PDA

View Full Version : Armed men assault Cabarete hotel

Vincent Vega
02-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Four strongly armed men assaulted Thursday at dawn an hotel in Cabarete where they stoled thousands of dollars, a car and precious articles. According to the police the subjects attacked the executives of the Hotel Isla Verde with pistols and forced them to open the safe of the establishment. From the safe the delinquents took eleven thousand 800 dollars, precious articles and documents of the commercial establishment, as well as a car, property of the hotel. After committing the crime, the subjects left quickly from the Hotel and shot the night watchman who was unharmed.
Source in spanish:
http://www.periodicoelfaro.com. (http://www.periodicoelfaro.com.do/1267/hombres.htm#)

Beads
02-17-2007, 02:04 PM
interesting thanks for sharing.

guttaman
02-17-2007, 02:33 PM
To think that some people suggest keeping your valuables in the big hotel safe. $11,800 in cash. Can you say inside job?

Rocky
02-17-2007, 07:20 PM
To think that some people suggest keeping your valuables in the big hotel safe. $11,800 in cash. Can you say inside job?I would still recommend it.
Think about how frequently dudes get ripped off by the chicas who are spending the night with them, versus how many times armed robbers rob a hotel safe.
The odds are still in your favour, keeping your valuables in a safe.
Nothing is impenetrable, not even Fort Knox, but the harder you make it for the thieves, the better your odds to not become a victim.

ajax718
02-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Sounds like an inside job is right. I wonder if people who left money in that safe will be reimbursed.

Rocky
02-17-2007, 11:40 PM
Sounds like an inside job is right. It depends on your interpretation of an inside job.
If you mean that the thieves had info that there was booty to be found there, then yes, most likely.
If you mean that it was set up by an employee, it could be, but there's no reason to believe that.
Dominicans pass around info as a way of life. They know everybody's business. It's a cultural thing.

I wonder if people who left money in that safe will be reimbursed. Not bloody likely, Maybe in the US you could have a case in civil court, but you'd never win that here in the DR.
I believe that even in the US, in a bank, unless you declare what's in a safety deposit box, you couldn't claim it from an insurance company, even less from the bank, not that US laws apply here.

Deniro
02-18-2007, 12:28 AM
I believe that even in the US, in a bank, unless you declare what's in a safety deposit box, you couldn't claim it from an insurance company, even less from the bank...

off topic:

safety deposit boxes are insured for $60.000 each (CIBC bank). so, let's say the bank burns down and the boxes get destroyed you'd be entitled to $60.000 for each box, no matter whether the box was empty or full of diamonds.

MrHappy
02-19-2007, 12:16 PM
An accident looking for a place to happen.. Cabarete has been the sleeply little coastal town for too long without having a problem.
I'm surprised it took this long for the druggies to find out where to hit.