PDA

View Full Version : Tourist visa possibly 60% more expensive

gmalet
02-15-2007, 07:11 AM
A representative of the Department of Tourism recently announced that the government is considering increasing the charge for tourist visas from 5 USD to 8 USD.
The increase would be charged from May this year, so that the tourist organisations have time to modify their rates for holidaymakers planning a trip to the Dominican Republic. The 5 USD rate has been in force since November 2005, and to date has added 21.8 million dollars to the government's budget. The increase to 8 USD would bring this income up to 35 million dollars for the Department of Tourism, this year alone. The various representatives of the tourism industry (travel agencies, hotels and airlines) have agreed to this increase, provided the money is used to improve the infrastructure for the tourism sector.
Source: El Caribe.

Rocky
02-15-2007, 08:34 AM
That's strange.
I paid 10 bucks when I first moved here in '91, and as best as I know, it's still 10 bucks.

Apos
02-15-2007, 08:41 AM
it was 2 weeks ago and has been since atleast jan 2004.

just goes to show; don't believe everything you read:rolleyes: :lol:

weyland
02-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Maybe it's been $5 all along and the airport guys have been working a nice little scam since 1991.

guttaman
02-15-2007, 09:19 AM
This might be part of that hotel tax shit they shelved at the beginning of the year. I know there was a big pissing match about it from the hotel and tourism group. Probally tacked on to the AI packages. I believe the word visa should be tax in the OP.

Citynights
02-15-2007, 01:18 PM
$20 depature tax is that part of it or is it seperate from the tourist cards...

SJG
02-15-2007, 01:48 PM
$20 depature tax is that part of it or is it seperate from the tourist cards...

Departure tax? Unless it was bundled into my airfare, I never paid it. Perhaps the tourist cards are $5 each way and will be increased to $8 each way, or $16 for the card? I'm confused....

guttaman
02-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Departure tax? Unless it was bundled into my airfare, I never paid it. Perhaps the tourist cards are $5 each way and will be increased to $8 each way, or $16 for the card? I'm confused....

The $20 is already added to non charter flights. Tourist card is $10. This thread was lost in translation from the start.

weyland
02-15-2007, 02:06 PM
The $20 is already added to non charter flights. Tourist card is $10. This thread was lost in translation from the start.
That works for charter flights from the UK. $10 to get into the country and $20 dollars to get out of it. Plus $100 a day to stay fed, watered, sheltered and healthy while you are there. Plus $50 to $100 a day to stay sexually satisfied. Makes the taxes look trivial if you amortise them over the length of your stay (typically 7 or 14 days for charter flights)!

guttaman
02-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Read DR1. Explained there.

Rocky
02-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Read DR1. Explained there.I did read it, and it's as clear as mud, as to how it's collected, or whether it would raise the traveler's costs of entry & departure, or if the DR government will just take a larger slice of the presently collected taxes.

guttaman
02-15-2007, 04:49 PM
I did read it, and it's as clear as mud, as to how it's collected, or whether it would raise the traveler's costs of entry & departure, or if the DR government will just take a larger slice of the presently collected taxes.

Looks like they will add it onto airfare. In years to come they will be handing out small tubes of KY for all the different ways they plan on reaming the tourist.

Jimmydr
02-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Looks like they will add it onto airfare. In years to come they will be handing out small tubes of KY for all the different ways they plan on reaming the tourist.

Still better than American incall.

Cuba Libre
02-15-2007, 10:47 PM
This might be part of that hotel tax shit they shelved at the beginning of the year. I know there was a big pissing match about it from the hotel and tourism group. Probally tacked on to the AI packages. I believe the word visa should be tax in the OP.You're right. It's neither the Tourist Card or the Depature tax. It's part of another tax/fee that was added fairly recently. It's being recinded and replaced by this new tax/fee.

Cuba Libre
02-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Departure tax? Unless it was bundled into my airfare, I never paid it. Perhaps the tourist cards are $5 each way and will be increased to $8 each way, or $16 for the card? I'm confused....The $20 Depature tax is usually added to your ticket price. This $5 tax/fee is either part of the $25US "Dom. Republic Airport Authority Fee" or the $25US "Dom. Republic Airport Infrastructure Fee". Either way it means another $3 of fees, which now total about $120US, if you are traveling from the US (about $50US of those taxes/fees are US imposed).

Hemp
02-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Still better than American incall.

you got that right!!!!!!!!!!