PDA

View Full Version : 03/2015 - Riots in Cabarete - Semana Santa cancelled maybe?

WickedWillie
03-16-2015, 12:40 PM
I've written before about the clusterfuck that descends on Cabarete for Semana Santa. it can be fun but can just as easily get out of control.:confused:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?393888-Semana-Santa-Cabarete&highlight=semana+santa

Most Cabarete residents close their doors on the Thursday and don't venture out until the mayhem is over on the Monday.

Well it seems the govt under the guise of the Ministry of Tourism have decided that all activities in Cabarete over Semana Santa will be severely curtailed or not allowed.

This includes no permits for sound stages on the beach, hence no live music concerts, no licences for street or beach vendors selling food or trinkets and the bars must close at 3am.

We had a mini huelga last Friday night

http://www.detrasdelrumor.com.do/con-quema-de-neumaticos-grupos-de-personas-en-horas-de-la-madrugada-protestaron-en-cabarete-contra-los-abusos-de-sancassani-piden-su-destitucion/

Today there is currently another huelga going off in the center of town right now, burning tires, throwing rocks, calling for the head of our friend Lorenzo Sancassini, and best of all the policia using tear gas.

There have been a number of tourists affected by the tear gas.

Good job Lorenzo:mad:

theheights718
03-16-2015, 12:56 PM
Well that just killed my trip. The best times I ever had in DR was during the semana santa festivals hanging with the locals. Yeah it can get crazy with so many people there...but it was far and in between. Maybe I've been lucky! THIS SUCKS!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

tgunz
03-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Well that just killed my trip. The best times I ever had in DR was during the semana santa festivals hanging with the locals. Yeah it can get crazy with so many people there...but it was far and in between. Maybe I've been lucky! THIS SUCKS!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I agree with you 100%

givengo440
03-16-2015, 03:25 PM
I DJ'd that weekend there and in the SU... A great time probably my best trip to date smh. Dam you Lorenzo.

jose1234
03-16-2015, 04:15 PM
The festival is generally a promotion for the city and not a huge profit maker for the main bars on the beach I have been told at least for that specific weekend. It helps to put Cabarete on the map. Unfortunately, there is nearly at least one deadly fight and one drowning nearly every year. Crowds plus Rum... Hotels in the area will be affected and so will some of the local people who rely upon selling stuff to the Dominican visitors here. I am told a lot of Dominican vendors are from out of town.

Overall, it seems that the local tourism head is trying to make the north coast a sleepy village for families. He is a straight by the books boring sort of guy. It will work out for local expats without businesses probably, but its a big gamble that reducing business will lead to more or better business down the road. Certainly a new more exciting town can spring up along the coast in other places such as Luperon and etc. to eventually take Sosua and Cabarete's place if business really deteriorates here. I hope the Tourism head actually has funds to fix the streets and sidewalks and such to make the towns look better. I was walking along the sidewalks last night and the streets are filled with garbage and sidewalks are falling apart and wires are hanging ugly from poles and cars and motos parked on sidewalks... Hardly the welcoming stuff most family tourists are seeking on their precious two or three weeks of vacation per year...

davemaryland
03-16-2015, 05:07 PM
don't venture out until the mayhem is over on the Monday.

:mad:
Thanks WW for the update. That is one of the reason I arrive on Monday. To many people on the beaches. I was in Boca Chica 2 years ago during Easter weekend. My rental car do not move for 3 days. Then there was no music on good friday at the bars. The police was out in force.

WickedWillie
03-16-2015, 07:29 PM
Someone posted this earlier on a Cabarete social media page, I thought it was most succinct. A few years back I was there with TNT72, Joeysterr and Juggles, I think all of us had experience of pick pocket attempts.:mad:

This is all about scaling back the insanity that prevails and preventing Cabarete from turning into a no go zone for a lot people for 4 days.

First off, this religious holiday that originally was meant to be celebrating the resurrection of Jesus has turned into a weekend to party; this is not the problem nor what the government is trying to change/avoid.

Some of you may or may not take part in the beach festivities this event has time and time again lured many problematic people.

By problematic people the government means people who want to start fights, kill/stab others, sell drugs, break the law, steal and anything in between that does not give Cabarete a good reputation.

Also they are enforcing and limiting the permits required for beach vendors so its fair for all sellers.

A lot of the media outlets are saying that the ministry of tourism is trying to take away the rights of people but on the contrary they are trying to make the event more friendly and safe so it can attract more people.

The information being let out is begin skewed, as no real official statement has come out; so most information is speculations and meant to stir things up. It will be hard for them to get rid of the event as a whole as it is quite a look forward to weekend.

I can tell you one thing- violently protesting won't help anything and that you rather try to voice your opinion peacefully if you even have one or else they "ministry of tourism" won't really listen.

I personally liked the event back in the day as it was more controlled! But over the years the control has been lost. After hearing and having so many friends get robbed or pick pocketed, seeing so many guns, fights and people getting stabbed it has become a borderline war zone and a weekend to just avoid Cabarete.

We need the control back one way or another and the only way now to gain that control back is with the government involvement as the people have shown they cannot control/behave themselves.

I already know many will either agree or disagree but I can tell you once you see your friend get stabbed for no reason in front of you or a gun pulled on them on this weekend you will probably agree.

Now if you are still reading this give it a like and keep your comments civil! This event can be great for the town as long as it stays safe and fun for everyone.

