PDA

View Full Version : Suzanna's = Avoid

Sidney
05-21-2013, 05:27 PM
This place is a Gringo rip-off with bad food. She always charges Gringo's more ! Located near Four Roses and Domino's bars.:icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd:

el toro
05-21-2013, 09:09 PM
This place is a Gringo rip-off with bad food. She always charges Gringo's more ! Located near Four Roses and Domino's bars.:icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd:

I was a fan of this place until I noticed some slight gringo fluctuation in my prices for the same chicke, rice and beans.

Ricky's seemed to be a good $150-250RD replacement this last trip.

BrooklynBeas
05-21-2013, 09:18 PM

If that is the little stand next to Domino/4 Roses, I would have to pass... I know it's DR and you will get your bugs, I just hate to see flies and tiny ants crawling on and around the food... I rather not see it if it's gonna happen, and I saw it.. Sometimes, being late at night and drunk, you will eat just about everything... I was not that drunk though...

el toro
05-21-2013, 09:49 PM
If that is the little stand next to Domino/4 Roses, I would have to pass... I know it's DR and you will get your bugs, I just hate to see flies and tiny ants crawling on and around the food... I rather not see it if it's gonna happen, and I saw it.. Sometimes, being late at night and drunk, you will eat just about everything... I was not that drunk though...

It's not a stand. It actually looks like a decent restaurant, but they're just on some bullshit like Sydney alluded to.

hugrad95a
05-21-2013, 11:24 PM
How much es el plato de dia.. How much is she charging gringos... How do you know she is charging gringo's more.

Seville
05-21-2013, 11:31 PM
How much es el plato de dia.. How much is she charging gringos... How do you know she is charging gringo's more.

If I recall correctly, the last time I was in there I got 3 pieces of chicken with rice or whatever for 150 pesos.

hugrad95a
05-21-2013, 11:46 PM
If I recall correctly, the last time I was in there I got 3 pieces of chicken with rice or whatever for 150 pesos.

3.50 not a bad deal

The Sage
05-21-2013, 11:50 PM
I don't know about now, but when she first opened she did charge gringos more. I remember taking a TLN there for lunch. When the check came she went off saying very loudly that I had been over charged.

And, Beas, I love that stand next to the 4 roses. They got the best fried chicken on the strip. Can't say I've noticed any bugs, however, I only go there in the early evening. I wouldn't be surprised that conditions deteriorate as the night lingers on.

Seville
05-21-2013, 11:57 PM
I don't know about now, but when she first opened she did charge gringos more. I remember taking a TLN there for lunch. When the check came she went off saying very loudly that I had been over charged.

And, Beas, I love that stand next to the 4 roses. They got the best fried chicken on the strip. Can't say I've noticed any bugs, however, I only go there in the early evening. I wouldn't be surprised that conditions deteriorate as the night lingers on.

I wasn't real hungry tonight so I stopped by there. Two pieces of chicken (thighs) and fries was 100 pesos.

The Sage
05-22-2013, 12:08 AM
They have good prices. i usually get 4 or 5 wings with rice for 150 pesos I think. I like taking my early evening STs or the favoritas there if I'm hungry. 200 pesos buys enough food for two people. Anything more than chicken from the street stands or pizza is way to much to spend on any hoe in Sosua. Take a hoe to Baily's or even worse Terra Linda, you got to out of your fuckin mind.

I wasn't real hungry tonight so I stopped by there. Two pieces of chicken (thighs) and fries was 100 pesos.

blazaveli
05-22-2013, 12:39 AM
That could be said for a lot of places.

Sidney
05-22-2013, 07:39 AM
As an example 400 pesos for 2 people, while Bailey's cafeteria would charge 280. Or the stand nearby would charge 200 !

BorisDaBulletDodger
05-22-2013, 08:39 AM
3.50 not a bad deal

It used to be $3.25 and get off my lawn

I paid $11 for a cheeseburger and fries while watching the game last night in the US. I guess I'm getting old too when I saw that, although it was a really really good burger.

hugrad95a
05-22-2013, 01:08 PM
As an example 400 pesos for 2 people, while Bailey's cafeteria would charge 280. Or the stand nearby would charge 200 !

why not just ask her for a price before hand

JD426
05-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Smartest move I ever saw was a Gringo Dude asking a Dominican dude sitting down and eating his meal ..
" Hey that looks good, how is it ? , and how much is that ? " ( in spanish)
NO way he was getting overcharged when stepping to the counter .. problem solved.

btw, the place near the dive shop on Pedro, on the same side towards Happy Bar , that corner.. They have really GOOD food, and very good prices if you like Plate of the Day kind of meals..

Mr. Smooth
05-22-2013, 02:31 PM
It used to be $3.25 and get off my lawn

I paid $11 for a cheeseburger and fries while watching the game last night in the US. I guess I'm getting old too when I saw that, although it was a really really good burger.

Were you eating at an airport?? :corky:

Actually, this past weekend I had a burger and fries at a popular brewpub downtown. The house burger was $9. Add $1 for bacon and another $1 for provolone cheese. I also had a pint of hefeweisen. Total bill w/tax came to just over $17. Add in a tip and I was saying goodbye to Andy Jackson. And yeah....it tasted real good too!

At times like that, I miss Sosua and the prices I pay there for a similiar meal. It's all about keeping things in perspective.

BorisDaBulletDodger
05-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Were you eating at an airport?? :corky:

Actually, this past weekend I had a burger and fries at a popular brewpub downtown. The house burger was $9. Add $1 for bacon and another $1 for provolone cheese. I also had a pint of hefeweisen. Total bill w/tax came to just over $17. Add in a tip and I was saying goodbye to Andy Jackson. And yeah....it tasted real good too!

At times like that, I miss Sosua and the prices I pay there for a similiar meal. It's all about keeping things in perspective.

No local bar but beef prices are at an all time high. Just saying its global inflation in general food prices are up and its funny to see people complaining about a meal under $4:rolleyes:

It has happened real.fast though I still get sticker shock too when I see some menu prices recently.

Sidney
05-22-2013, 03:32 PM

Usually i would, and if too high, I gave the food back. This time, I was with a guest. The ''trickster'' presented the the bill after we finished eating. I argued to no avail.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sidney
05-22-2013, 03:35 PM
No local bar but beef prices are at an all time high. Just saying its global inflation in general food prices are up and its funny to see people complaining about a meal under $4:rolleyes:

It has happened real.fast though I still get sticker shock too when I see some menu prices recently.The bill was $10 for garbage pork !:icontd::icontd::icontd:

blazaveli
05-22-2013, 03:55 PM
I think HU means asking the price before you even place your order to begin with. If you have a routine of doing that don't change up because you have a guest. The "tricksters" will bank on you not asking cause you have a guess. Besides, what's the difference if you have a guest or not? Don't worry about looking cheap by asking the price before hand if you're going to argue about the price at the end of the meal.

Usually i would, and if too high, I gave the food back. This time, I was with a guest. The ''trickster'' presented the the bill after we finished eating. I argued to no avail.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sidney
05-22-2013, 04:34 PM
I think HU means asking the price before you even place your order to begin with. If you have a routine of doing that don't change up because you have a guest. The "tricksters" will bank on you not asking cause you have a guess. Besides, what's the difference if you have a guest or not? Don't worry about looking cheap by asking the price before hand if you're going to argue about the price at the end of the meal.

Suzanana conveniently left the room. I would argue in front of a guest. Btw, I am not a green ass man as you seem to suggest. I am just trying to help the Mongers !:icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd:

blazaveli
05-22-2013, 05:05 PM
And we appreciate it. Just commenting a perspective is all. Thanks for sharing.

Suzanana conveniently left the room. I would argue in front of a guest. Btw, I am not a green ass man as you seem to suggest. I am just trying to help the Mongers !:icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd:

BrooklynBeas
05-22-2013, 05:30 PM

Sage, I can adapt to 3rd world conditions and it takes a lot to turn me off, especially when it concerns filling my big belly... This is the only spot in DR where I couldn't force myself to get a plate... One night walking back from Passions with Boris' wingman, we stopped off and took a peak, then both decided to keep it moving... (Not Susanna's now that I know I mixed up places) That little glass encased food spot had those little ants crawling all on the sides of the hot plates and a few flies all inside the pans... I remember the Suzanna'z that was next to Leo's old barber shop back in the day when he was on Pedro Clisante before he moved around the corner... Did it move or is that still the place?

P.S. Leo is without a doubt the best barber I ever had... Used to always get a shapeup and shave for 100 pesos in the old Sosua days, he would skip anyone waiting for him cause he knew I threw in another 100 peso tip...

BrooklynBeas
05-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Btw, I am not a green ass man as you seem to suggest. I am just trying to help the Mongers !:icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd:

Liar! Your ass is green and your balls are blue! lol.. Just kidding Sidney... They need to give you a resident card like they used to give out at La Roca... I thought everyone knew you in Sosua.. They probably figured they could get you for a hundred pesos.. Those bastards!

el_papi_chew_low
05-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Smartest move I ever saw was a Gringo Dude asking a Dominican dude sitting down and eating his meal ..

Bottomline is she should have her prices posted for public view so there won't be any confusion. A place that doesn't do this is often suspect

continentalmike
05-23-2013, 05:35 AM
Que pasa? Nadie pregunta por el precio?

No es tan dificil..

"Quanto cuesta (fill in the item), incluido impeustos, por favor?"

wreckless
05-23-2013, 05:37 AM
I myself have stopped eating at Suzanna's for at least the last 3 years for the same reasons mentioned. Being over charged or short changed became the norm as well as the drop in the quality of food.

When i first came to Sousa, Suzanna's restuarant was a good spot to get good, cheap Dominican food. It was a good place to pick up chicas at lunch time. Her place was so popular she moved to a bigger place at Villa Flor. The things changed. Less tourist came to Sousa which meant business started to slow down. She was forced to move to another spot which ended up being on calle Ayuntamiento. She got rid of members of her staff and started to cook herself. Then she got even less business.

She then moved back onto PC where she is based now but for me it is not anything like it once was. The food is of low quality, most Gringos are over charged and not many chicas hang out there anymore. Now there are alot more places to eat the comida tipca she serves which is cheaper and of a higher quality.

I tried Amondo's but his cousin kept trying the same shit with over charging. What i do not understand is that if you know i know how much things cost why are you trying to charge me more or short change me when i eat there everyday? You know i always spend a few weeks at a time in town?You know i am going to give a tip? You know i will bring others with me?

Now i have lunch at Bailey's where i know i will not be riped off, where the food quality is good, where the price of food is reasonable and where the environment and clientle is better.

What i find funny is when i walk by she still asks me why i do not eat at her place anymore.:confused: I have asked her why have the people who use to eat at her place stopped eating there. She say's she does not know but i know both her and her husband know why. It is became the economy is bad and things are not what they use to be.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Shogun Warrior
05-23-2013, 09:17 AM
I myself have stopped eating at Suzanna's for at least the last 3 years for the same reasons mentioned. Being over charged or short changed became the norm as well as the drop in the quality of food.

When i first came to Sousa, Suzanna's restuarant was a good spot to get good, cheap Dominican food. It was a good place to pick up chicas at lunch time. Her place was so popular she moved to a bigger place at Villa Flor. The things changed. Less tourist came to Sousa which meant business started to slow down. She was forced to move to another spot which ended up being on calle Ayuntamiento. She got rid of members of her staff and started to cook herself. Then she got even less business.

She then moved back onto PC where she is based now but for me it is not anything like it once was. The food is of low quality, most Gringos are over charged and not many chicas hang out there anymore. Now there are alot more places to eat the comida tipca she serves which is cheaper and of a higher quality.

I tried Amondo's but his cousin kept trying the same shit with over charging. What i do not understand is that if you know i know how much things cost why are you trying to charge me more or short change me when i eat there everyday? You know i always spend a few weeks at a time in town?You know i am going to give a tip? You know i will bring others with me?

Now i have lunch at Bailey's where i know i will not be riped off, where the food quality is good, where the price of food is reasonable and where the environment and clientle is better.

What i find funny is when i walk by she still asks me why i do not eat at her place anymore.:confused: I have asked her why have the people who use to eat at her place stopped eating there. She say's she does not know but i know both her and her husband know why. It is became the economy is bad and things are not what they use to be.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

So why didn't you tell them "Because you overcharge and shortchange gringo's and they talk a lot about it on the internet."

MrHappy
05-23-2013, 11:50 AM
So why didn't you tell them "Because you overcharge and shortchange gringo's and they talk a lot about it on the internet."

There you go using logic again......

JD426
05-23-2013, 12:00 PM

you gonna say that , to a Dominican ? a complete waste of time..
Suzannas jumped the shark, end of story.. NEXT...
This is a typical pattern with Dominicans who own small businesses, esp restaurants it seems.

IN the beginning they are all Gung Ho, and HUNGRY. and they LOVE what they are doing.. they get compliments and they enjoy it.. business gets GOOD, real fast. Then as the business gets away from them, they start slacking off, quality drops, portions get smaller, whatever.. Maybe they see it as their chance to rip off the gringo so they raise Prices, or overcharge when they see an opportunity never even thinking that this person might know a LOT of other people who could also be future customers, or conversely hurt their business if they fuck him over..
... They NEVER think LONG Term. its either not in their DNA, or its Their lack of education which ultimately begins to DESTROYS the business they have worked so hard to build, and its downhill from there.
They cant recover once the downward Spiral starts, cause the word of mouth is out there that the place now sucks. Quality continues to decline, and fewer customers show up.. Sadly, this is the Dominican business model, very few of them know any better.

JDR
05-23-2013, 12:20 PM
how much they overcharging, 50 peso's per meal?

Sidney
05-23-2013, 01:47 PM

Duh ! Internet? Wha dat!:icontd:

BrooklynBeas
05-23-2013, 06:40 PM
I agree with the poster that said, if she asked you why you dont eat there, you should have said why... Something may get the wood burning in that brain if something is mentioned.. She may really not know why she isn't getting the same business.. Most likely, not much would change after being told the reasons, but the slight chance it does, is worth the few minutes of communication from a long term customer that is no more...

I just remembered last trip OMGR told me he goes there alot and loves the chicken... If vets like him and Sage say the place is still on point, it may not have went down in quality that much... Or maybe only the fried chicken is good now, cause that's what they both like... Quality of food could have very well went down, but there is also a good chance it's just a different chef and person preparing the comida... We are all aware that there could be two people preparing the same dish, with same ingredients, but they taste very different.. Either way, I am a principal kinda guy as well and if I am getting overcharged because i'm a gringo, I wouldn't give my business...

officemgr
05-23-2013, 06:52 PM
there is a new place next to the old secrets with similar food for less money but i still like the fried chicken at suzannas better and either she thinks i am now dominican or she just likes me because sometimes i get charged the gringo price and sometimes i get charged less than the dominican price.

Shogun Warrior
05-23-2013, 07:12 PM
there is a new place next to the old secrets with similar food for less money but i still like the fried chicken at suzannas better and either she thinks i am now dominican or she just likes me because sometimes i get charged the gringo price and sometimes i get charged less than the dominican price.

DON'T BE COY WITH US,......................YOU KNOW YOU FUCKED HER!!!!!!!

hugrad95a
05-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Can somebody please tell me the Gringo price. 200 pesos =5 dollars.??????

Si_Poppi
05-23-2013, 11:22 PM
why not just ask her for a price before handIf I see the menu has no prices, I leave.

SeaWeed
05-23-2013, 11:46 PM
If I see the menu has no prices, I leave.
lol..........that is a good one:iconTU:

Si_Poppi
05-24-2013, 08:09 AM
I used to like going to Maimon for some good seafood. I recently went to one place and they gave us a menu with high US$ prices. Said fuck this and went to another one and got a menu with no prices. Left immediately and I won`t be back. :icontd: