PDA

View Full Version : US Embassy Travelers warning

MrHappy
06-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Be safe out there, guys.

The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo informs U.S. citizens visiting the Dominican Republic there has been an increase in armed robbery against U.S. citizens arriving at Las Americas International Airport near Santo Domingo during the evening hours. Criminals impersonating police are stopping travelers along various highways after they depart the airport. Some of these incidents have been violent as the assailants used gunfire to pull over vehicles which failed to respond to the flashing lights. The gunmen forced the occupants out of their vehicles and robbed them of valuables. In some incidents, travelers staying in private residences instead of hotels are followed to where they will be staying and attacked and robbed as they try to enter the premises.

While no U.S. citizens have been killed during these robberies, the U.S. Embassy has received reports of several injuries. These incidents have occurred at night and in either private vehicles or public taxis. It is currently unknown how the victims are targeted and whether they are identified within the terminal. U.S. citizens arriving at the Las Americas International Airport should take necessary precautions, or consider scheduling arrival times during the daylight hours.

The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy is located at the corner of Calle César Nicolás Penson and Avenida Máximo Gómez. The American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit can be reached by telephone at 809-731-4294 (tel:809-731-4294), or via email at sdoamericans@state.gov. ACS Unit office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, Friday 7:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., except on U.S. and Dominican holidays. The Chancery of the U.S. Embassy is located a quater-mile away from the Consular Section, at the corner of Calle César Nicolás Penson and Calle Leopoldo Navarro. The telephone number is 809-221-2171 (tel:809-221-2171).

hugrad95a
06-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Be safe out there, guys.

The U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo informs U.S. citizens visiting the Dominican Republic there has been an increase in armed robbery against U.S. citizens arriving at Las Americas International Airport near Santo Domingo during the evening hours. Criminals impersonating police are stopping travelers along various highways after they depart the airport. Some of these incidents have been violent as the assailants used gunfire to pull over vehicles which failed to respond to the flashing lights. The gunmen forced the occupants out of their vehicles and robbed them of valuables. In some incidents, travelers staying in private residences instead of hotels are followed to where they will be staying and attacked and robbed as they try to enter the premises.

While no U.S. citizens have been killed during these robberies, the U.S. Embassy has received reports of several injuries. These incidents have occurred at night and in either private vehicles or public taxis. It is currently unknown how the victims are targeted and whether they are identified within the terminal. U.S. citizens arriving at the Las Americas International Airport should take necessary precautions, or consider scheduling arrival times during the daylight hours.

The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy is located at the corner of Calle César Nicolás Penson and Avenida Máximo Gómez. The American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit can be reached by telephone at 809-731-4294 (tel:809-731-4294), or via email at sdoamericans@state.gov. ACS Unit office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, Friday 7:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., except on U.S. and Dominican holidays. The Chancery of the U.S. Embassy is located a quater-mile away from the Consular Section, at the corner of Calle César Nicolás Penson and Calle Leopoldo Navarro. The telephone number is 809-221-2171 (tel:809-221-2171).

Makes sense 3 am flights are dangerous.

XXX
06-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Be safe out there, guys.

Thanks Happy,,,,,,
Unfortunately for me , This Friday night(Saturday morning), my plane lands at 2:00AM at Las Americas, and then i have a two hour taxi ride to Las Terrenas.
Wish me luck !!!:(

GREEKFREAK
06-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Do members have their money stashed away when they come out of the airport? Would it be a good idea to do so??

XXX
06-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Now i am wondering if i should wait at the airport until daylight, or stay at a hotel near the airport, and then leave in the morning.

I wonder if there is anywhere close by that would let me check in at 2:45 AM,, and then check out at 7:00 AM.

Jimmydr
06-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Now i am wondering if i should wait at the airport until daylight, or stay at a hotel near the airport, and then leave in the morning.

I wonder if there is anywhere close by that would let me check in at 2:45 AM,, and then check out at 7:00 AM.

Try any cabana

SeaWeed
06-05-2012, 10:33 PM
I knew there was a reason why I landed during daylight.......lol
but the main reason I do is so I can see the countryside on the way to the resort/hotel/motel.......mi luv dat part.....
I can't remember the last time mi landed in the dark in a foreign country.......probably back in 1988

MrHappy
06-08-2012, 08:21 AM

The gangs that were terrorizing arriving passengers have been arrested. The police announced the arrest of 22 gang members that were involved in following tourists and robbing them.

You're good to arrive whenever you want, big guy.

BorisDaBulletDodger
06-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Do members have their money stashed away when they come out of the airport? Would it be a good idea to do so??

Actually I carry 2 wallets, One US and one DR when I arrive to the DR. I also have a secret compartment in my shorts where I can stash some big bills. If they pickpocket, they will go for the wallet or phone anyway

Driving around the DR I have been pulled over or stopped several times in shake down situations, and I only keep a few pesos in the wallet in case of shakedowns and they say they want all the money. I still have my emergency cash in the back.

Kennilingus
06-08-2012, 09:52 AM
The gangs that were terrorizing arriving passengers have been arrested. The police announced the arrest of 22 gang members that were involved in following tourists and robbing them.

Any of them die resisting arrest, or trying to escape? :rolleyes:

A few years ago I was told by a couple of Dominicans that there had been several Dominicans targeted in the same manner returning to SDQ from NYC ... They said that everyone knows that Dominicans returning from the USA always have money, and or valuable goods ... they'd get rolled enroute to their destinations but off airport property.

I guess someone finally figured out that most gringos will have all of their holiday $$$ on them upon arrival ... Hmmm. :think:

There wouldn't be much point in rolling me on the way to the airport on the way home! :rofl:
:rofl::rofl:

XXX
06-08-2012, 05:05 PM

You're good to arrive whenever you want, big guy.

Thank's Happy,,,,
The more I thought about it, I just decided to crash at a hotel near the airport at 2:30 AM,,,wake up at 7:30 AM,, and the hotel I am staying at in Las Terrenas is sending me a taxi with my chica in it at 8:00AM .
This will make for a better ride,, and like Seaweed said I can enjoy the scenery in the daytime.

Well,,,The Flight leaves in about 4 hours,,,,,and then it is 8 days in Las Terrenas , and 4 days in Boca Chica,,,,,,,,
Damn, there is nothing better than the feeling you get on the day you are going !!!!

Irie
06-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Thank's Happy,,,,
The more I thought about it, I just decided to crash at a hotel near the airport at 2:30 AM,,,wake up at 7:30 AM,, and the hotel I am staying at in Las Terrenas is sending me a taxi with my chica in it at 8:00AM .
This will make for a better ride,, and like Seaweed said I can enjoy the scenery in the daytime.

Well,,,The Flight leaves in about 4 hours,,,,,and then it is 8 days in Las Terrenas , and 4 days in Boca Chica,,,,,,,,
Damn, there is nothing better than the feeling you get on the day you are going !!!!

7:30? Sleeping in late, huh???:rolleyes: Two trips in one year???:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Have a great trip and keep that camera handy!:corky:

XXX
06-08-2012, 06:14 PM
7:30? Sleeping in late, huh???:rolleyes: Two trips in one year???:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Have a great trip and keep that camera handy!:corky:

Yeah,,,, I gotta get up at 7:30 for the free breakfast:lol:,,,,and then my ride will be picking me up at 8:00.

It's a little over two hours to Las Terrenas from SDQ.

I got my regular camera and a waterproof one that I want to use when I go to the El Limon waterfall .

Irie
06-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Yeah,,,, I gotta get up at 7:30 for the free breakfast:lol:,,,,and then my ride will be picking me up at 8:00.

I got my regular camera and a waterproof one that I want to use when I go to the El Limon waterfall .

Water proof camera, hm? A good boy scout is always prepared for the occasional muff dive squirt.

You are planning well bro!:smile:

XXX
06-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Water proof camera, hm? A good boy scout is always prepared for the occasional muff dive squirt.

You are planning well bro!:smile:

Unfortunately ,,, I will not be seein the squirter on this trip,,,,,,
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40252&d=1328656402

I arrive at the airport,,,,,to find out there is a hour and fifteen minute flight delay,,,,

The bars in the terminal are closing,,, but my friend works there and proceeds to put three drinks in front of me. I tell him that because of my heart problems my doctor has told me no more than three drinks in one day... My friend looks at the table and says " Well there is your recommended daily allowance"
What to do,,,,,,,,of course check out ISOC !!!

TonyT
06-08-2012, 09:48 PM

I love that town, enjoy!