Stay classy Cabarete---

WickedWillie
03-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Todays events

http://www.detrasdelrumor.com.do/en-cabarete-marchan-contra-los-abusos-de-la-cestur-y-turismo-pacificamente-la-policia-los-reprime-a-bombazos-abusivamente/

el_papi_chew_low
03-16-2015, 08:01 PM
Well it seems the govt under the guise of the Ministry of Tourism have decided that all activities in Cabarete over Semana Santa will be severely curtailed or not allowed.

This includes no permits for sound stages on the beach, hence no live music concerts, no licences for street or beach vendors selling food or trinkets and the bars must close at 3am.

Thanks, just started thinking about which beach or river I would hit for the holiday so this is helpful. It can be fun or a pain - especially driving back with so many drunk and rowdy drivers on the road. Not a big fan of hitting the beach when it is too packed anyway, so I might just stick to the local activities.

deezl
03-16-2015, 10:30 PM
I think what Sancassini is trying to say is that they still want the big crowds and party atmosphere in Cabarete for Semana Santa.

They just don't want the Dominicans.

:mad::rolleyes::rofl:

Westy
03-17-2015, 01:22 PM
I think what Sancassini is trying to say is that they still want the big crowds and party atmosphere in Cabarete for Semana Santa.

They just don't want the Dominicans.

:mad::rolleyes::rofl:

And, of course, that goes over ...

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117865&d=1426612907

Bstokley
03-30-2015, 03:54 PM
I'm Back Bitches!!! I'll be on the ground come Wednesday, flying out of YUL cuz tickets in NYC are fucking outrageous! ANYONE on the ground? Who will be joining me?

WickedWillie
04-02-2015, 05:45 PM
It is looking like the proposed 'curtailing' of the mayhem is under way.

Not a single bar Onno's, Havana Club, Kahunas, Cocoron have installed sound stages this year. There is just one sponsored by Orange/Huawei in front of VoyVoy.

There is just one other at the far end in front of Pomodoro's (Lorenzo's restaurant)...........so big change down from 7 - 9 in previous years.

The south side of the main road has been taped off to prevent illegal parking:iconTU: and is patrolled by military and AMET

There are no 'pop-up' food carts to be seen anywhere in the town and those on the beach seem to be in just one controlled area.

I have been told that after tonight, when everyone shuts at midnight, the beach side bars have to close at 3am and all others have to close at midnight. We shall see.

People are being searched by Cestur and military at the public beach entrances.

The usual mass of fudgepackers in their speedos is well under way but there is some nice female eye candy to be had.

steviewonder
04-02-2015, 09:13 PM
The usual mass of fudgepackers in their speedos is well under way but there is some nice female eye candy to be had.

Voy ahora:wink: I always prefer candy instead of eggs over Easter....

Jimbo44
04-02-2015, 11:38 PM
no Photos?????

jose1234
04-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Only band stage is in front of Lorenzo's restaurant...LOL

JD426
04-03-2015, 12:50 PM
Are they gonna start the music at like Sundown , or after midnight ?

steviewonder
04-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Are they gonna start the music at like Sundown , or after midnight ?

Midnight, which also includes autos. Was just warned by Amet 30 minutes ago:eek:

steviewonder
04-03-2015, 12:56 PM

Is there anyone surprised? :mad:

ezsmile
04-03-2015, 01:54 PM

Is there anyone surprised? :mad:

Don't forget the one in front of VoyVoy

deezl
04-03-2015, 05:41 PM

He's trying to drum up business so he can buy a set of teeth that don't frighten children.

steviewonder
04-03-2015, 06:30 PM
He's trying to drum up business so he can buy a set of teeth that don't frighten children.

you are right, he actually reminds me of this guy, and with less hair:rofl:

WickedWillie
04-04-2015, 09:59 AM
No point in me going out in Cabarete last night as I was full of beer and empty of leche thanks to a certain board members Caligula like birthday festivities.:rofl::rofl::rofl::iconTU:

I think the music must have been shut down at around 3am as I got up for a piss a little after that and didn't hear anything.

People tell me that it is quieter than usual.:iconTU:

And while I don't walk around my home town with a camera like a stupid fucking moron tourist a friend sent me this.:p

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=118252&d=1428155533

ezsmile
04-04-2015, 10:13 AM
No point in me going out in Cabarete last night as I was full of beer and empty of leche thanks to a certain board members Caligula like birthday festivities.:rofl::rofl::rofl::iconTU:

I think the music must have been shut down at around 3am as I got up for a piss a little after that and didn't hear anything.

And while I don't walk around my home town with a camera like a stupid fucking moron tourist a friend sent me this.:p

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=118252&d=1428155533)

Obviously Semana Santa in Cabarete can't be ALL that bad....

Seville
04-04-2015, 11:07 AM

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=118252&d=1428155533)

Can you clarify this. Are you saying you are not a stupid fucking moron or that you just don't walk around looking like one?:lol:

WickedWillie
04-04-2015, 12:39 PM
Can you clarify this. Are you saying you are not a stupid fucking moron or that you just don't walk around looking like one?:lol:

Ya tu sabes.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

el_papi_chew_low
04-05-2015, 08:05 AM

I saw that pic posted on Facebook. I decided not to do the beach thing although every chica was looking for someone to take them to a beach, river or pool this weekend.

Many of the Sosua chicas I know said they went home to spend time with the family and will start heading back to Sosua today and tomorrow.