PDA

View Full Version : 08/2012 - Rumba "self -tipping" waiter alert.

DASBOOTY
08-07-2012, 09:36 PM
When I was in Sosua in March I went to Rumba bar one night and ordered three drinks from the waiter. The cost was 220 pesos and I gave him 400 pesos (two 200 peso notes). I waited 45 minutes for my 180 pesos in change before I got fed up and asked him "where is my change". He acted surprised but gave me my change and I tipped him 50 pesos.

I was in Rumba Friday night with my chica and ordered a drink from the same waiter. The cost was 150 pesos and I gave him a 200 peso note. Once again, the fucker didn't bring me my change. For 30 minutes I observed as he took orders from tables with Dominicanas and Haitianas and promptly returned their change.

I wanted to order another drink and my chica called over a female waiter. I pointed out to her the other waiter and told her he had not given me back my change. She sent him over to my table and I told him he owed me 50 pesos. He did not have any 50 peso notes, so I gave him a 50 peso note in exchange for a 100 peso note (NO TIP).

The waiter in question is short, skinny, about 25-30 years old and scurries around Rumba like the Roadrunner (not when it comes to bringing my change though :rofl:).

While all of this may seem to some to be petty on my part, if we don't stand up to them on self-tipping, short-changing, and bill-padding etc., some of them will keep on trying to take advantage of gringos.

El-Rey
08-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Sounds like Max. Never had a problem out of him, But I wouldnt be surprised.

bk8987m
08-08-2012, 12:23 PM
Tipping is the customer's choice... something to be earned for good service, not taken for granted by the waiter... it would piss me off too...

jacknback
08-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I would have gone looking for the jefe the second time.:mad:Lord knows how much he's skimming.It's to bad because if hes the same guy we think he is,he does a good job and should make decent tips from the gringos.

MrHappy
08-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Something I learned decades ago.....

Whenever you pay a bill, you study it first, and make sure you agree with the amount owed.

You ask the server to tell you how much it is, to see if they tell you the same thing as is printed.

You hand them the bill(s) and tell them how much you're handing them.

You make sure they acknowledge how much you gave them.

It only takes a second or two, but it makes it abundantly clear to the server that you are aware of the "facts", and avoids a TON of confusion.

BTW, I usually "round up" to the next hundred or so with my payment, and tell them to keep the change(if I have exact change, which I usually do)

j_d66
08-10-2012, 11:48 AM
I always tell them one way or another. If I want change back I say "change" otherwise I tell them that "I am all set" which means the difference is theirs.

I typically don't study the bill in detail but I always have a rough idea as to what I think the bill should be. If it's alot more than I study it. I also remember that 100RD is less than $3 so unless it's off very much I am not going to make an issue out of it

dmoney
08-10-2012, 01:01 PM
I also remember that 100RD is less than $3 so unless it's off very much I am not going to make an issue out of it

i agree with everything you said until you said this.

i feel that it is more about the principle. even if it was one cent i still want it back and then i will give them the tip myself at my discretion.

To me it speaks to the waiters honesty and character. Yes i know this is a third world country and some will say that we should not hold them up to the same standards as we do with people back home. That is not me, i try to treat everyone the same no matter where i am.

Also i have spend a good amount of time in third world countries and what you said above is EXACTLY what they want. It makes them think it is ok. Notice how the OP said he did not do this to the locals.He knows they wouldn't put up with that crap. Him doing it to a foreigner was not a mistake. Taking 100pesos from one guy might not seem like much but if he does it 9 or 10 times during the course of his shift. Guess what he just made 1000pesos right there (enough for a ST :rofl::rofl:)

I tip really well both here and stateside but i like to do it myself.

MrHappy
08-10-2012, 01:11 PM
i agree with everything you said until you said this.

i feel that it is more about the principle. even if it was one cent i still want it back and then i will give them the tip myself at my discretion.

To me it speaks to the waiters honesty and character. Yes i know this is a third world country and some will say that we should not hold them up to the same standards as we do with people back home. That is not me, i try to treat everyone the same no matter where i am.

Also i have spend a good amount of time in third world countries and what you said above is EXACTLY what they want. It makes them think it is ok. Notice how the OP said he did not do this to the locals.He knows they wouldn't put up with that crap. Him doing it to a foreigner was not a mistake. Taking 100pesos from one guy might not seem like much but if he does it 9 or 10 times during the course of his shift. Guess what he just made 1000pesos right there (enough for a ST :rofl::rofl:)

I tip really well both here and stateside but i like to do it myself.

If a person has not been brought up with strong standards of honesty and character(which includes 99.9% of most people working in that type of industry) how could you ever expect them to display those characteristics?

Same goes for their consideration for others, level of responsibility, or manners( or lack of any or all of the above).

If you've never been trained in calculus, how could I possibly expect you to solve any sort of calculus problem?

Those are things we are brought up with since childhood and take for granted. Not so for them.

There's an old saying here "Mas claridad, mas amistad" - Make sure things are clearly understood, and you greatly diminish the amount of problems you encounter.

deezl
08-10-2012, 01:13 PM
I've had the same issue at Rumba but with a different guy.

Actually had to hunt him down to get my change back which pissed me off so - no tip for him.

It was 'only' 40 pesos, but it's the principle of the thing.

I'd have had no problem dropping 40p as a tip, except he took it upon himself to take it and be disrespectful, so not only did he not get the tip but I always make sure to get a waiter other than him now.

dmoney
08-10-2012, 01:39 PM
If a person has not been brought up with strong standards of honesty and character(which includes 99.9% of most people working in that type of industry) how could you ever expect them to display those characteristics?

Same goes for their consideration for others, level of responsibility, or manners( or lack of any or all of the above).

If you've never been trained in calculus, how could I possibly expect you to solve any sort of calculus problem?

Those are things we are brought up with since childhood and take for granted. Not so for them.

There's an old saying here "Mas claridad, mas amistad" - Make sure things are clearly understood, and you greatly diminish the amount of problems you encounter.

but how do we know that 99.9 of them are not brought up with a strong standards? I know alot of people who have been taught to have good character and honesty but yet they still cheat as much if not more than those who were not. That is just how people are but i like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt or the opportunity to prove me otherwise (that is how i was brought up). If they do prove me to be wrong then that benefit of the doubt won't be applied in the future. :rofl::rofl: guess i think that there is more than .1 percent of them out there.

i like that saying and totally agree with you. By response was more of a retort to what the other person was saying :lol:

MrHappy
08-10-2012, 01:52 PM
but how do we know that 99.9 of them are not brought up with a strong standards? I know alot of people who have been taught to have good character and honesty but yet they still cheat as much if not more than those who were not. That is just how people are but i like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt or the opportunity to prove me otherwise (that is how i was brought up). If they do prove me to be wrong then that benefit of the doubt won't be applied in the future. :rofl::rofl: guess i think that there is more than .1 percent of them out there.

i like that saying and totally agree with you. My response was more of a retort to what the other person was saying :lol:

In Sosua?? I don tink so...

Get into the city, and chances are, most places you go into it's highly unlikely they will do that sort of thing.

Go into some dump, and there's a good chance it will happen.

Seville
08-10-2012, 02:38 PM
I always tell them one way or another. If I want change back I say "change" otherwise I tell them that "I am all set" which means the difference is theirs.

I typically don't study the bill in detail but I always have a rough idea as to what I think the bill should be. If it's alot more than I study it. I also remember that 100RD is less than $3 so unless it's off very much I am not going to make an issue out of it

They love that attitude....they count on it. In areas like Sosua they are counting on the tourist not giving a shit about 100 pesos on the bill or 50 more pesos for the moto or 500 more pesos when the chica asks for it. Your attitude just feeds into the "entitlement" they feel to rip off the stupid gringo who, in their minds, has more money than sense.

MrHappy
08-10-2012, 03:00 PM
They love that attitude....they count on it. In areas like Sosua they are counting on the tourist not giving a shit about 100 pesos on the bill or 50 more pesos for the moto or 500 more pesos when the chica asks for it. Your attitude just feeds into the "entitlement" they feel to rip off the stupid gringo who, in their minds, has more money than sense.

That is true for the entire country.

And in effect, that's the truth. More money than sense.

I challenge any guy on this board to go to a colmado, and hang out and watch the people that come in and buy things.

See how many of them are inclined to say "forget about it" when it comes down to one peso in change.

One peso.

It's highly unlikely you'll see even one person do that. They keep track of their pesos meticulously.

Hanging out in a colmado is an eye opener. Have you ever seen a person buy one spoon of tomato paste?

1/2 of a chicken bouillon cube? A half a plastic cup of cooking oil? One piece of bread?

People that deal at that level LOVE the guys that throw money around like burnt matches.

dmoney
08-10-2012, 04:11 PM

couldn't have said it better myself:iconTU:

quite honestly i do not blame them. its a nice little hustle but it can easily be stopped by gringos if they just took better care.

this whole thing leads to the overspending debate. That is another topic in its own but the two do go hand in hand imo.

Irie
08-10-2012, 05:36 PM
I would have gone looking for the jefe the second time.:mad:Lord knows how much he's skimming.It's to bad because if hes the same guy we think he is,he does a good job and should make decent tips from the gringos.

It probably is who you're thinking Jack. I agree too. He's was the first and only to impress me with serving this trip. Previous trips left a bad taste in my mouth with much to be desired. I contemplating not even patronizing the place because the past experiences were so terrible.

jacknback
08-10-2012, 06:03 PM
But this surely doesn't give him permission to rip people off.

Irie
08-10-2012, 06:06 PM
But this surely doesn't give him permission to rip people off.

Permission???.......no. Read above. Happys got it.

Service?.....best I've had there. And that's not saying much.

steviewonder
08-10-2012, 08:14 PM
That is true for the entire country.

Hanging out in a colmado is an eye opener. Have you ever seen a person buy one spoon of tomato paste?

Yes, and one egg:eek:

1/2 of a chicken bouillon cube?

Yes, and two national cigarettes that he put into a Marlboro empty box:wink:

A half a plastic cup of cooking oil? One piece of bread?

Yes, that's when I realized I have too much food in my fridge:wink:

rahsta
08-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Yes, and one egg:eek:

Yes, and two national cigarettes that he put into a Marlboro empty box:wink:

Yes, that's when I realized I have too much food in my fridge:wink:

This is why we all have to be thankfull, we can travel to foreign countries. I try to stay humble.

DASBOOTY
08-11-2012, 08:54 AM
I've had the same issue at Rumba but with a different guy.

Actually had to hunt him down to get my change back which pissed me off so - no tip for him.

It was 'only' 40 pesos, but it's the principle of the thing.

I'd have had no problem dropping 40p as a tip, except he took it upon himself to take it and be disrespectful, so not only did he not get the tip but I always make sure to get a waiter other than him now.

This kind of stuff seems to be a common occurence at Rumba.

Last July I met up with vew dew and his favorita at Rumba one night. I wanted to get a beer and vew dew told me to go up to the bar to get a beer and tell the waiter to put it on his tab. I had a difficult time trying to communicate this to the waiter in Spanish (and with the loud music blaring in the background), so I just paid for the beer.

When vew dew got his tab he noticed the waiter had charged him for the beer I had already paid for.

The waiter in question now works across the street at El Flow. When I returned to Sosua in November I was walking past El Flow one evening and he motioned for me to take a chair at a table on the sidewalk.....................I pointed at my AI wrist band and kept on walking :rofl:.

JD426
08-11-2012, 10:35 AM

If I highlighed what part of this statement I agreed with I would have to highlight every single word..
You certainly have learned a LOT since you now live there. U 100% right, This is exactly what they count on, and now feel "entitleed to" (thats a very powerful motivation most people dont even understand)..
they COUNT on making that extra money from the stupid gringos, who dont even count their change, dont even look at the bill to see if its padded , and sometimes even say out loud "oh thats nothing" , Overtips....
And the results... well thats what this thread is all about...And I also believe what happend with that situation with Rich... They figured he would just pay it.. after all its only $13, that "NOTHING" , I hear that a lot from Dominicans now that its "nothing" . Oh Really ? How Long would it take your Uneducated Dominican Ass to Earn that money, if you didnt steal it ?

Its Funny , people made fun of those of us who DONT tip excessively a little while back, if some of you recall ... and we were accused of being "cheap",,, and lectured on how these wait people make so little money, etc etc..
No, its not about being cheap, its about not letting them think we are complete effing fools...
One of my first lessons in Santo Domingo on this kind of thing,, a Guy we were tipping well at Lapsus ( $5 bills from each of us) and he would Still STEAL 100 pesos from us, by not bringing back the correct change.. he would crumple it up in his hands.. I literally caught him, told him to open his hand exposing the crumpled up bill , and then I told him. YOU keep it but I guess you know you fucked up..

but you said it much nicer Robert..

oh, and if there was a point to my post, its that WE have brought this on ourselves.. The dominicans are not like this with each other, which Mr Happy explained much more eloquently.. they are only like this with US... cause we let them...

dmoney
08-11-2012, 11:51 AM
If I highlighed what part of this statement I agreed with I would have to highlight every single word..
You certainly have learned a LOT since you now live there. U 100% right, This is exactly what they count on, and now feel "entitleed to" (thats a very powerful motivation most people dont even understand)..
they COUNT on making that extra money from the stupid gringos, who dont even count their change, dont even look at the bill to see if its padded , and sometimes even say out loud "oh thats nothing" , Overtips....
And the results... well thats what this thread is all about...And I also believe what happend with that situation with Rich... They figured he would just pay it.. after all its only $13, that "NOTHING" , I hear that a lot from Dominicans now that its "nothing" . Oh Really ? How Long would it take your Uneducated Dominican Ass to Earn that money, if you didnt steal it ?

Its Funny , people made fun of those of us who DONT tip excessively a little while back, if some of you recall ... and we were accused of being "cheap",,, and lectured on how these wait people make so little money, etc etc..
No, its not about being cheap, its about not letting them think we are complete effing fools...
One of my first lessons in Santo Domingo on this kind of thing,, a Guy we were tipping well at Lapsus ( $5 bills from each of us) and he would Still STEAL 100 pesos from us, by not bringing back the correct change.. he would crumple it up in his hands.. I literally caught him, told him to open his hand exposing the crumpled up bill , and then I told him. YOU keep it but I guess you know you fucked up..

oh, and if there was a point to my post, its that WE have brought this on ourselves.. The dominicans are not like this with each other, which Mr Happy explained much more eloquently.. they are only like this with US... cause we let them...

well said judge i always enjoy your posts. you my friend are a man after my own heart. :iconTU:

rahsta
08-11-2012, 12:38 PM

I agree. This is why the chicas say one price then say another price later.
Alot of guys say a extra 500 pesos is nothing, but it adds up and can be a nuisance.
I like knowing what the price of something is before hand. From food to pussy. I like knowing.

Nakom
08-11-2012, 01:56 PM
There is a big difference between tipping what you feel is appropriate and letting a dominican rip you off......... but that is another disagrement between me and the judge for another thread......

On Wednesday I went into BanReservas to buy a CD. This is MY bank, and I have over 500,000 pesos invested there. After I purchased my CD, I told the banker I needed to change $400 US into pesos. She of course says no problem, and tells me the rate is 37.3. The current rate was 39ish!!!!! I reminded her that I have over 500,000 pesos in this bank and told her I can get 38.5 from a tigre on the street. She looked at me funny and said on moment. Came back 5 min later and said ok - 38.9.

Even your own bank tries to rip you off in the DR!!!!!!!

MrHappy
08-11-2012, 02:13 PM
There is a big difference between tipping what you feel is appropriate and letting a dominican rip you off......... but that is another disagrement between me and the judge for another thread......

On Wednesday I went into BanReservas to buy a CD. This is MY bank, and I have over 500,000 pesos invested there. After I purchased my CD, I told the banker I needed to change $400 US into pesos. She of course says no problem, and tells me the rate is 37.3. The current rate was 39ish!!!!! I reminded her that I have over 500,000 pesos in this bank and told her I can get 38.5 from a tigre on the street. She looked at me funny and said on moment. Came back 5 min later and said ok - 38.9.

Even your own bank tries to rip you off in the DR!!!!!!!

Ummm... I exchanged some money on Thursday and got 39.07.

The Banco Central rate for that day was 39.1333, if my memory serves me correctly.

Not really fair to compare, however. I run my company account through them, and usually change 10K or so at a time.

It wasn't always that way. She was changing at a lower rate until I checked another local bank, and found they were paying more than she was. I acted like I was really hurt that she wouldn't give me the best rate, and from then on, it's been changed at the correct rate. ( I also keep my eye on the official rate now)

I'm sure banks are the same way everywhere. You really have to be on your toes with what they have to offer. Managers have a lot of leeway to negotiate.

JD426
08-11-2012, 02:16 PM
And I think thats what this thread was about, not letting Dominicans rip us off, or "assume" they can " tip themselves "..
But make no mistake, if even a chica, who had 3 kids, assumes she can keep the change lets say on 890 pesos tab, cuz I didnt have exact change and pay with a 1 Mil Note
.. I'm gonna take it all back.. and tip nothing.. out of principle..
In this scenario the OP was talking about a MALE Dominican however.. which it applies to even moreso.

I think your bank example just proves even further that they really DONT respect Gringos, not even if have 500 K in the bank with them.
Its all about the HUSTLE and seperating us from our money, in any way they can..
And if you want to TIP generously,, hey thats fine.. But the Waiter dont get to decide that.. does he ?

U may want to read the whole thread, before assuming I was throwing stones.. I assure you, I was NOT....

Mr. Smooth
08-11-2012, 04:31 PM
In my own case, the only problem I have had with getting my change at Rumba was the wait. Sometimes over 5 minutes. But it was usually very busy, both sidewalk tables and inside tables. But as far as the waiter deciding on his own to keep my change? Never has happened. I have waved him off before as he approached with my change to let him know that was his tip.

When I go to one of the quieter bars away from the strip, I have NEVER had a problem. The bartender, if she hasn't got the proper change, has even given the chica who was sitting (working) there my money and told her to get change at the colmado across the street. A minute or two later, the chica comes back and gives it to the bartender who then gives me back the proper amount of change.

I make sure to leave a nice tip!

eldorob
08-11-2012, 04:53 PM
I was having breakfast at NG about a week ago, pulled my cash out, counting below the table so as not to flash it around and I unknowningly gave the waitress 2 - 100's and a 1,000 peso note. I wasn't paying attention and thought I was handing her 300 pesos. She took my cash and walked away.

And guess what, she caught my mistake, turned right around and brought me back my 1,000 peso note.
Had she not done that, I would have never caught it.

I gave her a nice tip too.

sosuaman
08-11-2012, 05:00 PM
if I were him, and I was born there, and I worked at Rumba and I had three kids like he does - I would do the same thing.

A dollar fifty means more to him than it does to you (i think)....

DASBOOTY
08-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Exactamente! It is not just the waiters pulling this stunt.

I stayed at Trade Winds condos for three nights on this trip. The motoconchos all charged me 50 pesos to go to El Batey (or back to the condo).

One night I had pizza with a Dominican friend and his 4 daughters in El Batey. Afterwards, I got onto a moto at la Bomba and told the driver I wanted to go to Trade Winds (english pronunciation). The driver and I agreed on 50 pesos before I got on the moto. I guess he didn't understand where I wanted to go as he did a u-turn and started to head back to El Batey. My Dominican friend saw this and yelled at the driver "He wants to go to TRRADE WEENDS (spanish pronunciation). The driver turned back onto the highway and said to me "Trrade Weends is far, I want 100 pesos". I wasn't gonna argue with a motoconcho going 30 miles an hour on the highway so I paid him the 100 when we got there.

In March, a Dominicana amiga and I got into a publico at Sosua to go to La Sirena in POP. The driver was charging the other Dominicans in the taxi 50 pesos each, but he charged me and my amiga 100 pesos each.........:wtf1: . So I whispered to my amiga "Why is he charging us double the fare?" and she says "Because we are going farther then where the other passengers are getting dropped off". I think to myself "that is :bs:". I knew La Sirena was only a few minutes away from the main drop-off point, but I wasn't going to argue with the driver over the fare with about 6 other Dominicans all squashed into the car :rofl:.

And to make matters worse, we got into the same publico to get back to Sosua...............and he charged us 200 pesos again :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

j_d66
08-13-2012, 11:15 AM
I was having breakfast at NG about a week ago, pulled my cash out, counting below the table so as not to flash it around and I unknowningly gave the waitress 2 - 100's and a 1,000 peso note. I wasn't paying attention and thought I was handing her 300 pesos. She took my cash and walked away.

And guess what, she caught my mistake, turned right around and brought me back my 1,000 peso note.
Had she not done that, I would have never caught it.

I gave her a nice tip too.

I have noticed how hard that waitress works at NG. Often she works the entire breakfast crowd there by herself and does it with a smile and because breakfast for guests are free I am sure she doesn't get the tips she deserves. It does not surprise me that she brought that 1,000 rd note back. Even though there are alot of hustlers in the DR there are also alot of real quality individuals who do work hard just trying to get by. We need to remember the ones that make are trip to Sosua pleasurable and not just the chicas that get us off.

Irie
08-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Exactamente! It is not just the waiters pulling this stunt.

I stayed at Trade Winds condos for three nights on this trip. The motoconchos all charged me 50 pesos to go to El Batey (or back to the condo).

Other than an issue with one moto guy really late at night, the rates I paid in July were 30 pp during the day and 50 pp at night from the strip to Trade Winds.

Mr. Smooth
08-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Other than an issue with one moto guy really late at night, the rates I paid in July were 30 pp during the day and 50 pp at night from the strip to Trade Winds.

I paid the same moto rates for a ride up to the Palms, about 75 yards further up the road. At night with a chica, I paid 100 pesos to the moto and had no issues with him wanting more.

DASBOOTY
08-14-2012, 10:28 AM

30 pesos is a great rate. But my question is - how does one get 30 pesos in Sosua?:rofl:

I rarely carry less than a 50 peso note on me. In the DR (like in Mexico) it can be hard to get small change. In my 2 weeks in Sosua I only got a 20 peso bill two times and a 25 peso coin maybe three or four times.

Smaller change I dispense of quickly. 5 and 10 peso coins I like to use in the small Playero market. I know the cashier in there can get frustrated when she has to dig out change to give to gringos who pay for something that cost 103 pesos with a 500 peso note.

One peso coins are reserved for the guy in the wheelchair with the tin can................depending on his location: in front of the Banco Popular in the morning and in front of the Jewish Museum (by the Casa Marina) in the afternoon :lol:.

Seville
08-14-2012, 11:12 AM
30 pesos is a great rate. But my question is - how does one get 30 pesos in Sosua?:rofl:

I rarely carry less than a 50 peso note on me. In the DR (like in Mexico) it can be hard to get small change. In my 2 weeks in Sosua I only got a 20 peso bill two times and a 25 peso coin maybe three or four times.

Smaller change I dispense of quickly. 5 and 10 peso coins I like to use in the small Playero market. I know the cashier in there can get frustrated when she has to dig out change to give to gringos who pay for something that cost 103 pesos with a 500 peso note.

One peso coins are reserved for the guy in the wheelchair with the tin can................depending on his location: in front of the Banco Popular in the morning and in front of the Jewish Museum (by the Casa Marina) in the afternoon :lol:.

You do that precisely so you can get change. I never use less that a 1000 peso note in the Playero regardless of what I am buying. It becomes second nature to constantly break down bigger bills for smaller bills and coins.

Irie
08-14-2012, 11:25 AM
You do that precisely so you can get change. I never use less that a 1000 peso note in the Playero regardless of what I am buying. It becomes second nature to constantly break down bigger bills for smaller bills and coins.

Exactly! It only took me one trip to figure that one out. I never get 2000 notes when changing and I almost always pull out a 1000 or 500 when paying a bill. When they tell you they don't have change, tell them you don't either. They'll almost always find.

You'll have a mountain of small bills/ coins in no time.

JD426
08-14-2012, 12:19 PM
I do it, but the smaller places always make me feel guilty about it, so then i started just doing it in Super PLayero, where I dont feel guilty at all and cause they have tons of change. Heck , I enjoy paying for a 20 peso bottle of water with $400 USD. ." make change for that , and make it snappy, and dont be trying to give me any of those blue bills either" . LOL...

MrHappy
08-14-2012, 12:25 PM
I do it, but the smaller places always make me feel guilty about it, so then i started just doing it in Super PLayero, where I dont feel guilty at all and cause they have tons of change. Heck , I enjoy paying for a 20 peso bottle of water with $400 USD. ." make change for that , and make it snappy, and dont be trying to give me any of those blue bills either" . LOL...

Businesses that don't have petty cash to start their day irritate me to no end. If they're that stupid when it comes to running a business, I have no problem at all waiting for them while they run around and find change for my big bill.

I usually always have a 1000 peso bill in my shirt pocket, so they don't see my money clip and money when I go to pay.

I hand them that, and say, "sorry, no tengo mas"

JD426
08-14-2012, 12:31 PM
U know You right Mr Happy, and there is always a KID in the store doing nothing anyway, so let HIM run out and get the darn change, why should my lazy gringo Blanco Ass have to go run all around town for it .. I'll just Peruse the Drink isle of the store til he gets back, I dont have a problem with that. Heck ill gladly even give him a 25+ peso Tip.

weyland
08-14-2012, 12:38 PM
In March, a Dominicana amiga and I got into a publico at Sosua to go to La Sirena in POP. The driver was charging the other Dominicans in the taxi 50 pesos each, but he charged me and my amiga 100 pesos each.........:wtf1: . So I whispered to my amiga "Why is he charging us double the fare?" and she says "Because we are going farther then where the other passengers are getting dropped off". I think to myself "that is :bs:". I knew La Sirena was only a few minutes away from the main drop-off point.

The right price in daytime is 45 pesos to La Javilla which is the furthest point from Sosua but not regarded as a "terminal". If you stay with the cab to the nearest point to La Sirena they would be entitled to charge you a bit more, say 15 to 25 each

And to make matters worse, we got into the same publico to get back to Sosua ... and he charged us 200 pesos again
From near La Sirena to Sosua should be 45 pesos, unless the taxi stops at the hospital and you have to change. This rarely happens but if it happens they might charge you 25 for the first leg or they might give you a free ride to the hospital. Depends if they like your face. From the hospital to Sosua it is 45 pesos.

j_d66
08-14-2012, 12:51 PM
I have noticed at several of the little change booths that they will give you change for 500RD at no charge but they wont do more than 500RD at a time.

Most of the change guys on the street seem to want a cut no matter what you are changing with them.

The supermarket change tip is a good one and works well.

steviewonder
08-14-2012, 03:16 PM

There was a time when the supermarkets could only give you chiclets for change:mad:

Shogun Warrior
08-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Bottom line, it is fucking irritating as hell. Waitresses/Bartenders are the worst. Same tactic as always. Get the money from you, go to the register and get change. She has your change in her hand then she puts her hand on her hip, turns sideways and start yapping with the girl on the register. The entire conversation is fake as all hell but nonetheless.............this same ol' tired tactic is the preferred method. You wait, keep glancing making occassional eye contact with the register girl to ensure she knows "I'm not Falling for this Bullshit" then your change arrives. I then give the change to the shoe shine kids on the street 10 PESO at a time.

An Elflow waiter (That I tipped very well in the past) shitted me once claiming I did not pay my bill for about 200-300 PESO. He alleged I was very drunk and forgot. Sure, no problem I paid the bill. .....................And he has not seen me since for 2 yrs now. He has attitude at me because I never drink there anymore.

You provide good service to me in Sosua, you will make mucho money. You fuck me, the money is cut off and I tell all my friends. How hard is that to figure out?

blazaveli
08-14-2012, 04:08 PM
I was purposedly on edge since reading this thread as I ordered a large Presidente over the weekend cause I was giving the dude a 1000 peso bill. I looked at him dead in the eyes with a serious face and said.. Cuanto Es? And than as he stretched out his hand for the bill I held on it for a second to utter "mi cambio" in a don't fuck with me voice before I let the bill go. Needless to say I kept an eye on the dude as he left and he was back in less than 2 minutes with my full change. I might have scared him a little in retrospect. :rofl::rofl: Not sure if its the same dude yall talking about or not though.

Seville
08-14-2012, 07:32 PM
The right price in daytime is 45 pesos to La Javilla which is the furthest point from Sosua but not regarded as a "terminal". If you stay with the cab to the nearest point to La Sirena they would be entitled to charge you a bit more, say 15 to 25 each

From near La Sirena to Sosua should be 45 pesos, unless the taxi stops at the hospital and you have to change. This rarely happens but if it happens they might charge you 25 for the first leg or they might give you a free ride to the hospital. Depends if they like your face. From the hospital to Sosua it is 45 pesos.

It is all about knowing what shit costs. That is what this board is for. You should not be asking the moto or publico driver how much. You should just be handing him the correct amount and walking away. It is not rocket science.

Irie
08-14-2012, 07:41 PM
It is all about knowing what shit costs. That is what this board is for. You should not be asking the moto or publico driver how much. You should just be handing him the correct amount and walking away. It is not rocket science.

No offense, but were you always this astute? :rolleyes:

Agreed, this board is a wealth of information. From reading here and meeting members (like yourself), my knowledge has grown exponentially on the ways of mongering and definitely sosua and surrounding.

We all start somewhere I guess. :wink:

SeaWeed
08-14-2012, 09:26 PM
It is all about knowing what shit costs. You should not be asking the moto or publico driver how much.
same with Chicas.......you don't ever ask how much......you tell them how much you pay........

DASBOOTY
08-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I have noticed at several of the little change booths that they will give you change for 500RD at no charge but they wont do more than 500RD at a time.

Most of the change guys on the street seem to want a cut no matter what you are changing with them.

Another good place to get change during the day is at Merengue club.

I go there, get a gatorade or bottle of water, shoot the shit with the barmaid for a bit, and she will make change for me.

Seville
08-15-2012, 12:06 PM
No offense, but were you always this astute? :rolleyes:

Agreed, this board is a wealth of information. From reading here and meeting members (like yourself), my knowledge has grown exponentially on the ways of mongering and definitely sosua and surrounding.

We all start somewhere I guess. :wink:

Of course not. We all do start somewhere. But there is no reason an ISOC member should not know the cost of basic services in and around the Sosua area. All you have to do is read or ask.

steviewonder
08-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Another good source for changing up big bills is at the Texaco station (next to Metro). The attendants there are usually holding plenty of 500,100, and 50 bills to exchange:iconTU:

dr1lvr
08-15-2012, 04:23 PM
When I was in Sosua in March I went to Rumba bar one night and ordered three drinks from the waiter. The cost was 220 pesos and I gave him 400 pesos (two 200 peso notes). I waited 45 minutes for my 180 pesos in change before I got fed up and asked him "where is my change". He acted surprised but gave me my change and I tipped him 50 pesos.

I was in Rumba Friday night with my chica and ordered a drink from the same waiter. The cost was 150 pesos and I gave him a 200 peso note. Once again, the fucker didn't bring me my change. For 30 minutes I observed as he took orders from tables with Dominicanas and Haitianas and promptly returned their change.

I wanted to order another drink and my chica called over a female waiter. I pointed out to her the other waiter and told her he had not given me back my change. She sent him over to my table and I told him he owed me 50 pesos. He did not have any 50 peso notes, so I gave him a 50 peso note in exchange for a 100 peso note (NO TIP).

The waiter in question is short, skinny, about 25-30 years old and scurries around Rumba like the Roadrunner (not when it comes to bringing my change though :rofl:).

While all of this may seem to some to be petty on my part, if we don't stand up to them on self-tipping, short-changing, and bill-padding etc., some of them will keep on trying to take advantage of gringos.

I happened to be in Sosua last week and was waited on by "said" waiter.

When I received my bill of 330 pesos, I handed him the 500 peso note and then told him that he is gaining a reputation of not giving back change and self-tipping. To this he told me that this only happened with 1 customer, in his memory, and that is a larger white-guy with tattoos. (If this is you, this is what he told me)

Apparently the customer had a bill had and handed him 500 pesos. Next, said customer left the establishment only to have the girl he was talking to attempt to claim the change. In an effort of safe-keeping the money he denied giving the change to the chica said customer was talking with, instead waiting for said customer to collect the change himself.

Once said customer came back to Rhumba the waiter then gave him his change.

Max (the waiter), said that a few people relayed this story to him and that he would like to meet with said customer and get the story straight.

FWIW, I have no dog in the fight. I just thought that his side needed to be told as he spent close to 5 minutes recounting the incident to me.

BTW- he gave me correct change

DASBOOTY
08-15-2012, 05:08 PM
I happened to be in Sosua last week and was waited on by "said" waiter.

When I received my bill of 330 pesos, I handed him the 500 peso note and then told him that he is gaining a reputation of not giving back change and self-tipping. To this he told me that this only happened with 1 customer, in his memory, and that is a larger white-guy with tattoos. (If this is you, this is what he told me)

Apparently the customer had a bill had and handed him 500 pesos. Next, said customer left the establishment only to have the girl he was talking to attempt to claim the change. In an effort of safe-keeping the money he denied giving the change to the chica said customer was talking with, instead waiting for said customer to collect the change himself.

Once said customer came back to Rhumba the waiter then gave him his change.

Max (the waiter), said that a few people relayed this story to him and that he would like to meet with said customer and get the story straight.

FWIW, I have no dog in the fight. I just thought that his side needed to be told as he spent close to 5 minutes recounting the incident to me.

BTW- he gave me correct change

No, that wasn't me. I don't have any tats.

But, thanks for looking into the matter :iconTU:.

Gutter Meat
04-14-2013, 01:00 AM
This type of shit is standard operational procedure in the DR. This is why I like to give exact change when possible. They always take their sweet as time returning change and hope you just forget about it. When they pull this shit they get no tip from me. If they owe you change, they should give you your change before they start taking other orders. Trust me it's no accident, they just hope you forget about your change in the mix of everything.

TNT72
04-14-2013, 01:43 AM
This type of shit is standard operational procedure in the DR. This is why I like to give exact change when possible. They always take their sweet as time returning change and hope you just forget about it. When they pull this shit they get no tip from me. If they owe you change, they should give you your change before they start taking other orders. Trust me it's no accident, they just hope you forget about your change in the mix of everything.

Nice of you to bump a six month old thread. Especially with that great knowledge!

I usually have correct change, but I prefer to put myself through all the bullshit of giving the waiter way too many pesos, and then enjoying my 20 to 30 minute wait for my change!!

Irie
04-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Nice of you to bump a six month old thread. Especially with that great knowledge!

I usually have correct change, but I prefer to put myself through all the bullshit of giving the waiter way too many pesos, and then enjoying my 20 to 30 minute wait for my change!!

Waiting for change??? What I can't stand is the 20 or 30 minutes (feels like it anyway) wait to get the order! This usually after 10 minutes negotiating the placement of said order. :rofl:

JD426
04-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Waiting for change??? What I can't stand is the 20 or 30 minutes (feels like it anyway) wait to get the order! This usually after 10 minutes negotiating the placement of said order. :rofl:

Are we still talking about Rumba ? I have never waited for even more than 5 minutes to get my order of food next door where they have burgers and chicken, and late at night, its a good spot to chill. The food is OK, not really anything to brag about, but when you hungry it does the trick and I never got sick from there.
The manager ( Jerry Garcia, LOL) .. hes good people and would straighten out any shit or self tipping nonsense , with some fool waiter. Never had any problems there.

Irie
04-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Are we still talking about Rumba ? I have never waited for even more than 5 minutes to get my order of food next door where they have burgers and chicken, and late at night, its a good spot to chill. The food is OK, not really anything to brag about, but when you hungry it does the trick and I never got sick from there.
The manager ( Jerry Garcia, LOL) .. hes good people and would straighten out any shit or self tipping nonsense , with some fool waiter. Never had any problems there.

I've never had much of a problem........if its a party of three or less. Two weeks ago we walked in 5+ strong, grabbed a table, and attempted to order drinks. It was funny to watch the waiter because by the time he got around the table, he had to start again due to forgetting the first part of the order. I think I requested my Presidente Light (grande) three times! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Short term memory is definitely not a forte.

JD426
04-14-2013, 12:06 PM
U would think they would write that shit down on those little order pads or something.. Party of 3 or more, write it down..
How hard is that..

wait, its the DR...and im using logic again..

what was I thinking..
:rofl:

deezl
04-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Because of the delay in getting change (and sometimes a long delay just to get the waiter to come over so you can pay your bill) I have a new policy - when I'm ready to pay I just wait to see the waiter at the bar (because that's usually the easiest place to find them) and I ask for the bill there, they give it to me, I pay, I get my change, I go. No waiting, no hassle.

Apos
04-14-2013, 02:31 PM
I also pay for each drink/round as we get them so that there is no tab to be fucked with. This goes for pretty much any place where we're just drinking except Rocky's and a couple of other places where I'm confident that I won't get ripped off.

Because of the delay in getting change (and sometimes a long delay just to get the waiter to come over so you can pay your bill) I have a new policy - when I'm ready to pay I just wait to see the waiter at the bar (because that's usually the easiest place to find them) and I ask for the bill there, they give it to me, I pay, I get my change, I go. No waiting, no hassle.

When asked my advice is to always pay as you go...chicas, drinks...same policy :D

BrooklynBeas
04-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Deal with Freddy and you have no problems... Very simple... Last trip, he got to know me so well, he knew what I wanted and when I wanted it... When you get good service, you should give a good tip, and that's what he got from me... Most likely, thats why he always gave me great service...

P.S. The salt and black pepper chicken wings were banging!

MrHappy
04-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Deal with Freddy and you have no problems... Very simple... Last trip, he got to know me so well, he knew what I wanted and when I wanted it... When you get good service, you should give a good tip, and that's what he got from me... Most likely, thats why he always gave me great service...

Now that sounds good!

dr1lvr
04-14-2013, 06:30 PM

Problem is that Freddy is SLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!! I get my own drinks from the bar when Freddy waits on my table!!

BrooklynBeas
04-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Problem is that Freddy is SLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!! I get my own drinks from the bar when Freddy waits on my table!!

In my experience, he was great... If a waiter brings me a handful of napkins, changes my ashtray when close to full, or asks me if I want something when he sees my bottle of beer or rum getting low, is my type of bartender/waiter... He also knew that I liked melon flavor gatorade, so when they had it in stock, he asked if I wanted any...

MrHappy
04-14-2013, 07:39 PM
In my experience, he was great... If a waiter brings me a handful of napkins, changes my ashtray when close to full, or asks me if I want something when he sees my bottle of beer or rum getting low, is my type of bartender/waiter... He also knew that I liked melon flavor gatorade, so when they had it in stock, he asked if I wanted any...

Huh? What??

TNT72
04-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Huh? What??

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hey! It wasn't me that went there, this time!!

deezl
04-14-2013, 07:58 PM
the melon gatorade is the best. fuck you guys.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(no, seriously. it's fucking gooood)

MrHappy
04-14-2013, 07:59 PM

Do you like wine coolers too???:lol::lol::lol:

deezl
04-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Do you like wine coolers too???:lol::lol::lol:

it's like soda with booze in it, what's not to like?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

BrooklynBeas
04-14-2013, 08:09 PM
We all have to keep hydrated in the DR heat, so gatorade or water is what I do it with... If im hydrated, I may use the melon gatorade as a mixer with rum if not red bull or sprite... Dont think I ever had and dont know if they even sell melon gatorade in the US... I got it by accident the first time out there, and then loved it...

whynotme
04-14-2013, 08:26 PM

when i do bar crawls in the phillipines i drink a lot of gatorade:corky:

plus a little bit of cc:wink: (canadian club rye whisky)

i hate drinking water. ( i get my water from ice cubes:corky:)

Desiguy
04-14-2013, 08:55 PM
I think I know which guy you are talking about. He is friends with Abel.