PDA

View Full Version : My bout with Dengue

El-Rey
08-31-2013, 09:22 AM
This is still ongoing but I will post my experience with this deadly disease...

Dengue fever (UK /ˈdɛŋɡeɪ/ or US /ˈdɛŋɡiː/), also known as breakbone fever, is an infectious tropical disease caused by the dengue virus. Symptoms include fever, headache, muscle and joint pains, and a characteristic skin rash that is similar to measles. In a small proportion of cases the disease develops into the life-threatening dengue hemorrhagic fever, resulting in bleeding, low levels of blood platelets and blood plasma leakage, or into dengue shock syndrome, where dangerously low blood pressure occurs.

Dengue is transmitted by several species of mosquito within the genus Aedes, principally A. aegypti. The virus has four different types; infection with one type usually gives lifelong immunity to that type, but only short-term immunity to the others. Subsequent infection with a different type increases the risk of severe complications. As there is no commercially available vaccine, prevention is sought by reducing the habitat and the number of mosquitoes and limiting exposure to bites.

Treatment of acute dengue is supportive, using either oral or intravenous rehydration for mild or moderate disease, and intravenous fluids and blood transfusion for more severe cases. The incidence of dengue fever has increased dramatically since the 1960s, with around 50–100 million people infected yearly. Early descriptions of the condition date from 1779, and its viral cause and the transmission were elucidated in the early 20th century. Dengue has become a global problem since the Second World War and is endemic in more than 110 countries. Apart from eliminating the mosquitoes, work is ongoing on a vaccine, as well as medication targeted directly at the virus.

El-Rey
08-31-2013, 09:34 AM
In the black corner at 5' 11" and 210lbs - El Rey in the Blue corner at .6 inches and 2.5 milligrams the Dengue mosquito...

Not much of a match right?

Well the other night I was in Santiago with a few lady friends and we just hung out for a while hitting a few spots and drinking. Nothing abnormal. The next morning I woke up feeling like I was just ran over by a truck twice. I figured I was getting the onset of the flu and just downed some OJ and decided to head back to Sosua to nurse myself back to normal fast.
On the drive back I was hit with an intense fever and and urge to vomit every time I opened my mouth. I made it back and passed out with some meds figuring I would be better in a day or two.
I don't get sick often but when I do my body pretty much reminds me of all the fun I had when I wasn't sick. I call it the Reset button. Well the next day the queen is nursing me and she is trying to figure out WHY my fever has not gone away for at least a few hours. The fever was intense and never actually went away. Bad headache, nausea and the aka break bone fever is real as it gets. I felt as if my bones were breaking with each movement.

I kept in pain and figured Im just getting hit hard by the flu bug, Ill be better soon. By day 3 it was evident I was getting worse. Now I have never had an injury or sickness where I got WORSE so this was new to me. Trying to force feed myself and not vomit was a challenge.. No matter how much I held back I would eventually lose the battle to not throw up. I would vomit at least twice a day.

The pain in my body would not cease and it was like I forgot I was in this terrible car accident because I couldn't figure out why I was in so much pain.

After the queen watched me for two days suffer in agony her and her mother forced me to the hospital. I gave in after vomiting for a straight 3minutes...

El-Rey
08-31-2013, 09:46 AM
Day 1 in the hospital in montellano

I walk in and immediately the doctor can see I am dehydrated. He orders an IV before even doing an exam as he can tell I am torn down by something. As time goes on they do the proper test and admit me all the while feeling it is dengue.
Im a pretty decent sized dude even when Im not in the gym and this shit crippled my big ass down to nothing. I don't fear death but if this is the shit that comes before it? Count me out. No one should suffer like this.
Im given meds and painkillers and a whole cocktail of drugs to ease my pain. The first day is bad as I am in so much pain the drugs work for all of two hours. The next day they tell me its confirmed and I indeed have dengue. Now I have to take a course of action to get better and it will be a long and tough road. Im still dealing with terrible nausea and in one night I vomit 8 times.. Yes 8... Im in pain and at a loss.. What happened to say your prayers and eat your vitamins? Thanx Hogan that shit is right out the window. :mad:

Mamma liz aint raise no quitter but Im ready to tap out. Its so bad the queen is in tears every time I raise my head because im back to vomiting each time. She is worried as it was made clear many people die from this disease. Or "Banana country disease" as my doctor called it.

Next day the doc gets me straight and ups my meds as well as a special pill for nausea and vomiting of which I cherish like gold. No more fever, Not as much pain but with no vomiting I can function normally. My hands and feet feel like someone tied a rubberband and stopped the blood flow. Kind of like pins and needles.

Im doing 100 times better than I was but still only at about 75% of me. This is a very dangerous disease and the pain and suffering you receive from this small mosquito bite is amazing.

Still trying to fight the good fight.. Keep you posted.

ezsmile
08-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Hope you recover soon. I have read that Dengue becomes even more dangerous if you happen to contract it again. You're going to have to be careful!

BrooklynBeas
08-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Hope you recover soon. I have read that Dengue becomes even more dangerous if you happen to contract it again. You're going to have to be careful!

How do you be more careful... There are mosquitos everywhere in DR... All I can think of is don't roll around in the woods with your preferred chica... El Rey, glad to hear you are doing better, and hopefully back to normal again soon!

WSJ3_Sith_Lord
08-31-2013, 10:35 AM
Feel better I would wish that type of suffering on anyone.

hugrad95a
08-31-2013, 10:37 AM
Damn homie

Hunter
08-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Do you know exactly where and when you got bit?

Pac-Man
08-31-2013, 10:42 AM
How do you be more careful... There are mosquitos everywhere in DR...

First off, get well homie. 2nd, I was very surprised on my trip that I suffered absolutely no bites. I fully expected an onslaught, but no bites or bumrushing my ears. Maybe my velcro like hairiness kept them at bay. ROUSes were a different story.

camaro1257
08-31-2013, 10:45 AM
...feel better hermano!http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/images/posticons/thumbup.gif

BlueDevil
08-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Get well soon...

DMV
08-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Woww scary. I hope you get better soon.

jose1234
08-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Glad to hear you got through most of it. Hope you recover quickly from now... Thanks for letting us know what happened. Our sympathy for what you have gone through.

BigLongBeach
08-31-2013, 11:59 AM
get better soon, THANK YOU for sharing. I hope everyone else makes notes about the symptoms and potential of this sickness. Most of us like el rey, and myself will shake it off believing it is just the flu then bam you out for weeks.

Every travel should know what hospital, and medical options in any country you go to.

Seville
08-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Day 1 in the hospital in montellano

What hospital in Montellano? You talking about the public clinic there? Do they even have a pivate clinic there? If you went to the public clinic then the Dengue fever was probably the least of your worries. I've seen first hand some of the work the public clinic has done. It wasn't pretty.

JD426
08-31-2013, 12:31 PM
Get well soon... Sorry to hear this happened to you.

sonrisa
08-31-2013, 02:38 PM
What hospital in Montellano? You talking about the public clinic there? Do they even have a pivate clinic there? If you went to the public clinic then the Dengue fever was probably the least of your worries. I've seen first hand some of the work the public clinic has done. It wasn't pretty.

Montellano appears too small to have a hospital and, as Robert is pointing out, going to a public clinic may increase the problems instead of solving them. However, you obviously found help somewhere and received the hydration and other support therapy you needed and are getting better. Sorry to hear of your troubles. With those little mosquitos always nibbling at my ankles I do have an occasional worry about coming down with dengue. Which brings up the next obvious question? Where would I go to get help? Since I usually stay in Sosua, I assume I would go to CMC Cllinic/Hospital. Would that be the right choice? I often drive past the Puerto Plata hospital on the Circumvencion and the CMC Clinic looks a whole lot cleaner and welcoming that the POP hospital. However, perhaps that hospital has more resources. So for dengue and perhaps a few other problems, where do ISOC members go and/or suggest to go for assistance?

el_papi_chew_low
08-31-2013, 04:04 PM
This is still ongoing but I will post my experience with this deadly disease...

Hope you get better soon!!

Sandcobra
08-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your illness. Get Well soon champ!

DCIronman
08-31-2013, 05:29 PM
Note to self: Pack a shitload of OFF spray my next trip to the DR.

Apos
08-31-2013, 05:44 PM
I know many people that have caught Dengue fever in the DR, residents, expats, locals and tourists. Most ended up in the hospital and all had a rough go of it. Hope you're feeling better soon but take care, it can fake you out and come back with a vengeance if you exert yourself too much too soon. Stay hydrated and take all the meds you've been given.

So far I've been lucky and have avoided it. Whenever the mosquitos start biting regardless of the time of day I change into long pants with socks. I'm rarely if ever bothered at the beach though....thankfully. :wink::lol: If it's cool out I'll also wear a long sleeved shirt. I rarely get bit in the day anyway but later afternoon, early evening it can get nasty. Everyday after the beach, assuming good weather, I'm also in long pants and socks. It's not foolproof but it does eliminate a large window of opportunity for the little fuckers.:p

Definitely use insect repellant. Some swear by "Off", others Muskol, Anything with DEET, Avon, etc...I found rubbing fresh lime works as a repellent and takes the sting out if I get bit before putting some on. Whatever you choose use something.

Note to self: Pack a shitload of OFF spray my next trip to the DR.

Rubicon
08-31-2013, 06:05 PM
As others have said, I hope things work out for you, although my understanding is that it will take some. I have never had to get tested for STD's after any of my escapades but, twice, I've been tested for dengue after my return from the DR. I wish you well and I certainly hope it doesn't cause you any lingering issues.

eldorob
08-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Since I usually stay in Sosua, I assume I would go to CMC Cllinic/Hospital. Would that be the right choice? I often drive past the Puerto Plata hospital on the Circumvencion and the CMC Clinic looks a whole lot cleaner and welcoming that the POP hospital. However, perhaps that hospital has more resources. ? I would definitely go to CMC. Got stitches there once and was quite pleased. Here's a pic of Robert getting a sonogram at CMC. ElRey, you home now? Good luck. http://www.cabaretemedicalcenter.com/content/wp-content/gallery/imaging/cmc-30.jpghttp://www.cabaretemedicalcenter.com/hospital-services

mistertonite
08-31-2013, 08:08 PM
Glad you feeling better my friend. Taking care of your health I believe is the most important thing you need to do.

BrooklynBeas
08-31-2013, 08:18 PM
Glad you feeling better my friend. Taking care of your health I believe is the most important thing you need to do.

Yes, but if I know El Rey, he is being that great host that he is, in Santiago for his Labor Day weekend blast...

ROVER
08-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Sorry to hear this. Hold the course as this too will pass.

questner
08-31-2013, 11:02 PM
Wish you well!
When your condition is stable, think of taking all lab results and fly home to recuperate.

Sidney
09-01-2013, 09:30 AM
He is a big, stong guy, an ex-coach. This happened a couple of weeks before El-Rey. All seems the same, as he described to me.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Choirboy
09-01-2013, 09:15 PM
He is a big, stong guy, an ex-coach. This happened a couple of weeks before El-Rey. All seems the same, as he described to me.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

That would be Tom. He is staying at the Palms so he definitely was bitten in Sosua. His description pretty much mirrors El-Rey's except his hands and feet became red and swollen also because his kidneys were affected. Sounds like once you get it, it's going to be a nasty road to recovery and I was told by a nurse practitioner who got it in Australia that you never quite get over it totally and many have recurring bouts of back pain.

Mr. Smooth
09-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Yes, but if I know El Rey, he is being that great host that he is, in Santiago for his Labor Day weekend blast...

Is he really? When I read this thread that was the first thing that came to mind, after hoping he gets over it of course. I see Robert posted a question in that Santiago thread asking about the fiesta. El Rey's bad timing with coming down with this may have prevented him from hosting that gig.

Always other days for those things. One's health is the most important thing you need to watch out for.

Btw...I also stayed at the Palms and whenever I got out of the pool, I couldn't sit in one of those pool chairs for too long cause the little bastards were all hovering around, nipping at my feet and ankles, my sides. Never considered the chances of getting dengue fever, just thought they were a bunch of pests. I probably have enough flab to prevent their little stingers from drilling into a major vein to cause any damage anyway.

Get better El Rey. Stay tough.

Skynyrd
09-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Hope you are 100% now, I hate to think of you down there with all that sudsy and too sick to fuck:rofl:

Gutter Meat
09-02-2013, 02:06 AM
From Sosua news:

MAYOR ORDERS TO FIGHT DENGUE MOSQUITO

Mayor Ilana Neumann ordered to use Insecticides extensively to combat the mosquito that spreads dengue. The spray team is doing it's job in the neighborhoods and hamlets Sosúa Abajo, Karen Villa, Los Castillos and Villa Paraíso. It's a precaution, because so far there are only a very few known cases of dengue infections in these neighborhoods. Furthermore, leaflets have been distributed with information how to prevent mosquito bites, thus preventing dengue.

The mosquito bites at daytime and this can be prevented with a simple mosquito spray that also works against the common mosquito. In addition, the mayor also ordered the construction of street lighting in the neighborhoods Camino Llibre, La Unión and Cangrejos. Furthermore, the sidewalks in the district Cangrejos been finished and also the pot holes in the roads have been filled with tarmac.
Source and photos: Félix Corona
(Spokesman of the town hall)
Street lighting

Road repairs

Rubicon
09-02-2013, 05:31 AM
Son...of...a...bitch! You mean to tell me El Rey contracts dengue and the mayor calls for a fight against the disease. Wouldn't believe it if I hadn't read it with my own eyes. You ain't tappin' that too, are you Rey? :corky:

(Couldn't help myself.)

MrHappy
09-02-2013, 08:11 AM
I've been through Dengue twice here, and El Rey isn't exaggerating one iota. You wish you would die when you get that shit. I wouldn't wish it on an enemy.

One little factoid for you guys.. The mosquito that carries the Dengue virus only bites during the day. It is not a nocturnal mosquito.

So rest assured, the ones that bite you at night? They only itch, thank goodness.

El-Rey
09-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Im doing much better thank you all and for the record I STAY covered in Off spray.. Not sure how this happened. I get bit all the time so I make sure to cover myself in repellent. Im not 100% and from what Ive read and been told I wont be for a few weeks.

SeaWeed
09-02-2013, 08:55 AM
glad you doing okay.........
sounds like Denue is the Caribbean version of Lyme Disease(though from ticks) here in the states........

BigLongBeach
09-02-2013, 10:40 AM
kinda but not really, my friend got lyme disease but she didnt know for months until she fainted and her heart stopped. It's the type of thing you might not know you have for months but dengue you will know the next day. but your right in spirit, such a small thing can kill you with a bite

glad you doing okay.........
sounds like Denue is the Caribbean version of Lyme Disease(though from ticks) here in the states........

ROVER
09-08-2013, 07:09 AM
From Dominican Today

Health authorities say dengue death toll up

http://www.dominicantoday.com/image/article/16/209x400/0/EC32DD04-7C3B-4A58-9BB9-046753BC88C7.jpeg
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/img/bits/blue-round-more.gifZoom Picture

Santo Domingo.– The death toll from dengue fever in the country has risen to 59 this year so far, according to figures from the Health Ministry.
Dengue fever has mostly affected the northern, central and southern regions including Santo Domingo, where 76 per cent of the cases were reported in August.

The Health Ministry said a total of 8,704 dengue cases have been registered in 2013. Last week alone, three deaths and 602 cases of infection were reported. One of the fatal victims was a three-year-old boy from eastern Santo Domingo.

mistertonite
09-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Just goes to show you how vulnerable we are towards these microbes. Shit...we are not rulers of this world. A deadly bacteria or virus can easily bring humanity to its knees.

XXX
09-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Im doing much better thank you all and for the record I STAY covered in Off spray.. Not sure how this happened. I get bit all the time so I make sure to cover myself in repellent. Im not 100% and from what Ive read and been told I wont be for a few weeks.

You are handling it good man, because I wouldn't have even known you were sick when I saw you,,,
it was great hanging with you a bit at Rumba and Monfongo,,,,
and remember ,,,the Chica I grabbed that night was the "TRUE" definition of Flaca,,,:rofl: :rofl:,,,of which me you and Blaz had that in depth discussion about,,:wink:

Continue to get better ,,,,

X

DMV
09-09-2013, 11:21 AM
You are handling it good man, because I wouldn't have even known you were sick when I saw you,,,
it was great hanging with you a bit at Rumba and Monfongo,,,,
and remember ,,,the Chica I grabbed that night was the "TRUE" definition of Flaca,,,:rofl: :rofl:,,,of which me you and Blaz had that in depth discussion about,,:wink:

Continue to get better ,,,,

X

Was it the one with the flower print pants from Rumba?

XXX
09-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Was it the one with the flower print pants from Rumba?

No,,,
although she was on the short list, but she kept disappearing, and like G said, she wanted guys to chase her,,I didn't have time for that,,,:wink:

Not sure if you remember the one with the tube top and black pants with the lace on the side that kept lookin over,,,bout 5'3", 98lbs,,,,,I told her my little momma was at school for a couple hours, and that I could only take her for ST,,
I threw 1200 at her, and she smiled and she no problema, ,,,

I had to call Wicked Willie(who I was supposed to meet at Mojitos in Caberete) and appologize,for letting my other brain take over,,,:rofl:

it was nice meeting you D,,,,

X