PDA

View Full Version : Hostaria 24

Apos
03-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Located beside and just before Britannia Pub when heading towards the beach is a very authentic little Italian restaurant Hostaria 24. The walls are painted with an interesting colorwash in burnt orange making it very hard to miss.

I have never been to Italy nor do I profess to be an expert in Italian food. I cannot even tell you if they have a regional specialty. What I can tell you is that I love the food there and so does every single person that has eaten there at my suggestion, as well as a number of people that were born and raised in Europe and grew up eating Italian food. They and a few tuned in expats and regular visitors originally educated me and I thank them at every meal there! As opposed to the rest of us that eat at "The Olde Spaghetti Factory" or whatever chain and assume that that's Italian food. ;)

Hostaria 24 serves many different pasta and sauce combinations, one of the house specialties is a spicy Chivo dish that regularly sells out fast, offers excellent salads, bread with most meals. The Spaghetti Carbonara is excellent as is the spaghetti with garlic, oil and hot pepper sauce. Not for the feint of heart! :wink: The lasagna is very good and there are 2 or maybe 3 types to choose from and they also have delicious Gnochi. :iconTU:

If you wish to bring your own wine they happily open it for you and provide glasses, no charge!

They make a very nice espresso and for after dinner and the Tiramisu is creamy and large enough to share. We often share a pasta dish, salad and an appetizer for a nice, light and inexpensive meal.

Hostaria 24 comes highly recommended! :iconTU:

Sidney
03-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Yes, we enjoyed a great dinner with the guys !:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Apos
03-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Yes, we enjoyed a great dinner with the guys !:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
It was a pleasure as always! :iconTU:

El-Rey
03-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Nice spot. Some of the chicas call it "Italianos" .

Apos
03-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Nice spot. Some of the chicas call it "Italianos" .I love the food at Hostaria.

Between Caipriņas for late night food, Rocky's, Hostaria 24 for Italian, Pizzeria Italiana for....pizza :mrgreen:, Jungle Juices, Mofongo King and Aris on the beach my basic food needs are well covered, but I still like trying new places out.

I'm often pleasantly surprised with the restaurants friends recommend.

mikelodge
03-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Located beside and just before Britannia Pub when heading towards the beach is a very authentic little Italian restaurant Hostaria 24. The walls are painted with an interesting colorwash in burnt orange making it very hard to miss.

I have never been to Italy nor do I profess to be an expert in Italian food. I cannot even tell you if they have a regional specialty. What I can tell you is that I love the food there and so does every single person that has eaten there at my suggestion, as well as a number of people that were born and raised in Europe and grew up eating Italian food. They and a few tuned in expats and regular visitors originally educated me and I thank them at every meal there! As opposed to the rest of us that eat at "The Olde Spaghetti Factory" or whatever chain and assume that that's Italian food. ;)

Hostaria 24 serves many different pasta and sauce combinations, one of the house specialties is a spicy Chivo dish that regularly sells out fast, offers excellent salads, bread with most meals. The Spaghetti Carbonara is excellent as is the spaghetti with garlic, oil and hot pepper sauce. Not for the feint of heart! :wink: The lasagna is very good and there are 2 or maybe 3 types to choose from and they also have delicious Gnochi. :iconTU:

If you wish to bring your own wine they happily open it for you and provide glasses, no charge!

They make a very nice espresso and for after dinner and the Tiramisu is creamy and large enough to share. We often share a pasta dish, salad and an appetizer for a nice, light and inexpensive meal.

Hostaria 24 comes highly recommended! :iconTU:

Go in and order the pasta with seafood something like mariscos xxxxxxxx or fruti di mari and see the inconsistant joke you get. One day it will have a few very small shrimp like the salad kind you can buy in the US for $2 a pound or less of course you will get less than a Half an ounce so 10 cents worth and many days mostly octopus with maybe a couple cheap small clams. Don't have to take my word for it ask anybody in the area. Try asking at Britania or Cubano or Jolly Roger and see what all those local patrons say. Really you can get some real seafood in your pasta many more places for the same price without the inconsistancy of their BS.
Casa Valeria and Bologna and even Orchidee have better at a better value

Apos
03-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Well Mikelodge you're certainly entitled to your opinion. ;)

In my experience it's far more effective to make positive posts than negative and I was raised to not say anything if I couldn't say something "nice". :wink: Perhaps that's just me and mine...but I don't believe that. One could find something negative to say about any restaurant or business if they tried hard enough, looked narrowly enough and stretched things far enough. Doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the place to most people.

FYI I ordered Penne with and red sauce featuring plenty of large, juicy shrimp for one of the last dinners of my recent trip and it was delicious, had almost too many plump and tasty shrimp and easily fed 2 with a shared salad and bread. It was only marginally more than a plain sauce and was closer to 200 pesos, maybe 240 pesos. Quite an enjoyable meal and I'm sure the patrons at the neighbouring restaurants heard my sighs of contentment and my after dinner belch!

Next time we're in town together I'll buy you dinner at Hostaria 24, if you're willing to give them another shot, with some witnesses. :D

I'd suggest you try the Gnocchi! :rolleyes:

***Disclaimer***

I have no financial interest nor do I receive any goods or services for expressing my opinions of the restaurants and businesses I choose to review! :p

mikelodge
03-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Well Mikelodge you're certainly entitled to your opinion. ;)

In my experience it's far more effective to make positive posts than negative and I was raised to not say anything if I couldn't say something "nice". :wink: Perhaps that's just me and mine...but I don't believe that. One could find something negative to say about any restaurant or business if they tried hard enough, looked narrowly enough and stretched things far enough. Doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the place to most people.

FYI I ordered Penne with and red sauce featuring plenty of large, juicy shrimp for one of the last dinners of my recent trip and it was delicious, had almost too many plump and tasty shrimp and easily fed 2 with a shared salad and bread. It was only marginally more than a plain sauce and was closer to 200 pesos, maybe 240 pesos. Quite an enjoyable meal and I'm sure the patrons at the neighbouring restaurants heard my sighs of contentment and my after dinner belch!

Next time we're in town together I'll buy you dinner at Hostaria 24, if you're willing to give them another shot, with some witnesses. :D

I'd suggest you try the Gnocchi! :rolleyes:

Well thanks for the offer but I have to say not to be a non believer but it is all relative to opinion.
You say Plenty of large juicy shrimp in one of your last dinners well all I can say is what is plenty 4 ounces, 6 ounces, 8 ounces ?? Large really really I would love to see some pics of that.

I ate there one time with a guy on here called Nomad and he ordered veal parmesan and not only was it not veal but is was gross and probably pork but both of us tasted it and couldn't be sure. The remaining 95% was given to a street dog walking by tossed to the curb for it. Now don't get me wrong the pasta was OK but really really I tried the fruit de mare aka seafood pasta twice and had friends order it 2 or 3 other times when I just had a beer and I am serious it was a joke. Service was also very slow everytime and this was always when not busy daytime so there should be no excuse for that or that OOOPS its midnight and we are out of seafood.

I could name a couple more members that ate there with me but no reason too mention that.
Not saying they may not have some better items I am just saying why even try to trust them with seafood when they have fucked up so many times and by not putting it in there is deliberate trying to f people not a matter of overcooked or anything.

I will defer to Robert 345678908767543678904 if he says the seafood pasta is good but I will bet you he would have to agree and maybe get the Sidney over there to measure with the thumb off the scale to see how much those large and plentiful shrimp weigh in at. I am guessing 2 ounces max or a DOLLARs worth tops

***Disclaimer***

I have no financial interest nor do I receive any goods or services for expressing my opinions of the restaurants and businesses I choose to review! :p

Well thanks for the offer but I have to say not to be a non believer but it is all relative to opinion.
You say Plenty of large juicy shrimp in one of your last dinners well all I can say is what is plenty 4 ounces, 6 ounces, 8 ounces ?? Large really really I would love to see some pics of that.

I ate there one time with a guy on here called Nomad and he ordered veal parmesan and not only was it not veal but is was gross and probably pork but both of us tasted it and couldn't be sure. The remaining 95% was given to a street dog walking by tossed to the curb for it. Now don't get me wrong the pasta was OK but really really I tried the fruit de mare aka seafood pasta twice and had friends order it 2 or 3 other times when I just had a beer and I am serious it was a joke. Service was also very slow everytime and this was always when not busy daytime so there should be no excuse for that or that OOOPS its midnight and we are out of seafood.

I could name a couple more members that ate there with me but no reason too mention that.
Not saying they may not have some better items I am just saying why even try to trust them with seafood when they have fucked up so many times and by not putting it in there is deliberate trying to f people not a matter of overcooked or anything.

I will defer to Robert 345678908767543678904 if he says the seafood pasta is good but I will bet you he would have to agree and maybe get the Sidney over there to measure with the thumb off the scale to see how much those large and plentiful shrimp weigh in at. I am guessing 2 ounces max or a DOLLARs worth tops

Apos
03-28-2012, 03:04 AM
Thanks Mike,Always good to have a variety of opinions. I've not experienced the things you are talking about nor do I focus seafood. Of course if I wanted seafood I'd go to a seafood restaurant not an Italian restaurant that focuses on pasta.No one is trying to portray this or any restaurant as perfect or above having an off night and it's certainly possible that their idea of what Seafood Pasta is does not jive with how you would make it, but you seem to be actually accusing them wilfully ripping you off. :surprised: That type of behaviour has not been evident in the many meals I have had there. I guess everyone gets treated differently in life. Did you even attempt to bring this to the attention of the owners? Why would you keep returning and ordering the same dish when it's obviously not to your liking? :confused: You still hangout with Nomad? (Did you ever?) It seems he has not posted since 2006...and you joined here well after that. Why drop his name? Perhaps I'll go ask the patrons at some other restaurants about you two. :rolleyes: When was your last meal at Hostaria BTW? How is the Sea Breeze these days?Thanks for expressing your opinion, it was entertaining if totally different than my experience. If you won't let me buy you a meal it'd be interesting to see what you think is a good restaurant. You don't have to buy me dinner or even join me but you might start your own thread and let us know where you would recommend to eat when in Sosua. Just out of curiosity and for comparison sake if nothing else."You can't please everyone", nor should you try. :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ukdoK3l4aM4 http://mashable.com/2012/03/27/eat-it-dont-tweet-it-music-video/

mikelodge
03-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks Mike,

Always good to have a variety of opinions. I've not experienced the things you are talking about nor do I focus seafood. Of course if I wanted seafood I'd go to a seafood restaurant not an Italian restaurant that focuses on pasta.

No one is trying to portray this or any restaurant as perfect or above having an off night and it's certainly possible that their idea of what Seafood Pasta is does not jive with how you would make it, but you seem to be actually accusing them wilfully ripping you off. :surprised:

That type of behaviour has not been evident in the many meals I have had there. I guess everyone gets treated differently in life. Did you even attempt to bring this to the attention of the owners? Why would you keep returning and ordering the same dish when it's obviously not to your liking? :confused:

You still hangout with Nomad? (Did you ever?) It seems he has not posted since 2006...and you joined here well after that. Why drop his name? Perhaps I'll go ask the patrons at some other restaurants about you two. :rolleyes: When was your last meal at Hostaria BTW? How is the Sea Breeze these days?

Thanks for expressing your opinion, it was entertaining if totally different than my experience. If you won't let me buy you a meal it'd be interesting to see what you think is a good restaurant. You don't have to buy me dinner or even join me but you might start your own thread and let us know where you would recommend to eat when in Sosua. Just out of curiosity and for comparison sake if nothing else.

"You can't please everyone", nor should you try. :wink:

My last meal there was in January when someone I was with wanted to eat some pasta there as we walked by. Why order the same thing is really quite simple for one thing I like seafood and hoped it would be better which in a beach town on the sea one would think it would be. As to my favorite for Italian in town Bologna is better in my opinion by far and I like the Italian food at D'Piero hotel.
Baileys and Morua Mai are good places to eat too but a bit more money than the rest.
Maybe some people who live in town will share their opinion on Italian food in town. All I am saying is if Hosteria was a couple of blocks up on PC I would guess they would do much less business most of the time and that most of their business comes from them being on the one busiest block in town.
We all have different opinions on food and I was just pointing out 2 experiences there. To offer Veal and it to not be Veal and to offer mixed seafood and get mostly octopus and a couple small clams was disappointing but again if I am in town and with someone who wants to eat there I will try it again and see. Who knows maybe Apos will be lurking there :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:

El-Rey
03-28-2012, 07:40 AM
If you want ALOT of seafood, Mofongo King on the Beach. Its their Seafood Pasta, I was too hungry to take pics. My boy had it a few trips ago so I wanted to indulge.
Lobster, Shrimp etc etc.. Huge plate and lots of food.

mikelodge
03-28-2012, 07:48 PM
If you want ALOT of seafood, Mofongo King on the Beach. Its their Seafood Pasta, I was too hungry to take pics. My boy had it a few trips ago so I wanted to indulge.

Sounds great, How old is your boy and would you say it was enough food for an adult to be full? Thanks

Apos
03-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Mofongo King is another favourite of mine, especially on the beach. I will be reviewing it soon, time and energy permitting. Aris #68 is another and both offer excellent food, service location and view, and soon their own threads. :wink::lol:

mikelodge
03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Mofongo King is another favourite of mine, especially on the beach. I will be reviewing it soon, time and energy permitting. Aris #68 is another and both offer excellent food, service location and view, and soon their own threads. :wink::lol:

Sure than you can buy me lunch at both of those than I accept, Thanks for the offer :lol: :corky:

But than I insist you try live grilled Lobster at D'Piero hotel on me. :wink:

I ate at Mofongo in Medellin but I am sure it is not the same :rofl:

http://thumbs.ifood.tv/files/images/food/grilled-rock-lobster-01.jpg

http://img4.myrecipes.com/i/recipes/ck/08/09/lobster-tails-ck-1835259-l.jpg

DCIronman
03-29-2012, 07:31 AM
I ate at Mofongo in Medellin but I am sure it is not the same :rofl:

Mike, did you eat at "Mofongo" in Medellin? Or did you eat at Mondongo? I've eaten at Mondongo myself. It's one of the most popular places in the Poblado/Parque Lleras area to go and have the traditional Colombian "bandera" meal, or the Mondongo after which the restaurant is named. Mondongo is sort of a soup or stew that is a whole lot closer IMO to sancocho than to mofongo.

Colombians also make their own version of sancocho too. But I've yet to see mofongo there. And I'd love to since I'm a fiend for it. Especially mofongo con camarrones criollo.

mikelodge
03-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Mike, did you eat at "Mofongo" in Medellin? Or did you eat at Mondongo? I've eaten at Mondongo myself. It's one of the most popular places in the Poblado/Parque Lleras area to go and have the traditional Colombian "bandera" meal, or the Mondongo after which the restaurant is named. Mondongo is sort of a soup or stew that is a whole lot closer IMO to sancocho than to mofongo.

Colombians also make their own version of sancocho too. But I've yet to see mofongo there. And I'd love to since I'm a fiend for it. Especially mofongo con camarrones criollo.

I think you are right they are spelled different. The one in Poblado as you go up the hill is on the left side of the road by the Parque and there is also one in Laureles near the Hotel Lincoln on the main street about 1 block away that I ate at, it is upstairs overlooking the main street there. I agree with you they are very popular and busy with some great local food.