PDA

View Full Version : Scam in POP Airport

dquick
09-07-2012, 12:24 PM
I just flew out of Puerto Plata Airport yesterday and saw a new scam. I checked in normally, went through security and customs with no problems. I passed the duty free and went up the escalator, towards the gates. At the top of the gate, a Dominican was set up at a counter with a sign that said "Exit Tax $20". The sign looked official and there were two AI tourist at the desk paying the guy. The guy looked at me and I gave him a dirty look and walked right past him. The guy did not say one word to me.

For those who do not know, THERE IS NO EXIT TAX IN DR. You pay $10 for a tourist card and that is it!

I kept my mouth shut about the scam in the airport. This guy had to pay off somebody in charge, to be set up inside the gate area.

Hanzo
09-07-2012, 12:26 PM
I just flew out of Puerto Plata Airport yesterday and saw a new scam. I checked in normally, went through security and customs with no problems. I passed the duty free and went up the escalator, towards the gates. At the top of the gate, a Dominican was set up at a counter with a sign that said "Exit Tax $20". The sign looked official and there were two AI tourist at the desk paying the guy. The guy looked at me and I gave him a dirty look and walked right past him. The guy did not say one word to me.

For those who do not know, THERE IS NO EXIT TAX IN DR. You pay $10 for a tourist card and that is it!

I kept my mouth shut about the scam in the airport. This guy had to pay off somebody in charge, to be set up inside the gate area.

There's an exit tax if you stay for more than 30 days. The tourist card is only valid for 30 days I believe, anything after that is subject to tax. I think staying from 30 days up to 6 months, the tax is 800 pesos.

JuanElGriego
09-07-2012, 12:36 PM
There's an exit tax if you stay for more than 30 days. The tourist card is only valid for 30 days I believe, anything after that is subject to tax. I think staying from 30 days up to 6 months, the tax is 800 pesos.

Wouldnt that be something that would have to be paid elsewhere, like when your passport is being scanned to return home. How does that guy know who's stayed there how long? Why didn't he say a thing to Dquick?

dquick
09-07-2012, 12:39 PM

True, but they check this right before you go through imigration. This is why the Imigration agent asks for your passport before you go up to the desk for a stamp. They are checking the date of your entrance stamp.

This guy was set up a the top of the escalator, in the gate area. You are out of the imigration area at this point.

WickedWillie
09-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Change the thread title. It's not a scam. There is a US$20 departure tax. There has been a counter to pay this in the departure lounge at POP for years.

Most scheduled airlines include this in your ticket price while most charter airlines do not.

So if you fly scheduled service you most likely will never have even noticed either the charge or the place to pay it.

The guy didn't stop or say anything to DQ as most tourists who travel charter are told to seek out where to pay in the departure lounge at check-in if it is applicable to them.

This departure tax is totally different from visa/tourist card overstay fees.

deezl
09-07-2012, 12:52 PM

Actually, there IS a $20 departure tax in the DR - but it's (nearly always) included in your airfare for the sake of convenience. Charters are an exception (and a lot of the planes that fly in from Canada are charters).

Not saying you're wrong about this guy being a scammer, but there is a fee.

deezl
09-07-2012, 12:52 PM
WW beat me to it.

balcoach
09-07-2012, 02:43 PM
So many people think they might be getting scammed or screwed. Let's educate ourselves before we start making accusations.

And if you feel you are being scammed in the DR, then there is a simple solution....Don't come back!

Just like the table of expats that sit around and bitch about this and that in the DR... LEAVE if you don't like it, change the channel if you don't like the TV show you are watching...

Thats my rant of the day!!! Whheeeewwww!

dbneon
09-07-2012, 04:32 PM
So many people think they might be getting scammed or screwed. Let's educate ourselves before we start making accusations.

And if you feel you are being scammed in the DR, then there is a simple solution....Don't come back!

Just like the table of expats that sit around and bitch about this and that in the DR... LEAVE if you don't like it, change the channel if you don't like the TV show you are watching...

Thats my rant of the day!!! Whheeeewwww!
This is not really a very appropriate solution, is it? Not go back because one dude scammed you out of $20 (supposedly)? That doesn't mean that being scammed should just be accepted neither.

Though it sounds like the OP was wrong on this one.

balcoach
09-07-2012, 05:19 PM
This is not really a very appropriate solution, is it? Not go back because one dude scammed you out of $20 (supposedly)? That doesn't mean that being scammed should just be accepted neither.

Though it sounds like the OP was wrong on this one.

It wasn't a scam at all....check the info above.

Have a nice day.

dquick
09-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Now I did not see any other flight leaving at the time I was at the airport...but I could be wrong. Maybe if i went to the desk and pulled out $20, the guy would not have take my money. Doubt it...but I could be wrong about that too.

Now I know there is a legit exit fee. I flew AA, I assume this exit fee in included, but can't tell from the receipt or AA's website. Besides trusting the word of the guy at the desk, how is a new person suppose to know he did not owe that tax? As I said, the desk was located right as you get off the escalator.

natmatt
09-07-2012, 08:42 PM
There is an exit tax like the others have reported.

When I was going through immigration on a return trip last year, the
agent at the desk that check my passport told me that I had to pay
a tax because he could not find the arrival date stamp in my passport
because on entry they stamped it on a page that was full of stamps.
He referred me to another agent and i showed him the entry stamp
and my boarding pass for arrival flight. The other agent told me that
I did not have to pay and explained why the original agent told me that
I had to pay the tax.

So, to make a long story short, the agent that stamps your passport
on exit will tell you if you have to pay an exit tax.

balcoach
09-07-2012, 08:58 PM
There is an exit tax like the others have reported.

When I was going through immigration on a return trip last year, the
agent at the desk that check my passport told me that I had to pay
a tax because he could not find the arrival date stamp in my passport
because on entry they stamped it on a page that was full of stamps.
He referred me to another agent and i showed him the entry stamp
and my boarding pass for arrival flight. The other agent told me that
I did not have to pay and explained why the original agent told me that
I had to pay the tax.

So, to make a long story short, the agent that stamps your passport
on exit will tell you if you have to pay an exit tax.

Ok... lets clear this up.

Exit tax/fee: is $20 and is included in the cost of commercial airline tickets. If you look at the taxes and fee's portion of the original purchase, it will be listed there. If you fly in on a charter (the majorit are from canada) they charge this fee because it was not included in the cost of the trip, the normal charter fliers purchase and all included (flight, hotel, transfer) package the exit tax is not included in this cost.

What NatMatt is referring to is a fine for Over Staying your TOURIST VISA. US citizens have 30 days in-country (and i believe canadiens 60), once you have eclipsed this time frame, you must pay a fine. there is a scale... 31 days to 3 months: 800 pesos, 3-9 months: 1000 pesos and etc... my longest stay before I cleaned my passport has been 7 months so I had to pay 1000 peso fine at the immigration booth where they stamp your passport on the way out. My last trip was just over 70 days , and I paid the 800 pesos. If you over stay, know how much you owe to avoid getting "SCAMMED" by the immigratiion officers jajajajaj

I hope this has cleared up the difference in the two items being discussed.

blazaveli
09-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Based on the facts that numerous people have dropped in this thread its cleared there is such a thing as an Exit or departure tax.

With that said... Some of yall need to hold your horses on determining that Dquick is 100% wrong. Personally, there are some questions that I would like answered before I can determine that for myself. Why have I or NO One that I've ever encountered leaving DR ever mentioned this transaction with a dude sitting at the exit escalator collecting the cash for this charge before? We've all talked about the entrance fee of $10 on occasion but never this?? Did they just decided to create a new way of collecting this tax? Was this guy always around and no one ever paid attention?? So we get that there is such a charge and its legit but does that mean that this dude who's setting up shop to collect that Dquick saw was actually a legit collector of the charge???

DCIronman
09-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Based on the facts that numerous people have dropped in this thread its cleared there is such a thing as an Exit or departure tax.

With that said... Some of yall need to hold your horses on determining that Dquick is 100% wrong. Personally, there are some questions that I would like answered before I can determine that for myself. Why have I or NO One that I've ever encountered leaving DR ever mentioned this transaction with a dude sitting at the exit escalator collecting the cash for this charge before? We've all talked about the entrance fee of $10 on occasion but never this?? Did they just decided to create a new way of collecting this tax? Was this guy always around and no one ever paid attention?? So we get that there is such a charge and its legit but does that mean that this dude who's setting up shop to collect that Dquick saw was actually a legit collector of the charge???

Because, as Balcoach so thoroughly explained, the departure tax is always included in the price of the ticket with most flights from the US.

Contrary to what Dquick posted, the departure tax is real, not a scam. But most of us flying from the US will never have to deal with it. It's been this way for the 10+ years I've been flying to the DR.

There's really nothing else to discuss. The facts have been laid out pretty clearly.

Kevy
09-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Ok... lets clear this up.

Exit tax/fee: is $20 and is included in the cost of commercial airline tickets. If you look at the taxes and fee's portion of the original purchase, it will be listed there. If you fly in on a charter (the majorit are from canada) they charge this fee because it was not included in the cost of the trip, the normal charter fliers purchase and all included (flight, hotel, transfer) package the exit tax is not included in this cost.

What NatMatt is referring to is a fine for Over Staying your TOURIST VISA. US citizens have 30 days in-country (and i believe canadiens 60), once you have eclipsed this time frame, you must pay a fine. there is a scale... 31 days to 3 months: 800 pesos, 3-9 months: 1000 pesos and etc... my longest stay before I cleaned my passport has been 7 months so I had to pay 1000 peso fine at the immigration booth where they stamp your passport on the way out. My last trip was just over 70 days , and I paid the 800 pesos. If you over stay, know how much you owe to avoid getting "SCAMMED" by the immigratiion officers jajajajaj

I hope this has cleared up the difference in the two items being discussed.
100 % correct. i paid the departure tax many times when i flew charter flight to the DR. they stamp your baording card and yo cannot get on the planewithout the stamp.

blazaveli
09-07-2012, 09:16 PM
I got you. No disputes from me on the facts. the charge is legit. But that still doesn't really make me say the dude Dquick saw was definitely not a scammer. Whats stopping a scammer from paying someone to get inside and setting up table and collecting money from someone who thinks they need to pay this? Why didn't he stop Dquick? How was everyone else paying this specific dude, directed to him?? Did Dquick need to pay this tax on his exit this trip?? Let's assume he did not because it was covered on his flight... He clearly could have stopped and paid and the dude would have taken his money... wouldnt he??

Because, as Balcoach so thoroughly explained, the departure tax is always included in the price of the ticket with most flights from the US.

Contrary to what Dquick posted, the departure tax is real, not a scam. But most of us flying from the US will never have to deal with it. It's been this way for the 10+ years I've been flying to the DR.

There's really nothing else to discuss. The facts have been laid out pretty clearly.

Citynights
09-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Now I did not see any other flight leaving at the time I was at the airport...but I could be wrong. Maybe if i went to the desk and pulled out $20, the guy would not have take my money. Doubt it...but I could be wrong about that too.

Now I know there is a legit exit fee. I flew AA, I assume this exit fee in included, but can't tell from the receipt or AA's website. Besides trusting the word of the guy at the desk, how is a new person suppose to know he did not owe that tax? As I said, the desk was located right as you get off the escalator.

I have seen people getting ready to board their flights & being told they go to desk & pay their exit fee in the past....depends if it is not included in your ticket...I think this happens when you just book a flight on a charter flight...the people that have vacation packages have the exit fee included...hope this helps the desk was located more towards the corner away from lounge & the fast food place...

DCIronman
09-07-2012, 09:44 PM
I got you. No disputes from me on the facts. the charge is legit. But that still doesn't really make me say the dude Dquick saw was definitely not a scammer. Whats stopping a scammer from paying someone to get inside and setting up table and collecting money from someone who thinks they need to pay this? Why didn't he stop Dquick? How was everyone else paying this specific dude, directed to him?? Did Dquick need to pay this tax on his exit this trip?? Let's assume he did not because it was covered on his flight... He clearly could have stopped and paid and the dude would have taken his money... wouldnt he??

Alright. I see what you're saying. But as has been posted, some travelers from other countries (not US) don't have the exit tax included in their tickets. Therefore, they do have to stop and pay someone upon leaving the DR. So who's to say that the guy Dquick saw collecting exit fees wasn't doing so legitimately? Personally, I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that he wasn't.

Now, I'm not saying the shit couldn't be conducted more efficiently (this is the DR). And who knows, the guy probably would've taken money from anyone who offered it to him. But who's fault is that? Really. The guy whose job it is to collect exit taxes? Or the clueless dumbass who just dishes out cash without checking to see whether or not he really has to?

No one is getting scammed in that situation. Someone was just uninformed, and therefore made an unnecessary (yet voluntary) donation to some local's presidente fund. :corky:

blazaveli
09-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Good points. I agree with you whole heartedly. And come to think of it most people who get scammed are usually those who are ill informed or don't know what the fuck their doing and leave themselves open to be taken advantage of. Which is prolly why Coach is telling them not to come back to DR :rofl:

Alright. I see what you're saying. But as has been posted, some travelers from other countries (not US) don't have the exit tax included in their tickets. Therefore, they do have to stop and pay someone upon leaving the DR. So who's to say that the guy Dquick saw collecting exit fees wasn't doing so legitimately? Personally, I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that he wasn't.

Now, I'm not saying the shit couldn't be conducted more efficiently (this is the DR). And who knows, the guy probably would've taken money from anyone who offered it to him. But who's fault is that? Really. The guy whose job it is to collect exit taxes? Or the clueless dumbass who just dishes out cash without checking to see whether or not he really has to?

No one is getting scammed in that situation. Someone was just uninformed, and therefore made an unnecessary (yet voluntary) donation to some local's presidente fund. :corky:

Si_Poppi
09-07-2012, 10:35 PM
This sounds like a scam to me.
The place to pay the departure tax is not at the top of the escalator.
There is a desk by one of the gates and if you weren`t looking for it you wouldn`t even know it was there.
Most tickets include it so it doesn`t make sense to have someone at the escalator attempting to collect from everybody.
And if they don`t pay they just walk by and board their flight without any issue?

Plus they know very well which flights don`t include this fee and they make sure it is paid before boarding.
From Toronto, if you are flying with Sunwing, you will need to show proof of payment before getting on the plane.
I am pretty sure that this is the only company here that does not include the fee, even though their taxes are as high as any others.

hugrad95a
09-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Man yall missing the biggest scam they have at the POP airport.. That good for nothing whole in the wall food stand... $7 dollars for a ham and cheese sandwich...No tostones, no pollo frito, no chimis' WTF.. The Santo Domingo airport is like Mortons compared to POP airport.. Damn can we get some better food at the POP airport.. WTF..

dquick
09-08-2012, 06:31 AM

Once I heard there was a legitimate exit tax, I went back and looked at my receipt from American Airline. This $20 exit tax is not itemized on my ticket. I also went on American Airlines website and started the process to book a ticket. The $20 exit tax is not itemized there either.

If this was my first trip to DR, I would have stopped at the desk and pulled out $20. There is no way I would have known not to pay the guy. As I keep saying, the guy was posted at the top of the escalator. If this was not my 15th (I think???) time flying out of this airport, I would have been donating to this guys presidente fund.

But enough said. The moral here is to know what you owe or you are going to get scammed.

rahsta
09-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Once I heard there was a legitimate exit tax, I went back and looked at my receipt from American Airline. This $20 exit tax is not itemized on my ticket. I also went on American Airlines website and started the process to book a ticket. The $20 exit tax is not itemized there either.

If this was my first trip to DR, I would have stopped at the desk and pulled out $20. There is no way I would have known not to pay the guy. As I keep saying, the guy was posted at the top of the escalator. If this was not my 15th (I think???) time flying out of this airport, I would have been donating to this guys presidente fund.

But enough said. The moral here is to know what you owe or you are going to get scammed.

Its a oxymoron.
LegalScam, How can someone just set up a booth at an international airport and just collect money with out being authorize by someone?

Si_Poppi
09-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Its a oxymoron.
LegalScam, How can someone just set up a booth at an international airport and just collect money with out being authorize by someone?Maybe it is a scam set up by some of the workers there to make some extra cash.
They probably only do it when there are no flights that didn`t include the fee and there is no need for anybody to man the real booth.
I`d like to see the reaction if Dquick had pulled out his camera and snapped some pics and a video.
It sure sounds like total bullshit to me.

El-Rey
09-08-2012, 09:41 AM
No its not a scam, If you get someone who actually works you gotta pay the $20 I have too many stamps so I just say I been here two weeks and they get bored of flipping through and let me roll.

Thanx Balcoach :rofl:

Si_Poppi
09-08-2012, 09:51 AM
No its not a scam, If you get someone who actually works you gotta pay the $20 I have too many stamps so I just say I been here two weeks and they get bored of flipping through and let me roll.

Thanx Balcoach :rofl:You are comparing apples and oranges unless you are claiming to have paid at the top of the escalator.

They stamp the boarding pass so how can you have too many stamps?
If you are talking about the immigration stamps in your passport, again, apples and oranges.

JD426
09-08-2012, 10:02 AM

Thanx Balcoach :rofl:

Why would they need to flip through the pages of your passport ? what are we in the dark ages , they dont scan it ??. all the info is right there on their Screen...

As far as this Dep Tax , it COULD be a Scam, but does not seem to be... Back in the '80's this WAS a BIG SCAM in JAMAICA (Im sure Seaweed can confirm).
You would get your bags, some guy would of course grab them without you even giving you a chance to say NO to him,, he would take them to your bus, where you would also be sold Red Stripe beer on the bus... And THEN the same dude or another, would approach you and SELL you DEPARTURE Tickets. I forget how much it was but I thought I remember like $24 ? Of course the little pieces of Paper were FAKE, and if you bought them you would be surrounded by Guys with Guns when you tried to use them, when you DEPARTERD the Country a week later... It was apparantly a HUGE ring at the time...

This POP booth to collect a departure tax thing, sounds legit UNTIL someone can prove that he PAID it already ON his ticket.

But who knows, in a country where Immigration is writing "TIP" on a piece of paper and smiling at you, while u are still sipping your complimentary RUM, at the exact point where you officially enter their Country, anything is possible..

El-Rey
09-08-2012, 10:05 AM
The people who stand before the immigration booth look at your passport to see what date it was stamped. Immigration just scans and stamps. Its a stupid system but Ive seen it at all three airports

Si_Poppi
09-08-2012, 10:24 AM
This POP booth to collect a departure tax thing, sounds legit UNTIL someone can prove that he PAID it already ON his ticket.
This doesn`t make sense.
I would be surprised if even 1 in 1000 people show up at the airport with proof that the departure tax is included in their ticket.

The booth, which is nowhere near the escalator, is legit.
If there is a flight that didn`t include the departure fee, there will be a guy at the booth waiting for people to come by and pay to get their boarding pass stamped so they can get on the plane.
He doesn`t tell anybody to pay.

Immigration stamps in a passport have nothing to do with the departure fee.
I sure hope nobody is clueless enough to be paying the person who stamps their passport.

JD426
09-08-2012, 10:27 AM
You know I can tell you every single step, upon arrival, but for the life of me I have to be honest I can NOT do the same for departure.. maybe cuz im too buzy wiping the tears from my eyes, I just get all emotional ,you know.. LOLLLLLLL

but seriously, at STI...
1)- you cant even walk in the building without filling out your paperwork after you check your Luggage, a guy at podium checks your boarding pass ,passport etc. you can now approach the Entrance...
2)-you walk TO the door, where a dude takes one of the forms, i think your customs form ?,he also checks your documents, SOMEtimes
3)- now you walk through the door, and a roped area you wait in line, while waiting in line a lady checks peoples documents,she is standing, no podium, and she is official, you can tell, because this is the point where I have seen people REMOVED from the line, sometimes even women and children... cuz the documents were NOT proper... they went to a room to the LEFT side somewhere to be interviewed in more detail..
4)- when you make it to the front of the roped off line, you see an official,who checks your passport in detail, they stamp it,. and you are now ready to go in, documents are done, they take the other form, which I believe it the immigration form
5)- you walk to the SECURITY area, where you either wait in a small line, usually there is none when i depart, you put your carry on items thru the Xray machine, you walk through the xray, and are either cleared, or bags searched ONE more time...this is when they take away the idiots shampoo Giant shampoo bottles ,etc.
6)- Once you clear the Security area, you are in the Duty free , shop , first floor area.. you are free to walk around, buy your microwaved quipe or whatever, grab some Napkins for the Tears about to come.. LOL
7)- you take the escalator UP stairs, to the BIG Boarding Gate Area where you can SIT and relax, get a Presidente in a Plastic cup, which looks like it does not hold a whole presidente, but amazingly it DOES... you gladly pay the 100 , I think its 110 pesos now ?.. there is a Nathans ? there but its always just closing when I depart... so you just sit there and become even more sad ....
8)- when they finally CALL your flight for boarding, you approach one of 2 podiums , where they check your Docs yet AGAIN... and they will now let you walk down a hallwayto the right, where the chute is ...
9)- when you reach the END of this Hallway,. they MAY check your carry on AGAIN,, not sure what they are looking for at this point,who knows maybe you decided to smuggle in a dozen presidente bottles to ease the pain
10)- a HOT chica, its always a fucking HOTTIE,, just to RUB it in your sobbing FACE,.. will now take your Boarding pass, and let you on the plane..so you can go back to yoru miserable existence in the US or wherever the fuck you come from.... your trip is over, the end.
time to start dreaming about the next one.

at least thats the way I remember it...

mtyjones94
09-08-2012, 11:32 AM

Wow, I'm amazed at how things work down here there's always a payoff just around the corner.

DCIronman
09-08-2012, 11:37 AM
This doesn`t make sense.
I would be surprised if even 1 in 1000 people show up at the airport with proof that the departure tax is included in their ticket.

The booth, which is nowhere near the escalator, is legit.
If there is a flight that didn`t include the departure fee, there will be a guy at the booth waiting for people to come by and pay to get their boarding pass stamped so they can get on the plane.
He doesn`t tell anybody to pay.

Immigration stamps in a passport have nothing to do with the departure fee.
I sure hope nobody is clueless enough to be paying the person who stamps their passport.

What's so confusing here?

As stated, it's listed among the taxes you pay when you purchase your ticket. And I always have a copy of that receipt in my carry-on bag (mostly because it has my itinerary on it). But I'll also carry a copy of my car rental reservation, my villa or hotel reservation, a copy of my passport, etc. Maybe I'm just anal. But I've learned to be prepared for any possible bullshit.

I also pay attention to what taxes I'm paying for when I buy my ticket. Not hurting for cash. I just like to know what I'm paying for. No one has to tell me what I do, or don't have to pay.

Though I'd like to think that I'm 1 in 1000, the reality is that many travelers come prepared with this type of info. They know they've already paid the tax, and can prove it.

DCIronman
09-08-2012, 11:42 AM
You know I can tell you every single step, upon arrival, but for the life of me I have to be honest I can NOT do the same for departure.. maybe cuz im too buzy wiping the tears from my eyes, I just get all emotional ,you know.. LOLLLLLLL

but seriously, at STI...
1)- you cant even walk in the building without filling out your paperwork after you check your Luggage, a guy at podium checks your boarding pass ,passport etc. you can now approach the Entrance...
2)-you walk TO the door, where a dude takes one of the forms, i think your customs form ?,he also checks your documents, SOMEtimes
3)- now you walk through the door, and a roped area you wait in line, while waiting in line a lady checks peoples documents,she is standing, no podium, and she is official, you can tell, because this is the point where I have seen people REMOVED from the line, sometimes even women and children... cuz the documents were NOT proper... they went to a room to the LEFT side somewhere to be interviewed in more detail..
4)- when you make it to the front of the roped off line, you see an official,who checks your passport in detail, they stamp it,. and you are now ready to go in, documents are done, they take the other form, which I believe it the immigration form
5)- you walk to the SECURITY area, where you either wait in a small line, usually there is none when i depart, you put your carry on items thru the Xray machine, you walk through the xray, and are either cleared, or bags searched ONE more time...this is when they take away the idiots shampoo Giant shampoo bottles ,etc.
6)- Once you clear the Security area, you are in the Duty free , shop , first floor area.. you are free to walk around, buy your microwaved quipe or whatever, grab some Napkins for the Tears about to come.. LOL
7)- you take the escalator UP stairs, to the BIG Boarding Gate Area where you can SIT and relax, get a Presidente in a Plastic cup, which looks like it does not hold a whole presidente, but amazingly it DOES... you gladly pay the 100 , I think its 110 pesos now ?.. there is a Nathans ? there but its always just closing when I depart... so you just sit there and become even more sad ....
8)- when they finally CALL your flight for boarding, you approach one of 2 podiums , where they check your Docs yet AGAIN... and they will now let you walk down a hallwayto the right, where the chute is ...
9)- when you reach the END of this Hallway,. they MAY check your carry on AGAIN,, not sure what they are looking for at this point,who knows maybe you decided to smuggle in a dozen presidente bottles to ease the pain
10)- a HOT chica, its always a fucking HOTTIE,, just to RUB it in your sobbing FACE,.. will now take your Boarding pass, and let you on the plane..so you can go back to yoru miserable existence in the US or wherever the fuck you come from.... your trip is over, the end.
time to start dreaming about the next one.

at least thats the way I remember it...

This has been my experience as well Judge. But I always fly into either SDQ or STI. And I'd imagine that there'd be a higher number of charter flights coming into an airport like POP. With the higher number of tourist flights and all. So you'd probably see more tourists paying the exit fee there.

dr1lvr
09-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Man yall missing the biggest scam they have at the POP airport.. That good for nothing whole in the wall food stand... $7 dollars for a ham and cheese sandwich...No tostones, no pollo frito, no chimis' WTF.. The Santo Domingo airport is like Mortons compared to POP airport.. Damn can we get some better food at the POP airport.. WTF..

Well then FLL is committing larceny due to $8 tuna half-sandwich....

Si_Poppi
09-08-2012, 12:25 PM
What's so confusing here?
As stated, it's listed among the taxes you pay when you purchase your ticket.
I have flown various charters from Toronto to Puerto Plata over many years, as have millions of other people, and I have never seen a breakdown of the nearly $400 in many taxes and fees that we pay.

DCIronman
09-08-2012, 01:47 PM
I have flown various charters from Toronto to Puerto Plata over many years, as have millions of other people, and I have never seen a breakdown of the nearly $400 in many taxes and fees that we pay.

I see. Well it's pretty clear on most flights from the US. No one flying on any major US flight should be confused.

$400 in taxes???:eek::eek::eek: Geez! That in itself sucks for Canadian travelers.

Well I'd suggest mongers flying on charter flight to be a bit more careful about who they're paying the exit tax to. Personally, I check (and double check) before I pay extra fees.

Bottom line. Don't just hand out money to people without knowing why?

Kevy
09-08-2012, 03:33 PM
the only real scam with this is that they will only take USD! I have seen many canadian AI tourists not have any usd when they travel have to go use the special atm in pop that dispenses usd for a fee of course.:icontd:

TNT72
09-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Here is the breakdown of the taxes on a ticket from Spirit. The departure tax is there.

Purchase Price

Flight
More Information ►
$17598

GOVERNMENT'S CUT
Less Information ▼
$15450

US-International Departure Tax
$33.40

DO-Airport Authority Fees
$30.00

DO - Airport Infrastructure Fee
$32.60

September 11th Security Fee
$7.50

Passenger Facility Fee
$13.50

DO-Departure Tax
$20.00

APHIS User Fee
$5.00

Immigration User Fee
$7.00

US Customs Fee
$5.50

TOTAL$33048

Ram
09-09-2012, 02:20 AM
On one of my early trips, I went to this desk with $20US to pay and they told me I did not have to pay....guy did not take my money. I have paid it on some flights but they usually announce it to the flight before boarding as most people do not know they have or dont have to pay it.

MrHappy
09-09-2012, 07:41 AM
On one of my early trips, I went to this desk with $20US to pay and they told me I did not have to pay....guy did not take my money. I have paid it on some flights but they usually announce it to the flight before boarding as most people do not know they have or dont have to pay it.

What? You mean he didn't try to SCAM you??

That's odd that he didn't try to SCAM you out of your money, and in the airport no less, where you are virtually defenseless against all of these scams.

It sure would be nice if one of you guys could take of picture of this scammer when you're leaving. I'd like to report him to the authorities.

eldorob
09-09-2012, 10:50 AM
What? You mean he didn't try to SCAM you??

That's odd that he didn't try to SCAM you out of your money, and in the airport no less,.

This guy should be reported to the authorities. That's not how they do things down there. :rofl:

As far as the guy at the top of the escalator, I've never seen him. Ever. And I've lost track how many trips I've made in the last 8 years. (somebody said he's been there a long time) But if he's there now, guarantee you that of the $20 fees he's collecting, the majority of them are from AI gringos that don't owe it. Don't worry, there's a scam in there somewhere.

JD426
09-09-2012, 10:57 AM
This guy should be reported to the authorities. That's not how they do things down there. :rofl:

As far as the guy at the top of the escalator, I've never seen him. Ever. And I've lost track how many trips I've made in the last 8 years. But if he's there now, guarantee you that of the $20 fees he's collecting, the majority of them are from AI gringos that don't owe it. That DOES make it a scam.

So this is like when you run into them Roadblocks, where REAL COPS who right before the Holidays are asking for some Pesos... Its not a TOLL, its just a little something for them to help with the Holidays ... LOL
Only in the DR...

Could you imagine Cops et al... setting up roadblocks to Scam People out of money here in the USA ???
that could never happen....

OH WAIT ?
they do that , but they call it PROPERTY TAXES.. & U dont pay, you lose your House..

U know, I think ill take the $20 DR Scams.... at least I know I can afford THAT...

Seņor JDR of Medellin
09-09-2012, 02:21 PM
So this is like when you run into them Roadblocks, where REAL COPS who right before the Holidays are asking for some Pesos... Its not a TOLL, its just a little something for them to help with the Holidays ... LOL
Only in the DR...

Could you imagine Cops et al... setting up roadblocks to Scam People out of money here in the USA ???
that could never happen....

OH WAIT ?
they do that , but they call it PROPERTY TAXES.. & U dont pay, you lose your House..

U know, I think ill take the $20 DR Scams.... at least I know I can afford THAT...

If DR wasn't a piss poor country, nobody would be going there.

greydread
09-09-2012, 02:42 PM
If DR wasn't a piss poor country, nobody would be going there.

Not true. I'd go. Because I like Dominican Pum-Pum. I wouldn't care if it went up to $500 and hour. I'd get less of it, but I'd still have to get me some. You think Brazil's hurting for mongers? The rise in prices just weeds out the weak.

Seņor JDR of Medellin
09-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Not true. I'd go. Because I like Dominican Pum-Pum. I wouldn't care if it went up to $500 and hour. I'd get less of it, but I'd still have to get me some. You think Brazil's hurting for mongers? The rise in prices just weeds out the weak.

You would pay $500 an hour for it? Its only $150 an hour in NY.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

greydread
09-09-2012, 03:12 PM
You would pay $500 an hour for it? Its only $150 an hour in NY.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Those aren't Dominicanas. They're Dom-Yols. Biiiig difference.

It's the same thing spending $2,000 flying to East Africa to bang a Ho who looks just like Shanaynay-down-the-block. The looks is where the similarity ends.

Seņor JDR of Medellin
09-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Those aren't Dominicanas. They're Dom-Yols. Biiiig difference.

Sorry but if they arrived here 4 weeks ago, they are Dominicans.

greydread
09-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Sorry but if they arrived here 4 weeks ago, they are Dominicans.

If they arrived less than a Month ago you should be paying them in pesos.

BTW, if the price of Pussy hit $500 in Santo Domingo guess what....Nueva Yol would be Dominicanaless in two weeks.....:rofl: