those places where they work.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#7)