PDA

View Full Version : 25 injured in protests in Cotui over jobs in Barrick

NewsWhore
09-28-2012, 05:50 PM
News reports say that at least 25 people were injured in La Cabirma, a community on the outskirts of Cotui, the town nearest to the Barrick Pueblo Viejo mine, when protesters demanded the company employ more Sanchez Ramirez residents at the mine. Hundreds of demonstrators walked for several kilometers but when they reached the mine a confrontation erupted between police and protestors. The protesters said that most of the employees at the mine were foreigners who have come from Peru, Venezuela and other countries. Protest coordinator Sadoski Duarte urged the Dominican government to review the contract with the mining company to ensure that more Dominicans are hired. He also demanded solutions to the pollution supposedly caused by the mine.

As reported in Diario Libre, the protest, which began peacefully in the morning, turned violent by noon.

Jorge Esteva, communications manager for the company, issued a statement saying that the company deeply regrets the incident, saying it was instigated by private interests taking advantage of the unemployment in the area.

The northeastern regional police chief, General Juan Ramon de la Cruz Martinez said that the police agents who were involved in the clash are under arrest for investigation.

More... (http://www.dr1.com/index.html#10)