Cheeno
02-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey guys :smile:

Here is info. on an upcoming Carnaval.

Have a good day.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/imagehosting/581145d86687080be.jpg

ChicaRider
02-18-2007, 01:18 PM
...and every Sunday before that in La Vega :)

MegaSquirt
02-18-2007, 01:55 PM
March 4Th??? Dammit! I'll be heading back home that day.
But, I will be visiting La Vega. Is anyone from ISOC will be in Santo Domingo to see the Carnival? I would appreciate a followup report and especially some pictures. So much to do, so little time.

prtyr2
02-18-2007, 03:10 PM
The march 4th event in santo domingo is a parade featuring carnaval groups from all over the island. It is sort of the official wrap up of carnaval. I'll be in la vega next week for carnaval but will most likely miss the SD parade.

If ya wanna see the SD parade as well as other carnavals from recent years

http://www.dr-tourist.tv/pages/carnaval.html

Beads
02-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Is it only in SD on March 4th?

prtyr2
02-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Pretty much. Only the parade.

Beads
02-18-2007, 05:48 PM
hrmm thats on Sunday. What time does it start?

Cheeno
02-18-2007, 06:46 PM
March 4Th??? Dammit! I'll be heading back home that day.
But, I will be visiting La Vega. Is anyone from ISOC will be in Santo Domingo to see the Carnival? I would appreciate a followup report and especially some pictures. So much to do, so little time.

I hear ya. I know that feeling. :mrgreen:

Beads
02-21-2007, 06:39 PM
I wonder if the guys are up for a road trip.......

Rocky
02-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Careful in those carnivals.
Don't get yourself caught up in a crowd.
Criminals love to work big crowds.
There's an ongoing thread on DR1 about what happened to the dude at the La Vega carnival.
I WON'T ever go to them.
Watch it from a balcony, yes, but never mingle with the crowd,

Don Tomas
02-21-2007, 06:46 PM
There's an ongoing thread on DR1 about what happened to the dude at the La Vega carnival.
I WON'T ever go to them.

Any chance of a quick recap for us of what happened? I saw one thread about some guy who is 6'3" 300lbs. that had his arm broken, but at 300lbs, that could have happened from him sitting down the wrong way! 300lbs at any height is one fat MFer.

Rocky
02-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Any chance of a quick recap for us of what happened? I saw one thread about some guy who is 6'3" 300lbs. that had his arm broken, but at 300lbs, that could have happened from him sitting down the wrong way! 300lbs at any height is one fat MFer.He's a well built healthy big dude, and a group of tigres surrounded him and his GF and were walking him around.
He doesn't detail how he broke loose, but it would appear he had to fight.
They can so easily shank you when you're surrounded like that, and nobody else would even know, as you hit the ground, and they relieve you of your stuff while you bleed to death.
I've had 3 pickpockets try to work me in less than 5 minutes at a POP patronales.

Don Tomas
02-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Rocky I hope you are not referring to the same guy. Healthy & 300lbs don't belong in the same sentence. Personally I am 6'3" and have never weighed more then 225 in my entire life. A old friend of mine was a bodybuilder at 6'1" and he weighed at most 240. Linemen in the NFL might be 6'3"/300lbs but I wouldn't describe them as healthy, when their waists are bigger then their chests.

Sorry to hear what happened to the guy but that could happen anywhere in the world in large crowds. You should always take care in a large crowd.

Rocky
02-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Rocky I hope you are not referring to the same guy. Healthy & 300lbs don't belong in the same sentence. Personally I am 6'3" and have never weighed more then 225 in my entire life. A old friend of mine was a bodybuilder at 6'1" and he weighed at most 240. Linemen in the NFL might be 6'3"/300lbs but I wouldn't describe them as healthy, when their waists are bigger then their chests.

Sorry to hear what happened to the guy but that could happen anywhere in the world in large crowds. You should always take care in a large crowd.Two different guys.
I don't know your 300 pound dude.
This guy is prime, the one on DR1.
I agree that this could happen anywhere in the world.
It's just that we tend to let our guards down in the DR, as the people are so friendly and easy going.

Beads
02-21-2007, 07:18 PM
I WON'T ever go to them.

Watch it from a balcony sounds like good advise for me!

Thanks.

Have to do a little more research and see where this parade goes and what would be a good hotel with a balcony to watch it from.

Rocky
02-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Watch it from a balcony sounds like good advise for me!

Thanks.

Have to do a little more research and see where this parade goes and what would be a good hotel with a balcony to watch it from.I went to one of the Feb 27th carnivals in Santo Domingo, 13 or 14 years ago, and we sat in a pizza parlor, that had a high terrace, and that worked pretty well.

Beads
02-21-2007, 07:33 PM
I would be staying overnight for sure. Going to SD on like Saturday during the day or evening for 1 night and possibly staying Sunday night also depending when it ends.

I think it could be interesting to see. Like any other plan in the DR it could fall apart at any moment of course but I would like to keep the option on my plate.

I definitely like the idea of getting a hotel with a nice blacony view of the parade. Anyone ever been to this who knows about what time this starts/finishes on Sunday? Maybe recommend a good hotel I can see it from?

continentalmike
02-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I'll be in SDQ on the 4th!

Cheeno
02-22-2007, 11:25 AM

Sorry to hear what happened to the guy but that could happen anywhere in the world in large crowds. You should always take care in a large crowd.

I'm only 5'10" and 155 pounds so I would probably become a Korean pancake if I attended the Carnival. lol

P.S. Its nice to see you again!!! Welcome back!!! :iconTU:

Cheeno
02-22-2007, 11:29 AM
I went to one of the Feb 27th carnivals in Santo Domingo, 13 or 14 years ago, and we sat in a pizza parlor, that had a high terrace, and that worked pretty well.

You visited Santo Domingo 13, 14 years ago?!? Lucky you!!! :biggrin:

13, 14 years ago, I was deliverying Chinese noodles and dumplings on a bike, making 2,000 won per hour (around a $2.50 USD). lol

Beads
02-22-2007, 11:32 AM
I'll be in SDQ on the 4th!

Im thinking about it myself. Not set in stone but looking over possibilities. Id like to find a nice hotel with a blacony I can watch from and hang out and party from the balcony for a night or 2.

Rocky
02-22-2007, 11:40 AM
You visited Santo Domingo 13, 14 years ago?!? Lucky you!!! :biggrin:

13, 14 years ago, I was deliverying Chinese noodles and dumplings on a bike, making 2,000 won per hour (around a $2.50 USD). lolI think we ate those noodles for supper, that night.:)