PDA

View Full Version : Six Reasons why Ex-Pats are leaving the DR

Sidney
08-27-2012, 09:17 AM
6 Main Reasons why Expats are selling up and leaving the Dominican Republic

http://www.nicepeoplenetworking.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/airplane-taking-off-300x225.jpg (http://www.nicepeoplenetworking.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/airplane-taking-off.jpg)
“Everything is for sale!”
Reasons for leaving:
1) To renew either their temporary or permanent residency’s, has become a big dirty let-down by the government, as they are now going back on their past promises of supplying Gringo’s either their up-coming “permanent residency” or to renew actual permanent residency’s without too much hassle or lawyers involvement. Gringo’s are now asked to re-supply all their documents as a “cover-up” by the Governments immigration, who’s lost thousands of foreigners records both on their PC’s and papers I.e. birth certificates, police records etc… and everyone is now being kicked back to zero, having to prove clean police record, re-do all the medicals, find witnesses of good character and supply proof of financial independence – and some would even have to travel back to their home country to receive new birth certificates (I.e. Russia, Ukraine etc…) – in other words a lot hassle, unfair expenses, frustration and life interrupting nonsense!

2) They are sick of being manipulated by the Government Owned power company, who especially with property owners, can use their monopoly position to violate customers in every nasty way possible. If you have been to pay your power bill a few times, then you would be sure to hear higly upset customers who have suddenly received some ridiculously high power bill or business owners being victims of ridiculous ongoing charges (and law suits if they don’t keep paying!). According to some locals latest frustrations, the power company is now getting really sophisticated in ripping us all off, as they are now replacing our existing “meters” with some new ones that effect our power bill in such a way that customers bills are tripling. In other words, brace yourself for their new sophisticated rip-off scheme! (They probably hired some scumbag who knows how to make the meters run faster based on the same electricity consumption – rat bags!).

3) Especially Expats who work or run businesses here on the North Coast, have over the past few years noticed how the Government, local Mayors and their armed forces, have gradually killed off business, Tourism and foreign investment. Most of the business focused expats are realizing, that if they took a couple of steps back and moved onto a country with stable rules and a healthy economy, then even with working less hours and applying the same skills, they could fairly quickly bounce back and start earning 5-10+ times as much as they currently earn in this pathetic economy. Leaving expats also miss the ability to afford relaxed time out with their kids and family, to dine out and to buy/repair stuff when needed and not when the purse allows it! Just because there is sun and beaches nearby, doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone has the ability to kick back and enjoy it all, as now that earnings are getting smaller and the cost of living is simultaneously increasing, then pampering oneself and one’s family, becomes a hard to reach luxury. They are also sick of experiencing or seeing Police extort money and their continued harassment of Girls walking between bars and the rough treatment of Haitians.

4) Leaving Expats also voice that they are sick of Dominicans, local traders and a large percentage of shifty fellow expats ripping them off. Unfortunately a lot of traders and businesses on the North Coast, seem to think that survival in business is only possible if they engage in Lying, cheating, stealing and letting people down! These culprits are found from the motorconcho driver, right through to the Government. This region especially is known globally by many as the “pit” for many national and international scumbags – what a shame!

5) Daily there’s Racism and clasism being displayed by Dominicans on foreigners, especially by the various Police forces, Fiscal offices and even the courts. Examples of this ranges from traffic Police targeting “Gringo’s” over laws that often don’t exist, or for laws that they don’t pull Dominicans over for. Others find that if they counter sue after having won their freedom from a Malicious criminal or civil legal attack, then the sentence never comes through, especially if the Gringo is up against a Dominican. Police and a list of self-proclaimed inspectors will harass Gringo business owners for large sums of money, or they will use their connections to get them shut down! Many Expats have found themselves being locked up for the most pathetic or unfair things I.e. Bringing a person they saw in a traffic accident to the hospital, only to be withheld for paying the bill and then the police arrests them till they clear up what actually happened (keep driving fellow Gringo!). The fact is, that pretty much anything you get involved with, you always have to fight to get equal treatment or the same price as your Dominican neighbor – and that sucks! “When it’s rotten from bottom to top, then it’s game over for the Gringo!”.

6) Expats who are leaving also voice that they miss the abundance of cultural initiatives, watching skilled street performers in action, whether musicians, jugglers, clowns, artists, stunts, motor-animal or sports races. Also they miss theatre, cinema’s, abundance of choices in sports and watching skilled artists in action. Also the urge is strong to return to a society where honor, productivity, long-term business mentality, sucess, love and law has a meaning to a much larger percentage of people in society. Many insist to find a new country that still offers all year round sun and clear water but this time a place that offers a lot more of the initiatives mentioned earlier in “point 6″.
“Life is short even at it’s longest!” “Only the dreamers are awake, the rest are sleeping!” - Happy travels fellow Gringo’s!!
Author: Anonymous-------------------Source---NPN:mad:

MrHappy
08-27-2012, 09:53 AM
The electricity situation is what really worries me. Even with all the advances that have been made with getting people to pay for their electricity, and all of the subsidies the gov't has paid.. the outstanding bill to the generators is at 1 billion DOLLARS.(not pesos)

All of that is basically due to contracts that have been negotiated in the past, that grossly favor the generators(probably to pay kick backs) and required the govt to pay for electricity whether it's produced or not.

Something has to give, and it will have to be very soon.

weyland
08-27-2012, 10:32 AM
No 6 is a bit weird, especially the bit about "skilled street performers in action, whether musicians, jugglers, clowns, artists, stunts, motor-animal or sports races ..." I cannot imagine many people making that a priority reason to change their country of residence. A much more important reason not listed is the increasing prevalence of crime and the extreme unlikelihood of resolution or compensation.

brovo35
08-27-2012, 10:57 AM
No 6 is a bit weird, especially the bit about "skilled street performers in action, whether musicians, jugglers, clowns, artists, stunts, motor-animal or sports races ..." I cannot imagine many people making that a priority reason to change their country of residence. A much more important reason not listed is the increasing prevalence of crime and the extreme unlikelihood of resolution or compensation.

Lack of clowns and jugglers seems like a plus to me! Throw lack of mimes in and you may attract a few more people to become residents. :).

el toro
08-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Does this mean you're getting out of DR too Sidney? Or do you consider yourself just one who takes really long vacations there?

greydread
08-27-2012, 11:38 AM

No shit.

We'll gladly trade our clowns for their Ho's.

Sidney
08-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Does this mean you're getting out of DR too Sidney? Or do you consider yourself just one who takes really long vacations there?

Long vacations until they throw me out------ or ------if AR has a much needed big devaluation!:lol:

dquick
08-27-2012, 12:43 PM
The REAL TRUTH, is that the very things which make life tough for an expat in the DR, is keeping down the cost of pussy in the DR.

Lack of new foreign investment, ineffective government, corruption, and poor infrastructure contribute to a poor dominican economy. This causes high unemployment and the DR currency to drop versus other world currencies. These things keep putas in the streets and keeps Mongers buying power high.

As long as DR remains relatively safe, Mongers will continue to travel to the DR and some will continue to move to the DR and open a business or retire. The only question is how long will the average expat stay.

Mr. Smooth
08-27-2012, 02:20 PM
In reading this post, I find it unusual that only Sidney is posting this info for comments. For all the regular posters on this board who live there, what is your status in regards to all these new regulations? Will everyone who has lived there for a long time who is not an official resident, have to leave the country and pay whatever overstay fee they have accumulated beyond their initial passport stamp date, then gather any and all documentation necessary in your home country before returning and paying all fees to get "legal" with the DR?

When I was leaving from a trip last year, as I was being stamped by an immigration officer at the POP airport before walking toward the departure gate, I asked her if it was possible to stay as long as I wanted past the 30 days stamp as long as I paid the fine listed above depending on the amount of time you overstayed. She said, "Si, no problema." When I asked if doing that I would not get in any trouble, she repeated no problem.

Am I to assume that doing that is no longer tolerated or allowed?

Sidney
08-27-2012, 08:31 PM
When I was leaving from a trip last year, as I was being stamped by an immigration officer at the POP airport before walking toward the departure gate, I asked her if it was possible to stay as long as I wanted past the 30 days stamp as long as I paid the fine listed above depending on the amount of time you overstayed. She said, "Si, no problema." When I asked if doing that I would not get in any trouble, she repeated no problem.

Am I to assume that doing that is no longer tolerated or allowed?We don't know? All seems to at the discretion of every official. The will be some abuse !:mad: Power corrupts!:mad::mad:

el_papi_chew_low
08-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Is there a growing violence problem that worries folks? I noticed, for instance, this dude getting shot/killed outside El Flow recently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N25gbUlOhNQ

questner
08-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Wait, were they leaving Argentina?

Oh, no, they are living Hispaniola, ... since XVI century...to Mexico, Colombia...

In fact, with recent changes to immigration in Panama, and upcoming changing to immigration in Brazil, the competition is stepping up.

deezl
08-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Is there a growing violence problem that worries folks? I noticed, for instance, this dude getting shot/killed outside El Flow recently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N25gbUlOhNQ

It seems like the scamming incidents are up, not sure about the violence. Haven't really heard an increased amount of violence towards expats & tourists and I think that would be the thing to watch out for. Local lowlifes killing other local lowlifes - that shit's been going on forever.