PDA

View Full Version : Cellular Phone Facts

Don Tomas
05-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Just because it was needed, I have seen the question many times...

I am not going to go over costs just the facts.

Buyers START HERE!!!
DR Telecom (Excellent info English & Spanish)
http://www.drtele.com/

Cellular companies:
Orange - http://www.orange.com.do/default.jsp
GSM 1900
Roaming Partners: AT&T/Cingular & T-Mobile
Roaming charges AT&T:
$0.65/min to call the DR from the US
$3.49/min to call from the DR to US/DR
$0.50 for text messages (incoming and outgoing) while in the DR.

Codetel/Verizon - http://www.verizon.net.do/
CDMA 1900 (PCS) & CDMA 2000 1X
Roaming Partners: Verizon & Sprint PCS

Roaming would definitely work provided your phone worked on the proper frequency and you had the right carrier.

To switch your phone to a Dominican number the only way I know for sure is through Orange. Technically it's possible to switch on a CDMA phone but it isn't instant. Switching SIM cards is much easier.

Options:
1. Bring an UNLOCKED GSM 1900 phone with you. It has to be unlocked or the SIM card won't work. Pesky cellular companies have the phone locked by the manufacturer so they won't work with another carrier.

Sub-Options (unlocking):
1. Buy one on eBay or 100s of other sites, "unlocked and cellular" will suffice on Google to find hundreds of sites.
2. Have your current one unlocked (sorry no warranties beyond this point, do it at your own risk)...
-Call your Cellular rep, they can get the code, depends on how well they know you.
-Pay to get it unlocked, some phones are free while others cost money. Of course the commercial sites will try to sell you anything, check around for forums where people with send you the unlock code for free. Motorola's are PITAs and cost money for each unlock, I read why somewhere but forget now.

Unlocking FAQ courtesy of Gutter Meat: http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/unlockingfaq.htm#6
2. (I guess) Bring an old Verizon/Sprint phone. I am sure someone who reads Spanish can check the site.

3. Buy a phone there. Of course you can always rent a phone too.
See DR Telecom for buying info!

tampabukkake
05-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Codetel Works with phones that operate on CDMA 1900 freq (Most sprint phones work) I bought one on Ebay for 20 dollars, went to Playero and they hooked it up for free. CAUTION You need the unlock code If the Sprint phone bill is paid customer service will usually give it to you.

Orange Only works with phones on a GSM network (Tmobile and ATT M Mode) They give you a new sim card and number for 500 pesos w/ a 100 peso card.

DO NOT TAKE A TDMA PHONE You can not activate it.

elj707
05-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Hey Don I was in DR last month and my verizon phone worked fine, don't know what they are going to charge me as I have yet to get a bill.

Gutter Meat
05-19-2004, 03:05 AM
http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/unlockingfaq.htm#6

RickRock
08-18-2004, 02:41 AM
I took 3 phones to the DR in July, one nokia from Sprint, a nokia from from AT&T, and a panasonic from Cingular. Took them to the phone spot accross from the Texaco in SosĂșa. They activated the nokia's (that didn't have sim cards under the battery) for 500 pesos and I got 100 pesos card for free. The Panasonic (with the accessable sim card under the battery) was 1000 pesos and had to be sent to Santiago..

Shouldn't the phone with the Sim card right there under the battery have been easier??

I'm headed back and need to buy a phone to use there, so should I get a GSM even though it was harder to get that activated?

Don Tomas
08-18-2004, 10:07 AM
I took 3 phones to the DR in July, one nokia from Sprint, a nokia from from AT&T, and a panasonic from Cingular. Took them to the phone spot accross from the Texaco in SosĂșa. They activated the nokia's (that didn't have sim cards under the battery) for 500 pesos and I got 100 pesos card for free. The Panasonic (with the accessable sim card under the battery) was 1000 pesos and had to be sent to Santiago..

Shouldn't the phone with the Sim card right there under the battery have been easier??

I'm headed back and need to buy a phone to use there, so should I get a GSM even though it was harder to get that activated?

Nokias can be unlocked using a code number, certain phones like Siemen's require special cables, and worse case is Motorola requires a fee paid to Motorola. Most likely the Panasonic fell into the cable category and those cables aren't cheap so they probably didn't have one in Sosua.

gdogg
08-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Gordon (runner for the Palace) got my old cell phone activated for 320 pesos. I don't know how many minutes I have. He said he went to Codetel.

RickRock
08-18-2004, 08:31 PM
Not be a cock but it's Gordo (fat guy) thats his nick name.. ironic since he's flaco (skinny guy).. his real name is Alfredo.

gdogg
08-19-2004, 04:23 PM
I knew it was Gordo, but I didn't feel like editing. If I had known that's how he got his name, I definitely would have written it correctly. Thats hilarious! I thought it was odd that his (presumed given) name would be Gordon.

BrooklynBeas
08-19-2004, 04:37 PM
I knew it was Gordo, but I didn't feel like editing. If I had known that's how he got his name, I definitely would have written it correctly. Thats hilarious! I thought it was odd that his (presumed given) name would be Gordon.

Tell Alfredo, Rolin,& Fernando that their buddies from Brooklyn will see them sept 17th!..

Feed my kids please gdogg and everyone else out there...

gdogg
08-19-2004, 05:03 PM
I've been good to them. Which one is Luka?

Are those your kids who are ALWAYS outside? If so, I hooked them up with one of those delicious chicken dinners from the corner.

Is Luka's real name Luka? I can't get that damn song out of my head now. I sing it everytime I see him!

My name is Luka
I live on the second floor....

RickRock
08-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Luka is the Bald Haitian man that stays on premisis.. He's a really good dude.

RickRock
08-19-2004, 07:04 PM
btw how much longer you there?

gdogg
08-19-2004, 09:41 PM
I know who Luka is...just wondering if he went by a nickname. He is the absolute best!

I leave Sunday afternoon (unfortunately!)

My next trip will be around my spring break dates March 7-13

Jimmydr
08-19-2004, 09:47 PM
I bought a phone here last year and re activated it today for 350 pesos including 100 peso phone card.

RickRock
08-20-2004, 12:16 AM
Which one is Luka?

Luka is the Bald Haitian man that stays on premisis

I know who Luka is

Loosin me dog..

gdogg
08-20-2004, 04:42 PM
RR

Sorry for the confusion. My "which one is Luka?" question was in response to Beas' statement:

"Tell Alfredo, Rolin,& Fernando that their buddies from Brooklyn will see them sept 17th!.."

I was wondering if one of those was Luka's real name. I'm typing too fast sometimes. My bad!

Don Tomas
08-20-2004, 05:28 PM
RR

Sorry for the confusion. My "which one is Luka?" question was in response to Beas' statement:

"Tell Alfredo, Rolin,& Fernando that their buddies from Brooklyn will see them sept 17th!.."

I was wondering if one of those was Luka's real name. I'm typing too fast sometimes. My bad!

Luka is none the above mentioned people. Luka has been working on John's new condos down the road so I rarely saw him at night, John had another Haitian working night security. I forget his name but he was taking English classes and spoke very well, he taught me some Creole.

the_Jayman
08-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Luka is the bald dude that I kept waking up at 2 in the morning because the Palace Penthouse Hot-tub was fucked up. Right?

gdogg
08-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Luka is the bald dude that I kept waking up at 2 in the morning because the Palace Penthouse Hot-tub was fucked up. Right?

That's Luka!!

BrooklynBeas
08-23-2004, 01:18 PM

Luka is also the guy i keep waking up when i come back from the clubs at 5 in the morning because my lazy ass doesnt want to use a key to open the front door... well that was before the little hole in the door with the pull string door lock contraption...

gdogg
08-23-2004, 03:40 PM
I was guilty of that too. I didn't even know I had a key to the gate until my last night! My fault. :oops:

Reel Deal
11-11-2004, 03:24 PM
The Bad News:

My cell service here in FL is Cingular, and my phone is a Motorola V90i (I think). The last 6-8 months, my reception has been :evil: horrible :evil: . I've been thinking there's something wrong with the G&% D%^$ thing.

I went to a Cingular Tech Center yesterday. Sumbitch :shock: . Seems my phone is just fine. Seems that, unbeknownst to me (and prolly thousands of other "loyal" customers), Cingular has been changing their network from CDMA to GSM. And along with the change, they have been replacing CDMA transceivers with GSM equipment, so now the coverage "map" for CDMA has totally shrunk to where I am on "Extended Service" all over the place-with crap reception. In fact, where I live I am lucky to get any signal at all...

BASTARDS!!!! You can't even get a CDMA phone any more. When all the current CDMA contracts expire, CDMA is history

Soooooo...armed with this information, I'm headed to my local Cingular sales office to get a NEW phone (equivalent in quality as my current Motorola) on their GSM network-and I'm guessing it's gonna be very close to free.

