PDA

View Full Version : 01/2014 - Rubys #144

Seville
01-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Today Ruby put on food for her customers.....FREE. Wings, sausage, peppers, onions and fresh rolls. Many business here, gringo and Dominican alike, are only concerned with squeezing every single peso posible out of their customers at every opportunity. The thought of actually giving something away FREE as a way to say thanks for your business is out of the question for most. This (and the fact that Haitian chicas hang out there) is the reason I go to Rubys. While she and I have had our differences and we certainly don't hang out together; she gets it and really appreciates people spending their pesos with her. This is far from the first time she has done something like this.

Many businesses in this town could learn from her example.

deezl
01-11-2014, 07:38 PM
absolutely. a lot of places treat their customers like they're an inconvenience, ruby actually appreciates her customers. mamajuana shots on the house (with regularity, no less). who else does that?

trEPP33
01-11-2014, 08:08 PM
I saw her one night at a party or get together that Robert was hosting at Casa Cayena. Didn't meet her nor did I know who she was but the next day I saw her at Rhumbas. I waved only to say hello and she came over (uninvited) and sat down. We talked for almost an hour and during the time I bought her a couple drinks. As she got up to leave she thanked me for the drinks and told me she was the owner of Ruby's. She then invited me to come by her spot the next day and all my drinks were free. She gets it.

j_d66
01-11-2014, 09:03 PM
absolutely. a lot of places treat their customers like they're an inconvenience, ruby actually appreciates her customers. mamajuana shots on the house (with regularity, no less). who else does that?

Rancho Tipico does that as well.

Seville
01-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Rancho Tipico does that as well.

We were in there one night and Ad gave everyone at our table a rum and coke on the house. I can't remember a time there when he didn't give us all a mamajuana.

Apos
01-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Lots of places or owners do.

Antica Locanda and Rick at Rockys often offer a shot. Mamajuana at my favorite Italian restaurant in Sosua and great Whisky, or whatever is on hand, when he's got something new and different from Rick. Had many free mamajuana shots at Siempre Sol after a meal there too. It's a shame he closed the kitchen....

But most other places do not do it often, if at all, and forget regularly.

Some business owners "get it" and most don't. Never heard of or had free food anywhere else though, just Ruby's!

Irie
01-11-2014, 09:42 PM
We were in there one night and Ad gave everyone at our table a rum and coke on the house. I can't remember a time there when he didn't give us all a mamajuana.

Rum and Coke....................uffff. Talk to me when it's Irish coffee. :rofl:

Actually, I've been privy to quite a few shots gratis at both places............one of the many reasons I keep returning.

jose1234
01-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Feeling appreciated is getting close to feeling special...we all want to feel special and important... Business often goes beyond the price of the thing they are selling... Showing respect, interest and real conversation to others is the way to live our life and move ahead too... IMHO

minkyboodle
01-12-2014, 12:49 AM
Rubys is a great spot let me add my voice to the choir and echo the positive sentiments here, great place that treats
its customers right!

Ram
01-12-2014, 02:57 AM
Lots of places or owners do.

Antica Locanda and Rick at Rockys often offer a shot. Mamajuana at my favorite Italian restaurant in Sosua and great Whisky, or whatever is on hand, when he's got something new and different from Rick. Had many free mamajuana shots at Siempre Sol after a meal there too. It's a shame he closed the kitchen....

But most other places do not do it often, if at all, and forget regularly.

Some business owners "get it" and most don't. Never heard of or had free food anywhere else though, just Ruby's!

Kudos to Ruby. She does understand business more than most...much more than most.

On my last birthday Herman from Siempre Sol complimented my beers (6 grandes) and food for the day.

thunderstar
01-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Kudos to Ruby. She does understand business more than most...much more than most.

On my last birthday Herman from Siempre Sol complimented my beers (6 grandes) and food for the day.

Its nice to talk about GOOD people as well, so :

Rick looked after myself and Mrs T for her Birthday in Rockies and a couple of free drinks in the Mary Rose.

Herman shouted us free drinks on our last morning

Ruby shouted us free shots at Rubys

I will always be greatful to Dominican Billy on educating us in FOD on our first trip outside of the AI's.

Also - thinking about it - Scot Talihabor was good to us when he had his restaurant at the Europa

And Eddy of Eddys sports bar YEARS ago was a great business man

There are good people on the north coast!

Jimmydr
01-12-2014, 09:57 AM

Rick looked after myself and Mrs T for her Birthday in Rockies and a couple of free drinks in the Mary Rose.

I will always be greatful to Dominican Billy on educating us in FOD on our first trip outside of the AI's.

Also - thinking about it - Scot Talihabor was good to us when he had his restaurant at the Europa

There are good people all over the world that treat their customers like gold.

distantvoyeur
01-12-2014, 11:38 AM
There are good people all over the world that treat their customers like gold.

The key is to find them and patronize, keep them in business. Let the sharks fall to the wayside.

Jimmydr
01-12-2014, 02:23 PM
The key is to find them and patronize, keep them in business. Let the sharks fall to the wayside.

Word of mouth helps most of the time.

snoozer
01-13-2014, 08:04 AM

I agree with your list and have benefited from knowing all those mentioned. It is interesting to note that Ruby is the only non-gringo to make anyones list. She does get it.

Seville
02-12-2014, 08:32 AM
Ruby is investing a lot of money in remodeling her place on the beach. All new chairs that are much better quality and more comfortable. New roof and new sign. Completely remodeling the interior to add a kitchen so she can do food. The only problem is that I don't see a place for the mirror that all the chicas dance in front of.:biggrin:

JD426
02-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Where is Rubys again ? and how do i get there by walking , by Moto or Taxi ? can you give me directions please...

:rofl:

im sorry, i could not help myself

rahsta
02-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Ill make sure I get there in March.

Citynights
02-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Ill make sure I get there in March.

Rubys in about 30 days....:bigthumbup::eldrunko:

Mr. Smooth
02-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Ruby is investing a lot of money in remodeling her place on the beach. All new chairs that are much better quality and more comfortable. New roof and new sign. Completely remodeling the interior to add a kitchen so she can do food. The only problem is that I don't see a place for the mirror that all the chicas dance in front of.:biggrin:

It would be a shame if she had it taken away with all the new money being spent to spruce up the place if all this beach development does wind up going forward. Things seem to have quieted down about that, at least I haven't read any concrete updates regarding the beach promenade, or whatever was being planned by the business and political leaders. Personally, I hope all that noise just fades away.

Seville, to be honest, I hope Ruby has a special chair just for you. Kind of like an "Archie Bunker" chair. Have your name or a "WTF" engraved in it to signify that only you sit in it. I can't imagine the money Ruby has made since you first started promoting her place on the board. Thanks to you, countless ISOC'ers have become staples at Ruby's while on vacation. Well.....the Haitianas certainly don't hurt either in keeping them coming back.

But maybe none of this happens without you first singing Ruby's praises. Many an afternoon's great time has been had there by so many of us over the past few years. And more than a little thanks for that should be aimed in your direction.

jose1234
02-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Rubys in about 30 days....:bigthumbup::eldrunko:

It is about time you get back here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Fr4K-rYQs

enquisitive
02-12-2014, 06:21 PM
A mirror would be useful, I like it when the chicas dance! :p The remodelling wasn't complete when I was there, but I took a couple of photos. Ruby's is 144 on the main Sosua beach. It is around the middle of the beach. I always got there by walking from the Victorian House end and staring at chicas asses along the way (I think there is access in the middle and the other end also)

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=95059&d=1392246865
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=95060&d=1392246887
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=95061&d=1392246900
http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=95058&d=1392246835
LOL the sticker was already a bit worse for wear from Roberto's man-sweat!

Westy
02-12-2014, 08:09 PM
All I can add is that I'll be "voting with my feet (and my pesos)" in three weeks and a day. Hope there will be an un-engraved seat for me.

minkyboodle
02-12-2014, 11:45 PM
It would be a shame if she had it taken away with all the new money being spent to spruce up the place if all this beach development does wind up going forward. Things seem to have quieted down about that, at least I haven't read any concrete updates regarding the beach promenade, or whatever was being planned by the business and political leaders. Personally, I hope all that noise just fades away.

I agree 100 percent, personally I'm hoping no news is good news on this front as this is the only "sky is falling" rumors from Sosua that really bothered me. Hate to see all those great places go by the wayside...

MrHappy
02-13-2014, 06:26 AM
Just based on Robert's shilling alone, I really need to hop up for a weekend. It's been a long time since I sat around a table at the beach and squeezed "lemons".

JD426
02-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Just based on Robert's shilling alone, I really need to hop up for a weekend. It's been a long time since I sat around a table at the beach and squeezed "lemons".

mmmm, ok Mr Robert Plant...
( curious to see who even gets that )

MrHappy
02-13-2014, 11:17 AM

Should I post the video?

weyland
02-13-2014, 07:04 PM
I see Ruby has dropped all mention of "Volkan" on the new facade. Another one denying her racial ancestry.

"El Manantial" means "spring" or "source".

enquisitive
02-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Makes sense, Seville is the source of info on Haitian pussy! :mrgreen:

Hanzo
02-14-2014, 08:40 AM

The reference is about as subtle as a zeppelin.

ezsmile
02-27-2014, 03:03 PM
I see Ruby has dropped all mention of "Volkan" on the new facade. Another one denying her racial ancestry.

good one!