PDA

View Full Version : Buying essentials etc

j_d66
06-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Is there anything like shampoo, deodorant, cologne, sunscreen, bath towels etc that I am better off bringing from the US rather than buying in Sosua. I am assuming I can pretty much buy the essentials here without breaking the bank.

Also I don't know much if any spanish and am going to rely and an disabled iphone app to translate for me.

I was thinking about getting a prepaid phone and some minutes in Sosua but I am wondering if a phone is essential for someone like me that doesnt have a very good command of the spanish language. I am figuring there will be plenty of chica opportunities to hookup without a phone but am looking for some insight if my thought process is not correct.

Chief Papi Lindo
06-22-2012, 02:02 AM
Is there anything like shampoo, deodorant, cologne, sunscreen, bath towels etc that I am better off bringing from the US rather than buying in Sosua. I am assuming I can pretty much buy the essentials here without breaking the bank.

Also I don't know much if any spanish and am going to rely and an disabled iphone app to translate for me.

I was thinking about getting a prepaid phone and some minutes in Sosua but I am wondering if a phone is essential for someone like me that doesnt have a very good command of the spanish language. I am figuring there will be plenty of chica opportunities to hookup without a phone but am looking for some insight if my thought process is not correct.

my bags are always over the 50lbs limit, so i usually buy my soap and shyt like that when i get to the d.r...if you can get a decent unlocked phone just for the d.r. that would be wise bc some chicas you just might want to keep their info for future use. if i were you, i would prob get a phone with a keyboard, so you can easily text. .....some of the nokia phones you can text from your computer thru the phone with OVI (nokia software).....if you plan to make a lot of trips, get a decent phone...used blackberry or whatever..your everyday phone, you may want to lock it in the safe, unless your kids or job will be calling you..

i recommend getting a used blackberry and activating the bbm....i get mucho HOT pix daily thru bbm

tarzan
06-22-2012, 09:13 AM
The only thing you should bring is Condoms, everything else is available there. I recomend you go through this
thread of where everything is, it's better then any map.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?134831-09-2008-Finding-Your-Way-Around-Sosua

davemaryland
06-22-2012, 10:02 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=z1zxmhfbn3f&thumb=5

Here is a map of Sosua. The Super Playero # 11 will have all your essentials. They will exchange dollars too, at a good rate. I take down a recycle bag. It's better than all those plastic bags.

Take down a unlocked phone. Get a chip and minutes. I use Claro with Jibbigo translate app. Then you can text the chicas. Copy & paste.

el toro
06-22-2012, 10:38 AM
I bring all my own shit because not all preferred brands of products are always available away from home. Plus it's probably less expensive to just hit Target or Walmart and get the sample sizes of everything for $1.

j_d66
06-22-2012, 12:07 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=z1zxmhfbn3f&thumb=5

Here is a map of Sosua. The Super Playero # 11 will have all your essentials. They will exchange dollars too, at a good rate. I take down a recycle bag. It's better than all those plastic bags.

Take down a unlocked phone. Get a chip and minutes. I use Claro with Jibbigo translate app. Then you can text the chicas. Copy & paste.

Thanks for the advice i have an old iphone that i guess i should try to figure out how to unlock.
The Jibbigo app looks like the ticket as well as it appears that it does not need to be connected all the time
I have a moto Q as well but figure its to old plus i dont really remember how to use it since i have been an iphone user for awhile

mrblackluv
06-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Only thing I bring that I must have and can't easily be found are wash cloths (face towels).

I bring my own towel, only if I have enough room.
I bring my own soap..but it's not necessary.

You can easily buy just about anything else.

TNT72
06-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the advice i have an old iphone that i guess i should try to figure out how to unlock.
The Jibbigo app looks like the ticket as well as it appears that it does not need to be connected all the time
I have a moto Q as well but figure its to old plus i dont really remember how to use it since i have been an iphone user for awhile

They unlock phones down there. I don't remember how much the guy charged Robert.

If there is a certain product you HAVE to have, take it. Otherwise, you can buy all the essentials there. I usually just throw my regular stuff in a freezer bag or two so it doesn't leak. I use to buy all separate travel sizes, but they usually ran out before the trip was over. Showering 3 to 5 times a day goes through quite a bit of product.

BrooklynBeas
06-22-2012, 08:25 PM
I bring most of the stuff I know I cant substitute with something else... I may not find the soap I like, but can find an easy replacement... I brought my own hair gel, cause I knew they wouldnt have the one I use in DR... Last trip I forgot to bring baby powder and tried to buy it at the local store but didnt know the name for powder... I tried to explain it in spanish but that didnt work out too well... In spanish, I tried to say something that is used for babies, its white, they showed me cream, I couldnt get what I wanted, and without thinking I said it looks like cocaine... that didnt go over too well as you can imagine! lol... No really, it was not cool the way they looked at me but I couldn't think of anything else... I wound up walking to the big Playero and just found it in the aisle with the rest of the baby products lol.. I felt so bad how I tried to explain it that I went back to the store that didn't have it, just to show them what I wanted to buy... They started cracking up laughing... I now know and will never forget, the name for powder is TALCO... (as in talcum powder)

rahsta
06-22-2012, 10:03 PM

Bring all your own essentails. For all your liquid essentail you can buy 3oz empty bottles from the 99¢ store or Major Pharmacy like Duane Reade. You can pour all your liquid things in the bottles. Third world country means third world products in most cases.

el toro
06-22-2012, 11:23 PM
The one thing they don't sell in a lot of stores here or anywhere else is the shaving oil that I use when I must shave my dome in the pool. It took me a few years of painful shaving before I found out about the product.

eldorob
06-23-2012, 07:32 AM
The one thing they don't sell in a lot of stores here or anywhere else is the shaving oil that I use when I must shave my dome in the pool. It took me a few years of painful shaving before I found out about the product.

Did you just say you "shave in the pool"?

rahsta
06-23-2012, 07:51 AM

I was just thinking the same thing.

Apos
06-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Unless there are specific products that you just have to have then why bother with the hassle of bringing your own. Support the local economy, try different things and travel fast and light!

I used to bring all my own shit until I forgot shave gel or shampoo and then I realized that I was not that fussy and could get decent stuff here. Since then I just take carry-on bags, fly thru customs and don't have to wait for checked bags.

For me it's the only way to go! :iconTU:

el toro
06-23-2012, 10:10 AM

Just the one time. El Caucho was having water issues one day.

greydread
06-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Unless there are specific products that you just have to have then why bother with the hassle of bringing your own. Support the local economy, try different things and travel fast and light!

I used to bring all my own shit until I forgot shave gel or shampoo and then I realized that I was not that fussy and could get decent stuff here. Since then I just take carry-on bags, fly thru customs and don't have to wait for checked bags.

For me it's the only way to go! :iconTU:

I couldn't agree more. I bring my own bar soaps (African shea butter and tea tree and lemon oil) and I bring a 3 oz. tube of tea tree oil, lock & twist, facecloths (impossible to find decent ones there) and the usual OTC medi's (Immodium, Prilosec, Benadryl, etc.). Everything else I buy there and prices are comparable if not cheaper.

I was on a trip to Aruba and tried "Miel y Leche" shampoo because I forgot to bring mine and I like the smell of it. I love that stuff now and I was looking all over for it in the States when I returned. Only when I went to the DR and found it in quart size did I realize that they make it there. Now it's on the list of shit to buy for the trip HOME.

tarrantino
06-23-2012, 10:53 PM
I don't know where you are staying or for how long. I always stay for a few weeks in a condo. The one thing that I have learned to bring from home is a good set of fitted sheet. The sheets that were supplied, even in a decent condo, really suck. By the end of a good romp, the sheets would be wadded up or on the floor. I was almost ready to buy a place just so I could furnish it myself. A decent towel from home is a good idea also.

Mr. Smooth
06-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Just the one time. El Caucho was having water issues one day.

I guess you should remember to bring your own water too! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You need some type of oil to shave your head? I figured you just take a handful of Gillette Foamy shaving creme or shaving gel and rub that stuff all over to git er done.

GREEKFREAK
06-24-2012, 02:52 AM
The only thing you should bring is Condoms, everything else is available there. I recomend you go through this
thread of where everything is, it's better then any map.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?134831-09-2008-Finding-Your-Way-Around-Sosua

i saw american condom brands @ he pharmacy so even that can be bought out there..not sure of the prices dough

dr1lvr
06-24-2012, 06:30 PM

Shampoo, deodorant, cologne and sunscreen are advised to bring from you home (US?). Think about going on a trip even to the next city over, wouldn't you prefer your own shit? Good Idea is to invest in a toiletries bag. I bought one 10+ years ago and I'm still finding it invaluable.

http://www.amazon.com/Ensign-Toiletry-Travel-Shaving-Black/dp/B000IG6FC8/ref=sr_1_4?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1340579465&sr=1-4

Bringing an Iphone for a translator is too much trouble in my opinion. As long as the girl can read, and you can scribble numbers on a napkin or paper. You should be set... From my experience, very little real connection is made from two people, face to face, looking at a 5in cell phone screen to have a conversation. Better advice is to take the 4 words of spanish that you probably know and try to do your best to 'flirt' with a cutie who you'd like to spend time with.

.02 centavos

TNT72
06-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Shampoo, deodorant, cologne and sunscreen are advised to bring from you home (US?). Think about going on a trip even to the next city over, wouldn't you prefer your own shit? Good Idea is to invest in a toiletries bag. I bought one 10+ years ago and I'm still finding it invaluable.

http://www.amazon.com/Ensign-Toiletry-Travel-Shaving-Black/dp/B000IG6FC8/ref=sr_1_4?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1340579465&sr=1-4

Bringing an Iphone for a translator is too much trouble in my opinion. As long as the girl can read, and you can scribble numbers on a napkin or paper. You should be set... From my experience, very little real connection is made from two people, face to face, looking at a 5in cell phone screen to have a conversation. Better advice is to take the 4 words of spanish that you probably know and try to do your best to 'flirt' with a cutie who you'd like to spend time with.

.02 centavos

About 10 years ago, an ex-girlfriend bought me a leather toiletries bag. She was all excited about it, and I was like:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:. That was before I had made mostly car trips. Not many flights.

Now, I'm happy as hell about having that thing. I actually seen her last night for the first time in about 4 years. I brought the bag up, and finally said a meaningful thanks.

el toro
06-24-2012, 07:07 PM
About 10 years ago, an ex-girlfriend bought me a leather toiletries bag. She was all excited about it, and I was like:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:. That was before I had made mostly car trips. Not many flights.

Now, I'm happy as hell about having that thing. I actually seen her last night for the first time in about 4 years. I brought the bag up, and finally said a meaningful thanks.

I don't even use my toiletries bags anymore since I usually try to pack for carry-on. The best things I've found is the plastic zipper bags that they sell pillow cases or sheets in. They hold more than a ziploc and no problem with security at the airport.

Apos
06-24-2012, 07:29 PM
I guess there is no right way and everyone will have their own preference. I have a couple or 3 toiletries bags but when flying they're more hassle than they're worth IMO. On more local trips I use them all the time though.

When Flying I bring a toothbrush, travel sized toothpaste and razor and that's about it. Everything else I buy at the nearest store and leave it or give it away before I leave.

Couldn't be simpler or easier for me but to each their own :iconTU:

MrHappy
06-24-2012, 07:37 PM

.02 centavos

Brother, if you're gonna buy a toiletry bag, get one with a little style. I've had a Royce for over 20 years. They last forever!

http://www.amazon.com/Royce-Leather-Toiletry-Bag-Black/dp/B0009WH0DY/ref=sr_1_6?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1340583405&sr=1-6&keywords=toiletry+bag

bailar
06-24-2012, 07:55 PM
I like those leather kits but they are way to heavy for my carry-on. I have several of the fabric bags the material is flexible and can be stuffed so easily into my luggage. One for toiletry, one for electronics, one for condoms and lube,etc. Helps me stay organized and chica proof my room on the quick if I have to.

TNT72
06-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Brother, if you're gonna buy a toiletry bag, get one with a little style. I've had a Royce for over 20 years. They last forever!

http://www.amazon.com/Royce-Leather-Toiletry-Bag-Black/dp/B0009WH0DY/ref=sr_1_6?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1340583405&sr=1-6&keywords=toiletry+bag

Thats what she got me.

MrHappy
06-25-2012, 08:31 AM
I like those leather kits but they are way to heavy for my carry-on. I have several of the fabric bags the material is flexible and can be stuffed so easily into my luggage. One for toiletry, one for electronics, one for condoms and lube,etc. Helps me stay organized and chica proof my room on the quick if I have to.

Good point. If you're carrying lots of stuff, I can see where one would want to keep things separate. I usually don't carry that much stuff.

greydread
06-25-2012, 10:22 AM

True.

Many of us only buy Crown Royal to collect the bags. "Waste not. Want not" being the order of the day, of course we then have to drink the stuff but those little bags are the travellers best friend.

MrHappy
06-25-2012, 10:37 AM
True.

Many of us only buy Crown Royal to collect the bags. "Waste not. Want not" being the order of the day, of course we then have to drink the stuff but those little bags are the travellers best friend.

That's incredibly practical. Why didn't I think of that?

El-Rey
06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
I bring all my own essentials. What I will tell you is make sure you have three major things.

1- Immodium (Nothing like bad guts fucking up your trip)

2- Listerine (If you kiss or eat pussy this should be mandatory for you and ya chica)

3- Condoms (They seem to run out of American brand condoms fast at times. You dont want to use a DR rubber, its like a goodyear tire for ur dick)

MrHappy
06-25-2012, 11:58 AM
I bring all my own essentials. What I will tell you is make sure you have three major things.

1- Immodium (Nothing like bad guts fucking up your trip)

2- Listerine (If you kiss or eat pussy this should be mandatory for you and ya chica)

3- Condoms (They seem to run out of American brand condoms fast at times. You dont want to use a DR rubber, its like a goodyear tire for ur dick)

Immodium and Listerine are available at most drugstores.

Did you know that Listerine and Lemisol have virtually the same ingredients?

BorisDaBulletDodger
06-25-2012, 01:14 PM

I recall BrooklynBeas having a hard time finding Immodium in Sosua, but he might have confused the girl at the counter with 152 questions.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I recall him getting a local brand with a very similar sounding name but not the real stuff

Dr World
06-25-2012, 05:02 PM

can you gargle Lemisol???

eldorob
06-25-2012, 05:17 PM
can you gargle Lemisol???

Yes,any liquid can be gargled.

j_d66
06-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the tips.
I plan to carry on so nothing will delay me getting to the puta.
I already have my supply of condoms and immodium. My favorite cologne and as many of the 3oz liquids i can get into my quart ziplock. Everything else I will buy. Been planning this trip for over three years and just recently got in the position so I could make the trip happen so I am more than pumped.
Sun, sand, clear blue waters, libations and chicas. Sounds like a grand vaca to me.

Did my research and am ready for a good time. I have been to the carribbean many times so I know that drill. Chill out and enjoy the days as before you know it back to the reality of the USA.

TNT72
06-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the tips.
I plan to carry on so nothing will delay me getting to the puta.
I already have my supply of condoms and immodium. My favorite cologne and as many of the 3oz liquids i can get into my quart ziplock. Everything else I will buy. Been planning this trip for over three years and just recently got in the position so I could make the trip happen so I am more than pumped.
Sun, sand, clear blue waters, libations and chicas. Sounds like a grand vaca to me.

Did my research and am ready for a good time. I have been to the carribbean many times so I know that drill. Chill out and enjoy the days as before you know it back to the reality of the USA.

So, when are you heading to happyland?????

j_d66
06-25-2012, 09:13 PM
So, when are you heading to happyland?????

I will be landing Wed afternoon AA from Miami 6-27 through Monday 7-2
Staying at New Garden.

Jimmydr
06-25-2012, 09:19 PM

Details?

TNT72
06-25-2012, 09:23 PM
I will be landing Wed afternoon AA from Miami 6-27 through Monday 7-2
Staying at New Garden.

I'm sure you'll meet some members before I land. But your more than welcome to head on down to Rocky's on the 1st around 3:15-3:30ish.

j_d66
06-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Details?

Perhaps I should clarify. Research done on this board. I have been to many other carribbean destinations over the years but this is the first monger type trip. What I meant is there is a certain type of mentality that goes with nearly all of the islands in the carribbean that catches some off guard if you have never been there before. I understand the laid back attitude by most in the carribbean. I surmise from what I have read that the experience may be somewhat different from the more touristy islands but thats what I am looking for. The panhandlers and beggers etc dont bother me and lots of pretty ladies around wanting your attention and $ combined with dreamy carib weather, cold beer, sun, sand, cool breazes and hopefully all of the beautiful ladies I can handle. Sounds like the makings of a great vaca. Beats being back in the states working any day and chasing after the spoiled I dont feel like putting out michigan cunts.

j_d66
06-25-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm sure you'll meet some members before I land. But your more than welcome to head on down to Rocky's on the 1st around 3:15-3:30ish.

I will see you there. Hopefully unless some pretty chica has my attention

j_d66
07-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Update after being there

No problem obtaining pretty much whatever essentials you need
I did carry one and packed as much 3 oz liquids that I could get into my 1 qtr ziplock
Was able to buy anything else at the mini market at Pedro Clisante and Duarte.

Exchanging money at the bank was no problem and no issues with the Atm

Lapela or other similar type meds available at farmacia no problem and no script needed.

Brought 20 condoms from USA and it wasn't enough :lol: but could buy US brand condoms at farmacia no problem.

Brought unlocked old iphone and I am now the proud owner of a DR phone number through claro. I got some prepaid minutes.

No issues with food but I did not drink the water ( bottled water is super cheap) and did not eat salads. Only a little loose one day and immodium quickly cured that.

All else you can find out about in my trip report.