PDA

View Full Version : BC OR SD

essexboy
01-19-2013, 08:17 AM
hi
in august when i have 6 weeks in dr and negril i will have to fly from sd to go to montego bay
i just wanted to ask that when i leave sosua i will stay for 3 nights in either bc or sd before i fly to jamaica which place would b better for chicas and nightlife?
i have read up on it but cant make up my mind
just wanted some advice which place has the better bars as i love to drink lol.
also which is cheaper but if the better place is the dearer one thats ok i will go there
cheers EB

greydread
01-19-2013, 11:11 AM
hi
in august when i have 6 weeks in dr and negril i will have to fly from sd to go to montego bay
i just wanted to ask that when i leave sosua i will stay for 3 nights in either bc or sd before i fly to jamaica which place would b better for chicas and nightlife?
i have read up on it but cant make up my mind
just wanted some advice which place has the better bars as i love to drink lol.
also which is cheaper but if the better place is the dearer one thats ok i will go there
cheers EB

There's over 3 million people in Santo Domingo (hint: there's only 2 million people on the entire island of Jamaica) so it is a major city with all the things that entails, night life, restaurants and Ho's for days and days and days.

Boca Chica is a little beach town, totally dependant upon tourism for its survival. There are more Ho's in Santo Domingo but you have to know where to find them. In Boca Chica nothing is hidden and if point and shoot is your thing then you will be better off there.

Also, cheap lodging in Santo Domingo starts at $55US a night. Cheap lodging in Bopca Chica starts at $25US a night although I'm more comfortable in the $45US+ accommodations which are numerous and offer ammenities like free breakfast, TV, AC, refrigerator, etc.

There is nowhere to swim in Santo Domingo that doesn't involve chlorine. Boca Chica is a beach town.

Santo Domingo is a 25 minute taxi ride from SDQ which costs $40. Boca Chica is a 5 minute taxi ride from SDQ which costs $20.

....up to you

BorisDaBulletDodger
01-19-2013, 11:51 AM
There's over 3 million people in Santo Domingo (hint: there's only 2 million people on the entire island of Jamaica) so it is a major city with all the things that entails, night life, restaurants and Ho's for days and days and days.

Boca Chica is a little beach town, totally dependant upon tourism for its survival. There are more Ho's in Santo Domingo but you have to know where to find them. In Boca Chica nothing is hidden and if point and shoot is your thing then you will be better off there.

Also, cheap lodging in Santo Domingo starts at $55US a night. Cheap lodging in Bopca Chica starts at $25US a night although I'm more comfortable in the $45US+ accommodations which are numerous and offer ammenities like free breakfast, TV, AC, refrigerator, etc.

There is nowhere to swim in Santo Domingo that doesn't involve chlorine. Boca Chica is a beach town.

Santo Domingo is a 25 minute taxi ride from SDQ which costs $40. Boca Chica is a 5 minute taxi ride from SDQ which costs $20.

....up to you

Or you can take the gua gua for 75 pesos, but I have no idea how to stop the fucker, or which way it goes from my only experience:rofl::rofl:

essexboy
01-19-2013, 11:52 AM
thanks mate
i think bc would be more up my street as its smaller and i am not really a city person
so the madejra hotel would b a good hotel near the action and beach yea?
cheers EB

greydread
01-19-2013, 06:08 PM
thanks mate
i think bc would be more up my street as its smaller and i am not really a city person
so the madejra hotel would b a good hotel near the action and beach yea?
cheers EB

Right in the middle of the action, 1.5 blocks from the beach.

DCIronman
01-19-2013, 06:15 PM
You really don't have to choose. It's really easy to do both. I did both on my very first trip to the DR.

trEPP33
01-19-2013, 10:46 PM
What's best for Chica's and nightlife? Hands down it is SD as it is larger, more women and much more things to do. Really though it is up to you and what you want to do. If you want a beach, BC. If you want ease, BC since in that small area you'll find chica's and a few things to do. If you do your research though you'll find there's much more to do and be had in SD. Oh and yes, they are close enough to do both. Spend a couple of nights in the capital and then ride on over to BC for a night or vice versa.

yayow
01-20-2013, 02:01 AM
Right in the middle of the action, 1.5 blocks from the beach.

Actually the Madajera(sp?) hotel is right across a small street, more like an alley, cross it and you will be on the beach.

essexboy
01-20-2013, 07:37 AM
thanks for all the info guys
i might pop down to bc in march for the weekend with vp just to try it out b4 august
is there a website for madejra hotel i cant find one?
i see the pics on a trip report and i like the room with all the mirrows lol but i am not sure what type of room that is
if i can get a number i will call them and ask
thanks for all the help
EB

Ritteach
01-20-2013, 08:48 AM

....up to you

i cannot remember when taxis cost only 20 Us and i have been coming here for over 16 years ( the first couple
Of years yes)

yayow
01-20-2013, 12:35 PM
i cannot remember when taxis cost only 20 Us and i have been coming here for over 16 years ( the first couple
Of years yes)

I think he is only talking how much it cost from the airport to the capital, and how much and how long a trip it is from the airport to boca.

You can still get a taxi ride from the airport to boca for $20 US, probably got to shop around a bit, and do some negotiating, but yeah you can do it.

Ritteach
01-20-2013, 01:07 PM
I think he is only talking how much it cost from the airport to the capital, and how much and how long a trip it is from the airport to boca.

You can still get a taxi ride from the airport to boca for $20 US, probably got to shop around a bit, and do some negotiating, but yeah you can do it.

25 Us yes ,20 extremley difficult, avg now 30

greydread
01-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Of years yes)

I hold up a $20 bill and say "Boca Chica". I have never not gotten a ride. Maybe you should choose a new method. Same with Santo Domingo, I'll offer 1200RD and wait until somebody takes it. Never failed me yet.

greydread
01-20-2013, 01:50 PM
25 Us yes ,20 extremley difficult, avg now 30Don't ask them how much. Tell them how much.

Ritteach
01-20-2013, 02:04 PM
I hold up a $20 bill and say "Boca Chica". I have never not gotten a ride. Maybe you should choose a new method. Same with Santo Domingo, I'll offer 1200RD and wait until somebody takes it. Never failed me yet.
Good for you ,(dont assume I ask)

MrHappy
01-20-2013, 02:22 PM

Now, now, Grey.... be honest. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds or more to find one.

I've heard urban legends about guys waiting over a MINUTE to find one.

BorisDaBulletDodger
01-20-2013, 03:55 PM

All the cabs were saying 30, after talking to some dude who looked like a supervisor, they said 25, after about 10 minutes I realized I have been standing outside lugging my luggage around over $5 and just paid the $25

The bigger problem I have, is if it is $40 to Santo Domingo, $30 to Boca Chica doesn't proportionally add up. I mean hauling ass to Santo DOmingo to the Jaragua must take about 30 minutes no? Its gotta be less then 10 minutes to Boca

greydread
01-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Now, now, Grey.... be honest. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds or more to find one.

I've heard urban legends about guys waiting over a MINUTE to find one.

Bro, didn't you tell these guys about the ole "go to arrivals and catch one unloading" routine? Nobody wants to dead head back into town, the shit just doesn't make sense. Some money is better than no money.

greydread
01-20-2013, 11:16 PM
All the cabs were saying 30, after talking to some dude who looked like a supervisor, they said 25, after about 10 minutes I realized I have been standing outside lugging my luggage around over $5 and just paid the $25

The bigger problem I have, is if it is $40 to Santo Domingo, $30 to Boca Chica doesn't proportionally add up. I mean hauling ass to Santo DOmingo to the Jaragua must take about 30 minutes no? Its gotta be less then 10 minutes to Boca

Exactly. Thus the $20 offer, I don't haul luggage around. I stand at the curb and make my offer of $20 to the guys who run up to me while enjoying a satisfying smoke. It's like fishing. Guys who can'y master the taxi game don't have a prayer against the Ho's.

greydread
01-20-2013, 11:18 PM
Good for you ,(dont assume I ask)

I'm assuming that you walk up to the guy with the yellow shirt and the clipboard and let him read the price to you.

Ritteach
01-21-2013, 08:22 AM
I'm assuming that you walk up to the guy with the yellow shirt and the clipboard and let him read the price to you.

I never argue with an idiot ,they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

BorisDaBulletDodger
01-21-2013, 08:37 AM
Exactly. Thus the $20 offer, I don't haul luggage around. I stand at the curb and make my offer of $20 to the guys who run up to me while enjoying a satisfying smoke. It's like fishing. Guys who can'y master the taxi game don't have a prayer against the Ho's.

Gonna try "Holding the $20 bill up" next time:corky: perhaps I will buy some bob marley dread wig and it will help/

I never got an opportunity to try it, since I rented a car last trip, but somebody suggested walking upstairs and waiting for a cab that is dropping off another customer, which I thought was brilliant.

MrHappy
01-21-2013, 08:40 AM
I never argue with an idiot ,they bring you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Where is there?

TNT72
01-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Gonna try "Holding the $20 bill up" next time:corky: perhaps I will buy some bob marley dread wig and it will help/

I never got an opportunity to try it, since I rented a car last trip, but somebody suggested walking upstairs and waiting for a cab that is dropping off another customer, which I thought was brilliant.

When I flew into SD, I tried going up to the drop off area, to get a cheaper taxi. It was later in the evening, and there weren't very many outgoing flights at that time, so I didn't catch a cheap taxi.

And I consider myself lucky that I didn't. I paid the taxi mafia price, but I got taxi mafia service. That was the trip that I dropped my DR in the taxi, and didn't remember until he drove off. We went up to the airport the next day. It wasn't really the phone I was worried about, but the SIM inside it. It had ALL my contacts, both for the DR and for work here.

We went to the head guy, and since I didn't remember what the driver looked like, they went up to every driver asking if they took me. After about 30 minutes, we found the driver. He went out to his car, and came back with my phone!!

In the end, it was definitely worth the extra $10 for me. (of course, most don't land in the condition that I do!)

essexboy
01-21-2013, 08:49 AM
does anyone the website for the madejra hotel please or a number for them?
cheers EB

BorisDaBulletDodger
01-21-2013, 08:55 AM
does anyone the website for the madejra hotel please or a number for them?
cheers EB

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?404597-Apartahotel-Madejra/page3

essexboy
01-21-2013, 09:52 AM
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?404597-Apartahotel-Madejra/page3

thanks mate
i have seen the link on page 1 on the thread but didnt think that was there own website

BorisDaBulletDodger
01-21-2013, 10:43 AM
thanks mate
i have seen the link on page 1 on the thread but didnt think that was there own website

You have ave an email address and phone number try asking them for the website not sure if they have one. If you find one or nit please report back in the thread and pay it forward will ya please?:wink:

latinlover7
01-21-2013, 11:26 AM
thanks mate

Many hotels don't have their own website and I don't believe they have their own either. If you email on Bocachicaplaya for a reservation you should get a reply from Roberto, an Italian who has done booking for many hotels in Boca Chica and used to do some booking help on bocachicabeach.net as well. His job is is to make reservations for hotels and anwer questions since many smaller hotels don't have people who speak fluent English on staff at all times. He is cool, speaks great english and back in the day has picked me up at the airport on 2 different occasions when many hotels used to offer free airport pickup or very cheap pickup depending on length of stay. Here is another link but probably is the same type of deal but does list number and contact info so maybe the management will answer on this one. http://www.hotel-republica-dominicana.com/aparta-hoteles-147-madejra-boca-chica.html If not just call. Good luck and if you go down the first weekend of March, you'll run into me there in BC.
Wolverine

essexboy
01-21-2013, 11:33 AM
thanks very much boris and latinlover for your help

greydread
01-21-2013, 11:58 AM
I never argue with an idiot ,they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

See? That's why you end up paying more for everything when you get to the island. I argue with idiots as soon as I get off the plane. I argue against "gringo" pricing on taxi rides, hyperinflated Punani, overpriced souveneirs, etc. etc. etc.

One thing I have learned about the Dominican Republic is that the path of least resistance is the path of highest price :wink: