PDA

View Full Version : Los Charamicos Cockfighting

questner
06-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Each Saturday from 3pm till dusk one can indulge in the gory passion of the republic only steps from the beach at Los Charamicos Cockfighting arena.:fight:

el toro
06-18-2012, 02:59 PM
I meant to go check it out last Sosua trip just to see something else the locals do.

Sidney
06-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Each Saturday from 3pm till dusk one can indulge in the gory passion of the republic only steps from the beach at Los Charamicos Cockfighting arena.:fight:

Can you give us directions?

BrooklynBeas
06-18-2012, 05:09 PM
If its not playing dominos on the beach, riding a motoconcho, or drinking rum or a presidente grande, Dominicans love fighting their cocks...

Years ago, one of my friends decided to bet on "cock fighting" on one of our trips..., his cock sucked and he lost his money in seconds...

There's a joke in here somewhere...

questner
06-18-2012, 10:09 PM
If its not playing dominos on the beach, riding a motoconcho, or drinking rum or a presidente grande, Dominicans love fighting their cocks...

Years ago, one of my friends decided to bet on "cock fighting" on one of our trips..., his cock sucked and he lost his money in seconds...

:rofl:

The arena is on Calle Morris Ling. However the best way is to take a concho from Los Charamicos entrance to the beach.

It takes one to one and a half hour to match roosters in 8 pairs. The organizers take pre-game bets in cash. You can buy lottery tickets for the event and bet later during the matches.

There is usually pizza, beer, sugar cane available to kill the waiting time. Some fine ladies usually appear to cheer up 'the cocks'.

Some cocks live on the premises - sort of MP for the cocks. They live in the cages and die on the arena. The losers end their life in soup.

Cock owners or their seconds weight the cocks before the matches to see if their weight is equal and likely how much water they drank before the match. Then they decide if to accept the challenge or not.

The arena has got 4 rows and the tickets start at about 200 peso.

getrhythm
06-18-2012, 10:34 PM

In fact, most of the ones in Los Charamicos got nothing on some of the cockfights I've witnessed in Classicos on certain nights...:smile:

Crytonb99
06-19-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm a big fan of cockfighting. I don't like the fact however that they fight the roosters with the underneath feathers as well as with the comb and gill. Also I notice they use natural spurs. Here we take off the comb and gill as well as trim the feathers underneath and replace the natural spurs with artificial spurs.

questner
06-19-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm a big fan of cockfighting. I don't like the fact however that they fight the roosters with the underneath feathers as well as with the comb and gill. Also I notice they use natural spurs. Here we take off the comb and gill as well as trim the feathers underneath and replace the natural spurs with artificial spurs.

You can see the spurs on those photos.

Emotions are high. It is loud, bloody, relentless.

sopranostingray
06-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Disgusting and primitive. Making animals fights for your enjoyment....is life that boring?

uncle ruckus
06-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Disgusting and primitive. Making animals fights for your enjoyment....is life that boring?

I had this philosophical discussion with a well known rooster breeder in Santiago. This guy has a farm dedicated to breeding fighting roosters. People come from all over Latin America to buy his roosters or breed with his chickens. According to him, cockfighting is not as gruesome as outsiders make it seem, mainly because what the roosters are doing is in their nature. The breeds of roosters used in cockfighting are roosters that if they weren't killing each other inside the ring, they would be killing each other outside in the real world. Instead of having this ultra-violent breed of rooster out in the regular world killing non-violent roosters, chickens, and any other animal it finds, they prefer to just have them fight each other.

I've been to cockfights. It gets exciting while you're in that stadium and you see all the action, not just the fighting chickens, but all the betting going on and the highs and lows of the gamblers as they're winning/losing. It's an interesting experiment in a lot of the worst aspects of humanity (violence, greed, etc.).

questner
06-20-2012, 08:51 AM

How this differs from fucking, my friend?