PDA

View Full Version : A nice story for the newbies: the story of Gringo Joe

yayow
06-22-2012, 08:11 AM
I think this is a great little story for the newbies out there, found in the online paper (Dominicantoday), not too much different from an average trip report story that you will find on this site in the paid section.
Sit back and enjoy the story of Gringo Joe and his first trip to the D.R.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/people/2012/6/21/44124/Gringo-Joes-back-in-the-good-ole-DR

yayow
06-22-2012, 08:39 AM
The kicker is if you look at the photos that accompany the story, it is no other than my old Canadian buddy Glen who used to have bar 360 in the colonial zone (it closed it's doors about 4 or so months ago). I used to spend a lot of time in his place, when I lived in the capital. Fucked just about all the chicas from his place a matter of fact two of his old girls were at my most recent party. Have lost touch with him since moving exclusively to Boca, but think I will give him a call today, just to catch up.

weyland
06-22-2012, 08:47 AM
I suspect such an unworldly guy on his first trip to SD would have got "taken" at least once (theft or over-charging). He didn't have the advantage of reading up on ISOC for a month or two beforehand.

tarzan
06-22-2012, 11:23 AM
That's a great story.:iconTU:

hugrad95a
06-22-2012, 02:09 PM
I am surprised that they would run that story on dominican today.

tarzan
06-22-2012, 02:18 PM
I am surprised that they would run that story on dominican today.

What confused me was, how they got the story since the guy was trying to keep it hush from his family.
Unless the cab driver was the reporter also.:corky:

uncle ruckus
06-22-2012, 02:28 PM
What confused me was, how they got the story since the guy was trying to keep it hush from his family.
Unless the cab driver was the reporter also.:corky:

Honestly, I'm thinking yayow's Canadian friend just made up the story as an anecdote to entice more men to visit Santo Domingo. It's a good story, but I think it's way too generic to be real. I'm reading it as fiction, not fact.

hugrad95a
06-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Honestly, I'm thinking yayow's Canadian friend just made up the story as an anecdote to entice more men to visit Santo Domingo. It's a good story, but I think it's way too generic to be real. I'm reading it as fiction, not fact.
True where is the Chica drama, the freaky freaky chicas ,the hustlers, the crazy expats.

Mr. Smooth
06-22-2012, 03:47 PM

I agree uncle ruckus. A nice story and all. The only thing that had me raising my eyebrows was the fact that I operate a forklift on a dock too!

But...ya gotta admit, a guy, especially a divorced middle aged guy who hasn't been laid in ages, reading this would get the levers in his brain to shift and crank away to plan a trip.

I actually know a guy at my job that fits this description somewhat. And he looks at me like the world traveling casanova that works at Joe's job, always hitting me up for info about the DR and Thailand. I even showed him some photos from my camera a couple of days ago from my March trip and you should have seen the look on his face!

Priceless!!

yayow
06-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Honestly, I'm thinking yayow's Canadian friend just made up the story as an anecdote to entice more men to visit Santo Domingo. It's a good story, but I think it's way too generic to be real. I'm reading it as fiction, not fact.I agree with you didn't know he was the author till I looked at the pictures, and that was after the first post but I still feel the story captures some of the emotions associated with a first trip, which is why I chose to share it here. By the way not everybody experiences chica drama. My first few trips didn't have any drama to speak of; after I thought I knew what I was doing that's when I had a few dramatic episodes. I chalked them up to the learning curve.

yayow
06-22-2012, 04:15 PM
I actually did speak to Glen earlier this afternoon, it was a catch up convo. Didn't tell him I saw the story, but he did mention it in passing, and I promised him I would check it out. Unless it's a story about someone he met, which I didn't broach today but will next time when I speak to him. I know a bit of his personal story and it's a doozy but he ain't wet behind the ears by any stretch of the immagination. He actually lived in Jamaica before moving to DR, had his own charter fishing boat. Was there for years and has some great stories, wouldn't be surprised if his and Seaweed's paths crossed at sometime in the past.

Rubicon
06-23-2012, 11:02 AM
it is no other than my old Canadian buddy Glen

According to the story:
It would be his first time leaving the U.S.A.
:confused:

greydread
06-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Great story with a very visual writing style. "2 minute Wild Man" and the ending with Joe pushing a cart of ladies' undergarments down the aisle at Wal-Mart in preparation for his next trip. Too funny!