PDA

View Full Version : 09/2012 - Tourist Card Online

gmalet
09-24-2012, 06:26 PM
I got this link to avoid having to wait in line in the DR to pay the $10.00 fee. I pre pay and print it off and it saves time in lines. Since everything in the DR is so slow this helps. Santo Domingo airport is real slow that line is usually 30 minutes...

To save you a few minutes in line here is the link to buy the tourist card over the web:
https://www.dgii.gov.do/Tturistaweb/

officemgr
09-24-2012, 06:54 PM
used to buy them at the dominican consulate on broadway. last time i went there they said they did not have any. no one could tell me if or when they were getting more.

LJDMV
09-24-2012, 09:11 PM
has anyone printed this off and tried to use it at POP airport to see if it works there?

gmalet
09-25-2012, 05:02 AM
It works at all the airports. POP, SDQ, PUJ, STI

psriches
09-25-2012, 05:34 AM
I got this link to avoid having to wait in line in the DR to pay the $10.00 fee. I pre pay and print it off and it saves time in lines. Since everything in the DR is so slow this helps. Santo Domingo airport is real slow that line is usually 30 minutes...

To save you a few minutes in line here is the link to buy the tourist card over the web:
https://www.dgii.gov.do/Tturistaweb/ Who controls the credit card information??

BorisDaBulletDodger
09-25-2012, 07:18 AM

I'm I the only one who enjoys seeing someone stand in line for like 30 minutes only to watch them get sent back to get the $10 tourist card and stand in line all over again at SDQ??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

snoozer
09-25-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm I the only one who enjoys seeing someone stand in line for like 30 minutes only to watch them get sent back to get the $10 tourist card and stand in line all over again at SDQ??? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
I get a perverse enjoyment watching the Canadian tourists when I fly down on Westjet. The flight attendants hand out the tourists cards on the plane and make a big announcement telling everyone to store them carefully as they will be needed when they leave the country. They get very concerned when an official takes it away from them 5 minutes after entering the airport!!!

Skynyrd
09-25-2012, 07:47 AM

Thanks Gmalet, worked great I just bought my card for Oct 6th, will try it at SDQ !!!

gmalet
09-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks Gmalet, worked great I just bought my card for Oct 6th, will try it at SDQ !!!

Glad it helped. I am one of those guys who gets all geeked up once I land. I want to get the hell out of the airport and get to partying!!

the_Jayman
09-26-2012, 07:56 PM
I am one of those guys who gets all geeked up once I land. I want to get the hell out of the airport and get to partying!!

be be be . . . the lizard . . . serpentine serpentine . . . . they might move quick but Ima move quicker . . . places to go and chicas to fuck . . . nice link dude.

We always usta buy um in the USA @ EWR. been pushin 3 years since I needed 1 . . . I NEED 1 ! ! ! :(

blazaveli
09-26-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm missing something.... Perhaps cause I've only flown in to POP. At POP you still have to wait in line to get to the dude who is taking your tourist card in the first place. Thats the only line that I've ever encountered a significant waiting game with. I'm purchasing the tourist card (takes like 10 secs for me, I only see people being held up who don't have exact change) while I'm literaly already waiting in line to get past their customs.

Did something go over my head? don't see how this speeds up the process in any significant matter to be honest. Nice concept though.

The real fast way to skip the lines is being the first off that plane :rofl:

the_Jayman
09-26-2012, 08:48 PM
only the 1 time did I get caught with my britches down.

Landed at the same time as a bunch of asshole Canadians (u know who u r :mrgreen:).

no tourist card ( I was drinkin with drunko @ 3 in the am and we forgot @ EWR. )

20 solid mins without a cigarette standin line . . . get it before landing ! ! ! THE ANTICIPATION ! ! !

YOUR HEAD WILL EXPLODE WHILE STANDING IN LINE SOOOOO CLOSE TO PARADISE ! ! !

JD426
09-26-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm missing something.... Perhaps cause I've only flown in to POP. At POP you still have to wait in line to get to the dude who is taking your tourist card in the first place. Thats the only line that I've ever encountered a significant waiting game with. I'm purchasing the tourist card (takes like 10 secs for me, I only see people being held up who don't have exact change) while I'm literaly already waiting in line to get past their customs.

Did something go over my head? don't see how this speeds up the process in any significant matter to be honest. Nice concept though.

That is VERY TRUE.

Have not flown to POP in a while, but from what I recall you CAN get stuck behind a whole PLANE full of AI tourists, who all jam up the line, faast, so it is possible to have to wait like 30 mins.. seems hard to believe but its true.. Some of these AI people dont even know why they are waiting in line,much less do they have exact change ready..

Want to avoid the Card line,, fly to STI...
get off the plane fast, Down the escalator, SHARP LEFT.... guess what , you the first one in the line, almost every single time..there is NEVER a line. You can even then make a run for the roped line to immigration and be one of the first 10 people.. seems only one plane at a time lands at STI, esp if its early AM, or I could be just lucky last 6x in a row.

Tiger
09-27-2012, 11:14 AM

In POP it seems like there is always a long line to pay for the tourist card. If I buy the card on line can I then just skip that line, sneak under the rope and go to the guy taking the card? Is this correct??

gmalet
09-27-2012, 01:32 PM
If you buy the card online then you go directly to the guy that collects the tourist card and off to customs.

greydread
09-27-2012, 02:26 PM
If you buy the card online then you go directly to the guy that collects the tourist card and off to customs.

At SDQ that guy or gyal is at the end of the line for DR immigrations. You go through them and to immigration 1st and then to the carousel for your bag and then to customs after hitting the Duty Free and the Brugal and Barcelo kiosks. That little Cuba Libre before customs is a nice touch. I'm glad they're still doing that. :biggrin:

dmoney
09-27-2012, 04:44 PM

exactly what i was thinking. has anyone tried this out in POP?

blazaveli
09-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Its very difficult to do because there are no gaps in the line between the tourist card station and where they actually take the card. Remember also they only have a select amount of stations at their customs desk which is where the guy taking your tourist card will direct you; so you are forced to wait to get to the customs desk regardless.

That kinda makes that tourist card line at POP somewhat of an illusion. Everybody is in line anyways to get past customs. If recall correctly, there are two lines. One to the right for residents and one to the left for tourists. Where you purchase the tourist card is to the left, stationed by where they give you the free shot of brugal. This is the same line you have to wait in anyhow to get through customs so all you are really doing is picking up the tourist card while you are already in line to get past customs which again you have to wait in line for anyway.

Not to mention if you try sneaking under the rope you are literaly going to be cutting in front of someone since there are no gaps so they won't be too happy about that :rofl:

I just realized why that line never bothers me!!!! The free shot of brugal!!! Someone remind me to take a redbull on board and ask for my shot on the rocks so I can get an early start on my liquid crack!! props to TNT and VP on that one
:toast:

In POP it seems like there is always a long line to pay for the tourist card. If I buy the card on line can I then just skip that line, sneak under the rope and go to the guy taking the card? Is this correct??

Irie
09-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Okay, I need to graduate to carry on mode for any of this to be a benefit.

No matter how long the lines, I have yet to get through to find my bag flying around the carousel. Guess I need "packing 101" again.

gmalet
09-30-2012, 06:43 PM
You go to the line that says residents because you don't need to buy the tourist card. Just give it to the guy before the customs booth and you are on your way.

MrHappy
10-01-2012, 08:48 AM
]That is VERY TRUE.[/YELLOW]

Have not flown to POP in a while, but from what I recall you CAN get stuck behind a whole PLANE full of AI tourists, who all jam up the line, faast, so it is possible to have to wait like 30 mins.. seems hard to believe but its true.. Some of these AI people dont even know why they are waiting in line,much less do they have exact change ready..

Want to avoid the Card line,, fly to STI...
get off the plane fast, Down the escalator, SHARP LEFT.... guess what , you the first one in the line, almost every single time..there is NEVER a line. You can even then make a run for the roped line to immigration and be one of the first 10 people.. seems only one plane at a time lands at STI, esp if its early AM, or I could be just lucky last 6x in a row.

Absolutely! DRTRAVEL 101

gulfmariner
10-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the Intel and link , bookmarked it and will use it on my next trip.......:bigthumbup:

ezsmile
04-03-2014, 06:40 PM
I have used the online purchase for landing at STI the last few times, it works like a charm.
Friends of mine have used it at POP, and yes, they bypassed the line to pay for the card.

Irie
04-03-2014, 06:52 PM
In all my trips through POP, I think the longest I've waited was 15 min (behind a full plane load). I would say my waits are generally 3 to 5 minutes.......no biggie.

One of the things I pay attention to are the idiots ahead of me who either have no clue what's going on or didn't think to pull some cash out prior to getting to the counter. While they're fumbling around trying to find money, I make eye contact, flash my $10, and walk right around them.

Maybe my luck will run out one day. Until then, I'm not bothering with wasting time on the online thing.

psriches
04-03-2014, 07:50 PM
I have used the online purchase for landing at STI the last few times, it works like a charm.
Friends of mine have used it at POP, and yes, they bypassed the line to pay for the card.In my ten years of arriving in Santiago, the longest I've waited was 120 seconds. So I've never really had the need for the online purchase.

greydread
04-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Most Caribbean countries have added their visa (tourist card) fee to the airfare. Why is the D.R. still doing this dumb shit?

camaro1257
04-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Most Caribbean countries have added their visa (tourist card) fee to the airfare. Why is the D.R. still doing this dumb shit?

GD you know enough about DR culture to know the answer to that one...:rofl:

ezsmile
04-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Not being an American, I don't always carry US cash, so the online purchase works for me. You are right, the wait in the lineup has never been overly long.

And boy are they ever ripping off the Europeans!! The sign says 10 US or 10 Euros. So if you come from Europe, can you buy the tourist card with $10 US? Would you bother getting the US cash while in Europe?

greydread
04-03-2014, 09:14 PM
GD you know enough about DR culture to know the answer to that one...:rofl:

It was a rhetorical question. :wink:

Bud64
04-04-2014, 10:06 AM
I just completed this, will let you know how it worked.

Thanks for the tip, one less line to stand in and now I am not worried about making sure I have $10.00 in change.:lol:

Jao
04-04-2014, 12:55 PM
I just completed this, will let you know how it worked.

Thanks for the tip, one less line to stand in and now I am not worried about making sure I have $10.00 in change.:lol:

At SDQ airport, they have machines that look like ATMs adjacent to the tourist card booth (the machines I assume sell tourist cards). I assume those machines take plastic (credit or bank cards).

greydread
04-04-2014, 07:27 PM
At SDQ airport, they have machines that look like ATMs adjacent to the tourist card booth (the machines I assume sell tourist cards). I assume those machines take plastic (credit or bank cards).

That's new....nice. I hope they work better than the ATM's there.

Jao
04-06-2014, 10:46 PM
That's new....nice. I hope they work better than the ATM's there.

I choose Spanish as the language for the ATMs in the DR. I prefer Banco Popular ATMs in the DR. Corrientes is checking account, Efectivo is cash.

Jao
04-09-2014, 12:13 AM

Photo of tourist card machines at SDQ Airport from this page; http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/10/09/sofitel-santo-domingo/

Hemp
04-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Never much minded the line....It usually wasn't more than 10-15 min or so....Power of anticipation of the pending debauchery always kept me entertained :surprised:

essexboy
01-15-2015, 03:26 PM
i just tried to click on the link i have used it 3 times b4 but doesnt seem to work anymore?
i not been in the dr for about 18 months do u still need one?
cheers EB

ezsmile
01-15-2015, 03:56 PM
i just tried to click on the link i have used it 3 times b4 but doesnt seem to work anymore?
i not been in the dr for about 18 months do u still need one?
cheers EB

you still need one. Just before New Year's the online system would not work for me or for a friend of mine either. I guess they still don't have it fixed.

JDR
01-15-2015, 06:04 PM
you still need one. Just before New Year's the online system would not work for me or for a friend of mine either. I guess they still don't have it fixed.

They have machines in the Capital, fast and easy.

steviewonder
01-15-2015, 09:45 PM

If you are arriving in POP, they pre print the receipts so there's really no delay getting to the immigration booth. You will find waiting for your bags will take longer then the TC receipt being given to you.:eek::eek:

ezsmile
01-16-2015, 05:26 PM
If you are arriving in POP, they pre print the receipts so there's really no delay getting to the immigration booth. You will find waiting for your bags will take longer then the TC receipt being given to you.:eek::eek:

Human nature is strange. I still do not want to wait in a line even if I then have to wait for luggage.

Hanzo
01-16-2015, 11:00 PM
This is why this site rocks, so the online tourist card is the best method for those who are cheap assholes like me, and want to save every dime possible.

I've used it on my last 8 trips, and have only paid for it twice, saved myself $60 bucks in the process, now I've only arrived via SDQ, so I'm not sure if this will work anywhere else, but it's pretty effective at SDQ.

What I did was purchased my first online tourist card back in July of 2013. When I arrived to SDQ I had the email printout, and had the email saved on my iPhone. When I got to the guy who collects them, I showed him the print out, he took a quick glance, and waved me through. I noticed he didn't even bother to input the confirmation number into the computer, or even check when I purchased it, so I made a note of that.

The next 4 times I arrived via SDQ, I had the same printout from that July 2013 trip, and all 4 times same deal, a quick glance, and a wave through. Knowing a Dominicans work ethic, to them it's not worth the 2 minute hassle of looking at the paper, and simply typing the confirmation number into their little computer kiosk, it's much easier just to wave me through. I did run into a dude who felt the need to actually make sure I didn't have a card that had expired, and got busted for it (It's valid only for one year) my next two trips I went back to my old tricks. Hopefully this info is useful to someone, save yourself $10 bucks. I also have a computer glitch I've discovered on Jetblue's system that will allow anyone to "purchase" an even more space seat ($35 dollars is what it cost tacked on to your airfare, and a couple more inches of legroom) for free. Besides my next upcoming trip, I've yet to pay the extra $35 dollars, yet fly in those seats every trip.

Irie
01-19-2015, 02:12 AM
Human nature is strange. I still do not want to wait in a line even if I then have to wait for luggage.

I must be timing things right upon arrival. I've never waited more than five minutes for those damn things. Like as has been mentioned, the damn bags are the hang up. Time for carry on only maybe :wink: