PDA

View Full Version : Rio San Juan

j_d66
05-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Thinking about checking some other places out in the DR with some day trips during my next travel to the DR

I have heard that Rio San Juan has some of the nicest beaches on the North Coast.

Was wondering what other's have to say about nice beaches to travel to around the Sosua area.

Didn't find to much about it here.

It looks like there are guagua's that travel there which would prolly be the cheapest but sometimes cheapest doesn't always equal best. Any recommendations on the best way to get there and back.

ie private taxi, public taxi, rent a car for the day, hire a driver etc.

Not worried about the monger opportunities there as sometimes it is good just to get away for a day and relax and see the countryside.

Jimmydr
05-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Thinking about checking some other places out in the DR with some day trips during my next travel to the DR

I have heard that Rio San Juan has some of the nicest beaches on the North Coast.

Was wondering what other's have to say about nice beaches to travel to around the Sosua area.

Didn't find to much about it here.

It looks like there are guagua's that travel there which would prolly be the cheapest but sometimes cheapest doesn't always equal best. Any recommendations on the best way to get there and back.

ie private taxi, public taxi, rent a car for the day, hire a driver etc.

Not worried about the monger opportunities there as sometimes it is good just to get away for a day and relax and see the countryside.

I think its about 40 minutes from Sosua. I have gone both by Gwa gwa and public taxi. Both work well.

continentalmike
05-23-2013, 05:29 AM
stay in Sosua, that's really the best for all mongers :) :)

Pedrowantit
05-23-2013, 09:04 AM
There are a number of great beaches a bit further than Rio San Juan. Playa Grande is one very wide beach with rather big waves. And a bit further was one small very calm beach but cant remember the name of it. I normally rent a car so don't know any other way to get there.

captain69
05-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Hola Jd,

The beaches in the Rio San Juan area are quite nice. There is a nice beach north west of the lagoon(as you approach Laguna Gri Gri circle to your left.) Just past the town is
Playa Caleton where food and drink can be purchased at the beach restaurants and consumed at a beachside table under the trees. The locals are friendly and helpful. A little spanish
goes a long way, but there are always locals that speak english. The best way to get there is by carrito. The carritos leave from the lot across from the Texaco gas station in Sosua and cost
100 RD each way.

Citynights
05-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Hola Jd,

The beaches in the Rio San Juan area are quite nice. There is a nice beach north west of the lagoon(as you approach Laguna Gri Gri circle to your left.) Just past the town is
Playa Caleton where food and drink can be purchased at the beach restaurants and consumed at a beachside table under the trees. The locals are friendly and helpful. A little spanish
goes a long way, but there are always locals that speak english. The best way to get there is by carrito. The carritos leave from the lot across from the Texaco gas station in Sosua and cost
100 RD each way.

The cost has come up then.....I used to play at Playa Grande just outside of Rio San Juan....grab my clubs walk out to public taxi stand pay 50 pesos for the front seat another 10 peso for bus after the last stop in Rio San Juan that takes you rest of the way....120 pesos return...5-6 bucks now is a good price .... My first time $70 US the gringo price...

Irie
05-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Hola Jd,

100 RD each way.

jd- Playa Caleton is a pretty cool, relaxed place and a great spot to spend an afternoon. I've got some pics in a previous tr. Here's the link to the post that is starts with.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?387347-02-2012-Irie-(VIII)-una-nueva-mirada&p=1090952#post1090952

j_d66
05-23-2013, 10:19 PM
jd- Playa Caleton is a pretty cool, relaxed place and a great spot to spend an afternoon. I've got some pics in a previous tr. Here's the link to the post that is starts with.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?387347-02-2012-Irie-(VIII)-una-nueva-mirada&p=1090952#post1090952

Thanks for the link and taking the time to put up the report on Rio San Juan.
I appreciate the info and feel for what it looks like

Sidney
05-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Yes,a great place to visit. Plus a really cool hotel to shack-up with your favorita, Bahia Blanca, about $33. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

JDR
05-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Yes,a great place to visit. Plus a really cool hotel to shack-up with your favorita, Bahia Blanca, about $33. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You said something positive, nice

balcoach
05-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Down to more important things.... there is a really good and cheap pico pollo right behind the gas station to the left.
Its run by some dominican chinese folks!

get like 3 pieces and fries or rice/beans for 90 pesos...
decent deal :-)

no gringo tax here sidnery :-)

bailar
05-24-2013, 05:07 PM

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=27983&d=1316874912

el_papi_chew_low
12-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Went to Rio de Jamao last week. About 40 minutes past Cabarete. Nice place to go with some friends and cookout, swim, dance, drink, etc.

bailar
12-09-2013, 12:30 AM
Went to Rio de Jamao last week. About 40 minutes past Cabarete. Nice place to go with some friends and cookout, swim, dance, drink, etc.

Rio de Jamao is the second major river crossing south of Sabaneta de Yasica on rte 21 the road that goes to Moca and Santiago.