PDA

View Full Version : currency exchange in Plaza Colonial

ezsmile
02-27-2014, 02:57 PM
Some time ago Choirboy recommended this currency exchange spot to me.

It is located in the Plaza Colonial, also known as the Orange Plaza, which is the small shopping plaza with the Orange Store, next to the Banco Popular in Sosua.

It is tucked away back in the corner, next to the M&M massage parlour.

On Friday Feb 21 and Monday Feb 24 the exchange rates were 43.1 pesos to the US dollar, and 37.7 pesos to the Canadian dollar. (10 days earlier the bank rate was 42.9 so I think he has very competitive rates)

He is only open weekdays during business hours. I know a lot of guys will use WU for their currency exchange, but this place does not require you bring your passport, and you won't have 15 people in line before you taking an interminable amount of time to conduct their business.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=95865&d=1393530093

It is the doorway with the a/c unit above, leading into a blue hallway. Inside is an electric gate you must be buzzed through.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=95866&d=1393530098

madvillian
02-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Nice find, can anyone else confirm if this exchange is on the level? I'm tired of using banco reservas and want a place with that's in and out with a good rate.

Seville
02-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Nice find, can anyone else confirm if this exchange is on the level? I'm tired of using banco reservas and want a place with that's in and out with a good rate.

It is on the level.

TNT72
02-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Just past that blue door, on the same side, is an awesome phone guy. If/when the Germans on PC can't unlock a phone for you, take it to this guy. It took him two days to run the programs for it, but he unlocked a phone of mine (the Germans just looked at it and shook their head no). He only charged me like five or six hundred pesos to do it.

madvillian
02-27-2014, 06:52 PM
It is on the level.
gracias

LJDMV
02-27-2014, 07:07 PM
That exchange place has always given me a good rate. Just got to get there early before they close. Also he gives you a receipt to show exactly the rate and how much he gives you. I don't like walking around with my passport while in Sosua so I usually go there instead of western union. But I do like some of the chicas I can meet outside of the western union..

psriches
02-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Anyone know a good spot for Saturday's and Sunday's??

Seville
02-27-2014, 09:04 PM

Western Union is open on Saturdays. I could be wrong but I think other guys have posted that the big Playero will change money at the current rate. I know you can buy some small shit and pay with US$100 to receive change.

JD426
02-27-2014, 09:10 PM

2nd vote for Playero Supermercado, its so convenient . Most days one goes there anyway for drinks or whatever, so its one stop.
I cant imagine anyone beating their rate on the weekend.
But Someoene said recently that they are limiting it as of recent ? but i didnt have any such problems changing $.
I cant imagine its more than half a peso diff.,which is better than the street guys..

This Cambio at the Plaza Colonial certainly seems like the best rate for weekdays yes, but do they have a Minimum ?
I thought i recalled someone saying you need to change at least $200 and up & I also thought i read if you change like $1,000 or more you get an even better rate ? ? i could be recalling that wrong, but they do bulk mostly it seems.

ezsmile
02-28-2014, 12:56 PM
2nd vote for Playero Supermercado, its so convenient . Most days one goes there anyway for drinks or whatever, so its one stop.
I cant imagine anyone beating their rate on the weekend.
But Someoene said recently that they are limiting it as of recent ? but i didnt have any such problems changing $.
I cant imagine its more than half a peso diff.,which is better than the street guys..

This Cambio at the Plaza Colonial certainly seems like the best rate for weekdays yes, but do they have a Minimum ?
I thought i recalled someone saying you need to change at least $200 and up & I also thought i read if you change like $1,000 or more you get an even better rate ? ? i could be recalling that wrong, but they do bulk mostly it seems.

Don't know if they have a minimum, but my last exchange was for CDN$100 so it is at least as low as that.

Citynights
02-28-2014, 01:19 PM
Some time ago Choirboy recommended this currency exchange spot to me.

It is located in the Plaza Colonial, also known as the Orange Plaza, which is the small shopping plaza with the Orange Store, next to the Banco Popular in Sosua.

It is tucked away back in the corner, next to the M&M massage parlour.

On Friday Feb 21 and Monday Feb 24 the exchange rates were 43.1 pesos to the US dollar, and 37.7 pesos to the Canadian dollar. (10 days earlier the bank rate was 42.9 so I think he has very competitive rates)

He is only open weekdays during business hours. I know a lot of guys will use WU for their currency exchange, but this place does not require you bring your passport, and you won't have 15 people in line before you taking an interminable amount of time to conduct their business.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=95865&d=1393530093)

It is the doorway with the a/c unit above, leading into a blue hallway. Inside is an electric gate you must be buzzed through.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=95866&d=1393530098)

That is one of two places that I change money at... Best rate in town

Citynights
02-28-2014, 01:22 PM
That exchange place has always given me a good rate. Just got to get there early before they close. Also he gives you a receipt to show exactly the rate and how much he gives you. I don't like walking around with my passport while in Sosua so I usually go there instead of western union. But I do like some of the chicas I can meet outside of the western union..

So do the Chicas....:rofl: