PDA

View Full Version : Victor Estrella puts DR in Group I of Davis Cup

NewsWhore
09-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Santiago's Victor Estrella reconfirmed his status as the country's top tennis player when he once more took the Dominican Republic to Group I of the Americas, by defeating Mexican Cesar Ramirez in the fourth match of the final of Group II of the Americas Zone in the Davis Cup, held at the Centro Espanol yesterday, Sunday 16 September. The Dominican team was leading in the Davis Cup format 2-1.

Estrella, in a match that lasted 3 hours and 25 minutes, won in three sets: 7-6, 6-4 and 6-3. His victory gave the country its ticket to compete in 2013 against the selections of Chile and Brazil who were seeded here. The last time the DR made the jump to Group I was in 2009, when they defeated Venezuela 3-2 at the Santo Domingo Tennis Club.

The young man from Santiago, who achieved his victory number 32 of 45 appearances at the Davis Cup, was certainly motivated by his commitment to his country and his hometown fans, had to come back from 3-5 in the first set and then win 7-6 in a tiebreaker. Saved from this problem, the way was open to complete the sweep. "I have won a lot of games 0-2 in Davis Cup and this was one of them, logically it was easier because it was just two points," Estrella said. He said that "I had a lot of trouble with my first serve, since I had hurt my shoulder and elbow, but God helped me."

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#14)