PDA

View Full Version : 05/2014 - Siempre Sol is Closing

Ram
05-31-2014, 04:34 PM
I was just informed by Herman that he will be closing Siempre Sol. Herman had told me a few months ago that he was getting tired of running a bar. He wants to be able to enjoy life and do things that he wants to do for a change. He did not give me an exact date but he told me it was in 10 days. I am not sure if the bar will exist in some other form or with other owners as Siempre Sol as Herman had once suggested.

I want to thank Herman for the many years of fun that he has provided. I sometimes wonder how many grandes I have had there....hundreds I would suppose. I met many good friends and many chicas at his place over the years. I will miss it.

All the best Herman.

Count
05-31-2014, 04:42 PM
I wish Herman all the best too. He has given me great advice over the years, going back to 2002. His was the first bar I went to in Sosua. I've met a lot of people through him, both tourists and expats. He has always treated me well, including providing many "mamajuanas" on the house. He always offered interesting conversation with a European flavour.

cheers to Herman

Gutter Meat
06-01-2014, 12:18 AM
Never hung out there, but every time I passed there was a regular crowd. How does naming rights in the DR work? Can the next owner keep the name?

gdogg
06-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Yep, that was place to find Ram if you were looking for him. :wink: Wishing Herman the best! :iconTU:

Festy
06-07-2014, 08:28 AM
My understanding is tomorrow is Herman's last day at Siempre Sol (#145 on Sosua Beach).

Does anyone know if he sold the place or is just closing? His place has been quiet the last couple years I have passed by and I recall he was quite ill last August too. He's been there for quite a few years.

Kevy
06-07-2014, 09:02 AM
merging festy thread to this

Ram
06-07-2014, 03:55 PM
My understanding is tomorrow is Herman's last day at Siempre Sol (#145 on Sosua Beach).

Does anyone know if he sold the place or is just closing? His place has been quiet the last couple years I have passed by and I recall he was quite ill last August too. He's been there for quite a few years.

He sent out a note today on Facebook that tomorrow is his last day. He said it was closing. He was talking about selling it and the buyers were taking over the name but I am not sure if this worked out. He has been ill but he was back to health in April. He told me he want to close just because he is tired of running a beach bar (16 years), he no longer needs the money as his pension has full kicked in. Herman said he wants to be more like the rest of the guys on the beach, they can come and go as they please and who wants to work when you are creeping up on 70.

ErikS
06-07-2014, 09:20 PM
He sent out a note today on Facebook that tomorrow is his last day. He said it was closing. He was talking about selling it and the buyers were taking over the name but I am not sure if this worked out. He has been ill but he was back to health in April. He told me he want to close just because he is tired of running a beach bar (16 years), he no longer needs the money as his pension has full kicked in. Herman said he wants to be more like the rest of the guys on the beach, they can come and go as they please and who wants to work when you are creeping up on 70.

So where should I expect to bump into you on the beach now mi amigo? :corky:

Ram
06-07-2014, 11:53 PM

Oh, I don't know....just stroll up and down, I am sure to be somewhere!! It was great seeing you last time!

Kevy
06-08-2014, 07:27 AM

just go to Ted's bar :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

swiggy
06-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Was there last month and Herman told me about closing. He said that he knows that he doesn't have much time left to really enjoy his life, and that the beach crowd isn't what it used to be. A few years ago his pension kicked in and IMO he changed a lot, was much more relaxed. That's probably about the time he closed the kitchen now that I think about it. I know a lot of people don't like him, but I do. He can be a bit chismoso sometimes but he would be the first person to tell you to watch out when dealing with suspect people or suspect situations. I will miss the old place and Herman, I had a lot of fun there.

Count
06-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Was there last month and Herman told me about closing. He said that he knows that he doesn't have much time left to really enjoy his life, and that the beach crowd isn't what it used to be. A few years ago his pension kicked in and IMO he changed a lot, was much more relaxed. That's probably about the time he closed the kitchen now that I think about it. I know a lot of people don't like him, but I do. He can be a bit chismoso sometimes but he would be the first person to tell you to watch out when dealing with suspect people or suspect situations. I will miss the old place and Herman, I had a lot of fun there.

Well said. I feel precisely the same way.

Ram
06-08-2014, 04:35 PM
just go to Ted's bar :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Only after midnight! It's walking distance from my apartment!!:walk:

Mr. Smooth
06-08-2014, 07:15 PM
I didn't go to Herman's much, maybe once a trip. Usually I would be at Rubys with Seville and whoever else might be around.

But Herman could be a bullshitter of the first order. Once while sitting with him at his bar, he flat out told me that Seville, as a thank you from Ruby for promoting her spot on the beach, was getting a 10% cut off the top of her revenue for his own pockets. I pleaded ignorance at his assertion and later when I mentioned this to Seville, he got a good laugh out of it, and then I think became a little miffed that Herman would say such a thing. And to be fair, Seville assured me that it was all bullshit, which I figured.

Anyway, all water under the bridge now. Hope the old man can enjoy what years he has left. But that is just too nice of a bar to be vacant for too long I would think. Someone must be looking at that place as a business opportunity.

Ram
06-08-2014, 07:30 PM
But Herman could be a bullshitter of the first order.

Its not that he could be, he is a bullshitter of the first order. The man was losing it in the last few years. Too many years and too much alcohol...combined with the way Sosua is as a small town. You should hear some of the things owners say about other owners in this little town. More than it's share of bitter people in Sosua. This I have learned in the past year and a half. As long as you are not mixed up in it, it can be quite amusing.

whynotme
06-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Sosua is as a small town. You should hear some of the things owners say about other owners in this little town.

the same thing happens in small towns all over: '' if you don't hear a rumour by 10am you start one":rofl:

ROVER
06-23-2014, 01:04 AM
From Sosua News

Herman of Siempre Sol enjoys his retirement (http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=3746&article=1)

In early June Herman, the owner of the beach bar Siempre Sol, decided to start enjoying his well-deserved retirement. Siempre Sol is so no more and is for rent now.

http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2014/06/06-23_siempre.jpg (http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2014/06/06-23_siempre.jpg) Mauricio and Herman (R)

In 1996, Herman, with his then girlfriend Esco, made an exploration tour of the island.

After this they decided to start a beach bar on the beach of Sosúa. They found a place and turned it into 'Siempre Sol', an eye catcher. Herman had sufficient marketing knowledge to know that promotion was the first step to success. He had T shirts, buttons, caps, stickers and business cards printed with Siempre Sol on it. Soon after, half of Sosúa walked around with such a T shirt or button.

It must be said, Herman did very well on the beach of Sosúa. It was very rare when you saw Herman with no customers at his bar. Many came back faithfully every holiday. Herman was a good host for everyone. But after 18 years, it was enough and he wants the years that lie before him, enjoy his retirement. We will miss you, Herman, for Siempre Sol was not just a beach bar, no, it was the place to be at the beach of Sosúa.

One the Sosua success stories that a many have tried to emulate but few succeeded. Good Luck and Good Health to him in his retirement...:ilike:

jose1234
06-23-2014, 11:38 AM
There has been a lot of work on the bar over the past three days, its being re-painted and thoroughly cleaned. Some roof work and other construction was going on but I did not look that close to tell what is going on exactly. I am guessing that Herman is not doing this in preparation to rent, but probably someone has already rented the bar or it has been sold. ???

MrHappy
06-23-2014, 11:48 AM
There has been a lot of work on the bar over the past three days, its being re-painted and thoroughly cleaned. Some roof work and other construction was going on but I did not look that close to tell what is going on exactly. I am guessing that Herman is not doing this in preparation to rent, but probably someone has already rented the bar or it has been sold. ???

Why do you think Herman owns it? I'm sure he was renting from the owner, and just stopped renting it. I'd guess somebody else has rented it and will be opening soon.

Señor JDR of Medellin
06-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Why do you think Herman owns it? I'm sure he was renting from the owner, and just stopped renting it. I'd guess somebody else has rented it and will be opening soon.

Exactly, nobody owns those stalls. They just rent. Now a new sucker took over most likely at $4,000 a month or more.

jose1234
06-23-2014, 01:03 PM
If a property/bar has a lease, often in many places the business can be sold with the new owner taking over the old lease or renegotiating a new lease and also buying the FF&E and goodwill.

Many of the beach bars are sort of owned or controlled in a sort of way...subject to government intervention and forces unseen... As in many barrios where a dislinde/survey may cost as much or more as the land, land is often sold via a contract sale and no real title is transferred. I don't understand the whole process because when I started to hear about this I was not interested. Mr. Happy or other veterans here may know more about how this works. Also, I have been told everything on the beach is illegal and etc.

The sales of Sosua Beach restaurants with a contract for sale may be completely illegal, but there are listings for sale and I am completely confused about it..

http://www.sosuarentalservice.com/websites/commercial_for_sale_property282.html

Señor JDR of Medellin
06-23-2014, 04:39 PM
If a property/bar has a lease, often in many places the business can be sold with the new owner taking over the old lease or renegotiating a new lease and also buying the FF&E and goodwill.

Many of the beach bars are sort of owned or controlled in a sort of way...subject to government intervention and forces unseen... As in many barrios where a dislinde/survey may cost as much or more as the land, land is often sold via a contract sale and no real title is transferred. I don't understand the whole process because when I started to hear about this I was not interested. Mr. Happy or other veterans here may know more about how this works. Also, I have been told everything on the beach is illegal and etc.

The sales of Sosua Beach restaurants with a contract for sale may be completely illegal, but there are listings for sale and I am completely confused about it..

http://www.sosuarentalservice.com/websites/commercial_for_sale_property282.html

I went thru this and it can be a nightmare.

BrooklynBeas
06-23-2014, 06:43 PM
I went thru this and it can be a nightmare.

I didn't go through it but i've heard stories, not sure to be honest who told me but it was years ago, supposedly someone was renting from someone who they thought was the owner, paying their rent, then the lease is up and the business is booming, then all of a sudden the rent triples in price.... Then someone you thought was the owner but wasn't the owner is who you were paying rent to... Then the new owner comes in and says it's their place and you owe them back rent and future rent... Dont wanna pay, fine, but the place just may be burnt to the ground the next day or you may not be alive in the next few days, your choice, do what you like... Now what do you do???

You know what you do....? You dont own a business in DR unless you have very powerful people to back you up and have a lot of money to burn!

eldorob
06-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Many of the beach bars are sort of owned or controlled in a sort of way...subject to government intervention and forces unseen... l (http://www.sosuarentalservice.com/websites/commercial_for_sale_property282.html)

The vendor shacks are on gov't land. The feds own so many feet from the waters edge. That's why they can make them move into a Plaza if the beach makeover ever starts. That's also what dictates that there are no "private beaches".

jose1234
06-26-2014, 10:57 PM
A guy who had a restaurant at the Calibre Hotel seems to be the new owner/renter of the former Siempre Sol. He had told a neighboring bar owner he plans on serving pizza... So some people here might like that... Not sure what he will call the place and what other food he will serve. He is moving the bar from the back of the building to the front and making some other changes there... Not sure when they will open.. or any more info at this time... Hoping it turns out well... Its a nice spot.