PDA

View Full Version : Oscar de la Renta backs Adriano Espaillat

NewsWhore
04-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Dominican fashion designer Oscar de la Renta announced his support to Adriano Espaillat for a seat in Congress. He would replace Representative Charlie Rangel. De la Renta called for Dominicans to vote to lead Espaillat to become the first Dominican legislator for the district that extends from Upper Manhattan into the Bronx. Rangel has served as Representative to the 15th District for the past 40 years.

Espaillat is currently a New York state senator. Other contenders who seek to defeat Rangel for the Democratic nomination are Clyde Williams, Joyce Johnson and Craig Schley.

In his official endorsement statement, De la Renta said:

"I am proud to endorse Adriano Espaillat for Congress and I call on all Democrats, particularly the Latino and Dominican communities, to join me in rallying behind Adriano's historic run to change the political landscape of this country.

"Our communities are at a crossroads and we need leadership that can help us meet the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead. Senator Adriano Espaillat's record clearly indicates that he will bring bold, new ideas to move our communities forward. I am fully committed to add my voice to help elect Adriano to Congress."

The Huffington Post says this is not the first time De la Renta openly makes a contribution to politics.

It reports that the designer had donated money to the Democratic National Committee in 2010, to Hillary Clinton in 2007, and in 2004, the Republican National Committee and Dick Gephardt. But then concludes that his biggest contribution to American politics, however, hasn't been money, but style. "Nancy Reagan, Hillary Clinton and Laura Bush have all worn de la Renta's dresses during their tenure as First Lady, and the designer desperately wants to dress Michelle Obama," says the feature.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/17/oscar-de-la-renta-endorses-adriano-espaillat-charles-rangel-congress_n_1432678.html

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#10)