PDA

View Full Version : 05/2014 - Prepaid cellphones - new rules

WickedWillie
06-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Any guys out there that have DR cellphones without a plan (i.e. phones that are pre-paid and need to be topped up with minutes) be aware that new rules come into play on June 12th.

All numbers must now be registered OR re-registered to the owner via a vaild cedula or passport number.

If you have a cedula you can do it online on the providers website or via text, guys with only passports need to go to the providers office.

Apparently numbers not registered by June 12th will be cut off.

Took me about 20 seconds online with Orange for one of my numbers and they gave me a RD$200 call credit for doing it.

Señor JDR of Medellin
06-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Any guys out there that have DR cellphones without a plan (i.e. phones that are pre-paid and need to be topped up with minutes) be aware that new rules come into play on June 12th.

All numbers must now be registered OR re-registered to the owner via a vaild cedula or passport number.

If you have a cedula you can do it online on the providers website or via text, guys with only passports need to go to the providers office.

Took me about 20 seconds online with Orange for one of my numbers and they gave me a RD$200 call credit for doing it.

Can you have an amiga register it for you?

WickedWillie
06-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Can you have an amiga register it for you?

In her name with her ID of course, but then it's her phone.

Señor JDR of Medellin
06-03-2014, 11:51 AM
In her name with her ID of course, but then it's her phone.

You know who I am thinking about. She has same phone for years.:iconTU::iconTU:

ezsmile
06-03-2014, 11:59 AM

I arrive there June 14th, I will test that and get back. Although my number was registered years ago, it has not been re-registered.

WickedWillie
06-03-2014, 12:01 PM
You know who I am thinking about. She has same phone for years.:iconTU::iconTU:

Assuming that the number is a pre-paid number and was issued originally in her name she just needs to re-register that number using her cedula.

Tell her that she'll get a RD$200 bonus for doing it and that she should thank you later.:lol::lol::lol:

Señor JDR of Medellin
06-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Assuming that the number is a pre-paid number and was issued originally in her name she just needs to re-register that number using her cedula.

Tell her that she'll get a RD$200 bonus for doing it and that she should thank you later.:lol::lol::lol:

We will find out in 3 weeks.:iconTU::iconTU::iconTU:

JD426
06-03-2014, 12:25 PM
A little while back I was having trouble with a Sim Card which i had bought and WAS under my passport
,and the chica at the Orange Store in Playero "rented" me one of HER sim cards for a week.. So I destroyed mine to be sure it was done & out of circulation..

Not sure if this "renting" of Sims would still be allowed now or not, but it worked out for me.

The Sage
06-03-2014, 12:38 PM
WW, would this apply for prepaid numbers originally obtained in the cell company's offices with passport registered? I know that many numbers are picked up from street vendors with no passport registration.

DCIronman
06-03-2014, 12:50 PM
I've always registered my DR Sim cards with my passport. I didn't know that there was any other way for a visitor without a resident cedula to get a Sim card.

jose1234
06-03-2014, 12:55 PM
I've always registered my DR Sim cards with my passport. I didn't know that there was any other way for a visitor without a resident cedula to get a Sim card.

People walk Sosua beach selling sim cards.

balcoach
06-03-2014, 01:08 PM
This will cause true chaos!!! Not just gringos, but I would say 1/2 of the dominicans phones are not in there name, sims are bought off the street, etc. Should be interesting.

JD426
06-03-2014, 02:20 PM
I dont think it will cause as much Chaos as people think..

wait for it...

but the DR will have the most DEAD people with Cell phones registered in their names, in the world..
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Not even in the USA can you possibly control who is in posession of a PRE PAID cell phone, ever..
We would not even attempt such a thing..even if we wanted to.
but a 3rd word country thinks they got a SYSTEM to keep track of everyone.. ?
Which im guessing is their Intention ?

This is kind of Laughable at best..

but it may still cause Chaos for the people trying to stay Legit
... was only being sarcastic on that part..

jose1234
06-03-2014, 03:06 PM
I contacted Claro and was told that if you don't have a cedula and only a passport, you will have to drive to the main Claro office in Puerto Plata to register your phone with your passport. I don't know where the main Claro office serving Boca Chica is, but more than likely you will have to go to the main Claro office serving that area unless a friend registers your phone in their name.

JD426
06-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Could it be they are just running out of 809 829 #s ? and are trying to Free up a whole bunch of them at ONE time ??

imo, thats a much bigger reason for this..
Cancelled #s can be recycled immediately..

not to mention the windfall of $ left over on the cancelled unregistered phone #s

Dick Dawson
06-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Could it be they are just running out of 809 829 #s ? and are trying to Free up a whole bunch of them at ONE time ??

not to mention the windfall of $ left over on the cancelled unregistered phone #s

The DR also has 849 so if they're running out, you'll see more #s with this area code.

Señor JDR of Medellin
06-03-2014, 04:33 PM
The DR also has 849 so if they're running out, you'll see more #s with this area code.

The Captains get that 849 area code:iconTU::iconTU:

bailar
06-03-2014, 05:28 PM
WW, would this apply for prepaid numbers originally obtained in the cell company's offices with passport registered? I know that many numbers are picked up from street vendors with no passport registration.

I was wondering about this myself. My sim is tied to my passport ( I bought it in an Orange company office two years ago ). Do need to register it again???

JD426
06-03-2014, 05:29 PM
The Captains get that 849 area code:iconTU::iconTU:

Now that you let the cat out of the bag.. they wont out themselves..

And Dawson so gracefully lobbed it right over the Net too..

Do you also call people to tell them you are coming to their Surprise Birthday Party ?

The Sage
06-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Something I read on DR1 leads me to believe they are reeling in only the unregistered numbers. We will see because there's nothing anyone not on the island can do about it right now. By the way it's just not you and me. there has to be tens of thousands of frequent visitors who generate a lot if revenue for the cell companies that would be left out in the cold.

WickedWillie
06-03-2014, 06:23 PM

It is only for prepaid numbers obtained by whatever means. If you got one from say the German guys next to the Shark bar without ID you now just have to register it with a cedula or passport (ie govt. issued ID)

WickedWillie
06-03-2014, 06:25 PM
This will cause true chaos!!! Not just gringos, but I would say 1/2 of the dominicans phones are not in there name, sims are bought off the street, etc. Should be interesting.

Only bought off the street coz the Dominicans are too fucking lazy to go to an office. They all have a cedula, all they need to do is register their number against their ID.

WickedWillie
06-03-2014, 06:31 PM

I understand this need to identify callers is all part of the new world order the DR is undergoing with things like the new 911 emergency system just launched, new biometric cedulas just launched, new immigration and naturalization process just launched.

In some aspects the DR is quite sophisticated as they are starting a lot of these processes from a blank sheet of paper and are thus not hindered by years of ineptitude.

WickedWillie
06-03-2014, 06:32 PM
I was wondering about this myself. My sim is tied to my passport ( I bought it in an Orange company office two years ago ). Do need to register it again???

If it is a prepaid number then yes but before June 12th.

j_d66
06-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Interesting so in reading the resolution they said that they estimate 90% of all cell phones in the country are prepaid and they have given them 6 months to get into compliance. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

And now they have 10 days to get this all done? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

What a joke.

I would bet there are more to be confirmed than have done the confirmation already

Either it will end up being another non event deadline or there be alot of peeps without a phone number in a week

davemaryland
06-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Thanks WW. for the bad news. I have been off the board since my November trip. Now I was thinking about a return trip next month. One thing I like about all my trips to DR was my phone number. Just add some pesos before the trip and it was always ready to go, when I arrived.

WickedWillie
06-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Interesting so in reading the resolution they said that they estimate 90% of all cell phones in the country are prepaid and they have given them 6 months to get into compliance. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

And now they have 10 days to get this all done? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

What a joke.

I would bet there are more to be confirmed than have done the confirmation already

Either it will end up being another non event deadline or there be alot of peeps without a phone number in a week

Don't understand why you say it's a joke, true it's only just hitting the news as the deadline approaches but I got a text message about this 3 or 4 weeks ago, thought it was just me and had no idea it was being rolled out to all prepaid numbers over all carriers.

It also may be true that 90% of cellphones are prepaid, that isn't the point.

If you have a registered prepaid number then just re-register.

If you have an unregistered prepaid number then just register.

It really isn't too onerous to get done but I guess if you are not here you are shit out of luck.

Irie
06-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Don't understand why you say it's a joke, true it's only just hitting the news as the deadline approaches but I got a text message about this 3 or 4 weeks ago, thought it was just me and had no idea it was being rolled out to all prepaid numbers over all carriers.

It really isn't too onerous to get done but I guess if you are not here you are shit out of luck.

I've kind of grown attached to my number. All is good though..........favoritas can return favors. :smile:

BorisDaBulletDodger
06-03-2014, 07:36 PM
I tried on the Claro.do site but I guess they don't take US passport numbers, or I can't read spanish:rofl::rofl:

http://www.claro.com.do/wps/portal/do/sc/personas/movil/prepago#info-02b

WickedWillie
06-03-2014, 07:43 PM
I tried on the Claro.do site but I guess they don't take US passport numbers, or I can't read spanish:rofl::rofl:

http://www.claro.com.do/wps/portal/do/sc/personas/movil/prepago#info-02b

see Ohmmmm's post number 14 and my OP:p

JD426
06-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Does anyone know the best way to set Tires on Fire ??
I'm out of practice... its been a while...

whynotme
06-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Does anyone know the best way to set Tires on Fire ??
I'm out of practice... its been a while...

I put brush in the pile and add waste gas

http://www.solo7.com/solo7/images/tire-test/tire-test2.jpg

http://www.solo7.com/solo7/images/tire-test/tire-test2.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=f8j2xJaRrwOxnM&tbnid=B4ecSKp2OIYIPM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.solo7.com%2Fsolo7%2Fthe-product%2Ftire-on-fire-test&ei=F2eOU56vH46Mqgbm3IL4Dg&bvm=bv.68235269,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNEOMgUHez2I08l7q1uWDWk_ZhvlgQ&ust=1401927731620225)https://share.ehs.uen.org/sites/default/files/images/tirefire.001.png (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=MYpbWhj_92qERM&tbnid=DUzzpj7mC8XKyM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fshare.ehs.uen.org%2Fnode%2F11473&ei=bmeOU6kl15ioBsqXgaAC&bvm=bv.68235269,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNEOMgUHez2I08l7q1uWDWk_ZhvlgQ&ust=1401927731620225)https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5Q7QWcXqCKmDCpWXYubrdcXFdQojHU1TT0oEWLVPq0hG5QqOo (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=MYpbWhj_92qERM&tbnid=DUzzpj7mC8XKyM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.betterroads.com%2Fburn-baby-burn-tire-inferno%2F&ei=bmeOU6kl15ioBsqXgaAC&bvm=bv.68235269,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNEOMgUHez2I08l7q1uWDWk_ZhvlgQ&ust=1401927731620225)

weyland
06-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Only bought off the street coz the Dominicans are too fucking lazy to go to an office. They all have a cedula, all they need to do is register their number against their ID.
And spend two hours in a queue.

In some aspects the DR is quite sophisticated as they are starting a lot of these processes from a blank sheet of paper and are thus not hindered by years of ineptitude.
I am sure they will find ways to put that right.

WickedWillie
06-03-2014, 09:51 PM
And spend two hours in a queue.

What you talking about?????

Dominicans won't need to spend 2 hours in a queue, they have cedulas. They can register online, via text, via tollfree call, via any provider reseller office.....it's only people with passports that need to visit a main office.

j_d66
06-03-2014, 11:14 PM

What the joke is that they pass a rule with an absolutely unrealistic implementation date.

As a point of reference the world fact book estimates there to be 9 million cell phones out there so if 90% are prepaid that leaves somewhere around 8 million to be registered.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/dr.html

If they started right away when it was passed 6 months ago it would take 45,000 each day to register to make it happen.

As you have stated they did not notify people until a month ago. You were on task enough to take the initiative to get it done and even took the time to tell us all about it. Thanks for that.

Gotta believe there is going to be a fair percentage who will ignore it and not get it done.

So with such a short implementation window it can't get done in time.

That's what the joke is.

But I guess you could give 1, 2 3 years to implement and it still wouldn't get done until the last minute.

What seems silly is when I got my Claro phone number, I could not get it without my passport so they already have my information.

Yet they want 100% registration or they must assume that those that did the original registration did so in a shady manner which is making us all go to the main office in POP. That should be interesting.

Probably will be easier just to get a fresh phone number.

BorisDaBulletDodger
06-03-2014, 11:47 PM
see Ohmmmm's post number 14 and my OP:p

Having slanted eyes is a disability :rofl::rofl:

ezsmile
06-04-2014, 03:58 PM
I arrive there June 14th, I will test that and get back. Although my number was registered years ago, it has not been re-registered.

Sent a scan of my passport and my cel number to someone in Sosua, and they went to the Orange store in Sosua beside the Banco Popular to re-register my number. Supposedly it is good now.

Strange that Claro is making passport holders go to Puerto Plata. (I think that was what Ohmmmm said.)

MyTio
06-04-2014, 04:11 PM
last time I was in in January the Claro store in sosua was closed had to go to PP to get a new sim card

questner
06-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Claro and Orange have to open kiosks at the airport to serve visitors and residents. Any volunteers to call Ministry of Tourism? :lol:

Ram
06-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Great. I have 1200rd on my phone and I am not back until the 24th. I only have a passport....no cedula.

Citynights
06-05-2014, 07:46 AM
last time I was in in January the Claro store in sosua was closed had to go to PP to get a new sim card

I think it has moved to the big store on the highway.... They have kiosk by checkout

ezsmile
06-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Great. I have 1200rd on my phone and I am not back until the 24th. I only have a passport....no cedula.

See my post #37. Also, common sense (oxymoron in the D.R. I know) says to me that after June 12 the number would be suspended until you re-register, not cancelled

WickedWillie
06-05-2014, 09:25 AM

Just curious as to why anyone would have RD$1,200 credit on their prepaid phone?

Don't most people just top up RD$100 or RD$200?????

Don't let any chica borrow your phone as she can transfer your minutes in a heartbeat.

Maybe better off getting a plan as your credit is RD$400 more than my monthly plan

TNT72
06-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Just curious as to why anyone would have RD$1,200 credit on their prepaid phone?

Don't let any chica borrow your phone as she can transfer your minutes in a heartbeat.

Maybe better off getting a plan as your credit is RD$400 more than my monthly plan

I don't have a clue how much I have on mine, but I think it will be a lot. Buying $10 every 2 or 3 months to keep it active and not using them should have added up!

Señor JDR of Medellin
06-05-2014, 10:02 AM
I don't have a clue how much I have on mine, but I think it will be a lot. Buying $10 every 2 or 3 months to keep it active and not using them should have added up!

Does it not expire?

WickedWillie
06-05-2014, 11:03 AM

Wow, really you guys do that.:confused::confused::confused:

As it's been a while you must have a few grand in cellphone credit down here, no wonder Carlos Slim is one of the worlds richest guys.

Maybe you can get to use a few in the imminent future.:wink:

But if you don't pass them over as I can always find some willing chica to trade minutes for dick sucking:rofl::rofl:

Seville
06-05-2014, 11:36 AM

As it's been a while you must have a few grand in cellphone credit down here, no wonder Carlos Slim is one of the worlds richest guys.

But if you don't pass them over as I can always find some willing chica to trade minutes for dick sucking:rofl::rofl:

Don't you just love the barter system! I won't be back until the 20th so that will be a problem for me as well.

j_d66
06-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Does it not expire?

If you continue to top it off before the expiration date than your old minutes will not expire.

There is another thread that explains the whole expiration date issue
For example Claro prepaid minutes expire after 60 days.

j_d66
06-05-2014, 12:03 PM

Wow I did not know you could transfer your minutes to another account.
Might be a good bartering tool as long as you can control the transfer.

WickedWillie
06-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Wow I did not know you could transfer your minutes to another account.
Might be a good bartering tool as long as you can control the transfer.

Don't know about Claro but here is the how to for Orange.

http://www.orange.com.do/web/servicios/pasa-tus-fondos

Never done it myself but all the chicas know this trick. Never let them use your phone.:icontd:

TNT72
06-05-2014, 01:26 PM

Callingmart use to let me just do $5.00, but they did away with that option. Now the cheapest is $10.00.

I plan on bartering some of those minutes away myself!

TNT72
06-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Don't know about Claro but here is the how to for Orange.

http://www.orange.com.do/web/servicios/pasa-tus-fondos

Never done it myself but all the chicas know this trick. Never let them use your phone.:icontd:

She may steal your minutes. OOORRRR she could erase EVERY contact in your phone.....except hers of course!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ram
06-05-2014, 02:24 PM

I was making a few calls to Canada from my DR phone. I have magicjack but I needed to make a few calls on the road. I did not make the last call, thus mucho minutos.

rahsta
06-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Brazil does the samething or something similar. I had a phone last year and i had to get the property manager of the apartment i was staying, goto the newsstand and buy a sim card for me. He had to use his id number. Last year was the first time i had my own phone in Rio, so i dont know when they started doing it.

steviewonder
06-05-2014, 04:30 PM
I think it has moved to the big store on the highway.... They have kiosk by checkout

Yes, Claro is located in the new Super Pollo, as well as one in Playaro. I spoke with the lady last night in S Pollo and they can issue new sim cards at her counter, however all registration (existing sims) with oversee passport data must be processed in Puerto Plata. Have not heard from anyone that has been able to re-register online with Claro using an oversees passport #:icontd:

j_d66
06-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Is this where the main Claro office is located in PP?

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=100436&d=1402001066

weyland
06-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Is this where the main Claro office is located in PP?

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=100436&d=1402001066)
Yes.

Allow plenty of time. I had to queue for 75 minutes on Tuesday just to buy a new router, paying cash. I thought that was because of all the people registering their pre-paids, but once I got nearer the counters I could not see a lot of that going on, just the usual miscellany of problems.

You have to queue inside the front door to explain your problem to the receptionist. She enters your name on their computer system and you wait in another queue until your name is called. Would be better if they gave out numbered tickets, because if you miss your name you might lose your chance.

There were twelve manned windows and not more than fifty customers in the place at any time, so in any First World country it would not have taken more than half hour at most. The problem is the massive bureaucracy. Just to buy a router (and there was only one model on offer) they took me through all my existing contract details, took two photocopies of my passport, and filled up a quarto sheet with painfully slow handwriting.

I had to laugh. One assistant called out the next name. No response (the customer had presumably got fed up waiting and left). Called out a second name (same lack of response). Instead of trying a third name on the list he gave up and spent the next ten minutes re-arranging the fluffy toys stuck to his monitor. Another problem is that everybody knows everybody, so when someone steps up to the window there is a long session of gossip and exchange of kids' photos before they get down to business.

This seems generally accepted and no-one complains.

JD426
06-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Yes.

Allow plenty of time. I had to queue for 75 minutes on Tuesday just to buy a new router, paying cash. I thought that was because of all the people registering their pre-paids, but once I got nearer the counters I could not see a lot of that going on, just the usual miscellany of problems.

You have to queue inside the front door to explain your problem to the receptionist. She enters your name on their computer system and you wait in another queue until your name is called. Would be better if they gave out numbered tickets, because if you miss your name you might lose your chance.

There were twelve manned windows and not more than fifty customers in the place at any time, so in any First World country it would not have taken more than half hour at most. The problem is the massive bureaucracy. Just to buy a router (and there was only one model on offer) they took me through all my existing contract details, took two photocopies of my passport, and filled up a quarto sheet with painfully slow handwriting.

I had to laugh. One assistant called out the next name. No response (the customer had presumably got fed up waiting and left). Called out a second name (same lack of response). Instead of trying a third name on the list he gave up and spent the next ten minutes re-arranging the fluffy toys stuck to his monitor. Another problem is that everybody knows everybody, so when someone steps up to the window there is a long session of gossip and exchange of kids' photos before they get down to business.

This seems generally accepted and no-one complains.

why cant you just say "waited in line" ? :rolleyes::rofl:

weyland
06-05-2014, 08:18 PM
why cant you just say "waited in line" ?
Ladies and gentlemen queue. Waiting in line is what you do in prisons and soup kitchens.

To be fair, the Claro system did seem to eliminate the usual problem with "waiting in line" in the DR, which is that, for every one place you move forward, two asshole Dominicans push in front of you. There was still plenty of that going on, but they gained nothing as the names were called in the right order.

jose1234
06-20-2014, 12:51 AM
If you have not already registered your phone, when you hit the ground in the next month and before you register it...you might still be able to use it to receive calls and texts but not make calls and texts. Had I owned an Orange sim, I could have registered it in most company stores, but that is not the case for Claro where you have to go to their main regional office. I am going to get a second sim in my dual sim card phone (Orange or Viva). I wonder what kind of signal Viva has up on the north coast? I will have to ask around... Anyways below is my phone/DR story...

I drove from Cabarete to Puerto Plata to register my pre paid phone and do some other things about five days before the June 12 deadline. They registered it for me in the computer and all seemed fine for two days after the deadline. However on June 16th the phone stopped working. I could still receive phone calls and texts but could not make phone calls or make a text. I went to the Claro offices in Cabarete and Sosua and they both told me my phone was activated and should work but that they could not help me and I had to go back to Puerto Plata to the main office to find out what happened. I went to the main office for the second time a few days later and waited in line for about 45 minutes. A nice woman registered my phone and told me it would take about 30 minutes to be re-activated. I asked what happened and she did not know...she just said "something happened" So I left hoping I would not have to return. Fortunately the second time the phone actually started to work in about 15 minutes or so after leaving the office.

Seville
06-21-2014, 08:18 PM
If you have not already registered your phone, when you hit the ground in the next month and before you register it...you might still be able to use it to receive calls and texts but not make calls and texts. Had I owned an Orange sim, I could have registered it in most company stores, but that is not the case for Claro where you have to go to their main regional office. I am going to get a second sim in my dual sim card phone (Orange or Viva). I wonder what kind of signal Viva has up on the north coast? I will have to ask around... Anyways below is my phone/DR story...

I drove from Cabarete to Puerto Plata to register my pre paid phone and do some other things about five days before the June 12 deadline. They registered it for me in the computer and all seemed fine for two days after the deadline. However on June 16th the phone stopped working. I could still receive phone calls and texts but could not make phone calls or make a text. I went to the Claro offices in Cabarete and Sosua and they both told me my phone was activated and should work but that they could not help me and I had to go back to Puerto Plata to the main office to find out what happened. I went to the main office for the second time a few days later and waited in line for about 45 minutes. A nice woman registered my phone and told me it would take about 30 minutes to be re-activated. I asked what happened and she did not know...she just said "something happened" So I left hoping I would not have to return. Fortunately the second time the phone actually started to work in about 15 minutes or so after leaving the office.

I have one claro number that is on a monthly plan so no problem there. I have an Orange sim and another Claro sim that are not registered in my name. Neither has stopped working yet. No way I am going to Puerto Plata and do that wait in line BS. If it comes down to it I will just get new sim cards in my name.

bailar
06-21-2014, 09:12 PM
I have one claro number that is on a monthly plan so no problem there. I have an Orange sim and another Claro sim that are not registered in my name. Neither has stopped working yet. No way I am going to Puerto Plata and do that wait in line BS. If it comes down to it I will just get new sim cards in my name.

The last sim card I bought was 100 pesos or maybe it was 300 pesos. Either way, not worth a special trip to POP unless you need to keep your number.

psriches
07-01-2014, 08:10 PM
I was just there June 23rd. My cell and orange sim worked just fine. I made calls, received calls, text, etc. Does that mean they just haven't gotten to my sim card number yet??

Seville
07-01-2014, 08:44 PM
I was just there June 23rd. My cell and orange sim worked just fine. I made calls, received calls, text, etc. Does that mean they just haven't gotten to my sim card number yet??

I think it depends. I bought an Orange sim on the beach last year, not registered to me or anyone else. That was cancelled around June 25 or so. I have a Claro Sim that is not registered to me but is registered to some chica I have never met. I have received messages to "validate" my number several times but it has not been blocked in any way. Still works fine; for now.

SrSuerte
07-03-2014, 02:09 PM

my phone also worked until last week but no biggie. I would rather get a new one than go to pop like mentioned earlier.

j_d66
07-03-2014, 04:55 PM
I just got back.
Was there June 26-July 2 and here is how it worked out for me.

I have a claro sim card that I originally bought and registered with my passport at the Claro store by Bailey's a couple of years ago.
I have been keeping it active by topping it off through callingmart.com every 60 days and it has been working fine and I have never lost any of my accumulated balance.

Upon my arrival on the 26 it was active and showing I still had my balance but my phone would not let me make and receive calls, send text messages or use data for internet.

I initially made the decision that I would not incur the time or cost drive to Puerto Plata and get it registered at the Claro store there.

I went to the Orange store in Sosua by Banco Popular to get a new sim and was not able to get one because their system for registering foreign passport numbers was not functional that day and was told to come back the next day.

The next day they told me it was working for a short time but was again not functioning and I would not be able to purchase and register a sim card with them until it started working again.

Frustrated I decided to go to the Claro store by Bailey's to see if there were any options. I was thinking perhaps I could get a new sim card and than transfer my balance to the new account and do all of this without having to go to PP to register it.

As luck would have it I happened to have a Dominican amiga with me that I trust somewhat and the gentleman allowed me to register my phone number off from her cedula.

Presto, 20 minutes later my phone was working fine.
I could make and receive calls, send and receive texts and access the internet and my complete balance on my account was available to me. :clap::ilike:

Now granted the account is not registered to me but I don't really care as I will be able to use it as before and if it ever gets shut down I will do something else.

The amiga is on Orange and has no idea what my balance is so my balance should be safe

Problem solved and all without a trip to PP.

This method may not work for everyone but it worked for me :D

So there are options

Hunter
07-03-2014, 05:02 PM
I had that exact same issue JD....I was like wtf no store would give me a sim card...the airport or all stores in boca.

My amiga put it on her account and I got a sim also....

Not good....Hope they fix those computers

davemaryland
07-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Thanks, JD and Hunter for the update. I will be in Boca Sunday. And was planning just to get a new number in my name.

Ram
07-04-2014, 05:11 AM
I am with Orange. When I arrived about a week ago, I went to the store next to Banco Popular. I stood in the line for 45 minutes, my turn an they told me the passport system was not working, come back in 3 days. I went back last Friday and big surprise, the system was still not working, he said to come back on Monday. I left there and went to Playero to get some food. I noticed there was no one at the Orange booth there so I asked the girl if she could fix my sim....she said yes. She looked at my card and it was registered to some Dominican guy. She said she could change it over but she needed things like, an address, the last 3 numbers I had called and it would take about an hour. I asked her if I could buy a new sim instead....10 minutes later I had a new card and number registered to my passport.

Note: a buddy went today to the Orange store in Playero and they told him the passport system is down there.....

twodogs
07-04-2014, 07:43 PM
I just got back.

I have a claro sim card that I originally bought and registered with my passport at the Claro store by Bailey's a couple of years ago.
I have been keeping it active by topping it off through callingmart.com every 60 days and it has been working fine and I have never lost any of my accumulated balance.

Upon my arrival on the 26 it was active and showing I still had my balance but my phone would not let me make and receive calls, send text messages or use data for internet.

I initially made the decision that I would not incur the time or cost drive to Puerto Plata and get it registered at the Claro store there.

I went to the Orange store in Sosua by Banco Popular to get a new sim and was not able to get one because their system for registering foreign passport numbers was not functional that day and was told to come back the next day.

The next day they told me it was working for a short time but was again not functioning and I would not be able to purchase and register a sim card with them until it started working again.

Frustrated I decided to go to the Claro store by Bailey's to see if there were any options. I was thinking perhaps I could get a new sim card and than transfer my balance to the new account and do all of this without having to go to PP to register it.

As luck would have it I happened to have a Dominican amiga with me that I trust somewhat and the gentleman allowed me to register my phone number off from her cedula.

I could make and receive calls, send and receive texts and access the internet and my complete balance on my account was available to me. :clap::ilike:

Now granted the account is not registered to me but I don't really care as I will be able to use it as before and if it ever gets shut down I will do something else.

The amiga is on Orange and has no idea what my balance is so my balance should be safe

So there are options

Well, yes, you have a cell and it works.
But, legally the cell and # is hers. Who cares.
When you make a call and receive a call, guess who shows up
on the display window? Your chica amiga.
But WTF it works.

questner
07-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Question, if it is a prepaid number in someone's name and has low balance, are there any risks? Here is NA it's called a fuckphone sort of.

j_d66
07-05-2014, 01:32 AM
Well, yes, you have a cell and it works.
But, legally the cell and # is hers. Who cares.
When you make a call and receive a call, guess who shows up
on the display window? Your chica amiga.
But WTF it works.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by a display window?

I would not say the cell phone legally belongs to her and never will.
It is the sim card which contains the number and not the phone that is registered to her.
That sim card can be moved to any phone that it will fit and it will work instantly.

The phone works and it was done with little hassle which was my goal and I accomplished that.

Just letting others know there are options.

Clearly this method is not going to work for everyone as I would not do it with just any chica off the street.

MrHappy
07-05-2014, 08:49 AM
I guess I don't understand what you mean by a display window?

I would not say the cell phone legally belongs to her and never will.
It is the sim card which contains the number and not the phone that is registered to her.
That sim card can be moved to any phone that it will fit and it will work instantly.

The phone works and it was done with little hassle which was my goal and I accomplished that.

Just letting others know there are options.

Clearly this method is not going to work for everyone as I would not do it with just any chica off the street.

The display window means the cel ph. screen.

To be honest with you.. The gov't just wants to have a name associated with a cel phone number. That's all it is. Obviously, they don't care what kind of cel phone it is. They want to stop the nonsense of anonymous calls.

If you make a prank call to 911, they'll check the number, and they'll see it belongs to some girl. Why would anyone be worried about that?(except the girl maybe)

The 911 fiasco is one of the main reasons for doing the whole "register numbers" shit in the first place.

j_d66
07-05-2014, 11:58 AM
The display window means the cel ph. screen.

Thanks I thought that's what he meant.
In my experience the only time a name shows up with a number is if they are already in your contact list otherwise all you see is the number and no name.

BorisDaBulletDodger
07-05-2014, 02:23 PM
In my experience the only time a name shows up with a number is if they are already in your contact list otherwise all you see is the number and no name.

I think Verizon and perhaps other carriers do to, have a service where you pay for it and the name comes up even if you do not have their contact info saved. It works great with companies, LLCs etc I only noticed it when the free subscription ended and considering actually adding it to my bill since i don't like to pick up phone calls from people don't know

j_d66
07-05-2014, 03:18 PM
I think Verizon and perhaps other carriers do to, have a service where you pay for it and the name comes up even if you do not have their contact info saved. It works great with companies, LLCs etc I only noticed it when the free subscription ended and considering actually adding it to my bill since i don't like to pick up phone calls from people don't know

Ok thanks but we were talking about the Claro phone service

twodogs
07-05-2014, 06:14 PM

Try making some calls to anyone you know that has a newer cell. and see if her name shows up.
Text someone you know, if you use Whatsapp or Viber and see if her name shows up.
Obviously your # and her name will show up if you had to use 911.

j_d66
07-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Try making some calls to anyone you know that has a newer cell. and see if her name shows up.
Text someone you know, if you use Whatsapp or Viber and see if her name shows up.
Obviously your # and her name will show up if you had to use 911.

Bud I think you are somewhat confused.
This is a Claro Dominican sim card not a US based sim card being used in an iphone 4s

Once you leave the Claro Dominican airspace they dont work anymore.

A text sent from Claro phone to US phone which I did when I was there in order to see that the phone was operational comes up as the name I have in my contact list on my phone.

Any other calls or text I would receive that were not in my contact list would only show the number, never a name.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't think it works that way.

Maybe on your US based phone but not in Dominicano land

martin0siddle
07-06-2014, 12:06 PM
(I have a claro and orange phone, my claro phone had stoped working. I had two choice:
- Go puerto plata and make the line under my name
- Find someone to do it for me.

I talked with motoconcho and he found some dominican with cedula to do it for me, 400 pesos and 3 minute later my phone was registred.

From what I heard at the claro store, the passport can have only 2 or 3 lines prepaid but the dominican with cedula have no limit of prepaid phone they can have on their name. Many dominican will accept to let you use their cedula for some pesos to register your phone ( I actually entered the claro store with the guy cedula by myself the guy at claro store didnt even care he just needed number of cedula). They are not losing anyhting by doing so.

And if you guys dont care about losing your number the german brother store are now again selling orange activated sim card(when the new rules had came they stoped for some days) for 100 pesos ( come with some minute on them, funny thing is i actually bought a orange sim card (for a chica) for 100 pesos and it had 125 peso on it.. i guess its mistake he sold me that one but anyway.)

davemaryland
07-07-2014, 06:04 PM
I just got back.

So there are options

Thanks again JD. When I arrived in Boca Chica Last night, my claro phone was blocked after a few years of use. I had a chica on the way to meet me. Thanks goodness for having a friend here. His phone was also block. But I used his chicas phone to set up the meet and later my chica sent a text to her, when she arrived at the hotel here in boca. This morning we went to the claro store and they said the same thing. Could not use my passport to set up a new number. So I now have a new number under my chicas cedula number. Now all is well.

j_d66
07-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks again JD. When I arrived in Boca Chica Last night, my claro phone was blocked after a few years of use. I had a chica on the way to meet me. Thanks goodness for having a friend here. His phone was also block. But I used his chicas phone to set up the meet and later my chica sent a text to her, when she arrived at the hotel here in boca. This morning we went to the claro store and they said the same thing. Could not use my passport to set up a new number. So I now have a new number under my chicas cedula number. Now all is well.

Glad it worked out for ya
Sometimes it's nice to have a friend there :corky:

Hunter
07-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Glad it worked out for ya
Sometimes it's nice to have a friend there :corky:

JD - Are our numbers good now going forward that we had our chicas register recently? Or will they be blocked if we don't use them? how long before they become blocked if we don't recharge them with pesos?

j_d66
07-07-2014, 06:56 PM
JD - Are our numbers good now going forward that we had our chicas register recently? Or will they be blocked if we don't use them? how long before they become blocked if we don't recharge them with pesos?

Well as far as I know those rules have not changed.

My understanding is that for

Claro you have 60 days to keep the balance from expiring and 120 days to keep from loosing the number.

Orange you have 120 days to keep from loosing the number. Not entirely remembering how many days you have with Orange to keep the balance from expiring but I seem to remember it being a little longer than Claro (Someone else can clarify that)

If you are in the country and have Claro you can dial *122# and it will tell you what your balance is and when it expires

With Orange I think it is 453 or *141*# to check your balance but not sure.

Ram
07-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Well as far as I know those rules have not changed.

My understanding is that for

Claro you have 60 days to keep the balance from expiring and 120 days to keep from loosing the number.

Orange you have 120 days to keep from loosing the number. Not entirely remembering how many days you have with Orange to keep the balance from expiring but I seem to remember it being a little longer than Claro (Someone else can clarify that)

If you are in the country and have Claro you can dial *122# and it will tell you what your balance is and when it expires

With Orange I think it is 453 or *141*# to check your balance but not sure.

Orange is *223* and you get a text back with your balance.

Seville
07-08-2014, 04:40 PM

I don't understand this. If that is the case how does anyone without a cedula obtain a phone here? If I arrive here for a 3 week vacation I can't use my passport to obtain a phone?:confused:

Hunter
07-08-2014, 04:44 PM
I don't understand this. If that is the case how does anyone without a cedula obtain a phone here? If I arrive here for a 3 week vacation I can't use my passport to obtain a phone?:confused:

It seems to me its a computer glitch that they haven't worked out yet....Hey Dawson..get down there...

davemaryland
07-08-2014, 06:59 PM

Yes, its a computer glitch that they haven't worked out yet.

Irie
07-08-2014, 07:31 PM

Of course not.......you know better. Just use my tactic and borrow a friends. :p

Dick Dawson
07-09-2014, 12:53 AM
It seems to me its a computer glitch that they haven't worked out yet....Hey Dawson..get down there...

There's no fixing incompetence, which always seems to be in abundance down there.

Old school
07-10-2014, 12:39 AM
I was in Puerto Plata in mid June and both my Claro and Orange numbers worked fine.
Both were obtained with my passport at the stores in Sosua about three years ago.
I also have a unregistered Claro card from the street and it also worked last trip.
I always keep them topped up via babblebug.com.
Next Wednesday I fly into Las Americas for a trip to La Romana. I desperatly need my phones data connections to work for buisness.

Will I need to re-register the sim cards, thst were origionaly purchased with my passport?

Does anybody know if there is a Orange and Claro store at the airport?

If neccessary, will I be able to purchase new cards with my passport?

My favorita will surely get me the new cards on her cedula if neccessary. I just hate to put them in her name and also dont want to loose my numbers.

Thnx..!!!

MrHappy
07-10-2014, 10:07 AM
I was in Puerto Plata in mid June and both my Claro and Orange numbers worked fine.
Both were obtained with my passport at the stores in Sosua about three years ago.
I also have a unregistered Claro card from the street and it also worked last trip.
Next Wednesday I fly into Las Americas for a trip to La Romana. I desperatly need my phones data connections to work for buisness.

Will I need to re-register the sim cards, thst were origionaly purchased with my passport?

My favorita will surely get me the new cards on her cedula if neccessary. I just hate to put them in her name and also dont want to loose my numbers.

Thnx..!!!

The entire reason for all of this is to have a verified name for each number. If you bought yours with your passport as ID, it's a safe guess it's registered in your name already, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

If they do suspend it, just call customer service and tell them and you should get it back up and running

j_d66
07-10-2014, 10:19 AM
The entire reason for all of this is to have a verified name for each number. If you bought yours with your passport as ID, it's a safe guess it's registered in your name already, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

If they do suspend it, just call customer service and tell them and you should get it back up and running

It makes sense but I don't think it is working that way.
I purchased my sim card in a Claro store in Sosua 2 years ago and at that time it was registered in my name with my American passport.

Upon my arrival the end of June my Claro phone was not functional.

Your case might be different but be prepared for it to not work when you arrive.

MrHappy
07-10-2014, 10:29 AM
I purchased my sim card in a Claro store in Sosua 2 years ago and at that time it was registered in my name with my American passport.

Your case might be different but be prepared for it to not work when you arrive.

Right. That's why I said "shouldn't" instead of "betting my life"

I mentioned before that I had a problem with all 60+ phones I have in my name with Claro and Orange. One phone call to each phone company rectified the situation. Both companies resolved the problem in less than 5 minutes.

I think they went a little overboard on shutting down numbers.

ezsmile
07-10-2014, 07:12 PM

The way I understand it is that your number (sim) is now suspended until you re-register it. I have been told that with Claro, even a foreigner can do it on line with their passport, but who knows if that is true. The latest story I heard was that the system was now overloaded and not working. Whether true or not, it is believable.

BorisDaBulletDodger
07-10-2014, 09:04 PM
The way I understand it is that your number (sim) is now suspended until you re-register it. I have been told that with Claro, even a foreigner can do it on line with their passport, but who knows if that is true. The latest story I heard was that the system was now overloaded and not working. Whether true or not, it is believable.

I tried typing in my PP# or phone # in Número de documento
Claro won't let me go any further

EZETOP took my $5 though I'm taking a few dollar gamble to see if it works

Old school
07-22-2014, 02:47 AM
Just back from a week in Santo Domingo. At Las Americas airport it took only minutes to confirm both my Claro and Orange sim cards. Both numbers worked on my June trip but would not work when I landed this time. Both are numbers I have had for three years and were origionaly registered with my passport. Interestingly neither store even looked at my passport. They typed in my number, my name came up. They asked me if the name was correct. I said correct. They typed a few keys on their laptop and presto the cards worked again.
My favorita brought me new cards just in case. She put them in her name. She was complaining because they told her she can only have three numbers now.

mrblackluv
07-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Same happened to me on a recent trip.
My sim was purchased in the store using my passport maybe 2 years ago, but did not work on arrival.

Stopped at the store in the airport. Was told I would have to go to the main office, but when I questioned that...she typed a few keys, and told me I would be good within the hour. 5 minutes later I was good to go.

BorisDaBulletDodger
07-22-2014, 09:51 PM
Just back from a week in Santo Domingo. At Las Americas airport it took only minutes to confirm both my Claro and Orange sim cards. Both numbers worked on my June trip but would not work when I landed this time. Both are numbers I have had for three years and were origionaly registered with my passport. Interestingly neither store even looked at my passport. They typed in my number, my name came up. They asked me if the name was correct. I said correct. They typed a few keys on their laptop and presto the cards worked again.
My favorita brought me new cards just in case. She put them in her name. She was complaining because they told her she can only have three numbers now.

Same happened to me on a recent trip.
My sim was purchased in the store using my passport maybe 2 years ago, but did not work on arrival.

Stopped at the store in the airport. Was told I would have to go to the main office, but when I questioned that...she typed a few keys, and told me I would be good within the hour. 5 minutes later I was good to go.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll still keep adding $5 every few months via ezetop, I'll take the gamble:rofl::rofl:

psriches
07-23-2014, 01:01 AM
I was just there June 23rd. My cell and orange sim worked just fine. I made calls, received calls, text, etc. Does that mean they just haven't gotten to my sim card number yet??My orange sim was finally suspended this past week. I went to the Orange store over by banco poplar. The chica clicked a few keys on the computer and I was back up and running. She didn't even ask for my ID. It took all of one minute and eleven seconds. And the sim isn't even registered in my name.

Irie
09-02-2014, 07:36 AM
Same here as some of the previously mentioned. I have an Orange sim I purchased years back in my name. I arrived and put some minutes on it at a pharmacy, but calls/texts wouldn't go through. I went to the Orange store in Sosua and told them it wasn't working. After punching my number in the computer, he verified my name, punched a few more keys, and all was good again...........no identification needed.

trymounting
09-05-2014, 09:47 AM

Thnx..!!!

how was la romana?

Hunter
06-04-2015, 02:49 PM
Question:

Will my Claro DR Sim work from September 2014 when I arrive in July 2015? That was last time I used it.

My girl registered it in Boca I remember because that was when this new rule thing was going on. So if they ask me to verify my name that isnt going to work..lol...

Any of you guys get an 8 month old SIM working after you landed?

Its not a big deal...I can just buy a new...dont really need that number.

Jimmydr
06-05-2015, 09:51 AM
Question:

Will my Claro DR Sim work from September 2014 when I arrive in July 2015? That was last time I used it.

My girl registered it in Boca I remember because that was when this new rule thing was going on. So if they ask me to verify my name that isnt going to work..lol...

Any of you guys get an 8 month old SIM working after you landed?

Its not a big deal...I can just buy a new...dont really need that number.

Load extra minutes for your buddy without a cell.:mrgreen:

psriches
03-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Do you still need to register with a passport when buying a new sim card????

tarzan
03-07-2016, 11:46 AM

Yes, but if you use the European guys who have the electronics store they'll do it using just a copy. The store moved last year, it's now located almost
across the liqueur store on pedro clisante.

Westy
03-07-2016, 03:55 PM
Well ... I just tried topping-up my Tigo Colombia SIM from last September (used Ezetop/Ding).

Tigo doesn't recognize my old number.

Anyone know if I can get a new sim in MDE Airport?

Jimmydr
03-07-2016, 08:04 PM
Well ... I just tried topping-up my Tigo Colombia SIM from last September (used Ezetop/Ding).

Anyone know if I can get a new sim in MDE Airport?

I don't think so, but you can get one in centro in the morning.

Jimmydr
03-07-2016, 08:04 PM

No they sell them everywhere.

psriches
03-07-2016, 09:42 PM
No they sell them everywhere.Jimmy, I think you need a passport/or copy in DR. Things have changed.

psriches
03-07-2016, 09:42 PM

Anyone know if I can get a new sim in MDE Airport?Yes, you can buy a sim at the airport.

psriches
03-07-2016, 09:45 PM
Yes, but if you use the European guys who have the electronics store they'll do it using just a copy. The store moved last year, it's now located almost
across the liqueur store on pedro clisante.But is everyone comfortable with their passport info in their system?? I guess we have no choice.

Jimmydr
03-07-2016, 09:51 PM
Jimmy, I think you need a passport/or copy in DR. Things have changed.

In Meddy I just bought a sim in Otober in Centro.

psriches
03-07-2016, 10:06 PM
In Meddy I just bought a sim in Otober in Centro.I bought a sim at the airport in November just because I wanted to make some calls on the way down the mountain.

psriches
03-08-2016, 11:52 PM
across the liqueur store on pedro clisante.Super Super ???

tarzan
03-09-2016, 04:09 PM
Super Super ???

Not sure what it's called, but if you're walking towards Passions on PC there's a small liqueur store on the left, just cross the street and there
are a few stores there, one is Electronics, you'll notice cell phones for sale, that's the German guys new place.

Irie
03-09-2016, 04:44 PM
But is everyone comfortable with their passport info in their system?? I guess we have no choice.

My number has been registered for six years now. Haven't had any problems so far.

Super Super ???

yes, Super Super.

Nick T
12-24-2016, 06:20 PM

I have a cheap Dominican cell phone and found it did not work when I returned to DR. My chica explained this situation to me. She took it to Orange, registered it in her name and we bought a new SIM card and I was "off to the races".