Maybe I'll quit saying "can you hear me now" on my cell.

The Good News:

I'll have a GSM phone! Won't this be DR friendly with just replacing the little chip in it? What will I have to do to use my new phone in the DR? Verizon or Orange?

The rental (which I still have...what a friggin' boat anchor) from Orange is a POS.

Input appreciated...

jd_mine
11-11-2004, 03:34 PM
You'll have to use Orange Dominicana since it's the only provider in DR that uses GSM.
Make sure when you buy the GSM phone that it is sim lock free.
Providers have a nasty habit of locking their phones to their service only. If your phone is not sim lock free it will not work with the DR chip/sim.
You'll then first have to have the phone unlocked.
If it is simlock free, you can just get a little sim/chip at the Orange shop in Dr and put it in there, presto you will have a dominican phone......

Don Tomas
11-11-2004, 03:35 PM
The Bad News:

My cell service here in FL is Cingular, and my phone is a Motorola V90i (I think). The last 6-8 months, my reception has been :evil: horrible :evil: . I've been thinking there's something wrong with the G&% D%^$ thing.

I went to a Cingular Tech Center yesterday. Sumbitch :shock: . Seems my phone is just fine. Seems that, unbeknownst to me (and prolly thousands of other "loyal" customers), Cingular has been changing their network from CDMA to GSM. And along with the change, they have been replacing CDMA transceivers with GSM equipment, so now the coverage "map" for CDMA has totally shrunk to where I am on "Extended Service" all over the place-with crap reception. In fact, where I live I am lucky to get any signal at all...

BASTARDS!!!! You can't even get a CDMA phone any more. When all the current CDMA contracts expire, CDMA is history

Soooooo...armed with this information, I'm headed to my local Cingular sales office to get a NEW phone (equivalent in quality as my current Motorola) on their GSM network-and I'm guessing it's gonna be very close to free.

The Good News:

I'll have a GSM phone! Won't this be DR friendly with just replacing the little chip in it? What will I have to do to use my new phone in the DR? Verizon or Orange?

The rental (which I still have...what a friggin' boat anchor) from Orange is a POS.

Input appreciated...

RTFPost! :D

You need to have your GSM phone unlocked! In terms of unlocking, Nokia is the easiest.

Don Tomas
11-11-2004, 03:36 PM
You'll have to use Orange Dominicana since it's the only provider in DR that uses GSM.
Make sure when you buy the GSM phone that it is sim lock free.
Providers have a nasty habit of locking their phones to their service only. If your phone is not sim lock free it will not work with the DR chip/sim.
You'll then first have to have the phone unlocked.
If it is simlock free, you can just get a little sim/chip at the Orange shop in Dr and put it in there, presto you will have a dominican phone......

It's illegal to sell unlocked phones in the US. Pay enough and companies can change laws in the US!

jd_mine
11-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Here in Holland phomes are only locked if you get them for free or at a reduced rate with a subscription. Pay full price and they will be simlock free.
Anyone, if the phone is not the newest of the newest, you can always get it unlocked for $15 or by yourself by surfing the internet......

D_W_
11-11-2004, 04:43 PM
It's illegal to sell unlocked phones in the US. Pay enough and companies can change laws in the US!

DT,

It is absolutely legal to have unlocked phones. Period. If you buy a new phone outright that is not through a particular carrier it will be unlocked. I'll give you one better, if you got a free phone and you have lived up to your contract companies like Cingular will give you the unlock code.

If anything, carriers are getting sued for locking phones, even ones that they didn't give the customer.

The phone is yours...you can do it what you will, break, give it away...whatever as long you pay the bill.

Don Tomas
11-11-2004, 04:54 PM

DT,

It is absolutely legal to have unlocked phones. Period. If you buy a new phone outright that is not through a particular carrier it will be unlocked. I'll give you one better, if you got a free phone and you have lived up to your contract companies like Cingular will give you the unlock code.

If anything, carriers are getting sued for locking phones, even ones that they didn't give the customer.

The phone is yours...you can do it what you will, break, give it away...whatever as long you pay the bill.

I agree it's legal to have an unlocked phone, it's legal to have it unlocked as long as your contract doesn't state differently. As for a code to unlock it, only Nokia can be done by codes, every other phone is a hardware cable unlock. Hell Motorola even charges you for each unlock!

As for buying a phone outright, again something you can do on the net buying from eBay or a foreign company but not something you will be able to buy at a local phone store.

Even better is the fact some phone models can be re-locked wirelessly and I know that AT&T does that if able!

D_W_
11-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Even better is the fact some phone models can be re-locked wirelessly and I know that AT&T does that if able!

You're right...I heard about that with AT&T.

RearWindow
11-11-2004, 06:45 PM
The Bad News:

The Good News:

Input appreciated... Sorry to quote yer entire post. I have Cingular as well , and it is near useless when I travel to the FLA panhandle. When I found out about the "partnership" with Orange, I thought..hmmmm. maybe this sucker will work in DR. So I tried it down there...it turned on, gave me correct time date..but said it was only available for 911 service ( big help in DR). So when I got back home, my smarmy little resell shop guy says "well if it's seeing that, it should work, you just need to get a number activated". He advises me to call Tech and ask for an "international expert". I do..and Shit..they have NO idea what I'm trying to do. Basically they say it can't be done with what I have, (an LG 4120 ) which is contrary to what their website says.Not worth the effing trouble, imho. I'm just gonna buy something down there, and gift it to a novia when i leave. My other cell is nextel service ( and a Motorola similar to what you are deep sixing) and it is a paper weight in DR.

Reel Deal
11-12-2004, 07:32 PM
I went to a Cingular store today, and after listening to their lame excuses, showed them evidence of my problem.

They sheepishly agreed the CDMA network was not what it once was, and offered me a significant discount on a GSM phone.

The good news is that Motorola has a phone similar to my V60 (not V90 like I said before), but much better-a V400. AND it's an "international" phone. It is not "locked". All I hafta do is go to Orange, get a chip and some minutes, and ~voila~...I'm telephonically Dominican cellularized.

And I have an excellent signal where I didn't before.

I LOVE a happy ending! :D

BigTrick
11-13-2004, 02:08 PM
The Bad News:

The Good News:

Input appreciated... Sorry to quote yer entire post. I have Cingular as well , and it is near useless when I travel to the FLA panhandle. When I found out about the "partnership" with Orange, I thought..hmmmm. maybe this sucker will work in DR. So I tried it down there...it turned on, gave me correct time date..but said it was only available for 911 service ( big help in DR). So when I got back home, my smarmy little resell shop guy says "well if it's seeing that, it should work, you just need to get a number activated". He advises me to call Tech and ask for an "international expert". I do..and Shit..they have NO idea what I'm trying to do. Basically they say it can't be done with what I have, (an LG 4120 ) which is contrary to what their website says.Not worth the effing trouble, imho. I'm just gonna buy something down there, and gift it to a novia when i leave. My other cell is nextel service ( and a Motorola similar to what you are deep sixing) and it is a paper weight in DR.

Cingular will definately work in the DR. I have used my friend's cingular phone in the DR. I was able to make calls home and DR calls while in the DR. However you will be roaming and will have to pay roaming fees.

Try to upgrade your roaming before you next trip. Also make sure you have an international plan not a local plan.

tampabukkake
11-28-2004, 03:51 PM
If any of my Monger brothers have a Nokia GSM they need unlocked, I will do it for free. (I can do some other makes as well.)

All you need to do is send me the IMEI code of your phone. (Press *#06#) Give me Make and Model and Carrier that it is locked to.

I will email you the codes and instructions.

D_W_
11-28-2004, 04:32 PM
If any of my Monger brothers have a Nokia GSM they need unlocked, I will do it for free. (I can do some other makes as well.)

All you need to do is send me the IMEI code of your phone. (Press *#06#) Give me Make and Model and Carrier that it is locked to.

Right on cool!

Don Tomas
12-06-2004, 01:44 PM

I sent TampaBukkake my info that day, has anyone heard from him since then?

RickRock
02-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Just a question of curiousity..how much does it cost to buy a good cell phone in the Dominican?

dapanz1

Apos
02-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Just a question of curiousity..how much does it cost to buy a good cell phone in the Dominican?

dapanz1

pm "MAV" or "TheLostGringo" they own Caribbian Communication, a cellphone store near Domino and the Europa on Pedro Clisante in Sosua. If you bring a GSM phone they can unlock it and get it going for a nominal fee. I think I paid about $800 pesos when they helped me out.

Don Tomas
02-05-2005, 08:29 PM

dapanz1

A lot, cheapest phones go for US$100. The phones are made in the US, SE Asia, etc. They are shipped in and have taxes added on, unless it's made in the DR it ain't cheap.

