PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras

Noerya
03-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Don't know if i'm posting this one in the right place (so please move it elsewhere if that apply)

Question: when around town (day or night), do you bring a small digital camera with you or do you use the one on your cellphone maybe? What's your advice? I don't want to bring expensive shit to attracts too much attention + i don't want to carry around something too big so i was thinking about a less than $100 regular Sony black & plain camera that i can put in my pocket without being annoyed by it.

Opinions ?

deezl
03-21-2012, 05:50 PM
I have a canon dslr that I usually carry around during the day and a little panasonic lumix that's always in my pocket, day or night. never had an issue.

cellphone camera pics are generally awful.

Noerya
03-21-2012, 05:59 PM
I have a canon dslr that I usually carry around during the day and a little panasonic lumix that's always in my pocket, day or night. never had an issue.

You're not afraid for your DSLR? I won't bring my $2000 Nikon + $$$$$ lenses and gears that's for sure even though i could use this stuff for gorgeous pictures. It could have also be an incentive for chicas to play some modeling for me back in the room but i think i won't try it :p

naptime
03-21-2012, 06:36 PM
you'll find that most guys that take pics and contribute to the board, have p&s pocket cams.

there are a few that take down dslr's with no issues. imo, you actually have a better chance at having the pocket cam succomb to theft than a dslr.

now that i have one, it WILL be with me on my next trip.

but, it's also not my first trip so maybe i'm just a little more comfortable.

naptime
03-21-2012, 06:37 PM
oh, and by : now that i have one, i mean a dslr. and by dslr i mean a real one. and by real one, i mean canon :wink:

Tiger
03-21-2012, 06:59 PM
I have a cheap little canon sure shot . Very small and fits easily in my pocket.

I never leave my room with out it.......day or night.
Shoot away........

Jimmydr
03-21-2012, 07:00 PM
I am on my third Sony. :iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU:

deezl
03-21-2012, 07:07 PM
You're not afraid for your DSLR? I won't bring my $2000 Nikon + $$$$$ lenses and gears that's for sure even though i could use this stuff for gorgeous pictures. It could have also be an incentive for chicas to play some modeling for me back in the room but i think i won't try it :p

The good glass stays home. I keep it in a camera backpack along with a couple of zooms. Pull it out to shoot, then right back in the pack. At night the body sleeps in the safe.

And it's all insured, so... No worries.

greydread
03-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Unless you're going to take pictures to sell, why would anyone even consider bringing an expensive camera to the DR? I'm currently using a Fujifilm Finepix JK and it's the best under $300 (with 8GB card) camera I've owned. 16MP, HD video, wide lens, 5x zoom, panoramic pics (3 exposures). If it gets lost or stolen I won't shed a single tear.

TonyT
03-21-2012, 08:12 PM
If your vacation is about random half ass images with a horrible shutter delay then a point and shoot will work.

If your vacation is about making really nice images a DSLR might be needed. Granted if you don't know how to use it and some basic photography skills just bring an old cellphone with a camera on it. Heck, at worse bring a crayon and some paper and draw stick figures if theft is an issue.

I bring (depending on location) 1-3 cameras and 1-2 video cameras and a few pieces on nice glass. In almost all cases locals (in a third world nation) think the big DSLR's and a big pro 70-200 lens is "the old stuff" and the point and shoot cameras are where the money is. I had a good laugh in JA when a "friend" told me he could steal my Blackberry(really old smaller model) and sell it for $200 in 5 minutes but at best he could get $50 for my camera and lens worth(didn't tell him) $3500.

Then again, I sell some of my images so quality is needed and I'm more concerned about hiding/making copies of my SD cards ASAP over a camera growing legs.

greydread
03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
If your vacation is about random half ass images with a horrible shutter delay then a point and shoot will work.

Then again, I sell some of my images so quality is needed and I'm more concerned about hiding/making copies of my SD cards ASAP over a camera growing legs.

There you go. That's the difference. My vacations are about having the best possible time in a fun yet relaxng environment. Sometimes I will remember to even bring a camera and sometimes I will remember to use it.

I'm way more concerned with Putas with great PSE than cameras with great shutter speed. I only need one SD card and it gets zeroed into a thumb drive. Other than you guys, the only people that see my photo's is me and my road dogs and speaking for me and my road dogs we'd rather see a poorly put together photo of a well put together Puta than the other way around.

naptime
03-21-2012, 09:36 PM
speaking for me and my road dogs we'd rather see a poorly put together photo of a well put together Puta than the other way around.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :ilike:

princepointe
03-22-2012, 01:02 AM
In almost all cases locals (in a third world nation) think the big DSLR's and a big pro 70-200 lens is "the old stuff" and the point and shoot cameras are where the money is. I had a good laugh in JA when a "friend" told me he could steal my Blackberry(really old smaller model) and sell it for $200 in 5 minutes but at best he could get $50 for my camera and lens worth(didn't tell him) $3500.

Might want to give them a bit more credit than that. lol

Tenmei27
03-22-2012, 01:23 AM

ditto on me the compact lumix camera make it easy to hide and the slr is great for taking beach shots, and shots in the hotel room.

Nakom
03-22-2012, 10:55 AM
I use a small Nikon Coolpix (2nd one) and it works great. If I remember it it is in my pocket day or night. I am at the point now that I leave it out on the table in places like Merenguie and Fields Ave bars, so anyone can take a pic with it (including chicas - that I know). Bring a camera that takes good enough pictures for you, but would not disapoint you too much if it got lost, stolen, or broken.

http://winarco.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/nikon-COOLPIX-S5100-point-and-shoot-digital-camera-blue.jpg

Noerya
03-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Ok so i will bring a good small not expensive digital camera and (maybe) my NIKON (yes Nikon) DLSR with me for specific panoramic shots ! Stars (those green eyes), mountains (boobies), canyons (ass crack), rivers (wet pussies) and so on and so on...

naptime
03-22-2012, 07:26 PM
Ok so i will bring a good small not expensive digital camera and (maybe) my NIKON (yes Nikon) DLSR with me for specific panoramic shots ! Stars (those green eyes), mountains (boobies), canyons (ass crack), rivers (wet pussies) and so on and so on...

well, if a nikon is all you have, i guess you just got to work with what ya got ;) :)

i'm just clownin. my daughter and i jsut got started at christmas, we went with canon because the deals i got, fit our budget.

XXX
03-22-2012, 07:34 PM
I have a cheap little canon sure shot . Very small and fits easily in my pocket.

I never leave my room with out it.......day or night.
Shoot away........

I think I've seen you with this,,,,,,once or twice !!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

XXX
03-22-2012, 07:45 PM
This is the camera I bought for my January trip. I loved the ease of use and the 10x zoom was great !!

About $120 bucks,,,and I took it everywhere,,,,day and night !!

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43536&d=1332459461

THE ZOOM REALLY CAME IN HANDY !!!!!!

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37856&d=1327838386

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37852&d=1327838386

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38857&d=1328178137

TonyT
03-22-2012, 08:48 PM
This is the camera I bought for my January trip. I loved the ease of use and the 10x zoom was great !!

About $120 bucks,,,and I took it everywhere,,,,day and night !!

Out of interest and seeing as it's been a long time since I used a point and shoot, how long does it take from when you click the on button until you can capture an image?

TonyT
03-22-2012, 08:53 PM
well, if a nikon is all you have, i guess you just got to work with what ya got ;) :)

Lol, the old I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy AKA I'd rather draw pictures than create images with a ______. Both brands are great and both have a shit ton of used stuff on Ebay and other places for those who can't afford new bodies or glass. I can't say the same about Sony.....lol, anyone want to by a Sony DSLR with 2 almost new lenses....great camera...great condition, cheap price....just don't plan on buying glass for it at cheap prices.

XXX
03-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Out of interest and seeing as it's been a long time since I used a point and shoot, how long does it take from when you click the on button until you can capture an image?

I'd say about 2 seconds .

Apos
03-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Out of interest and seeing as it's been a long time since I used a point and shoot, how long does it take from when you click the on button until you can capture an image?It varies widely but I'd hazard a guess at 2.5-4 seconds :(

Apos
03-22-2012, 09:00 PM
"You owe me a beer!" :D
I'd say about 2 seconds .Typing basically the same info at the same time :corky::rofl:

TonyT
03-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Do those delay times cause you to miss images you wanted to capture? I can completely respect the benefits of a point and shoot but I went the DSLR way for many reasons and the biggest one was waiting for the camera to turn on, waiting for the lens to come out, waiting for it to focus and then waiting for the lag between when I hit the shutter release to when the image was captured.

Example: "holy shit look at that girl running past us" PAS camera user misses the image because of a 2-4 second delay while a DSLR user gets the image in under a second.

Apos
03-22-2012, 11:53 PM
There's definitely a tradeoff and a huge difference in cost and I like something discrete. If you are prepared and "ready for action" you don't need to miss much. It's when you are not "at the ready" that your issues begin. :corky:

I'd luv to have all the options and benefits of a DSLR but after carrying around film equipment with too many fuckin' lenses :rolleyes: for too long I'll stick with my point and shoot with a nice wide angle Zeiss lens and a 16-20 times optical zoom. :iconTU:

Do those delay times cause you to miss images you wanted to capture? I can completely respect the benefits of a point and shoot but I went the DSLR way for many reasons and the biggest one was waiting for the camera to turn on, waiting for the lens to come out, waiting for it to focus and then waiting for the lag between when I hit the shutter release to when the image was captured.

Example: "holy shit look at that girl running past us" PAS camera user misses the image because of a 2-4 second delay while a DSLR user gets the image in under a second.

daddyooo
03-23-2012, 11:17 PM
If anyone is looking for a cheap digital camera, Walmart has the Kodak 14mp on sale for $39.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/71365/walmart.com-kodak-c1530-14mp-3x-optical-3-lcd-digital-camera-bundle-w-mini-charger-case-white-or-green?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SlickdealsnetFP+%28SlickDeals.net+Frontpage%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo