PDA

View Full Version : 12/2014 - Amber Cove ??? How long will this last ???

gulfmariner
12-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Carnival sent this to me today, the newest destination for there cruises. Looks like they are pushing or selling PP , bars and pools , lounging and shopping ??, the malicon and Ocean World, I'd be willing to bet that no passengers make it east of Playa Dorada if even that far.

Westy
12-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Carnal Cruise Lines tries to cater to a younger crowd - I say "tries to," at least by their marketing. (The parent corporation, Carnival Corporation & PLC, holds a constellation of cruise lines for all crowds and markets: Holland America, Princess, Seabourn, Cunard, P&O, Costa, Aida, and P&O Australia. "Up to you, sir.")

I can see the possibility - the possibility, mind you - of "Discover Scuba Diving" in Sosua Bay, or of "Introduction to Windsurfing/Kitesurfing" in Cabarete. I can also see the probability that one of those big party catamarans will move to Amber Cove, and I'd bet they'll bring a "Pirate Rum Cruise" to Amber Cove as well - why bring the tourists to the boat when you can bring the boat to the tourists? And why should the cruise-tourists to go Sosua when they can loll on the beach at Puerto Plata, or maybe even at Amber Cove?

MrHappy
12-24-2014, 09:41 AM
Carnal Cruise Lines tries to cater to a younger crowd - I say "tries to," at least by their marketing. (The parent corporation, Carnival Corporation & PLC, holds a constellation of cruise lines for all crowds and markets: Holland America, Princess, Seabourn, Cunard, P&O, Costa, Aida, and P&O Australia. "Up to you, sir.")

I can see the possibility - the possibility, mind you - of "Discover Scuba Diving" in Sosua Bay, or of "Introduction to Windsurfing/Kitesurfing" in Cabarete. I can also see the probability that one of those big party catamarans will move to Amber Cove, and I'd bet they'll bring a "Pirate Rum Cruise" to Amber Cove as well - why bring the tourists to the boat when you can bring the boat to the tourists? And why should the cruise-tourists to go Sosua when they can loll on the beach at Puerto Plata, or maybe even at Amber Cove?

With a minimal effort, Maimon Beach could be a really nice beach. Secluded with a few nice rum shacks and a restaurant or two would be a nice touch.

jose1234
12-24-2014, 10:00 AM
With a minimal effort, Maimon Beach could be a really nice beach. Secluded with a few nice rum shacks and a restaurant or two would be a nice touch.

I was there a few months ago looking at the bay where the dock is. There is no sand there. None. It will have to be trucked in and an artificial beach made in the bay. The curise company has bought a lot of the land around the bay so they can build and control some of the beach bars and they plan on making a nice sidewalk along the bay so tourists can walk around and get the illusion that they are in village. However, a couple blocks to the west is the Maimon town and their famous fish dinners, casseroles and salads... I hear that the ships have made arrangements with the neighboring Rui resort to take many of the guests who want to have a beach for an afternoon. Their location is just outside the bay extending to the east and the sand is said to be good there. How many people will travel a significant ways away from there is yet to be seen. Downtown Puerto Plata is still a bit run down although there has been work on some bars along the Malecon and the old fort area.

daddyooo
01-21-2015, 08:01 PM
113856 A recent view of the cruise port, Amber Cove. Picture by Rex Beesley of "Fly for Fun"

daddyooo
01-21-2015, 08:02 PM
A little more info here..... http://villataina.com/amber-cove-dominican-republic/

daddyooo
01-21-2015, 08:04 PM
No mention of nightly excursions to beautiful downtown Sosua.

Westy
01-21-2015, 08:48 PM
A while back, I put their "Artist's Conception" of the plans into a Google Earth view of Maimon ...

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=93931&d=1390938829

With Carnival Holdings' cash in the project, they'd have no problem whatsoever dredging sand from out in the harbor (or beneath the cruise-ship berths) and making a nice beach on the Maimon Bay shoreline. They could fix up something like Princess Cruises' "Labadee" on the northwest coast of Haiti, a safe controlled Disneyfied Dominican Beach experience for the un-adventurous and the buffet bulk-loaders.

Don't know how the coral is in Maimon Bay, but it doesn't take much to entertain the snorkelers from the big party-catamarans or the "pirate-rum party boat cruise" vessels. And there are plenty of other things to amuse the more adventurous passengers. How about a trip to Damajagua Falls? Or the cable-car ride to the top of Mt. Isabel de Torres? Or a Fortaleza/Amber Museum/Malecon tour, with an 'almuerzo tipico' at a palm-thatched, open-air, seaside restaurant ... that someone 'on the inside' would be perfectly happy to build to suit?

The Carnival 'Victory' is supposed to be the first ship to dock at Amber Cove (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-carnival-amber-cove-20141216-story.html), on October 6, sailing from Miami. The linked story refers to 37 visits in the 2015-2016 season, with a total of about 100,000 day-trippers - that is to say, 37 days when a Carnal Cruise Lines vessel will be in port, from October 2015 to April 2016; once a week, with a few weeks of twice a week. Damn-near-all of the passengers will either take a "Carnival tour," with an operator who's contracted with the line, or they'll lounge on the boat and whatever facilities Carnival provides for beach-lounging in Amber Cove or the Rui Resort. I have a fair level of confidence, as a past cruise-ship cruiser, that very few passengers will make their own way to their own tours for their own entertainment ... I was one of the very few, as a scuba diver on cruise-ships that didn't cater to scuba diving. (Example - on the last cruise of Commodore Cruise Lines' "Enchanted Isle," I provided information on scuba-diving operators to the captain of the ship, as a "special addendum for the DMA Notice to Mariners" - partially joking, because my agency was still called Defense Mapping Agency at the time. I've got some 8mm-video footage, somewhere, of him chasing a back-pedaling spiny lobster on a reef off Antigua; I should have sent it to Red Lobster, for a humorous ad about "You don't have to do this to get a great lobster dinner."

Unless Carnival's agents in Amber Cove set up a trip to Playa Sosua, very few cruise passengers will visit Playa Sosua. They'll go where the tours take them, and why haul them all the way to the Su when there are miles of nice beaches along the Malecon of Puerto Plata?

Oh - by the way, Daddyooo - there are three chances (fat, slim and none) that the Carnal boat will stay at Amber Cove later than 1700 local time. They'll want everyone back aboard before dinnertime, and I'd be willing to bet the price of a short-time dalliance at Blackbeard's that they'll proclaim their 'sail-away' time at 1600 local.

Hunter
09-03-2015, 12:24 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/09/03/amber-cove-cruise-port/71630154/

j_d66
09-03-2015, 03:18 PM
I find it very interesting that they would build Bungalows for rent right on the property

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/ab4a85c305fb6faf956c361e84d614874c38d17e/c=119-0-1981-1400&r=x513&c=680x510/local/-/media/2015/09/02/USATODAY/USATODAY/635767978892545325-5x7-32130.jpg

I have been to many cruise ports and have never seen anything like that

Makes you wonder what the intended use for them will be.

Or how they might end up being used :corky::corky:

I wonder how much effort they will put into keeping chicas off the property.

Amber Cove looks nice and most passengers will never leave the Amber Cove compound.

So most will never really see what the DR is really like.

j_d66
09-03-2015, 03:50 PM
If anyone is interested here is the port schedule

http://www.ambercove.com/Port-Schedule.aspx

The Adiona cruise which someone talked about in a previous thread does not start until April

Hunter
09-03-2015, 04:46 PM
If anyone is interested here is the port schedule

http://www.ambercove.com/Port-Schedule.aspx

The Adiona cruise which someone talked about in a previous thread does not start until April

If somebody could get a hold of the 40 on-shore trips they are going to offer would be interesting.

Trip #39 - Visit Blackbeards and go back to ship smiling :lol:

steviewonder
09-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Amber Cove latest photos....

Hunter
09-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Found the shore excursions...30 of them...there is tour to sosua beach but no blackbeards :wink:

http://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/amber-cove-dominican-republic

daddyooo
09-04-2015, 03:56 PM
http://villataina.com/first-peek-amber-cove/

daddyooo
09-04-2015, 03:57 PM
http://villataina.com/carnival-fathom/

MrHappy
09-04-2015, 05:20 PM
I was there a few months ago looking at the bay where the dock is. There is no sand there. None. It will have to be trucked in and an artificial beach made in the bay. The curise company has bought a lot of the land around the bay so they can build and control some of the beach bars and they plan on making a nice sidewalk along the bay so tourists can walk around and get the illusion that they are in village. However, a couple blocks to the west is the Maimon town and their famous fish dinners, casseroles and salads... I hear that the ships have made arrangements with the neighboring Rui resort to take many of the guests who want to have a beach for an afternoon. Their location is just outside the bay extending to the east and the sand is said to be good there. How many people will travel a significant ways away from there is yet to be seen. Downtown Puerto Plata is still a bit run down although there has been work on some bars along the Malecon and the old fort area.

Yep. The sand is further south starting just before the outlet of the Maimon river.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=93931&d=1390938829

My old house and farm here ^^ My land is bordered by the road you see going back to that area.

uncle ruckus
09-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Found the shore excursions...30 of them...there is tour to sosua beach but no blackbeards :wink:

http://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/amber-cove-dominican-republic

Some notes on the excursions:

1. "Paradise Island" is Cayo Arena. Cayo Arena is absolutely stunning. Everyone should try to go there once before it disappears within 5-10 years due to global warming
2. It sucks that Lifestyles whored itself out for day passes for cruisers. I might cancel my membership if every time I want to go I have to deal with a shipload of gringos
3. I hope they rehabilitated the Fortaleza. Last time I was there it was a complete wreck
4. I'm interested in the reaction of the Punta Rucia landowners to all their new visitors. There's lots of very rich people that bought very nice oceanfront homes on Punta Rucia very specifically because not that many people go to it. If there are suddenly busloads of tourists going to the beach, there's going to be some upset, powerful Dominicans.
5. What the fuck is Coconut Cove? What's the actual name of that resort?
6. There's an excursion to Sosua. That should be interesting!

minkyboodle
09-04-2015, 05:38 PM
I flew back on 9/2 and sat with two travel writers who had been flown in with a large group from carnival. They were very impressed sounds like Carnival and the North Coast are really pushing with all they have on this. They spoke of guided tours etc sounds like there will be very protected excursions. These people were very insulated from the goings on around them. They were very impressed. I can't remember the number of dollars they mentioned carnival is gambling on this but it was very very large. Talking to them made me a bit more optimistic for the people of the North Coast but as before, I don't see it impacting Sosua much. Can't remember all the details I was wiped from my trip, but they are definitely pushing publicity for the October opening.

Hunter
09-05-2015, 09:42 AM

1. "Paradise Island" is Cayo Arena. Cayo Arena is absolutely stunning. Everyone should try to go there once before it disappears within 5-10 years due to global warming
2. It sucks that Lifestyles whored itself out for day passes for cruisers. I might cancel my membership if every time I want to go I have to deal with a shipload of gringos
3. I hope they rehabilitated the Fortaleza. Last time I was there it was a complete wreck
4. I'm interested in the reaction of the Punta Rucia landowners to all their new visitors. There's lots of very rich people that bought very nice oceanfront homes on Punta Rucia very specifically because not that many people go to it. If there are suddenly busloads of tourists going to the beach, there's going to be some upset, powerful Dominicans.

Looks like it is just an exclusive beach. Do you know where Lighthouse mountain is? Go on a recon mission Cam :lol:

Visit the private Coconut Cove Beach property for an authentic beach experience. Experience the un-spoiled natural beauty of one of Puerto Plata’s hidden beaches. Enjoy the view of the beautiful blue ocean and white capped waves while lounging on the beach or take a dip in the warm Caribbean Sea, an indescribable feeling of total relaxation. Explore the rest of the property; take a short trek to the lighthouse mountain for a breathtaking pano-ramic view of the land, sea and the island’s coast line. Amenities include: beach cabana's, beach bar, waiter service, beach chairs, volleyball court, bathrooms, lockers, bar and covered seating area. Adjacent to the bluff, there will be hanging chairs and hammocks for guests to relax.

distantvoyeur
09-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Travel writers should be shot on sight. I've lost track of the number of times I visited "an iconic sight" to see a polished turd.
The writer who wrote the Lonely Planet Guide for one of the South American countries admitted that he had never been there once people proved it.
The cruise passengers are going to be underwhelmed by a lot of the DR and probably miss some of the best places since Carnival did not get a big slice of the action.
I'll stick to my own research and let the travel guides rot on the shelves.

I flew back on 9/2 and sat with two travel writers who had been flown in with a large group from carnival. They were very impressed sounds like Carnival and the North Coast are really pushing with all they have on this. They spoke of guided tours etc sounds like there will be very protected excursions.

minkyboodle
09-05-2015, 09:00 PM
I agree that relying on "travel writers" is folly. I was more just interested in their impressions of the dog and pony show they had been given. Seemed like they were happy don't know whats thats worth though....