Labor is also very cheap in the DR, puta or other types. :lol:

Don Tomas
02-05-2005, 08:35 PM
pm "MAV" or "TheLostGringo" they own Caribbian Communication, a cellphone store near Domino and the Europa on Pedro Clisante in Sosua. If you bring a GSM phone they can unlock it and get it going for a nominal fee. I think I paid about $800 pesos when they helped me out.

If you are going to travel out of Sosua off the beaten path bring an old Verizon/Sprint phone down and get hooked up with Verizon.

Orange is GSM and coverage sucks.

Apos
02-05-2005, 08:42 PM

If you are going to travel out of Sosua off the beaten path bring an old Verizon/Sprint phone down and get hooked up with Verizon.

Orange is GSM and coverage sucks.

True however most people I know use Orange but they mostly live in and around Sosua and Puerto Plata.

jd_mine
02-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Good thing about Orange is I can just use my own phone and only have to change the SIM chip. Bad thing is them dominican Orange bastards de-activate the chip after it hasn't been used for 2 months. So every damn time I'm there I have to get a new SIM chip and thus have a new telephone number. I still have all the chicas numbers, but they do not have mine any longer......Over here Orange never de-activate the SIM chips.

Don Tomas
02-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Good thing about Orange is I can just use my own phone and only have to change the SIM chip. Bad thing is them dominican Orange bastards de-activate the chip after it hasn't been used for 2 months. So every damn time I'm there I have to get a new SIM chip and thus have a new telephone number. I still have all the chicas numbers, but they do not have mine any longer......Over here Orange never de-activate the SIM chips.

Since you have Orange in Europe does your DR SIM chip roam? If you get a signal why not buy (however many needed) RD$60 phone cards and punch in the card every two months when back in Europe.

jd_mine
02-06-2005, 05:57 AM
For some reason my NL chip (which is a subscription, not a pre-paid) does roam in DR, but the pre-paid DR chip does NOT roam in Holland.

Tonto4
02-06-2005, 07:33 AM
Hey Don I was in DR last month and my verizon phone worked fine, don't know what they are going to charge me as I have yet to get a bill.

Would you recommend bringing a NY Verizon phone to DR? Was it expensive to use?
Thanks, Doug

Apos
02-06-2005, 07:53 AM

Would you recommend bringing a NY Verizon phone to DR? Was it expensive to use?
Thanks, Doug

My memory may be faulty but I recall about $3 USD per minute from another post. It's less than a quarter a minute with a DR based phone.

psriches
02-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Check this out ! I just received my itmized Sprint cell phone bill and none of the calls i made in Sosua were on the bill. I made 12 calls and there's no record of them. Do you think it will be on the next bill?

Jimmydr
02-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Check this out ! I just received my itmized Sprint cell phone bill and none of the calls i made in Sosua were on the bill. I made 12 calls and there's no record of them. Do you think it will be on the next bill?

Hell YES!!!

Apos
02-09-2005, 04:52 PM

no idea but please let us know! this could be a very good thing.

Dick Dawson
02-09-2005, 06:21 PM

Did you make the calls close to the end of your billing cycle? Mine runs from the 15th to the 14th of the following month. When I was there in June, I made one call 2 days before the end of my billing cycle and it didn't show up until the following cycle's bill. It was a call back to the US and it was 99 cents per minute. You can also check how many minutes you've used on their website.

psriches
02-09-2005, 07:29 PM

Did you make the calls close to the end of your billing cycle? Mine runs from the 15th to the 14th of the following month. When I was there in June, I made one call 2 days before the end of my billing cycle and it didn't show up until the following cycle's bill. It was a call back to the US and it was 99 cents per minute. You can also check how many minutes you've used on their website.It was during the last 4 days of the billing cycle...

jd_mine
02-10-2005, 03:10 PM
It will probably show up on the next bill. I work for a telcom and it usually takes a couple of days for the roaming partners to pass the details through.

BrooklynBeas
02-11-2005, 09:00 AM
i just called sprint for you PS... and told them to check out those calls and make sure they appear on your bill... they said sorry for not chargin you and it will be on your next bill :D

psriches
02-11-2005, 06:12 PM
i just called sprint for you PS... and told them to check out those calls and make sure they appear on your bill... they said sorry for not chargin you and it will be on your next bill :DActually, i forwarded those calls to your number so i guess it will appear on YOUR next bill. :wink: