PDA

View Full Version : Credit cards and miles

El Drunko
07-13-2005, 06:14 AM
I just saw this post this morning on http://www.smartertravel.com/ff/FlyerTalk/

I just had to post it here. Hey its a free trip to the DR. I plan on signing up as soon as I get home from work tonight. Ya have to love free miles.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American Airlines credit card offer improved and extended

The excellent American Airlines credit card offer has been extended to the end of the year, and has been improved. All cards, including the business card, are now free for a year. Both types of cards are available with a free 15,000 mile bonus up front. People have been successful in getting both cards (for a total of 30,000 miles), and have been successful in cancelling their current card and waiting a few months (like until mid December) to get the bonus again. You can find a description of the offers and links to them on the Annual Fee cards page of my website below.)

Jimmydr
07-13-2005, 08:03 AM
I have that card. I had them for years now.

gdogg
07-13-2005, 09:00 AM
That's where my 28,000+ miles are!
8)

BrooklynBeas
07-13-2005, 09:04 AM
thats fucked up the site is blocked from my work computer... reason- Chat!

El Drunko
07-13-2005, 06:44 PM
you guys should read the thread....Its all about getting a second card and canceling your first. Also setting up a buisness credit card...

I have gotton tens of thousands of free miles from this site. I could take an honest guess and say maybe 50,000 free miles from this site...Thats on the low side. When I say free, I mean free....

OK, I'm not gonna get on my frequent Flier horse and preach.....I have given out all the info already on where to find all the info before.

SHUT THE FUCK UP DRUNKO

Jimmydr
07-13-2005, 06:45 PM
you guys should read the thread....Its all about getting a second card and canceling your first. Also setting up a buisness credit card...

I have gotton tens of thousands of free miles from this site. I could take an honest guess and say maybe 50,000 free miles from this site...Thats on the low side. When I say free, I mean free....

OK, I'm not gonna get on my frequent Flier horse and preach.....I have given out all the info already on where to find all the info before.

SHUT THE FUCK UP DRUNKO

Key is to cancel and rotate, thats what I have been doing for years.

El Drunko
07-13-2005, 06:47 PM
sorry , thats not the key to free miles, thats what everyone thinks...

Jimmydr
07-13-2005, 06:51 PM
sorry , thats not the key to free miles, thats what everyone thinks...

You get 15,000 to enroll, cancell and get another card and pick up 10,000 more. Do it over and over. I have over 350,000 miles now.

moshy2k
07-13-2005, 07:10 PM
HEy Drunko,

How about getting back on your soap box and preeching on how to get massive amounts of frequent flyer miles. I am all ears my man.

Dick Dawson
07-13-2005, 07:23 PM

Wouldn't that look bad on your credit report with all that opening and cancelling accounts so frequently?

Jimmydr
07-13-2005, 07:28 PM

Wouldn't that look bad on your credit report with all that opening and cancelling accounts so frequently?

They keep sending them to me.

gdogg
07-13-2005, 08:06 PM
I read that it does look bad on your credit report. Jimmy, has it effected your report? Have you even read your credit report?
:lol:

moshy2k
07-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Good question Dawson.

Jimmydr
07-13-2005, 08:15 PM
I read that it does look bad on your credit report. Jimmy, has it effected your report? Have you even read your credit report?
:lol:

I saw my report, it looks very good. I keep getting more credit card offers.

gdogg
07-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Are you paying of the cards, then cancelling? Or are you transferring balances? I think that's what dings your credit score.

Jimmydr
07-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Are you paying of the cards, then cancelling? Or are you transferring balances? I think that's what dings your credit score.

I payoff in Full!

gdogg
07-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Ok...then you're good. The article I read the other day was referring to people transferring balances over and over. That will knock down your credit score.

El Drunko
07-13-2005, 10:01 PM
HEy Drunko,

How about getting back on your soap box and preeching on how to get massive amounts of frequent flyer miles. I am all ears my man.

Granted, doing what jimmy is saying is a great way to get miles. I personally wouldn`t do that more than once a year. . I have a AA citibank card now. This card I have held for over 15 months. So now that I see its free for a year, I'll sign up to get both cards. Thats a quick and easy 30,000. Free trip.

To me, thats only 30,000 a year. Not bad, but not great. I pull a minimum of 5000 miles a month doing other things. Now when I say 5000, I do that without even trying. Thats just simple purchases, normal everyday things.

Go to a store...no way in hell. Now I hate shopping, so for me this happens to be a pain in the ass. I'm no bargain shopper. I see it, I need it, I buy it. So I go to the AA website, http://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/?src=ffp05q1
everything you need it there and they have specials from time to time from different venders. I get my 2,3,4,6 miles per $$$ spent + the one mile from my AA citicard.

You guys missed the best deal in the world. The deals ended last month. Most resteraunts were 5-10 miles per $$$ spent but there were some for 20 miles per/$. Now the program is broken up into catagories based on how often you use it. Its still a great deal if you go out to eat alot.
http://aa.rewardsnetwork.com/
you'll have to read this for yourself, I can`t sit here and explain it better than the site can.
I go out to breakfest everyday with 3 other guys. I make sure at least 3 of those days we go to a place thats on the list. They pay me for what they have and I put the bill on my card.....WOO HOO Thousands of miles at 20/$$....

Long distance phone service......I never use it. I have a cell phone...But that doesn`t mean I can`t sign up for a long distance carrier that wants to plant some miles in my account. I say, Hey , Thanks for the free miles
I change carriers every 6 months, based on what program wants to give me the most miles for the shortest sign up. Its time to change again , this time I think I need to place a few in my continental account because AT&T stopped the program with AA back in January.

Last year was the eggo waffle deal. On every specially marked box of waffles and some cereals, there was a certificate for 100 miles. I had all my friends and relitives giving them to me. Its funny how many boxes they buy when they know you want the certificates. I did well with that one.

Do some reading. You'll be amazed whats out there for every airline. Example....Alaskan airways runs deal ALOT..I know who flies with them? But open an account. That airline seems to love to give miles away. Run up 30,000 miles the free way, then call em and book a trip on a partner airline from NYC-POP. Bingo a free trip without even trying. This one takes alot of time, but hey, I'm sitting in from of the computer anyway. It doesn`t hurt to open http://www.freefrequentflyermiles.com/index.htm and see what the deals are.

Just a few examples....Do some reading and you'll pick it up fast.

Now here is the one I like best, but ya have to love to fly. Lets do some math....

BOS-SJU-POP $640 < 4348 miles RT>
BOS-LAX-JFK-STI $740 <13122 miles RT> yes I have done this

fly 50,000 miles in one year with AA they make you a Platnium Frequent Flier. That means you get double miles on every flight plus upgrades to First. Now if I do a bos-lax-jfk-sti I get 26,244 miles. Its a free trip to the dr just because you had too much time on your hands and an extra $100.
Now I know this isn`t practical for those in NYC. But I'm not in NYC.

OK, you guys get the point on whats available out there. I gave ya the links AGAIN... Have at it.

moshy2k
07-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks again drunko the info is now bookmarked.

Jimmydr
07-14-2005, 08:21 AM
I charge everything and I mean everything. I left my house with $30 on Monday morning and I have about $29.00 left. I bought two bags of chips for cash. Lunch daily gets charged, thats $40 a week.

El Drunko
07-14-2005, 10:35 PM
ok so thats $40 a week times 3 miles per $$$ is 120 a week , thats a start, add in the extra 1 mile for the card, you are up to 160 miles a week...PLUS what ever else ya buy.....

Jimmydr
07-15-2005, 08:46 AM
ok so thats $40 a week times 3 miles per $$$ is 120 a week , thats a start, add in the extra 1 mile for the card, you are up to 160 miles a week...PLUS what ever else ya buy.....

Its 1 mile per dollar?

$40 a week for lunch = 2,000 miles
$25 per week gas = 1,250 miles
Breakfast on Sunday, I charge it, $35 for 3 for 40 weeks = 1,400 miles
Business trips run about 1,500 miles a year

Thats about 6,000 miles for the year and I left out lots of things.

El Drunko
07-16-2005, 02:40 AM
The 20/$$ has expired. Now its 3/$$$ at participating resturants instead of the 10 or 20.

gas was never on the list for more that 1/$$$ its not a resturant, so you only get the 1/$$$ that the credit card gives ya.

rewards network also works for hotels.