Hunter
09-05-2015, 09:16 PM
I flew back on 9/2 and sat with two travel writers who had been flown in with a large group from carnival. They were very impressed sounds like Carnival and the North Coast are really pushing with all they have on this. They spoke of guided tours etc sounds like there will be very protected excursions. These people were very insulated from the goings on around them. They were very impressed. I can't remember the number of dollars they mentioned carnival is gambling on this but it was very very large. Talking to them made me a bit more optimistic for the people of the North Coast but as before, I don't see it impacting Sosua much. Can't remember all the details I was wiped from my trip, but they are definitely pushing publicity for the October opening.

85 million - holy crap I didnt think it was that much.

Here is new article I just found on USA Today....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/cruiselog/2015/09/04/cruise-port-amber-cove/71699378/

MrHappy
09-05-2015, 09:20 PM
85 million - holy crap I didnt think it was that much.

Here is new article I just found on USA Today....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/cruiselog/2015/09/04/cruise-port-amber-cove/71699378/

There is no way on this earth this is an 85 million dollar investment. Maybe 85 million pesos.

Hunter
09-05-2015, 09:24 PM
There is no way on this earth this is an 85 million dollar investment. Maybe 85 million pesos.

That is a Carnival Corp press release stating that amount. They are a public company so they cant really lie about things like that.

I agree though where did all that money get spent - 85 million USD damn....

distantvoyeur
09-05-2015, 10:00 PM
85 million dollars invested with kick backs, bribes and overruns

85 millions pesos of actual work

That would add up.....:rofl::rofl:

snoozer
09-06-2015, 02:58 PM
Looks like it is just an exclusive beach. Do you know where Lighthouse mountain is? Go on a recon mission Cam :lol:

Visit the private Coconut Cove Beach property for an authentic beach experience. Experience the un-spoiled natural beauty of one of Puerto Plata’s hidden beaches. Enjoy the view of the beautiful blue ocean and white capped waves while lounging on the beach or take a dip in the warm Caribbean Sea,an indescribable feeling of total relaxation. Explore the rest of the property; take a short trek to the lighthouse mountain for a breathtaking pano-ramic view of the land, sea and the island’s coast line. Amenities include: beach cabana's, beach bar, waiter service, beach chairs, volleyball court, bathrooms, lockers, bar and covered seating area. Adjacent to the bluff, there will be hanging chairs and hammocks for guests to relax.

Make that the Atlantic Ocean, Santo Domingo is on the Caribbean Sea. Does not sound so exotic in a travel brochure.

minkyboodle
10-10-2015, 02:26 PM
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything on the ground about this, the possibility of the bulldozing and building of the beach Plaza and Parking. Personally, I love Sosua Beach just the way it is, but it seems to cruise port seems to be bringing these plans to the head. I really have no idea of facts on the ground, just what I see online though...

Sosua Doesn't Meet the Standard Yet (Sosua News) (http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=4217&article=1)

[Excerpt]

But the president of ADSS, Mr. Andrés Pastoriza indicated that 95% of the differences have been resolved and that a solution soon will be found. Within two weeks, President Danilo Medina will visit the region and a complete plan for the modernization of Sosúa will be ready. The Minister of Tourism Francisco Javier Garcia has pledged that 300 million pesos has been made available to realize these plans for the establishment of the two shop plazas on the beach and a parking area.

j_d66
10-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything on the ground about this, the possibility of the bulldozing and building of the beach Plaza and Parking. Personally, I love Sosua Beach just the way it is, but it seems to cruise port seems to be bringing these plans to the head. I really have no idea of facts on the ground, just what I see online though...

Sosua Doesn't Meet the Standard Yet (Sosua News) (http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=4217&article=1)

[Excerpt]

But the president of ADSS, Mr. Andrés Pastoriza indicated that 95% of the differences have been resolved and that a solution soon will be found. Within two weeks, President Danilo Medina will visit the region and a complete plan for the modernization of Sosúa will be ready. The Minister of Tourism Francisco Javier Garcia has pledged that 300 million pesos has been made available to realize these plans for the establishment of the two shop plazas on the beach and a parking area.

This is the same plan they had over a year ago.
Heck they said they had the bulldozers all ready to go a year ago September but than the beach vendors put up a stink and it all fizzled away for awhile.

I showed the same article to my friend who has a bar on the beach last week and they were not aware of any kind of agreement or differences being resolved.

So again it is more than likely sosusanews blowing hot air.

As with every project in the DR I will believe it when I see it.

But there were some tourism officials in town touring the beach right before the cruise ship arrival on October 6

TNT72
10-10-2015, 03:45 PM
This is the same plan they had over a year ago.
Heck they said they had the bulldozers all ready to go a year ago September but than the beach vendors put up a stink and it all fizzled away for awhile.

I showed the same article to my friend who has a bar on the beach last week and they were not aware of any kind of agreement or differences being resolved.

So again it is more than likely sosusanews blowing hot air.

As with every project in the DR I will believe it when I see it.

But there were some tourism officials in town touring the beach right before the cruise ship arrival on October 6

I'd be willing to bet that one day, all the "renters" will be given a notice....... they have X amount of days to clear their stuff out (and it probably won't be very much time), and they'll just bulldoze it when they're damn well ready to. The renters can put up as much of a stink as they want, there is serious money behind this, and that's all that matters!
They'll do it quick without much notice to keep trouble down.

steviewonder
10-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Playa Alicia is being used for private beaching for all cruise passengers. Last Tuesday, Sosua was graced with 15 total passengers that enjoyed an exclusive Sosua beach experience at Pl. Alicia. I was told that 2 or 3 tourist decided to head to Sosua beach on their own via a port taxi. They were met at Sosua Beach by several Cestar police and given the VIP treatment. I can't imagine how much this day out In DR cost these tourist, but I'm sure the taxi guy was smiling from ear to ear. Now I know the numbers will increase as more and more cruises arrive in Amber Cove, but it will still need a ship to be in port for more then 8 hours for Sosua or Cabarete to really feel the impact.

http://sosuanews.com/mobi.php?id=4220&article=1

j_d66
10-11-2015, 01:35 AM
I'd be willing to bet that one day, all the "renters" will be given a notice....... they have X amount of days to clear their stuff out (and it probably won't be very much time), and they'll just bulldoze it when they're damn well ready to. The renters can put up as much of a stink as they want, there is serious money behind this, and that's all that matters!
They'll do it quick without much notice to keep trouble down.

Oh i think your right about that one

whats really sad if the numbers are true spending 300 million rd on a project for what ultimately will amount to benefiting a pretty limited number of tourists

seems like the 300 million could be spent in a much better manner that would benefit the quality of life for alot of dominican people but maybe they would waste it to

steviewonder
10-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Oh i think your right about that one whats really sad if the numbers are true spending 300 million rd on a project for what ultimately will amount to benefiting a pretty limited number of tourists

seems like the 300 million could be spent in a much better manner that would benefit the quality of life for a lot of Dominican people but maybe they would waste it to

They have been promising this 300 mil for years now, just like the funds that were put aside for a major Sosua public hospital 4 yrs ago. If you know the way things work around here, 100 mil was already spent on road work, etc for the city. 200 mil for the greedy assholes that were elected, which leaves nothing in the coffers for future development. No es mi culpa:rolleyes:

hugrad95a
10-11-2015, 12:15 PM

http://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/amber-cove/santiago-insider-with-lunch-445008

I see you getting your hustle on Mano.... Lunch with Santiago Insider...Jajaja. 60 dollars isnt a bad price for a ride to STI. lunch and a trip to the cigar factory...

hugrad95a
10-11-2015, 12:24 PM

Usually I agree with Mr. Happy but I would have to disagree this time.

As you know somebody always has their hand out... I would probably say its spread out between print and media promotion, buying the land, clearing the debris, so the ships can dock, the road work, a few new ships and of course " the normal facilitating payments".

hugrad95a
10-11-2015, 12:27 PM
The first cruise ship has arrived With great interest of many government officials, tourist and traffic police and the military, Tuesday October 6th the first cruise ship 'Victory' arrived at the cruise port of Maimón (Amber Cove). There were dozens of buses of the Metro company ready to take passengers to various destinations. Sosúa is also hopefully awaiting for this cruise ship passengers. Ilana Neumann, according to our source, has made Playa Alicia available for this purpose. This beach is located next to the park Mirador. Waterfront restaurant will create additional parking space for the buses.
http://sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2015/10/10-07_ship.jpg (http://sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2015/10/10-07_ship.jpg) Carnival Victory The beach will not be accessible during the visit of the cruise ship visitors to other bathers. Of course, the cruise ship guests will be received with top service and all respect.
Damn they are gonna close the beach off just for the Cruise Ship passengers.. Looks like the touts and chicas gonna be ass out.

j_d66
10-11-2015, 01:13 PM
The first cruise ship has arrived

With great interest of many government officials, tourist and traffic police and the military, Tuesday October 6th the first cruise ship 'Victory' arrived at the cruise port of Maimón (Amber Cove). There were dozens of buses of the Metro company ready to take passengers to various destinations. Sosúa is also hopefully awaiting for this cruise ship passengers. Ilana Neumann, according to our source, has made Playa Alicia available for this purpose. This beach is located next to the park Mirador. Waterfront restaurant will create additional parking space for the buses.

(http://sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2015/10/10-07_ship.jpg)Click to see pic (http://sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2015/10/10-07_ship.jpg) Carnival Victory

The beach will not be accessible during the visit of the cruise ship visitors to other bathers. Of course, the cruise ship guests will be received with top service and all respect.

Damn they are gonna close the beach off just for the Cruise Ship passengers.. Looks like the touts and chicas gonna be ass out.

I hope the locals as well as the regular tourists raise a stink about this.

That is a public beach and as such should always be available to everyone

It's amazing what kind of whores the public officials become when chasing a dream.

More proof that doing things to benefit the local people and the tourists that have been supporting the town for many years is often only lip service.

Seville
10-11-2015, 02:44 PM
I hope the locals as well as the regular tourists raise a stink about this.

That is a public beach and as such should always be available to everyone

It's amazing what kind of whores the public officials become when chasing a dream.

More proof that doing things to benefit the local people and the tourists that have been supporting the town for many years is often only lip service.

I'm okay with them using playa alicia for the cruise ship people. Maybe they will decide that is a better and cheaper option than razing everything on Sosua beach to build those tourist plazas. It would leave more money for them to pocket while leaving the beach I enjoy so much alone.

XXX
10-11-2015, 05:00 PM
I'm okay with them using playa alicia for the cruise ship people. Maybe they will decide that is a better and cheaper option than razing everything on Sosua beach to build those tourist plazas. It would leave more money for them to pocket while leaving the beach I enjoy so much alone.

Exactly !!!!×

j_d66
10-11-2015, 05:54 PM

I am ok with them using it to but not ok with them making it a private beach just for the cruise ship people who are only here for a few short hours a couple times a week if that while everyone else is there many more days.

Their dollar should be no more valuable than mine. Sure they might drop a little dinero in the few hours they are there but I spend much more in the course of 7-10 days than they ever will

There will never be enough of them cruisers come to matter but the Dominican officials seem to be masters in stupidity sometimes

For some reason they must have some great fear that the passengers need to be protected from everyone else.

I like the way the current Sosua beach is.

There is charm there and it would be all gone with a newly rebuilt structure plus the vendors would have to increase prices so much it would not be worth going there to spend the afternoon any longer.

Shogun Warrior
10-11-2015, 06:11 PM
"For some reason they must have some great fear that the passengers need to be protected from everyone else."

Let me see, hmmm

1. Tourist with video camera's of hooker's on the beach & street.
2. Instances of crooked cops shaking them down.
3. Situations of being robbed and even shot while in the process of being robbed.
4. Avoiding being hustled for money by a gang of beggars.

Again, with them at their own separate beach with the majority of rift-raft on the other side, the Carnival cruise line with assistance of ol' girl is protecting them in a much more safer and convenient manner. I am sure that particular beach will have a daytime guard force to keep out "undesirables" just before the ship arrives and "guard" them while they are there. Then, after any "Cruise Ship Tourist" leave the private beach, it's back to normal. With them not intermingled with the rest of the Playa Beach population, it easily gives everyone who wants to exactly count the numbers of tourist that actually come all the way to Sosua. They are bused in and bused out and stay in a small area. Miss the bus back and your shit out of luck with the boat waiting for you.

Seems like a great trade-off to me. If ABC wants to show up for one of their groundbreaking, fucking fact-finding tours, Carnival is not labeled or smeared as sponsoring trips to the Hooker Beach.

distantvoyeur
10-11-2015, 10:32 PM
Their dollar should be no more valuable than mine. Sure they might drop a little dinero in the few hours they are there but I spend much more in the course of 7-10 days than they ever will

You are there for 7 to 10 days..... the next ship will bring 40 or 50 others.
Tourist oriented places do not care about the tourist, only the continual flow of fresh meat. Carnival will provide that, you will not.

Let them have Playa Alicia, only been there twice and for about 10 minutes in total. As Seville said, if it protects the real beach all for the better.

j_d66
10-12-2015, 12:54 AM
You are there for 7 to 10 days..... the next ship will bring 40 or 50 others.
Tourist oriented places do not care about the tourist, only the continual flow of fresh meat. Carnival will provide that, you will not.

