PDA

View Full Version : 12/2013 - Some good values in Sosua

Seville
12-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Britannia restaurant has a daily "After 4 PM" special. Today when I stopped in the special was wicked wings for 99 pesos. Of course my fat ass got two orders of them. I was eating to fast to count them but there were a lot of them for 198 pesos. They were seasoned a little spicy and without sauce. They were good sized wings and probably the best I have had here. I had trouble finishing all of them.

Schlumerstube (or whatever the fuck it is called, next to Bar Central) has a 1/2 roast chicken with fries for 200 pesos. Tough to beat that for a quick, inexpensive meal.

I realize that most of the vacation guys don't really give a shit what they are spending on food, and rightly so, but some long-term visitors might be interested.

BrooklynBeas
12-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Britannia restaurant has a daily "After 4 PM" special. Today when I stopped in the special was wicked wings for 99 pesos. Of course my fat ass got two orders of them. I was eating to fast to count them but there were a lot of them for 198 pesos. They were seasoned a little spicy and without sauce. They were good sized wings and probably the best I have had here. I had trouble finishing all of them.

Schlumerstube (or whatever the fuck it is called, next to Bar Central) has a 1/2 roast chicken with fries for 200 pesos. Tough to beat that for a quick, inexpensive meal.

I realize that most of the vacation guys don't really give a shit what they are spending on food, and rightly so, but some long-term visitors might be interested.

Not true at all, I love a good deal... May not say "NO" if I really want something, especially being that i'm on vacation and never have a fixed budget.. (Just a, I hope I stay within this range type thing, doesn't happen oh well), type of budget... lol

If something is good in value and taste, chicas included, I am all in!

:)

Is the Schlemastube style hamburger still 60 pesos? (the one that sits in the display on the front bar counter)... It's always a good snack and very tasty... I usually will get it if I pass by and it's early in the afternoon... Once it hits 2pm or later, give or take, I will pass by it without a thought... Don't trust cooked meat just sitting on the counter for a while in the heat...

jimrock187
12-04-2013, 08:48 PM
I cant eat much at those places on the strip. I eat 2 meals a day. Lunch at Baileys and dinner at Bologna.

JD426
12-04-2013, 11:08 PM

Oh good lord...
:rofl::rofl:

hey I got a way for you to NEVER forget how to spell it
Everyone is familiar with HAMMACHER SCHLEMMER ??? Yes ?

well , same word, with a STUBE at the end... which means like a Place or Room which serves Alcohol,, specifially Beer
Like a BEER STUBE ... spelled BIERSTUBE..

Their Schnitzel sandwich is really good too ...

questner
12-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Schlemmer Stube means 'gourmet farmhouse kitchen' :drool:

deezl
12-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Schlemmer Stube means 'gourmet farmhouse kitchen' :drool:

there's a word in german for 'gourmet'?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

JD426
12-05-2013, 02:47 PM
there's a word in german for 'gourmet'?

:guns::321::rofl::rofl:

Seville
12-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Oh good lord...
:rofl::rofl:

hey I got a way for you to NEVER forget how to spell it
Everyone is familiar with HAMMACHER SCHLEMMER ??? Yes ?

well , same word, with a STUBE at the end... which means like a Place or Room which serves Alcohol,, specifially Beer
Like a BEER STUBE ... spelled BIERSTUBE..

I really don't give a shit how it is spelled or pronounced. As long as they have some decent prices on some decent food I'll stop in there.:lol:

BrooklynBeas
12-05-2013, 05:51 PM
I really don't give a shit how it is spelled or pronounced. As long as they have some decent prices on some decent food I'll stop in there.:lol:

True... They also have some very good chicken noodle soup for about 150 pesos for a big bowl... Just not too often its cool enough in Sosua for me to eat soup outdoors, but sometimes a couple rainy breezy nights, it works out well...

Mr. Smooth
12-06-2013, 06:04 AM
The one quality about Sosua that has always impressed me unlike any other, is the incredible choice of food that is available there and the overall very reasonable cost for a meal. Considering the small geographic area and population, I have always found it amazing at the variety of great food that is in Sosua

We all have had our say about the chicas (good, bad, or indifferent) price of P4P, rising cost of drinks, the political situation, the corrupt cops and lawyers, the scammers, the idiot motos, the expensive taxi rides to and from the airport, the unsettled beach redevelopment, etc.

I think we all agree about all the problems that plague Sosua. But, you gotta admit, the choice and quality of the food ain't one of them! In 13 visits over 7 years, I have yet to have a bad meal. German, italian, bbq, fish, late night sandwiches from the gut trucks, desserts and the various breakfasts available all over, when all else might be lacking, you are sure to enjoy a tasty and satisfying meal no matter which direction you go.

Some of those chicas aren't the only ones with serious skills. There are some pretty good cooks in that town too!

praguealchemist
12-06-2013, 09:30 AM
The one quality about Sosua that has always impressed me unlike any other, is the incredible choice of food that is available there and the overall very reasonable cost for a meal. Considering the small geographic area and population, I have always found it amazing at the variety of great food that is in Sosua

We all have had our say about the chicas (good, bad, or indifferent) price of P4P, rising cost of drinks, the political situation, the corrupt cops and lawyers, the scammers, the idiot motos, the expensive taxi rides to and from the airport, the unsettled beach redevelopment, etc.

I think we all agree about all the problems that plague Sosua. But, you gotta admit, the choice and quality of the food ain't one of them! In 13 visits over 7 years, I have yet to have a bad meal. German, italian, bbq, fish, late night sandwiches from the gut trucks, desserts and the various breakfasts available all over, when all else might be lacking, you are sure to enjoy a tasty and satisfying meal no matter which direction you go.

Some of those chicas aren't the only ones with serious skills. There are some pretty good cooks in that town too!

I believe a great place for a late night meal or snack is Tony Yaroa food truck located on the main road (careterra). It is located on the same side of the street as the texaco, but across the street that leads to Rockys and all the bars. It is about 200 meters from the texaco in the direction of cabarete. It stays open until 2 am and when I was there last night at about 11, it was packed with dominicans eating like it was their last meal. The police were there eating as well and all looked like they were loving it. I love their hot dogs and burritos. I had a 60 pesos hot dog that was very filling because they put so much on it to include freshly ground cheese, he actually grinds a piece of cheese in front of you that goes straight on the dog and alot of cooked cabbage (atleast it looked like cooked cabbage) and other stuff that made it takes real good. The bun was steamy soft and fresh as well and for 60 pesos I was full and Im a big guy. The portions there are great and the taste as well so I hope you can enjoy it as I do.

Nakom
12-06-2013, 01:37 PM
I believe a great place for a late night meal or snack is Tony Yaroa food truck located on the main road (careterra). It is located on the same side of the street as the texaco, but across the street that leads to Rockys and all the bars. It is about 200 meters from the texaco in the direction of cabarete. It stays open until 2 am and when I was there last night at about 11, it was packed with dominicans eating like it was their last meal. The police were there eating as well and all looked like they were loving it. I love their hot dogs and burritos. I had a 60 pesos hot dog that was very filling because they put so much on it to include freshly ground cheese, he actually grinds a piece of cheese in front of you that goes straight on the dog and alot of cooked cabbage (atleast it looked like cooked cabbage) and other stuff that made it takes real good. The bun was steamy soft and fresh as well and for 60 pesos I was full and Im a big guy. The portions there are great and the taste as well so I hope you can enjoy it as I do.

I have eaten so many of the ham & shreeded chicken toasted sandwiches there it is ridiculous...... and it is open later than 2 AM most nights.

balcoach
12-06-2013, 05:27 PM
I have eaten so many of the ham & shreeded chicken toasted sandwiches there it is ridiculous...... and it is open later than 2 AM most nights.

Nakom, you might be referring to "taco bell" as it is affectionately known as by many, which is on the corner there and is open literally all night. Best 50 peso sandwich, burrito, or what ever you like at 3-4 AM.

Tony Yaroa is a bit further down the road and is an actual food truck....

None the less, they both fill their role for late night 3rd meal!

Seville
12-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Finally made it to Rancho Tipico for breakfast this morning around 11:30 AM.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=92401&d=1388333801

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=92402&d=1388333825

Two eggs, two slices of bacon, two slices of ham, two pieces of toast, one fresh roll, fruit and coffee (it also includes a slice of cheese, which I declined). Free refill on the coffee.....100 pesos. For the money easily the best breakfast deal in Sosua but he can't possibly be making a profit on it. There is good wi-fi there as well; since I know the tourists can't be without Wi-fi for more than 10 minutes at a time.:rofl::rofl:

Pac-Man
12-29-2013, 01:09 PM
since I know the tourists can't be without Wi-fi for more than 10 minutes at a time.:rofl::rofl:

If you wanna say Pac-man just come right out and say it.

jose1234
12-29-2013, 02:23 PM
If you wanna say Pac-man just come right out and say it.

Your not alone...sometimes we see guys here with hot chicas walking by with little clothing on and guys have their face in the internet...all afternoon...sometimes the chicas and friends are sitting right next to them... LOL The younger generation of guys under 35 get very upset if they don't have internet constantly... This is a separate topic of conversation/thread though...

sopranostingray
12-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Finally made it to Rancho Tipico for breakfast this morning around 11:30 AM.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=92401&d=1388333801)

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=92402&d=1388333825)

Two eggs, two slices of bacon, two slices of ham, two pieces of toast, one fresh roll, fruit and coffee (it also includes a slice of cheese, which I declined). Free refill on the coffee.....100 pesos. For the money easily the best breakfast deal in Sosua but he can't possibly be making a profit on it. There is good wi-fi there as well; since I know the tourists can't be without Wi-fi for more than 10 minutes at a time.:rofl::rofl:

Just those packets of butter and jam cost a small fortune and coffee isn't cheap anymore either. Good value for the customers, but he's losing money big time.

MrHappy
12-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Just those packets of butter and jam cost a small fortune and coffee isn't cheap anymore either. Good value for the customers, but he's losing money big time.

If that isn't a loss leader, I don't know what is.

Jimmydr
12-29-2013, 07:46 PM
If that isn't a loss leader, I don't know what is.

Without butter or Jam, I sure ain't having breakfast in that place.

Jimmydr
12-29-2013, 07:47 PM

$3 for breakfast which may cost under a dollar in materials.

MrHappy
12-29-2013, 08:18 PM

It's not 3 dollars, it's $2.35

JD426
12-29-2013, 08:38 PM
It's not 3 dollars, it's $2.35

I was in for a SHOCK the other day... Dunkin fucking Donuts just raised their Prices just days ago..

I paid OVER $3.. $ 3.24 with tax I think it was, for 1 MED Coffee, and 1 French CRULLER (and I SWEAR I think they are making them SMALLER, its like 2 bites , done )
they have lost their minds.

So , $2.35 for a breakfast.. man, thats pretty good.

martin0siddle
12-29-2013, 08:47 PM
I was in for a SHOCK the other day... Dunkin fucking Donuts just raised their Prices just days ago..

I paid OVER $3.. $ 3.24 with tax I think it was, for 1 MED Coffee, and 1 French CRULLER (and I SWEAR I think they are making them SMALLER, its like 2 bites , done )

I pay my coffee 5$ at starbuck.....

JD426
12-29-2013, 08:51 PM

Starbucks Baristas are too drunk with Power for my taste .. Their coffee smells BURNT , imo.
but if you like it, thats what counts..
The do have some NICE SCONES..

PapiQueRico
12-29-2013, 08:56 PM

Why would you go out of your way to spend so much for burnt over roasted coffee?

I call it Charbucks!

jose1234
12-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Yes, ordering grande beers for 100 pesos at D'Latin = $2.35 approximately and a bucket of 5 regular size Presidentes at Mamajuana Cafe = under $2 per beer... This is the good ole times. Prices here are cheap. You expect cheap, but it is really cheap... Half a roast chicken with fries for less than $5 yes... piping hot out of the kitchen... The only expensive thing here is the airplane flight cost... in my humble opinion... Yes you can spend a lot of money if you want...but you certainly don't have to... Thanks Seville for this fine thread.

martin0siddle
12-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Why would you go out of your way to spend so much for burnt over roasted coffee?

I call it Charbucks!

When someone find a coffee Burnt over its because they find the coffee to much strong(unless its really shit), for starbuck, I never found the taste burnt over.

As for me, I find starbuck coffee not enough strong.... I like VERY VERY strong coffee... I like their coffee.. I'd actually like it if it was little more strong.. but i still like it.

Jimmydr
12-29-2013, 09:04 PM

I use Keruig and now its about 41 cents a cup.:corky:

Jimmydr
12-29-2013, 09:05 PM

You can buy a book of ten large coffees for $12 and with an Aarp card, you get a free donut everytime.

JD426
12-29-2013, 09:08 PM
You can buy a book of ten large coffees for $12 and with an Aarp card, you get a free donut everytime.

thank you for reminding me, fuck you very much , y welcome to the 50 club yourself.. ... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

but that IS a good idea, i will look into the coffee book thing for sure.

Jimmydr
12-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Yes, ordering grande beers for 100 pesos at D'Latin = $2.35 approximately and a bucket of 5 regular size Presidentes at Mamajuana Cafe = under $2 per beer... This is the good ole times. Prices here are cheap. You expect cheap, but it is really cheap... Half a roast chicken with fries for less than $5 yes... piping hot out of the kitchen... The only expensive thing here is the airplane flight cost... in my humble opinion... Yes you can spend a lot of money if you want...but you certainly don't have to... Thanks Seville for this fine thread.

Airfares go up and down.

Jimmydr
12-29-2013, 09:10 PM
thank you for reminding me, fuck you very much , y welcome to the 50 club yourself.. ... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

50 isn't as bad as most will think. I look back at the 3,000 women, I grabbed, spun around, lifted their shirts, fucked, and blew loads into. It was a very interesting ride.

Westy
12-29-2013, 09:14 PM
I use Keruig and now its about 41 cents a cup.:corky:
If I were as serious about good coffee in Sosua as I am at home, I'd bring an Aeropress. Three parts, no metal, hand powered, and it will make you a RIGHTEOUS cup of espresso ... and it doesn't require those Keurig-pods, or even the loose-coffee adapters, to do the job.

Jimmydr
12-29-2013, 09:16 PM
If I were as serious about good coffee in Sosua as I am at home, I'd bring an Aeropress. Three parts, no metal, hand powered, and it will make you a RIGHTEOUS cup of espresso.

That would be the way to go.

Apos
12-29-2013, 09:24 PM
You nasty old fucks aren't 50 yet? (I am!)

So far it's been some of the best times of my "normal" life!

I make my own coffee. (Kerig and imitators suck! :p)

Dominican, Kenyan, Kona, Guatemalan, organic, "shade grown", "fair trade", whatever, in a French Press. Freshly ground.

I've not bothered buying a roaster yet but my oven seems to do ok.

And it's (coffee is) one of the few things that I don't care what it costs! :rolleyes::p (Coffee and airfare...got to have them!) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Starbucks is terrible coffee...try McDonalds if you are in need of "bought" chain coffee. Get an "Americano" with a shot or 2 of extra espresso.

Starbucks Baristas are too drunk with Power for my taste .. Their coffee smells BURNT , imo.
but if you like it, thats what counts..
The do have some NICE SCONES..

I call it Charbucks!

When someone find a coffee Burnt over its because they find the coffee to much strong(unless its really shit), for starbuck, I never found the taste burnt over.

As for me, I find starbuck coffee not enough strong.... I like VERY VERY strong coffee... I like their coffee.. I'd actually like it if it was little more strong.. but i still like it.

Westy
12-29-2013, 09:24 PM
If I were as serious about good coffee in Sosua as I am at home, I'd bring an Aeropress. Three parts, no metal, hand powered, and it will make you a RIGHTEOUS cup of espresso ... and it doesn't require those Keurig-pods, or even the loose-coffee adapters, to do the job.

That would be the way to go.

I think they're mostly marketed to yachtsmen ... it's like a miscegenation between a French press and a Melitta drip-coffee pot, or like a humongous hypodermic syringe with a reinforced coffee-filter holder instead of the pointy end. Put a filter in the holder and twist it onto the cylinder, fill it with the appropriate amount of loose coffee (fine ground), put it on top of the cup and add near-boiling water to the mark; stir it up a few seconds, then put in the plunger and slowly press the coffee into the cup.

Funniest thing is, they're made by the same company that makes the Aerobie, a super-Frisbee kind of flying ring.

weyland
12-29-2013, 09:42 PM
Boring! Let's talk about tea.

lordg
12-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Boring! Let's talk about tea.

Good idea. You must realize the best tea is Asian though.

Apos
12-29-2013, 09:47 PM
An Aeropress makes excellent coffee! Just be sure to get a good grinder. Excellent hand grinders can be found for about $50 and they're portable....like a Aeropress!

I think they're mostly marketed to yachtsmen ... it's like a miscegenation between a French press and a Melitta drip-coffee pot, or like a humongous hypodermic syringe with a reinforced coffee-filter holder instead of the pointy end. Put a filter in the holder and twist it onto the cylinder, fill it with the appropriate amount of loose coffee (fine ground), put it on top of the cup and add near-boiling water to the mark; stir it up a few seconds, then put in the plunger and slowly press the coffee into the cup.

Funniest thing is, they're made by the same company that makes the Aerobie, a super-Frisbee kind of flying ring.

deezl
12-30-2013, 01:09 PM
You nasty old fucks aren't 50 yet? (I am!)

So far it's been some of the best times of my "normal" life!

I make my own coffee. (Kerig and imitators suck! :p)

Dominican, Kenyan, Kona, Guatemalan, organic, "shade grown", "fair trade", whatever, in a French Press. Freshly ground.

I've not bothered buying a roaster yet but my oven seems to do ok.

And it's (coffee is) one of the few things that I don't care what it costs! :rolleyes::p (Coffee and airfare...got to have them!) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Starbucks is terrible coffee...try McDonalds if you are in need of "bought" chain coffee. Get an "Americano" with a shot or 2 of extra espresso.

try Papua New Guinea, you'll never go back.

Jimmydr
12-30-2013, 01:10 PM
try Papua New Guinea, you'll never go back.

Tell us more.

BigLongBeach
12-30-2013, 02:01 PM
I keep clicking this thread expecting to see good values on whores.. fml

deezl
12-30-2013, 02:24 PM
I keep clicking this thread expecting to see good values on whores.. fml

look in EC's 'ugliest chica contest' thread, you can probably find some budget skanks there. :lol:

Jimmydr
12-30-2013, 02:27 PM
look in EC's 'ugliest chica contest' thread, you can probably find some budget skanks there. :lol:

Some may be high priced FB chicas as well.

sopranostingray
12-30-2013, 08:18 PM

USD$ 2.35 is 1OO pesos these days. He buys most of his product at Playero so his costs are high. The cost of that plate is more than 1 dollar plus the labour and the propane.

praguealchemist
12-30-2013, 08:51 PM
USD$ 2.35 is 1OO pesos these days. He buys most of his product at Playero so his costs are high. The cost of that plate is more than 1 dollar plus the labour and the propane.

Speaking of 100 pesos deals, I love the lunches at Casa Manana. The breakfasts are also 100. Casa Manana is a hotel, condo development with a restaurant that is open for breakfast and lunch only. It is located next to the Palms and across the street from the Tradewinds. Mike is the owner, the cook and even does laundry for 30 pesos a pound and that includes wash and dry using a dryer not hanging.

The lunch is one set meal each weekday and includes chilled water from a bottle at no extra charge but it is not available on weekends. Monday is a big beef burrito with melted cheese topping, rice a small salad and guacamole sometimes, Tuesday is fish day and he can fry up some good tasting filets with a lobster sauce and with mashed I believe, I almost eat there every tuesday because the fish is my favorite some veggies and salad as well. Wednesday is beef stroganoff with pasta thursday is chicken curry with rice and friday is schnitzel with mashed a nice gravy, veggies and a little salad. The schnitzel is my second favorite and I know schnitzel since I lived in Germany frpm 86 until 98 I should be able to recognize a good schnitzel. He buys ingredients at playero and I dont know how he does it for the price, but I sure appreciate it since I live close and the togo cartons are also only 100 and get always get three or four fish and schnitzel to go as well they are that tasty to me. He must love to cook and he told me that he does it for the staff and the small profit pays for the meals of the staff so they have lunch which is really nice of him I think. Enjoy the deals in sosua guys because meals like this are as close to home cooked as I get and 100 pesos only I am very happy.

Jimmydr
12-30-2013, 09:41 PM

He needs to buy wholesale.

Seville
12-31-2013, 12:00 AM

I agree that he can't be making money on the breakfast but it is not my business. It is my wallet and 100 pesos for that breakfast is a great value. The place is down at the other end of the strip so it is great for those staying at places like Coco Hotel, Europa, Plaza Sosua and Mary Rose. Much shorter walk than going all the way into the center of town for breakfast.

Today he had the eggs scrambled up with ham, bacon, onions, peppers and cheese all mixed in. Toast, fresh roll, fruit and coffee. No idea how long he will be able to sustain that price but I'll take it while it lasts.

Meyer Lansky
12-31-2013, 01:20 PM

Did it ever occur to you that just perhaps, his "main business" is not this restaurant, and it is a beard for a much bigger enterprise?

Jimmydr
12-31-2013, 01:30 PM
I agree that he can't be making money on the breakfast but it is not my business. It is my wallet and 100 pesos for that breakfast is a great value. The place is down at the other end of the strip so it is great for those staying at places like Coco Hotel, Europa, Plaza Sosua and Mary Rose. Much shorter walk than going all the way into the center of town for breakfast.

Today he had the eggs scrambled up with ham, bacon, onions, peppers and cheese all mixed in. Toast, fresh roll, fruit and coffee. No idea how long he will be able to sustain that price but I'll take it while it lasts.

Breakfast is just gravy for a restaurant. If he makes 75 cents a serving, it adds up.

whynotme
12-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Breakfast is just gravy for a restaurant. If he makes 75 cents a serving, it adds up.

yes breakfast is typically a loss leader to get customers in the door and hopefully have them come back for lunch/dinner or add on an extra coffee

volume and fast turn around for breakfast orders also helps the bottom line

Westy
12-31-2013, 01:58 PM

Sounds like it would still be a good deal at a higher price, 150 or even 200 pesos. Heck, up here in gringo-land, "Casa de Payaso" charges the equivalent of 125 pesos for an Egg McMuffin. The one thing that will stop me from trying it is the free breakfast with my room at Casa Cayena.

sopranostingray
12-31-2013, 04:16 PM
Did it ever occur to you that just perhaps, his "main business" is not this restaurant, and it is a beard for a much bigger enterprise?

And you would post this comment why?

balcoach
12-31-2013, 04:49 PM
And you would post this comment why?

Ray... This clown is clueless of whom he is discussing or of what he is discussing.

Seville
12-31-2013, 04:57 PM

Did it ever occur to you that Elvis is alive and well and living in Sosua with a Haitiana and her 13 children?

Jimmydr
12-31-2013, 05:04 PM
Ray... This clown is clueless of whom he is discussing or of what he is discussing.

And he is drunk by now.

deezl
12-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Did it ever occur to you that Elvis is alive and well and living in Sosua with a Haitiana and her 13 children?

Yeah, I've seen him - he owns Sinatras...