PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Taxi from POP to New Garden

mistertonite
10-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Hey guys. Is $35 USD the going rate from POP Airport to Sosua (New Garden)? Will be in Sosua Nov 8th to Nov 12th. Is there a Taxi Station right outside the terminal? Thanks.

TNT72
10-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Hey guys. Is $35 USD the going rate from POP Airport to Sosua (New Garden)? Will be in Sosua Nov 8th to Nov 12th. Is there a Taxi Station right outside the terminal? Thanks.

It's been a while since I paid for a taxi from the airport, but that seems hi to me. Seems $20 to $25 should be about right.

mistertonite
10-20-2012, 04:25 PM
It's been a while since I paid for a taxi from the airport, but that seems hi to me. Seems $20 to $25 should be about right.

Thanks. I want to make sure I am not paying more than I have to.

natmatt
10-20-2012, 04:38 PM

Yes, $20 to $25 is always what I have paid. There will be taxis drivers waiting for you once you exit customs.
They all have ID. Ask them the price before you go with them. I have a taxi that I call to meet me at POP.
If you call her and tell her your arrival date, time, and name, then she will meet you there. The only thing
is she has limited English.

Gutter Meat
10-20-2012, 05:28 PM
$20 one way tops!!!

Citynights
10-20-2012, 05:35 PM
if you stay Rockys....FREE PICKUP & DROP OFF....:corky::corky::corky::corky: GREAT LOCATION...

BadBoyBilly
10-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Can 10-0% confirm POP to NG / NG to POP $25 - did oit both ways Sept 14 and 19 - and that price is regardless of number of pax and pcs luggage.

Both these trips arranged by NG - you may well negotiaste cheaper yourself - but $25 max.

Enjoy - fuck I wish I was heading back for another 5 days soon - but alas - will not get chance to get back until Sept 13 next year.

LJDMV
10-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Are you a ww coming from NYC?

dquick
10-20-2012, 06:56 PM

if you are getting a cab at the airport, the price is listed on the board. I think it is $25 to Sosua, but it has been some time since I took a cab from POP.

The way to get a better deal is through the hotel or apartment. Some places are free. I know Lorenzo will arrange pickup, for a charge. If it is more than $25, he is cheating you.

A good way to save money is to split the cab. When you are getting off the plane, yell out, "Anybody heading to Sosua?" I bet you will get a couple of takers going the same way. Sosua is not that big, so it does not matter if you are not staying at the same place.

snoozer
10-20-2012, 06:57 PM

It's correct but it's not right for 10 minute ride!!

snoozer
10-20-2012, 07:02 PM

If you are not in a big hurry you can wait until most of the passengers have dispersed from your flight and, as there are not many flights these days into POP, the remaining taxis are little hungrier. Stand off to the side and wait for one to approach you and offer him 500 pesos, usually they will take it ( they are terrible at doing math in their heads!!). Be prepared for him to bitch about the price of gas all the way to Sosua and how he will not make any money on this fare.

On the other hand, if you are in a hurry pay the $ 25.:biggrin:

mistertonite
10-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Are you a ww coming from NYC?

Sorry...not up with the abbreviations yet..lol. What is a ww? Yes, I am coming from NYC. I've been to Sosua before..but got there via Santo Domingo years ago.

TNT72
10-20-2012, 09:29 PM
Sorry...not up with the abbreviations yet..lol. What is a ww? Yes, I am coming from NYC. I've been to Sosua before..but got there via Santo Domingo years ago.

ww. Weekend Warrior.

The guys who fly down from NYC, act like a baller, overpaying for chicas.

mistertonite
10-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Yes, $20 to $25 is always what I have paid. There will be taxis drivers waiting for you once you exit customs.
They all have ID. Ask them the price before you go with them. I have a taxi that I call to meet me at POP.
If you call her and tell her your arrival date, time, and name, then she will meet you there. The only thing
is she has limited English.

I will have my $20 in hand. Ping me number for contact. Language is not a problem as I am Puertorican and actually sound like a dominican when speaking...lol. That is what they (dominicans) tell me.

mistertonite
10-20-2012, 09:51 PM
ww. Weekend Warrior.

The guys who fly down from NYC, act like a baller, overpaying for chicas.

Ah...got it. I've heard of those. However, I'm not a flashy guy and don't like the attention it brings. I learned my lesson here in NY. I will be as frugal as possible but pay good when deserved. I've been to Santo Domingo recently and stood in the hood (Los Minas). Sosua will be considered expensive for what I paid for in SD. So I will definitely not go crazy. I am reading the boards and looking for all the red flags about the chicas there. I wish I could stay more than 4 days but already used most of my vacation time :(. I hope to catch up with fellow mongers while there.

TNT72
10-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Ah...got it. I've heard of those. However, I'm not a flashy guy and don't like the attention it brings. I learned my lesson here in NY. I will be as frugal as possible but pay good when deserved. I've been to Santo Domingo recently and stood in the hood (Los Minas). Sosua will be considered expensive for what I paid for in SD. So I will definitely not go crazy. I am reading the boards and looking for all the red flags about the chicas there. I wish I could stay more than 4 days but already used most of my vacation time :(. I hope to catch up with fellow mongers while there.

Just head up to Rocky's around 11-12. Ask for and introduce yourself to Rick. He will introduce you to any members around.

LJDMV
10-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Good to hear you are not with the WW crew. There will be several of us in town that same weekend u r there. Hope we can find you.

steviewonder
10-20-2012, 10:16 PM
I am Puertorican and actually sound like a dominican when speaking...lol. That is what they (dominicans) tell me.

Why the LOL:confused: I know some that would give anything for that combination in the DR:wink:

mistertonite
10-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Good to hear you are not with the WW crew. There will be several of us in town that same weekend u r there. Hope we can find you.

Sounds good. I will be staying at NG and will frequent Rocky's to eat.

It's crazy that I've been to DR several times but never learned the ropes on being a monger. I just hooked up with some chicks my friend knew in SD and gave them few pesos, took them to eat. Nothing crazy. I know the language (which is a plus) but I am a rookie when it comes to mongering. And when I did go to Sosua many moons ago, it was only for a few days and stood in Hotel Europa. I had one chica from there and banged the concierge girl that worked at Europa. She took me to a Cabana in Chamaricos because she could not stay in my room. I did not even have to pay her come to think of it. It was crazy. So I really did not get much of a total experience in Sosua...as far as how to negotiate and such. I remembered the spot to be at was High Caribe for getting chicas. Remembered stopping by Merengue Bar for drinks. And I always ate breakfast at Bogey's (not sure if it still there). Met a cool girl named Fifi (Mariedis was her real name) who worked there. Loved the beach...the best one I've been to in DR.

SeaWeed
10-20-2012, 10:27 PM
$20 bucks to drive a quick 10 minutes to Sosua.....talk about bending over and taking it up da ass......gezzzz friggin mafia
they drive us out to Negril from the Montego Bay, Jamaica airport which is an hour and 15 minute drive for only $18.........

mistertonite
10-20-2012, 10:33 PM
[/YELLOW]

Just head up to Rocky's around 11-12. Ask for and introduce yourself to Rick. He will introduce you to any members around.

Will do. And I read what happened to Rick. Count me in for the CMP boycott.

mistertonite
10-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Why the LOL:confused: I know some that would give anything for that combination in the DR:wink:

Dominicans tell me that I don't sound Puertorican. They say Puertoricans have an accent. And that I speak more with a Dominican accent. I was born and raised in NY and learned spanish at home. I just find it funny cause I don't hear what accent I have...it's just spanish to me...all the same.

BorisDaBulletDodger
10-20-2012, 11:08 PM
$20 bucks to drive a quick 10 minutes to Sosua.....talk about bending over and taking it up da ass......gezzzz friggin mafia
they drive us out to Negril from the Montego Bay, Jamaica airport which is an hour and 15 minute drive for only $18.........

Might not be that bad I took a cab from one Walmart to another Walmart the other day, which is only 5 miles and it cost me about $18 bucks. I know its the DR but still, gas is expensive.

Seņor JDR of Medellin
10-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Might not be that bad I took a cab from one Walmart to another Walmart the other day, which is only 5 miles and it cost me about $18 bucks. I know its the DR but still, gas is expensive.

Is $18 a days pay where you live?

BorisDaBulletDodger
10-20-2012, 11:18 PM

:rofl::rofl: Just saying, I was surprised how much a short drive was, combined with practically never taking a cab around here.

bailar
10-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks. I want to make sure I am not paying more than I have to.

If that's the case walk out to the main rd with your carry on and get a publico for 40 pesos.

TNT72
10-20-2012, 11:30 PM

How is it, that an accountant looks at what he pays a taxi driver as pure profit?

You've done taxes for business owners. You know the difference between gross and net.

What about gas? I've never seen an airport taxi with the trunk full of a natural gas tank. They need that space for luggage. And gas sure as hell isn't cheap there.

On top of paying for gas, and feeding the family and paying the household bills, what happens when the car breaks down? Anywhere from a belt breaking, to the transmission or the engine going out?

Always kills me when someone hands me money, and say "damn, you make a lot of money".

Wish I got to keep it all, and didn't have to pay bills, upkeep and taxes!!:mad:

exoticspirit
10-20-2012, 11:32 PM
If that's the case walk out to the main rd with your carry on and get a publico for 40 pesos.

If I have only carry on, I would certainly try the publico routes. But I'm coming down with full scuba gear which will make the publicos impractical for me :(

I'll have to really cough it up for my upcoming trip;

$45 from POP to Blackbeard's
Maybe $50-60 from Blackbeard's to Sosua
$25 from Sosua to POP

I really wish I was spending that $120+ on something else besides damn cabs!

snoozer
10-20-2012, 11:39 PM
If I have only carry on, I would certainly try the publico routes. But I'm coming down with full scuba gear which will make the publicos impractical for me :(

I'll have to really cough it up for my upcoming trip;

$45 from POP to Blackbeard's
Maybe $50-60 from Blackbeard's to Sosua
$25 from Sosua to POP

I really wish I was spending that $120+ on something else besides damn cabs!

You could rent a jepeeta for four days with that money too.

gmalet
10-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Rent a car. Its cheaper and you see more of the island!!!

LJDMV
10-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Are you going to sosua on a solo trip? You will notice many changes there since your last visit. I noticed many changes since my first visit in 2010. Many of us are flying in on the 8, 9, of November. Should be able to meet up by rockys on 1 of those days.

Sounds good. I will be staying at NG and will frequent Rocky's to eat.

It's crazy that I've been to DR several times but never learned the ropes on being a monger. I just hooked up with some chicks my friend knew in SD and gave them few pesos, took them to eat. Nothing crazy. I know the language (which is a plus) but I am a rookie when it comes to mongering. And when I did go to Sosua many moons ago, it was only for a few days and stood in Hotel Europa. I had one chica from there and banged the concierge girl that worked at Europa. She took me to a Cabana in Chamaricos because she could not stay in my room. I did not even have to pay her come to think of it. It was crazy. So I really did not get much of a total experience in Sosua...as far as how to negotiate and such. I remembered the spot to be at was High Caribe for getting chicas. Remembered stopping by Merengue Bar for drinks. And I always ate breakfast at Bogey's (not sure if it still there). Met a cool girl named Fifi (Mariedis was her real name) who worked there. Loved the beach...the best one I've been to in DR.

mistertonite
10-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Are you going to sosua on a solo trip? You will notice many changes there since your last visit. I noticed many changes since my first visit in 2010. Many of us are flying in on the 8, 9, of November. Should be able to meet up by rockys on 1 of those days.

I convinced a friend of mine to come along. Will definitely meet up at Rocky's during my stay.

MrHappy
10-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Dominicans tell me that I don't sound Puertorican. They say Puertoricans have an accent. And that I speak more with a Dominican accent. I was born and raised in NY and learned spanish at home. I just find it funny cause I don't hear what accent I have...it's just spanish to me...all the same.

Boricuas tend to speak with a kind of musical intonation or flow in their voice, but most neoyoricans don't have it. Probably because of that. Listening to PR chicks in PR can be entertaining.

MrHappy
10-23-2012, 09:39 AM
How is it, that an accountant looks at what he pays a taxi driver as pure profit?

You've done taxes for business owners. You know the difference between gross and net.

What about gas? I've never seen an airport taxi with the trunk full of a natural gas tank. They need that space for luggage. And gas sure as hell isn't cheap there.

On top of paying for gas, and feeding the family and paying the household bills, what happens when the car breaks down? Anywhere from a belt breaking, to the transmission or the engine going out?

Always kills me when someone hands me money, and say "damn, you make a lot of money".

Wish I got to keep it all, and didn't have to pay bills, upkeep and taxes!!:mad:

And what most guys don't realize is Taxis at the airport and at hotels are unionized. They frequently have to wait for HOURS in line before they finally get to carry a fare in a vehicle that's in good condition.

