PDA

View Full Version : 12/2014 - Newbie in Santiago 1st + BB 2nd + Sosua 3rd

Hunk Chunk
12-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm new here and about to go to DR this Christmas. I will rent a car in Santiago for the duration of my stay. I would like to expand my experience without doing all of the country.

Here is my plan:

- Santiago if I can find some good addresses for bars, etc.

- BBs for several days of rest and relaxation with bedroom service

- Sosua for hardcore intense mongering

I have ZERO experience with DR. I have however the desire to know what can be known in this short period of time. This is why I am opting for three different approaches to rum, food, scenery and sites, not to mention chicas. I want them too, but that isn't the only thing I like. In Thailand half the fun is being there, even if you are busy as a bee. I want a similar experience of a country and its beauties.

If you have advice for any of these three venues, please POST AWAY !

HUNK

TNT72
12-02-2014, 08:04 PM
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!!

Post it once, not three times!

Irie
12-02-2014, 08:27 PM
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!!

Post it once, not three times!

Relax T. Some just need to ensure 'it' gets out to the masses. :eek:

(even better for those of us that need to hear things three times to remember :rofl::rofl::rofl:)

deezl
12-02-2014, 08:34 PM
If you have no experience in DR and speak no Spanish, you may wanna skip Santiago entirely.

If you do stay in Santiago you don't really need (and probably won't want) a car anyway. Taxis are cheap and plentiful.

I'd strongly advise against renting a car anyway. Really strongly. Vociferously, even. First trip - bad idea.

DR has the highest vehicle mortalityrate in the world.

Irie
12-02-2014, 08:44 PM
If you have no experience in DR and speak no Spanish, you may wanna skip Santiago entirely.

If you do stay in Santiago you don't really need (and probably won't want) a car anyway. Taxis are cheap and plentiful.

I'd strongly advise against renting a car anyway. Really strongly. Vociferously, even. First trip - bad idea.

DR has the highest vehicle mortalityrate in the world.

Let me get this straight, if I wanted to end it all Thailand is good for big jumps............um...........and the DR is good for 100kph through a tree, no? Third world has soooo much to offer. :wink:

Really though, don't do the driving thing first time out Hunk. They've got a whole different set of road rules down there.

el toro
12-02-2014, 09:54 PM
I can't even bring myself to say or type this dudes board name.

Like they said---Don't drive in DR on your first trip. Did that and wrecked that on my first trip and I have no problem driving anywhere else in the world.

Do yourself a favor and sign up for Trip Report access. It will be a wise investment.

tgunz
12-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Santiago is not very newbie friendly. It can be boring during the day. If your relying on car washes and the well known whore houses it very expensive. Imo cabs can add up quickly bouncing around from place to place. Everything is very spread out. Weekdays are especially slow.

Westy
12-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Let me get this straight, if I wanted to end it all Thailand is good for big jumps............um...........and the DR is good for 100kph through a tree, no? Third world has soooo much to offer. :wink:
I seem to remember hearing a lot about "The Pattaya Flying Club" on Stickman Weekly ... it didn't take me long at all to discard the impression that it was anything like the Andrews Air Force Base Flying Club, where I got my private pilot's license and my IFR rating. (That was 'interesting' - learning to fly at The President's Airport.)

Yeah, guys. In the DR, I'm glad to leave the driving to the Taxi Mafia, from POP airport to my lodgings. I'm not too uncomfortable with the publicos between Sosua and Puerto Plata, but I'll be damned if I'd ever rent a car or even a moto in the Dominican Republic.

(Fortunately, if I'm staying in the Su, or even at Barba Negra or FOD, there's no need to rent my own wheels!)

huskerdude
12-03-2014, 08:06 PM
As others have said, do not drive in the DR as a newbie. There are no rules driving there, no stay on your side of the street, no red light stops, etc,cops can pull you over for nothing and get a bribe from you not to take you to jail. BB is a really great place to start as it is really simple to get a variety of girls, and no spanish needed. There is a beach and several outside restaurants near BB.

MH16
12-03-2014, 08:46 PM
As someone with no experience in the DR, was there any particular reason for that route: Santiago to BB to Sosua?

"I have however the desire to know what can be known in this short period of time. "

Trip reports will help... especially those reports with graphics between the text :rofl:

JD426
12-04-2014, 12:05 AM
As someone with no experience in the DR, was there any particular reason for that route: Santiago to BB to Sosua?

"I have however the desire to know what can be known in this short period of time. "

Trip reports will help... especially those reports with graphics between the text :rofl:

Probably just cuz his flight lands at STI, and he figures he would just simply rent a Car and work his way to Puerto Plata and then Sosua..

H Chunk,
Please add me to the list of people who are telling you point blank , BAD IDEA to rent a car and drive on your very first trip.

Not suggesting you dont have good driving skills , but because Dominicans are crazy ass fucking aggressive drivers, and renting a car when you have absolutely ZERO experience is just not a good idea.. for so many reasons i could not even begin to list them.

but, if you do, make sure you have insurance.
as many of us have said on this topic on other threads, IF you were like a pro CDL driver, or limo driver, or at least rode a Motorcycle or motocross at some point in your life,, then YES.. you might be totally OK...
But if your only driving experience is like to work and around town with your buds.. I would say re think it,

we each learn at our own pace.. so whatever makes you happy..
it will certainly be an Adrenalin Rush, your first time driving , thats for sure.
Make sure you come back and tell us about it.. we love stories..

Best of luck..

CentralNJDude
12-04-2014, 01:46 AM
Maybe H Chunk is a new addition to the Marvel Comics Super people that you folks dont know about?:mrgreen:

On a different note; I did drive from the NG to the Santiago Country Club the first time I was in DR on my cherry golfing/mongering trip. Keep in mind that I have driven in England, India, the middle east before I signed up to drive for this golfing gig. The laws of chaos theory are put to shame on the roads, leave it at that..

Dave Diaz
12-04-2014, 06:14 AM
Maybe H Chunk is a new addition to the Marvel Comics Super people that you folks dont know about?:mrgreen:

On a different note; I did drive from the NG to the Santiago Country Club the first time I was in DR on my cherry golfing/mongering trip. Keep in mind that I have driven in England, India, the middle east before I signed up to drive for this golfing gig. The laws of chaos theory are put to shame on the roads, leave it at that..

:rofl: DR coming in 1st place!!

They drive like there are no rules at all in DR.

uncle ruckus
12-04-2014, 07:56 PM
:rofl: DR coming in 1st place!!

They drive like there are no rules at all in DR.

It's an exhilarating blend of defensive/offensive driving. It's a combination of sensing the weakness/craziness on the face of the other driver and knowing when to treat him like your bitch or when it's your turn to be the bitch. It's being constantly prepared for the completely unexpected stupid action to happen and then just laughing it off when it actually does. It's a roller-coaster without a harness.

Needless to say, I love driving in the DR. There's no other adrenaline rush like it.

deezl
12-04-2014, 08:26 PM
It's an exhilarating blend of defensive/offensive driving. It's a combination of sensing the weakness/craziness on the face of the other driver and knowing when to treat him like your bitch or when it's your turn to be the bitch. It's being constantly prepared for the completely unexpected stupid action to happen and then just laughing it off when it actually does. It's a roller-coaster without a harness.

Needless to say, I love driving in the DR. There's no other adrenaline rush like it.

One of the more exciting things is going up a mountain road in a line of cars behind a big, slow moving truck. In a normal world, you'd wait for each of the cars in front of you to find their opportunity to go into the oncoming traffic lane and get in front of the beast, but in the DR there'll be guys 5 cars behind you who just say 'fuck this', start passing cars on the left, then cut back in (usually at the last second) when oncoming traffic gets too close (and you know those oncoming cars NEVER slow down). And if the guy in the right lane (more appropriately described as 'the lane you're supposed to be in') isn't paying attention to what the guy to the left of him is doing (or just plays the 'fuck you' card) and doesn't give him the space to cut back in - you got yourself a head-on collision (or at least a near miss).

Driving through the mountains in the pitch black in the rain - that I could do without.

snoozer
12-04-2014, 09:28 PM

I agree. You become a much better driver when you drive in the DR. You have to be much more aware of what is going on around you, anything or anyone can do something unpredictable at any time!!!!

BigLongBeach
12-05-2014, 06:55 AM
Driving is easy in dom rep, nothing will happen

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?411795-BLB-s-Near-Death-Experience-in-Santo-Domingo

ezsmile
12-05-2014, 12:33 PM
And the Dominican driving habits are rubbing off on the extranjeros as well.

Last trip I was in a car pulling out left onto the main Sosua highway, this extranjero pulls up on his motorcycle and stops on our driver's side front bumper. Once the road cleared and thankfully before we pulled out, he turned RIGHT, across our nose.

Fortunately Choirboy was driving, and he has been there so long that now he knows that in Sosua the other driver will ALWAYS do the stupid shit. Knock on wood.

snoozer
12-05-2014, 07:50 PM
And the Dominican driving habits are rubbing off on the extranjeros as well.

Last trip I was in a car pulling out left onto the main Sosua highway, this extranjero pulls up on his motorcycle and stops on our driver's side front bumper. Once the road cleared and thankfully before we pulled out, he turned RIGHT, across our nose.

Fortunately Choirboy was driving, and he has been there so long that now he knows that in Sosua the other driver will ALWAYS do the stupid shit. Knock on wood.

That is not just unique to Sosua, even worse in the cities. Try taking a taxi in SD and tell him you are in a hurry...you will age 10 years during the ride !!!!

LJDMV
12-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Seems like you guys scared him off this thread..

deezl
12-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Seems like you guys scared him off this thread..

he hasn't been back since he posted so i think we can just go ahead and ignore the thread entirely.

mangoeater
08-11-2015, 05:49 PM
A little update on Santiago. 8-11-2015

Santiago sucks for putas. Prices are about double Sosua and etc. There are business guys dropping 3k dop regularly and that has kind of set the price [the starting ask anyway] and screwed up expectations on the putas part. Can you get cheaper? yeah, but uglier and much more hassle than Boca or Sosua.

And dudes, don't bother with Santiago unless you speak spanish. I was at a hotel with one of my wifies, and I met a dude from Canada there. Walking around with a boner looking for action. He kinda asked me where he could get one [like my wifey]. I asked him if he speaks spanish, "No". Then he asked for some casas references. I said, "Dude, go to Sosua. Cheaper and better for what you are looking for. About 5 bucks on a bus and a couple hours, and you'll be set."

uncle ruckus
08-16-2015, 06:53 PM
A little update on Santiago. 8-11-2015

Santiago sucks for putas. Prices are about double Sosua and etc. There are business guys dropping 3k dop regularly and that has kind of set the price [the starting ask anyway] and screwed up expectations on the putas part. Can you get cheaper? yeah, but uglier and much more hassle than Boca or Sosua.

And dudes, don't bother with Santiago unless you speak spanish. I was at a hotel with one of my wifies, and I met a dude from Canada there. Walking around with a boner looking for action. He kinda asked me where he could get one [like my wifey]. I asked him if he speaks spanish, "No". Then he asked for some casas references. I said, "Dude, go to Sosua. Cheaper and better for what you are looking for. About 5 bucks on a bus and a couple hours, and you'll be set."

Agree completely. Just skip Santiago altogether. I've been saying this for years here. There's no need for the headache. Leave Santiago to the locals and businessmen that don't care all that much about how much the girls are asking and those suckers that are putting in work on Facebook and Instagram to get it for cheap.

The Sage
08-16-2015, 07:53 PM
I'm reminded of the time I went to Santiago with a Dominican friend who was renting an apartment there. He had a buscone bring over a gang of chicks. He warned me that they were going to be expensive. Girls show up. I gravitate towards the beauty of the bunch. We're laughing and flirting. I cut a deal for half the price my friend said it was going to cost. Alas it was not to be the case. Another gringo who was with us went gaga for the girl and offered to pay twice as much as the deal I had arranged. Obviously god don't like ugly because her period came that night and homeboy woke up in a puddle of blood. Poetic justice as far as I was concerned.

TNT72
08-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Agree completely. Just skip Santiago altogether. I've been saying this for years here. There's no need for the headache. Leave Santiago to the locals and businessmen that don't care all that much about how much the girls are asking and those suckers that are putting in work on Facebook and Instagram to get it for cheap.

:rofl::rofl:

Greedy ass!:rofl:

whynotme
08-16-2015, 08:18 PM

only 200 posts to go:iconTU:

uncle ruckus
08-19-2015, 11:57 AM

LMAO!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Only you are paying that much attention!

The Sage
08-19-2015, 02:09 PM
He wasn't the only one who noticed. I think most of the rest of us decided to ignore your ass. However, for a lot of us your advice to avoid STI was spot on. The place seems to only work for most if you got an in or spent hours hunting game online. Outside of that, even you have said, it's an expensive place to find P4P.

LMAO!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Only you are paying that much attention!