PDA

View Full Version : Mining director is former Falconbridge employee

NewsWhore
09-07-2012, 02:10 PM
The new director of the Department of Mines, Alexander Medina worked for Falconbridge Dominicana for 35 years. Four years ago he retired from the company and receives a pension, as reported in Diario Libre. There has been some criticism of his appointment to direct the Department of Mines.

He said that now in his work in the Department of Mining he represents the Dominican state and interests of the Dominican people. "I am no longer an employee of Falcondo," he said.

He said that many mining projects are being implemented and the government needs experienced people to defend its interests, which is his role in the Department of Mining.

Medina says that the fact he is a former Falconbridge employee will not sway him to vote in favor of the company's request to exploit Loma Miranda. "First, I do not have the deciding power to authorize Falcondo. That decision is in the hands of the Ministry of Environment that issues the environmental license," he told Diario Libre.

He told the newspaper that he is not aware of the damage the exploitation could cause, but is familiar with the point of view that the mine will enhance yield for the company's ferronickel mining operations.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#5)