PDA

View Full Version : 04/2013 - Extended Vacation ! .. Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being charged

ROVER
04-13-2013, 01:22 AM
Extended vacation ! Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being charged

By Alison Sanders (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/authors/alison-sanders/)
Comments (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/family-dominican-republic-prison-hell-2496063#comments)

Family of Dominican Republic prison hell mum in £30k fight for justice

24 Feb 2013 00:01 (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/by-date/24-02-2013) Over the past seven months, Cardiff mum Nicole Reyes has lost everything – her husband, her home and her freedom.

http://i3.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article2512851.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/nicole-reyes-was-involved-in-a-motor-accident-in-which-her-husband-jorges-died-563248236-2512851.jpg

Locked in a prison cell with two other women more than 4,000 miles from her children and family is a world away from the life Nicole Reyes dreamed of when she moved to the Dominican Republic nine years ago.

click link for full story

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/family-dominican-republic-prison-hell-2496063

BorisDaBulletDodger
04-13-2013, 02:23 AM
Extended vacation ! Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being charged

By Alison Sanders (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/authors/alison-sanders/)
Comments (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/family-dominican-republic-prison-hell-2496063#comments)

24 Feb 2013 00:01 (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/by-date/24-02-2013) Over the past seven months, Cardiff mum Nicole Reyes has lost everything – her husband, her home and her freedom.

Click to see pic (http://i3.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article2512851.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/nicole-reyes-was-involved-in-a-motor-accident-in-which-her-husband-jorges-died-563248236-2512851.jpg)

Locked in a prison cell with two other women more than 4,000 miles from her children and family is a world away from the life Nicole Reyes dreamed of when she moved to the Dominican Republic nine years ago.

click link for full story

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/family-dominican-republic-prison-hell-2496063

Thanks thats just about the most awful thing I read in a while

No Worries
04-13-2013, 04:31 AM
Its stories like this that make me question if it is worth coming to the DR at all. All it takes is one mistake and you can be fucked for life. Its scary that the justice system down here is so fucked up.

On the other side of the coin. What kind of woman sends her pre teen children away and stays in the DR without them? Her number 1 priority should have been her kids! When they wanted to go back home, she should have gotten on a plane and went with them.

BigLongBeach
04-13-2013, 05:10 AM
They should be a lot more to the story there to many holes. You don't accidentally run over your husband very often...

She lives in rd and she knows if you get in trouble you will sit in jail for 3-6months before you even get seen by the judge.

Also 6months and 30k euros! come on that is way enough to pay off the fam of the victim.

no disrespect to the fam and victim but this is a puff piece by that journalist. There has to be a lot more to it

Majicman
04-13-2013, 08:23 AM
To say this is fucked up would be an understatement. I'm with BLB though, there is more to this story than is being told. And I quote Judge Judy, "if it doesn't make sense, it isn't true". Ok, the husband had no lights on his moto but why in the hell was she following him so close that her jeep could touch the bike?

And people in the US think it's crazy bullshit that you can be held 24-48 hours for questioning without being charged.

gdogg
04-13-2013, 12:21 PM
For those who fear clicking on links, lol:

24 Feb 2013 00:01

Over the past seven months, Cardiff mum Nicole Reyes has lost everything – her husband, her home and her freedom.

Living on a diet of prunes and crackers, she has spent the last nightmarish seven months in jail, first in the Puerto Plata part of the island and now in Santiago, after being arrested on suspicion of killing her husband.

But many months down the line and her mother Jeannette Clements, from Rumney in Cardiff, says the authorities have not yet charged her with any crime.

Nicole was arrested after her husband Jorge, 38, died in a crash on July 10 last year.

Jeannette explained how Nicole had been to visit friends at a hotel that night.

She said: “He was on his motorbike and she was in a Jeep.

“He was travelling in the middle of the road and she told him to get over to the other side because it was dangerous.”

She said he moved over but that some cars were coming the other way and so she slightly moved over but tipped the back end of the bike.

Jeannette, 61, said: “He’d always be laughing and joking on his motorbike. But he had no crash helmet on and no lights.”

She said her daughter realised he was under the Jeep and was screaming to people standing nearby for help.

But Jeannette claimed the culture there is not to help during an accident for fear of becoming involved or blamed.

She said Nicole, 37, asked police to take her to the hospital but that she was instead taken to the police station where officers told her Jorge was dead.

For the first six weeks, Jeanette said her daughter was kept in a prison in Puerto Plata.

She said: "She saw people being beaten and people shackled against the wall on chains."

She said the prison had no windows, that her daughter had to sleep on the floor with a bucket in the corner for a toilet.

Jeannette said they even had to send money so Nicole would be fed. In the meantime, Nicole hasn’t even had the chance to grieve for her husband.

“All she keeps saying is ‘I want to come out and grieve for him’,” she said. “If he was alive he would go crazy about the way she’s been treated. He idealised her and he loved the children.”

The couple met after Nicole, her children Leah and Luke and parents Jeannette and Michael, moved to the Dominican Republic nine years ago.

She worked as a holiday rep for Thomas Cook and the pair married a year later in May 2007.

She said her daughter was highly thought of and did a lot of charity work there.

Jeannette said Nicole and Jorge were very much in love and that he idolised his wife and her children.

“They had an amazing life and were so happy,” she said.

Jeannette and Michael moved back to Cardiff about five years ago when Leah, 17, and Luke, 16, missed life at home.

The children now live with their grandparents in Rumney and speak to their mum on the phone every day.

She said they are doing "fantastic" but said they are doing it for her sake.

She said: "Leah tells Nicole to keep her chin up but Nicole said it should be me saying that not my daughter telling me.

"We all have our off days, some days I can't even get out of bed."

Jeannette said the phone calls are the only thing keeping Nicole going.

She said: “My daughter is in a bad way, she’s very low. I come off the phone and cry. I can’t believe she’s in that position. The only thing keeping her going now is ringing here.”

Jeannette said she rings four times around lunchtime and another four times at night – at a cost of around £8 a day.

Jeannette said: “She said she has never felt so alone and then apologises that it’s costing more money. But the money doesn’t matter. If I have got to sell the house I’ll sell the house and we would do that. The most important thing is her life. Being a Christian person I wouldn’t be doing all this if I knew she wasn’t innocent.”

Jeannette said she and her husband have spent around £30,000 over the last seven months and that any money is now “exhausted”.

She said this has included thousands of pounds on Nicole’s legal fees as her lawyer appeals to the Supreme Court to get her case moved to another court because of fears of corruption.

But Jeannette said this could take months and so Nicole faces more time waiting in jail.

The couple also had to pay for security to look after Nicole’s home and the home they had bought out there.

Jeannette said: “She had three dogs and left the house that night expecting to go back there later.”

But despite paying around £600 a month for security the couple flew out in December to find both homes had been stripped of everything.

Jeannette said: “She can never go back there. She’s lost everything. Her husband, her dogs and her home.”

The couple sold the properties so they could use the money to help Nicole.

But the couple said they were devastated when the cash cheque, along with the rest of their hand luggage, was stolen from the airport and said they were told it had been cashed in America.

They also have to pay for a doctor to see Nicole and her medication, after she was recently diagnosed with a series of conditions involving inflammation of the bowel.

She added: "We were told her intestine is infected with bacteria. She has also put on a stone in weight because her body is so swollen from the infection."

Jeannette and Michael are now appealing for help in trying to get their daughter back to the UK.

“I want to do anything I possibly can to get my daughter out of the conditions she’s in.

“If she has to stay in prison could they get her to this country, because I know it’s not going to happen overnight, and look at the evidence. We’ve got enough to show that this was an accident.

“If it was held in this country, I know my daughter would walk away anyway because of the evidence.”

She said she has even considered taking her daughter’s plight to Prime Minister David Cameron.

She said: “I have thought about going to stand outside Number 10 to explain the situation.

“I know my daughter is innocent and I will do anything in my power to get her out.

“I would appeal to anyone who can help to get her back here.”

SeaWeed
04-13-2013, 12:52 PM
sad story mon........evidently the cops think they had an argument......
and the wife was chasing the husband and knocked him off the bike and then ran over him.....

there is a lot for saying for using taxis etc....versus maybe having some drinks(not saying they did)
and then getting on a scooter or drive a car....things happen real quick in paradise.....trust mi
one of the major reasons mi never got a car or a scooter this winter.....because of this plus taxis were cheap......

not surprised about the house being stripped.......that is what happens when nobody has your back in paradise.....

whynotme
04-13-2013, 12:55 PM
sad story mon........evidently the cops think they had an argument......
and the wife was chasing the husband and knocked him off the bike and then ran over him.....

there is a lot for saying for using taxis etc....versus maybe having some drinks(not saying they did)
and then getting on a scooter or drive a car....things happen real quick in paradise.....trust mi
one of the major reasons mi never got a car or a scooter this winter.....because of this plus taxis were cheap......

not surprised about the house being stripped.......that is what happens when nobody has your back in paradise.....

or you are a farang and he is a local and you just ran over him and killed him:rofl:

el toro
04-13-2013, 01:26 PM
It is a horrible story and we all know the justice system is terrible to say the least there. I know the embassies can't do much regarding short terms stays "pending investigation", but thought that they may at least be able to help see that she was going to be charged after some months passed at least.

ROVER
04-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Here is a link with several short videos showing the all out efforts the family is making having fundraisers and lobbying the highest levels of the U.K. government for intervention.

Two points I'd like to make.

1. This girl has a really Nice Rack and IMHO a very cute face and body too. :ilike:

2. People reasoning that there must be more to the story really don't understand the Dominican Legal System.

This is pattern procedure for what happens when a foreigner has a car accident and a Dominican is
killed accident or not.

If you read the above story it correctly states that people (Dominicans) do not stop if they witness a car
accidents for fear that they will be charged with involvement and these are Dominicans. They understand the
system.

Trying to rationalize this by thinking it doesn't make sense so there must be more to the story is an indication
that one has not fully come to terms with yet ....This is The Dominican Republic ...and NOTHING rarely makes
sense when compared to western civilization procedures. Words like logic, fairness, justice Do not apply.
Remember in some Dominican prisons if nobody from the outside brings you food you do not eat because they
will not feed you. Does that make sense ?

Most people, myself being one do not have a family or friend support system like this girl does back home that would be as politically savvy and persistent and so I (you) would be fucked worse than she is. Allot of the people who you would be counting on at such a time would be so overwhelmed, befuddled, and confused by their first interaction with The Dominican Republic and its Legal system they would feel totally helpless and powerless and throw their hands up in frustration in short order.

In the end I'm not even sure if all her families efforts will have any effect and if she was left to her own devices with no help would be let out in the same time. Whenever that may be.

Click Link

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/topic/dominican-republic/

snoozer
04-13-2013, 03:10 PM
They should be a lot more to the story there to many holes. You don't accidentally run over your husband very often...

She lives in rd and she knows if you get in trouble you will sit in jail for 3-6months before you even get seen by the judge.

Also 6months and 30k euros! come on that is way enough to pay off the fam of the victim.

no disrespect to the fam and victim but this is a puff piece by that journalist. There has to be a lot more to it

There was a thread on DR1 about this a while ago and there is a lot more to this story. The same can be said for just about any event that hits the news in the DR .

Rubicon
04-13-2013, 03:58 PM
If you read the above story it correctly states that people (Dominicans) do not stop if they witness a car
accidents for fear that they will be charged with involvement and these are Dominicans. They understand the
system.

Can't say that's ever been my observations. I've seen them cause traffic jams and other potential accidents stopping to "help" and stand in the way trying to get a look at what's happening.

snoozer
04-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Can't say that's ever been my observations. I've seen them cause traffic jams and other potential accidents stopping to "help" and stand in the way trying to get a look at what's happening.

They help by throwing an injured person in the back of a pick up or on a moto, regardless of their injuries.

ROVER
04-13-2013, 06:49 PM

They help by throwing an injured person in the back of a pick up or on a moto, regardless of their injuries.

If an accident takes place inside a large municipality/city or on a major heavily traveled road the Dominicans become emboldened and will usually stop or of course if they personally know the individual. When something happens in the campo or on a small road with nobody else around chances become much less that someone will stop. They are terrified that the next person to arrive will tell the police that when they got there this guy was laying bleeding and you were the only one around.

To this day I'll never forget the sight some 6+ years ago of being in a guaga in route to Jarabacoa. We came across a guy in his fifties maybe 60 on the side of the road convulsing with foam coming out of his mouth and bleeding from his head. Everyone just kept going but the guaga driver, I can only guess feeling emboldened having 15 passengers as witnesses stopped. Then other cars stopped when they seen he did.

People got on their cells and started calling the police but nobody went near him. I wanted to take a shirt out of my pack and use it to slow the bleeding but I followed the locals lead and stood back. Within minutes like a miracle coming the opposite way from over the mountain top an ambulance appeared coming directly to us. We all new it was a coincidence and people left their vehicles to stop it.

The ambulance attendants got out looked at the guy and explained they could not touch him until the police arrived and made a report. We remained there and the guy just bleed out and died before the police or anyone else arrived. I still have the images of him in my mind till this day.

It was that day and that experience that opened my eyes and I began to really comprehend just how backwards of a society the island of Hispaniola truly is.

Rubicon
04-13-2013, 09:36 PM
The ambulance attendants got out looked at the guy and explained they could not touch him until the police arrived

You know, as hard as it might be to believe, for my first 3 or 4 years in Puerto Plata I didn't think they had ambulances. It took that long before I saw the first one.

JD426
04-13-2013, 10:30 PM
The contrast between the DR and the USA for emerg medical attention is pretty incredible..
People bleeding out on the side of the road before anyone will touch them.. Not providing services IN hospitals for life threathening injuries til they have proof of payment.
and here in the usa, an illegal can get his fingers mangled in a Kitchen mix machine (non life threathening) . walks into a hospital, gets $185,000 of Hospital service including a Plastic surgeon (thats a real example btw) , and just walks away from the Bill and the rest of us just pay for it..
Amazing.
Somewhere in the middle of those 2 extremes one would think would be happy medium ..
really makes your think though... Kind of scary they would deliberately let another human being die on the side of the road like a Dog.

leaseno
04-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Nobody should want to be in a foreign prison without any bail or pending release date. She may not even speak fluent Spanish but the longer she is in prison she will be very fluent. The story is terrible and the fact that she may have not been able to explain herself and was taken to the police station before going to the hospital. Who knows what she said to the police or what the police thought she said or interpreted. The story does not even say if she had a lawyer shortly after they held her at the police station. There probably is more to the story but either way when you are unfamiliar with another country's legal system and a police force where there are few Sherlock Holmes, it is just scary to be locked up and no one has charged you for a crime. She is damn near hospitalized with bacteria growing in her intestines and corrupt security how do you pay around £600 a month for security and they still find that the homes have been stripped of everything. Horrible story.

ROVER
04-14-2013, 10:05 AM
UPDATE

Last week 4/7/2013 marks the 9 month of her imprisonment in a Dominican Jail without yet a charge being filed against her.

Jimmydr
04-14-2013, 10:05 AM
UPDATE

Last week 4/7/2013 marks the 9 month of her imprisonment in a Dominican Jail without yet a charge being filed against her.

Maybe shoe should have hired a lawyer or something?

ROVER
04-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Maybe shoe should have hired a lawyer or something?

Had you clicked the links and read the story you would have read

" The lawyer representing a woman from Cardiff, who has been held in a jail in the Dominican Republic for nine months, has told ITV News that they are trying to move her trial to another town on the island."

and you also would have read

" The family of a Cardiff mother-of-two who is in jail on a Caribbean island say they need to raise £65,000 so that she can return home.

Nicole Reyes, who is originally from Rumney, has been in prison for nine months without charge following an incident in which her husband died.
Jeannette Clements has recently returned from the Dominican Republic where she saw her daughter Nicole in prison, where she says conditions were poor.
She also met the family of Nicole's husband Jorges, who died when the car she was driving home hit the motorbike he was travelling on.
Nicole Reyes is due in court on April 10th. Jeannette says that the family have now agreed to drop the charges before that hearing if they receive £65,000. "

Now erase your post and this one so as to spare yourself an embarrassment....:rofl:

Jimmydr
04-14-2013, 10:19 AM
If you clicked the links and read the story you would have read

" The lawyer representing a woman from Cardiff, who has been held in a jail in the Dominican Republic for nine months, has told ITV News that they are trying to move her trial to another town on the island."

" The family of a Cardiff mother-of-two who is in jail on a Caribbean island say they need to raise £65,000 so that she can return home.

Nicole Reyes, who is originally from Rumney, has been in prison for nine months without charge following an incident in which her husband died.
Jeannette Clements has recently returned from the Dominican Republic where she saw her daughter Nicole in prison, where she says conditions were poor.
She also met the family of Nicole's husband Jorges, who died when the car she was driving home hit the motorbike he was travelling on.
Nicole Reyes is due in court on April 10th. Jeannette says that the family have now agreed to drop the charges before that hearing if they receive £65,000. "

Now erase your post and this one so as to spare yourself an embarrassment.

To be honest, I really don't care. How many ISOC guys were held for 9 months, none.

JD426
04-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Had you clicked the links and read the story you would have read

Now erase your post and this one so as to spare yourself an embarrassment....:rofl:

I think he means a DOMINICAN LAWYER (with connections) .. not some uptight English Twat ( no offense to brits)... but that stuffy lawywer does not sound like he has an effing CLUE how things really work in the DR. it will take him years to get her out. Dom's are macho fucks, they wont bend unless they get pressure from above within their own country.

with the right connections u can be on the next plane OUT with a dead hooker in your hotel room.. just the way it is.
I highly doubt her "husband" Jorge or whatever his name is , had any connections either. its not even about money, from the little I read.
Its all posturing, and the Dom's will not bend to some brit Barrister or whatever he calls himself ..its not his country.

ROVER
04-14-2013, 12:00 PM
I think he means a DOMINICAN LAWYER (with connections) .. not some uptight English Twat ( no offense to brits)... but that stuffy lawywer does not sound like he has an effing CLUE how things really work in the DR. it will take him years to get her out. Dom's are macho fucks, they wont bend unless they get pressure from above within their own country.

with the right connections u can be on the next plane OUT with a dead hooker in your hotel room.. just the way it is.
I highly doubt her "husband" Jorge or whatever his name is , had any connections either. its not even about money, from the little I read.
Its all posturing, and the Dom's will not bend to some brit Barrister or whatever he calls himself ..its not his country.

From what I read I believe they do have a Dominican Lawyer

Quote from story

" The lawyer representing a woman from Cardiff, who has been held in a jail in the Dominican Republic for nine months, has told ITV News that they are trying to move her trial to another town on the island.
Eduardo Trueba says they don't believe they can get a fair trial because of local media reporting of the case. He says it is very unusual to appeal for a case to be moved, and they would need "strong proof for this to happen."

"It's not going that well. We are actually trying to move the case. The reason for this is that a very bad atmosphere has been created against Nicole Reyes, and basically the whole town thinks that Nicole is guilty.

Eduardo Trueba, Nicole's Lawyer"

Google search shows he's from Santiago. see link below

http://www.oficinajmcabralybaez.com.do/abogados.php?lang=en&abogado=eduardo_a_trueba

I hear of people talking about getting a well connected lawyer in the D.R. and he/she can get you a get out of jail free card for anything. While I'm sure that's true I think the average gringo will find themselves in a very different situation. As stated on Dominican Watchdog

"Dominican Watchdog strongly recommends that you do not start a lawsuit unless it’s the last and final option. Lawyers in the Dominican Republic are substantially overcharging foreigners with as much as 500-800 % and they do not have a malpractice insurance.

Furthermore it’s not unusual that lawyers from both sides are “operating under an unwritten mutual agreement” of complicating court cases especially among foreigners. The reason for that is that the longer the case will run, the more they will be able to charge their clients."

Unless you or a family member are very well connected or personally know a well connected Dominican Lawyer for a very long time I'm with Dominican Watchdog on this one and suspect from my experience with Dominicans he/she will be more inclined to drag out this giant payday for all they can rather than working expeditiously and calling in favors on your behalf.

P.S. can't say U.S. lawyers are much better in this regard either.

ROVER
05-16-2013, 10:17 PM
It's now 10 months and this girl is still being held in a Dominican prison without a charge being filed against her.

The family held fundraisers and raised the 40,000 Euros ( $51,460.00 U.S.) and paid the family this agreed upon sum to drop the case so she can be freed.

Trouble is after the Dominican guys family took the money either they or the D.R. police or some fiscal prick decided they now want more cash. ..... Total Scumbags.

Click link and watch the video

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/story/2013-02-21/familys-fight-to-free-daughter/

rahsta
05-16-2013, 10:27 PM
It's now 10 months and this girl is still being held in a Dominican prison without a charge being filed against her.

The family held fundraisers and raised the 40,000 Euros ( $51,460.00 U.S.) and paid the family this agreed upon sum to drop the case so she can be freed.

Trouble is after the Dominican guys family took the money either they or the D.R. police or some fiscal prick decided they now want more cash. ..... Total Scumbags.

They could of hired ex-military men to break her out for that amount.

wreckless
05-17-2013, 03:06 AM
In the UK we use pounds not Euros so the amount the family, Lawyers and Police got was alot more than stated yet she still remains in Prison. It was mentioned that £600 a month was paid for security for her property, thats close to $906 a month. Yet her property still got striped of its contents.That does not sound right to me. I think the Lawyers in conjunction with the Fiscal really fucked her and her family over.

Great family this women married herself into but they were always gonna get as much as they could out of this bad situation. Silly Bitch, there is enough Carribbean and African bums living in Cardiff she could have shacked up with and got her money drained there. She knew the guy less then a year then married him. Maybe i am being a bit harsh, alot of these guys can really turn it on and make these women think they are the most beautiful creatures on the planet. Another question which sticks out, why was he on a scooter and not in the jeep? On the other hand she could be guilty.

Over a year ago a friend of mine was involved in a road accident with a guy on a motor bike in Sousa. The guy was fucked. My friend got on his phone and called his landlady, who sent her daughter who is a Lawyer over to the station. She arrives and stops the Police from throwing him in jail. She does this by speaking to the Police Captain and fisca and a deal is done.

My friend is driven to the bank by his Lawyer, $10,000 is transfered to the bank and the money is given to the Lawyer who pays all those involved in the case. She writes the Police report. All parties go to court that same day and the case is thrown out as it was found that the motor bike guy was driving recklessly.

My friend was told that if he had been put in jail before she had arrived and that if the bike guy's family lawyered up quicker and if the case had gone to Puerto Plata he would have had to pay alot more money. Alot of ifs there.

So the next time you are in Sousa and get into a jam, innocent or guilty have your Lawyer's number at hand and $10,000 to draw on if you do not want to spend time in jail. Thats why when i travel down i always have travel insurance and money in the account in case of an emergency.

MrHappy
05-17-2013, 07:37 AM

Let me see if I got this right: She kills a guy with her car.

Her family pays the victims family $51,460. You're saying that now she should be set free and forget about the murder charges?

rahsta
05-17-2013, 08:39 AM

Her family pays the victims family $51,460. You're saying that now she should be set free and forget about the murder charges?

To me it seems that is how it works. Why even pay the family any money? It was an accident. How many other people does see he have to pay?

MrHappy
05-17-2013, 08:46 AM
To me it seems that is how it works. Why even pay the family any money? It was an accident. How many other people does see he have to pay?

What makes you think it was an accident? She was drunk, they had been arguing, and she ran back and forth over the guy 2-3 times. Does that sound like an accident?

The Sage
05-17-2013, 10:26 AM
When I read the first reports of this happening I figured she had a spat of temporary insanity and murdered the fellow. You just don't accidentally change direction to run over a person with your vehicle more than once. Why people now seem to want to ignore that is beyond me.

What makes you think it was an accident? She was drunk, they had been arguing, and she ran back and forth over the guy 2-3 times. Does that sound like an accident?

ROVER
05-17-2013, 10:37 AM

Happy where did you read this ? Was it a reputable source or was it just DR1 hypothesizing ?

I never read that version anywhere but surely could of missed it.

That's what dudes family agreed to which makes me even more suspect that this is nothing more than an accident. If somebody intentionally murdered my brother/son etc. I wouldn't be negotiating get out of jail free money.

Point is they agreed to this deal and then after they got the money reneged. Innocent or guilty only lesson here for the rest of us is if you get into a jam in the D.R. your fault or not buckle up its gonna be a rough ride.

MrHappy
05-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Happy where did you read this ? Was it a reputable source or was it just DR1 hypothesizing ?

I never read that version anywhere but surely could of missed it.

That's what dudes family agreed to which makes me even more suspect that this is nothing more than an accident. If somebody intentionally murdered my brother/son etc. I wouldn't be negotiating get out of jail free money.

Point is they agreed to this deal and then after they got the money reneged. Innocent or guilty only lesson here for the rest of us is if you get into a jam in the D.R. your fault or not buckle up its gonna be a rough ride.

Define "reputable source" LOL...

It came out in most of the local papers, and I seem to remember seeing it on DR1 as well. But most sources were aligned on it being intentional. Eyewitnesses supposedly saw her running over him repeatedly. They were both intoxicated at the time.

In many cases of this nature the accused is given jail time and restitution to be paid. In most cases here, the family will take the money as soon as they receive an acceptable offer.

In the case of this guys family, they got a little over 2 mm waved in their face. That's more than the kid would have probably earned in a lifetime.

JD426
05-17-2013, 12:03 PM

Maybe thats what people are not grasping.. This may not have been an accident. And if thats the case, the Dom justice system is not like ours, where for example there would be the CRIMINAL charges, and then Later the CIVIL suit.. In the civil suit here in the US is where you get monetary judgement.
But I dont know much about the Dom justice system, but are they perhaps trying to get all parties Paid, because they KNOW she is guilty, and what would be the point of JAILING her for 20 years ? They rather collect whatever they can, and then let her go back to her country, as guilty as she may be..

IS that how it works ?
Cuz I think people are looking at this case with an American Justice system mentality, all the while assuming she is INNOCENT, merely because she has NOT been charged yet with the Murder, or manslaughter. Im just guessing here but if the physical evidence is there, then the autorities can play this any way they want, within their system and way of doing things.

/////. If somebody intentionally murdered my brother/son etc. I wouldn't be negotiating get out of jail free money.

You see, this right here... unless you are DOMINICAN, how do you make this assumption ? they dont think like we do..
A sum of MONEY, is worth MORE to a DOMINICAN than the guilty party spending LIFE in jail..... they get nothing from a person spending life in jail.
with $50K , they at least GET something.. you are using 1st world Logic, in a 3rd world country..

JuanElGriego
05-17-2013, 12:19 PM
You see, this right here... unless you are DOMINICAN, how do you make this assumption ? they dont think like we do..
A sum of MONEY, is worth MORE to a DOMINICAN than the guilty party spending LIFE in jail..... they get nothing from a person spending life in jail.
with $50K , they at least GET something.. you are using 1st world Logic, in a 3rd world country.

I thought the exact same thing when i read that line from Rover.

The only thing i would say differently is that its not so much that the money is worth more "to a Dominican", but its worth more to a poor Dominican ... and you can probably replace "Dominican" with just about any other people if they found themselves in a similar situation.

But you're right about their thinking in their present situation. "He's dead, he's not coming back, so what's the best we can make out of this horrible situation".

MrHappy
05-17-2013, 12:34 PM

The only thing i would say differently is that its not so much that the money is worth more "to a Dominican", but its worth more to a poor Dominican ... and you can probably replace "Dominican" with just about any other people if they found themselves in a similar situation.

But you're right about their thinking in their present situation. "He's dead, he's not coming back, so what's the best we can make out of this horrible situation".

And for what it's worth, Jails here are full of folks that have done their time, but can't get out because they don't have the money to pay the settlement.

One really has to live here for a while to understand how the justice and jail system works, to grasp why it really is incredibly ignorant to come down here to do any kind of illegal activity, be it pedo, drugs, robbery, etc...

rahsta
05-17-2013, 07:42 PM

I didnt read that in the article. Where does it say that?
I did see something about the Dominican family asking fot 65,000 dollars to drop charges.

ROVER
05-17-2013, 10:52 PM

Though I know there are some that would think like this I wouldn't make it a blanket statement.

People are people. The love for a brother, son, cousin, friend runs deep in a many poor or not and and justice or even vengeance is what they would want ...not money.

JD426
05-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Though I know there are some that would think like this I wouldn't make it a blanket statement.

People are people. The love for a brother, son, cousin, friend runs deep in a many poor or not and and justice or even vengeance is what they would want ...not money.

If she did a Jodi Arias on him (slit his throat etc) , then YES of course..revenge would be the main motive.
.. but they were both drunk, probably arguing, who knows, .. its DOMESTIC, and even if she ran him over several times, it does not sound premeditated. it was in the moment so to speak.. Happens all the time down there, but usually to women. Dominicans understand this. Not that any ones life is worth less than another persons, but one has to look at the whole picture.. Who knows maybe he was cheating on her, and she got pissed.. a very likely scenario, imo..
.. What she did was wrong, (if it was NOT an accident), but locking her up for 20 years, won't bring him back... IMO ,the famly would much rather take the money , than the "revenge" you speak of... in a way it IS Revenge, if they could bankrupt her.

why would you assume the famlily DONT want money ? I find that much more unrealistic..

Do you remember that one Plane crash, where it was 100% the airlines fault ... Widow & families were coming out with Spreadsheets of what they thought their Spouses were worth in terms of EARNING potential over their lifetimes
... those families sure wasted no time going from "grieving" or "blaming" to "SHOW me the MONEY"...
different scenario perhaps, but just saying, when people cant get their loved one back, money seems to sooth a lot of pain.
just my .02

ROVER
07-17-2013, 12:34 AM
HELD IN A DOMINICAN JAIL FOR MORE THAN A YEAR NOW WITHOUT EVEN BEING CHARGED WITH A CRIME

Mum of Cardiff woman held without charge in a Dominican Republic prison for more than a year flies out to be by her side

15 Jul 2013 06:50 (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/by-date/15-07-2013) Jeanette Clements flies out to by near her daughter as authorities prepare to hear Nicole Reyes' case later this week

Share on print (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/mum-cardiff-woman-nicole-reyes-5099703#) Share on email (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/mum-cardiff-woman-nicole-reyes-5099703#)

http://i2.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article5100036.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/nicole-reyes-5100036.jpg Nicole Reyes
The mum of a Cardiff woman being held without charge in a Dominican Republic jail has flown out to the country to be by her daughter’s side.
Last month, mum-of-two Nicole Reyes, 37, told WalesOnline (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/welsh-mother-held-dominican-republic-4319688) she had thought of committing suicide “many times” since being jailed more than a year ago following the death of her husband, Jorge.
Nicole was arrested after Jorge, 38, died in a crash involving her Jeep and his motorbike on July 9 last year in the Dominican Republic – a crash she has always maintained was an accident.
This weekend her mum, Jeanette Clements, flew out to the country, which borders Haiti, to support her daughter in a hearing on Thursday that could decide her fate.
It comes as a bail hearing set for last week was cancelled at the last minute after hurricane warnings closed the courts.
Now, Jeanette says the authorities have re-organised Nicole’s bail hearing for the same day her case is due to be heard – something Jeanette fears might be a sign they do not intend to grant bail to the former Thomas Cook holiday rep.

http://i1.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article3408839.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Nicole-3408839.jpg Nicole and Jorge Reyes Speaking before she left Jeanette, who lives with her husband Michael in Rumney, Cardiff – where the couple care for Nicole’s teenage children Leah and Luke – said: “There was supposed to have been a hearing on Thursday for her to go out on bail but they have now put it on the same day as the case.
“The conditions are so bad out there that when there is a hurricane the prison floods and they all have to go to stay in the court house, with nothing but a bucket behind the desk for a toilet.
“They were all lined up to go this time but were told then that they didn’t have to. But I’ve been told the courts were all shut anyway.”
Despite being frustrated with the support Nicole has received from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Jeanette said they had been inundated with messages from well-wishers and thanked Cardiff South and Penarth MP Stephen Doughty for his help.

http://i1.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article5100038.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/jeanette-clements-5100038.jpg Jeanette Clements, mother of Nicole Reyes She is now hoping to raise more funds to help secure her daughter’s release and is urging supporters to sign a petition calling for Nicole to receive a fair trial.
She added: “What we want is for this trial to happen elsewhere. If it is held there, it will not be fair.
“So far, this petition has around 600 signatures. It’s my ambition to get it to 10,000.”
* To sign the petition, visit www.gopetition.co.uk (http://www.gopetition.co.uk) and search for “Nicole Reyes”.

I'm just a little confused. If reputable sources (DR1 ?) say she witnesses saw her run this guy over and then backup and run him over again and repeat this several times running him over again and again .....

Then how come the state can't get even one of these supposed witnesses and charge her ?

Just wondering ?? :dontknow:..:veryconfused:...:think:

MrHappy
07-17-2013, 07:38 AM
Without getting into this too much again..

Dominican law dictates that a person who is suspected of committing a crime can be sent to jail for 3 months to a year as preventative custody while the case is investigated.

When the protective custody time period expires, the person is charged or let go.

This woman got 1 year protective custody. Now the fun starts.

dquick
07-17-2013, 07:55 AM
I'm just a little confused. If reputable sources (DR1 ?) say she witnesses saw her run this guy over and then backup and run him over again and repeat this several times running him over again and again .....

Then how come the state can't get even one of these supposed witnesses and charge her ?

Just wondering ?? :dontknow:..:veryconfused:...:think:

Ummmm. After my one bad experience with the DR legal system.........If I witnessed something in the dominican republic, I would hesitate to get involved.

I agree that the DR legal system is backwards and not very fair. BUT what if this happened in the US or Canada? A wife hits her husband with a car "by accident" while he is on a motorcycle??:confused::confused::confused::confused: She would have definitely been charged with murder in the US or Canada.

The only fault of the DR system in this case, is that they are acting too slow. It will be a greater tragedy if this woman is released soon and never goes to trial. A year in a DR prison is no picnic, but is a small price to pay for MURDER!

ROVER
07-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Without getting into this too much again..

Dominican law dictates that a person who is suspected of committing a crime can be sent to jail for 3 months to a year as preventative custody while the case is investigated.

When the protective custody time period expires, the person is charged or let go.

This woman got 1 year protective custody. Now the fun starts.

That sucks. But at least its clear now whats going on. Thank you Happy for clarifying.

PapiQueRico
07-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Maybe the guy was wearing a hoodie.

ROVER
08-18-2013, 12:26 AM
Cardiff Mother Nicole Reyes Illegally Detained in Dominican Republic ‘Suffering From Cervical Cancer’

By Hannah Osborne (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/archives/articles/reporters/hannah-osborne/):

August 16, 2013 10:46 AM GMT

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2013/08/16/399909.gif Nicole Reyes, charged with murdering her husband, may have cervical cancer.

A mother from Cardiff who is currently illegally detained in prison in the Dominican Republic is being tested for cervical cancer after developing a lump in her groin.

Nicole Reyes, 37, has been held for the murder of her husband Jorge (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/438212/20130222/nicola-reyes-cardiff-mum-held-dominican-republic.htm), a Dominican Republic national, in a Santiago prison since 9 July last year.

Police arrested Reyes after Jorge died in a motorcycle accident on the Caribbean island, saying she purposefully hit him with her car. Reyes says he swerved in front of her to get out of the way of an oncoming car on a dark road.
She was charged with homicide last month but her lawyer, Eduardo Trueba, said that under Dominican Republic law, a suspect cannot be held for any more than a year without trial. She has not been offered bail, which if set is expected to be over £100,000, reports WalesOnline.

From Dominican Watchdog :

Dominican Watchdog Note | Nicole Reyes should have been released over five weeks ago, as the ONE year of preventive jail term had expired and the General Attorney's office has not made their case against her. Again this legal case is all about extorsion of money from both lawyers, families and probably other officials in the justice system, Happens everyday in the Dominican Republic!

dquick
08-18-2013, 07:36 AM
And this is the real problem in the DR. CORRUPTION!!!!

What will hurt tourism more? Prostitution in Boca Chica and Sosua, or foreigners held for more than a year without trial.

The sad part is that there is a genuine reason to suspect her of murder. BUT the judge and prosecutor is more interested in leveraging a payoff, than conducting a real investigation and trial.

WSJ3_Sith_Lord
08-18-2013, 08:05 AM
And this is business as usual.

If you are in a car accident whether or not it is YOUR FAULT...you CAN be held indefinitely in this country.

And yet many people on the board continue to rent and drive in DR.

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a485/dotar_sojat_wsj3/1043971_10200199755388172_1753653406_n_zpsa3461dc3.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/dotar_sojat_wsj3/media/1043971_10200199755388172_1753653406_n_zpsa3461dc3.jpg.html)

What will hurt tourism more? Prostitution in Boca Chica and Sosua, or foreigners held for more than a year without trial.

The sad part is that there is a genuine reason to suspect her of murder. BUT the judge and prosecutor is more interested in leveraging a payoff, than conducting a real investigation and trial.

Jimmydr
08-18-2013, 08:57 AM

If there were no corruption, women would be getting what they deserve and pussy would cost $100 - $250 per hour there.

WickedWillie
08-18-2013, 09:10 AM

The sad part is that there is a genuine reason to suspect her of murder. BUT the judge and prosecutor AND THE VICTIMS FAMILY is more interested in leveraging a payoff, than conducting a real investigation and trial.

Changed that for you DQ to reflect what is actually happening.:wink:

ROVER
08-18-2013, 10:12 AM

This is the concept that allot of guys seem to have trouble getting their arms around.

It doesn't matter if you are right, wrong, innocent, or guilty.... once you are inside of The Dominican "Justice" System you have entered a realm of Legal Kidnapping ..pure and simple.

And this is business as usual.

If you are in a car accident whether or not it is YOUR FAULT...you CAN be held indefinitely in this country.

And yet many people on the board continue to rent and drive in DR.

Click to see pic (http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a485/dotar_sojat_wsj3/1043971_10200199755388172_1753653406_n_zpsa3461dc3.jpg)

It's O.K. WSJ3 now as long as they go into it with as they say.... "Eyes Wide Open"

Everybody's tolerance risk is different.

ROVER
08-18-2013, 10:18 AM

Further DQuick correction:

The sad part is that there is a genuine reason to suspect her of murder. BUT the judge and prosecutor, the family and the Lawyer (yes as in YOUR OWN LAWYER) is more interested in leveraging a payoff, than conducting a real investigation and trial.

You can count on one thing .. He/She will keep coming back to you with a higher and higher pay off price and legal fee.

Further.. Further .. DQuick correction ...This is fun ..:rofl:

What will hurt tourism more? Prostitution in Boca Chica and Sosua, or foreigners held for more than a year without trial. ..... [ Change to held for more than a year without even a charge being filed against you ]

Can anybody say Legal kidnapping ?

Malo
08-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Further DQuick correction:

You can count on one thing .. He/She will keep coming back to you with a higher and higher pay off price and legal fee.

When you have a cow, you milk it as often as possible.

JuanElGriego
08-18-2013, 10:57 AM

That makes sense, Willie.

But a year to negotiate something everyone can accept is an awfully long time.

They must still be world's apart for this to still be going on.

WSJ3_Sith_Lord
08-18-2013, 01:25 PM
This is the concept that allot of guys seem to have trouble getting their arms around.

It doesn't matter if you are right, wrong, innocent, or guilty.... once you are inside of The Dominican "Justice" System you have entered a realm of Legal Kidnapping ..pure and simple.

It's O.K. WSJ3 now as long as they go into it with as they say.... "Eyes Wide Open"

Don't get me wrong Rover I have driven in DR as well...and I have been going down to the land of milk and honey for more than 20 years...but it only takes that ONE time to get the chop that makes all the wet pussy and action figure pictures not worth it.

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a485/dotar_sojat_wsj3/dotar_sojat_wsj3035/1011423_509085265844915_1253656280_n_zpsc780a3ac.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/dotar_sojat_wsj3/media/dotar_sojat_wsj3035/1011423_509085265844915_1253656280_n_zpsc780a3ac.jpg.html)

WickedWillie
08-18-2013, 02:00 PM

From what I know from people that are close to this the only reason she is still in jail is down to her own sides arrogance/ignorance and stupidity.

Apparently a settlement amount to the victim's family was agreed upon some months ago and she could have been released on payment, but her family decided to fight to also clear her name.

Her side has changed lawyers at least once, adding to the delays and have now recently asked for a new judge.

Her side has failed to understand that the preventative sentence of 1 year allows time for the prosecution to prepare charges OR for a settlement to be reached if all parties are in agreement.

As the court has been informed that settlement is pending they have no option but to continue detaining her until such time this is done or not.

Her side mistakenly believe that solely because she has not been formally charged to date with anything she should by default be exonerated and released and are reluctant to part with what amounts to a bribe in their eyes.

It is the opinion of many that are close to this that should she eventually be charged she doesn't stand a cat in hell's chance of winning and would face 30 years.

Her side seem oblivious to this and are seemingly content to get their 15 minutes of fame.

onetosix
08-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Here is a link with several short videos showing the all out efforts the family is making having fundraisers and lobbying the highest levels of the U.K. government for intervention.

Two points I'd like to make.

1. This girl has a really Nice Rack and IMHO a very cute face and body too. :ilike:

2. People reasoning that there must be more to the story really don't understand the Dominican Legal System.

This is pattern procedure for what happens when a foreigner has a car accident and a Dominican is
killed accident or not.

system.

Trying to rationalize this by thinking it doesn't make sense so there must be more to the story is an indication
that one has not fully come to terms with yet ....This is The Dominican Republic ...and NOTHING rarely makes
sense when compared to western civilization procedures. Words like logic, fairness, justice Do not apply.
Remember in some Dominican prisons if nobody from the outside brings you food you do not eat because they
will not feed you. Does that make sense ?

Most people, myself being one do not have a family or friend support system like this girl does back home that would be as politically savvy and persistent and so I (you) would be fucked worse than she is. Allot of the people who you would be counting on at such a time would be so overwhelmed, befuddled, and confused by their first interaction with The Dominican Republic and its Legal system they would feel totally helpless and powerless and throw their hands up in frustration in short order.

In the end I'm not even sure if all her families efforts will have any effect and if she was left to her own devices with no help would be let out in the same time. Whenever that may be.

Click Link

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/topic/dominican-republic/

Your analysis Rover is spot on target. You seem to know and understand what a totally FUCKED UP country the DR is. Beautiful with many nice people, but at the same time what you said about "logic, reason, fairness, and justice" is absolutely spot on TRUE. Those words don't even exist in the DR. I have said for years now that the level of stupidity, ignorance, and incompetence in the DR is unsurpassed in any other country on planet earth, and believe me I have lived in and been to many around the globe. I traveled to the DR many times when I was still working in the US and then when I retired about 4 years ago I moved to the DR to live as my home base. However after a few years living in the DR, I could not take the fucked up bulllshit at every single turn of life anymore. So instead of just staying there and complaining about it like some do...I moved away to where things suited me better and I am now extremely happy with my life in Thailand. Yes, I get that there is no perfect place that I know of on the planet and there is bullshit stuff/corruption in every country, but I have never seen any place where it is so in your face almost constantly every day as in the DR. I wish it were different, but alas it is the truth about this beautiful country.The story of this thread is both sickening and saddening at the same time. It is corrupt 110% and I doubt anything is going to change that anytime soon. I know more and more guys that are NOT returning to the DR anymore, but are going other places for their mongering fun. Life is truly great, so enjoy it to the max in only the best of places.

onetosix
08-18-2013, 03:02 PM

Again Rover....you do have your own "Eyes Wide Open" in your analysis and comments about this case and the Dominican (non)Justice (non)System.

onetosix
08-18-2013, 03:14 PM
From what I know from people that are close to this the only reason she is still in jail is down to her own sides arrogance/ignorance and stupidity.

Apparently a settlement amount to the victim's family was agreed upon some months ago and she could have been released on payment, but her family decided to fight to also clear her name.

Her side has changed lawyers at least once, adding to the delays and have now recently asked for a new judge.

Her side has failed to understand that the preventative sentence of 1 year allows time for the prosecution to prepare charges OR for a settlement to be reached if all parties are in agreement.

As the court has been informed that settlement is pending they have no option but to continue detaining her until such time this is done or not.

Her side mistakenly believe that solely because she has not been formally charged to date with anything she should by default be exonerated and released and are reluctant to part with what amounts to a bribe in their eyes.

WickedWillie: thanks for your comments. I know you have been in the DR for a long time and I have always respected what you have to say and still do....however your above comments seem to be a sideways defense of the Dominican (non)Justice System. You have to know how utterly corrupt the police, court, justice system is in the DR. There is no such thing as justice in the DR.....it is ALL and ONLY about payoffs and money, NOT justice, fairness, or what is right. You are starting to make me think that maybe someone has slipped some of that Dominican Cool Aid to you. Cheers!

JD426
08-18-2013, 03:32 PM

It is the opinion of many that are close to this that should she eventually be charged she doesn't stand a cat in hell's chance of winning and would face 30 years.

Her side seem oblivious to this and are seemingly content to get their 15 minutes of fame.

Pretty much covers it all.. Spot on..
this matter is so simple, its disturbing that her family can't figure it out..
but it seems even some people right here in this thread also still cant get their heads around it either.. and want to bitch about the DR and their system.
The world is not a "fair" place.. who promised you it was ?

No matter how he died, The Guy is DEAD, she (the defendant and her family) cant bring him back, the Victims family is NOT looking to punish her with the jail time. I really dont think they are, at this point & The Dominican Courts will NOT EXONERATE HER,..its not gonna happen, even if she WERE 100% Innocent.

They want the settlement money.. without it, she will spend a long time in jail.

I dont see what is complicated here. The defendants family is fucking it up and this woman will not go free til they wake the fuck up and pay the "ransom" or whatever you want to call it.. its their system...

Dont like it ?
Then Dont Live there, Dont Drive there, Dont Marry Jorge there, and definitely DONT run over your husband Jorge with the SUV, and then back over him again for good measure & think you gonna walk away from it..
geeesssuss chrisss..

TNT72
08-18-2013, 04:30 PM
WickedWillie: thanks for your comments. I know you have been in the DR for a long time and I have always respected what you have to say and still do....however your above comments seem to be a sideways defense of the Dominican (non)Justice System. You have to know how utterly corrupt the police, court, justice system is in the DR. There is no such thing as justice in the DR.....it is ALL and ONLY about payoffs and money, NOT justice, fairness, or what is right. You are starting to make me think that maybe someone has slipped some of that Dominican Cool Aid to you. Cheers!

I guess it is in how you read it. I don't read it the way you are.

I don't think he's saying it is right or just. I think he is saying it how it is, a matter of fact. Like it or not, this is the system.

WickedWillie
08-18-2013, 04:49 PM

I wouldn't dream of defending the fucked up bullshit that goes on here every day and agree in a LOT of instances the corruption in the DR stinks, but am sufficiently well versed to know that there also a LOT of instances where the right lawful action/verdict or whatever occurs. It just doesn't get the same headlines as the former.

TNT is correct in that my intent was merely to tell it as it is, warts and all from people in the know on the ground and not some sensationalized newspaper report.

I think in this case the DR legal system is playing it by the book. Their book by the way.

If I were to defend the DR legal system at all it would be to say I do not know of any other jurisdiction anywhere in the world where if someone has committed murder, the victims family can sway the decision to prosecute or not.

So in this case she is a helluva lucky woman to have perpetrated such a heinous act here and not elsewhere.

MrHappy
08-18-2013, 05:34 PM
I guess it is in how you read it. I don't read it the way you are.

I don't think he's saying it is right or just. I think he is saying it how it is, a matter of fact. Like it or not, this is the system.

Right. Whether one likes it or not.. it's the sistem in the DR. I just wish all of you could get this "Foreigner" slant out of the whole process. This is the way it's done for EVERYBODY, foreigner or not.

You guys keep pumping this up like it's a "foreigner" getting fucked for being a "foreigner".

"This is pattern procedure for what happens when a foreigner has a car accident and a Dominican is
killed accident or not."

onetosix
08-18-2013, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't dream of defending the fucked up bullshit that goes on here every day and agree in a LOT of instances the corruption in the DR stinks, but am sufficiently well versed to know that there also a LOT of instances where the right lawful action/verdict or whatever occurs. It just doesn't get the same headlines as the former.

TNT is correct in that my intent was merely to tell it as it is, warts and all from people in the know on the ground and not some sensationalized newspaper report.

I think in this case the DR legal system is playing it by the book. Their book by the way.

If I were to defend the DR legal system at all it would be to say I do not know of any other jurisdiction anywhere in the world where if someone has committed murder, the victims family can sway the decision to prosecute or not.

So in this case she is a helluva lucky woman to have perpetrated such a heinous act here and not elsewhere.

Hey WW, apologies if I misinterpreted your intent. It is so true about how the press almost always presents/spins every story they write about, and I'm sure this one is no different. I too think that the family(defendant) has not figured things out yet either and probably could have concluded this long ere now. Yes, the system is what it is and like another poster commented, "if you don't like it, then don't live here".....well, guess what....I don't...and I'm very happy. Having said that though, I still think that the DR is a beautiful country, has a lot to offer for some, and there is certainly fun to be had there for some. It just quit working for me so I made some changes. I have no regrets for the years I spent there....I had many good times! No country is perfect and there is fun to be had everywhere I've ever been. It's all good as long as one is happy where they are....unfortunately some people are never happy anywhere and just complain about everything all the time...there are a couple of folks like that there in Sosua now as you know...hehe. As "whynotme" says...." You only live life once, but if you live it right.....once is enough" I've kind of adopted that saying as a motto of mine....just enjoy every day to the max!!!

ROVER
08-18-2013, 08:39 PM

The Dominican guys family agreed to what amounted to $74,642.80 USD and Nicole Reyes family paid it months ago. After the payment was made the family announced they want more.

Her side mistakenly believe that solely because she has not been formally charged to date with anything she should by default be exonerated and released and are reluctant to part with what amounts to a bribe in their eyes. .

WW from what I read her family paid the $74,642.80 USD amount to the Dominican Family and the reason Nicoles family changed lawyers is that there was an agreed to legal fee but that amount kept increasing monthly and they simply have run out of money.

Right. Whether one likes it or not.. it's the sistem in the DR. I just wish all of you could get this "Foreigner" slant out of the whole process. This is the way it's done for EVERYBODY, foreigner or not.

You guys keep pumping this up like it's a "foreigner" getting fucked for being a "foreigner".

"This is pattern procedure for what happens when a foreigner has a car accident and a Dominican is
killed accident or not."

Happy I think the being a foreigner angle always plays into these situations BIG TIME.

If this were a Dominican the family would never ask for this much as they would believe the Dominican guy/gal could never come up with it. But there is this image of the gringo having access to a money tree that can never be exhausted and all their amigos and family are telling them to ask for more because of this perception.

Happy do you really believe that if a whore tells the cops that a Dominican guy short changed her the cop is going to put the Dominican dude in jail ??? OR better yet the whole shenanigan with VP after he got assaulted and reported it ... after he was put in jail for reporting that "he" was assaulted if he was Dominican do you think the cops would be calling lawyers to represent him so the lawyer could shake him down and the cop could get a cut for calling him.

I think being a foreigner inside the Dominican justice system puts a BIG GREEN target on your back. I'm not saying I think Dominicans get a pass but I believe everything from lawyers fees to payments and payoffs are multiplied several times for the "extranero" would you agree at least with that ??

TNT72
08-18-2013, 10:08 PM
Hey WW, apologies if I misinterpreted your intent. It is so true about how the press almost always presents/spins every story they write about, and I'm sure this one is no different. I too think that the family(defendant) has not figured things out yet either and probably could have concluded this long ere now. Yes, the system is what it is and like another poster commented, "if you don't like it, then don't live here".....well, guess what....I don't...and I'm very happy. Having said that though, I still think that the DR is a beautiful country, has a lot to offer for some, and there is certainly fun to be had there for some. It just quit working for me so I made some changes. I have no regrets for the years I spent there....I had many good times! No country is perfect and there is fun to be had everywhere I've ever been. It's all good as long as one is happy where they are....unfortunately some people are never happy anywhere and just complain about everything all the time...there are a couple of folks like that there in Sosua now as you know...hehe. As "whynotme" says...." You only live life once, but if you live it right.....once is enough" I've kind of adopted that saying as a motto of mine....just enjoy every day to the max!!!

I've heard the stories about when you were living in the DR, and another member hearing your phone ringing every 5 minutes. I'm sure you enjoyed your time in the DR.

But you also worked hard, and planned right. So when you decided to check out someplace new, you could/did and like it there even more.

MrHappy
08-19-2013, 09:33 AM
The Dominican guys family agreed to what amounted to $74,642.80 USD and Nicole Reyes family paid it months ago. After the payment was made the family announced they want more.

WW from what I read her family paid the $74,642.80 USD amount to the Dominican Family and the reason Nicoles family changed lawyers is that there was an agreed to legal fee but that amount kept increasing monthly and they simply have run out of money.

Happy I think the being a foreigner angle always plays into these situations BIG TIME.

If this were a Dominican the family would never ask for this much as they would believe the Dominican guy/gal could never come up with it. But there is this image of the gringo having access to a money tree that can never be exhausted and all their amigos and family are telling them to ask for more because of this perception.

Happy do you really believe that if a whore tells the cops that a Dominican guy short changed her the cop is going to put the Dominican dude in jail ??? OR better yet the whole shenanigan with VP after he got assaulted and reported it ... after he was put in jail for reporting that "he" was assaulted if he was Dominican do you think the cops would be calling lawyers to represent him so the lawyer could shake him down and the cop could get a cut for calling him.

I think being a foreigner inside the Dominican justice system puts a BIG GREEN target on your back. I'm not saying I think Dominicans get a pass but I believe everything from lawyers fees to payments and payoffs are multiplied several times for the "extranero" would you agree at least with that ??

Yep, I'd agree with that. I'd also agree that the family is getting greedy with this lady.

What I was referring to more specifically is that the justice system works the same for foreigners and natives alike. A hooker going to a cop about not getting paid is NOT the DR justice system, or at best, is the system at the lowest level.

But I see enough people throw in Jail for accidents resulting in serious injury or death to know that it doesn't matter WHERE you are from, the system treats you the same (with preventative custody) and in most cases, the less publicity, the better.

givengo440
08-20-2013, 03:00 PM
F'd Up situation guilty or not and great commentary by the board. Thank you guys for a nice read during lunch.

ROVER
10-10-2013, 05:35 AM
Nicola Reyes: Terrified Brit would rather DIE than serve sentence in Dominican Republic prison

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article2274298.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/%C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3Fee-for-use-Nicole-Reyes-2274298.jpg Dan Callister

Terrified Nicola Reyes will never forget the screams of a young man beaten to death only feet away from her.
She was left cowering in her squalid prison in the dirt-poor Dominican *Republic as inmates laid into their victim in the next cell.

Moments later she watched in horror as guards dragged the man’s battered body into the corridor in the notorious jail dubbed the Devil’s Hotel.

“They left him there dead in front of us until the morning,” says Nicola, tears welling up in her eyes.
“I saw other male prisoners chained up so high by their hands they were forced to stand on tip-toe. Guards would beat them with sticks until the sticks broke.”

These images dominate 37-year-old Nicola’s *nightmares – along with vivid dreams about her *husband Jorge who died underneath the wheels of her car.
That is why she has been locked up for the past 14 months, herself a target for prison contract killers – accused of homicide over what she insists was a terrible accident.

She claims she has not even been officially charged.

And it could be another two years before her case goes to trial on a holiday isle *visited by more than 150,000 British tourists a year.
Even her own lawyer in the *Caribbean fears she will be convicted of killing her husband.
“If I am convicted – and I truly think I will be – I will get 30 years,” she says. “I will kill myself. I have worked out a way to do it.”
Her health is deteriorating *alarmingly.
She has intestine and bladder infections and can no longer eat the watery *porridge served for breakfast and dinner. She barely sleeps.

Her parents, Michael and Jeannette Clements, turned to the Sunday Mirror after failing to get help for Nicola from the British Embassy or the Foreign Office.
They have launched a petition begging David Cameron to intervene in a case that is far from clear-cut.
Jorge’s relatives in the Dominican Republic claim she deliberately ran over him over after an argument. Initially they demanded £360,000 “blood money” for what Nicola insists was a freak *accident.
Sitting in a filthy prison alcove watched by gun-toting guards, Nicola twists her wedding ring and fights tears as she tells how her idyllic life in the holiday resort of Puerto Plata turned to hell.

After a whirlwind romance, Nicola wed in 2007 and set up home in Puerto Plata. “I loved the Dominican Republic and I adored my job as a travel rep,” says Nicola, who worked for Thomas Cook.

“On bus tours, I pointed out the local jail. It’s known as the Devil’s Hotel – and now I can honestly say it is hell.
“Ironically, when hotel guests asked me about renting cars I’d tell them not to. If you even witness an accident here police will throw you in jail.

“I was once thrown in a cell for a few hours because I called the police after seeing a drunk get knocked down.

“Everyone drives motorbikes without helmets, Jorge was no exception. Our relationship wasn’t perfect. He could be hot-headed, but we loved each other and Jorge loved my kids.

“When they wanted to move back to the UK with my parents, Jorge and I thought we could split our time between Britain and the Dominican Republic.

Nicola spent six weeks in the notorious Devil’s Hotel. She says she received death threats and feared she would be killed by inmates.
“The first time I appeared in court I was chained to male prisoners,” she says. “A relative of Jorge shouted he would give them cash to kill me.
"The men started trying to hit the back of my head. I was terrified. The power went out one night and the other women told me that only happened if there was going to be a break-out or a contract killing.
“There were 15 of us in the cell and they pulled me into the middle of them to protect me. After six weeks I was transferred to a private jail. I share a cell with two other girls.
"I have the top bunk and water drips on to my bed when it rains. There’s a bucket behind a screened- off curtain for a toilet and rats the size of cats in the corridors.

“In the mornings I cry in the shower – it is the only privacy I get.
“My intestines are inflamed and I have constant bladder infections. There is a doctor here who administers basic checks. I’ve had two smear tests that showed something was wrong. I’m terrified I have cancer.”
Nicola’s parents, who moved back to Cardiff in April last year just before her arrest, have spent more than £100,000 on her legal bills and living expenses.
They have drained their bank accounts and retirement fund.

Nicola’s mum Jeannette says: “Our local MP Stephen Doughty has been terrific but the Foreign Office and *embassy staff just don’t want to know.
“I keep hoping Nic will be offered bail but we have no way of paying the £150,000 for that. We have been holding car boot sales and collecting money via a Facebook page. But the longer Nic stays in jail, the more I fear the worst.”
Nicola says her fellow inmates look after her. When she appeared in court last July, one lent her a white shirt, beige shoes and a pair of black trousers.
“Some of the inmates have killed their husbands – often in self-defence because they were being beaten,” she says.
“But Jorge and I were madly in love. I did not kill him. It was an awful accident.”
A Foreign Office spokesman said later: “We are aware that Nicola Reyes was charged in July 2012 and has since been held in detention pending trial.
“We have been providing consular assistance to Mrs Reyes and her family.

"We cannot interfere in the judicial *process of another country.”

This thread was started 8 months ago.
The name of the thread is : Extended Vacation ! .. Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being charged

She is now in her 15th month of incarceration without being charged.

dquick
10-10-2013, 05:58 AM
Nicola Reyes: Terrified Brit would rather DIE than serve sentence in Dominican Republic prison

Click to see pic (http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article2274298.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/%C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3Fee-for-use-Nicole-Reyes-2274298.jpg) Dan Callister

Terrified Nicola Reyes will never forget the screams of a young man beaten to death only feet away from her.
She was left cowering in her squalid prison in the dirt-poor Dominican *Republic as inmates laid into their victim in the next cell.

Moments later she watched in horror as guards dragged the man’s battered body into the corridor in the notorious jail dubbed the Devil’s Hotel.

“They left him there dead in front of us until the morning,” says Nicola, tears welling up in her eyes.
“I saw other male prisoners chained up so high by their hands they were forced to stand on tip-toe. Guards would beat them with sticks until the sticks broke.”

These images dominate 37-year-old Nicola’s *nightmares – along with vivid dreams about her *husband Jorge who died underneath the wheels of her car.
That is why she has been locked up for the past 14 months, herself a target for prison contract killers – accused of homicide over what she insists was a terrible accident.

She claims she has not even been officially charged.

And it could be another two years before her case goes to trial on a holiday isle *visited by more than 150,000 British tourists a year.
Even her own lawyer in the *Caribbean fears she will be convicted of killing her husband.
“If I am convicted – and I truly think I will be – I will get 30 years,” she says. “I will kill myself. I have worked out a way to do it.”
Her health is deteriorating *alarmingly.
She has intestine and bladder infections and can no longer eat the watery *porridge served for breakfast and dinner. She barely sleeps.

Her parents, Michael and Jeannette Clements, turned to the Sunday Mirror after failing to get help for Nicola from the British Embassy or the Foreign Office.
They have launched a petition begging David Cameron to intervene in a case that is far from clear-cut.
Jorge’s relatives in the Dominican Republic claim she deliberately ran over him over after an argument. Initially they demanded £360,000 “blood money” for what Nicola insists was a freak *accident.
Sitting in a filthy prison alcove watched by gun-toting guards, Nicola twists her wedding ring and fights tears as she tells how her idyllic life in the holiday resort of Puerto Plata turned to hell.

After a whirlwind romance, Nicola wed in 2007 and set up home in Puerto Plata. “I loved the Dominican Republic and I adored my job as a travel rep,” says Nicola, who worked for Thomas Cook.

“On bus tours, I pointed out the local jail. It’s known as the Devil’s Hotel – and now I can honestly say it is hell.
“Ironically, when hotel guests asked me about renting cars I’d tell them not to. If you even witness an accident here police will throw you in jail.

“I was once thrown in a cell for a few hours because I called the police after seeing a drunk get knocked down.

“Everyone drives motorbikes without helmets, Jorge was no exception. Our relationship wasn’t perfect. He could be hot-headed, but we loved each other and Jorge loved my kids.

“When they wanted to move back to the UK with my parents, Jorge and I thought we could split our time between Britain and the Dominican Republic.

Nicola spent six weeks in the notorious Devil’s Hotel. She says she received death threats and feared she would be killed by inmates.
“The first time I appeared in court I was chained to male prisoners,” she says. “A relative of Jorge shouted he would give them cash to kill me.
"The men started trying to hit the back of my head. I was terrified. The power went out one night and the other women told me that only happened if there was going to be a break-out or a contract killing.
“There were 15 of us in the cell and they pulled me into the middle of them to protect me. After six weeks I was transferred to a private jail. I share a cell with two other girls.
"I have the top bunk and water drips on to my bed when it rains. There’s a bucket behind a screened- off curtain for a toilet and rats the size of cats in the corridors.

“In the mornings I cry in the shower – it is the only privacy I get.
“My intestines are inflamed and I have constant bladder infections. There is a doctor here who administers basic checks. I’ve had two smear tests that showed something was wrong. I’m terrified I have cancer.”
Nicola’s parents, who moved back to Cardiff in April last year just before her arrest, have spent more than £100,000 on her legal bills and living expenses.
They have drained their bank accounts and retirement fund.

Nicola’s mum Jeannette says: “Our local MP Stephen Doughty has been terrific but the Foreign Office and *embassy staff just don’t want to know.
“I keep hoping Nic will be offered bail but we have no way of paying the £150,000 for that. We have been holding car boot sales and collecting money via a Facebook page. But the longer Nic stays in jail, the more I fear the worst.”
Nicola says her fellow inmates look after her. When she appeared in court last July, one lent her a white shirt, beige shoes and a pair of black trousers.
“Some of the inmates have killed their husbands – often in self-defence because they were being beaten,” she says.
“But Jorge and I were madly in love. I did not kill him. It was an awful accident.”
A Foreign Office spokesman said later: “We are aware that Nicola Reyes was charged in July 2012 and has since been held in detention pending trial.
“We have been providing consular assistance to Mrs Reyes and her family.

"We cannot interfere in the judicial *process of another country.”

This thread was started 8 months ago.
The name of the thread is : Extended Vacation ! .. Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being charged

She is now in her 15th month of incarceration withut being charged.

This is truely scaring the shit out of me. How the DR system works, it does not matter if she is innocent. I am beginning to reconsider driving in the DR.

Maybe instead of worrying about prostitution, the President could start reforming the corupt legal and prison system.

WSJ3_Sith_Lord
10-10-2013, 06:35 AM
This is truely scaring the shit out of me. How the DR system works, it does not matter if she is innocent. I am beginning to reconsider driving in the DR.

Maybe instead of worrying about prostitution, the President could start reforming the corupt legal and prison system.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

I have been going to this country for 20 years and the only thing that changes is that the President and politicians find new ways to fuck over the people.

MrHappy
10-10-2013, 08:29 AM
What a crock of shit. She can't eat, but she's fatter than ever. The forced withdrawal from alcohol appears to be doing her some good.

dquick
10-10-2013, 09:13 AM
What a crock of shit. She can't eat, but she's fatter than ever. The forced withdrawal from alcohol appears to be doing her some good.

And I still suspect she is guilty. I just feel a person deserves a fair trail before receiving punishment.

BUT there I go again with my North American attitude.

JD426
10-10-2013, 11:15 AM

you cant run someone over accidentally TWO times in one incident..
she is guilty as fuck , afaic. she made her bed.
esp knowing about the prisons, she does that to a dominican and thinks she gonna walk. thats arrogance,imo
would love to see her volunteer for a Polygraph, that would be a hoot.

thunderstar
10-10-2013, 02:03 PM

Strange this one - but "those in the know" out on the North Coast are all sure she is guilty.
Those in the know state once she ran him over, she went backwards over him again, and then forwards - once again over him and went off.
Those in the know also stated she had an argument with him publicly before they left an event together
Those in the know also say that she was a cheating drunk herself
Those in the know state that Jorge was a good guy who loved her - but she bullied him

"Those in the know" means gossip from ex pats on the North Coast, apparently her neighbor from Costambar and an ex work colleague.

If she did that on purpose - she deserves to rot in that prison, if it was an accident - she has a lot of "locals" - ex pats against her.
Either way - her life is shit now.

ROVER
10-10-2013, 06:10 PM

Whether she is guilty or innocent nobody really knows because there has never been a trial.
The only thing that is of interest to me is that someone can be detained indefinitely for a car accident without being charged.

As WSJ3 said " getting ass raped in Moca SuperMax is not on my to-do list when I go to the D.R.. I got a vacation booked in December and I'll be driving for probably 4 of the days and this will definitely be on my mind and will probably be my last driving in the D.R..

I wouldn't want to be her because from all the publicity this case has received the only way they can now justify this year plus preventive detention is to convict.

JD426
10-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Whether she is guilty or innocent nobody really knows because there has never been a trial.
The only thing that is of interest to me is that someone can be detained indefinitely for a car accident without being charged.

As WSJ3 said " getting ass raped in Moca SuperMax is not on my to-do list when I go to the D.R.. I got a vacation booked in December and I'll be driving for probably 4 of the days and this will definitely be on my mind and will probably be my last driving in the D.R..

I wouldn't want to be her because of all the publicity this case has received the only way they can now justify this year plus preventive detention is to convict.

She knows for sure 100%, so your premise is flawed already.
She may also have confessed. who knows to who, maybe other inmates.

Not agreeing with another countries justice system or way of doing things but does that mean we can go there, and commit crimes, EXPECTING the same treatment as in our home country with a Fair Speedy Trial ??
Show me a case where an INNOCENT person was treated this way ? a blatantly innocent person.

This is NOT a car accident, its a MURDER " investigation" .
I'm unclear why people can not understand this.

You and I renting a car, and hitting someone we dont know on the road, god forbid, is a completely Different matter.
I dont even see the connection. Except for a vehicle being involved.

Lemme ask you a loaded question, if a GUN was used, would it be more clear ? and she says in her defense, "oh, it discharged by accident, 2x "

so why would this be on your mind while you are driving a rented car in the DR ??
Unless that "Someone/ anyone " you mention is you marrying a chica, and then running your esposa over 2x with that rented car , im guessing you wont be in the same jam as this woman.

This "everyone is innocent til proven guilty" ,leave that shit at home, cause it won' apply in most other countries.

ROVER
10-10-2013, 07:06 PM
She knows for sure 100%, so your premise is flawed already.
She may also have confessed. who knows to who, maybe other inmates.

O.K. I guess that's possible but isn't it also possible she is innocent ????
Please don't believe everything you read on DR1.

Not agreeing with another countries justice system or way of doing things but does that mean we can go there, and commit crimes, EXPECTING the same treatment as in our home country with a Fair Speedy Trial ??
Show me a case where an INNOCENT person was treated this way ? a blatantly innocent person.

Judge who is talking about "going there and committing crimes ??? The only thing of interest to anyone here are the parallels that could extend to one of us. I know of at least 4 members held under this preventive detention bullshit all blatantly innocent. Two of them were reporting an assault on themselves. End result jailed overnight and lawyers fees. Again because they reported that they were assaulted. The other 2 were driving and a moto conconcho hit them. Both were incarcerated one for 6 days and both had to pay thousands of dollars in extortion money to get out. It cost one of them $6,000 USD

Though the cases I just cited are at one end of the spectrum and this woman's case is at the other ...I'm not down with the lesser of the two being totally in the right and a motoconcho hits me and I go to jail (even for a few days) and it costing me thousands of dollars. But that's just me. If your cool with it .. I got no beef with you.

This is NOT a car accident, its a MURDER " investigation" .
I'm unclear why people can not understand this.

You see judge this is where it gets a little scary for me because the truth is and as this woman's case has shown ....IT IS WHAT THEY SAY IT IS.

You and I renting a car, and hitting someone we dont know on the road, god forbid, is a completely Different matter
I dont even see the connection. Except for a vehicle being involved.

This again is where you and I seem to have a split ... but that's O.K.. You just seem to have allot more faith in the Dominican Justice System (:rofl:) than I do.

You see I just wouldn't want to roll the dice if lets say I was driving through Bonao and some kid on a motoconcho struck my car and his mother starts screaming "you killed my son ..you killed my son" and then all his friends and neighbors start joining in the chant .... I just don't want to roll the dice that the local police and prosecutor are gonna say ."OH ! OK ..just give us your information and you can go on your way"

Now if you feel comfortable in a situation like this ...well then happy trails to you. :iconTU: I'm sure D'Quick and others that have had previous minor encounter with D.R. law enforcement and been incarcerated wouldn't feel so lax.

TNT72
10-10-2013, 07:36 PM

Judge who is talking about "going there and committing crimes ??? The only thing of interest to anyone here are the parallels that could extend to one of us. I know of at least 4 members held under this preventive detention bullshit all blatantly innocent. Two of them were reporting an assault on themselves. End result jailed overnight and lawyers fees. Again because they reported that they were assaulted. The other 2 were driving and a moto conconcho hit them. Both were incarcerated one for 6 days and both had to pay thousands of dollars in extortion money to get out. It cost one of them $6,000 USD

Though the cases I just cited are at one end of the spectrum and this woman's case is at the other ...I'm not down with the lesser of the two being totally in the right and a motoconcho hits me and I go to jail (even for a few days) and it costing me thousands of dollars. But that's just me. If your cool with it .. I got no beef with you.

You see judge this is where it gets a little scary for me because the truth is and as this woman's case has shown ....IT IS WHAT THEY SAY IT IS.

This again is where you and I seem to have a split ... but that's O.K.. You just seem to have allot more faith in the Dominican Justice System (:rofl:) than I do.

You see I just wouldn't want to roll the dice if lets say I was driving through Bonao and some kid on a motoconcho struck my car and his mother starts screaming "you killed my son ..you killed my son" and then all his friends and neighbors start joining in the chant .... I just don't want to roll the dice that the local police and prosecutor are gonna say ."OH ! OK ..just give us your information and you can go on your way"

Now if you feel comfortable in a situation like this ...well then happy trails to you. :iconTU: I'm sure D'Quick and others that have had previous minor encounter with D.R. law enforcement and been incarcerated wouldn't feel so lax.

Rover, the truth is...what is highlighted is the truth!

If you're walking down the street, and for some reason a police officer (politur, NP, AMET, etc) decides you are the guy, you are him. He can walk up and check your pockets and find a small bag a weed in your pocket (of course, it was in his palm before he put it into your pocket), and guess what???? You get arrested for poss of mari!!

While I would agree that if you are driving, you are putting yourself up front for some possible trouble. But if the police/army decide for whatever reason that you are the guy they are gonna work for a payoff...then yes. The cops word is over yours.

MrHappy
10-10-2013, 08:22 PM

I wouldn't want to be her because from all the publicity this case has received the only way they can now justify this year plus preventive detention is to convict.

Don't kid yourself. The only place her case is getting a lot of attention is on the English dailies, and her hometown news.

I haven't seen crapola about her in any of the local papers for months. Probably because the treatment she's getting is standard treatment for anybody accused of murder in this country.

The whole idea behind preventative custody (besides investigating what happened) is to give everybody a cooling down period, and to allow the parties involved to work out any sort of amicable agreement.

It's her family that keeps stirring the shitpot, but they're not getting any publicity about it in the local rags.

JD426
10-10-2013, 08:29 PM

I read ZERO about this case on DR1.. not a single thing. I hardly go to DR1 at all. and when i do its for INFO about some travel related matter.
So that is a HUGE incorrect assumption on your part.

everything I said was from me, based on facts & what was written in articles posted Right here on ISOC.

I have NO other interest in the case & was not really looking to debate you, or challenge your opinion, other than to get you to look at this from another angle than " oh she COULD be innocent, she deserves this and that ".
our opinions dont matter. its their system.

Tonto4
10-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Bottom line : You hit somebody with a car in the DR - GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE.

ROVER
10-10-2013, 11:14 PM
I read ZERO about this case on DR1.. not a single thing. I hardly go to DR1 at all. and when i do its for INFO about some travel related matter.
So that is a HUGE incorrect assumption on your part.

everything I said was from me, based on facts & what was written in articles posted Right here on ISOC.

I have NO other interest in the case & was not really looking to debate you, or challenge your opinion, other than to get you to look at this from another angle than " oh she COULD be innocent, she deserves this and that ".
our opinions dont matter. its their system.

Judge I feel allot of emotion in your post. Please .. reread all my posts I never ever said I think she is innocent or deserves this that or anything. I likewise don't want to debate that point because it is meaningless to me.

The only thing that makes this case even newsworthy to me is is how this preventive detention is being used in her case.

JD426
10-11-2013, 12:01 AM
Rover,
Emotion, Agaist HER ? YES, correct.
But certainly not against you .
My opinion is she is a foolish, arrogant, lying bitch, and can rot in hell for all i care. maybe thats what you sensed ?
You stated everyone deserves a fair trial, yes ? thats what I meant by "she deserves this and that" ?? ..

I said, they do it different, shes lucky she is alive , IMO. not saying its right how they physically treating her though.

I appreciate your point of view..i am merely stating that i think you are looking at it from the wrong angle. or rather too narrow an agle.
nothing more. but now you say you are not even interested in the case itself ?

As to preventative custody and how its used.
I would say this is the PERFECT example of them using it correctly if EVER there was one.
Although I dont agree with the Squalor conditions, noone deserves that, not even serial killers, i guess, if you believe in Treating a human like a human and not a dog.
but thats a different topic, no ?

I enjoy all your useful posts.

ROVER
10-11-2013, 12:12 AM
Thank you Judge and I enjoy your posts as well. See you in December I hope for a frosty.

thunderstar
10-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Hey Rover,

Just thought id say how much i like your profile pic.

Thats a fine ass and pussy right there!

Wish I had met her!

ROVER
11-23-2013, 03:21 AM
Parents of woman jailed in Dominican Republic to meet Foreign Office after bail is set at £147,000

30 Oct 2013 10:55 (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/by-date/30-10-2013) Nicole Reyes has spent more than a year in prison in the Dominican Republic after being accused of causing the death of her husband. Her parents are due to meet with staff at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office this morning

http://i2.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article6020905.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/ZZ150813reyes-1-6020905.jpg Nicole Reyes with her husband Jorges
The family of a woman locked up in jail in the Dominican Republic for more than a year must raise £147,000 to secure her release on bail but fear she could still face 30 years behind bars if convicted.
Former travel rep, Nicole Reyes, 37, denies killing her husband Jorge, 38, in a crash between her Jeep and his motorbike on the island in July last year.
After spending the last 15 months in prison on the island, the mother-of-two has now had the offer of bail.
Her lawyer Eduardo Trueba said this was set at RD$10m, the equivalent of around £147,000, at a hearing in the Puerto Plata part of the island on Friday.
But her mother Jeannette Clements said she was told the bail money, if raised, will not be repaid even if she is cleared by the courts and that she would not receive any compensation for her time already spent in prison.

http://i1.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article5100038.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/jeanette-clements-5100038.jpg Jeanette Clements, mother of Nicole Reyes Having already paid many thousands of pounds on legal fees, food supplies, phone calls and medication, Mrs Clements and her husband Mike are now desperately trying to raise the money for her bail.
The couple, from Rumney in Cardiff, said any money they have left from their savings and earnings will need to be used on the ongoing lawyers’ fees as Mrs Reyes prepares to face trial on November 28.

They are asking for donations towards the bail amount so they can get their daughter to a private health clinic.
Mrs Clements said her daughter’s intestine is infected with bacteria and she has put on two stone in weight, despite only eating around 1,400 calories a day, because of swelling.
Mr Trueba said: “The bail was set at RD$10,000,000.00. This amount, while high, is not unusual and we have seen it set in other cases, as well as even higher amounts.

"On the hearing set for the 28th, we anticipate that the trial will finally go through and that after the said hearing, the case may be ready to receive judgment in the first instance. As to the evidence, the court has been adamant that it will not receive part of the evidence we filed, erroneously arguing that we filed it out of time.

"This is something that we will fight during the hearing, but that most likely we will need to include this with a subsequent appeal of the judgment to be rendered by the said court, which we anticipate will not be favourable towards Mrs Reyes.”
Mrs Clements said that if this happens they fear Nicole will be convicted and will remain in prison for the next 30 years. She said: “If Nicole gets 30 years, how are we going to keep her there? In the last two months we have spent £500 on prescriptions alone.”

Mr and Mrs Clements, together with Cardiff South and Penarth MP Stephen Doughty, met with officials from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London yesterday to discuss Mrs Reyes’ case.
Mrs Clements described the meeting as “quite fruitful” and said they were told that many of the issues they raised would be looked into.

A spokesperson for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: “We are aware that a British national, Nicole Reyes, was charged in July 2012 and has since been held in detention pending trial.
“We have been providing consular assistance to Mrs Reyes and her family since her detention and we continue to do so.”

Mrs Clements said Nicole would like to receive letters of support to help boost her morale which can be emailed to freenicolereyes@live.co.uk
An account has been set up with the Principality Building Society for donations with the account number 90653535, sort code 20-18-15 and reference number 144464908 which has to be included.

Can Mr. Happy or someone else knowledgeable about this comment as to if this is the standard D.R. legal system practice that bail money is not returned even upon acquittal of all charges.

147,000 Euro's comes out to $200,000 USD.

Jao
11-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Parents of woman jailed in Dominican Republic to meet Foreign Office after bail is set at £147,000

30 Oct 2013 10:55 (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/by-date/30-10-2013) Nicole Reyes has spent more than a year in prison in the Dominican Republic after being accused of causing the death of her husband. Her parents are due to meet with staff at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office this morning

Click to see pic (http://i2.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article6020905.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/ZZ150813reyes-1-6020905.jpg) Nicole Reyes with her husband Jorges
The family of a woman locked up in jail in the Dominican Republic for more than a year must raise £147,000 to secure her release on bail but fear she could still face 30 years behind bars if convicted.
Former travel rep, Nicole Reyes, 37, denies killing her husband Jorge, 38, in a crash between her Jeep and his motorbike on the island in July last year.
After spending the last 15 months in prison on the island, the mother-of-two has now had the offer of bail.
Her lawyer Eduardo Trueba said this was set at RD$10m, the equivalent of around £147,000, at a hearing in the Puerto Plata part of the island on Friday.
But her mother Jeannette Clements said she was told the bail money, if raised, will not be repaid even if she is cleared by the courts and that she would not receive any compensation for her time already spent in prison.

Click to see pic (http://i1.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article5100038.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/jeanette-clements-5100038.jpg) Jeanette Clements, mother of Nicole Reyes Having already paid many thousands of pounds on legal fees, food supplies, phone calls and medication, Mrs Clements and her husband Mike are now desperately trying to raise the money for her bail.
The couple, from Rumney in Cardiff, said any money they have left from their savings and earnings will need to be used on the ongoing lawyers’ fees as Mrs Reyes prepares to face trial on November 28.

They are asking for donations towards the bail amount so they can get their daughter to a private health clinic.
Mrs Clements said her daughter’s intestine is infected with bacteria and she has put on two stone in weight, despite only eating around 1,400 calories a day, because of swelling.
Mr Trueba said: “The bail was set at RD$10,000,000.00. This amount, while high, is not unusual and we have seen it set in other cases, as well as even higher amounts.

"On the hearing set for the 28th, we anticipate that the trial will finally go through and that after the said hearing, the case may be ready to receive judgment in the first instance. As to the evidence, the court has been adamant that it will not receive part of the evidence we filed, erroneously arguing that we filed it out of time.

"This is something that we will fight during the hearing, but that most likely we will need to include this with a subsequent appeal of the judgment to be rendered by the said court, which we anticipate will not be favourable towards Mrs Reyes.”
Mrs Clements said that if this happens they fear Nicole will be convicted and will remain in prison for the next 30 years. She said: “If Nicole gets 30 years, how are we going to keep her there? In the last two months we have spent £500 on prescriptions alone.”

Mr and Mrs Clements, together with Cardiff South and Penarth MP Stephen Doughty, met with officials from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London yesterday to discuss Mrs Reyes’ case.
Mrs Clements described the meeting as “quite fruitful” and said they were told that many of the issues they raised would be looked into.

A spokesperson for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: “We are aware that a British national, Nicole Reyes, was charged in July 2012 and has since been held in detention pending trial.
“We have been providing consular assistance to Mrs Reyes and her family since her detention and we continue to do so.”

Mrs Clements said Nicole would like to receive letters of support to help boost her morale which can be emailed to freenicolereyes@live.co.uk
An account has been set up with the Principality Building Society for donations with the account number 90653535, sort code 20-18-15 and reference number 144464908 which has to be included.

Can Mr. Happy or someone else knowledgeable about this comment as to if this is the standard D.R. legal system practice that bail money is not returned even upon acquittal of all charges.

Who gets compensated for time spent in prison? (Seems to me there is a case that she purposely ran him over).

Do you post similar articles in other sections of the ISOC for other countries? (i.e. Gore photos and bad news that occurs in Colombia or elsewhere in the world?) Thanks.

MrHappy
11-24-2013, 09:43 AM

Umm... gotta check with my Lawyer friends on this one. I'm pretty sure it's the same as in the states, where you lose what you pay a bail bondsman, but if you put up the whole shebang, you get it back with an acquittal.

I'll confirm and let you know.

TNT72
11-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Umm... gotta check with my Lawyer friends on this one. I'm pretty sure it's the same as in the states, where you lose what you pay a bail bondsman, but if you put up the whole shebang, you get it back with an acquittal.

I'll confirm and let you know.

Here, bail is only to guarantee appearance of the defendant. If you put it all up, as long as the defendant appears and the case is finished, the money is returned, reguardless of outcome. Guilty or not guilty. If you're found guilty, they usually take out the fines and court costs.

ROVER
01-30-2014, 07:58 PM
18 Months held in a Dominican Jail ... :confused4:.... Will she learn her fate next week ?

From Dominican Today:

Jailed UK national’s parents to come to Dom. Rep.: walesonline.co.uk

http://www.dominicantoday.com/image/article/19/209x400/0/7A4A2F74-84EE-4411-886F-D76BF4EE6C8D.jpeg

Nicole, Jorge Reyes. Photo Wales News Service/capitalbay.com

Santo Domingo.- The parents of British national Nicole Reyes, detained in a Santiago jail for 18 months plan to fly out to be by her side when she discovers her fate next week, outlet walesonline.co.uk reports Wednesday.
“Jeannette and Mike Clements will travel to the Dominican Republic this week ahead of their daughter’s trial for homicide.”

Reyes, 39, is charged in the death of her husband Jorge Reyes’ death in July 2012 and has remained behind bars on the island ever since, always claiming her innocence, calling it a traffic accident.
“Nicole, from Rumney in Cardiff, will now appear in court on Tuesday after the last hearing in November was adjourned. Her parents fear she could be sentenced to between 25 and 30 years in prison if convicted,” the UK outlet sad.

Clements, quoted by walesonline.co.uk, said Nicole will have to wear a bulletproof vest at the court hearing and that they will have police protection because of safety fears. “She said Nicole’s lawyer has told them there is no reason for Tuesday’s hearing to be adjourned.”

WickedWillie
02-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Got sentenced this morning. 12 anos.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

madvillian
02-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Do you have a link to confirm?

Due to the sketchy reporting by DR "media" DR1 posters were debating whether she was convicted and sentenced, or whether this was the prosecutor recommending 12 anos prior to the "trial" taking place.

I read that it was a hearing, can't find any information on if they had an actual trial.

ROVER
02-04-2014, 07:07 PM
From Mail Online

British mother jailed for 12 years for running over her husband on Caribbean island despite insisting the crash was an accident

Nicole Reyes, 38, was driving home alongside Jorge in Dominican Republic

Her car hit coconut water salesman's motorbike and he died in July 2012

She said he had swerved to avoid another car - but was accused of murder
Mrs Reyes, from Cardiff, jailed today for 12 years for voluntary homicide
She has been held in a 12ft by 12ft cell with 15 women for 18 months

By Dan Bloom (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Dan+Bloom)
PUBLISHED: 14:17 EST, 4 February 2014 | UPDATED: 15:35 EST, 4 February 2014

A British mother who said she accidentally ran over her husband on a Caribbean island has been jailed for 12 years for his killing.
Holiday rep Nicole Reyes, 38, was driving home from a night out in the Dominican Republic next to coconut water salesman Jorge when her car hit his motorbike, leaving him dead.
She insisted he had swerved to avoid an oncoming car and hit her by accident - but police in the Caribbean accused her of murder.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/04/article-2551736-1B0D39EA00000578-239_306x560.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/furniture/mobile/icon_camera_90x68.png+4

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/04/article-2551736-1B0CF44800000578-900_306x560.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/furniture/mobile/icon_camera_90x68.png+4

Accused: Nicole Reyes (pictured left and right with her husband) has been jailed for 12 years for killing her husband Jorge in a road crash in the Dominican Republic in July 2012, despite insisting it was an accident

Today Mrs Reyes was jailed for 12 years after being held with 15 other women in a 12ft by 12ft cell for 18 months.

Her family said she was convicted of voluntary homicide, believed to be the Dominican Republic's equivalent of murder. She had initially faced a jail term of up to 30 years.

More...

Police release 911 call placed by hospital security chief after retired nurse 'tried to kill her ex-cop husband of 30 years by injecting fecal matter into his IV' (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2551603/Rose-Mary-Vogel-case-Police-release-911-call-placed-hospital-security-chief-retired-nurse-tried-kill-ex-cop-husband-30-years-injecting-fecal-matter-IV.html)
Husband, 50, who knifed wife to death after she told him she had fallen in love with the saxophonist in her jazz band 'installed GPS software on her phone to track her' (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2551554/Husband-50-knifed-wife-death-told-marriage-fallen-love-saxophonist-jazz-band.html)

Mrs Reyes' mother Jeanette Clements and stepfather Mike were in court in the city of Puerto Plata for the two and a half hour hearing and have vowed to appeal the verdict.
They are meeting with British diplomats to fight for her release.

Mrs Clements, 61, said: 'I have told Nicole to keep her chin up. I really did believe she would be coming home with me this week. We are going to appeal.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/04/article-2551736-1B0D39DE00000578-797_634x418.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/furniture/mobile/icon_camera_90x68.png+4

Distraught: Mrs Reyes' mother Jeanette Clements, pictured, insists her daughter is innocent

'She has problems with her kidneys. She is ill and needs medical help. I don’t think she’s going to cope in that prison.
'She was in a tiny room which was only about 12ft by 12ft and there were 15 women in there.
'She was literally sleeping on the floor, there was a bucket in the corner and they were not allowed out at all.
'She is innocent but she has no chance of a fair trial out there. All we can do is stay strong for her.'
Mrs Reyes first visited the island on holiday before taking a holiday rep job with Thomas Cook, where she met her husband, a coconut water salesman, in 2006.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/04/article-2551736-1B0CF43900000578-312_634x419.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/furniture/mobile/icon_camera_90x68.png+4

Mrs Clements said: 'She is innocent but she has no chance of a fair trial out there. All we can do is stay strong'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2551736/British-mother-jailed-12-years-running-husband-Caribbean-island-despite-insisting-crash-accident.html#ixzz2sOwnplNP

greydread
02-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Man fuck that Bitch.

She should have just fired him and went out and got another one.

Killing the Mothafucka was just a bit over the top, don't you think?

JD426
02-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Man fuck that Bitch.

She should have just fired him and went out and got another one.

Killing the Mothafucka was just a bit over the top, don't you think?

Cosign...
Been saying that since I read she ran over him not ONCE, but TWICE... that just don't happen by "accident"..
This was clearly vehicular murder..
and if this was a dude killing a chica, everyone would be asking for his head ..but cause she a woman she expecting special treatment ?
Sorry bitch.. You KILLT that boy,, now you gonna pay.

I would have a lot more respect for her, if she at least came clean, and begged for forgiveness and showed some remorse..
But all this bullshit about the DR System mistreating her and not able to get a fair Trial . .

Imagine again, a Dude running a Chica over with his Car... TWICE... Visualize the brutality of that for a moment,
you know they would have chopped off his nuts..

ROVER
02-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Do you have a link to confirm?

Due to the sketchy reporting by DR "media" DR1 posters were debating whether she was convicted and sentenced, or whether this was the prosecutor recommending 12 anos prior to the "trial" taking place.

I read that it was a hearing, can't find any information on if they had an actual trial.

Your confusion is not unwarranted. If you judge justice by the standards of any civilized nation one cannot imagine how this woman was convicted of anything let alone murder.

Her entire "trial" :confused: took 2 hours and 11 minutes... :confused4: ...that includes

#1. Opening statements by both sides.

#2. The Prosecutor proving their case.

#3. The defense putting on their case to rebut the prosecutions case.

#4. Closing arguments by both sides.

#5. In between all this objections with sidebars etc.

One thing that may have speed up this case was that the prosecution did not put on the stand even one eye witness but was still able to obtain a conviction.

I started this thread to follow the legal journey from arrest to verdict of a foreign national and see what could be gleamed of the Dominican Legal System when a foreign national is charged with such a serious offense.

While some are pleased that this woman was convicted and certain of her guilt I have no opinion or preference of either her guilt or innocence as again my only interest was to follow the legal process as it evolved.

I have learned several things for sure from following this case:

One is that the Preventive Detention measure used by the prosecution seems to be boundless as the law states it has a 9 month maximum limit however this case shows that 18 months is an option available to the prosecutor.

The other is that similar to the U.S. legal fees can drive one into bankruptcy but additionally the fees and terms agreed to with lawyers in the D.R. seem to change as the case proceeds and as with preventive detention seem to have no bounds.

Lastly ... standards of burden of proof on the prosecution beyond a reasonable doubt seem not to be a realistic expectation as a
2 hours :11 minute murder trial as hard as it is to believe may be the best a foreign national can expect given this was what was allotted to a case followed by the international press throughout Europe.
This of course does not imply that Dominican Nationals receives any better form of justice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Dominican Today

British woman gets 12 years in prison on husband’s murder(Update)

http://www.dominicantoday.com/image/article/19/209x400/0/4338F087-CE4A-45A0-A232-14FCD4C7F7D0.jpeg
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/img/bits/blue-round-more.gifZoom Picture
Update: Conviction confirmed

Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.- British National Nicole Reyes will spend12 years in prison, convicted on Tuesday in a hearing at the Puerto Plata province Collegiate Court, officials at the Puerto Plata office of the Prosecutor confirmed today.
The hearing of the trial for the murder of Reyes' husband Jorge Quintanilla was headed by a three judge panel court.
A source in the Puerto Plata court said the hearing began at 9:45am, and concluded at 11:56am.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thunderstar
02-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Interesting your point of view Rover - I too have followed this - fairly closely - from the English side.

I started thinking that it was a horrible accident and the family were trying to gain money from "the gringo" - however - over 2 holidays in the time she was locked up this came up in conversation with local ex pats, some of them knew her and her husband personally.

Sadly - not one person had a good word to say about this women - and they were a mixture of nationalities.

What doent seem to be reported in the media - but "common knowledge" with at least the ex pats that I spoke with was that she ran him over twice.
As in - so i was told, reversed back over him.

Now - knocking him off the bike - that could be a horrible accident, but stopping and reversing over him?

But your main point - less than 3 hours to convict - totally correct - doesnt sound right does it.

whynotme
02-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Now - knocking him off the bike - that could be a horrible accident, but stopping and reversing over him?

But your main point - less than 3 hours to convict - totally correct - doesnt sound right does it.

that's a slam dunk...........case proved......... next:wink::rofl:

greydread
02-06-2014, 01:39 PM
that's a slam dunk...........case proved......... next:wink::rofl:
Yup!

Soon as she put that vehicle in reverse she sealed her fate.