I've seen taxi drivers wait an entire day at a hotel, and not get a single fare, while local taxis pull up in front of the hotel in crappy cars and pick up guests that called them.

It can be pretty frustrating to wait a half a day for a fare, then get somebody that climbs in the car that wants to pay you half of the posted fare.
The whole "taking turns waiting at the airport" gig is so when you walk out the gate, they are standing there waiting for you, instead of you having to call a taxi company, and wait 20 minutes for one to show up. They make a sacrifice for your benefit. Walk a mile in their shoes.

That's why the taxis that run around the city are so cheap. They carry dozens of fares every day, not just one or two.

weyland
10-23-2012, 12:07 PM
I convinced a friend of mine to come along.
That doesn't sound too promising. We have read about a few guys who had to be persuaded to come and it hasn't turned out too well. Any normal red-blooded male ought to be straining to be let off the leash and come. I hope he won't keep asking you what the 500 pesos is for.

mistertonite
10-23-2012, 11:30 PM
That doesn't sound too promising. We have read about a few guys who had to be persuaded to come and it hasn't turned out too well. Any normal red-blooded male ought to be straining to be let off the leash and come. I hope he won't keep asking you what the 500 pesos is for.

It did not take too much convincing. He knows the deal. We traveled to Sosua 10 years ago. However, he originally was supposed to go to Punta Cana with another friend of ours but I explained that if he wanted to see some chicas and get laid - Sosua will be his best be as opposed to being in a laid back resort and probably no action. He quickly reserved a flight to POP instead.

D-sosua
04-14-2013, 02:55 PM
it's around $20

BrooklynBeas
04-14-2013, 03:19 PM
it's around $20

Thanks! Good thing he wasn't waiting for oxygen... Way to bring back an old thread to answer a question that's been answered in the thread already... I think Mr. Tonite has been back to DR about 3 or 4 times since this thread started... Sorry Trey, I figured I would step in for you on this one...

TNT72
04-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks! Good thing he wasn't waiting for oxygen... Way to bring back an old thread to answer a question that's been answered in the thread already... I think Mr. Tonite has been back to DR about 3 or 4 times since this thread started... Sorry Trey, I figured I would step in for you on this one...

damn beas. why you have to jump all over the guy. he just joined and is trying to help out.

you vets need to cut the new guys some slack...:rofl::rofl:

BrooklynBeas
04-14-2013, 03:34 PM
damn beas. why you have to jump all over the guy. he just joined and is trying to help out.

hahaha... I can sit you smiling as you posted that... Fuckin Beas beat me to the punch... Can't have all the newbies hate you Trey, they should share the hate between us...

blazaveli
04-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Poor guy prolly didn't even know how to use the site yet and came with hands extended to heaven like "Ooo ooo I know this one!!" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dvdmdz
04-14-2013, 05:11 PM
I've always paid 20 $$$$ US

mistertonite
04-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Now I'm getting free pick up from Rick while staying at Mary Rose :corky:. Will be there in 9 days.

BrooklynBeas
04-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Now I'm getting free pick up from Rick while staying at Mary Rose :corky:. Will be there in 9 days.

That's gotta be the cheapest rate so far... Anyone else? Someone must have been paid to be picked up from POP... ???

i'm just playing... Off topic, but 2 minutes from the Knicks clinching the 2 seed in the East... I'm in a good mood!

mistertonite
04-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Yo Beas...its shaping to be a TTU event. Paps, mouse, bronxplayer going too... Buy a plane ticket bro and meet us over there.

BrooklynBeas
04-14-2013, 06:52 PM
I checked some flights this past week, nothing was even close to normal rates... That was on Jetblue... Then I figured why not try AA.com to see what' American's deal, well they are terrible... They dont fly direct to POP anymore, I am not going on a connection flight for a destination that should take 3.5 hours direct... I also tried using my points on AA, but they want 60-65 thousand for the round trip, depending on the days I fly... No way im wasting that on DR, especially without direct flights... Have fun, I really did try...

case119
09-16-2013, 07:26 PM
ww. Weekend Warrior.

The guys who fly down from NYC, act like a baller, overpaying for chicas. fucking it up for everybody

Gutter Meat
09-17-2013, 12:56 AM
$20 pop to Sosua