PDA

View Full Version : Elections 2012 Dominican Republic

MrHappy
05-20-2012, 08:15 PM
First bulletin gives the PLD (Danilo) 51% of the vote, with PRD (Hipolito) with 46% 200K votes

That's the spread that the majority of the polling companies have been indicating for the last few months.

I'm guessing it's gonna go that way all night.

If it keeps going that way, the PLD will win in the first round of voting (50% + 1 vote)

Oh, and folks been drinking for a few hours already.

MrHappy
05-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Third bulletin at 9:15pm gives the PLD (Danilo) 51% of the vote, with PRD (Hipolito) with 46% (600K votes)

This may be over pretty quick.

Here's the 9:15 diagram....

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=47417&d=1337560697

WickedWillie
05-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Not going to be good night to be out in any PRD strongholds. Like Sosua. Staying home is in order.

MrHappy
05-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Not going to be good night to be out in any PRD strongholds. Like Sosua. Staying home is in order.

Not no more, it ain't.

WickedWillie
05-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Not no more, it ain't.

Thats the point. Supporters in areas that have or had majority PRD support are gonna be pissed, Dominican stylee:wink:

MrHappy
05-20-2012, 08:52 PM
9:30pm gives the PLD (Danilo) 51% of the vote, with PRD (Hipolito) with 46% (1 million votes)

hugrad95a
05-20-2012, 09:12 PM
PLD is Leonel correct? So if he wins, things will continue as the status quo..

MrHappy
05-20-2012, 09:16 PM

That's correct.

steviewonder
05-20-2012, 09:21 PM

That and no way is Margarita (now vice president, and wife of Leonel) going to move out of the Presidential Palace. It's reported she has over 3,000 designer hats, along w/ 2,000 prs. of shoes. Danilo will need to find another place to live:rofl:

MrHappy
05-20-2012, 09:28 PM
That and no way is Margarita (now vice president, and wife of Leonel) going to move out of the Presidential Palace. It's reported she has over 3,000 designer hats, along w/ 2,000 prs. of shoes. Danilo will need to find another place to live:rofl:

10:00 pm.. With a million and a half votes, the spread is slightly wider.

I'm calling it a night. I'd hazard to guess the Purple People have won another 4 years.

Skynyrd
05-20-2012, 09:32 PM
10:00 pm.. With a million and a half votes, the spread is slightly wider.

I'm calling it a night. I'd hazard to guess the Purple People have won another 4 years.

Thanks for the updates:iconTU:

Gutter Meat
05-20-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm down here in Sosua, it appears Papa lost.

hugrad95a
05-20-2012, 11:52 PM
How do Dominicans abroad vote.. I was watching CDN via internet and they were interviewing people in NYC. Do they have polling places abroad or do they cast absentee ballots...

hugrad95a
05-20-2012, 11:54 PM
BUENO PAPA SORRY FOR YOU EL PUEBLO DOMINICANO INTENTO DARTE OTRA OPORTUNIDAD PERO DANILO TE DEJO ATRAS PORQUE EL BA PALANTE CON MAMA.Posted by a facebook amiga.

MrHappy
05-21-2012, 05:12 AM
How do Dominicans abroad vote.. I was watching CDN via internet and they were interviewing people in NYC. Do they have polling places abroad or do they cast absentee ballots...

They had polling places.

Here's the final tally from the local papers, it ran at 51- 46 through the entire count. Of course, in character for Hipolito, he couldn't concede. Now he accusing the winners of fraud, cedula buying, and generals in voting stations threatening folks:

Octavo Boletín de la JCE: PLD 51.30% y PRD un 46.91% (http://listindiario.com/la-republica/2012/5/21/233278/Octavo-Boletin-de-la-JCE-PLD-5130-y-PRD-un-4691)
Séptimo Boletín de la JCE: PLD 51.20% y PRD un 47.00% (http://listindiario.com/la-republica/2012/5/21/233271/Septimo-Boletin-de-la-JCE-PLD-5120-y-PRD-un-4700)
Sexto Boletín de la JCE: PLD 51.31% y PRD un 46.90% (http://listindiario.com/la-republica/2012/5/21/233267/Sexto-Boletin-de-la-JCE-PLD-5131-y-PRD-un-4690)
Quinto Boletín de la JCE: PLD 51.25% y PRD un 46.96% (http://listindiario.com/la-republica/2012/5/21/233254/Quinto-Boletin-de-la-JCE-PLD-5125-y-PRD-un-4696)
Cuarto Boletín de la JCE: PLD 51.40% y PRD un 46.78% (http://listindiario.com/la-republica/2012/5/21/233248/Cuarto-Boletin-de-la-JCE-PLD-5140-y-PRD-un-4678)
Tercer Boletín de la JCE: PLD 51.46%% y PRD un 46.68% (http://listindiario.com/la-republica/2012/5/20/233223/Tercer-Boletin-de-la-JCE-PLD-5146-y-PRD-un-4668)
Segundo Boletín de la JCE: PLD 51.29% y PRD 46.86% (http://listindiario.com/la-republica/2012/5/20/233199/Segundo-Boletin-de-la-JCE-PLD-5129-y-PRD-4686)
Primer Boletín de la JCE: PLD 51.02% y PRD 46.77% (http://listindiario.com/la-republica/2012/5/20/233179/Primer-Boletin-de-la-JCE-PLD-5102-y-PRD-4677)

jose1234
05-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Well, according to my security guy who is a Lt. Colonel in the military, there has been some problems here on the North Coast in the smaller villages. In Senaga neighborhood in Cabaretee there was a shoot-out last night with some PRD supporter. Also, a Colonel on the North Coast openly supporting Hipolito has called the election fraudulent. According to my security guy, the Colonel is in danger of getting killed. The common belief out here is that the USA control things and they wanted the PLD to win and the PRD people are pissed off and not accepting the results as legitimate. So, there could be some trouble for the next few days???

I have no clue personally what the heck is going on and who is even who...just saying what I'm hearing...

el_papi_chew_low
05-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Dominican election in dispute after apparent win
By BEN FOX and EZEQUIEL ABIU LOPEZ | Associated Press – 4 hrs ago

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — A governing party official appeared to have scored a first-round win in the Dominican Republic's presidential election but supporters of his main opponent complained of vote-buying and other forms of fraud and said they would challenge the results.

Danilo Medina of the current president's Dominican Liberation Party received just over 51 percent of Sunday's vote with 83 percent of the ballots counted, according to the Caribbean country's Electoral Commission. His main rival, former President Hipolito Mejia of the Dominican Revolutionary Party, had nearly 47 percent. The winner needed more than 50 percent to avoid a runoff.

Medina said he was confident he would win, but that the Electoral Commission would keep scrutinizing ballots through the night. He thanked a crowd of supporters and sent them home.
"We will celebrate in a big way tomorrow," he said.

Mejia did not concede and questioned the results as did others in his party. Luis Abinader, his vice presidential candidate, said the Dominican Revolutionary Party would present a report detailing irregularities on Monday.

"We are going to defend democracy," Abinader said. "We are going to show the country what really has happened today."
Mejia's representative on the Electoral Commission accused the ruling party of fraud, saying the former president should have received many more votes than the results reflected. "We all know what party the director of the Electoral Commission belongs to," he said at a news conference.

The balloting appeared orderly in general but there were widespread reports that backers of both parties were offering people payments of about $15 to vote for their candidate or to turn over their voting cards and withhold their vote. Campaign officials denied the allegations.

Observers from the Organization of American States confirmed incidents of vote-buying but not enough to taint the overall results of what was otherwise a "successful," election, said the head of the mission, Tabare Vazquez, a former president of Uruguay.

The candidates were vying to succeed President Leonel Fernandez, who spent $2.6 billion on such major infrastructure projects as a subway system, hospitals and roads to modernize a country that is the top tourist destination in the Caribbean but remains largely poor. Fernandez was barred by the Constitution from running for a third consecutive term.
Many voters conceded that Medina, a 60-year-old economist and stalwart of the Dominican Liberation Party, wasn't a particularly exciting candidate, but said they were eager for stability in a country with a history of economic and political turmoil.

"I don't want major change," said Amauris Chang, a 59-year-old shop owner. "I want the country to grow and I want it to be peaceful, and I think that's a common idea among people who are civilized."

Six candidates were running for president, but Medina's only real opponent was Mejia, who lost his bid for a second presidential term in 2004 because of a deep economic crisis sparked by the collapse of three banks.

Mejia and his Dominican Revolutionary Party have a devoted following. Supporters of the 71-year-old garrulous populist sought to portray some of the public works spending as wasteful and benefiting backers of the president, and insisted he wasn't to blame for the 2004 economic crisis.

"The crisis could have happened to any government. It had nothing to do with Hipolito Mejia," said 62-year-old maintenance man Alonso Calcano.

Demetrio Espinosa, a 60-year-old jobless resident of the capital's Colonial district, said Mejia understands the needs of poor people like him. He said most people can't afford to be treated in the new hospitals nor do they need a subway if they don't have a job.

"They made a lot of their friends into millionaires and spent the public's money," Espinosa said of the ruling party.
Besides president, Dominicans were electing a vice president from a field that included the heavily favored first lady, Margarita Cedeno de Fernandez, and seven members of the Chamber of Deputies who will represent people who have settled overseas. Tens of thousands were expected to cast ballots in places with large numbers of Dominicans, including New York, New Jersey, Florida and Puerto Rico.

Both presidential candidates proposed to increase spending on education and to do what they can to create jobs in a country of 10 million people that is largely dependent on tourism and where unemployment is officially about 14 percent, though the vast majority of workers are in the poorly paid informal sector. The typical salary for those who do have regular jobs is around $260 a month.

The Dominican Republic has also become an important route for drug smugglers seeking to reach the U.S. through nearby Puerto Rico and there are widespread concerns about the influence of drug trafficking. The candidates also traded accusations of incompetence and corruption.

uncle ruckus
05-21-2012, 12:09 PM
The purple team had to outspend the white team by 4:1 to get 51% of the vote. Good for them. Now Leonel and friends can keep looting the country for their personal gain while everyone outside Santo Domingo continues to barely make it through the day.

MrHappy
05-21-2012, 12:40 PM
The purple team had to outspend the white team by 4:1 to get 51% of the vote. Good for them. Now Leonel and friends can keep looting the country for their personal gain while everyone outside Santo Domingo continues to barely make it through the day.

It's boils down to whoever has access to the public's money while they're in office. The party that has access, spends it. This time, it was the purple party.

That's why both of them fight so hard to win, and why they're such sore losers.

MrHappy
05-21-2012, 01:59 PM
This just in:

Here's a video that was being shot by a news team when a shootout broke out in Santiago. People can't decide whether they want to rubber neck, or get behind cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvDRYK9Ayqs&feature=uploademail

Mr. Smooth
05-21-2012, 02:41 PM

When I had a chance to meet MrHappy in March, I had asked him about the candidates and about Leonel. He told me that very thing about SD. He was a very good president for the citizens of la capital, spending tons of money for infrastucture and public works projects while being not so good for the rest of the country.

I hope Danillo can be a good leader for everyone. With tourism being the big money maker, maybe he can have a say so in lowering the taxes and fees for the airlines to land at the various airports in the hope of reducing airfares for tourists and thereby bringing more tourist dollars to the island.

But...it would not surprise me if the tourist card fee jumps up from $10 to $20 sometime in the future.

whynotme
05-21-2012, 04:02 PM
[/QUOTE] =Mr. Smooth;1115830in the hope of reducing airfares for tourists and thereby bringing more tourist dollars to the island.But .it would not surprise me if the tourist card fee jumps up from $10 to $20 sometime in the future. [/QUOTE]

it wouldnt surprise me either as all governements the world over are run by politicians and not business people.

politicians will up the costs for tourists and when the numbers decrease they will raise the costs again:rolleyes:

it may be time for the people to oust their governments and instal buisness owners who know HOW to run a business:eek: but that would be too much forward thinking :rolleyes:

uncle ruckus
05-21-2012, 04:56 PM
It's boils down to whoever has access to the public's money while they're in office. The party that has access, spends it. This time, it was the purple party.

That's why both of them fight so hard to win, and why they're such sore losers.

Exactly. The OAS essentially said as much. According to them, they were proud that it was a non-violent election, BUT that they personally saw evidence of massive vote buying by the PLD and the obvious and embarrassing use of public/government funds for PLD political purposes.

BrooklynBeas
05-21-2012, 06:16 PM
I dont know if it's true or not, but back when Hippo aka Papa was president, the Peso went up to about 54-1 USD and the exchange rate was awesome for us Americans... Rumor I heard was Papa needed money, so he just printed more pesos, which brought the value down, and the dollar up... I know this sucks for Dominican people, but it sure made my few trips a whole lot cheaper and a lot more fun...

jcrew2020
05-21-2012, 08:01 PM
I dont know if it's true or not, but back when Hippo aka Papa was president, the Peso went up to about 54-1 USD and the exchange rate was awesome for us Americans... Rumor I heard was Papa needed money, so he just printed more pesos, which brought the value down, and the dollar up... I know this sucks for Dominican people, but it sure made my few trips a whole lot cheaper and a lot more fun...

When the pesos jumped to 50 to 1. Price went up at the same time. When they lower the pesos back to 28 to 1. Prices still stayed the same.

Jimmydr
05-21-2012, 08:04 PM
When the pesos jumped to 50 to 1. Price went up at the same time. When they lower the pesos back to 28 to 1. Prices still stayed the same.

A taxi was $24 from Santiago and now its $80. A taxi for all night was about $40 back in 2005 or 2006. Chicken dinners in a restaurant were $5.

MrHappy
05-21-2012, 08:09 PM

I know somebody (ahem) who bought Govt. CD's at 50% yearly interest, when the exchange was was over 50 to 1.

Then Lionel came into power, the peso dropped to 30, (almost doubling that persons money) then that person got 50% interest on THAT money.

It goes both ways.

I only wish I..... errrrr.. this guy only wishes he would have taken the CD for more time, and more $$$$$$$

MrHappy
05-21-2012, 08:14 PM
A taxi was $24 from Santiago and now its $80. A taxi for all night was about $40 back in 2005 or 2006. Chicken dinners in a restaurant were $5.

Don't get me started on prices of stuff.

That really was the beginning of the end (of living with next to nothing)

Jimmydr
05-21-2012, 08:14 PM
I know somebody (ahem) who bought Govt. CD's at 50% yearly interest, when the exchange was was over 50 to 1.

Then Lionel came into power, the peso dropped to 30, (almost doubling that persons money) then that person got 50% interest on THAT money.

It goes both ways.

I only wish I..... errrrr.. this guy only wishes he would have taken the CD for more time, and more $$$$$$$

How about all the guys that lost their money in those banks.

MrHappy
05-21-2012, 08:17 PM

Not everybody lost all of their money. That's one of the things that sunk Hippo, he had the govt. cover most of the money that was lost.

But yes, there were some small fries that lost....

MrHappy
05-21-2012, 08:19 PM

There weren't that many. When the bank crashed, Hippo had the Central Bank cover the lost money. That's what fucked up the economy so bad.

Jimmydr
05-21-2012, 08:27 PM
There weren't that many. When the bank crashed, Hippo had the Central Bank cover the lost money. That's what fucked up the economy so bad.

Really? I heard only a few guys got their money back.

uncle ruckus
05-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Really? I heard only a few guys got their money back.

Every depositor was guaranteed 100% of the money they had in Baninter. Basically, the government agreed to repay the account holders the money that Baez Figueroa had stolen. That obligation is what caused the crazy inflation of 2003. However, unlike in the US, the bankers responsible for destroying the DR economy in 2003 are in jail. Here in the US, the American bankers who did the same thing are playing golf in their country club.

Mr. Smooth
05-22-2012, 04:29 AM
it wouldnt surprise me either as all governements the world over are run by politicians and not business people.

politicians will up the costs for tourists and when the numbers decrease they will raise the costs again:rolleyes:

it may be time for the people to oust their governments and instal buisness owners who know HOW to run a business:eek: but that would be too much forward thinking :rolleyes:

Then as a reputable and successful business owner, I think you should go to Ottawa for the benefit of the Canadian people and see if you can make some heads roll. Might have to cut out your Thailand trips though.

Ain't there some hot looking whores in Ottawa? :corky: