PDA

View Full Version : chica friendly economical hotels near malecon

kinglamar
11-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Im starting to plan a trip for january. im planning to stay in puerto plata this time for i have already experienced black beards and sosua. any one have any info on a good economical chica friendly hotel near malecon I want to be in walking distance if possible to "the action"

weyland
11-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Im starting to plan a trip for january. im planning to stay in puerto plata this time for i have already experienced black beards and sosua. any one have any info on a good economical chica friendly hotel near malecon I want to be in walking distance if possible to "the action"
Puerto Plata is much harder work than Blackbeards or Sosua. The main advantage is for those who prefer semi-putas or non-putas. You will need reasonable Spanish and, for non-putas, other advantages as well.

You write about being near "the action", but one of the reasons Pto Pta is harder work is that "the action" is scattered across a city centre twice the area of Sosua (El Batey and Los Charamicos together), so by definition any one hotel can only be near some of the possible locations.

If you want near the Malecon, there are Lomar and Puerto Plata Beach Resort (both actually on the Malecon), and Portofino and Kevin (5 and 10 minutes walk from the Malecon respectively). All are Dominican style places, reasonably priced. How "good" they are, I wouldn't know, but sensible mongers I know have stayed in each of them and survived. But my recommendation would be to pay a bit more and stay at Field of Dreams. Then the hotel stay would become an enjoyable part of your holiday instead of just somewhere to hunker down at night. Also you would have gringo support and advice in case of problems.

Now you might object that Field of Dreams is two miles outside the city proper. But be aware that it is as cheap and quick to get to most points in the city from FoD as it is from any other point within the city. I know because I live very near the Malecon. There are no guagua or publico routes there so I have to take a motoconcho to get anywhere. I could catch a publico from Field of Dreams for the same price (25 pesos) and for many destinations it would be cheaper and quicker from FoD. The other advantage of staying at FoD is that you are only a dollar and 25 minutes from Sosua if Pto Pta isn't working out for you.

I commend you for giving Pto Pta a try, but don't bother if you don't know reasonable Spanish otherwise you will be limited to whorebars and you would have a much bigger choice of full-time putas in Sosua. The other point is that you have to be comfortable riding motoconchos to get around Pto Pta. Doing everything by private taxi would soon cancel your savings on a "reasonable" hotel.

el toro
11-10-2012, 06:13 PM
I was waiting for your response Sirr Weyland. I've contemplated doing a stay around the malecon as well at times. Very informative.

Mr. Smooth
11-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Weyland, those motos in PP are a damn sight better ride than Sosua. A larger moto for one thing, plenty of seat room, a much quieter ride, none of that wop, wop, wop noise. At least when I rode to and from the malecon the day we met with Toro and the others at that beach bar. I have no problem if I was staying there and had to ride those!

Since the OP was wanting to be within walking distance of the action, I would assume "whore bars" would make up a big part of the "action". Maybe one fine day, you could take the "little retard" out for a walk around town. Bring along a little notepad and update any bar info the board might find interesting.

When you come home, the little one is worn out from all the walking around and will take a nap leaving you an opportunity to update your PP thread. You can then kick back with a cup of coco and start in on that James Joyce novel you've been meaning to get to.

See? Another day well spent! :corky:

weyland
11-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Weyland, those motos in PP are a damn sight better ride than Sosua. A larger moto for one thing, plenty of seat room, a much quieter ride, none of that wop, wop, wop noise.
I hadn't noticed, but you may be right. Motoconchos in Puerto Plata are suppose to register and undergo bike checks. We all know how that is likely to work out in practice. I always use a yellow-jacketed allegedly registered driver (but anyone can buy or borrow a jacket). The only accident I have had was on one of my rare rides with an unregistered driver. The point I was making is that getting around Pto Pta is hard work and expensive unless you use motos or are renting your own car. I use motos a lot but they are dangerous. If I had a choice I wouldn't use them.

Since the OP was wanting to be within walking distance of the action, I would assume "whore bars" would make up a big part of the "action". Maybe one fine day, you could take the "little retard" out for a walk around town.
A casual reader here, unaware of my domestic situation, might think that you are referring to Kinglamar as the "the little retard". I assure him that is not the case.

continentalmike
11-12-2012, 07:30 AM
A casual reader here, unaware of my domestic situation, might think that you are referring to Kinglamar as the "the little retard". I assure him that is not the case.

Is he officially diagnosted then :)

kinglamar
11-12-2012, 08:25 PM
thanks for taking out the time to reply. I checked out the lomar. i think im gonna try that option. my spanish is good so that won't be a problem. my plan is to stay in pto pta a few days then head to sosua.
do you have any bar recommendations. compared to sosua how safe is malecon. I just heard about it from some people and would like to see it for myself.once again thanks for your reply and i appreciate the info

Puerto Plata is much harder work than Blackbeards or Sosua. The main advantage is for those who prefer semi-putas or non-putas. You will need reasonable Spanish and, for non-putas, other advantages as well.

You write about being near "the action", but one of the reasons Pto Pta is harder work is that "the action" is scattered across a city centre twice the area of Sosua (El Batey and Los Charamicos together), so by definition any one hotel can only be near some of the possible locations.

If you want near the Malecon, there are Lomar and Puerto Plata Beach Resort (both actually on the Malecon), and Portofino and Kevin (5 and 10 minutes walk from the Malecon respectively). All are Dominican style places, reasonably priced. How "good" they are, I wouldn't know, but sensible mongers I know have stayed in each of them and survived. But my recommendation would be to pay a bit more and stay at Field of Dreams. Then the hotel stay would become an enjoyable part of your holiday instead of just somewhere to hunker down at night. Also you would have gringo support and advice in case of problems.

Now you might object that Field of Dreams is two miles outside the city proper. But be aware that it is as cheap and quick to get to most points in the city from FoD as it is from any other point within the city. I know because I live very near the Malecon. There are no guagua or publico routes there so I have to take a motoconcho to get anywhere. I could catch a publico from Field of Dreams for the same price (25 pesos) and for many destinations it would be cheaper and quicker from FoD. The other advantage of staying at FoD is that you are only a dollar and 25 minutes from Sosua if Pto Pta isn't working out for you.

I commend you for giving Pto Pta a try, but don't bother if you don't know reasonable Spanish otherwise you will be limited to whorebars and you would have a much bigger choice of full-time putas in Sosua. The other point is that you have to be comfortable riding motoconchos to get around Pto Pta. Doing everything by private taxi would soon cancel your savings on a "reasonable" hotel.

Seņor JDR of Medellin
11-12-2012, 08:32 PM
I was waiting for your response Sirr Weyland. I've contemplated doing a stay around the malecon as well at times. Very informative.

You will do fine there. Just give it a try.

Seņor JDR of Medellin
11-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Weyland, those motos in PP are a damn sight better ride than Sosua. A larger moto for one thing, plenty of seat room, a much quieter ride, none of that wop, wop, wop noise. At least when I rode to and from the malecon the day we met with Toro and the others at that beach bar. I have no problem if I was staying there and had to ride those!

Since the OP was wanting to be within walking distance of the action, I would assume "whore bars" would make up a big part of the "action". Maybe one fine day, you could take the "little retard" out for a walk around town. Bring along a little notepad and update any bar info the board might find interesting.

When you come home, the little one is worn out from all the walking around and will take a nap leaving you an opportunity to update your PP thread. You can then kick back with a cup of coco and start in on that James Joyce novel you've been meaning to get to.

See? Another day well spent! :corky:

Everything is a short moto ride away.

weyland
11-22-2012, 07:15 PM
thanks for taking out the time to reply. I checked out the lomar. i think im gonna try that option. my spanish is good so that won't be a problem. my plan is to stay in pto pta a few days then head to sosua.
do you have any bar recommendations. compared to sosua how safe is malecon. I just heard about it from some people and would like to see it for myself.once again thanks for your reply and i appreciate the info
Sorry for slow response.

By safe, are you talking about being mugged? I wouldn't say walking alone in either place down deserted stretches late at night is 100% safe. In daylight, or at night in populated areas, anywhere in Pto Pta is safe, always provided you follow the usual advice (don't be or look drunk, don't flash money or jewellery, respect the locals however obnoxious they are). The difference is much of the Malecon does get deserted quite early at night so stick to the few frequented parts, like near Cristals.

Best bars for drinking or for picking up chicas? Can't help you with the former (not a drinker). I only live five mins walk from the Lomar so if you pay my moto transport and a refresco in each location I could show you in the afternoon some places for chicas, leaving you to visit them at night. State of my health at present prevents my roistering at night. But the whole point of visiting Pto Pta is to meet semi-pros or non-pros. If you want point and click with regular putas better head straight to Sosua.