PDA

View Full Version : DR is #1 in...........

LM
06-07-2013, 02:57 PM
The World Health Organization has a released report (http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_safety_status/2013/en/) on the world's most dangerous roads, taking into account the number of motor vehicle-related deaths per 100,000 people. Top of the list is Dominican Republic, followed by Thailand, Venezuela and Iran. Safest? Iceland.

deezl
06-07-2013, 03:07 PM
it's not the roads - it's the drivers.

rahsta
06-07-2013, 03:23 PM
The World Health Organization has a released report (http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_safety_status/2013/en/) on the world's most dangerous roads, taking into account the number of motor vehicle-related deaths per 100,000 people. Top of the list is Dominican Republic, followed by Thailand, Venezuela and Iran. Safest? Iceland.

Where is the U.S. ranked?

captain69
06-07-2013, 04:01 PM
With the way they drive here, I am surprized there are not more deaths.

BigLongBeach
06-07-2013, 04:26 PM
With the way they drive here, I am surprized there are not more deaths.

Road rage, drunk driving, lack of police action on laws, Motos, bad roads, poorly lit roads, and idiot gringos that drive at 120km/minutes make this place number 1

they dont have the technology, the man power, or training to get the bad drivers of the road. The problem is where to start? enforcing traffic laws? remove unsafe cars? more Amet? who knows....

BorisDaBulletDodger
06-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Road rage, drunk driving, lack of police action on laws, Motos, bad roads, poorly lit roads, and idiot gringos that drive at 120km/minutes make this place number 1

they dont have the technology, the man power, or training to get the bad drivers of the road. The problem is where to start? enforcing traffic laws? remove unsafe cars? more Amet? who knows....

And all those cars would pass inspection in the state of ny too:rofl:

hugrad95a
06-07-2013, 05:19 PM

Every other day some chica on facebook is posting a picture of Johnny Walker and a hand gun in the front seat. Makes sense to me were they are ranked

JD426
06-07-2013, 05:36 PM
I Dunno where some of y'all have been driving in the DR, but I have NEVER EVER encountered "ROAD RAGE" in the DR... I have seen people ARGUING, yes, but they stayed inside the car , and I have observed this with great fascination many times.
Imo, its the polar opposite of like Russia, where they get OUT of the car, with a weapon in hand if you even slightly offend another driver.

The DR... had Macho Driving, Stupid Driving, bad equipment ( tires and various critical worn car parts) , Over loading Trucks, SPEEDING way beyond their Skill and limitations of their Vehicles, DRUNK Driving ... YES, to all of those. I would say young Drunk driving kills the most... 2 people just in the past year who I knew indirectly through friends, and they both had NICE cars too.. for ex: and perhaps Uncle Ruckus and Mr Happy can maybe confirm this, bit there is this "200 CLUB" that the Young Dominican Bucks brag about... ie Driving 200 Km PH, in a Nice Euro Sports car like a BMW , is some kind of Big status thing with them... not true how true this is, but thats the kind of shit which is killing their young drivers.

But Road Rage ? Never ...
the Reason, IMO... there is no false sense of Serurity, like we have here in the USA... You get out of your car and go after somebody, you are on your own, and if he has a gun (very likely) you better have one too.. just nor worth it, so they just dont do it.. not that I have ever seen.
Just my .02

whynotme
06-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Where is the U.S. ranked? it was too long of a report so I gave up looking for it.:eek:go nuts:corky:http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_safety_status/2013/en/

BigLongBeach
06-07-2013, 06:08 PM
I have 2 stories; A ex novia was trying back from ocoa with her daughter, and her teenage brothers. A moto cut her off, stopped short, and her bumped the back tires of the motto. The passenger got off the motto with a gun jumped ontop of the hood and started kicking the window in. he eventually stopped and left.

a 'Tio' of mine was driving when he got cut off. they meet at the stop light and started yelling at eachother when the other pulled out his gun and started firing, Before he started firing my tio saw him reach for a gun and reached to his glove box for his gun. The other shot straight to my uncles door and missed my my uncle lit him up. The twist of all of this is the driver was a general

i got one more but i dont remember all the details. guns were involved again

I Dunno where some of y'all have been driving in the DR, but I have NEVER EVER encountered "ROAD RAGE" in the DR... I have seen people ARGUING, yes, but they stayed inside the car , and I have observed this with great fascination many times.
Imo, its the polar opposite of like Russia, where they get OUT of the car, with a weapon in hand if you even slightly offend another driver.

The DR... had Macho Driving, Stupid Driving, bad equipment ( tires and various critical worn car parts) , Over loading Trucks, SPEEDING way beyond their Skill and limitations of their Vehicles, DRUNK Driving ... YES, to all of those. I would say young Drunk driving kills the most... 2 people just in the past year who I knew indirectly through friends, and they both had NICE cars too.. for ex: and perhaps Uncle Ruckus and Mr Happy can maybe confirm this, bit there is this "200 CLUB" that the Young Dominican Bucks brag about... ie Driving 200 Km PH, in a Nice Euro Sports car like a BMW , is some kind of Big status thing with them... not true how true this is, but thats the kind of shit which is killing their young drivers.

But Road Rage ? Never ...
the Reason, IMO... there is no false sense of Serurity, like we have here in the USA... You get out of your car and go after somebody, you are on your own, and if he has a gun (very likely) you better have one too.. just nor worth it, so they just dont do it.. not that I have ever seen.
Just my .02

JD426
06-07-2013, 06:25 PM
I have 2 stories; A ex novia was trying back from ocoa with her daughter, and her teenage brothers. A moto cut her off, stopped short, and her bumped the back tires of the motto. The passenger got off the motto with a gun jumped ontop of the hood and started kicking the window in. he eventually stopped and left.

a 'Tio' of mine was driving when he got cut off. they meet at the stop light and started yelling at eachother when the other pulled out his gun and started firing, Before he started firing my tio saw him reach for a gun and reached to his glove box for his gun. The other shot straight to my uncles door and missed my my uncle lit him up. The twist of all of this is the driver was a general

i got one more but i dont remember all the details. guns were involved again

And I totally believe every word u said, however..

But for those 2 cases which both involved GUNS, (which in a strange way proves what I said before, you DONT know if the other guy has a gun, and MOST DO, so the "average person" IMO is less likely to take it this far... And the one example , the moto guy Left. and in the other a GENERAL ? was involved.

So , For ever one of THOSE scenarios, HOW many do you see where people CUT each other off, and push into traffic. and DONT even argue one bit. Like its perfectly Normal ...
Maybe I am comparing apples to Oranges, but EVERY incident I have seen where drivers were cuttting off other drivers,
those same scenarios HERE in the US would have easily resulted in a potential Road Rage Incident.. or at least yelling and screaming, etc..
So , as BAD their Driving is in the DR.. its like they just ROLL WITH IT.. Not very many get offended enough to even argue about it.
would you agree on that ?
I just dont see ROAD Rage as a problem in the DR.. or just never encountered it.
Here in the USA,, Road Ragers will literally FOLLOW the person who pissed them off, even WOMEN get followed, like the dude is gonna do some shit ?, which is just NUTS ..
. have you ever seen anything like that in the DR, seriously..

el toro
06-07-2013, 11:32 PM
The good thing about us from my observations is that gringos that can't drive in DR just DON'T drive there. I can honestly say that every gringo that I have rode with knows how to drive there pretty well.

greydread
06-08-2013, 12:08 PM
The good thing about us from my observations is that gringos that can't drive in DR just DON'T drive there. I can honestly say that every gringo that I have rode with knows how to drive there pretty well.

Drivers in Jamaica are every bit as crazy as their Dominican counterparts yet I don't mind driving there even with that wrong side of the road shit they have going on. The difference in my case is the volume of traffic. I also refused to drive in Mexico City. I usually make up my mind whether to drive in a country during my cab ride from the airport to the hotel.

No one from the greater NYC area would consider Dominicans prone to road rage. 3 days before I left NYC for basic training an off duty cop shot and killed another driver who had cut him off at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel outbound. I knew right then and there that I would never live there again. Dominicans by comparison are not angry drivers, they just suck at it and there are too many of them. When you add 5' sink holes hiding under puddles in the road and the un-roadworthiness of most of the vehicles out there and a little bit of weather you have a perfect recipe for disaster. Then, just for kicks add a few propane tanks rolling around dashboards and trunks. :scared:

Mr. Smooth
06-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Those propane tanks behind the back seat freaked me out the first time I saw them. A taxi driver agreed to take me to Sosua from Santiago (2000 pesos....what can I say??) and when he pulled into a petrol station, he asked me to get out. I did and he reached back to pull down the back seat and there was this propane tank. WTF??

I just prayed one of those Caribe Tour busses wouldn't smash into our rear bumper on the ride up. One thing to realize about these stats, I think the way the publicos and gua guas jam people into those vehicles might have a little something to do with the amount of carnage on the highways when there is a traffic accident. When you have 15 people crammed into a vehicle designed for 7 or 8 and it gets in an accident, is it any wonder why there are so many highway deaths? Plus, those dudes driving those things must all harbor dreams of being a Formula 1 race car driver. Not always a safe mix.

psriches
06-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Drivers in Jamaica are every bit as crazy as their Dominican counterparts yet I don't mind driving there even with that wrong side of the road shit they have going on. The difference in my case is the volume of traffic. I also refused to drive in Mexico City. I usually make up my mind whether to drive in a country during my cab ride from the airport to the hotel.

No one from the greater NYC area would consider Dominicans prone to road rage. 3 days before I left NYC for basic training an off duty cop shot and killed another driver who had cut him off at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel outbound. I knew right then and there that I would never live there again. Dominicans by comparison are not angry drivers, they just suck at it and there are too many of them. When you add 5' sink holes hiding under puddles in the road and the un-roadworthiness of most of the vehicles out there and a little bit of weather you have a perfect recipe for disaster. Then, just for kicks add a few propane tanks rolling around dashboards and trunks. :scared:And don't forget the cervesa and brugal!!

Westy
06-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Every other day some chica on facebook is posting a picture of Johnny Walker and a hand gun in the front seat. Makes sense to me were they are ranked

Wait a moment ... are you talking about Balcoach's avatar?

(Pardon me, Balcoach. I hope I'm not treading too hard on your sensitive toes, mentioning your avatar in such terms.)

MrHappy
06-09-2013, 07:47 PM

So do some members on here... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

MrHappy
06-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Those propane tanks behind the back seat freaked me out the first time I saw them. A taxi driver agreed to take me to Sosua from Santiago (2000 pesos....what can I say??) and when he pulled into a petrol station, he asked me to get out. I did and he reached back to pull down the back seat and there was this propane tank. WTF??

I just prayed one of those Caribe Tour busses wouldn't smash into our rear bumper on the ride up. One thing to realize about these stats, I think the way the publicos and gua guas jam people into those vehicles might have a little something to do with the amount of carnage on the highways when there is a traffic accident. When you have 15 people crammed into a vehicle designed for 7 or 8 and it gets in an accident, is it any wonder why there are so many highway deaths? Plus, those dudes driving those things must all harbor dreams of being a Formula 1 race car driver. Not always a safe mix.

Wanna see some pictures of accidents with propane tanks in the back??