PDA

View Full Version : THIS is why I try and avoid riding motoconchos as much as possible...

Apos
06-23-2013, 02:51 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=672266746133171&set=vb.100000495556620&type=2&theater

Nasty accident on the highway by Playa Sosua last night...jeepeta hit the dude.

DCIronman
06-23-2013, 06:27 PM
I refuse to ride them. Seen way too many accidents, and the victims of such. And they're especially bad in Puerto Plata.

Last time I was in Sosua, more than 3 years ago, I was driving from Santiago and saw a horrible accident involving a gua gua full of people and a motoconcho. People were laid out on the ground or staggering around covered in blood.

No sir. It's much safer for me to drive myself around.

deezl
06-23-2013, 06:39 PM
I haven't gotten on a moto since the morning a chica friend showed up at my doorstep covered in road rash.

fuck motos.

sporthobbyist
06-23-2013, 06:44 PM
I almost never ride them. If the puta is in heels or its raining, I will give her moto money and I tell her to meet me in 10 minutes
If she has flats she walks with me

those motos, ride like idiots. The few times I took one, it was double and I told the guy to go slow

The last thing I want is to get into an accident on vacation in a third world country, at 5am!!!

Jonew1
06-23-2013, 11:34 PM
It should be mandatory that all of the motos have a side car attatched to it and that who ever rides in the side car has to wear one of those old style pilot hats that tie up under your chin.... oh and goggles ..... goggles should be mandatory also.... but you dont have to tie the hat under your chin.... you can let the sides flap in the wind heading down to La passions sipping a presidente

Hanzo
06-24-2013, 02:49 AM
I remember when I was a kid riding the motos when it was like me, and a couple of cousins, we'd pill up on one 3 or 4 of us excluding the driver, as I got older I started to shy away from going anywhere near one. Last time I took one was about 4 or 5 years ago, the moto driver somehow didn't see the "policia dormiendo" and hit it as fast as possible, I wasn't prepared for such an impact so I literally got thrown up in the air, not to far but enough that when I landed it was pretty hard, luckily from years of breaking arms, legs, and other various body parts as a dumb kid my first reaction is to cross my arms like an X over my chest as I was told it's the best way to fall as you'd prevent yourself from injuring yourself further and wouldn't be putting all your body weight in one area, I landed pretty hard, but was fine, a couple of scraped knees, elbows, and a few cuts on my face, nothing that would require serious medical attention. Since then I don't go near one.

eldorob
06-24-2013, 10:10 AM
That's a dangerous curve, I hate even driving thru there. Way too much going on, both sides, people walking, busses, motos everywhere.

It should be a 15 mph zone, but fat chance of that.

Sidney
06-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Upon mounting a moto, my immediate instructions are: ''Me no gusta rapido'' + Me no gusta Hopital''! And yell at them if they defy me! It seems to help !:mad:

weyland
06-24-2013, 01:35 PM
the moto driver somehow didn't see the "policia dormiendo" ...
Interesting you call it that. That is what they are called in England (though in English, obviously) but I have never found it to be understood in the DR. Here in Puerto Plata they have another nickname which I have forgotten. It is something I needed sorted as I have to warn motos to slow down for them every week.

I travel maybe 20 moto trips every week, many of them a couple of miles long across the city. I am not happy about it but any other method of getting about would be totally impractical, apart from the expense. Having a panel of "trusted" drivers cuts the danger quite a lot, but still not enough. When I am with visitors to the city I always point out the risks if I am suggesting they take a moto.

MrHappy
06-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Interesting you call it that. That is what they are called in England (though in English, obviously) but I have never found it to be understood in the DR. Here in Puerto Plata they have another nickname which I have forgotten. It is something I needed sorted as I have to warn motos to slow down for them every week.

I travel maybe 20 moto trips every week, many of them a couple of miles long across the city. I am not happy about it but any other method of getting about would be totally impractical, apart from the expense. Having a panel of "trusted" drivers cuts the danger quite a lot, but still not enough. When I am with visitors to the city I always point out the risks if I am suggesting they take a moto.

The term you're looking for is "policia acostao'" (acostado)

weyland
06-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks. I will use that. Still not what the locals here use, but I am guessing they are substituting an impolite slang word for "policia".

MrHappy
06-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks. I will use that. Still not what the locals here use, but I am guessing they are substituting an impolite slang word for "policia".

I've also heard " lo topo acostao", or in the case of a larger speed bump, "teniente" or "coronel acostao'", as an obvious reference to higher ranked officials.

MrHappy
06-24-2013, 01:52 PM
I remember when I was a kid riding the motos when it was like me, and a couple of cousins, we'd pill up on one 3 or 4 of us excluding the driver, as I got older I started to shy away from going anywhere near one. Last time I took one was about 4 or 5 years ago, the moto driver somehow didn't see the "policia dormiendo" and hit it as fast as possible, I wasn't prepared for such an impact so I literally got thrown up in the air, not to far but enough that when I landed it was pretty hard, luckily from years of breaking arms, legs, and other various body parts as a dumb kid my first reaction is to cross my arms like an X over my chest as I was told it's the best way to fall as you'd prevent yourself from injuring yourself further and wouldn't be putting all your body weight in one area, I landed pretty hard, but was fine, a couple of scraped knees, elbows, and a few cuts on my face, nothing that would require serious medical attention. Since then I don't go near one.

you mean, like this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGUsc-rj2V4

BrooklynBeas
06-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Upon mounting a moto, my immediate instructions are: ''Me no gusta rapido'' + Me no gusta Hopital''! And yell at them if they defy me! It seems to help !:mad:

If/when I get on one, I immediately say, DESPACIO!!! POR FAVOR... It usually helps for a block or two, then I have to repeat it, DESPACIO!!!!!

ROVER
06-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Am I seeing this right? Did this poor guy have his foot ripped off as well ?

MrHappy
06-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Am I seeing this right? Did this poor guy have his foot ripped off as well ?

That's why you see lots of young men here that are missing a leg. A motorcycle hit by a car frequently takes a limb.

tgunz
06-25-2013, 06:56 PM

Policia acostao is what I always hear also....

Ram
06-26-2013, 01:41 PM
If/when I get on one, I immediately say, DESPACIO!!! POR FAVOR... It usually helps for a block or two, then I have to repeat it, DESPACIO!!!!! I find this works most of the time. I have a series of guys I use, only at night, only in town. Never on the highway, go to the publico stand and make a deal.

The Sage
06-26-2013, 03:08 PM
I greatly dislike riding motos. When I do the approach described here is what I use. If you don't have guys you trust I suggest chosing an age mature driver and not one of the youngsters. The older guys in general use far more caution when carrying passengers.

I find this works most of the time. I have a series of guys I use, only at night, only in town. Never on the highway, go to the publico stand and make a deal.

JD426
06-26-2013, 03:19 PM
If you never been on a dirtbike as a youngster, or at least a BMX Bike,, and you know how to fall off just in case it ever came down to it.. Then imo you got no business on the back of a Motoconcho.. Streetbike riding is good too
If however you did ride dirtbikes and took some good spills, that experience stays with you for life, and you will know immediately who is a good rider, and who is a macho shit who you should stay away from.. Anyone who has been on a bike will know this within seconds of getting on.. The Older guys as was said , are a LOT safer, because there is none of that MACHO shit.. its a Business to them, and puts food on the table .. they are much less likely to do something foolish with a paying customer on the back.

MrHappy
06-26-2013, 03:23 PM
I greatly dislike riding motos. When I do the approach described here is what I use. If you don't have guys you trust I suggest chosing an age mature driver and not one of the youngsters. The older guys in general use far more caution when carrying passengers.

The fact that they still have all of their limbs will attest to that. Absolutely true.

Mr. Smooth
06-26-2013, 03:41 PM
This was scary to look at. I walk a lot when I'm down there, seldom do I feel I need to be in a rush to be someplace in particular. When on vacation, time should definitely be on your side.

When I have stayed at the Palms or once at the Tradewinds, the moto guys at the bottom of the hill always wave when they see me walking down the hill to acknowledge them if I want a ride. Those guys are a bit older than the young guys who hang out on the street corners in town and always ride on the shoulder at a slower speed, maybe no faster than 30 mph or so. If it takes me an extra minute or 90 seconds to arrive at Rockys for a #32 for breakfast, I think I will be ok.

And that goes for the beach or anywhere else as well. And if at night with a chica, I be sure to tell them "Despacio por favor. No quiero un accidente". They usually chuckle and agree with me. They don't get out of 2nd gear.

MrHappy
06-26-2013, 03:47 PM
This was scary to look at. I walk a lot when I'm down there, seldom do I feel I need to be in a rush to be someplace in particular. When on vacation, time should definitely be on your side.

When I have stayed at the Palms or once at the Tradewinds, the moto guys at the bottom of the hill always wave when they see me walking down the hill to acknowledge them if I want a ride. Those guys are a bit older than the young guys who hang out on the street corners in town and always ride on the shoulder at a slower speed, maybe no faster than 30 mph or so. If it takes me an extra minute or 90 seconds to arrive at Rockys for a #32 for breakfast, I think I will be ok.

And that goes for the beach or anywhere else as well. And if at night with a chica, I be sure to tell them "Despacio por favor. No quiero un accidente". They usually chuckle and agree with me. They don't get out of 2nd gear.

I'd like to add that whenever you guys get on a bike, watch defensively. I know you guys understand what I mean, but to spell it out- we are used to constantly scanning our surroundings when we drive a car or motorcycle. It's something that many drivers here do NOT do. They only look where they are headed(or at girls)

There's nothing wrong with calling the attention to the driver by pointing and saying "cuidado" if you see a potentially bad situation.

I've seen many an accident in my days that could have been avoided had the driver been paying attention to what's going on around him.

weyland
06-26-2013, 05:19 PM
... I suggest chosing an age mature driver and not one of the youngsters. The older guys in general use far more caution when carrying passengers.
As Dominican Billy always said "You see old motoconchistas, and you see bold motoconchistas, but you never see old, bold motoconchistas". (Of course adapted from the old saying about WWI pilots).

I always go for the grizzled haired ones if there is a choice (sometimes there isn't). I also choose ones wearing helmets. This might seem counter-productive as a helmet could interfere with their awareness of their surroundings, but firstly they don't have any awareness, and secondly it suggests they are less "macho" and more inclined to conform to the law. Another thing I look for is rear-view mirrors. All the guys on my favoured panel of "motoconchistas de confianza" have them.

There is a certain route I routinely take, which entails going up a one-way street and crossing three roads where the signs clearly indicate "Give Way" (because those other roads have priority). I reckon two out of five of my drivers slow down enough, if not to avoid a collision, at least enough to avoid a serious one, two out of five don't seem aware that we don't have precedence so just motor across at the same speed, and the fifth will accelerate in the hope that, if a car is cutting across our route, we will beat them to it.

At the other extreme there is one old guy who sometimes takes me who motors so slowly we get overtaken by fat ladies on pasolas and motos towing cripples in wheelchairs. What is Dominican Spanish for "Grow a pair, you old fart, we are getting humiliated here"? Maybe his bike only has the two lower gears.

Dr World
06-26-2013, 11:01 PM
As Dominican Billy always said "You see old motoconchistas, and you see bold motoconchistas, but you never see old, bold motoconchistas". (Of course adapted from the old saying about WWI pilots).

I always go for the grizzled haired ones if there is a choice (sometimes there isn't). I also choose ones wearing helmets. This might seem counter-productive as a helmet could interfere with their awareness of their surroundings, but firstly they don't have any awareness, and secondly it suggests they are less "macho" and more inclined to conform to the law. Another thing I look for is rear-view mirrors. All the guys on my favoured panel of "motoconchistas de confianza" have them.

There is a certain route I routinely take, which entails going up a one-way street and crossing three roads where the signs clearly indicate "Give Way" (because those other roads have priority). I reckon two out of five of my drivers slow down enough, if not to avoid a collision, at least enough to avoid a serious one, two out of five don't seem aware that we don't have precedence so just motor across at the same speed, and the fifth will accelerate in the hope that, if a car is cutting across our route, we will beat them to it.

At the other extreme there is one old guy who sometimes takes me who motors so slowly we get overtaken by fat ladies on pasolas and motos towing cripples in wheelchairs. What is Dominican Spanish for "Grow a pair, you old fart, we are getting humiliated here"? Maybe his bike only has the two lower gears.

The moto driver probably goes home to his family and says the same thing---I had a really old guy on my bike, I was so afraid he would fall off so I had to go really slow..

Gutter Meat
10-20-2013, 01:05 AM
From Sosua news.....

VESTS AND IDENTITY CARDS FOR MOTOCONCHOS

Tuesday afternoon, October 15th mayor Ilana Neumann, in company of the commanders of the National Police and Traffic Police, held a meeting with some thirty motorcycle taxi drivers. The meeting was held next to the town hall of Sosúa in the shade of the trees. The motoconchos received a vest with number and an identification card. Furthermore, they were assigned to a fixed stand. Only from this stand they are allowed to pick up passengers for a motorcycle taxi ride. This is in order to prevent unfair competition. The commander of the traffic police warned the motoconchos that they, from now on, have to wear their vest as they exercise their profession of motorcycle taxi (motoconcho). The Amet (traffic police) officers will strictly check on it. Furthermore, a motoconcho has to be in possession of valid ownership and insurance documents.
Vests and identity cards for Motoconchos
Vests and identity cards
for Motoconchos
With this introduction of wearing vests and ID, pirate motoconchos from elsewhere, who often cause much inconvenience, can easily be recognized and excluded.
Information and picture: Félix Corona
(Spokesman town hall) )

Gutter Meat
10-20-2013, 01:10 AM
Are you f*cking kidding me. They tried this before and didn't work. There are way too many freelance motoconchos out there to enforce this. If they are serious about this I shouldn't see one motococho in front of Rumba bar & D Latin without a vest. Not happening. All smoke in mirrors. And they are assigned to a fixed stand and can only pick up passengers from there. Yea ok. I guess election time must be soon. This is nothing but a publicity stunt. A whole 3 vests on the table, plenty to give out to all the motocochos.

dquick
10-20-2013, 06:18 AM
Are you f*cking kidding me. They tried this before and didn't work. There are way too many freelance motoconchos out there to enforce this. If they are serious about this I shouldn't see one motococho in front of Rumba bar & D Latin without a vest. Not happening. All smoke in mirrors. And they are assigned to a fixed stand and can only pick up passengers from there. Yea ok. I guess election time must be soon. This is nothing but a publicity stunt. A whole 3 vests on the table, plenty to give out to all the motocochos.

Slow down. Just go down to Puerto Plata and take a look during the day. Every motto is wearing a vest. You only see the freelancers out at night. AMET normally works during the day, so you will still see some out at night. BUT once in a while, AMET does stings at night.

Sidney
10-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Upon seating, I immediately tell the driver, ''Me no gusta rapido, tranquilo''! If he speeds up, I more than gently slap both his shoulders and repeat, ''No rapido''! Always, they get the message! Also, I am the worst ''back seat driver'' imaginable ! :lol: