PDA

View Full Version : 08/2013 - Alamo-National, Republica Dominicana, discount codes

Jao
08-07-2013, 03:10 AM
Alamo, National, Enterprise are based in St. Louis, Missouri, pleasant people at their corporate office there.

If you rent with Alamo or National in the Dom. Rep., it will be the same workers and same cars.

20% off from Alamo's webpage:
20% Off in Latin America
Available from 05/01/2012 - 12/31/2013

https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental/deals/deal-results.html/country=DO/flexible=on/offset=0.html

Click details to use the coupon code.

BJs Travel Site also offers coupon codes for the big rental companies that will save you money (some work for the Dominican Republic); http://travel.bjs.com/car-rentals/

The Nissan Versa in the photos costs a little less than $40US per day using the 20% off Alamo coupon, renting at the Santo Domingo Airport (open 24/7), rate includes $3.75 for glass/tire insurance per day and $9 per day for Third Party Liability Insurance (Mastercard Credit Card provides some coverage for free when paying with their card). Alamo-National has about 10 locations in the Dominican Republic, I have rented with them over 20 times and not had any major problems. The car in the photos had less than 7000 miles on the odometer when I rented it (unlimited miles with Alamo-National in the Dominican Republic). This car has a CD player and probably a connection for an ipod or other external music player.

nnjdave
08-07-2013, 06:20 AM
Did the Nissan have cruise control? I'm going next month. The last time I drove the new highway I had trouble maintaining the low speed limits.

Jao
08-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Did the Nissan have cruise control? I'm going next month. The last time I drove the new highway I had trouble maintaining the low speed limits.

Yes.

I didn't try the cruise control. On the steering wheel there are buttons for the cruise control. Also on the steering wheel are buttons for the radio (volume, track, station) and to answer a cell phone.

Larger numbers on the speedometer are for kilometers per hour, smaller numbers are for miles per hour. Approximate 6 to 10 ratio. 100 kilometers is about 60 miles. Multiple the first number (or numbers, double digit numbers and above) in the kilometer by 6 to arrive at an approximation of the amount of miles, 40 kilometers, 6 x 4 is about 24 miles, 70 kilometers is about 42 miles 7x6=42). Road signs in the Dom. Rep. which show distances to various towns and cities use kilometers (km). Averaging 60 mph (a mile a minute), a town 30 miles away is about 30 minutes away.

Jao
08-08-2013, 12:34 AM

I don't think I have heard of a person getting a speeding ticket on the highway in Dominican Republic.

nnjdave
08-08-2013, 04:05 AM
I'm not worried about a ticket, but I am worried about a road-side fine. Thanks for the info.

Jao
08-08-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm not worried about a ticket, but I am worried about a road-side fine. Thanks for the info.

Thanks. Getting pulled over on the highway I have not seen in the DR.

MrHappy
08-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks. Getting pulled over on the highway I have not seen in the DR.

LOL... then you haven't driven here enough yet. I see it on a daily basis.

Now, if you're talking slecifically about on the Autopista Duarte, then yes, it's fairly uncommon. They mainly stop trucks to check for contraband.

Jao
08-08-2013, 11:39 AM
LOL... then you haven't driven here enough yet. I see it on a daily basis.

Now, if you're talking slecifically about on the Autopista Duarte, then yes, it's fairly uncommon. They mainly stop trucks to check for contraband.

Thanks.

A patrol car or a motorcycle driving on the Highway, flashing lights and having a driver pull over on a Highway in the Dominican Republic for speeding, I have never seen in more than ten years of driving in the Dominican Republic.

In the DR there are sometimes checkpoints on the side of roads where some drivers are motioned to pull over and stop (has nothing to do with speeding). Military, Drug Police, Policia Nacional and AMET (traffic police) I have seen their checkpoints on some roads in the DR.

Jao
08-08-2013, 08:01 PM
LOL... then you haven't driven here enough yet.

Some booty at 1:04 of the video, lol.

Autodromo Mobil 1, http://www.autodromomobil1.com (http://www.autodromomobil1.com/) located between the SDQ airport and the city;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZVgdsa--RI

Jao
08-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Auto Racetrack (Autodromo), Mobil 1, Santo Domingo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXlUnNZvLC4

Autodromo pics from bufeo.

Corrado
08-08-2013, 08:34 PM
....A patrol car or a motorcycle driving on the Highway, flashing lights and having a driver pull over on a Highway in the Dominican Republic for speeding, I have never seen in more than ten years of driving in the Dominican Republic...... It is infrequent because they do not have a lot of RADAR units, and of the few I have seen they were hand held not mounted in the car. I have seen them run RADAR and pull people over for speeding in 3 places, one location in Santiago and one in La Capital. The one that I have seen the most is in the corridor where DR1 and DR5 intersect at Naverrete although I have only seen them 3 or 4 times in 8 years, my cousin tells me they are there frequently.

Jao
08-08-2013, 09:26 PM
It is infrequent because they do not have a lot of RADAR units, and of the few I have seen they were hand held not mounted in the car. I have seen them run RADAR and pull people over for speeding in 3 places, one location in Santiago and one in La Capital. The one that I have seen the most is in the corridor where DR1 and DR5 intersect at Naverrete although I have only seen them 3 or 4 times in 8 years, my cousin tells me they are there frequently.

For me it is a pleasure to drive in the Dominican Republic, good roads, good rental car, good weather, no heavy traffic on the highways I use.

snoozer
08-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Alamo, National, Enterprise are based in St. Louis, Missouri, pleasant people at their corporate office there.

If you rent with Alamo or National in the Dom. Rep., it will be the same workers and same cars.

20% off from Alamo's webpage:
20% Off in Latin America
Available from 05/01/2012 - 12/31/2013

https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental/deals/deal-results.html/country=DO/flexible=on/offset=0.html

Click details to use the coupon code.

BJs Travel Site also offers coupon codes for the big rental companies that will save you money (some work for the Dominican Republic); http://travel.bjs.com/car-rentals/

The Nissan Versa in the photos costs a little less than $40US per day using the 20% off Alamo coupon, renting at the Santo Domingo Airport (open 24/7), rate includes $3.75 for glass/tire insurance per day and $9 per day for Third Party Liability Insurance (Mastercard Credit Card provides some coverage for free when paying with their card). Alamo-National has about 10 locations in the Dominican Republic, I have rented with them over 20 times and not had any major problems. The car in the photos had less than 7000 miles on the odometer when I rented it (unlimited miles with Alamo-National in the Dominican Republic). This car has a CD player and probably a connection for an ipod or other external music player.
Does this mean that if you have an accident you will only be covered for damage to the glass and tires, any other damage you would have to pay for?

Have you ever had an accident and "tested" the insurance? Do you get Casa de Conducter insurance?

Jao
08-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Does this mean that if you have an accident you will only be covered for damage to the glass and tires, any other damage you would have to pay for?

Have you ever had an accident and "tested" the insurance? Do you get Casa de Conducter insurance?

Alamo offers an insurance that covers the loss of the vehicle and third party liability insurance (the two combined with one price) for around $19US per day. Mastercard Credit Card offers to cover the loss of the rental car if you pay for the rental with their card (probably will not cover expensive SUVs). Therefore I decline the $19 combined insurance from alamo. When you decline that insurance with Alamo it is mandatory that you take the Third Party Liability Insurance for $9US per day.

Glass and Tire Insurance costs about $3.75 per day. I have had at least 3 tires replaced, that cost me nothing. If the windshield gets damaged or tires get damaged on the rental, you pay for nothing if you have the insurance. If the tire gets destroyed on the rental and you didn't take the insurance you have to pay for a replacement tire (the tire is not repairable) or pay to fix the flat if it is repairable.

Casa de Conductor I don't believe is offered by Alamo (Alamo had Universal Insurance Company for the last car I rented. Universal offers casa de conductor insurance).

Not a good idea to drink and drive in the Dom Rep. Not a good idea to drive fast in populated areas. The highways where I drive fast are oftentimes 4 lanes that go through unpopulated areas.

I will be renting with Alamo again in less than two weeks and will ask what exactly the Third Party Liability Insurance (Bodily Injuries and Property Damage to Third Parties?) covers.

One time I had two tires on an Alamo car go bad at the same time, Alamo sent a truck to the hotel where I was staying and an Alamo worker replaced the tires free of charge (I had the insurance).

One time I locked the car keys inside the car in Santiago near the monument, a nice old Dominican lawyer with a house in front of where I parked invited me into his house and he called Alamo. Alamo sent a worker to open the door, free of charge. I hung out in the lawyer's house while I waited for the alamo worker to come and became friend's with the lawyer. (Santiago has parking meters in the area near the monument, I had gotten a parking ticket earlier that day and paid it and was determined not to get another parking ticket, with that distraction I locked the keys in the car).

blazaveli
08-09-2013, 12:23 AM
Thanks for sharing Jao.

Priceline is a great look also for those who like to rent. I've done priceline every single trip and it works great as a baseline and you can negotiate from there if you want a better vehicle than what you've reserved and helps to ensure they don't overcharge you. I usually make 4-5 different reservations at POP via priceline in case one of them acts up. Just did some comparison with priceline and looks like I can still get a better deal through priceline. I just reserved a "Mid-Sized Car" (Mitsubishi Lancer or similar) for a total of $170.95 for 6 days. No coverage included... I usually use the credit card insurance but even if you add coverage its still cheaper than the $254.74 Alamo has for their intermediate car with their deal. Warning... do not neglect to get coverage if you intend on letting others drive the vehicle :rofl:

**Edit** Thrifty also has a midsize for $160.95 (6days) on priceline 6 days. reserving that one too.

Jao
08-09-2013, 02:34 AM
Thanks for sharing Jao.

Priceline is a great look also for those who like to rent. I've done priceline every single trip and it works great as a baseline and you can negotiate from there if you want a better vehicle than what you've reserved and helps to ensure they don't overcharge you. I usually make 4-5 different reservations at POP via priceline in case one of them acts up. Just did some comparison with priceline and looks like I can still get a better deal through priceline. I just reserved a "Mid-Sized Car" (Mitsubishi Lancer or similar) for a total of $170.95 for 6 days. No coverage included... I usually use the credit card insurance but even if you add coverage its still cheaper than the $254.74 Alamo has for their intermediate car with their deal. Warning... do not neglect to get coverage if you intend on letting others drive the vehicle :rofl:

**Edit** Thrifty also has a midsize for $160.95 (6days) on priceline 6 days. reserving that one too.

Thanks.

Rate for a one week rental for the Nissan Versa at the Santo Domingo Airport in August is $142 for Alamo using Alamo's 20% off coupon code (Third Party Liability Insurance will make this go higher as will the optional glass/tire insurance). With the Third Party Liability Insurance and the Tire/Glass Insurance, the total rate for the Nissan Versa rented at the Santo Domingo Airport for one week in August is about $36 per day.

Some of the Jetblue flights arrive at around 4am into SDQ airport, I have rented from Alamo at that hour. Alamo is open 24/7 at the Santo Domingo Airport.

Save all receipts from the rental and print out the reservation with the price and bring it to DR. Avis customer service in the US was very good at correcting any billing problems after some of my first rentals with them in the Dom Rep. Hertz was excellent in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

My first time driving in the DR, I drove a mitsubishi car rented from Avis from SDQ to Sosua (exited SDQ airport around 5pm arrived to Sosua around midnight, first time driving in Dom Rep, first time entering Santo Domingo and first time visiting the north coast, I was not planning to drive that trip).

Nowadays guys can look at google maps before a trip, or have GPS or look at youtube videos, or get advice from guys on this site. I barely spoke Spanish and had not looked at a map before driving for the first time in DR (at night).

Jao
08-09-2013, 02:48 AM

From Alamo's website:

"Third Party Liability (Mandatory if CDW-TP is declined)

Third Party Liabiliy (TPL) is included in Collision Damage Waiver-Theft Protection.

TPL provides you with minimum financial responsibility limits as outlined in the applicable motor vehicle financial responsibility laws of the country where the vehicle is operated.

TPL provides liability coverage up to 500,000 DOP (approximately $17,250 USD) per person and a maximum total of 1,000,000 DOP (approximately $34,500 USD). Property damage is limited to a maximum total of 500,000 DOP (approximately $17,250 USD)."

I have not had to make use of any car insurance.

blazaveli
08-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Go a week later and its $250 plus :confused::confused: for the same vehicle. Why are they changing their rates for later dates??

Thanks.

Rate for a one week rental for the Nissan Versa at the Santo Domingo Airport in August is $142 for Alamo using Alamo's 20% off coupon code (Third Party Liability Insurance will make this go higher as will the optional glass/tire insurance). With the Third Party Liability Insurance and the Tire/Glass Insurance, the total rate for the Nissan Versa rented at the Santo Domingo Airport for one week in August is about $36 per day.

Some of the Jetblue flights arrive at around 4am into SDQ airport, I have rented from Alamo at that hour. Alamo is open 24/7 at the Santo Domingo Airport.

Save all receipts from the rental and print out the reservation with the price and bring it to DR. Avis customer service in the US was very good at correcting any billing problems after some of my first rentals with them in the Dom Rep. Hertz was excellent in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

My first time driving in the DR, I drove a mitsubishi car rented from Avis from SDQ to Sosua (exited SDQ airport around 5pm arrived to Sosua around midnight, first time driving in Dom Rep, first time entering Santo Domingo and first time visiting the north coast, I was not planning to drive that trip).

Nowadays guys can look at google maps before a trip, or have GPS or look at youtube videos, or get advice from guys on this site. I barely spoke Spanish and had not looked at a map before driving for the first time in DR (at night).

Jao
08-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Go a week later and its $250 plus :confused::confused: for the same vehicle. Why are they changing their rates for later dates??

From Alamo's webpage, for a one week rental last week in August 2013, picking up the rental from their main office in Santo Domingo, price is $126 for the Nissan Versa (the $9US per day Third Party Liability Insurance will bump up the price) about $27US per day with the insurance included in this rate;

https://www.alamo.com/content/dam/global-vehicle-images/lac/lac-nissan-versa-330x190-angle.png/_jcr_content/renditions/cq5dam.thumbnail.140.56.png
Intermediate Automatic

Nissan Versa 1.8 (or similar)

Total Savings:

YOU PAY

(Total: USD126.92) https://www.alamo.com/etc/designs/alamo/jcr%3acontent/questionIcon/imagePath.img.png/1345822883160.png

Jao
08-10-2013, 11:21 AM

For September 2013, with Alamo I found a price for a one week rental for the Chevrolet Spark getting the car in Santiago (Avenida Juan Pablo Duarte), for $113 and for the Nissan Versa picking the car up in Santiago (Avenida Juan Pablo Duarte) for $148.

Thanks for your post. Prices can vary.

I check prices using the coupon code from BJs Travel Site with Alamo and National (same cars in the DR) as well the 20% off coupon code Alamo.

Jao
08-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Frankincense is burned in some catholic churches. Diffuser and reusable pads to use with 100% pure oils for the car and home. Numerous 100% natural pure oils available, 5-6 drops placed on a pad and then into a diffuser which gets plugged into the cars cigarette lighter outlet, will give that scent. Room diffusers that plug into an electric wall receptacle can also be purchased. Some companies make blends of various oils. Available on amazon and other sites. Pics from amazon.

Jao
08-10-2013, 05:55 PM
For Haiti, Avis and Hertz have offices in Haiti. A road near the Sea in Port-au-Prince is called Boulevard Harry Truman.

A guy in this Haitian music video is wearing an Avis shirt;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tafpTC31730

Happyhorn
08-11-2013, 08:57 AM
How did you score a new car? The last time I rented in Sosua, I got a good price but ended up with an old Galant with 77K on the odometer.

blazaveli
08-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Where in Sosua are you renting from? I only rent at the airport and first I tell them I want a new(er) car and I ALWAYS make them show me the car before I make a deal. I never a expect a brand spanking new car but I always get something good. Just like the chicas you have to realize you have options. Once money starts walking a way they usually start making things happen. Not sure the second part of that logic applies to chicas though jajajaja

This makes the process longer but I'm happy with the end result.

How did you score a new car? The last time I rented in Sosua, I got a good price but ended up with an old Galant with 77K on the odometer.

Jao
08-11-2013, 01:20 PM

The car is waiting with the air conditioning blasting. As Blazaveli stated a little generosity can go a long way.

Generally makes sense to rent at the airport to save on the taxi fare to and from the airport.

If you make multiple trips and rent from the same company, you can get a contact number and call before a trip and hopefully they can arrange to have a newer car for you.

I gave the alamo chica at POP a small apple mp3 player (the little square 1 inch by 1 inch one, the shuffle?, over 6 years ago) bought it refurbished online.

I usually freeze a bag of Hershey miniature chocolates before a trip, the workers will usually get some of those chocolates (freezing keeps them from being a melted mess by the time I get to my hotel room).

T-shirts bought online for under $5US per shirt can be used as gifts. Guy workers are oftentimes married, so even giving them a female t-shirt from Aeropostale they can take it home and give to their wife or GF.

If you rent and will be returning at an odd hour, make sure you know of a gas station where you can fill up the car before returning the rental. Near SDQ Texaco and Isla are open 24/7 (Also the Shell near the turn for Boca Chica I believe is open 24/7). I get out and stretch when I get the gasoline and the worker will point to the pump to show that he is starting at zero.

SrSuerte
08-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Good to hear that they really honor the deals that you find online. I would hate if they would change up on me once I am at the counter.

Jao
08-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Good to hear that they really honor the deals that you find online. I would hate if they would change up on me once I am at the counter.

With Alamo (National) it has never happened. Always get charged whats on the reservation, no over charges. Any billing problems once you return to the states call the corporate office and they will straighten it out.

I make the reservation online at least 24 hours before arrival and print out the reservation with the price and bring that with me.

bailar
08-12-2013, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=blazaveli;1244230]Thanks for sharing Jao.

What kind of a crazy fool would do that?

Jao
08-12-2013, 12:41 PM

I like Alamo (National), I know exactly what I will be paying, with glass/tire insurance and third party liability insurance, before the trip. The price I get online before the trip is what gets charged to my credit card. I can choose glass/tire insurance at alamo's website and also know that I will have coverage for personal injuries and property damage to Third Parties.

Not having coverage for personal injuries to third parties is playing with fire, no matter who drives the car.

I have had chicas drive the rental, no harm, no foul.

Jao
08-12-2013, 02:05 PM

The guy getting head in the rental.

bailar
08-12-2013, 02:24 PM
The guy getting head in the rental.

Believe me, I know exactly what you are talking about.......I was being sarcastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki8erxy_VJc

Jao
08-12-2013, 02:30 PM

if you intend on letting others drive the vehicle :rofl:

The amiga driving the rental and the location.

Jao
08-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Believe me, I know exactly what you are talking about

Cute chica in your video, thanks. Rincon Beach in Samana, very nice.

trEPP33
08-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the code and information. Very helpful.

thunderstar
08-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Casa Del Conductor - just to confirm - do you have to ask for this to be added?
If so - how much extra does this cost? ( rough idea )

Also - just to confirm - what exactly does this cover?

Jao
08-23-2013, 10:10 AM

Alamo/National doesn't offer casa de conductor, at least the last time I asked. Hertz someone once posted may offer casa de conductor, but I read one bad review of hertz in the Dom Rep and when I checked prices at hertz's website for the DR, it seemed to say that prices would be confirmed at the counter. With Alamo/National the reserved price online is what I pay.

I posted above what Alamo/National covers for their $9US per day third party coverage.

If a drunk driver causes an accident in the Dom Rep and someone gets seriously injured that driver will probably get detained by the police (same in the US). If a driver doesn't have insurance to cover personal injuries after an accident, that driver will also probably get detained.

My advice, don't rent from a fly by night operation that may not have proper insurance for the vehicle.

There are insurance brokers and insurance companies that cover just about everything in the Dominican Republic.

MrHappy
08-23-2013, 10:26 AM

Any vehicle that is on the road should already have it's insurance in place. Casa de Conductor has to be purchased at the time the insurance policy is purchased, and the cost is 2000 pesos per year. I don't believe it can be "added on" for a short period of time (like a rental).

If somebody is paying for casa de conductor, they are more than likely reimbursing the vehicle owner for their initial cash outlay.

BTW, casa de conductor is for the Distrito Nacional (Santo Domingo). If you have an accident in a small town, you'll have to go to the local police station to get a police report. You can't do it later at Casa de Conductor.

You can, however, take your police report to your insurance representative at Casa de Conductor afterwards.

Jao
01-13-2014, 06:43 PM
About $32US per day for a Chevrolet Spark, (for a weekly rental, price includes all taxes and fees and tire/glass insurance and third party liability insurance), when using a Mastercard Credit Card (provides some coverage) and being an Alamo or National member (free to join) and using a $20US off coupon code from the American Casino Guide; http://www.americancasinoguide.com/alamo.pdf

Alamo and National are partners and use the same cars and probably some of the same employees in the Dominican Republic (Avis and Budget are also partners and might use the same employees or cars in the Dominican Republic).

National coupon codes (some work in the DR); http://www.americancasinoguide.com/national.pdf , https://www.nationalcar.com/index.do?action=/hotDealsTemplate&msg=ZL_BJVacations_splash

BJ's has coupon codes for several car rental companies; http://travel.bjs.com/car-rentals/