PDA

View Full Version : For you cigar lovers

nunez_will
03-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Question about the pricing in Sosua for the brown sticks of gold.

From research aswel as recommended its best to buy em at Cafe Cubano in Sosua.
The prices are fixed ? or its normal to undercut the prices by at least half (as advised on most items/services you buy in 3de world country's)

Papirazzi always brings his own sticks from what i read.
Bringing sticks for 14 days seems a bit rough for me so wondering what the prices are compared to where i live.
Over here everything is taxed so high i doubt i can profit from bringing my own.

For example a Partagas nr 4 costs about +-10,20 euro single (i get 10 percent discount on buying em in boxes though) that is 13.30 USD atm.

Any info is much appreciated .

TNT72
03-05-2013, 07:26 PM
The prices are fixed at Cafe Cubano. Brian isn't out to screw people, by trying to price gouge.

Papi always brings his own sticks, but he also buys quite a few from Brian.

El-Rey
03-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Bians prices are reasonable and his stuff is legit. You can bring sticks that you favor as well.

nunez_will
03-06-2013, 01:15 PM
That sounds great.
I wont bother bringing any sticks then and just buy them there.
The travel is a bit to long and hectic for that, would be a shame if they are crushed before arrival.

Its a 10houre flight with a pit stop in Curacao and i have to travel to Holland to even get the airplane by train so :rofl:

Thanks for the info guys.

papirazzi
03-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Nunez I always bring sticks with me, but still go to Cafe Cubano for sticks that I haven't tried or that I like, but didn't bring. Keep in mind though that, even though his prices are reasonable his selection is limited...but still good non the less. His Cuban selection is pretty good, but pricey....I still partake though. He has a very..very good Partagas selection.

I would suggest bringing some of your favorite sticks with you though. It can be even more costly buying everyday.

MrHappy
03-09-2013, 09:57 PM
You'll find that the prices for sticks here are not as cheap as you would expect them to be.

Most of the cigars produced here are made in govt controlled tax free zones, and have to be exported. So, most local brand cigars you buy here have actually been produced here, sent out of the country, then imported by sellers.

You can do better on prices on the cigar auction sites, if you know your way around.

I also make sure I stop in Brian's place to pick up an anonymous robusto or two, just to help keep him in business.

tarzan
03-10-2013, 06:25 PM
I buy a few sticks at Brian's place every trip. Decent selection, fair prices for the quality.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=72447&d=1362954152

papirazzi
03-10-2013, 07:56 PM
I buy a few sticks at Brian's place every trip. Decent selection, fair prices for the quality.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=72447&d=1362954152)

Nice selection there Tarzan....I LOVE those 107s....as a matter of fact I highly recommend them to anyone that wants to dip there
feet in the leaf world!!!!

tarzan
03-11-2013, 01:00 AM
Nice selection there Tarzan....I LOVE those 107s....as a matter of fact I highly recommend them to anyone that wants to dip there
feet in the leaf world!!!!

I think I may have first tried them after your recommendation on your older reports:iconTU:. I found it to be a good smoke too.

JayJet
03-11-2013, 11:18 PM
I think I may have first tried them after your recommendation on your older reports:iconTU:. I found it to be a good smoke too.

107's huh? I might have to try that when I'm down. I heard that most Dominican cigars have a mild flavor. If so, that would suit me just fine. I don't care for spiciness. What's the approx cost per stick on these?

tarzan
03-12-2013, 09:46 AM
107's huh? I might have to try that when I'm down. I heard that most Dominican cigars have a mild flavor. If so, that would suit me just fine. I don't care for spiciness. What's the approx cost per stick on these?

At Brian's place it runs around 300 pesos.

continentalmike
03-13-2013, 04:38 AM
That sounds great.
I wont bother bringing any sticks then and just buy them there.
The travel is a bit to long and hectic for that, would be a shame if they are crushed before arrival.

Its a 10houre flight with a pit stop in Curacao and i have to travel to Holland to even get the airplane by train so :rofl:

Thanks for the info guys.

Get the sticks of your choice in a box at the taxfree at Schiphol; say a box of Partagas No. 4. They will travel in the overhead cabin so no crushing..

Bring those down and supplement them with some smaller stuff from Brian's store.

That is what I do; of course I go overboard and bring 2 boxes, then buy another box in the DR; then buy more at Brian's... but hey mine are waiting for me in my place when I return, although I'm not too sure about the whiskey I left there; one of my brother-in-laws might get a sip if mom isn't looking :)

nunez_will
03-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Get the sticks of your choice in a box at the taxfree at Schiphol; say a box of Partagas No. 4. They will travel in the overhead cabin so no crushing..

Bring those down and supplement them with some smaller stuff from Brian's store.

That is what I do; of course I go overboard and bring 2 boxes, then buy another box in the DR; then buy more at Brian's... but hey mine are waiting for me in my place when I return, although I'm not too sure about the whiskey I left there; one of my brother-in-laws might get a sip if mom isn't looking :)

That is a good idea mike ty.
Next time i stop by my local cigar shop i need to start looking for a travel humidor so i can worry less when i travel with em.

But this might work great, i haven't thought about the tax free shop yet.
I better check in early to find it. am used to Brussels not Schiphol :smile:

continentalmike
03-18-2013, 04:13 AM
That is a good idea mike ty.
Next time i stop by my local cigar shop i need to start looking for a travel humidor so i can worry less when i travel with em.

But this might work great, i haven't thought about the tax free shop yet.
I better check in early to find it. am used to Brussels not Schiphol :smile:

No problemo...

You don't really need a humidor in the DR - the tropical climate with higher moisture will keep your cigars good; provided you smoke them within reasonable time and keep them in a humid environment, like putting a washcloth into the drawer where you keep them in..