PDA

View Full Version : The Russians are coming The Russians are comming

Mags
02-27-2007, 06:00 PM
27 Februari 2007

Russians vitalise Sosúa

A group of Russian businessmen is investing 1500 million pesos in various construction projects in Sosúa: villas, apartments and new hotels. The Mayor of Sosúa, Vladimir Céspedes, is very pleased to see these new investors in town. The group has bought a large piece of land (valued at 15 million dollars) from General Antonio Imbert Barrera, where they are building the project known as 'Sosúa Ocean Village'. This will consist of luxury villas, apartments, an hotel, a club house and a boulevard that meets up with the main road from Sosúa to Cabarete. Legendary residents such as Joe Benjamin and Leopoldo Belga have also sold pieces of land to the Russians. Several entrepreneurs have told Sosúa-News that they welcome these new residents and investors. According to Wolfgang Schoenner of the Schnitzel Paradise, these are serious business people who will revitalise Sosúa. The Mayor says that all the land had been advertised previously as being for sale, but nobody was buying until the Russians arrived.
The price of land has now risen from 30 USD to 100 USD per square metre.
Now there are lots of buyers and building land has become scarce.

Source: El Faro

MisterPink
02-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks Mr_DR!

psriches
02-27-2007, 06:10 PM
these are serious business people who will revitalise Sosúa.How about some schools and a hospital??

Phoenix
02-27-2007, 08:42 PM
How about some schools and a hospital??

Those are not big money makers and there would not be as many tourists to pinch pesos from.

Citynights
02-27-2007, 09:53 PM
russian business men..... can we say crime bosses..if you have money in this country you did it the old fashion way you stole it...

Jimmydr
02-28-2007, 07:35 AM

Its not our job to build them. We pay the required taxes on our business' and its the job of government to get them built.

weyland
02-28-2007, 08:46 AM
russian business men..... can we say crime bosses..if you have money in this country you did it the old fashion way you stole it...
Of course there are very rich mafia guys in Russia, and of course the lines between crime and business are even more blurred than they are in the US or UK, but most of the super rich guys in Russia (I mean $billions) made their money "legally" when Soviet state enterprises were sold off for peanuts on the free market, notably, but not only, oil enterprises. Now Putin is trying to claw some of these assets back to government control so these guys are happy to put their money even into schemes that will lose money for the forseeable future rather than get caught holding it.

When I was in Riga I was amazed at the number of classy new shops and department stores crammed full of top quality goods at UK or higher prices. You could typically be on the clothes floor, or the white goods floor, with a great selection of stock and numerous smart and multilingual assistants, and never see anyone make a sale all morning because the Latvian wages are only 25% of US or UK levels, so no-one could afford to buy. It only made sense when my Latvian business friend explained that the process was funded by cash flooding in from Russia, not electronically, but in boats and trucks full of bills.

thunderstar
02-28-2007, 08:55 AM
NOTE TO ANY RUSSIANS ON THE BOARD :

If you feel it necessary to operate a small hotel in the beautifull Dominican Republic I have some contacts with regards to guys wanting to stay there and a way to process some funds back to the mother land.

I of course would be willing to help you out and manage the place for you.......

weyland
02-28-2007, 09:07 AM
NOTE TO ANY RUSSIANS ON THE BOARD :

If you feel it necessary to operate a small hotel in the beautiful Dominican Republic I have some contacts with regards to guys wanting to stay there and a way to process some funds back to the motherland.

I of course would be willing to help you out and manage the place for you.......
Forget the small hotel! You were born to run a night-club. It's what you do!
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showpost.php?p=287773&postcount=2

thunderstar
02-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Well you once said you could scrape together enough money to pay for pillow cases, I could probably afford to furnish the place and set it up, but I cant afford to BUY a place.

I have some options open that I am working on - but dont think High Caribee will happen.

WOuld love to do it though - I think it could be brought back to its hey day.......

What I do know is that I need to leave the company im working for as soon as possible. Its not a great place to be right now.

Hemp
02-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Sosua is going to be ghost of mongers past soon!!!

a real monger anyway...

weyland
02-28-2007, 11:21 AM
What I do know is that I need to leave the company im working for as soon as possible. Its not a great place to be right now.
I warned you not to try that scam with the condemned turkeys!

SJG
02-28-2007, 11:22 AM
If Russian Mafia money is funding development of Sosua, I wonder how long it will take them to infiltrate and take over the chica trade? Not to mention the increasing drug trade. How long will it be until they use stong arm tactics and bribery to open up their own places and muscle out the existing businesses like Passions? The prices will continue to go up as they try and squeeze what they can out of the sex trade. I think it will be interesting to watch what really develops from this. Maybe nothing, but I doubt it. I can't see them putting 1.5 Billion Pesos into the place and not expecting to squeeze out many times that in return.

On the other hand, this could be an attempt to launder money into legitimate income. But it's so lawless in Russia, why bother?

Beads
02-28-2007, 11:33 AM
If Russian Mafia money is funding development of Sosua, I wonder how long it will take them to infiltrate and take over the chica trade? Not to mention the increasing drug trade. How long will it be until they use stong arm tactics and bribery to open up their own places and muscle out the existing businesses like Passions? The prices will continue to go up as they try and squeeze what they can out of the sex trade. I think it will be interesting to watch what really develops from this. Maybe nothing, but I doubt it. I can't see them putting 1.5 Billion Pesos into the place and not expecting to squeeze out many times that in return.

On the other hand, this could be an attempt to launder money into legitimate income. But it's so lawless in Russia, why bother?

Quite possibly they could just be building a massive resort/time share property. If they think they will be selling it to russian vacationers they might have to rethink their business model a bit. The flight is like 14 hrs from Russia to the DR isnt it?

Just like some people come to the DR and spend around $1 million and fold up a failing business doesnt mean a group of people cant spend $15 million and lose their shirts also.

Well just have to wait and see.

Hemp
02-28-2007, 11:33 AM

all great points...and i thought of the same things!!! which is why i said sosua will be a ghost of its former self soon...if this plan moves forward its only a matter of time!!!

SJG
02-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Quite possibly they could just be building a massive resort/time share property. If they think they will be selling it to russian vacationers they might have to rethink their business model a bit. The flight is like 14 hrs from Russia to the DR isnt it?

Just like some people come to the DR and spend around $1 million and fold up a failing business doesnt mean a group of people cant spend $15 million and lose their shirts also.

Well just have to wait and see.

Unless it was a typo, the source cited 1500 million pesos, or actually 1.5 billion pesos, close to $50 million US! :eek:

Beads
02-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Unless it was a typo, the source cited 1500 million pesos, or actually 1.5 billion pesos, close to $50 million US! :eek:

your correct. I read someplace they spent 15million on just one parcel of land.

MisterPink
02-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Wanna know a little secret?

Not all Russians are laundering cash and taking over prostitution in another country. Did you ever think they could possibly be quasi-legitimate Real Estate investors? So before you get your balls in a ringer, I doubt Classicos is shutting down just yet and turning into a VIP Russian Whorehouse!

mp

Hemp
02-28-2007, 11:53 AM
whether there straight up or not...the more "developed" sosua gets the more the economy there will get expensive.

MisterPink
02-28-2007, 11:57 AM
It's a very large Country my friend!
Have you been to Bonao or Moca?
None of the girls are PROS, and they love the Gringo that Speakie Spanie.

mp

SJG
02-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Wanna know a little secret?

Not all Russians are laundering cash and taking over prostitution in another country. Did you ever think they could possibly be quasi-legitimate Real Estate investors? So before you get your balls in a ringer, I doubt Classicos is shutting down just yet and turning into a VIP Russian Whorehouse!

mp

Either way, you dump $50 million USD in a small town in a third world country and massive changes in the power structure and local economy happen. Perhaps they won't take over the sex trade. If they are really developing family resort destinations, they may decide to ELIMINATE the sex trade with a $50 million investment at stake. And with that kind of money to throw around, the locals will fall over themselves to comply.

MisterPink
02-28-2007, 11:58 AM
The SEX trade will move elsewhere, it will NEVER be eliminated.

mp

SJG
02-28-2007, 12:05 PM
The SEX trade will move elsewhere, it will NEVER be eliminated.

mp

That's the whole point of the thread. We like Sosua and all that money being dumped there is going to change it, most likely not for the better (as far as mongering is concerned) and we will probably need to move on to greener pastures.

I'm just wondering how soon the effects will begin to show. Already I am hearing of chicas in POP and Sosua asking outragious prices (4200 pesos in Remyman's report). Probably unrelated to this new development.

I'm also wondering if the new Passport requirements have had any effect on mongering specifically and tourism in the DR in general.

Hemp
02-28-2007, 12:07 PM
That's the whole point of the thread. We like Sosua and all that money being dumped there is going to change it, most likely not for the better (as far as mongering is concerned) and we will probably need to move on to greener pastures.

I'm just wondering how soon the effects will begin to show. Already I am hearing of chicas in POP and Sosua asking outragious prices (4200 pesos in Remyman's report). Probably unrelated to this new development.

I'm also wondering if the new Passport requirements have had any effect on mongering specifically and tourism in the DR in general.

you only know a tip of the iceberg of asking prices!!! what guys are actually offering these ho's :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

and yes...passport req. are driving them to get desperate down there!!! tourist have dried up.

SJG
02-28-2007, 12:12 PM
you only know a tip of the iceberg of asking prices!!! what guys are actually offering these ho's :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

and yes...passport req. are driving them to get desperate down there!!! tourist have dried up.

You'd think that would drive prices in the opposite direction as competition for clients increases. There is probably still a large contingent of European tourists, as they are unaffected by our passport regs, but they tend to be a lesser percentage of hardcore mongers (like Americans and Canadians) and a larger percentage on family vacationers.

I'll have to see first hand in April. Good thing we have the cousins lined up. Thats some garunteed action at set prices....

weyland
02-28-2007, 12:20 PM

I know this is the DR we are talking about, but even so your post seems self-contradictory. If the clientele is shrinking they would be forced to lower prices, however much they want to ask for more to make up the difference.

If the Russians or anyone else develop the area so that a few thousand more Dominicans can have proper jobs and hopefully better lives, I think inconveniencing us horny bastards is a small price to pay.

I am only mad I am stuck in the UK at present while there is a downturn in US visitors. Sounds like heaven! Any chance of the US government thinking up further obstacles to travel? Obligatory HIV testing? Ability to spell words with more than four letters? Ability to explain the offside law in soccer (no, wait a bit, that would thin out 80% of my European brothers as well).

Kevy
02-28-2007, 12:24 PM
You are angry Weyland, but I understand being stuck in repressed England will do that. :D

As for the rest of these guys. You need to get out more, but all stuck on Sosua like this is just sad. There is a whole world out there with lots of putas. and don't get hung up on this project there are many failed investments in the DR.:rofl:

Hemp
02-28-2007, 12:25 PM
I know this is the DR we are talking about, but even so your post seems self-contradictory. If the clientele is shrinking they would be forced to lower prices, however much they want to ask for more to make up the difference.

If the Russians or anyone else develop the area so that a few thousand more Dominicans can have proper jobs and hopefully better lives, I think inconveniencing us horny bastards is a small price to pay.

I am only mad I am stuck in the UK at present while there is a downturn in US visitors. Sounds like heaven! Any chance of the US government thinking up further obstacles to travel? Obligatory HIV testing? Ability to spell words with more than four letters? Ability to explain the offside law in soccer (no, wait a bit, that would thin out 80% of my European brothers as well).

What :confused:

anyway...SJG: man...keep a close eye and ear on the current chica economy...i will also see for myself in June.

Hemp
02-28-2007, 12:27 PM
You are angry Weyland, but I understand being stuck in repressed England will do that. :D

As for the rest of these guys. You need to get out more, but all stuck on Sosua like this is just sad. There is a whole world out there with lots of putas. and don't get hung up on this project there are many failed investments in the DR.:rofl:

this was once said about Jamaica, mexico, puerto rico also...and look what happened.
if it will happen in sosua it will happen all over...word of mouth is still the most powerful form of advertising

Kevy
02-28-2007, 12:31 PM
this was once said about Jamaica, mexico, puerto rico also...and look what happened.
if it will happen in sosua it will happen all over...word of mouth is still the most powerful form of advertising
It already is happening in Sosua, I could see the changes in the 2 years going there. More weekend warriors overpaying. Just like the other places, (you should include Costa Rica in that list) you move on and find new territory.

weyland
02-28-2007, 01:05 PM
passport req. are driving them to get desperate down there!!! tourist have dried up.
For Americans to whinge about having to have a passport is pathetic. I had to renew mine yesterday. It took me ten minutes and the cost works out at just over £0.01 per day for the next fifteen years (after which time I hope I won't need to worry). I suspect it is even cheaper for Americans in relative terms. No-one likes having to spend money or fill up forms but this is for the most valuable document (with the possible exception of a birth certificate) I will ever need. Anyone who is too tight to pay that or too lazy to do the necessary deserves to be stranded on their dirt-farm in Arkansas or wherever because they sure aren't responsible world citizens.

Now where I have got a beef is needing to show a passport to travel within the EU. We have assholes like Thatcher and Blair to thank for that nonsense. If you Americans needed passports to move between states then you would have grounds for complaining, so I have to admit you show us up badly there.

SJG
02-28-2007, 01:30 PM
For Americans to whinge about having to have a passport is pathetic. I had to renew mine yesterday. It took me ten minutes and the cost works out at just over £0.01 per day for the next fifteen years (after which time I hope I won't need to worry). I suspect it is even cheaper for Americans in relative terms. No-one likes having to spend money or fill up forms but this is for the most valuable document (with the possible exception of a birth certificate) I will ever need. Anyone who is too tight to pay that or too lazy to do the necessary deserves to be stranded on their dirt-farm in Arkansas or wherever because they sure aren't responsible world citizens.

Now where I have got a beef is needing to show a passport to travel within the EU. We have assholes like Thatcher and Blair to thank for that nonsense. If you Americans needed passports to move between states then you would have grounds for complaining, so I have to admit you show us up badly there.

I personally have no problem with the passport and had it before I ever went to the DR or even exited the US at all. However, US citizens are used to having the free run of the entire North American continent and surrounding islands with no more then their driver's license. Also, we hate government regulation and it is out patriotic duty to bitch about any little inconvenience. :D

I agree with you about pissy thing with EU citizens needing a passport to travel through EU countries, but that is the world we live in now.

And shut up about needing a passport to travel between states, you might give our government some ideas.... ;)

psriches
02-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Its not our job to build them. We pay the required taxes on our business' and its the job of government to get them built.
That's not the point. The title was, "russians vitalize sosua".............