PDA

View Full Version : Caribe Tour bus from Santiago to Sosua

panicmechanic
03-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Has anyone reserved a ticket on the Caribe Tour website for the first bus of the day from Santiago to Sosua? According to the schedule it looks like it rolls into el Jardines at 0700. I am just wondering about this as I don't want to be left high and dry. The First Metro bus is 0900 1000hrs. Thanks in advance!

Apos
03-30-2012, 06:43 PM
I didn't know that you could pay thru the website...I doubt you really can.

Go have a nice leisurely breakfast somewhere and then take the Metro,
it's easier and more convenient anyway. :D

naptime
03-30-2012, 07:02 PM
the first caribe from sti to sosua does not leave at 7, this much i know. the first bus is at... 8:15 am

metro is at 9.

metro makes 1 stop iirc in pop, and continues to sosua, and drops you off a block from rocky's

caribe makes several stops, takes about 45 minutes to an hour longer, and drops you off in charamicos.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/jaythomson/dominican%202010/october%20trip/DSCF5824.jpg

naptime
03-30-2012, 07:03 PM
i would not buy the ticket online.

buy it at the window.

TonyT
03-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Unless it's changed in a month they will only sell tickets 30 minutes or so before the bus leaves. If you get to the station early walk 100 yards and hang out at Metro, they have a much nicer station. Oh, and take a shit before you get there ****neither bus station has toilet seats****

miggy99
03-30-2012, 08:52 PM
I didn't know that you could pay thru the website...I doubt you really can.

Go have a nice leisurely breakfast somewhere and then take the Metro,
it's easier and more convenient anyway. :D You don't pay online but I know with Metro you can reserve a seat without paying.

Apos
03-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Link?
You don't pay online but I know with Metro you can reserve a seat without paying.I've purchased a ticket a day in advance but always in person.

el toro
03-30-2012, 11:41 PM
I took Caribe tours from Sd to Sosua two weeks ago and it really does kind of suck. It's like a local and hood bus and Metro I believe is more express and comfortable. I'm not going to say never again, but I definitely couldn't take that bus every trip.

SrSuerte
03-31-2012, 06:39 AM
The 8:20 Metro bus in the other direction is not a bad ride at all. I was sleep when I was not engaged on conversation woth the chica next to me. She got on in Santiago. I dont think that I am going to try Caribe.

harlem hec
03-31-2012, 11:08 AM
caribe tours SUCKS!!

first off it leaves you in charamicos I believe

One time the metro was sold out for the 6pm back to sosua and I walked down and took caribe tours....I had to switch buses like 5 times and every switch the new bus was even more packed....got to charamicos at 9ish then had to moto back to el batey

take the METRO...you get a seat and you are there in 2 hours flat....bring a sweater or something cause it gets cold!

miggy99
03-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Link?I've purchased a ticket a day in advance but always in person. Yes I've done that as well--the reservation I made was calling from the USA to their website #.

SrSuerte
03-31-2012, 05:29 PM
bring a sweater or something cause it gets cold!

Remember that!!!!!!! Im glad that I was told ahead of time that it would be cold.

naptime
03-31-2012, 06:59 PM
i pack an airplane blanket specifically for that ride!

Dvdmdz
04-01-2012, 07:53 AM
The 8:20 Metro bus in the other direction is not a bad ride at all. I was sleep when I was not engaged on conversation woth the chica next to me. She got on in Santiago. I dont think that I am going to try Caribe.

I used the metro bus from sosua to santiago. purchased ticket 200pesos day prior. The bus ride was surprisingly comfortable . Only two stops , 1 1/2 hour trip with nice chicas on board. :iconTU: but remember very cold A/C:iconTU:

panicmechanic
04-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks so much for info to all, Metro it is and I will have a large breakfast beforehand! Thanks again!

MrHappy
04-01-2012, 07:31 PM
You can buy tickets ahead of time, but there are no "Reservations".

When it's time to board, it's "first come, first served"

During busy seasons, if you get there too late, you'll be on the next bus. Trust me.

Rubicon
04-03-2012, 11:01 AM
I used the metro bus from sosua to santiago. purchased ticket 200pesos day prior. The bus ride was surprisingly comfortable . Only two stops , 1 1/2 hour trip with nice chicas on board. :iconTU: but remember very cold A/C:iconTU:

Do you recall where the two stops were? Just took the Metro yesterday morning from Puerto Plata to Santiago, 11am departure, 160 pesos, and 1 hour 15 minutes. I don't know if it originated in Sosua but, whether it did or not, once we left PP we didn't stop again until we arrived in Santiago.

Dvdmdz
04-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Do you recall where the two stops were? Just took the Metro yesterday morning from Puerto Plata to Santiago, 11am departure, 160 pesos, and 1 hour 15 minutes. I don't know if it originated in Sosua but, whether it did or not, once we left PP we didn't stop again until we arrived in Santiago.

I boarded metro @ the Sosua Station (gas station across street from playero). First stop was @ puertoplata . Second stop was Los Jardines Santiago.:iconTU:

naptime
04-03-2012, 02:29 PM

in pop. only 1 though i believe.

Dvdmdz
04-03-2012, 02:37 PM

TRUE THAT...........:iconTU:

Rubicon
04-03-2012, 05:28 PM
I boarded metro @ the Sosua Station (gas station across street from playero). First stop was @ puertoplata . Second stop was Los Jardines Santiago.:iconTU:

Ok, I got it now. Two stops to include the stop in Santiago.

I had interpreted the original comment to mean two stops after leaving Sosua but before arriving in Santiago.

lateforwork
05-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Where is the Metro bus station in Santiago? Is it far from the airport?

TNT72
05-01-2012, 11:06 PM

You'll have to get a taxi for either buses.

Rubicon
05-02-2012, 12:02 AM

It's about a 20 minute ride. Youll have to get a taxi at the airport.

BadJokes
10-18-2012, 09:04 AM
It's about a 20 minute ride. You'll have to get a taxi at the airport.

How much is the taxi fare from STI to the Metro station? I can save about $200. flying in STI vs POP but don't want to negate the savings on taxi fare.

Also...anybody ever caught a cab from the POP metro station to Black Beards?

TNT72
10-18-2012, 09:14 AM
How much is the taxi fare from STI to the Metro station? I can save about $200. flying in STI vs POP but don't want to negate the savings on taxi fare.

Should be around 500-700 pesos.

bailar
10-18-2012, 09:50 AM
A cab STI to Black Beards would probably be 60-80 dollars depending on your negotiating skills. If you can contact one before and have one waiting for you it would be cheaper than getting off the plane and negotiating at the airport.

BorisDaBulletDodger
10-18-2012, 08:26 PM
A cab STI to Black Beards would probably be 60-80 dollars depending on your negotiating skills. If you can contact one before and have one waiting for you it would be cheaper than getting off the plane and negotiating at the airport.

Will find out in 2 weeks, I think I will reserve a rental, and see how much it will be for a cab to Sosua, I only need a rental car for 3 days so if it is about the same price I will just cab it.

DCIronman
10-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Will find out in 2 weeks, I think I will reserve a rental, and see how much it will be for a cab to Sosua, I only need a rental car for 3 days so if it is about the same price I will just cab it.

A cab from STI to Sosua will run you somewhere between $75-100USD depending upon the driver and the time of day (or night) you want to go to Sosua. Including all available liability insurance (which I highly recommend), a 3 day car rental with a dependable agency is going to run you a bit more than $100. But you'd have transpo when you got to Sosua. Which could save you money in other ways.

Kinda depends upon where you want to save money.

TNT72
10-18-2012, 08:46 PM

Cab from Santiago to Sosua, during normal hours, $70-$75, After hours (like a Spirit flight) $80.

BadJokes
10-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Decided to just fly into POP.

After all the cab and bus fairs both ways, i'd only be saving $60 bucks by coming into STI.

BorisDaBulletDodger
10-18-2012, 10:15 PM
A cab from STI to Sosua will run you somewhere between $75-100USD depending upon the driver and the time of day (or night) you want to go to Sosua. Including all available liability insurance (which I highly recommend), a 3 day car rental with a dependable agency is going to run you a bit more than $100. But you'd have transpo when you got to Sosua. Which could save you money in other ways.

Kinda depends upon where you want to save money.

Not really about money within reason I was checking and the rental car with the cheaper insurance (intermediate size) was about $135 and I was thinking $60 gas, to make it an even $200. I am putting it on my Amex card.

The issue was WTF am I going to do. Assuming the flight is on time and I get into STI at 3am, and I get out of immigration at 4am. Now that Passions is closed, it limits my options.

CAB
it is only like an hour drive by cab to Sosua (arrive between 5-6am). I probably won't be able to check in to the hotel to 8am? Any activity would involve carrying my backpack around WITH some kind of Duty free bag

RENTAL CAR
figure it will take another 30 minutes for rental car dude to process the car, I get out of the airport lets say 4:30am at the earliest, and will give me the option of napping in the car or driving looking for whores and Dulce secreto although it may be a long shot before checking in to the hotel. Of course there is the possible headache of renting a car, which might be a gamble from experience. There might be the possibilty this car might be parked for 3 days until I need to return on Sunday around midnight.

In the back of my mind I will by hoping for the first time, that Spirit will be late. But since they are douchebags, they will probably depart early.

BorisDaBulletDodger
10-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Cab from Santiago to Sosua, during normal hours, $70-$75, After hours (like a Spirit flight) $80.

I wonder how the mafia will be, at SDQ I heard prices of $20 to Boca Chica, but it took me about 15 minutes to get to $25 from $30 until I realized I was sweating over another $5:rofl:

deezl
10-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Not really about money within reason I was checking and the rental car with the cheaper insurance (intermediate size) was about $135 and I was thinking $60 gas, to make it an even $200. I am putting it on my Amex card.

The issue was WTF am I going to do. Assuming the flight is on time and I get into STI at 3am, and I get out of immigration at 4am. Now that Passions is closed, it limits my options.

CAB
it is only like an hour drive by cab to Sosua (arrive between 5-6am). I probably won't be able to check in to the hotel to 8am? Any activity would involve carrying my backpack around WITH some kind of Duty free bag

RENTAL CAR
figure it will take another 30 minutes for rental car dude to process the car, I get out of the airport lets say 4:30am at the earliest, and will give me the option of napping in the car or driving looking for whores and Dulce secreto although it may be a long shot before checking in to the hotel. Of course there is the possible headache of renting a car, which might be a gamble from experience. There might be the possibilty this car might be parked for 3 days until I need to return on Sunday around midnight.

In the back of my mind I will by hoping for the first time, that Spirit will be late. But since they are douchebags, they will probably depart early.

i've heard vintage (the club @ hotel matum) is still hopping at 4am, you could check that place out, take your chica over to a cabana and just crash there for the night and get a fresh start in the morning

TNT72
10-18-2012, 11:10 PM
I wonder how the mafia will be, at SDQ I heard prices of $20 to Boca Chica, but it took me about 15 minutes to get to $25 from $30 until I realized I was sweating over another $5:rofl:

Why the hell did you work the price up, to try to sweat working the price down $5?

Your confusing me like Jimmy does.

deezl
10-18-2012, 11:17 PM

Why the hell did you work the price up, to try to sweat working the price down $5?

Your confusing me like Jimmy does.

i think he's saying that he heard the price was $20, but he had to work a driver down (or keep shooing away drivers quoting $30) to $25.

Seville
10-18-2012, 11:20 PM

POP Metro station to BB should be no more than 350 pesos.

BorisDaBulletDodger
10-19-2012, 12:52 AM
i think he's saying that he heard the price was $20, but he had to work a driver down (or keep shooing away drivers quoting $30) to $25.

Yes, sorry for the confusion

BorisDaBulletDodger
10-19-2012, 12:55 AM
i've heard vintage (the club @ hotel matum) is still hopping at 4am, you could check that place out, take your chica over to a cabana and just crash there for the night and get a fresh start in the morning

Is this like a real club or a whore house? If it is a real club, does it require pants?

deezl
10-19-2012, 02:55 AM
Is this like a real club or a whore house? If it is a real club, does it require pants?

it's a regular club but frequented by chicas in search of pesos.

i don't think they'd let you in with shorts on but you could get away with jeans.

TNT72
10-19-2012, 11:25 AM
You can buy tickets ahead of time, but there are no "Reservations".

When it's time to board, it's "first come, first served"

During busy seasons, if you get there too late, you'll be on the next bus. Trust me.

Or paying 5500 pesos for a taxi to Sosua!:corky::corky:

Rubicon
10-19-2012, 09:42 PM

If I remember right, my first ride from STI to the bus station was $20.00 (I was actually quoted $20.00 in english and guess there must have been something about me that screamed "gringo"). After that it varied from 600-700 pesos. I see you posted that you decided to fly in to POP. To be honest, I would do the STI route as there is still about $140.00 savings. Could easily pay for a couple of nights lodging and possibly a meal or two.

Citynights
10-20-2012, 03:33 PM
I took Caribe tours from Sd to Sosua two weeks ago and it really does kind of suck. It's like a local and hood bus and Metro I believe is more express and comfortable. I'm not going to say never again, but I definitely couldn't take that bus every trip.

I have taken the Metro a few times....Sousa to SD & SD to Sousa....they have a toilet on the bus... very comfortable...make sure to have a warm jacket beacause they luv to crank up the AC...
the price was less than 320-360 pesos..

TNT72
10-20-2012, 04:20 PM
I have taken the Metro a few times....Sousa to SD & SD to Sousa....they have a toilet on the bus... very comfortable...make sure to have a warm jacket beacause they luv to crank up the AC...
the price was less than 320-360 pesos..

After having been on both, I prefer Metro.

While I haven't taken Metro from Santo Domingo, I know Metro is faster. I was taking Carribe from Sosua to SD. A Metro bus left after us. Beat us to SD by an hour. That was the day I missed my flight.

Plus, Metro bus was in better shape. Although, calling Carribe a hood bus, I would not. They are both wayyy nicer than most people would think of a bus in a Third World country. Most people get images of people riding on the hood, and chickens on the bus.

BorisDaBulletDodger
05-01-2013, 11:09 PM

Researching my next trip debating to take the Metro again or not, BTW a cab in November 2012 cost me $85 one way, in case anyone was wondering how much it was to Sosua. I don't think I haggled at all since I was so pissed about Avis being closed and not other car rental places besides National was open and they had only 1 expensive car, and it was 5am:mad::mad::rofl::rofl: