PDA

View Full Version : 06/2012 - Global entry

Pages : [1] 2

gulfmariner
06-12-2012, 06:32 PM
As i travel quite abit to and from work and out of the country i decided to give global entry a try. Now bear on mind I am live in Miami and some airports have not started the program yet. In my opinion it was well worth it, on domestic flights no more shoes and belts off ,quicker lines , way faster thru TSA check points. On international flights customs was a breeze . Went to the kiosk scan my passport ,quick print scan and i was headed to lugguge area , no lines. After luggage separate line gave card kiosk printed and was on my way to a cab. Only pain was after online questionaire , had to appear for interview that was just photo taken for ID card. For those of you that travel alot might be worth looking into......

SeaWeed
06-12-2012, 11:30 PM
As i travel quite abit to and from work and out of the country i decided to give global entry a try. Now bear on mind I am live in Miami and some airports have not started the program yet. In my opinion it was well worth it, on domestic flights no more shoes and belts off ,quicker lines , way faster thru TSA check points. On international flights customs was a breeze . Went to the kiosk scan my passport ,quick print scan and i was headed to lugguge area , no lines. After luggage separate line gave card kiosk printed and was on my way to a cab. Only pain was after online questionaire , had to appear for interview that was just photo taken for ID card. For those of you that travel alot might be worth looking into......
looked into it but with the costs etc you need to travel quite a bit to make it worth your while........
I would say for anyone that flies more than 3-4 times a year it would be well worth it.........

y2k
06-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Global entry is worth the $100. You save over 45 minutes to an hour waiting on line

GrandePadre
09-11-2012, 11:20 PM
I just signed up for this tonight. I travel internationally about twice a year, but the real value is the TSA precheck, I travel a ton for work and if this can save time and hassle, I am with it. No more BS for me! $100 well spent I say.

dr1lvr
09-11-2012, 11:52 PM

How long after you submitted your application did they contact you for interview?

I turned my app in 4 days ago..

gulfmariner
09-12-2012, 12:33 AM
How long after you submitted your application did they contact you for interview?

I turned my app in 4 days ago..

if i remember correctly , after i applied and paid it was within a couple weeks to set up pic and interview at airport .

dquick
09-12-2012, 05:10 AM

What concerns me about global entry is the background check. I am a US citizen, who has travelled to Cuba from Canada. I may go to Cuba again, from a third country.

GrandePadre
09-12-2012, 11:18 AM
What concerns me about global entry is the background check. I am a US citizen, who has travelled to Cuba from Canada. I may go to Cuba again, from a third country.

yeah you might want to leave that one alone, could raise some flags, although if I recall, Cuba does not mark your passport and DHS, "should" not have a record of your travel, but then again you never know what kinds of intelligence sharing agreements are in place with Canada. I wouldn't tempt fate on that one.

Orange
09-12-2012, 05:00 PM
I have had GE for a few months now. How do you use GE as a TSA-preclearance? Is there a separate line to enter security? I don't think I've seen it at JFK. I thought it was only for CBP when coming back into the US from abroad.

whynotme
09-12-2012, 05:13 PM
I have had GE for a few months now. How do you use GE as a TSA-preclearance? Is there a separate line to enter security? I don't think I've seen it at JFK. I thought it was only for CBP when coming back into the US from abroad.

if you have global entry you already have pre clearance ( or they wouldn't have given you the ge card)

the custom and border patrol points of entry with global entry scanners (that have it) are usually off to the side of where the immigration lines start........just scan and go........wish i had it as i almost missed my washington to toronto flight last night when coming home from bkk:mad:.

gulfmariner
09-12-2012, 06:54 PM

go on the global entry website and you will find tsa checkpoints that are open for pre-clearance trusted travelers , also american airlines .com has a page when you log in with your frequent flyer # and password to list your trusted traveler # , i also think other airlines offer this. It will show up on your boarding pass on domestic flights and breeze you through TSA crap , different line , no shoes off , no laptops out of your bags etc .

TC
09-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Global entry

Me and my sick mind thought this thread was going to be about something else entirely.

sporthobbyist
09-14-2012, 12:24 AM
If you are Platinum on United they pay for it.

Interview was a little funny. Thank god they were young guys.

GE-"SO?? You been to:
DR
Colombia
Thailand
Phillipines
Costa Rica
Brazil???

"These are all flagged countries!"

ME-"oh really?? Flagged for what?

GE-"dont worry, you dont fit the profile":corky:

The funny thing was the old fat dude getting interviewed next to me was asked:

GE-"So, you been to Thailand quite a few times?? Business or pleasure?
Fat Old Man-"I go for business!":rofl:

I can say it is worthless unless you have only carry on luggage
I always blow past everyone, but as I wait at the carousel, everyone I past shows up and we all leave at the same time.

when i went to Madrid I only had carryon and I walked past a hellish immigration line, did the kiosk and off I went.

But I personally think that they are less likely to search you when you have GE. It claims that is not the case, but the interviewer hinted to that.

TSA preclearance is not available with United at EWR yet. But I am on the list

GrandePadre
10-15-2012, 01:16 AM
Well it took me about 10 days from the time I turned in my application and paid to get my conditional approval letter. They offered me an appointment in December in at one location or Nov 6 at another. But from what I have heard you can get in faster but you have to just check every day for cancellations. Which is what I hope to do so I can have it for this trip. I will be cutting it close.

sporthobbyist
10-15-2012, 04:12 AM
Well it took me about 10 days from the time I turned in my application and paid to get my conditional approval letter. They offered me an appointment in December in at one location or Nov 6 at another. But from what I have heard you can get in faster but you have to just check every day for cancellations. Which is what I hope to do so I can have it for this trip. I will be cutting it close.

I though the same thing, just log back onto Global site, you can move dates and get a MUCH earlier date, like this coming week most llkely. I was about to take a two month date too, until guys on FT told me to look again.

by the way EWR DOES have TSA precheck now. Terminal C(United)

BUT, it only clears for domestic flights!!??WTF!!?? and not domestic legs, entire intiniary has to be domestic.

GrandePadre
10-25-2012, 11:43 AM
I had my appointment yesterday and my experience is probably going to be different that most. It sucked because I had to wait 2 hours AFTER my scheduled appointment time to be seen. But this is due to me going to a border checkpoint that also handles SENTRI stuff. I think if I would have gone to the airport it would have been much faster. However once I was seen it was fast, the guy asked me why I go to Mexico, I said I don't go often. Then he asked why I needed GE, I said I travel a lot. He asked what I do, I told him. He asked for my work ID, I gave it to him. He said you are approved and have a nice day. However other folks got grilled. Most of the questions were:

What countries have you been to in the last 5 years?
Why were you there?
Do you use drugs?
There were a few others but I forgot.

That is pretty much it, no stress or fuss. So with GE, I can now use TSA precheck, GE coming back into the US and SENTRI coming back from mexico! $100 well spent.

Dave Diaz
10-25-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm going to get this once I hit 75,000 status on uniteds program. I believe they waive the fee for application in the top 2 tiers. It still sounds worth the 100 though, I'm starting to hate taking off my shoes, the laptop out of the bag and all that. If those steps can be skipped it seems like a good deal. Haven't looked into it yet but will definitely do that after reading this thread and a couple comments made in some others.

Great start up topic capt bartman

sporthobbyist
10-25-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm going to get this once I hit 75,000 status on uniteds program. I believe they waive the fee for application in the top 2 tiers. It still sounds worth the 100 though, I'm starting to hate taking off my shoes, the laptop out of the bag and all that. If those steps can be skipped it seems like a good deal. Haven't looked into it yet but will definitely do that after reading this thread and a couple comments made in some others.

Great start up topic capt bartman

as far as shoes and laptops?? That is the TSA Precheck. You do not need to have GE to apply for Precheck. (but I heard it helps)

and it is super selective. It HAS to be a domestic flight only to even make the list.
Then you might get approved, you might not. They want you to just walk into the Pre Check line and scan your ticket. If you get three beeps you are approved and will blow through TSA in less then a minute. If you get one beep, then back into the catlle line again!!!

You can avoid this by printing your BP. Using your Iphone or Android with a barcode scanner. Scan the barcode on the BP and if the last number is a "3" you are approved.

personally besides the possibilitry of NOT getting pulled to be checked, GE is really no big deal.
You breeze through customs, but luggae still takes just as long, so you end up saving little time.
If I had to pay, even if it is only 100 bucks, it is NOT worth it(unless you only ever have carry on)
But since United paid, i will take it

GrandePadre
10-25-2012, 10:21 PM
as far as shoes and laptops?? That is the TSA Precheck. You do not need to have GE to apply for Precheck. (but I heard it helps)

and it is super selective. It HAS to be a domestic flight only to even make the list.
Then you might get approved, you might not. They want you to just walk into the Pre Check line and scan your ticket. If you get three beeps you are approved and will blow through TSA in less then a minute. If you get one beep, then back into the catlle line again!!!

You can avoid this by printing your BP. Using your Iphone or Android with a barcode scanner. Scan the barcode on the BP and if the last number is a "3" you are approved.

personally besides the possibilitry of NOT getting pulled to be checked, GE is really no big deal.
You breeze through customs, but luggae still takes just as long, so you end up saving little time.
If I had to pay, even if it is only 100 bucks, it is NOT worth it(unless you only ever have carry on)
But since United paid, i will take it

I live in San Diego so when I do go to TJ I can avoid those long ass 30 min to 2 hour waits to come back to the US cause I can use the SENTRI lines :) No one is ever in the SENTRI lines at 4am :)

sporthobbyist
10-26-2012, 04:33 AM
I live in San Diego so when I do go to TJ I can avoid those long ass 30 min to 2 hour waits to come back to the US cause I can use the SENTRI lines :) No one is ever in the SENTRI lines at 4am :)

Yes, but you have to have your GE card with you.

Normal airport customs GE kiosk just scan your passport. But traveling with car back from Mexico, you need your GE card

GrandePadre
10-26-2012, 04:38 AM
Yes, but you have to have your GE card with you.

Normal airport customs GE kiosk just scan your passport. But traveling with car back from Mexico, you need your GE card

That's fine, I am not going to Mexico until AFTER I get back from DR. I will have my card by them. I spend way to much money in TJ. LOL Its easily a $200 night with my buddies.

hugrad95a
03-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Just got a approved actually the process was easy as hell...took about 20 minutes, watched a quick video answered a few questions then that's it. No crazy questions either...

Chief Papi Lindo
03-01-2013, 09:12 PM
That's fine, I am not going to Mexico until AFTER I get back from DR. I will have my card by them. I spend way to much money in TJ. LOL Its easily a $200 night with my buddies.

i want to go to tj, but where do you find the fine babes? i imagine tj is full of 6's and below for some reason.

SeaWeed
03-02-2013, 11:30 AM
kinda wish mi had it last night........might have been the difference between making mi connecting flight or not....
in Ft Lauderdale last night wi had a long ass wait to get thru immigrations.......
worst line mi have ever been in to get thru any immigrations.......
though mi will give credit where it is do......they did process a ton of people in short time..........
one of the Immigration guys was handing out the Global Entry folder.........
and giving his sales pitch on this being the wave of the future......
though he said if you only travel once a year it is probably not worth it.......
but for people that travel quite a bit he said it was well worth it........mi concur
so after doing the OJ sprint to get to mi connecting flight........mi showed up at the gate.....
and guess what.......that beautiful airline Spirit delayed their flight 3 hours........WTF
evidently some Spirit idiot decided to send our Tampa plane down to Santo Domingo....
to pick up a load of travelers instead of us leaving on time for Tampa....
it was bad enuff having mi first leg being an hour late.........but being 3 hours late on the last leg is unforgiveable
did 12 legs of travel to Jamaica in the last year and this was the first time mi had to put up with this horseshit :icontd:

hioctane
03-03-2013, 12:21 PM
If you are Platinum on United they pay for it.

Interview was a little funny. Thank god they were young guys.

GE-"SO?? You been to:
DR
Colombia
Thailand
Phillipines
Costa Rica
Brazil???

"These are all flagged countries!"

ME-"oh really?? Flagged for what?

GE-"dont worry, you dont fit the profile":corky:

The funny thing was the old fat dude getting interviewed next to me was asked:

GE-"So, you been to Thailand quite a few times?? Business or pleasure?
Fat Old Man-"I go for business!":rofl:

I can say it is worthless unless you have only carry on luggage
I always blow past everyone, but as I wait at the carousel, everyone I past shows up and we all leave at the same time.

when i went to Madrid I only had carryon and I walked past a hellish immigration line, did the kiosk and off I went.

But I personally think that they are less likely to search you when you have GE. It claims that is not the case, but the interviewer hinted to that.

TSA preclearance is not available with United at EWR yet. But I am on the list

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't GE only for entry INTO the US?

It definately is not the case that it is less likely that they search you. I took Amtrak to Canada once. I figured I would whip out my GE card to save some interview time.. The agent tells me to go to the back and grills me! Why do I need the card? Why do you travel to Colombia so much.. blah blah.. After they let me go, I ask about use of GE... That I thought I could speed through.. They said.. all it does is let you cut the line.. You STILL have to do an interview!

hioctane
03-03-2013, 12:25 PM
$100 GE is well worth it.. even if you only travel international once a year!! It lasts for 5 years. If you go through major hubs like MIA or JFK, you know that customs line can be 1.5-2 hours if you are unlucky.

wrgold
03-03-2013, 05:21 PM
$100 GE is well worth it.. even if you only travel international once a year!! It lasts for 5 years. If you go through major hubs like MIA or JFK, you know that customs line can be 1.5-2 hours if you are unlucky.

GE lasts for 5 years? I thought for 100$ it was only good for a year... if its for 5 years, that is well worth it

SeaWeed
03-03-2013, 07:09 PM
GE lasts for 5 years? I thought for 100$ it was only good for a year... if its for 5 years, that is well worth it
the guy at immigrations in Ft Lauderdale should have made a point of the costs and duration.....he said nuthin about that

TNT72
03-03-2013, 07:12 PM
the guy at immigrations in Ft Lauderdale should have made a point of the costs and duration.....he said nuthin about that

I'm sure if that had happened in Jamaica, they would have been sure to say that!!:rolleyes:

sporthobbyist
03-03-2013, 07:59 PM
It most certainly does make a difference in getting pulled in Customs.

I have spoke to many guys on FT that have GE and they said the same thing
It may not be written, but see how they look at it. You went through the trouble of getting clearance, you are obviously low risk
A few trips back, an old couple was pulled in Customs line right before me for secondary inspection. I showed them my GE receipyt and away i went.

Plus it gives you a better chance of getting TSA pre check.

But I will mention it again. It saves NO TIME if you have luggage. Which I do 99% of the time.

Yeah, you blow past all the cattle lines in Immigration. You are first to be at luggage. But it still takes them the same amount of time.
and regardless if your bags are marked priority, they still may not be the first to come out.

if I had to pay for it, I would not think it was worth it. Unless they start TSA precheck for International flights
But United paid for mine, so no issues.

and yes, JFK immigration is brutal. The one time my GE was a godsend was coming back from Madrid. The line was stupid. I walked down the side and was being cursed out for cutting, went right to the GE and off i went.
Granted, I had carryon only.

justin082176
03-03-2013, 08:05 PM

Hello,

I purchased my card almost 8 months ago and is definitely worth every dime. Dealing with customs is awesome because you don't have to fill out forms just go to a kiosk and that is it ...:biggrin:

sporthobbyist
03-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Hello,

I purchased my card almost 8 months ago and is definitely worth every dime. Dealing with customs is awesome because you don't have to fill out forms just go to a kiosk and that is it ...:biggrin:

except in HNL!!!!
You have no option
. They have machines but you cannot use them. Fill out card and full TSA inspection again.
But I qualified for TSA precheck there and was through in a minute

Also GE is bullshit in GUM.
There are 4 machines and I do the thing and then we are stuck at a locked door!!! For like 10-15 minutes
Meanwhile everyone who does a regular immigration process joins you as you hit a TSA check that has the most fucked up lines.:icontd:

kitie carson
03-04-2013, 06:19 AM
Any body have GE that has had a DWI? I have read they disqualify you for that..I had a DWI ,20+ years ago....so i have been hesitant to even apply.

hioctane
05-01-2013, 02:19 AM
I just wanted to share my recent experience coming back from Colombia. I use the GE kiosk and an agent pulls me over and asks me to go to the screening area.. He goes through my bags and the whole time grills me what I was doing in Colombia. Why I go so many times. If I have a girlfriend there. Why I didn't go see her if I was in Colombia (She is in MDE and I went to CTG). Does she know I am going to CTG. I was kind of getting irritated. What is it any of your business if she knows or not. Anyways, after finish going through my bags, he lets me go.

So I just wanted to reiterate that GE pass DOES NOT prevent you from getting your bag searched or questioned!

camaro1257
05-01-2013, 06:44 PM
kinda wish mi had it last night........might have been the difference between making mi connecting flight or not....
in Ft Lauderdale last night wi had a long ass wait to get thru immigrations.......
worst line mi have ever been in to get thru any immigrations.......
though mi will give credit where it is do......they did process a ton of people in short time..........
one of the Immigration guys was handing out the Global Entry folder.........
and giving his sales pitch on this being the wave of the future......
though he said if you only travel once a year it is probably not worth it.......
but for people that travel quite a bit he said it was well worth it........mi concur
so after doing the OJ sprint to get to mi connecting flight........mi showed up at the gate.....
and guess what.......that beautiful airline Spirit delayed their flight 3 hours........WTF
evidently some Spirit idiot decided to send our Tampa plane down to Santo Domingo....
to pick up a load of travelers instead of us leaving on time for Tampa....
it was bad enuff having mi first leg being an hour late.........but being 3 hours late on the last leg is unforgiveable
did 12 legs of travel to Jamaica in the last year and this was the first time mi had to put up with this horseshit :icontd:

SPIRIT SUCKS!...yo los desto!

Majicman
05-01-2013, 06:53 PM
I had been thinking about doing this for awhile too. Even got so far as filling out the app but not pulling the trigger because i was still weighing the value. This morning i remembered how long it took me to go through immigration the last time while seeing the GE kiosks looking like an overpriced chica at 6am.....alone and begging for action. Pulled the trigger today and will see what happens.

BorisDaBulletDodger
05-02-2013, 01:39 AM
I had been thinking about doing this for awhile too. Even got so far as filling out the app but not pulling the trigger because i was still weighing the value. This morning i remembered how long it took me to go through immigration the last time while seeing the GE kiosks looking like an overpriced chica at 6am.....alone and begging for action. Pulled the trigger today and will see what happens.

I also didn't see any value until the last few trips. Since I primarily fly out of FLL, the line at immigration was never really that long, maybe a 20-30 minute line tops, however, the last few trips the line has been in the second room, and maybe an hour perhaps even longer, $100 for 5 years doesn't seem that bad of an expense assuming I take 4 trips a year, thats only $5 a trip.

wrgold
05-02-2013, 09:35 AM
It took me two hours plus to get thru customs in FLL when I returned from Medellin. I think its a no brainer, I am getting it

BorisDaBulletDodger
05-02-2013, 09:47 AM
It took me two hours plus to get thru customs in FLL when I returned from Medellin. I think its a no brainer, I am getting it

Not sure if it was delays or just the norm, but that second room which in all my trips I have never seen used but was full of people on line for immigration. I usually pay for a seat in the front on Spirit, just to beat the people on the plane to immigration, but when I got off, there was already 400-500 people in front of me:rofl::rofl::rofl:

The line was constantly moving, but last trip defineltey changed my mind

Kevy
05-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Immigration lines are getting crazy in the USA. we waited over an hour in Toronto to get through they herded us to a waiting area before we could get in line.

Returning last trip I spent over half an hour in San francisco airport and that looks like it was quick now.

I am looking at getting the nexus card now

BorisDaBulletDodger
05-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Immigration lines are getting crazy in the USA. we waited over an hour in Toronto to get through they herded us to a waiting area before we could get in line.

Returning last trip I spent over half an hour in San francisco airport and that looks like it was quick now.

I am looking at getting the nexus card now

I was curious at FLL, because there was employees always looking for people with connecting flights, and they were ushered to another express part of the line.

I wonder what the penalty was for getting caught lying, I figured the worst was just suspicion and they would probably strip search or go through all your stuff but was wondering if there was actually some kind of serious charges:rolleyes::rolleyes::rofl::rofl:

Didn't have the cojones to do it last trip:p

Kevy
05-02-2013, 10:04 AM
I was curious at FLL, because there was employees always looking for people with connecting flights, and they were ushered to another express part of the line.

I wonder what the penalty was for getting caught lying, I figured the worst was just suspicion and they would probably strip search or go through all your stuff but was wondering if there was actually something serious charges:rolleyes::rolleyes::rofl::rofl:

wouldn't they ask to look at your boarding card for the connection, normally they do that

BorisDaBulletDodger
05-02-2013, 10:07 AM
wouldn't they ask to look at your boarding card for the connection, normally they do that

IDK I was all the way in the back, but the lady calling people were just shouting Washington DC for example, and those people were moved to the front, when I was closer to the officers, I just saw them standing on a shorter line, no other employees checking anything.

Hunter
05-02-2013, 10:08 AM

This must be the effects of the sequester?? Fucking congress...they suck....

wrgold
05-02-2013, 10:25 AM
IDK I was all the way in the back, but the lady calling people were just shouting Washington DC for example, and those people were moved to the front, when I was closer to the officers, I just saw them standing on a shorter line, no other employees checking anything.

That crossed my mind to lol....especially when I see Jimmy pass me by with his connection Laguardia

j_d66
05-05-2013, 02:59 PM
if i remember correctly , after i applied and paid it was within a couple weeks to set up pic and interview at airport .

Do you have much flexibility in choosing the interview date and time?
For example if I flew to MIA on a certain date are there enough interview people that I could reasonably expect to be able to schedule an interview in between connections which is normally a couple of hours?

Also if approved at the interview can you start using it immediately?

hioctane
05-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Do you have much flexibility in choosing the interview date and time?
For example if I flew to MIA on a certain date are there enough interview people that I could reasonably expect to be able to schedule an interview in between connections which is normally a couple of hours?

Also if approved at the interview can you start using it immediately?

it depends on the size of the airport, but if you try for months in advance you should be able to get an interview with no problem. I would say anything less than a month is difficult.

j_d66
05-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Ok Thanks

So based on the Global entry website it looks like

Approved Global Entry program applicants have 30 days from the date of their online approval notice to schedule an appointment with their nearest enrollment center. The actual appointment must be within 90 days of the date of the online approval notice

Good information to know
I was looking to see if I could make an interview work in Miami in between connections.

sporthobbyist
05-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Ok Thanks

So based on the Global entry website it looks like

Approved GlobalEntry program applicants have 30 days from the date of their online approval notice to schedule an appointment with their nearest enrollment center. The actual appointment must be within 90 days of the date of the online approval notice

Good information to know
I was looking to see if I could make an interview work in Miami in between connections.

You really have to look at the site. My scheduled date was FAR away.

But I mentioned it on FT and they told me to look carefully at the site and there is a way to pick a better date. I picked one weeks ahead

j_d66
06-16-2013, 03:24 AM
Decided to take the plunge and get approved for the Global Entry program after enduring a huge line in customs in New Jersey last trip and figuring with the budget cuts things were only going to get worse.

Online application not to difficult but pretty thorough.

Approval took 19 days to come through.

Started looking for a place to do the interview. My plan was to do it during a layover in Miami but appointments were three weeks out and I wanted it over with so i could use it on my next trip coming soon.

Detroit wasn't working either since my flights leave at 6am and come back after 11pm.

So decided to take a road trip north to Sault Saint Marie Mi which is in Michigan's Upper Peninsula at the border with Canada.
A long way to drive but they had appointments available with short notice.

Arrived early at the appointment and was all done with the appointment including the picture and fingerprinting in less than 15 minutes all with almost no hassle.

I didn't have my global entry ID card for my trip but did not need it.

Coming back into Miami the customs lines were huge. I would guess minimum of 1 hr wait time, but not for me.

I breezed up to one of the open kiosks, scanned my passport and my fingerprints, answered some questions and had my approval receipt in less than 1 minute. :)

Once in the baggage area they had a special line that directed you through your own security line.

Everything was very low pressure and I was totally through customs and the re-entry through TSA security in less than 5 minutes.

My first impression of Global entry is that it is well worth the $100 spent and should make my travel experience much better in the future.

Kevy
06-16-2013, 08:16 AM
Decided to take the plunge and get approved for the Global Entry program after enduring a huge line in customs in New Jersey last trip and figuring with the budget cuts things were only going to get worse.

Online application not to difficult but pretty thorough.

Approval took 19 days to come through.

Started looking for a place to do the interview. My plan was to do it during a layover in Miami but appointments were three weeks out and I wanted it over with so i could use it on my next trip coming soon.

Detroit wasn't working either since my flights leave at 6am and come back after 11pm.

So decided to take a road trip north to Sault Saint Marie Mi which is in Michigan's Upper Peninsula at the border with Canada.
A long way to drive but they had appointments available with short notice.

Arrived early at the appointment and was all done with the appointment including the picture and fingerprinting in less than 15 minutes all with almost no hassle.

I didn't have my global entry ID card for my trip but did not need it.

Coming back into Miami the customs lines were huge. I would guess minimum of 1 hr wait time, but not for me.

I breezed up to one of the open kiosks, scanned my passport and my fingerprints, answered some questions and had my approval receipt in less than 1 minute. :)

Once in the baggage area they had a special line that directed you through your own security line.

Everything was very low pressure and I was totally through customs and the re-entry through TSA security in less than 5 minutes.

My first impression of Global entry is that it is well worth the $100 spent and should make my travel experience much better in the future.

I am trying to get the Canadian equivalent, the nexus card and I have been waiting 5 weeks for approval.

Gutter Meat
06-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Best $100 ever spent....came into MIA on Friday and custom lines were huge. Breezed right through Global Entry.

justin082176
06-17-2013, 01:27 PM
On 05/24/2013 I used my Passport at the Global Entry kiosk in MIA. My receipt did not have an X, I have never had the X which means you require further screening.. The lines for customs were huge and were not moving . It looked like 4 flights were collecting their bags to get in the customs line . I collected my checked bag, went thru the GE checkpoint. No issues. I gave back my bag,and checked in the Admirals club had a couple drinks and some snacks.. About 1 1/2 hours later I started to see some folks showing up at their gates that I had seen in the line.. Finally after 2 hours + I showed up to my gate and boarded my flight... Bottom line the kiosks are open and rarely have a line.. No forms, no issues.. I have only used this service at the MIA airport... When I move to Florida in the next year, MIA will be my main hub instead of STL. This is a good airport too, as long as you are not there during a tornado that was wild... Best $100.00 spent, it is great to have one less thing to worry about when traveling also it works out if you have a club membership, you are given more time to relax.. You are also in the TSA pre-check, in the STL airport you are in a shorter line no removal of shoes, or scanners..

JD426
06-17-2013, 02:07 PM
This sounds like the way of the future, gonna have to cough up the $100 and do it..
Like online check ins,. once you get used to it, you just cant go BACK to the old way of doing it..
Lines suck ass.. I hate them, no way we should ever be like 2nd class citizens re entering our own country,
when holding a US passport, that shit used to mean something.

wrgold
06-17-2013, 02:47 PM
I applied for mine 5 days ago. After waiting 2 hours through customs on my last trip, I swore never again

Kevy
07-11-2013, 07:57 PM
I am trying to get the Canadian equivalent, the nexus card and I have been waiting 5 weeks for approval.

It took over 2 months, but my application was approved. now I go for the interview, tried set an appointment in toronto and nothing until October:eek:

So I go to Niagara August 27 Yay.

whynotme
07-11-2013, 08:12 PM
It took over 2 months, but my application was approved. now I go for the interview, tried set an appointment in toronto and nothing until October:eek:

So I go to Niagara August 27 Yay.

your only day off in Canada between two mongering trips:rofl: good fuckin luck:wink:

Kevy
07-11-2013, 08:20 PM
your only day off in Canada between two mongering trips:rofl: good fuckin luck:wink:

not quite. it is the day before my flight on Aug 28, but I am back 10 days on this one:rofl::rofl:

Interview is at 5, i should be back before I leave

whynotme
07-11-2013, 09:07 PM
not quite. it is the day before my flight on Aug 28, but I am back 10 days on this one:rofl::rofl:

Interview is at 5, i should be back before I leave

oh ok its the meddy/bkk/patts trip you are only home for 1 day:rofl: you man whore:wink:

maybe we can get the summer c.isoc dinner meeting in when you are bored by being here during those 10 days:rofl::rofl:

(damn I am here too:mad::rofl:)

Kevy
07-11-2013, 09:13 PM
oh ok its the meddy/bkk/patts trip you are only home for 1 day:rofl: you man whore:wink:

maybe we can get the summer c.isoc dinner meeting in when you are bored by being here during those 10 days:rofl::rofl:

(damn I am here too:mad::rofl:)
The one day is after the meddy trip on july 22, I have 10 days after I get back from Pattaya on August 17. the weekend of August 24 is fine with me I might need an oil change for the caddy.

whynotme
07-11-2013, 09:45 PM
The one day is after the meddy trip on july 22, I have 10 days after I get back from Pattaya on August 17. the weekend of August 24 is fine with me I might need an oil change for the caddy.

ok breakfast is on me,,,,,,,,,,,,,not sure if any one else wants to drive to snorewood for breakfast though:corky::rofl:

btw
I finally opened the pool today so bringsome hot chicas:corky:

dr1lvr
07-26-2013, 11:31 AM
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/07/tsa-precheck/

If you’re fed up with long lines, full-body scanners, and the occasional cavity search, the TSA will give you a pass for $85 and a background check.

Up until now, the Transportation Safety Administration only offered its PreCheck expedited screening to frequent fliers of specific airlines, Global Entry members, and a few other pre-screening services. That allows “trusted travelers” at participating airports to skip the line, keep their shoes, belts and jackets on, and leave liquids and laptops in their bags.

Beginning this fall, everyone can get in on the TSA PreCheck bandwagon (http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/tsa-precheck-application-process) by filling out an online application, providing a verified form of I.D., getting fingerprinted at one of the TSA’s satellite centers, and cutting the federal agency a check for $85. After two to three weeks, you’ll get a “Known Traveler Number” that you’ll input whenever you book a flight, and it’s good for five years.

But don’t count on never getting a pat-down. The TSA makes it clear (http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/tsa-precheck-expedited-screening) that it “will always incorporate random and unpredictable security measures” and that anyone that has “certain offenses, such as violations involving fraudulent documents, firearms, explosives, or other prohibited items” shouldn’t count on approval. Noted.

Count
07-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Global Entry is great; all of you should get it. We in Canada have Nexus. A couple of months ago, believe it or not, I was lucky to apply at at time when the US and Canada had a 2 for 1 deal going on. I had interviews from both US and Canadian officers sitting side by side at their respective terminals and the result is I have both Global Entry and Nexus on my card for $110 Canadian. It lasts 5 years.

kitie carson
02-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Finally took the Plunge..Filled out GE Application and submitted it...Knowing i had a few "issues" when i was at the green age of 19,(25+ Years ago) I was hesitant, but after reading up on it, I decided to give it a try..Got my "conditional" approval today( Submitted app 8 days ago), So i went to website and set up my interview.

1st Available spot is Mid-March in Honolulu...No other options here in the islands..... SO , Anyone else have a few"issues" when they were younger and get approved? DWI and Misdemeanors only....no other problems since....

Since they were on my application,I assume they already know what they are, so they still Conditionally approved me. Now I assume they will grill me about it when i interview...Is the excuse young ,wild,and dumb OK?

Kevy
02-10-2014, 11:08 PM
Finally took the Plunge..Filled out GE Application and submitted it...Knowing i had a few "issues" when i was at the green age of 19,(25+ Years ago) I was hesitant, but after reading up on it, I decided to give it a try..Got my "conditional" approval today( Submitted app 8 days ago), So i went to website and set up my interview.

1st Available spot is Mid-March in Honolulu...No other options here in the islands..... SO , Anyone else have a few"issues" when they were younger and get approved? DWI and Misdemeanors only....no other problems since....

Since they were on my application,I assume they already know what they are, so they still Conditionally approved me. Now I assume they will grill me about it when i interview...Is the excuse young ,wild,and dumb OK?

I got it in April, best $50 I ever spent. They ran my finger prints and said I did not have a record, so that was good.

cookemup71
02-10-2014, 11:37 PM
have had a GOES account since 2011.....if you've traveled to the same location repeatedly they will ask why. In my case i've been pulled over on the gang plank getting on the plane leaving the US. Routine questions, how much cash do you have on you,purpose of trip...to there credit,when i went for my interview,everything was documented including how much i had on me.....Unless your convicted felon,answer straight up...they already know,you'll be hurt'in yourself trying to hide something...The best thing about it is when you return to the US....no lines,walk up to kiosk,scan passport,fingerprint,retina scan,fill out customs forms electronicaly,takes less than 2 minutes.....and after you get baggage,cut line and hand them your printed reciept...........You have already been vetted.....it's a close second to E-Z pass...

MrHappy
02-11-2014, 08:09 AM

I'd say you're good to go if you already have the conditional approval.

My interview was nothing more than a quick conversation about where I live and what I do, with a few slightly "off" questions, which I assume was a ploy to see if I would answer correctly. For example: He commented "I see you own a business in the Dominican Republic." I replied "Not exactly, I'm the General Manager" He said, "Oh, right." It lasted all of 3-4 minutes.

I think that by the time you're at the interview, all the investigations have already been done. As the man said, listen carefully and answer honestly.

I also got the "two for one" TSA Pre special combo. A great bargain indeed.

I went through FLL the other day, and the Customs folks were tripping over themselves to get me out the door. When I walked into Immigration, there were probably around 150-175 people in line, and to the side, a roped off walkway to a GE machine in front of an Inspector. I walked past everyone, scanned my passport, got the receipt, took a couple of steps to the inspector, handed him the receipt, and I was out.

From deplaning to climbing on the shuttle outside took maaaybe 5 minutes or so. Excellent!

My only fear is what's going to happen once folks catch on about what a great deal it is. What do you do when there are a hundred GE approved folks at the same time?

eastcoastallstar
02-11-2014, 10:47 AM
I'm about to submit my application too, renewing my passport first. JFK customs is a bitch!

j_d66
02-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Global entry is a great thing and pretty much hassle free.

Although last time I came through Miami they now have 12 kiosks setup in the hall and 8 of them were out of service that day.

But even with 4 kiosks it is so much faster.

Their setup for the tsa precheck line at Miami is a little hokie

whynotme
02-11-2014, 07:37 PM
guess its time for me to apply:iconTU:
I had two hours to clear customs in dulles (Washington) yesterday to make my connection home and had to run thru the airport to catch my flight:eek:

while I was standing in line I was watching kevy thru the glass as he impatiently waited for his suitcase to come out as he cleared in 3 fuckin minutes with nexus/global:rofl:

MrHappy
02-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Global entry is a great thing and pretty much hassle free.

Although last time I came through Miami they now have 12 kiosks setup in the hall and 8 of them were out of service that day.

But even with 4 kiosks it is so much faster.

Their setup for the tsa precheck line at Miami is a little hokie

Yeah... I've gone through twice where they were routing folks from the regular line into the TSA pre line because of the backlog. That shoots the "pre" all to hell.

Kevy
02-11-2014, 10:41 PM
I'd say you're good to go if you already have the conditional approval.

My interview was nothing more than a quick conversation about where I live and what I do, with a few slightly "off" questions, which I assume was a ploy to see if I would answer correctly. For example: He commented "I see you own a business in the Dominican Republic." I replied "Not exactly, I'm the General Manager" He said, "Oh, right." It lasted all of 3-4 minutes.

I think that by the time you're at the interview, all the investigations have already been done. As the man said, listen carefully and answer honestly.

I also got the "two for one" TSA Pre special combo. A great bargain indeed.

I went through FLL the other day, and the Customs folks were tripping over themselves to get me out the door. When I walked into Immigration, there were probably around 150-175 people in line, and to the side, a roped off walkway to a GE machine in front of an Inspector. I walked past everyone, scanned my passport, got the receipt, took a couple of steps to the inspector, handed him the receipt, and I was out.

From deplaning to climbing on the shuttle outside took maaaybe 5 minutes or so. Excellent!

My only fear is what's going to happen once folks catch on about what a great deal it is. What do you do when there are a hundred GE approved folks at the same time?

That is a long interview, mine was the Canadian guy asking why I wanted it and I said to avoid lines and he said ok. The US guy didn't ask anything, just said I had no record and this is how it works.:rofl:

Gutter Meat
02-12-2014, 01:39 AM
As far as the Pre check part of Global Entry..... Last flight Ihad was on American Airlines out of La Guardia, the Pre check line was long, and the non pre check line people were walking right up to the medal detectors / x ray machines. People have already caught on and its no longer the best kept secret.

MrHappy
02-12-2014, 07:32 AM
That is a long interview, mine was the Canadian guy asking why I wanted it and I said to avoid lines and he said ok. The US guy didn't ask anything, just said I had no record and this is how it works.:rofl:

It's kinda funny.. When I went for the interview, I wasn't sure where the office is located(it's near Lufthansa). I saw a Customs guy and asked him if he could direct me, and he told me he worked there, so I could walk with him.

Nice guy. We exchanged pleasantries on the way. When we got to the office, I had about an hour wait, and by luck of the draw he was the one that did my interview.

The next time I flew into MIA, I went to the GE kiosks, and he was there doing maintenance on the machines. I laughed and said hi, and made a comment about him being the guy that does all the work, and he jokingly went into a rant about what a pain in the butt it was to keep the machines functioning.

He said that in the office where they process GE applications, there are only a few officers, and he was the one that was most technically inclined, so he ended up fixing the machines all the time.

It was kinda funny to see a guy with the Customs uniform with utility belt full of gadgets and a holstered gun doing maintenance work.

JD426
02-12-2014, 01:21 PM
As far as the Pre check part of Global Entry..... Last flight Ihad was on American Airlines out of La Guardia, the Pre check line was long, and the non pre check line people were walking right up to the medal detectors / x ray machines. People have already caught on and its no longer the best kept secret.

You have not experienced LONG until you waited in the Security line at the JFK DELTA terminal, taking one of their EVENING flights to like STI.. all the EURO flights leave in the evening at around the same time...
It was the first time it took me like 90 Minutes, thats an hour an a half, to get thru security, and the TSA reps who ran the lines were complete morons. 2 ladies who were no more than 3 minutes ahead of me, cuz I sat next to them before I entered the line, they ended up getting thru over half hour before I did..
So a 3 minute Piss stop cost me 30 minutes... thats why they tell you to arrive like 2 + hours early.. would have missed my flight for sure.

This GE thing is a winner , no matter how you slice it..

mrblackluv
02-13-2014, 11:06 AM
You have not experienced LONG until you waited in the Security line at the JFK DELTA terminal, taking one of their EVENING flights to like STI.. all the EURO flights leave in the evening at around the same time...
It was the first time it took me like 90 Minutes, thats an hour an a half, to get thru security, and the TSA reps who ran the lines were complete morons. 2 ladies who were no more than 3 minutes ahead of me, cuz I sat next to them before I entered the line, they ended up getting thru over half hour before I did..
So a 3 minute Piss stop cost me 30 minutes... thats why they tell you to arrive like 2 + hours early.. would have missed my flight for sure.

This GE thing is a winner , no matter how you slice it..

My first time using GE was exactly as you described.
I got to the JFK DELTA terminal for a late STI flight about an an hour and ten minutes before the flight.
I saw all those people and said "WTF..I'm screwed"

But low and behold...TSA Pre was on my boarding pass. :iconTU:
No line, no laptop/shoe removal. I was sitting at the gate with an hour to spare.

kitie carson
02-22-2014, 05:21 PM
Just finished my interview in Houston , and approved before I finished the video....I got in early and a walked in 1 hour before my scheduled interview time and asked if he could take me early....

Only 1 other guy in there and he was already to the video part...The Customs Agent said have a seat and if the other appt's are late he would take me...Nice laid back guy...

I read WAY too many horror stories on Flyertalk forums concerning the "interview" and Criminal check part of it so I was kind of nervous...

Even though I passed the preliminary background check and made them aware of my "indescrepancies" 25+ years ago! I read a few stories of people still being denied at the interview portion.. so I walked in expecting to plead my case and beg for forgiveness and admission to program..

The agent took all my ID's and conditional approval letter and pulled me up on screen....Asked me if I had ever been arrested and told him yes 25+ years ago....he asked me what for and I told him and he said! it's 50/50 if they would approve me..he had to wait and see what the Fingerprint Background check with FBI showed...

he then took my pic and fingerprinted me and ran my prints..........He then said NOTHiNG is coming up, am I sure I was arrested?..lol I said pretty damn sure..lol I was in cuffs and had to goto pokey to bail out..
he then said he had to call his superior, and if this was indeed the case, no record in database, I should be good to go....

The only thing I could think of was my family had me in is alternative sentencing program ,but I didn't think that the record would be stricken , as it still shows up in my work background checks..(Needless to say but going to anyway,KIDS ,never steal a bigger than life size Ronald McDonald from Playland, just to ride with him in the back of a pick up truck at 2 AM, You WILL be caught....won't show up that way on your record...believe me!)

made the the call then ran my name,birthdate ,SS number and fingerprint s and not a thing showed up...Supervisor said Ok, he said OK and I he turned the video on, I got my approval letter emailed to me before I finished the video...
NICE...

Waiting for my plane to SJO now....may my trip commence ...

Kevy
02-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Just finished my interview in Houston , and approved before I finished the video....I got in early and a walked in 1 hour before my scheduled interview time and asked if he could take me early....

Only 1 other guy in there and he was already to the video part...The Customs Agent said have a seat and if the other appt's are late he would take me...Nice laid back guy...

I read WAY too many horror stories on Flyertalk forums concerning the "interview" and Criminal check part of it so I was kind of nervous...

Even though I passed the preliminary background check and made them aware of my "indescrepancies" 25+ years ago! I read a few stories of people still being denied at the interview portion.. so I walked in expecting to plead my case and beg for forgiveness and admission to program..

The agent took all my ID's and conditional approval letter and pulled me up on screen....Asked me if I had ever been arrested and told him yes 25+ years ago....he asked me what for and I told him and he said! it's 50/50 if they would approve me..he had to wait and see what the Fingerprint Background check with FBI showed...

he then took my pic and fingerprinted me and ran my prints..........He then said NOTHiNG is coming up, am I sure I was arrested?..lol I said pretty damn sure..lol I was in cuffs and had to goto pokey to bail out..
he then said he had to call his superior, and if this was indeed the case, no record in database, I should be good to go....

The only thing I could think of was my family had me in is alternative sentencing program ,but I didn't think that the record would be stricken , as it still shows up in my work background checks..(Needless to say but going to anyway,KIDS ,never steal a bigger than life size Ronald McDonald from Playland, just to ride with him in the back of a pick up truck at 2 AM, You WILL be caught....won't show up that way on your record...believe me!)

made the the call then ran my name,birthdate ,SS number and fingerprint s and not a thing showed up...Supervisor said Ok, he said OK and I he turned the video on, I got my approval letter emailed to me before I finished the video...
NICE...

Waiting for my plane to SJO now....may my trip commence ...

it is nice and you can use global entry within an hour of the interview. I used it the next day.:smile:

eastcoastallstar
02-22-2014, 07:08 PM
How does global entry work in other countries? Do you get to skip the line on the way back? Does it means that instead of getting to the airport 2-3 hours ahead, I can get there with 30 minutes to board?

Kevy
02-22-2014, 07:14 PM
How does global entry work in other countries? Do you get to skip the line on the way back? Does it means that instead of getting to the airport 2-3 hours ahead, I can get there with 30 minutes to board?

Only works for returning to the US, Canada and Mexico
Yes when you return to the USA you go the the global entry machine and do not have to fill out the card as it is done on the machine. Not to be confused with the other machines there. Most times you do not have to talk to anyone,

No you still have to arrive early, but 30 minutes is no good. Especially on international flights.

Also there is a special lane in many airports for security that you get to use and is faster, no taking shoes off, computers out as you are a trusted traveler.

Hunter
02-22-2014, 07:19 PM
I got secondary searched at JFK this trip coming back from PI.

He opened my clothes bag nothing found. opened my laptop bag and looked thorugh my notes. I was worried there as I had where to get laid info...lol...

then looked in my other bag with condoms etc and didn't even open my condom bag...

didn't ask about PI details or look at my camera or laptop....he gave up and send you are good....I had FTPd all my pics so there was no trail for him to find other than dildos and condoms...lol..

Kevy
02-22-2014, 07:30 PM
I got secondary searched at JFK this trip coming back from PI.

He opened my clothes bag nothing found. opened my laptop bag and looked thorugh my notes. I was worried there as I had where to get laid info...lol...

then looked in my other bag with condoms etc and didn't even open my condom bag...

didn't ask about PI details or look at my camera or laptop....he gave up and send you are good....I had FTPd all my pics so there was no trail for him to find other than dildos and condoms...lol..

Is that with Global entry, they can still secondary you, if the printout from the machine has an X on it, you are going, otherwise you go straight through.

Hunter
02-22-2014, 07:35 PM
Is that with Global entry, they can still secondary you, if the printout from the machine has an X on it, you are going, otherwise you go straight through.

No...I don't have global entry...I should apply though...

whynotme
02-22-2014, 07:37 PM
it is nice and you can use global entry within an hour of the interview. I used it the next day.:smile:

guess its time for me to see if I get my pre clearance................do I apply for nexus first or global entry or does it matter

Hunter
02-22-2014, 08:24 PM
guess its time for me to see if I get my pre clearance................do I apply for nexus first or global entry or does it matter

Not gonna happen...your a criminal because you didn't come to Erics party :wink::lol:

whynotme
02-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Not gonna happen...your a criminal because you didn't come to Erics party :wink::lol:

that's right:smile:

but now I have a waiver and a pardon so I have pre clearance approval so they cant turn me away at the border but they can send me in for secondary when I get a rookie with no powers:eek:

just not sure if I can get nexus/global entry with a waiver:confused:

questner
02-22-2014, 09:50 PM
When I landed at IAD this month there was at times only 1 (!) immigration officer for non-US citizens, no connecting special line like in JKF - nada! It took me 2 hours to clear it, by that time I would have missed my connection. Oh, yeah, my connection was cancelled. It makes me think hard pretty hard of whatever is available, global entry, global penetration, just to avoid the hassle.

Kevy
02-22-2014, 09:50 PM
It is the same, just google Nexus and you apply to the US site. takes around 2 months to get approval and make an appointment in niagara and off you go.

Kevy
02-22-2014, 09:52 PM
When I landed at IAD this month there was at times only 1 (!) immigration officer for non-US citizens, no connecting special line like in JKF - nada! It took me 2 hours to clear it, by that time I would have missed my connection. Oh, yeah, my connection was cancelled. It makes me think hard pretty hard of whatever is available, global entry, global penetration, just to avoid the hassle.

If you are travelling through the states, you are crazy not to have it:wink:

whynotme
02-23-2014, 09:16 AM
It is the same, just google Nexus and you apply to the US site. takes around 2 months to get approval and make an appointment in niagara and off you go.

If you are travelling through the states, you are crazy not to have it:wink:

thanks I will apply today.................. but I might still be crazy even after I get it :corky:

questner
02-23-2014, 10:57 PM
Will this card get me faster to my connecting flight on the way back to Canada when I have to clear Immigration and Customs in the US?

Kevy
02-24-2014, 06:36 AM
Will this card get me faster to my connecting flight on the way back to Canada when I have to clear Immigration and Customs in the US?
It is much faster, I cleared US Immigration in about 3 minutes through Washington last trip, my suitcase took longer LOL.

MrHappy
02-24-2014, 07:01 AM

As we've mentioned before, the difference is night and day.

Imagine getting off the plane, and doing the long walk to Immigration, only to find a few hundred people standing in line waiting to be checked, meaning you are going to be standing in line for at least a half an hour or 45 minutes or more.

Now imagine walking into immigration, only to find a few hundred people standing in line waiting to be checked, and spotting the "Global Entry" sign. You walk right up to a customs agent(no line, or only one or two persons) and walking out of immigration in less time than one person gets checked in the regular line.

Now... how about checking in for a flight, and you see a few hundred people in line to go through the x-ray machines to get to their gate, meaning you are going to be in line for a half an hour or 45 minutes or so.

Now imagine checking in for a flight, only to find a few hundred people standing in line to go through the x-ray machine to get to their gate. You walk over to the TSA Pre line of 3-4 folks, and are on your way to your gate in the time that 1-2 folks got checked in the regular line.

Think that's faster? It's worth 3 times the price.

Sidney
02-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Recently, I passed through what must be the most ''hassled'' airports. both with 2 global entries. AVOID EWR+MIA :mad::mad:

whynotme
02-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Recently, I passed through what must be the most ''hassled'' airports. both with 2 global entries. AVOID EWR+MIA :mad::mad:
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
I love mia and have never had a problem and I pass thru there almost every month

and ewr is by far better for Canadians anyway that sanfran, Denver and dulles

MrHappy
02-25-2014, 07:38 PM
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
I love mia and have never had a problem and I pass thru there almost every month

and ewr is by far better for Canadians anyway that sanfran, Denver and dulles

I've gone through either MIA or FLL 10 times over the last few months, and only a couple were before Global Entry.

I was extremely happy when I experienced GE for the first time.

Think about this: probably less than 20 minutes from walking off the plane, I was out front waiting for my ride. (carry on only, of course)

When was the last time one of you guys got out of Miami in 20 minutes without Global Entry?

whynotme
02-25-2014, 09:13 PM
I've gone through either MIA or FLL 10 times over the last few months, and only a couple were before Global Entry.

I was extremely happy when I experienced GE for the first time.

Think about this: probably less than 20 minutes from walking off the plane, I was out front waiting for my ride. (carry on only, of course)

When was the last time one of you guys got out of Miami in 20 minutes without Global Entry?

actually I do mia in less than 10 minutes because I clear usa customs in Canada before leaving so when landing there I just grab my carryon and leave....no security period

and I never arrive there from anywhere else so mia is perfect for me without GE its the other airports I fly back to the usa on my way to Canada that give me grief:eek:

Hunter
02-26-2014, 01:42 AM
As we've mentioned before, the difference is night and day.

Imagine getting off the plane, and doing the long walk to Immigration, only to find a few hundred people standing in line waiting to be checked, meaning you are going to be standing in line for at least a half an hour or 45 minutes or more.

Now imagine walking into immigration, only to find a few hundred people standing in line waiting to be checked, and spotting the "Global Entry" sign. You walk right up to a customs agent(no line, or only one or two persons) and walking out of immigration in less time than one person gets checked in the regular line.

Now... how about checking in for a flight, and you see a few hundred people in line to go through the x-ray machines to get to their gate, meaning you are going to be in line for a half an hour or 45 minutes or so.

Now imagine checking in for a flight, only to find a few hundred people standing in line to go through the x-ray machine to get to their gate. You walk over to the TSA Pre line of 3-4 folks, and are on your way to your gate in the time that 1-2 folks got checked in the regular line.

Think that's faster? It's worth 3 times the price.

I think I will do it for that. I have rarely waited in immigration and as Sport said I believe you have to wait for your luggage anyway so GE doesn't really work for immigration....I do like that tsa pre though...I will have to drive 2 hours to jfk for an interview so jimmy can show me his Asian spas same day...sounds llike a plan :lol:

j_d66
02-26-2014, 01:44 AM
Things are getting a little more efficient in MIA with global entry
They have 12 kiosks in the hall now and than you have your own line to clear the first part of immigration and customs.

Things get a little mixed up when you go back through security but I found you have to tell them you are TSA precheck or they could route you into the wrong line.

You still have to wait but you kinda get shuffled to the front of the line.

One time I still had to take off shoes and belt etc but last time in January I didn't.

MIA is not as efficient with TSA precheck as other places I have used it.

Detroit seems to be pretty good with it.

Hunter
03-05-2014, 07:46 PM
I think I will do it for that. I have rarely waited in immigration and as Sport said I believe you have to wait for your luggage anyway so GE doesn't really work for immigration....I do like that tsa pre though...I will have to drive 2 hours to jfk for an interview so jimmy can show me his Asian spas same day...sounds llike a plan :lol:

Just completed my online app and the 100 bucks...Lets see how long it takes to get a JFK interview ....

Kevy
03-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Just completed my online app and the 100 bucks...Lets see how long it takes to get a JFK interview ....

Try to find a smaller place close to where you live, could save you months. THe interview at the Toronto Airport is 2 months further away than gong to NIagara.

kitie carson
03-06-2014, 12:29 AM
Used GE for the 1st time since I was approved a few weeks ago and man it was nice.....

coming back from Costa Rica into IAH, and they have a great set-up minus the transfer security line. Walked off plane and the GE signage in IAH was very clear. They have at leas 10 kiosks set up if not more and they all seemed to be working. 2 minutes tops for me to figure it out for the 1st time.

They have a CBP officer waiting after you do your kiosk stuff and all he asked me was if I checked bags or not and he made some notation(B) on my slip....now the long wait for baggage... Bag comes off and I proceed to clearly marked GE customs line....walked right past 3 long lines of people ,some which gave me the stink eye, but hey I'm GE and I'm special!! :rofl:

CBP lady asks if I have anything to declare, I say no and off I go.....now to the transfer security line which had NO precheck line. So I had to wait In a . Long ass line which sucked...

there was TSA precheck signage in corner but lady said that it was closed.....that sux because I had TSA pre-check marked on boarding pass on my domestic legs,since I Inputted my KTN on all my frequent flier accounts which I understand is still not 100% given on all flights.

my flight from SFO to HNL was delayed by 2 hours so I got home about 2am Tuesday AM and my GE card was waiting for me in my mailbox....My pic had a big grin on it...:biggrin:

bailar
03-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Global Entry lets you feel special,, that is for sure...

The last time I went through customs at JFK with GE and a carry-on it took me all of a half an hour. Jet Blue put me on a earlier flight to Boston and I saved 2.5 hrs waiting in the airport for a connection.

The time before that without GE I hit a wall at customs that lasted well over an hour and a half.

SeaWeed
03-06-2014, 09:20 AM
when mi landed about a week ago in Ft Lauderdale......and went thru Immigrations........
they were having problems with the Global Entry thingy.....looked like the machines were screwing up....
so they were spending a lot of time talking to the immigration officers after using the GE machines.......
mi got thru before most did with dat Global Entry thingy since wi were the only flight.....
kinda a fluke both ways mi think.....only one plane and machines kinda down......don't expect to see dat again
the Global Entry people all looked kinda pissed......don't blame dem.....pay all dat money for nuthin.......oh well.......

oh....mi got some rookie gurl immigration officer in her early twenties......she asked mi how long mi was in Jamaica.....
mi grinned and said 12 weeks.......she grinned back and kinda looked like she was thinking.......fuck dat must be nice.....
she was thinking here mi have to sit for 30 years before mi can even think about spending 12 weeks in the Caribbean....lol

Kevy
03-07-2014, 03:27 AM
when mi landed about a week ago in Ft Lauderdale......and went thru Immigrations........
they were having problems with the Global Entry thingy.....looked like the machines were screwing up....
so they were spending a lot of time talking to the immigration officers after using the GE machines.......
mi got thru before most did with dat Global Entry thingy since wi were the only flight.....
kinda a fluke both ways mi think.....only one plane and machines kinda down......don't expect to see dat again
the Global Entry people all looked kinda pissed......don't blame dem.....pay all dat money for nuthin.......oh well.......

oh....mi got some rookie gurl immigration officer in her early twenties......she asked mi how long mi was in Jamaica.....
mi grinned and said 12 weeks.......she grinned back and kinda looked like she was thinking.......fuck dat must be nice.....
she was thinking here mi have to sit for 30 years before mi can even think about spending 12 weeks in the Caribbean....lol

mi thinking Ft Lauderdale only good for spirit air, not better things:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hunter
03-11-2014, 08:44 PM
I got approved and set for interview. I was surprised JFK interviews are WIDE open....pick any day and you can get an appointment...unless real soon. I picked first part of april. Now I just gotta figure out what to say when he says why u go to PI so much.....:eek2: :wink:

whynotme
03-11-2014, 08:48 PM
I got approved and set for interview. I was surprised JFK interviews are WIDE open....pick any day and you can get an appointment...unless real soon. I picked first part of april. Now I just gotta figure out what to say when he says why u go to PI so much.....:eek2: :wink:

its just for business :corky::rofl:

Hunter
03-11-2014, 09:05 PM
its just for business :corky::rofl:

They say I have a girlfriend route is always the best answer.....I only go to boracay....never heard of angeles :rofl:

whynotme
03-11-2014, 09:12 PM
They say I have a girlfriend route is always the best answer.....I only go to boracay....never heard of angeles :rofl:

oh ya I can see the eyes of the bitch cbc agent light up when you say that:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hunter
03-11-2014, 09:14 PM
oh ya I can see the eyes of the bitch cbc agent light up when you say that:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ok... I like to snorkel sounds better :wink:

whynotme
03-11-2014, 09:20 PM

better down load some of westy's pics then:rofl::rofl:

Hunter
04-02-2014, 06:14 PM

Got on the road today to JFK way ahead of time for my global entry interview. Get within 7 miles of JFK and the van wyck is parking lot....fuck me....

show up at terminal 4 and am 15 minutes late. sign the book and go sit down. there is like 8 people waiting and thought to myself this is going to be long afternoon.

But the officer comes out and calls my name first...sweet. guess a lot of those people didn't have appointments.

Get to desk and hand him my info. Then the grilling....so why you go to PI so much...tell me? tell me? I don't believe you you are denied...lol...I joke....

The only question he had was if I went somewhere in mexico and I said Cancun....I thought the system might be telling him I went to cuba which I did...but don't think that was it.

Real nice guy...absolutely no grilling other than that one question...picture..fingerprints and I should have my pass in 2 weeks...sweet....

highly recommended just for the tsapre......I was in and out in less than an hour and 8 dollars parking at terminal 4....

MrHappy
04-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Got on the road today to JFK way ahead of time for my global entry interview. Get within 7 miles of JFK and the van wyck is parking lot....fuck me....

show up at terminal 4 and am 15 minutes late. sign the book and go sit down. there is like 8 people waiting and thought to myself this is going to be long afternoon.

But the officer comes out and calls my name first...sweet. guess a lot of those people didn't have appointments.

Get to desk and hand him my info. Then the grilling....so why you go to PI so much...tell me? tell me? I don't believe you you are denied...lol...I joke....

They did the same thing with me. I was early, and sat there and waited while people arrived after me, and got called before me. (no walk ins there, appointment only) So you can arrive at 3 for a 12 o'clock appointment, and even if there's a whole bunch of people there who arrived before you did but have a later appointment, they will still call you before them.

Hunter
05-01-2014, 07:15 PM
FYI on Global Entry........If you are flying international with a foreign carrier you are NOT going to get TSA-PRE when you get to airport. It is only for domestic flights that you get the PRE.

For instance I am on Cathay Pacific to Jakarta and don't think I will get the TSA-PRE....that is major downer :icontd: The foreign carriers aren't on the system which makes sense. I called Cathay to put in my Known Traveler Number and they said they cant put it in ....no way...

Maybe if I flash my GE card I will be able to get into the line....I will let you know....From what I read you need to go through regular security.....

IF any of you GE guys have different info let me know....

MrHappy
05-01-2014, 07:45 PM
FYI on Global Entry........If you are flying international with a foreign carrier you are NOT going to get TSA-PRE when you get to airport. It is only for domestic flights that you get the PRE.

For instance I am on Cathay Pacific to Jakarta and don't think I will get the TSA-PRE....that is major downer :icontd: The foreign carriers aren't on the system which makes sense. I called Cathay to put in my Known Traveler Number and they said they cant put it in ....no way...

Maybe if I flash my GE card I will be able to get into the line....I will let you know....From what I read you need to go through regular security.....

IF any of you GE guys have different info let me know....

I actually am not THAT thrilled with have TSA-PRE, but it is nice to have. The biggie is Global Entry for me.

Hunter
05-01-2014, 07:48 PM
I actually am not THAT thrilled with have TSA-PRE, but it is nice to have. The biggie is Global Entry for me.

I rarely have a long wait getting into USA....and I have to wait for my bags anyway....but on real busy days in summer it could be sweet....

SeaWeed
05-02-2014, 03:07 PM
hey that's my line........

Count
05-03-2014, 11:17 AM
The title of this thread would be a great title for a porn flick.

Señor JDR of Medellin
05-03-2014, 03:36 PM
I came thru JFK last night and they sent me to those machines and the customs guy said whats the difference between this and Global entry, then laughed and said $100.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

JD426
05-03-2014, 08:33 PM
I came thru JFK last night and they sent me to those machines and the customs guy said whats the difference between this and Global entry, then laughed and said $100.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Those new machines are awesome,, but the pictures they take, good lord.. my face dont look that fat.. ok, well maybe it does..LOL
No stupid questions by the immigration agent who does like a quick 1-2 , no hassles with Customs, out the door like 3 mins after you get your luggage at the carousel.. i hope this is the new way. US Citizens treated with respect once again, re entering their own country.

Hunter
07-07-2014, 08:31 PM

I went to the global entry machines last night and went right through quick. That really doesn't save you time.....Where it really saved me time was there is global entry passage for the baggage check line once you get your bag. There was huge line there last night and I snaked right in and off to passenger pickup.

TSA pre and the baggage check line are worth it.

Señor JDR of Medellin
07-07-2014, 08:41 PM
I went to the global entry machines last night and went right through quick. That really doesn't save you time.....Where it really saved me time was there is global entry passage for the baggage check line once you get your bag. There was huge line there last night and I snaked right in and off to passenger pickup.

TSA pre and the baggage check line are worth it.

What luggage? I got carryon.

Hunter
07-07-2014, 09:05 PM
What luggage? I got carryon.

when you give the slip to the TSA guys right before you exit...that line....even if you have carryon you have to do that.

Señor JDR of Medellin
07-07-2014, 09:14 PM
when you give the slip to the TSA guys right before you exit...that line....even if you have carryon you have to do that.

I don't do lines.:icontd:

JD426
07-07-2014, 09:40 PM

thats called US CUSTOMS, or now just Customs
... has nothing to do with TSA who do security checks for getting ON the plane..

On domestic you deal with TSA only, on international, you got immigration First, and the last guy you see before you exit the building is the US CUSTOMS person..they are the dudes who can search your luggage etc.

im only putting my .02 in cuz i have a cousin who worked in US CUSTOMS for many years..now retired.

He also worked the PORTS like in Newark.. checking Containers, same Agency...

Hunter
07-07-2014, 09:46 PM
thats called US CUSTOMS, or now just Customs
... has nothing to do with TSA who do security checks for getting ON the plane..

On domestic you deal with TSA only, on international, you got immigration First, and the last guy you see before you exit the building is the US CUSTOMS person..they are the dudes who can search your luggage etc.

im only putting my .02 in cuz i have a cousin who worked in US CUSTOMS for many years..now retired.

He also worked the PORTS like in Newark.. checking Containers, same Agency...

Yeah correct...I should of said the customs line....That can get long on busy nights people scrambling with there luggage to get out....

Chief Papi Lindo
09-23-2014, 09:59 AM
My GE was golden last night. I breezed through Customs, etc in just a few minutes at JFK..no long lines..no 10 questions asked 100 times. ..SWEEEET!

kitie carson
10-12-2014, 04:38 PM
Just got home...and used my GE in HNL and glad I had it..no less than 5 international flights at same time in Morning ...2 Sydney,Narita,Osaka,and a few others...made a beeline to immigration and Jam-packed...line snaking ,but I spotted the golden ticket , the GE kiosks with no one using them.

being the friendly guy I am I used her and waved at the hundreds of people in line and said adios...waited a few minutes for my luggage and came off with only about 3 other people from my flight waiting...

Dedicated GE customs line with no one in it and out the door.

fllight landed 9:53 am,,out of terminal by 10:20am....:mrgreen:

Hunter
10-12-2014, 04:47 PM
FYI - I got my new passport this month. You need to go into your global entry account on the web and update your record with the new passport number. Because they give you a new number with a new passport. Damn I had the old one memorized :lol:

whynotme
10-12-2014, 04:55 PM
FYI - I got my new passport this month. You need to go into your global entry account on the web and update your record with the new passport number. Because they give you a new number with a new passport. Damn I had the old one memorized :lol:

will the new passport number wipe out your (mine:wink:) past discretions:o:rofl:

Hunter
10-12-2014, 05:02 PM
will the new passport number wipe out your (mine:wink:) past discretions:o:rofl:

they kept mine with all my stamps to monger places and 2 Mexican stamps when I went to cuba...I am fucked :wink:

I don't think they give it back. Its all stored electronically anyway. There are a bunch of computer chips and stuff in the new one....

Irie
10-12-2014, 06:43 PM
they kept mine with all my stamps to monger places and 2 Mexican stamps when I went to cuba...I am fucked :wink:

I don't think they give it back. Its all stored electronically anyway. There are a bunch of computer chips and stuff in the new one....

Four years ago I got mine back. That wasn't that long ago, or was it. :lol:

I like having it for the memories. Hell, I'm not sure what I did yesterday. :rofl:

Señor JDR of Medellin
10-12-2014, 06:45 PM

I like having it for the memories. Hell, I'm not sure what I did yesterday. :rofl:

I have three passports covering 27 years.

Hunter
10-12-2014, 06:58 PM

maybe they will send it separately...I will have to look at my mail

Irie
10-12-2014, 07:11 PM
maybe they will send it separately...I will have to look at my mail

they never send them together.

j_d66
10-12-2014, 10:09 PM
I renewed mine this year.

They sent my old one back to me in a separate mailing.
They also punch holes in the old one.

Irie
11-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Tonight is one of those nights that I wished that I'd gotten global entry. It took just shy of two hours from the time I deplaned until the time I cleared customs here in MIA. :mad: It was almost 90 minutes to clear immigration. The lines were incredible.

I'm never flying on Sat thanksgiving weekend again. Fortunately I made my connection though.

deezl
11-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Tonight is one of those nights that I wished that I'd gotten global entry. It took just shy of two hours from the time I deplaned until the time I cleared customs here in MIA. :mad: It was almost 90 minutes to clear immigration. The lines were incredible.

I'm never flying on Sat thanksgiving weekend again. Fortunately I made my connection though.

I'm guessing that took longer than the actual flight.

I had a similar situation earlier this month flying MDE to PTY, flight was a little over an hour, line at immigration was about the same (of course, it was Panama City, so Global Entry wouldn't have helped anyway).

Irie
11-29-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm guessing that took longer than the actual flight.

I had a similar situation earlier this month flying MDE to PTY, flight was a little over an hour, line at immigration was about the same (of course, it was Panama City, so Global Entry wouldn't have helped anyway).

The line was a people watchers dream. People are funny in these situations. I couldn't help but laugh at several of them. Apparently they were more important than the other several thousand of us in line. :rolleyes:

Hunter
11-29-2014, 09:09 PM

If you applied you would have to go to Atlanta for the interview. Worth it because you get precheck and it lasts for 5 years...

bailar
12-18-2014, 02:50 AM
The other thing I noticed with my global entry,,,,,,, I don't get stamped when I come back into the country. I have saved a page in my passport since I got it from re-entry stamps. Helps ,, cause I was worried about having to add pages........

j_d66
02-02-2015, 12:40 AM
For those traveling through Miami you will now notice that they have these kiosks that all travelers must use prior to going through immigration.

There is a separate set of kiosks dedicated for Global entry travelers and a set for everyone else.

I guess the idea is to speed things up but the last 2 times I have been through there the lines have been huge and I think it makes it slower.

Except for the Global entry kiosks which had virtually no lines.

In fact my last trip I had a rather close connection time and even with global entry I got to my next gate connection as the plane was beginning to board.

Without global entry I would have had no chance in making that flight.

As far as I know that don't give preference to those with short connection windows.

I can't recommend global entry high enough. It makes international travel so much better.
Unless you can't qualify to get it for some reason it is money well spent.

Plus TSA precheck can be a nice thing as well.

This ends my PSA for Global entry :corky:

kitie carson
02-02-2015, 03:41 AM
For those traveling through Miami you will now notice that they have these kiosks that all travelers must use prior to going through immigration.

There is a separate set of kiosks dedicated for Global entry travelers and a set for everyone else.

I guess the idea is to speed things up but the last 2 times I have been through there the lines have been huge and I think it makes it slower.

In fact my last trip I had a rather close connection time and even with global entry I got to my next gate connection as the plane was beginning to board.

As far as I know that don't give preference to those with short connection windows.

I can't recommend global entry high enough. It makes international travel so much better.

I really enjoy walking past the lines in immigration and quick Customs lines and getting precheck...Now I kinda don't want anyone else to know or get GE....I'm selfish..:corky:

Kevy
02-02-2015, 06:15 AM
Still the best $50 I ever spent:smile:

JD426
02-02-2015, 11:27 AM

Can someone elaborate a little more on this part... I know that they allow the people in those Long lines to go to a SEPERATE Line which is visibly shorter or no line at all .. Or at least this is what I think I was seeing... But you still go through the Same Body Scan screening, No ??..... or is it like a DEDICATED LINE with less screening?
I was never able to get a good look at what the exact process is.. someone said no more removing shoes, and just a quick walk thru the metal detector ?

thanks

Skynyrd
02-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Can someone elaborate a little more on this part... I know that they allow the people in those Long lines to go to a SEPERATE Line which is visibly shorter or no line at all .. Or at least this is what I think I was seeing... But you still go through the Same Body Scan screening, No ??..... or is it like a DEDICATED LINE with less screening?
I was never able to get a good look at what the exact process is.. someone said no more removing shoes, and just a quick walk thru the metal detector ?

thanks

I just applied online for my TSA pre chk and Known trav number today, they gave me a appt for next Monday at the Orlando Airport.
From what I understan no more shoes and belt off or Laptop out of case ect...

Hunter
02-02-2015, 11:53 AM
I have used my global entry a bunch of times now at JFK and it has never saved me time...lol...It just gets you to luggage carousel quicker than the other people and you still waif for your luggage.

I think it could be useful at cluster fuck airports like Miamia as JD says. I haven't hit a mega line at JFK or Newark yet coming back from asia - dr - etc.

TSA -Pre is nice. Yeah its shoes on light jacket on laptop or liquids don't have to come out.

And once you get your bags there is a global entry line that can save you time.

I don't think you get secondary inspected as much if you have global entry.

j_d66
02-02-2015, 12:06 PM

thanks

Each airport is different

But basically you get a dedicated line normally much shorter where you don't have to take off your shoes, belt or remove laptop or liquids from bag
You go typically go through a metal detector that in theory is not as sensitive.

In Miami they route you through a separate line which gets you through much quicker.
If you fail the metal detector which I often do they send you through the body scanner to see what set off the metal detector.

In Miami it normally takes about 15 min max to get from the beginning of the kiosks through security to back into the terminal.
It's a huge time saver.

The TSA screeners seem to be a little more laid back in that line as well

j_d66
02-02-2015, 12:24 PM
I just applied online for my TSA pre chk and Known trav number today, they gave me a appt for next Monday at the Orlando Airport.
From what I understan no more shoes and belt off or Laptop out of case ect...

Wow that's really quick you are lucky they could get it done so fast for you.

Skynyrd
02-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Wow that's really quick you are lucky they could get it done so fast for you.

LMAO thats Nothing....I just chked the status and appt schedule and saw there was an opening at 12:30pm TOMORROW so I changed my appt.
will let you know how it goes tomorrow.
Luckily I got my passport renewal back in todays mail lol

j_d66
02-02-2015, 03:29 PM
LMAO thats Nothing....I just chked the status and appt schedule and saw there was an opening at 12:30pm TOMORROW so I changed my appt.

Great. Normally it takes awhile for them to process the application before you can schedule an appointment.
Sounds like they are getting more efficient with the process.

kitie carson
02-02-2015, 08:07 PM

SKynryd...you are doing pre-check? not GE? the amount of international trips you take, you would love it...PLUS you get Pre-check with it

Skynyrd
02-02-2015, 08:54 PM
SKynryd...you are doing pre-check? not GE? the amount of international trips you take, you would love it...PLUS you get Pre-check with it

I am doing TSA pre chk tomorrow, I was going to try the GE but i read you cant have any past criminal record for that, and I was busted with pot in my early 20s....got time served (3 days lol ) and a fine but its still a record.
The TSA pre chk listed only certain things that mattered, none of which ive done lol

kitie carson
02-02-2015, 09:13 PM
I am doing TSA pre chk tomorrow, I was going to try the GE but i read you cant have any past criminal record for that, and I was busted with pot in my early 20s....got time served (3 days lol ) and a fine but its still a record.
The TSA pre chk listed only certain things that mattered, none of which ive done lol

Understood..Yeah I was nervous as i had a DUI @ 19 yrs old , and a college prank gone bad....Never take a Ronald Mcdonald from Playland and ride around with it in back of pick up at 2am:corky::corky::corky:

But that was 20+ years ago, so luckily i was approved....The CBP guy actually had to take it up with supervisor who then approved me...

whynotme
02-02-2015, 11:37 PM

its never to late to get a pardon.......... I got mine:corky:............... but unfortunately I didn't get it in time and after 911 they checked and now I have to get a waiver every 5 years to enter the usa from Canada and get secondaried almost every time as well........ oh well beats the alternatives:wink::corky:

Skynyrd
02-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Just got home from the 2 hr drive to the Orlando Airport interview and fingerprint....Guy said id get notified in a letter or can chk status online in about 5 days to see if approved..... Really didnt ask any questions, just checked passport, asked if everything was correct on application and took fingerprints, whole thing took 5 mins...4 hrs and 5 mins with round trip drive lol

LJDMV
02-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Just got home from the 2 hr drive to the Orlando Airport interview and fingerprint....Guy said id get notified in a letter or can chk status online in about 5 days to see if approved..... Really didnt ask any questions, just checked passport, asked if everything was correct on application and took fingerprints, whole thing took 5 mins...4 hrs and 5 mins with round trip drive lol

Did not know they did this at orlando airport>>> What was total cost for everything?

Skynyrd
02-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Did not know they did this at orlando airport>>> What was total cost for everything?

85.00 used my US Airways card so id at least get some miles out of it lol

btw its located in front of the Delta baggage claim Terminal B

Chief Papi Lindo
08-05-2015, 07:22 PM
They are promoting GE like crazy nowadays. I want this to remain the best kept secret. I love passing up everybody in the airport.

Hunter
08-05-2015, 07:37 PM
They are promoting GE like crazy nowadays. I want this to remain the best kept secret. I love passing up everybody in the airport.

The precheck is nice. If you a check a bag the customs part doesnt really save you any time because you have to wait for your bags anyway. I have never seen a huge line at JFK. I am sure it is better at airports like Miami....Cutting the line after you get the bag has saved me a little time sometimes. I think you are less inclined to get secondaried which is a big plus...I am still glad I got it for the 100 bucks.

Kevy
08-05-2015, 08:49 PM

That is slow, they approved me on the spot.

huskerdude
08-05-2015, 09:44 PM
If you just go to the DR and pass through MIA, it will save you for the free Mobile Passport. You basically download the app for free, then fill out the app. upon arrival in MIA, then follow the signs which follow the global entry lines. The last couple trips, it took me 2-2-1/2 hours to clear customs. With the mobile passport, it took about 20 minutes.

Chief Papi Lindo
08-05-2015, 11:30 PM
The precheck is nice. If you a check a bag the customs part doesnt really save you any time because you have to wait for your bags anyway. I have never seen a huge line at JFK. I am sure it is better at airports like Miami....Cutting the line after you get the bag has saved me a little time sometimes. I think you are less inclined to get secondaried which is a big plus...I am still glad I got it for the 100 bucks.

it saves me time bc i always get stopped and asked 10 questions 100 different times, but now i just go to the kiosk and scan my fingerprints.....get my print out and then off to baggage claim...once i get my bags, i have to check them back in before i go to the connecting flight gate....i save time bc there is a line just for GE there too which saves hella time....

Hunter
09-01-2015, 08:55 AM
Word of Advice:

When you put your passport in the global entry machine and take the receipt....

REMEMBER to take your passport and not leave it in the machine :eek2: :wink::rofl:

Dumb ass Hunter leaves his in the machine and gets out to take shuttle bus and says where is my passport...

duh - had to go to my airlines customer service girl who had a girl inside ask the passport guys if they found it.

YUP - thank god. Border passport agent comes out and gives it back to me. I told him rough vacation and he laughed.

I will get to my trip from hell - Morocco :eek2:

Westy
09-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Just got Global Entry - tomorrow's my first trip with it.

I applied for it 13 August, filled out the online form, ready for the background check.

Got my background-check-approved email Tuesday, 25 August. Scheduled my enrollment-center visit Thursday morning, at IAD ... the officer took my photo, took the scans, and told me it was active "today" and I'll get my ID card in "two to three weeks."

The card arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon.

Kevy
09-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Just got Global Entry - tomorrow's my first trip with it.

I applied for it 13 August, filled out the online form, ready for the background check.

Got my background-check-approved email Tuesday, 25 August. Scheduled my enrollment-center visit Thursday morning, at IAD ... the officer took my photo, took the scans, and told me it was active "today" and I'll get my ID card in "two to three weeks."

The card arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon.

I flew out the next day as it was active but no card. I showed them the email and since it works with your passport I was able to use the kiosks. Only need the card for land bordering crossings.

el_papi_chew_low
11-25-2015, 04:05 PM
Haven't had much time to get on the site since moving to the DR a year ago. Yeah, life is good!

Anyway, I renewed my passport in the DR several months ago and was wondering if my global would get transferred. Well the good news is that I went to visit my momz recently in Florida and used my new passport for the first time. I went through Miami so Global Entry definitely comes in handy. My Global was on my new passport which was cool because I have a new passport number. No glitches to report.

j_d66
11-25-2015, 05:00 PM
Haven't had much time to get on the site since moving to the DR a year ago. Yeah, life is good!

Anyway, I renewed my passport in the DR several months ago and was wondering if my global would get transferred. Well the good news is that I went to visit my momz recently in Florida and used my new passport for the first time. I went through Miami so Global Entry definitely comes in handy. My Global was on my new passport which was cool because I have a new passport number. No glitches to report.

Nice

You didn't even have to update your new passport number on the global entry website?
They must be getting more efficient with things

When I renewed my passport about a year ago all I had to was login to the global entry website and provide my new passport number.

rudy22
11-26-2015, 01:32 AM
If you just go to the DR and pass through MIA, it will save you for the free Mobile Passport. You basically download the app for free, then fill out the app. upon arrival in MIA, then follow the signs which follow the global entry lines. The last couple trips, it took me 2-2-1/2 hours to clear customs. With the mobile passport, it took about 20 minutes.
MY last trip from MNL-HK-ORD on CX I used the mobile passport app and went thru a line in maybe two minutes. So that was good, but then I got picked for secondary inspection, was asked a few questions and had bags quickly looked at and sent on my way. So if you don't have the Global Entry the Mobile Passport works pretty good if you go thru ORD MIA and a few other airtopts that they use it

kitie carson
12-15-2015, 09:29 PM
Did anyone just catch Marco Rubio and Rand Paul talking about Global Entry during the debate?

damn wish they would keep that quiet.....

gulfmariner
12-15-2015, 11:19 PM
Three years later with GE and Trusted Traveler , cant count how much time and headaches it has saved me between flights for work and abroad.....

SrSuerte
02-16-2016, 06:12 PM
MY last trip from MNL-HK-ORD on CX I used the mobile passport app and went thru a line in maybe two minutes. So that was good, but then I got picked for secondary inspection, was asked a few questions and had bags quickly looked at and sent on my way. So if you don't have the Global Entry the Mobile Passport works pretty good if you go thru ORD MIA and a few other airtopts that they use it

I downloaded the App while I was on the plane taxiing to the gate. I added my info, filled out the paperwork and submitted it. I got a bar code and rushed to the desk because I had a low battery.:eek2::eek2:

I made it and I went to a line with maybe 4 people in front of me. Everyone else got in the snake line. The Stewardess told all of but everyone did not do it.

j_d66
02-16-2016, 07:54 PM
I downloaded the App while I was on the plane taxiing to the gate. I added my info, filled out the paperwork and submitted it. I got a bar code and rushed to the desk because I had a low battery.:eek2::eek2:

I made it and I went to a line with maybe 4 people in front of me. Everyone else got in the snake line. The Stewardess told all of but everyone did not do it.

Was this in Miami that you encountered such a quick way through?

The last few times I have been through MIA the line to the kiosks for general entry has been so huge if you don't have at least 2 hours between connections you likely won't make your flight.

I just smile as I walk passed all of them to my global entry kiosk with virtually no line.

The best part about global entry in MIA at least is they don't even ask me any questions at all anymore.

However, last time when going back through security in the early evening they did not have TSA pre-check open though :confused: which slowed things down for sure.

I am still a global entry fan for sure. If you are able to be approved for it it is a no brainer.

SrSuerte
02-16-2016, 08:22 PM
Was this in Miami that you encountered such a quick way through?

The last few times I have been through MIA the line to the kiosks for general entry has been so huge if you don't have at least 2 hours between connections you likely won't make your flight.

I just smile as I walk passed all of them to my global entry kiosk with virtually no line.

The best part about global entry in MIA at least is they don't even ask me any questions at all anymore.

However, last time when going back through security in the early evening they did not have TSA pre-check open though :confused: which slowed things down for sure.

I am still a global entry fan for sure. If you are able to be approved for it it is a no brainer.

It was Miami. We use the same line as the Global entry to get the passport stamped. The good thing about mobile passport is that you walk straight up to the short line without any stops after getting off of the plane in Miami.

madvillian
02-16-2016, 10:23 PM
It was Miami. We use the same line as the Global entry to get the passport stamped. The good thing about mobile passport is that you walk straight up to the short line without any stops after getting off of the plane in Miami.

Miami sounds like a shit show, would you recommend a traveler use FLL or MCO for connecting flights?

j_d66
02-17-2016, 12:09 AM
Miami sounds like a shit show, would you recommend a traveler use FLL or MCO for connecting flights?

I don't think MCO would be an option cause I don't think there is anything direct between MCO and the DR

FLL most likely will have you flying Spirit. :icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd:

Just get the Global entry and its not an issue at all cause you bypass all the long lines.

Sounds like the app might save some time as well if you don't want to go the Global entry route but unless you are not able to get Global entry it is a no brainer if you fly with any regularity as you also get TSA pre-check which is an even bigger time savings.

j_d66
02-17-2016, 12:16 AM

I doubt its the same line as Global entry cause they don't stamp your passport anymore.

You get a slip and totally bypass the rest of immigration all together.

Than after picking up luggage they route you through the same line that the crew goes through. You don't even show them your passport until you get to this point and they basically look at your picture and wave you through.

Looks like what you are going through is an expedited line in passport control.

So I would surmise it speeds up the process for you quite alot.

Westy
02-17-2016, 12:58 AM

For me, then, the question would be - would it make things any faster, used with Global Entry?

Irie
02-17-2016, 03:24 PM

Not sure why everyone's having issues in MIA (non-global entry). I went through half a dozen times in the last year alone and only had an issue on Thanksgiving weekend........and I knew better than to travel that day. It was easily two hours before I was through customs.

Most at times the lines look really big, but they move surprisingly fast. My average time from the time I step off the me to exiting customs customs has been around 45-50 minutes other than the above mentioned.

I have to to agree that global entry is the way to go with super tight connections.

Also, I've only been through FLL once.........and that was enough for me. I'll avoid it going forward at all costs.

SrSuerte
02-17-2016, 04:50 PM
I doubt its the same line as Global entry cause they don't stamp your passport anymore.

You get a slip and totally bypass the rest of immigration all together.

Than after picking up luggage they route you through the same line that the crew goes through. You don't even show them your passport until you get to this point and they basically look at your picture and wave you through.

Looks like what you are going through is an expedited line in passport control.

So I would surmise it speeds up the process for you quite alot.

After getting off the plane and taking the walk to immigration the Global Entry guys went to the Kiosk Machines and I went directly to the booth labled Global Entry / Mobile Passport. We then Proceeded to get our bags. For some reason the Area for Global Entry and Crew was close on Monday. Also nobody had to wait in line to be questioned after getting bags. We there were not even agents on duty We walked right past the station where we would normally be waved through or sent to do further checks. Then I turn my bags in to go to my next flight. I have never seen it like this before. Zero Customs Checks after getting bags. I just now realized no stamp.

bailar
02-18-2016, 08:28 PM
I like the no stamp part. Saves room in my passport.

kitie carson
02-18-2016, 11:58 PM
After getting off the plane and taking the walk to immigration the Global Entry guys went to the Kiosk Machines and I went directly to the booth labled Global Entry / Mobile Passport. We then Proceeded to get our bags. For some reason the Area for Global Entry and Crew was close on Monday. Also nobody had to wait in line to be questioned after getting bags. We there were not even agents on duty We walked right past the station where we would normally be waved through or sent to do further checks. Then I turn my bags in to go to my next flight. I have never seen it like this before. Zero Customs Checks after getting bags. I just now realized no stamp.

I like the no stamp part. Saves room in my passport.

Before I got GE, I always thought getting stamped on return to the US was totally random if ever at all.......out of 15+!international trips returns from 2011-2014 before I got GE I only have 1 US stamp when I returned...

SrSuerte
02-22-2016, 11:15 AM
Before I got GE, I always thought getting stamped on return to the US was totally random if ever at all.......out of 15+!international trips returns from 2011-2014 before I got GE I only have 1 US stamp when I returned...
I guess I don't pay attention to what they do anymore. It all sounds like blah blah blah until I get may passport back. I am sure I am wrong because I just float through there.

NiteStallion876
03-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Pretty cool stuff.....intrigued to see the benefits in the flesh while using it in my own travels...

I applied for it on Saturday...and got the notice today that I was conditionally approved. (4 days later)

But I have to wait a few more weeks since I just mailed out my old passport to be renewed....but I was surprised they reviewed my app so fast.

I was told that the actual interview is pretty painless.

Can anyone confirm?

Westy
03-02-2016, 04:11 PM
Pretty cool stuff.....intrigued to see the benefits in the flesh while using it in my own travels...

I applied for it on Saturday...and got the notice today that I was conditionally approved. (4 days later)

But I have to wait a few more weeks since I just mailed out my old passport to be renewed....but I was surprised they reviewed my app so fast.

Can anyone confirm?

Yes, I can so confirm.

MrHappy
03-02-2016, 08:18 PM

Can anyone confirm?

A few simple questions. My interviewer asked me a couple of "trick" questions that were nothing more than me correcting him for something he said that wasn't quite right.

Stuff like "So you've worked in the same job for 8 years?" "No, actually it's nine years." *Smile*

In my case I had to ask a customs official where the office was located, and he told me to follow him and he'd show me. Polite chit-chat on the way, and by luck of the draw, he was the guy who interviewed me.

Piece of cake. They are really just trying to weed out potential troublemakers.

Chief Papi Lindo
03-13-2017, 05:15 PM
i was going thru MIA Airport last Weds and the lines for GE were super long...they hd about 40 kiosk but only 5 worked - WTF..anybody else witness this?

j_d66
03-13-2017, 06:03 PM
i was going thru MIA Airport last Weds and the lines for GE were super long...they hd about 40 kiosk but only 5 worked - WTF..anybody else witness this?

Perhaps it wasn't the Global entry kiosks you were looking at but the kiosks for regular passengers

Everyone coming back into MIA has to use a kiosk now.

The line for the regular passengers to use their kiosk is always huge but if you keep walking down that hall there are maybe 15-20 other kiosks that are there for global entry and there are always some that don't work but there is never a line there but maybe it wasn't your lucky day

Chief Papi Lindo
03-13-2017, 09:42 PM
Perhaps it wasn't the Global entry kiosks you were looking at but the kiosks for regular passengers

Everyone coming back into MIA has to use a kiosk now.

The line for the regular passengers to use their kiosk is always huge but if you keep walking down that hall there are maybe 15-20 other kiosks that are there for global entry and there are always some that don't work but there is never a line there but maybe it wasn't your lucky day

no it was for ge...we were all angry

Kevy
03-13-2017, 10:17 PM

Last month I used a machine but it was out of paper and I had to fill out the forms and go through like a regular person. Damn.

Last week even after using the machine they made me go to the guy in the both and he stamped my passport
First time in a few years. Something strange going on with global entry.

SeaWeed
03-15-2017, 06:28 PM
all mi can say about the Global Mobile Entry App is ......WOW! WOW!
used it for the first time....and mi was able to go from Immigration and thru Customs in Ft Lauderdale in under 5 minutes......
mi kid you not......mi didn't have any baggage to pick up so mi just kept walking thru.....lol
all the custom border guys were like...what the f..k...them thinking this guy doesn't have clue and him coasting thru immigration and customs
kinda reminds mi of the days when you had to physically pay the road tolls and then can along the electronic passes....
so if mi was a Border Agent......mi wouldn't be too comfortable with mi job security either.....oh well

oh screw paying the $100 and just get the Global Passport App........no brainer

Jimbo44
03-15-2017, 06:47 PM
I have a passport question....I have a buddy who has 2 passports. He did this because he needed to hide his first PP from his girl here in USA. So he claimed his bag was stolen and got a new one a month or so later. So his first one was invalid here in USA. But he wants to go to DR in early May, and asked me if he can just take the invalid one, with a 2025 exp date, but invalid in USA, to the arrival customs in Puerta Plata airport. Will they be able to realize its invalid here. Or just look at the pic, and him and stamp it. He will have the valid one with him to use upon his return to the USA.??

SeaWeed
03-15-2017, 07:05 PM
I have a passport question....I have a buddy who has 2 passports. He did this because he needed to hide his first PP from his girl here in USA. So he claimed his bag was stolen and got a new one a month or so later. So his first one was invalid here in USA. But he wants to go to DR in early May, and asked me if he can just take the invalid one, with a 2025 exp date, but invalid in USA, to the arrival customs in Puerta Plata airport. Will they be able to realize its invalid here. Or just look at the pic, and him and stamp it. He will have the valid one with him to use upon his return to the USA.??

probably invalid since you can't have two......if he had another passport from another country......then him would be good to go
mi attorney has a USA passport and a France passport.....him always bragging about dat....says it makes life a lot easier when traveling

mi happen to have two Florida License ID's and use the one that has mi old address in Jamaica all da time....it's no problem since it not expired

Jimbo44
03-15-2017, 09:31 PM
probably invalid since you can't have two......if he had another passport from another country......then him would be good to go
mi attorney has a USA passport and a France passport.....him always bragging about dat....says it makes life a lot easier when traveling

mi happen to have two Florida License ID's and use the one that has mi old address in Jamaica all da time....it's no problem since it not expired
Yes understood, however he never gonna sho the other passport in DR. Only the one he claimed he lost...... but never actually did.....

CentralNJDude
03-15-2017, 09:39 PM
Not sure if they invalidate the scan code that the automated machines read on the old passport. If it comes up as invalid; he better have the other one handy..

Jimbo44
03-15-2017, 10:33 PM
Not sure if they invalidate the scan code that the automated machines read on the old passport. If it comes up as invalid; he better have the other one handy..

Exactly what I was thinking as well. He knows to have the other one with him,.... as he will def need it upon entry back to USA.
Then if asked in DR, why 2, he will say what a lot of us do.... is have an old passport to walk around with!! And good one in safe.

Chief Papi Lindo
03-16-2017, 04:05 AM

THIS...i wouldnt play with immigration shit...if its too much confusion, it can cost him hours and hours of explaining...here or DR. i imagine if one is stamp and the other is not - trouble!

j_d66
03-16-2017, 09:41 AM
This guy should consider getting global entry.

His passport will not get stamped when coming back into the USA

Not sure if the old one would work even when going into another country since they all pretty much scan them now

Jimbo44
03-16-2017, 05:46 PM
OK guys thanx for all your input, I will relay the info....:iconTU:

Kevy
03-19-2017, 07:17 PM
global entry worked fine in Washington, it was dead here and usually dulles is a nightmare to travel through. I did get stopped and the guys says one question do you have any food or vegetables?:rofl::rofl: I say no and go to reach for the printout from the machine and he says I keep it. WTF? anyway continue on and my suitcase is third out and off, there is no one after the bagage, they are only looking for people with an orange box??? most people are confused but the guy says keep going going. I drop my bag off with the united guys and security has no lineup. MY best experience at Dulles ever!

jacknback
06-12-2018, 06:28 PM
For those who have Capital One Venture card as of today you can charge GE to the card and they will reimburse you the hunred dollar fee.

Don't know when the offer expires.

j_d66
06-12-2018, 10:51 PM
I just renewed mine and they still make you do an interview even on renewal but this time I was able to do it right in customs at the Dallas airport.

They a separate lane that you went through and they took a new picture and your fingerprints again.

I had my new card within a couple of days and am good to go for another 5 years

SeaWeed
06-13-2018, 08:13 AM
used Mobile Passport again last month going through Ft Lauderdale and was the first one....faster than Global Entry....
been using it for three years now without a hitch....plus you get TSA PreApproved once you have Moblile Passport.....
and it didn't cost mi anything like Global Entry does.......no face to face interview either......best Android App ever....yah mon

huskerdude
06-13-2018, 11:16 AM
I've been using Mobliue Passport for about 2-3 years now in MIA & I get through faster than my buddies with Global Entry. LOL

j_d66
06-13-2018, 11:45 AM
used Mobile Passport again last month going through Ft Lauderdale and was the first one....faster than Global Entry....
been using it for three years now without a hitch....plus you get TSA PreApproved once you have Moblile Passport.....
and it didn't cost mi anything like Global Entry does.......no face to face interview either......best Android App ever....yah mon

You sure about that?

TSA precheck is a separate program that you have to be pre approved for.

The Mobile passport app is nothing more than a app that allows you to process your arrival before walking up to the CBP officer for inspection. All it does is replace the little paper card or the separate kiosks in places like Miami and speeds up the process since they have your information and answers in advance and you can bypass the longer separate processing lines.

If you are getting TSA precheck it is from a source other than the mobile passport app.

I will pay that $20 a year for the convenience of Global entry and especially TSA Pre-check every time.

Westy
06-13-2018, 11:54 AM
You sure about that?

TSA precheck is a separate program that you have to be pre approved for.

The Mobile passport app is nothing more than a app that allows you to process your arrival before walking up to the CBP officer for inspection. All it does is replace the little paper card or the separate kiosks in places like Miami and speeds up the process since they have your information and answers in advance and you can bypass the longer separate processing lines.

If you are getting TSA precheck it is from a source other than the mobile passport app.

I will pay that $20 a year for the convenience of Global entry and especially TSA Pre-check every time.

Exactly. Global Entry isn't about getting through CHI quickly - it's about getting through Homeland Security to our gates quickly.

SeaWeed
06-14-2018, 11:22 AM
You sure about that?
. positive.......mi only ever done Mobile Passport.....nuthin else

Nope you are incorrect.....

j_d66
06-14-2018, 11:42 AM
positive.......mi only ever done Mobile Passport.....nuthin else

Nope you are incorrect.....

I think your confused. Mobile passport only been around since 2016 so how can that be the only thing you have ever done :confused:

TSA pre-check is a completely different program totally separate from passport control and are in 2 separate parts of the airport.

TSA-precheck is in the security part of the airport.

So your going through airport security with your mobile passport app? LOL I think not

I guess your the only guy on earth to get it without having to go through the TSA enrollment process. Lucky man :rolleyes:

https://mobilepassport.us/

Direct from the mobile passport website

https://s26.postimg.cc/kqzbz9lzd/mobile_pass.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

greydread
06-14-2018, 07:01 PM
Exactly. Global Entry isn't about getting through CHI quickly - it's about getting through Homeland Security to our gates quickly.
I used TSA pre-check only once. TSA guys treated me like some kind of VIP (Man, if they only knew...)

Most times I don't use it because I can't remember my passport number when I'm booking the flights. After that it's not an option.

All those pre flight security programs are useless to me because none of them will keep me from getting x-rayed, wanded and patted down 3 times before flying into the USA from Istanbul.

j_d66
06-15-2018, 12:55 PM
I used TSA pre-check only once. TSA guys treated me like some kind of VIP (Man, if they only knew...)

Most times I don't use it because I can't remember my passport number when I'm booking the flights. After that it's not an option.

All those pre flight security programs are useless to me because none of them will keep me from getting x-rayed, wanded and patted down 3 times before flying into the USA from Istanbul.

With American, United and Delta and any other participating airline, there is a place to put that information in with your profile and it's not your passport id that you would put in.

You have a PAASID number or known traveler number that you put in that identifies you as being in the program

Then it is all automatic after that. Prints the little TSA icon on the boarding ticket or shows up in your airline app boarding pass.

Most airports I been to your not even getting into the pre-check line without showing some one that you have it.

greydread
06-15-2018, 09:14 PM
With American, United and Delta and any other participating airline, there is a place to put that information in with your profile and it's not your passport id that you would put in.

You have a PAASID number or known traveler number that you put in that identifies you as being in the program

Then it is all automatic after that. Prints the little TSA icon on the boarding ticket or shows up in your airline app boarding pass.

Most airports I been to your not even getting into the pre-check line without showing some one that you have it.
You will still get searched 3x in Istanbul. So what good is it?

j_d66
06-15-2018, 09:27 PM
You will still get searched 3x in Istanbul. So what good is it?

are you serious :confused:
your an experienced world traveler
you know full well TSA pre check is for use in united states airports not airports abroad.

Hunter
06-15-2018, 09:46 PM
Global Entry is good for getting TSA Pre....

As far as coming into the country it will work 1 out of 10 trips....so worth it for me.....

Most of the times you get through customs quick but then have to wait for your luggage....For guys like WNM who do carryon for a 2 week trip you can save time...

Also you can save time when you get your luggage and they have a global entry line to get out of the terminal...but lately in JFK there is no global entry line for that and they just let you through...

It can save you that once out of 10 times...when I was in Newark and I went through in 2 mintues and waited for m buddy without global entry for 45 minutes.....

Still worth getting for 100 bucks....

j_d66
06-15-2018, 09:58 PM
I have never flown into a single US airport that Global entry wasn't faster than normal processing.

especially Miami. No way in hell your ever getting through quicker there

With global entry they will ask you very few questions and in about 40 trips since i have had global entry my bags have not been search a single time.
Plus I like not having to answer hardly any questions about my travels

TSA pre-check is not always terribly fast since more and more people use it but it will almost always be faster than regular processing.

Plus you don't have to remove stuff from your bag or take your shoes off even if they make you go through the regular line.

Hunter
06-15-2018, 10:04 PM
I have never flown into a single US airport that Global entry wasn't faster than normal processing.

With global entry they will ask you very few questions and in about 40 trips since i have had global entry my bags have not been search a single time.

TSA pre-check is not always terribly fast since more and more people use it but it will almost always be faster than regular processing.

Plus you don't have to remove stuff from your bag or take your shoes off even if they make you go through the regular line.

yeah I have not gone through miami in ages since I am direct flight guy now...but yeah listen to JD if you have to connect in Miami to DR...go for GE...

greydread
06-15-2018, 10:08 PM
are you serious :confused:
your an experienced world traveler
you know full well TSA pre check is for use in united states airports not airports abroad.
Exactly

I never have problems at U.S. airports. In-out no problem.

greydread
06-15-2018, 10:10 PM
Global Entry is good for getting TSA Pre....

As far as coming into the country it will work 1 out of 10 trips....so worth it for me.....

Most of the times you get through customs quick but then have to wait for your luggage....For guys like WNM who do carryon for a 2 week trip you can save time...

Also you can save time when you get your luggage and they have a global entry line to get out of the terminal...but lately in JFK there is no global entry line for that and they just let you through...

It can save you that once out of 10 times...when I was in Newark and I went through in 2 mintues and waited for m buddy without global entry for 45 minutes.....

Still worth getting for 100 bucks....

With a 3 hour layover

What's the point? :confused:

greydread
06-15-2018, 10:11 PM

I enjoy taking my shoes off :wink-new:

whynotme
06-16-2018, 06:39 AM
With a 3 hour layover

for me it means more time in the lounge for sss and drinking and eating for free:greedy_dollars:

greydread
06-16-2018, 06:51 AM
for me it means more time in the lounge for sss and drinking and eating for free:greedy_dollars:
For me it's the difference between standing in line with the rest of the cattle or hanging around the gate area with the rest of the cattle. It's entertainment, either way.

While I'm waiting I play this little game in my head: "Wouldn't hit that..wouldn't hit that..wouldn't hit that..Hell Yeah I'd smash that..nope..nope..yup, but only with her face in the pillow..."

whynotme
06-16-2018, 07:31 AM
..yup, but only with her face in the pillow..."

:rofl::rofl:

greydread
06-16-2018, 08:09 AM
:rofl::rofl:
I've spent my entire life in self discovery mode and there's nothing that will tell you more about yourself than a funny-looking young Lady with a great body....when nobody's looking..:rofl:

Hunter
06-16-2018, 08:22 AM
With a 3 hour layover

One day when you miss your connection because stuck in the immigration line....I will tell you "Told u :p"

Westy
06-16-2018, 08:36 AM
One day when you miss your connection because stuck in the immigration line....I will tell you "Told u :p"
Yeah, I've been through the missed-connection game, too ... in Los Angeles, Dec 2016, just a couple of days before Christmas. The flight from Narita arrived late, I was handed an "Expedite" chit right out of the gate ... and I was stuck waiting for my scuba bag until after my connection had left! AA booked me on "the next available," a red-eye leaving 10 hours later, and I spent the time in the (crowded) Alaska Airlines lounge with a glass in my hand....

greydread
06-16-2018, 09:06 AM

Hasn't happened yet in 44 years of flying commercial...:rolleyes:

You're just mad because they picked your pocket for a hundred bucks :rofl:

Jimmydr
06-16-2018, 09:08 AM
Hasn't happened yet in 44 years of flying commercial...:rolleyes:

You're just mad because they picked your pocket for a hundred bucks :rofl:

You been lucky, while Hunter has that look about him.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

MrHappy
06-16-2018, 11:22 AM

Not true for Miami. I've been in the TSA line more than once where they routed regular folks with us TSA folks. They tell us to make sure we show our TSA PRECHECK printed on my ticket.
They process the non TSA folks the same way as they do in the regular line. It gets a little aggravating to have to wait while 5-8 persons go through the regular routine.
Having said that, there's no doubt about the benefit.

minkyboodle
06-16-2018, 12:12 PM

I agree 100 percent. It's worth it for Miami alone ( for us poor souls with no direct flights that are easy)

greydread
06-16-2018, 01:31 PM
In basic training I showered with 35 other guys. How am I supposed to feel some kind of way about taking my shoes off at the airport? :rofl:

Much ado about nothing...

j_d66
06-16-2018, 06:37 PM
Not true for Miami. I've been in the TSA line more than once where they routed regular folks with us TSA folks. They tell us to make sure we show our TSA PRECHECK printed on my ticket.
They process the non TSA folks the same way as they do in the regular line. It gets a little aggravating to have to wait while 5-8 persons go through the regular routine.
Having said that, there's no doubt about the benefit.

Yes Miami is not real consistent especially at that security connection line. When they have workers standing right in front the doors that split you into the correct line going to the left it will be fast and efficient but I have been there many times when they just crowd everyone together. But you do at least get the benefits of pre check that the non pre-check customers don't get.

Last time I came through they had everyone going through one line and had the pre check line shut down because they brought in a dog to sniff every piece of carry on luggage.
Funny cause there was one guy in line that was real nervous about walking past that dog for some reason :rofl:

Miami processes through alot of passengers with many of them being connections and they do suffer from great inefficiency from time to time

I would much rather spend my time relaxing in a chair somewhere in the airport knowing that I have safely made my connection as opposed to a line but to each their own. Way more eye candy walking through out the airport than any congested line and MIA has some of the best looking women walking around.

Hunter
05-02-2019, 06:41 PM
FYI - For you global entry guys....renewal sneaks up on you. I filled out the form a few weeks ago. Paid my 100 bucks....SWEET - Chase reserve refunds that. nice....one more perk for the chase reserve...my favorite card.

Anyway...my application is STILL pending. They say on site they are backed up because of shutdown..WTF....I did fill the form out wrong having a few wines in me and put countries in there I have been to since 2004 instead of 2014...ughh....might have to go for interview to explain that fuckup.....

So renew early....you can renew year out. I renewed 11 months out. One of these days I will hopefully get approved..

Kevy
05-02-2019, 06:44 PM
FYI - For you global entry guys....renewal sneaks up on you. I filled out the form a few weeks ago. Paid my 100 bucks....SWEET - Chase reserve refunds that. nice....one more perk for the chase reserve...my favorite card.

Anyway...my application is STILL pending. They say on site they are backed up because of shutdown..WTF....I did fill the form out wrong having a few wines in me and put countries in there I have been to since 2004 instead of 2014...ughh....might have to go for interview to explain that fuckup.....

So renew early....you can renew year out. I renewed 11 months out. One of these days I will hopefully get approved..

I re appilied n December, mine expired February, BUT THey give you an extra 6 months after expiration, at least for the canada side. Was renewed without interview in March. Yeah the shutdown, really screwed things up. BTW only $50 for canadians.

j_d66
05-02-2019, 07:48 PM

When I did my renewal last year I had to back for another interview but was able to do it in Dallas on my way back from a trip.

You did it right in the normal immigration but the ran you through a separate line.

Took new fingerprints there and they actually processed everything right there and I got the email that it had been approved before I got home. The new card came in the mail a few days later.

easy peazy

Hunter
05-02-2019, 08:06 PM
When I did my renewal last year I had to back for another interview but was able to do it in Dallas on my way back from a trip.

You did it right in the normal immigration but the ran you through a separate line.

Took new fingerprints there and they actually processed everything right there and I got the email that it had been approved before I got home. The new card came in the mail a few days later.

easy peazy

so you are on your second term with global entry....you beat me....nice...

j_d66
05-02-2019, 08:10 PM
Yes Miami is not real consistent especially at that security connection line. When they have workers standing right in front the doors that split you into the correct line going to the left it will be fast and efficient but I have been there many times when they just crowd everyone together. But you do at least get the benefits of pre check that the non pre-check customers don't get.

Last time I came through they had everyone going through one line and had the pre check line shut down because they brought in a dog to sniff every piece of carry on luggage.
Funny cause there was one guy in line that was real nervous about walking past that dog for some reason :rofl:

Miami processes through alot of passengers with many of them being connections and they do suffer from great inefficiency from time to time

I would much rather spend my time relaxing in a chair somewhere in the airport knowing that I have safely made my connection as opposed to a line but to each their own. Way more eye candy walking through out the airport than any congested line and MIA has some of the best looking women walking around.

So yesterday I was coming back into Miami.

Global entry was a breeze and was in an out in 2 minutes

The other kiosks weren't busy but the line after that was pretty big.

Anyway after I come out and head back through security I remember the other TSA precheck at checkpoint 2 but you have to go back into the regular check in area to get there which is not to easy as they had the doors to that area shut off so I ask the ever so "friendly" Latin lady standing there how I get to through there so I can get to that area.

She points to an area but it doesn't seem like it will take me to the right place because it takes me downstairs and I don't want to be down stairs so I politely ask her where that will take me as I want to end up in the check in area

Her response was "well why don't you take it and find out where it goes" :confused: :confused: :confused:

So I just shake my head and head towards the main check in which is not the most efficient TSA precheck there and the line as expected was huge so I ask the lady standing there how to get to the other TSA pre-check line and she says this is the only one.

I look at her puzzled and say oh the last time I was here the service attendant directed told me there was another TSA precheck at checkpoint 2 and she had me take the crew exit to get there. Are you saying there is no other TSA Pre-Check in the Airport?

Her response was "No this is the only one and your going to have to use this one and wait"

I know this fucking cunt is lying to my face but continue into the line.

And it is going no where. Plus from where I am at I know I am looking at 30-45 min wait even for precheck because they essentially route all passengers through the same line you just don't have to take off your shoes or remove stuff from your luggage.

I couldn't exactly remember the crew exit but saw some airline crew walking through so finally decided that waiting in this line was not the best choice so ducked under the ropes and decided to chance it.

It's not very well marked but you basically you follow it to the customer service area and duck right through some doors to the right and head through a back door hallway through another set of doors and boom I am right in the area i want to be.

It's a short walk to checkpoint 2 which also happens to be the entrance for the crew but low and behold there in fact is another entrance for tsa precheck people only.

Amazing how either these workers are so uninformed or they will flat out lie to your face.

A short 5 minute wait and I was through and on my way.

MrHappy
05-02-2019, 08:11 PM

I did mine last year as well.

I did it on line. Filled out the app, paid the fee, and a few days later got an email saying I was good to go.

Still a no brainer for me, and I barely travel.

j_d66
05-02-2019, 08:13 PM

Yep.

I came through Newark once and it was miserable.

I decided I would never experience that crap ever again

I have no regrets and Global entry along with precheck is well worth it.

Even better for you when your credit card pays for it.

I know that without Global entry and Pre-check I would not have made my connection yesterday.

I know there are other options below Global entry that are free but nothing beats TSA pre check and the limited questioning you get with global entry

j_d66
05-02-2019, 08:33 PM
I did mine last year as well.

I did it on line. Filled out the app, paid the fee, and a few days later got an email saying I was good to go.

Still a no brainer for me, and I barely travel.

Did you have to go to an interview your 2nd time around?

Hunter
05-02-2019, 08:35 PM
We are lucky here in tri state area and not have to go through miami to dr carribean.....direct is sweet....But does add hour to my drive..though last time through miami wasnt bad for me...got a free meal with my reserve card...its either wait in miami for 3-4 hours or add another hour drive for me....kinda same pain....you midwest guys are fucked either way :wink:

j_d66
05-02-2019, 08:40 PM
We are lucky here in tri state area and not have to go through miami to dr carribean.....direct is sweet....But does add hour to my drive..though last time through miami wasnt bad for me...got a free meal with my reserve card...its either wait in miami for 3-4 hours or add another hour drive for me....kinda same pain....you midwest guys are fucked either way :wink:

For me it's either connect in Miami or Charlotte

problem is that Charlotte trip out of POP doesn't happen daily

I find I rarely have in issue when coming into MIA and than heading to the DR it's coming back that they are so terribly in-efficient

I do have to admit i am getting sick of flying back into Miami

Charlotte immigration is not to bad and neither is Dallas

Kevy
05-02-2019, 09:21 PM
Yep.

I came through Newark once and it was miserable.

I decided I would never experience that crap ever again

I have no regrets and Global entry along with precheck is well worth it.

Even better for you when your credit card pays for it.

I know that without Global entry and Pre-check I would not have made my connection yesterday.

I know there are other options below Global entry that are free but nothing beats TSA pre check and the limited questioning you get with global entry

Newark is a nightmare, they have lots of global entry machines but they are hidden behing each other and the idiots at the front of the line waited for te front 4 machines to become available. When I got closer to the front me and anotehr guy walked around them and went through quickly. Being a nice guy, I waved to the idiots to step up and use those machines.

I had cathay pacific boarding cards that did not have TSa pre on them and had to wait in another line for security. 4 people "working" there and incredibly slow.

Westy
05-02-2019, 09:49 PM
Newark is a nightmare, they have lots of global entry machines but they are hidden behing each other and the idiots at the front of the line waited for te front 4 machines to become available. When I got closer to the front me and anotehr guy walked around them and went through quickly. Being a nice guy, I waved to the idiots to step up and use those machines.

I had cathay pacific boarding cards that did not have TSa pre on them and had to wait in another line for security. 4 people "working" there and incredibly slow.

I had the same problem in March, in JFK. Next time I'm faced with it, I'm going to stop at the AA counter, show my Global Entry card, and ask for a fresh TSA-Precheck boarding pass.

j_d66
05-02-2019, 11:50 PM

I had the same problem in March, in JFK. Next time I'm faced with it, I'm going to stop at the AA counter, show my Global Entry card, and ask for a fresh TSA-Precheck boarding pass.

You guys need to enter your global entry info into your account on the Cathay Pacific website and than your TSA pre-check info will show up on your boarding cards for the flights in the USA.

Kevy
05-03-2019, 03:10 AM
You guys need to enter your global entry info into your account on the Cathay Pacific website and than your TSA pre-check info will show up on your boarding cards for the flights in the USA.

Don't have an account and was the only time I flew with them in 5 years, was booked with them at the last minute

Westy
05-03-2019, 08:59 AM
I've just created a registered account with Cathay Pacific, and I don't see any place to add Global Entry to my profile ... just "Other."

Jimmydr
05-03-2019, 09:00 AM
I've just created a registered account with Cathay Pacific, and I don't see any place to add Global Entry to my profile ... just "Other."

The best airline out there.

j_d66
05-03-2019, 11:40 AM

When you login click on your name

than profile information

down under the travel documents you want your passport information in there

Then add another one and select OTHER as they don't have the global entry listed

Then add the info in there and you should be good to go.

Cathay Pacific has only been involved in TSA pre-check since Nov 1 2017

I always carry my Global entry card with me as well when I travel so that should get you into the Pre check line as well

j_d66
05-03-2019, 11:50 AM
The best airline out there.

I am pretty happy with them as well. They just gave me a free upgrade to Business/First class for a BKK-HKG leg that I have coming up.

Which is going to be real nice since my flight leaves at 6:30 am and I will want to do is get a good sleep in on that first leg anyway.

And the coolest part about that is I will get 10% more EQD's

Jimmydr
05-03-2019, 01:07 PM
I am pretty happy with them as well. They just gave me a free upgrade to Business/First class for a BKK-HKG leg that I have coming up.

Which is going to be real nice since my flight leaves at 6:30 am and I will want to do is get a good sleep in on that first leg anyway.

And the coolest part about that is I will get 10% more EQD's

You will love the attention in first class

psriches
05-13-2019, 07:48 PM
The best airline out there.I used to say Cathay was the best also. But I now have them 3rd, behind Korean Air and EVA.