Let them have Playa Alicia, only been there twice and for about 10 minutes in total. As Seville said, if it protects the real beach all for the better.

That's right so look at it this way.

Ambercove.com has 86 ships scheduled to be in port from Oct 2015 through August 2016 not counting the Adoina cause that is the ship doing the volunteer work so there will be almost no cruise passengers gracing Sosua from that trip

Let's assume they can get 50 passengers each from those ships or 4,300 passengers and assume they each spend 1,500 RD while in Sosua. (I doubt most will not spend anything near that cause they are only there a few hours at most. Lunch and drinks and maybe a souvenir.

They would generate 6,450,000 RD of new revenue.

Now lets take a typical monger tourist who comes to Sosua for 5 days and spends an average of 5,000 RD per day (a pretty modest sum I would say) or 25,000 RD during the five days.

It would only take 258 people coming for 5 days and spending 5,000 RD per day to generate the same 6,450,000 RD of revenue

So you tell me which one is more valuable to the Sosua economy there is no comparison.

Tweak the numbers however you like but the point is that the tourist who comes for a few days will forever blow away anything the a cruise ship passenger is going to bring to town.

I just think it is comical that they think they need to close down a beach and keep them from enjoying any kind of real Dominican experience.

I understand wanting to keep the chicas away but lets be real, most of the cruise ship passengers are going to be husbands and wives or families with no interest in picking up a chica anyway.

If you want to shelter them, keep them at the Amber Cove beach

That is the very reason I never booked a ship sponsored excursion when I took a cruise.
I found a local who would take me to where I could experience what the island was really about.

minkyboodle
10-12-2015, 07:22 AM

If only, I agree!!!

Hunter
10-12-2015, 08:42 AM
Can someone explain what part of the beach they are going to close? I am confused.

If I take a moto down to the start lets say from rumba....then start walking the beach all the way to the end passing seville area etc....then end and you walk up to highway and take a moto...

Is it the whole beach on my walk or the latter part or something totally different?

Irie
10-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Can someone explain what part of the beach they are going to close? I am confused.

If I take a moto down to the start lets say from rumba....then start walking the beach all the way to the end passing seville area etc....then end and you walk up to highway and take a moto...

Is it the whole beach on my walk or the latter part or something totally different?

Differnt beach hunter. Playa Alicia (or Sin Salida) is down calle Dr Rosen. Keep going past Rockys, New Garden, belkies until you can't walk any further (dead end street ending at the beach)

Hunter
10-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Differnt beach hunter. Playa Alicia (or Sin Salida) is down calle Dr Rosen. Keep going past Rockys, New Garden, belkies until you can't walk any further (dead end street ending at the beach)

But from Sevilles post Playa Alicia is not the plan.......that is SEvilles plan......that is where I am confused.....:confused:

If they used the big beach what part of that will they use?

tarzan
10-12-2015, 10:42 AM

Playa Alicia is a small beach near Casa Marina, it's often pretty empty anyway, they can close it at the entrance, it's not the same beach Seville goes to, that's playa Sosua.

Playa Alicia.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=105216&d=1410269996

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=105215&d=1410269976

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=105214&d=1410269950

There's also a small park before the entrance and a decent café.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=105217&d=1410270020

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=105220&d=1410270091

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=105207&d=1410269722

Irie
10-12-2015, 10:43 AM
But from Sevilles post Playa Alicia is not the plan.......that is SEvilles plan......that is where I am confused.....:confused:

got ya. Misread what you were getting at. Thought you were talking about the current situation. Carry on

Hunter
10-12-2015, 10:47 AM
got ya. Misread what you were getting at. Thought you were talking about the current situation. Carry on

Yeah I wasnt clear. Maybe the tourist officials dont know what beach they are going to use yet :confused:

tarzan
10-12-2015, 10:48 AM

Under the plan to have another port in Sosua, All of it.

distantvoyeur
10-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Preaching to the choir here......

Monger has greater value but greater publicity downside. Would you like your hometown to be known as whore central (hurts property values et al)?
If you could remove the negative view of the area and prop up the economy to a small degree, would you not?

I don't see this as working though. Sosua's greatest asset to me is Playa Sosua, but I like a little grunge in my trips, it's real. Most tourists want their shiny AI.
If you do research, you can find PFP anywhere in the world. There is just something about the whole package of the town that appeals to me and others.

The value to the Sosua economy is still to a select few, the majority are still in poverty.

So you tell me which one is more valuable to the Sosua economy there is no comparison.

j_d66
10-12-2015, 11:48 AM
The big project they are talking about is the main beach in sosua with all the vendors

http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=3816&article=1

The plan was to tear all of the buildings down and build a big plaza

The vendors do not like it because they will have to start paying rent and are afraid it will become unaffordable for them

They said the bulldozers were all set to level the place like Sept 2014 but it never happened than it all kinda died down until the latest report surfaced

http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=4217&article=1

Frankly I take much of what Sosuanews reports with a grain of salt since

I could be wrong but I don't think building a port in Sosua is part of that plan.

I highly doubt they would build a port there now as it would be to close to Amber Cove

steviewonder
10-12-2015, 07:06 PM
That's right so look at it this way...
Ambercove.com has 86 ships scheduled to be in port from Oct 2015 through August 2016 not counting the Adoina cause that is the ship doing the volunteer work so there will be almost no cruise passengers gracing Sosua from that trip.
Let's assume they can get 50 passengers each from those ships or 4,300 passengers and assume they each spend 1,500 RD while in Sosua. (I doubt most will not spend anything near that cause they are only there a few hours at most. Lunch and drinks and maybe a souvenir
They would generate 6,450,000 RD of new revenue. Now lets take a typical monger tourist who comes to Sosua for 5 days and spends an average of 5,000 RD per day (a pretty modest sum I would say) or 25,000 RD during the five days. It would only take 258 people coming for 5 days and spending 5,000 RD per day to generate the same 6,450,000 RD of revenue. So you tell me which one is more valuable to the Sosua economy there is no comparison.
Tweak the numbers however you like but the point is that the tourist who comes for a few days will forever blow away anything the a cruise ship passenger is going to bring to town.
I just think it is comical that they think they need to close down a beach and keep them from enjoying any kind of real Dominican experience.
I understand wanting to keep the chicas away but lets be real, most of the cruise ship passengers are going to be husbands and wives or families with no interest in picking up a chica anyway. If you want to shelter them, keep them at the Amber Cove beach
That is the very reason I never booked a ship sponsored excursion when I took a cruise. I found a local who would take me to where I could experience what the island was really about.

First of all, one issue that Carnival has is that 75% of the passengers must leave the port for a minimum of 4 hours. I know from a reliable source with the cruise line that the facilities in port can only handle up to 1,200 people. The other points I will make as far as Sosua/Cabarete is concern are these. The DR govt, and NC tourism authorities have been promised by Carnival that other cruise lines ( except RCL) will be in Amber Cove on non Carnival days with a minimum of 2 day stays. They are not listed in the schedule because contracts and dates have not been finalized for 2015/16. When these dates have been finalized, then tour operators will be offering a fun/sun day in Sosua, as well as kite surfing , nightly entertainment in Cabarete. As most of you know Cabarete is not known for swimming,snorkling, or scuba diving like Sosua in the daytime, and at night Cabarete offers more for non mongers then Sosua. I've seen the marketing adverts for cruise passengers that will be showing beaches in Sosua, with wind surfing, restaurant dining and nightly entertainment only in Cabarete.
So what is happening now with Playa Alicia is typical Dominican way of doing anything, lets wait for the last minute, and use as many band aids as we can until Carnival delivers us the passengers they have promised. As far as the comparison to numbers and dollars spent with mongers vs cruise passengers, that is a non issue for the govt, and the NC officials. They still believe that in order to establish a higher spending with tourism, it will only come from families and future cruise visitors.
So when all is said and done, the mongers visiting the NC and how things will change because of the cruise industry is way too early for everyone. I would bet that at least Sosua will not be changing until after the election next May 2016. As for Puerto Plata, they will at least be up to speed by then on how to handle spreading a minimum of 2,500 passengers one day a week in the NC.

j_d66
10-12-2015, 08:18 PM
First of all, one issue that Carnival has is that 75% of the passengers must leave the port for a minimum of 4 hours. I know from a reliable source with the cruise line that the facilities in port can only handle up to 1,200 people. The other points I will make as far as Sosua/Cabarete is concern are these. The DR govt, and NC tourism authorities have been promised by Carnival that other cruise lines ( except RCL) will be in Amber Cove on non Carnival days with a minimum of 2 day stays. They are not listed in the schedule because contracts and dates have not been finalized for 2015/16. When these dates have been finalized, then tour operators will be offering a fun/sun day in Sosua, as well as kite surfing , nightly entertainment in Cabarete. As most of you know Cabarete is not known for swimming,snorkling, or scuba diving like Sosua in the daytime, and at night Cabarete offers more for non mongers then Sosua. I've seen the marketing adverts for cruise passengers that will be showing beaches in Sosua, with wind surfing, restaurant dining and nightly entertainment only in Cabarete.
So what is happening now with Playa Alicia is typical Dominican way of doing anything, lets wait for the last minute, and use as many band aids as we can until Carnival delivers us the passengers they have promised. As far as the comparison to numbers and dollars spent with mongers vs cruise passengers, that is a non issue for the govt, and the NC officials. They still believe that in order to establish a higher spending with tourism, it will only come from families and future cruise visitors.
So when all is said and done, the mongers visiting the NC and how things will change because of the cruise industry is way too early for everyone. I would bet that at least Sosua will not be changing until after the election next May 2016. As for Puerto Plata, they will at least be up to speed by then on how to handle spreading a minimum of 2,500 passengers one day a week in the NC.

Is that some kind of new rule or something because I have been on several cruises over the years and never once was I told I had to leave the port much less the ship.

That thought process really doesn't make much sense since Carnival is in the game to make as much money for themselves as possible and no better way than to have you held captive as close to their port as possible.

In the end the officials of Sosua etc will very likely bend over backwards to please the whims of Carnival and the ministry of tourism and very likely a push to drive the monger traffic out of town will also occur.

Than they will sit back and wonder why no more than a handful of the cruise ship tourists will ever grace their fair city.

Than who will support them. The expats? I think not.

The locals will ultimately be the ones who will suffer.

steviewonder
10-12-2015, 09:45 PM
Is that some kind of new rule or something because I have been on several cruises over the years and never once was I told I had to leave the port much less the ship.

That thought process really doesn't make much sense since Carnival is in the game to make as much money for themselves as possible and no better way than to have you held captive as close to their port as possible.

In the end the officials of Sosua etc will very likely bend over backwards to please the whims of Carnival and the ministry of tourism and very likely a push to drive the monger traffic out of town will also occur.

Than they will sit back and wonder why no more than a handful of the cruise ship tourists will ever grace their fair city.

Than who will support them. The expats? I think not.

The locals will ultimately be the ones who will suffer.

I didnt say it was a new rule, it's simply a fact that in Amber Cove there is not enough space to accommodate over 1,200 people in the shopping village, and water park area. This may change once a beach area is finially opened for the passengers, but until then Carnival needs their customers to visit Puerto Plata city centre by the bus loads, or book in large numbers with the tour operators.
While everyone is entitled to an opinion about what impact the cruise lines may play in the tourism business for the NC. I for one believe it will exceed by the end of 2016 all projected numbers that Amber Cove was budgeting for. However, for what impact the focus has for Sosua and the mongering situation, again that's anyone guess what the govt. will do. But if history teaches us anything, then Sosua town and entertainment will remain the same for a very long time.

Westy
10-13-2015, 12:39 AM
I concur ... completely!!!

My favorite "beach excursion" in the Su, other than hanging out in the close environs of Ruby's with whatever fellow-mongers admitted themselves as members of the ISOC community, is entirely centered on the pastime of scuba-diving. If I were IDIOT enough to cruise down to the North Coast as a paying passenger on Carnal Crooze Lines ... I would probably be delighted if they had a dive-boat that would carry me out to a couple of patch-reefs that were close to Maimon. In all honesty - I'd be delighted to ride out from Blackbeard's to a decent, different reef north or west of Maimon.

The fact of the matter is, though, that visitors other than cruise-ship passengers will not get a chance to join up with the cruise-ship tours. Even if the chosen dive-operator is well-established in the Su,

jose1234
10-13-2015, 03:20 PM
I concur ... completely!!!

My favorite "beach excursion" in the Su, other than hanging out in the close environs of Ruby's with whatever fellow-mongers admitted themselves as members of the ISOC community, is entirely centered on the pastime of scuba-diving. If I were IDIOT enough to cruise down to the North Coast as a paying passenger on Carnal Crooze Lines ... I would probably be delighted if they had a dive-boat that would carry me out to a couple of patch-reefs that were close to Maimon. In all honesty - I'd be delighted to ride out from Blackbeard's to a decent, different reef north or west of Maimon.

The fact of the matter is, though, that visitors other than cruise-ship passengers will not get a chance to join up with the cruise-ship tours. Even if the chosen dive-operator is well-established in the Su,

I talked with a couple dive companies in Sosua and they declined to be a part of the official excursion package Carnival has set up because the upfront and ongoing costs involved. They calculated that the current ship visits planned is not worth the extra investment. Also, the diving customers that go on cruises are well informed about non-carnival associated dive companies on all the islands and that the Carnival customers who are divers would more than likely book independently at each dive location. The dive companies are getting many inquiries from Carnival cruise ship passengers to go diving independent of the ship sponsored packages. Also, the savings is significant...$50 savings at least per person for independent dive company vs. a Carnival sponsored package...

commander kirk
10-13-2015, 03:52 PM
The cruise lines are expert at shearing the sheep, both the passengers and the providers.

daddyooo
10-13-2015, 05:29 PM
From Sosua News

13 October 2015

1 billion Pesos from President Danilo Medina (http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=4226&article=1)

According to the Director of the Implementation Committee for Civil Works in the tourist areas (CEIZTUR), architect Kirsis De los Santos, President Danilo Medina made a billion pesos available to improve the infrastructure of the province of Puerto Plata. The past weekend the president brought a surprise visit to Puerto Plata to take into account the progress of the various projects. He visited the construction of the link road between the cruise port and Puerto Plata.

http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2015/10/10-13_danilo.jpg (http://www.sosuanews.com/news_pictures/2015/10/10-13_danilo.jpg) Ministerio de Turismo

He also visited the renovation of the historic center and the construction of the amphitheater. According to De los Santos, the reconstruction of the beach of Sosúa is part of the second phase. This involves the construction of two shopping plazas at both entrances of the beach and setting up a pedestrian area in the main street Pedro Clisante. A part of the Pedro Clisante will be provided with a new attractive pavement with Victorian styled streetlights. The trees are cut down and will be replaced by palm trees. Even the water treatment plant near Cabarete will be put into use in the second phase. The entrepreneurs in the Pedro Clisante are very excited about all these beautiful initiatives. But they hope the work will not take place in the high season (November to April). If they start to work on the street during the peak season, it will lead to large revenue losses.

minkyboodle
10-13-2015, 05:57 PM
So basically, if you believe them and want to experience playa Sosua as it is, it's one more high season. Sounds like they are planning to rip it all up this coming low season. Shame

jose1234
10-14-2015, 11:42 AM
So basically, if you believe them and want to experience playa Sosua as it is, it's one more high season. Sounds like they are planning to rip it all up this coming low season. Shame

The plan announced last year was for the renovations in the city of Puerta Plata to be completed first and then they will tackle Sosua beach after that. Its really about the money being allocated for this and the political will to do it. I hope Sosua beach does not become some sterile place like the Malicon in Puerto Plata, but it could. We shall find out next spring/summer I guess...

daddyooo
11-28-2015, 04:27 PM
Here's a shocker........"Cruise Passengers Cheated"
http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=4274&article=1

deezl
11-28-2015, 04:39 PM
Here's a shocker........"Cruise Passengers Cheated"
http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=4274&article=1

That's the taxi mafia for ya. $25 from POP to Sosua is bullshit. 650 pesos to/from Cabarete/Sosua is bullshit - they're all bullshit. In the meantime you can go from one end of Santiago to the other for what, 250 pesos? But go to/from the airport and it's 1000. We all get ripped off. Cruise passengers just get ripped off more. Whoop-dee-doo.

i can't wait until uber takes hold in the DR.

Jimmydr
11-28-2015, 06:23 PM
That's the taxi mafia for ya. $25 from POP to Sosua is bullshit. 650 pesos to/from Cabarete/Sosua is bullshit - they're all bullshit. In the meantime you can go from one end of Santiago to the other for what, 250 pesos? But go to/from the airport and it's 1000. We all get ripped off. Cruise passengers just get ripped off more. Whoop-dee-doo.

i can't wait until uber takes hold in the DR.

I use to hop a moto for 25 pesos.

deezl
11-28-2015, 08:40 PM
I use to hop a moto for 25 pesos.

locally, maybe - but hop a moto from the airport with bags? Or from Sosua to Cabarete? fuck that.

Jimmydr
11-28-2015, 08:43 PM
locally, maybe - but hop a moto from the airport with bags? Or from Sosua to Cabarete? fuck that.

I had a backpack and its actually a ten minute ride to Sosua. No way am i paying $25.

bailar
11-28-2015, 09:33 PM
I had a backpack and its actually a ten minute ride to Sosua. No way am i paying $25.

Walk out to the publico with my bag and pay my 30 pesos.

deezl
11-28-2015, 10:47 PM

no way I'm putting my life in the hands of a moto on the highway to save $20. seen too many accidents down there.

that's why it's good to have friends locally. they know I'm coming, they pick me up.

Jimmydr
11-29-2015, 08:16 AM
no way I'm putting my life in the hands of a moto on the highway to save $20. seen too many accidents down there.

that's why it's good to have friends locally. they know I'm coming, they pick me up.

Well I am alive and safe after 30 trips to Sosua.

voltage69
11-29-2015, 04:37 PM
I have considered the publico route to get to sosua after landing, but the fact that i arrive with 2 grand on me always dissuaded me from hopping a publico. just ask your hotel/apartment/suites if airport pickup is included. many will if you ask.

Nick T
11-29-2015, 09:24 PM
If somebody could get a hold of the 40 on-shore trips they are going to offer would be interesting.

Trip #39 - Visit Blackbeards and go back to ship smiling :lol:

I talked to "Captain" Tim about the possibilities. He said they were looking at the opportunities.

whatever
11-29-2015, 10:31 PM
The cruise ship line will find a new sucker just like the tout finds a new
sucker over and over.

minkyboodle
12-14-2015, 10:24 PM
Not that anyone who controls this will see but damn I would be sad to see Playa Sosua disappear....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSYvnXVi-hY

minkyboodle
12-14-2015, 10:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmx95u2iEE0

j_d66
01-18-2016, 01:27 AM
A few cruiser videos starting to show up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIBT4qsmNNE

The port area looks pretty nice and you can see why 90% will never leave the port

These girls did make it over to Sosua Beach so perhaps there is hope for the beach vendors if they play their cards right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAhQn-9AGfg

Westy
01-18-2016, 02:14 PM
A few cruiser videos starting to show up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIBT4qsmNNE

The port area looks pretty nice and you can see why 90% will never leave the port

These girls did make it over to Sosua Beach so perhaps there is hope for the beach vendors if they play their cards right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAhQn-9AGfg
It looks like about what I expected. That first video makes it clear that they're positioning Amber Cove as the destination, more than the DR.

psriches
01-20-2016, 09:12 PM
There was a cruise ship in port this past weekend and I didn't notice any extra tourist in Sosua.

steviewonder
01-20-2016, 10:00 PM
There was a cruise ship in port this past weekend and I didn't notice any extra tourist in Sosua.

There was 2 ships in port today with 7,000 passengers , however Puerto Plata city centre was like a normal day in the park. :eek: Something tells me the locals outside of the port are not too happy with the way things are happening....

psriches
01-20-2016, 10:30 PM
There was 2 ships in port today with 7,000 passengers , however Puerto Plata city centre was like a normal day in the park. :eek: Something tells me the locals outside of the port are not too happy with the way things are happening....The thing is, I drove down to amber cove because an amiga wanted to see the ship. But we didn't see any passengers hanging out in the port either. So I guess they either go to the beach, maybe tours, or just stay on the ship???

bailar
04-07-2016, 10:04 PM
http://www.theonion.com/article/new-royal-caribbean-cruise-just-12-day-buffet-floo-52696

whatever
04-08-2016, 07:25 AM
http://www.theonion.com/article/new-royal-caribbean-cruise-just-12-day-buffet-floo-52696

If you think your life is dull realize how bored some people
must be to think a cruise is exciting. Most of these
cruisers could go check in to a fancy local hotel and eat
and drink and get the same experience. I only once
heard a story from someone that did something
interesting as a cruise excursion. Most just eat, eat, and
eat more.

Westy
04-08-2016, 09:48 AM
eat more.

I took my Mom on a cruise-ship vacation for her 80th birthday, and she loved it! We got out on a couple of excursions ... but the most notable and, shall we say, "life-changing" thing for me was that I was inspired to get certified as a scuba-diver. On her side of it, Mom wasn't all that eager about shore-excursions, though I made a point of taking at least one excursion with her per voyage; she was really happy to stay aboard and be cossetted by the crew, while I was off blowing bubbles and taking videos on the tropical reefs.

After she'd "gone West," I took one more cruise on my own. It wasn't nearly as much fun for me, and anyways I'd gotten enough experience with foreign travel (between our cruises and my transfer to the Agency's schoolhouse and its International Branch) that I was confident about going straight to a tropical destination (like Asuncion, Paraguay, or Punta del Este, Uruguay, or others) and enjoying myself right there.

Most people don't go out and visit the "tourist sights" of their own home town. I live a Metro-ride from downtown Washington, DC, but the last time I've been to the Mall was years ago. Same with Baltimore's Inner Harbor. But I do enjoy getting out on the Chesapeake Bay ... only now I define a "cruise" as getting out alone on my sailboat for a few days, sometimes anchoring for the night in a hidden cove, sometimes mooring-up in a town harbor (like St. Michael's) for some "touristy stuff" and a good meal at a nice dockside restaurant. For a sailor, the boat is the destination....

j_d66
04-08-2016, 12:56 PM
eat more.

I have taken several cruises during my married years and I loved them.
I always say if you can't have fun on a cruise it's your own damn fault.

I used them as a way to see alot of different places and as a gauge for places I might want to return to

One of my cruises took me to Samana and I always new that I wanted to return to the Dominican Republic.
At that time I had no idea that Sosua even existed.

But I also approached the excursions a little different.
I never booked and excursion through the cruise line but would always find a driver to hire for the day and show us the island.

It was a great way to see what was really there rather than what the cruise ship people wanted you to think was there and it was way less expensive.

Since I am now single, my travel priorities have changed some but I wouldn't rule another cruise out at some point.

Everywhere you go and everything you do is largely dependent on you and sometime a trip that includes nothing but sitting on a beach, drinking, dancing and engaging in carnal experiences with a variety of females is a great way to take a vacation in my mind. ;)

j_d66
12-28-2016, 01:24 AM
One of my friends is on a cruise this week and one of the stops was at Amber Cove

I have filled him in a little bit on what is available not to far away but he was with family on this trip and could not partake in any debauchery

Unfortunately the day they were in port it was cold and cloudy so the pool and beach area really wasn't a good option

I haven't gotten the whole story yet as he is still cruising but sounds like maybe they ended up in a taxi to Puerto Plata that was a little to expensive for their liking. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I warned him about that but he doesn't always listen to me

Anyway he did send me some pics of the talent that was in the port to greet them that day

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/j_d661/4CA891B7-F315-4EFC-9DBE-75EE8E7D46B3_zpsu6nrigcx.jpg (http://s738.photobucket.com/user/j_d661/media/4CA891B7-F315-4EFC-9DBE-75EE8E7D46B3_zpsu6nrigcx.jpg.html)

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/j_d661/2D95D35F-0262-4ED5-B388-6B39E88B568F_zpsnbcp5iax.jpg (http://s738.photobucket.com/user/j_d661/media/2D95D35F-0262-4ED5-B388-6B39E88B568F_zpsnbcp5iax.jpg.html)

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/j_d661/791600ED-349A-429B-AFF9-2DE77581217F_zps6cqzzrir.jpg (http://s738.photobucket.com/user/j_d661/media/791600ED-349A-429B-AFF9-2DE77581217F_zps6cqzzrir.jpg.html)

Not to bad.

I could do an excursion with her for sure

Westy
12-28-2016, 05:25 AM
One of my friends is on a cruise this week and one of the stops was at Amber Cove

I have filled him in a little bit on what is available not to far away but he was with family on this trip and could not partake in any debauchery

Unfortunately the day they were in port it was cold and cloudy so the pool and beach area really wasn't a good option

I haven't gotten the whole story yet as he is still cruising but sounds like maybe they ended up in a taxi to Puerto Plata that was a little to expensive for their liking. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I warned him about that but he doesn't always listen to me

Anyway he did send me some pics of the talent that was in the port to greet them that day

Click to see pic (http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/j_d661/4CA891B7-F315-4EFC-9DBE-75EE8E7D46B3_zpsu6nrigcx.jpg)

Click to see pic (http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/j_d661/2D95D35F-0262-4ED5-B388-6B39E88B568F_zpsnbcp5iax.jpg)

Click to see pic (http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx23/j_d661/791600ED-349A-429B-AFF9-2DE77581217F_zps6cqzzrir.jpg)

Not to bad.

I could do an excursion with her for sure
Cute, but ... a coconut bra? Shades of South Pacific (the musical) ... :rofl:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=139362&stc=1

CentralNJDude
12-28-2016, 07:20 AM
Cute, but ... a coconut bra? Shades of South Pacific (the musical) ... :rofl:

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=139362&stc=1)

Most of the cruise ship passengers wouldn't know any better.. Makes a great marketing gimmick.