PDA

View Full Version : Scotia Bank in Sosua Closed.

Apos
10-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Just heard the the Scotia Bank in Sosua is closed.

Can't find the link at the moment but can anyone one the ground confirm?

Thanks.

WickedWillie
10-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Yes confirmed it has closed. Cabarete branch still open.

Apos
10-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Thank you Sir.

That' gonna suck for some BofA clients...
Yes confirmed it has closed. Cabarete branch still open.

exoticspirit
10-22-2012, 09:25 PM
It's unusual for one of my Canadian banks to close like that.

Apos
10-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Is it? In Canada yes but outside of Canada, happens a lot. Think US expansion...

It's just a branch that closed, it's not like they've completely pulled out. There's another one 15 minutes away in the next major town east.
It's unusual for one of my Canadian banks to close like that.

El-Rey
10-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Not sure wusup but there were plenty of times the ATM had no money...

LJDMV
10-22-2012, 09:46 PM
What is the current exchange rate now in the DR? Who is offering the best rate in sosua?

snoozer
10-22-2012, 10:10 PM

I used the Scotia ATM almost every day on my last 3 week trip and only once was it out of money. I just read on DR1 that they are leaving the ATM in Sosua. This is good news for me as last year I switched to Scotia Bank in Canada mainly so I could withdraw money in Sosua without charges during the 3 months a year I spend there.

questner
10-22-2012, 10:45 PM
I don't see anything in news or on the website. Would anyone in DR ask for a response here:

Contacte nuestro Departamento de Relaciones Públicas

Correo Electrónico: mercadeord@scotiabank.com
Teléfono: (809) 545-8492

snoozer
10-22-2012, 10:49 PM
I don't see anything in news or on the website. Would anyone in DR ask for a response here:

Contacte nuestro Departamento de Relaciones Públicas

Correo Electrónico: mercadeord@scotiabank.com
Teléfono: (809) 545-8492

What are you trying to ask them?

questner
10-22-2012, 11:12 PM
What are you trying to ask them?

For a confirmation of a closure. Is it temporary or permanent? What will happen to clients files, will they get assigned to Cabarete or Puerto Plata branches? Is there any correspondence sent to clients? All general FAQ. Again, their website has nothing on this change. I've got some interest in the branch being there, also it means something to gauge what's going on in town.

snoozer
10-22-2012, 11:21 PM
For a confirmation of a closure. Is it temporary or permanent? What will happen to clients files, will they get assigned to Cabarete or Puerto Plata branches? Is there any correspondence sent to clients? All general FAQ. Again, their website has nothing on this change. I've got some interest in the branch being there, also it means something to gauge what's going on in town.

There was a sign on the ATM a couple of weeks ago that said the branch was closing and that it would be absorbed into the Cabarete branch. I assume all accounts and files will be transferred to there. I think it was the least busy bank in town, probably due to its location and size.

steviewonder
10-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Is it? In Canada yes but outside of Canada, happens a lot. Think US expansion...It's just a branch that closed, it's not like they've completely pulled out. There's another one 15 minutes away in the next major town east.

And the people that work in the main office in Puerto Plata was tired of having to clean up the mess in the Sosua branch:rolleyes:

jose1234
10-23-2012, 12:30 AM
The Cabarete branch was recently renovated...

mike24ca
10-23-2012, 01:10 AM
The Bank of Nova Scotia in Canada and the International Division are different entities, no problems with insuring accounts etc. They have the same name but are individual.

El-Rey
10-23-2012, 02:56 AM
What is the current exchange rate now in the DR? Who is offering the best rate in sosua?

It has gone up everyday.. Was 39.50 a day or two ago. WU and caribe express.. Not even worth getting change off the street with the rates going up daily.

dquick
10-23-2012, 06:19 AM

The ATM ran out of money, because it was a popular bank to use. The limit was 10,000 pesos in one transaction. Other banks have a much lower limit. Also, I trusted this bank because it was a Canadian bank.

BorisDaBulletDodger
10-23-2012, 09:49 AM
The ATM ran out of money, because it was a popular bank to use. The limit was 10,000 pesos in one transaction. Other banks have a much lower limit. Also, I trusted this bank because it was a Canadian bank.

Also from my limited experience, my Bank of america card or ING Direct card didn't work at the Banco Popular

damaja
10-23-2012, 10:16 AM
That was the only bank I used. My Bank of America card would get rejected at most banks, including Banco Popular. I guess I will be taking more cash than usual my next trip.

questner
10-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Confirmed the branch is closed. Clients move to Cabarete branch.

For now the reliable ATM option is Progreso's ATM near Super Super. 10K DOP withdrawal with a receipt for a 120 peso ATM fee.

Reminder: Bank Popular ATM is set to dispense cash from foreign accounts when one chooses 'Savings' option. Money still has to be drawn on your chequing one.

Apos
10-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Is it down to 10k now? I have always been able to withdraw 30k at a time.

For now the reliable ATM option is Progreso's ATM near Super Super. 10K DOP withdrawal with a receipt for a 120 peso ATM fee.

Reminder: Bank Popular ATM is set to dispense cash from foreign accounts when one chooses 'Savings' option. Money still has to be drawn on your chequing one.

snoozer
10-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Is it down to 10k now? I have always been able to withdraw 30k at a time.
Back in June it was giving out 30,000 pesos but did not try it on my last trip in Sept/Oct

questner
10-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Back in June it was giving out 30,000 pesos but did not try it on my last trip in Sept/Oct

I misled you in a way. On weekends when BNS was limited to 5K Progreso was not. I never pulled there more than 10K at once in one transaction. So I don't know the maximum there.

rio77
10-25-2012, 11:19 AM
scotia bank atm on pedro clisante is working today. (thursday, 10/25)

The Sage
10-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the info on Banco Popular. Might there also be a secret to using the Banco Progreso ATM? My B of A card gets rejected there. As to the max at that machine in the past it was 15000 pesos. Don't ever remember it being 30k

Doc Hollywood
11-13-2012, 12:11 AM
I just checked my bank statement and see I used the Scotia Bank ATM (Presdro Clisante) various times between 10-25 and 10-26. Is the bank closed but the ATM still operating?

DOC

BorisDaBulletDodger
11-13-2012, 01:20 AM
I just checked my bank statement and see I used the Scotia Bank ATM (Presdro Clisante) various times between 10-25 and 10-26. Is the bank closed but the ATM still operating?

DOC

Bank is closed but ATM is still working as of last week. I tried using my Bank of AMerica card on there, but got denied twice trying to pull too much money out at once, and was not able to verify if there is no transaction fees for BOA customers. There are 2 other ATMs in the area aswell.

El-Rey
11-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Bank is closed but ATM is still working as of last week. I tried using my Bank of AMerica card on there, but got denied twice trying to pull too much money out at once, and was not able to verify if there is no transaction fees for BOA customers. There are 2 other ATMs in the area aswell.

ATM on PC is now gone.. The sign claims it was moved to the gas station but I have yet to see it. Fastest is the one in cabarete but you may want to go early AM.. Traffic is a bitch with all the construction during the day.

Sidney
01-15-2013, 08:05 PM
I believe you should avoid Scotia/Metro Bus. I think my debit card identity was stolen there. They got cash in Puerto Plata. My bank will refund $1000, but there will be much hassle receiving a new card. A friend had his car ''eaten''. They told him to return in 5 days !:icontd::icontd:

Apos
01-15-2013, 08:33 PM
You might want to try the ATM at Rocky's. It cannot eat your car(d) since you swipe it and not insert it, and it' s a US based ATM. You receive US cash as well.

I believe you should avoid Scotia/Metro Bus. I think my debit card identity was stolen there. They got cash in Puerto Plata. My bank will refund $1000, but there will be much hassle receiving a new card. A friend had his car ''eaten''. They told him to return in 5 days !:icontd::icontd:

DCIronman
01-16-2013, 02:38 PM
You might want to try the ATM at Rocky's. It cannot eat your car(d) since you swipe it and not insert it, and it' s a US based ATM. You receive US cash as well.

Wow. This must be new. Then again, it's been 3 years since I've been to Rocky's.

This is just another reason to frequent the place. Thanks for the info.

Question. Is this ATM associated with a US bank? And if so, which one?

Apos
01-16-2013, 03:23 PM
I'll have to leave this one for Rick as I'm not sure of the bank, but it is a US based ATM and you do get USD from Rick.

Wow. This must be new. Then again, it's been 3 years since I've been to Rocky's.

This is just another reason to frequent the place. Thanks for the info.

Question. Is this ATM associated with a US bank? And if so, which one?