PDA

View Full Version : 10/2016 - Do Expat Mongers Settle Down ... or just slow down?

Westy
10-03-2016, 10:20 AM
To me there is a cautionary tale, this is a mongers forum not an ex-pat forum, so we tend to talk about mongering things. What Camaro does, what I do, those things are not the norm. Actually for most ex-pats our particular lifestyles, are anything but the norm....

Thank you for bringing this up. I've been musing along these lines since my first mongering trips down-range. I'd already been considering moving offshore, since my first visit to Uruguay (years before I got introduced to the P4P life); meeting up with Seville on my first visit to Sosua, and reading his accounts here, sharpened my interest in moving to "Punani Paradise" ... some day. But how much would the easy, economical availability of sweet young girl-flesh really impact my life?

Most of the ex-pats if not all except for Camaro live their lives very normal as far as women go, most have a wife or significant other, that they spend the majority of their time with, especially sexually. Having said that, they may have an amante on the side, or go to a casa de citas (or a whore house) on occasion. But doing what we do; is totally out of the ordinary, and that should be understood.

I think most people, most places, live that norm, one way or another. It's the way we evolved, or the way God planned it if you believe that way. But there have always been outliers, at the fringes of the herd, ranging from celibate hermits, through disaffected lone-wolves, to cheerful libertines playing the Playboy game. Is it fair to say that we on this board, and especially those of us in your situation, are more comfortable living on our own, changing partners at a whim, than we are living pair-bound with a woman who's living on our provender and whose children we might have sired?

I shouldn't speak for Cam, but based on his almost daily journal, it is fair to discuss it on this board cause he puts it out there. We are two of the few if not only ex-pats that I know and I know quite a few, that have a lifestyle similar to what a monger would have while vacationing in a monger location. It is just not normal, even for the guys that I know who live here half the year. They all have girlfriends while living here, which keep their costs down, and a few may have something on the side, most don't even do that, as they are satisfied and happy with the young thing they have here, which they know they couldn't be with anything like her, back where they come from.

I've lived alone since August 2002, when my Mom "went West." I stopped chasing after girlfriends in 1986, and got introduced to mongering in Paraguay in 2004. I only partook when I was OCONUS on vacation (except that first time), and even now, mongering isn't the sole purpose of my travels ... well, except for my trips to Medellin, and last month's whirlwind tour of some of Germany's FKK sauna-clubs. But certainly it's part of my vacationing life-style, and it will be a factor when (if) I choose my One Particular Harbor -- just not the only factor, or even the prime factor.

As for my seeking out someone to "happily-ever-after" with ... I won't say "never," but from my present perspective, it's just not in the cards I've been dealt, this hand.

Even I tried to be with a girlfriend, and kind of did for awhile, almost a year but it is hard to do and I am sad for that because I had a wonderful beautiful young lady, but my mind set, the way I am wired wouldn't allow me to appreciate her and that lifestyle. It is actually a little sad, at least for me, but it is what it is. It is hard being on a forum like this settling down with just one, not to mention, many of the people you associate with are mongers from this board, so when you are with them, you tend to do what they do, which is mongering. I tend to do normal things with my life, golf for example, plus family things, because I realize it is not normal to live a monger lifestyle, and live normally. That lifestyle really should be reserved for a monger vacation, in my opinion. Because the two things really don't go together.

This is just my opinion.

IIRC, Camaro has talked in his threads about looking for a favorita, though he's still playing "Musical Beds" just as you are. Seville posted some remarkable threads about his own exploits, including some that were pretty outrageous even from our POV as mongers, but the last we've heard of him was a third-party account that he'd settled down -- maybe out of necessity, we'll leave it at that.

I know that if I were living in Punani Paradise, even part-time the way SeaWeed manages it, I doubt that I'd be seeking out a fresh bed-partner every night, the way I do (the way we do) on vacay. Similarly, I doubt if I'd go scuba-diving every day, the way I try to when I'm in a seaside destination. That's not just because of the expense, though what Lord Chesterfield said to his son about it still applies to our situation ("The position is ridiculous, the pleasure is fleeting, and the expense is damnable!") But with my comfort level at being on my own, I don't see myself seeking out a long-term partner, either ... though, as I've been told, "these things just happen."

I appreciate your opinion, which I'm aware is formed out of your experience. I think it's worth bearing in mind, for any of us who are considering that Big Move some day, and who are seeking out our own One Particular Harbor. Maybe Jimmy might consider spinning this off into its own thread, because it may seem like a thread-jack here, but I believe it's worthy of discussion.

Jimmydr
10-03-2016, 10:53 AM
Thank you for bringing this up. I've been musing along these lines since my first mongering trips down-range. I'd already been considering moving offshore, since my first visit to Uruguay (years before I got introduced to the P4P life); meeting up with Seville on my first visit to Sosua, and reading his accounts here, sharpened my interest in moving to "Punani Paradise" ... some day. But how much would the easy, economical availability of sweet young girl-flesh really impact my life?

I think most people, most places, live that norm, one way or another. It's the way we evolved, or the way God planned it if you believe that way. But there have always been outliers, at the fringes of the herd, ranging from celibate hermits, through disaffected lone-wolves, to cheerful libertines playing the Playboy game. Is it fair to say that we on this board, and especially those of us in your situation, are more comfortable living on our own, changing partners at a whim, than we are living pair-bound with a woman who's living on our provender and whose children we might have sired?

I've lived alone since August 2002, when my Mom "went West." I stopped chasing after girlfriends in 1986, and got introduced to mongering in Paraguay in 2004. I only partook when I was OCONUS on vacation (except that first time), and even now, mongering isn't the sole purpose of my travels ... well, except for my trips to Medellin, and last month's whirlwind tour of some of Germany's FKK sauna-clubs. But certainly it's part of my vacationing life-style, and it will be a factor when (if) I choose my One Particular Harbor -- just not the only factor, or even the prime factor.

As for my seeking out someone to "happily-ever-after" with ... I won't say "never," but from my present perspective, it's just not in the cards I've been dealt, this hand.

IIRC, Camaro has talked in his threads about looking for a favorita, though he's still playing "Musical Beds" just as you are. Seville posted some remarkable threads about his own exploits, including some that were pretty outrageous even from our POV as mongers, but the last we've heard of him was a third-party account that he'd settled down -- maybe out of necessity, we'll leave it at that.

I know that if I were living in Punani Paradise, even part-time the way SeaWeed manages it, I doubt that I'd be seeking out a fresh bed-partner every night, the way I do (the way we do) on vacay. Similarly, I doubt if I'd go scuba-diving every day, the way I try to when I'm in a seaside destination. That's not just because of the expense, though what Lord Chesterfield said to his son about it still applies to our situation ("The position is ridiculous, the pleasure is fleeting, and the expense is damnable!") But with my comfort level at being on my own, I don't see myself seeking out a long-term partner, either ... though, as I've been told, "these things just happen."

I appreciate your opinion, which I'm aware is formed out of your experience. I think it's worth bearing in mind, for any of us who are considering that Big Move some day, and who are seeking out our own One Particular Harbor. Maybe Jimmy might consider spinning this off into its own thread, because it may seem like a thread-jack here, but I believe it's worthy of discussion.

What would the name of this topic be?

Jimmydr
10-03-2016, 10:55 AM

As for me, if I see something on line, in a market, walking or on a bus, I will talk to her. New ones will always be replacing old ones that think they should get more.

Westy
10-03-2016, 11:10 AM

How about, "Do Expat Mongers Settle Down ... or just slow down?"

Jimmydr
10-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Maybe i just been unlucky with the Ex pats that I seen around DR, but a few are with some nasty looking women who they have little to no control over.

Hank is one that come to mind.:icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd:

Westy
10-03-2016, 11:40 AM

How about, "Do Expat Mongers Settle Down ... or just slow down?"

Let me flesh this out a little bit, from my perspective ... even in "vacation mode," I don't necessarily score fresh punani every day. Of course, we made casa-runs every day in Medellin, and I busted two or three nuts every day during the FKK trip; but it was several days before I got "in the groove" when I went to the Philippines, and of course I got "locked down" by Thief Shanee in Jamaica. (I don't blame her for sticking around. I would have been a good catch if I'd come to the gaff the way she hoped. I DO blame her for her thievery, and if that's out enough to hurt her chances going forward -- tough shit, sweetie.)

How would I operate if I were living long-term downrange, in Punani Paradise? I don't know, but I think I'd probably "just slow down." Certainly I wouldn't be paying for play, every day; to use the DR as an example and the current 2000-peso ST price ($43.31 at this morning's exchange rate), that would add up to about $1300 a month. Of course, I might cut a better long-term deal, like a "night nurse" arrangement; but after Jamaica, I'd be leery of taking on a live-in lover under any terms. As I see it for now, though, I might spend the first few weeks in fresh-every-night mode, then slow down to maybe twice a week, more or less.

Anyone else care to chime in on this? Even better, does anyone else care to add their dissent?

Jimmydr
10-03-2016, 11:44 AM
How would I operate if I were living long-term downrange, in Punani Paradise? I don't know, but I think I'd probably "just slow down." Certainly I wouldn't be paying for play, every day; to use the DR as an example and the current 2000-peso ST price ($43.31 at this morning's exchange rate), that would add up to about $1300 a month. Of course, I might cut a better long-term deal, like a "night nurse" arrangement; but after Jamaica, I'd be leery of taking on a live-in lover under any terms. As I see it for now, though, I might spend the first few weeks in fresh-every-night mode, then slow down to maybe twice a week, more or less.

Anyone else care to chime in on this? Even better, does anyone else care to add their dissent?

There is no reason to pay full price.

If they need 500 pesos, they can call and you are there 52 weeks a year.

500 is more than nothing when there are no other customers around.

Westy
10-03-2016, 11:52 AM
There is no reason to pay full price.

If they need 500 pesos, they can call and you are there 52 weeks a year.

500 is more than nothing when there are no other customers around.

True, but there's also the question of "how hungry am I for punani?"

It might be different from when I'm on vacation, and I gorge myself because of the long lean months between trips. :cheesygrin:

Jimmydr
10-03-2016, 11:57 AM
True, but there's also the question of "how hungry am I for punani?"

It might be different from when I'm on vacation, and I gorge myself because of the long lean months between trips. :cheesygrin:

You are on vacation for a week so you can spend $1,000 or $2,000 and then go home and not spend to catch up. If you live there, tomorrow is another day.

I was in Sosua for 30 days and by week 4, they came down to my prices.

WickedWillie
10-03-2016, 03:39 PM
There is no simple answer to this as everyone is different with differing appetites, tolerance levels and budgets.

For example for the past year or so I have been in serious rampage mode, I have had a thirst that 2 or 3 a day, every day without exception, in a rotation of 20+ chicas plus 2 regular girlfriends, could not quench.

BUT eventually pussy fatigue sets in and it becomes very tiresome and unfulfilling.

Some days I couldn't even remember who had been round to visit, and it really wasn't important.

Difficult for guys who haven't walked the walk to understand that, right?

Most expats, including myself, will have a favorita or a novia at most times but usually in the knowledge that sooner or later the relationship will go tits up and then it's back to playing around.

Westy
10-03-2016, 04:08 PM
There is no simple answer to this as everyone is different with differing appetites, tolerance levels and budgets.

For example for the past year or so I have been in serious rampage mode, I have had a thirst that 2 or 3 a day, every day without exception, in a rotation of 20+ chicas plus 2 regular girlfriends, could not quench.

BUT eventually pussy fatigue sets in and it becomes very tiresome and unfulfilling.

Some days I couldn't even remember who had been round to visit, and it really wasn't important.

Most expats, including myself, will have a favorita or a novia at most times but usually in the knowledge that sooner or later the relationship will go tits up and then it's back to playing around.

"No simple answer" -- Roger that. As H.L. Mencken put it, "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." It just seems to me that the subject might be worth some discussion, and maybe a little explanation and advice from our brothers already living downrange; some of us are thinking of maybe going expat, one of these days, and Yayow's "word of caution" in the Expats That Fall (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?338566-04-2011-Ex-Pats-That-Fall&p=1397163#post1397163) thread brought my own musings on the notion to a head.

I know there's a big difference between "tourist mode" and "expat mode;" I was aware of that in a general sense, years before I learned about this forum and started pondering the idea of going "sexpat" one of these days. And surely I'm not the only one here who's pondering it?

yayow
10-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Maybe i just been unlucky with the Ex pats that I seen around DR, but a few are with some nasty looking women who they have little to no control over.

Hank is one that come to mind.:icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd::icontd:

jajaja, let that man rest in peace already. She actually could be very attractive looking when she wanted, but personality was always very unattractive in my opinion. Yeah you are right he had no control over her at all.

Jimmydr
10-03-2016, 06:44 PM
jajaja, let that man rest in peace already. She actually could be very attractive looking when she wanted, but personality was always very unattractive in my opinion. Yeah you are right he had no control over her at all.

Jail and acid and i am with you, she was UGLY!

questner
10-03-2016, 10:57 PM
We need a thread 'Expats That Succeed' :luck:

greydread
10-04-2016, 03:35 AM
It's easy enough to start a new thread. It seems to me that as the "brand new" wears off of finding oneself in a living situation where their purchasing power is increased by an order of magnitude that eventually one would seek out some level of 'normalcy' as the routine becomes routine. Getting some strange now and then is a good thing but I wouldn't want to make a living out of it. I think it's completely understandable when guys settle in with a Chica for the long haul, however long that might be. All that running around takes a lot of energy and a few more notches on the belt just isn't my idea of productive time although I am well aware that opinions on the subject tend to vary.

Mr. Smooth
10-04-2016, 04:28 AM

Fucking midlife crisis! Jeez.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

yayow
10-04-2016, 06:44 AM
It's easy enough to start a new thread. It seems to me that as the "brand new" wears off of finding oneself in a living situation where their purchasing power is increased by an order of magnitude that eventually one would seek out some level of 'normalcy' as the routine becomes routine. Getting some strange now and then is a good thing but I wouldn't want to make a living out of it. I think it's completely understandable when guys settle in with a Chica for the long haul, however long that might be. All that running around takes a lot of energy and a few more notches on the belt just isn't my idea of productive time although I am well aware that opinions on the subject tend to vary.

Actually tried this, just didn't work for me, like I said just not wired that way for the time being. For that to succeed with me, would have to give up my membership on the board. Stop associating with other mongers. Know a lot of guys that do what you say, but they aren't what I would consider to be mongers at all. Just normal guys enjoying their lives abroad. Sure they sampled a few chicas until finding the right one, but once found the sampling stopped. My sampling continues like the energizer bunny, keeps going and going.

Oh one other thing I personally would have to do, for that to work for me is to go, deaf, blind and crazy!

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 08:55 AM

Its not started yet? Why not?

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 08:57 AM

What fun is that?

Yayow has succeeded!

Happy has succeeded!!

Cam has succeeded!!!!

Blue Devil has Succeeded!!!

That is just 4 that come to mind and I know I missed at least another 4 others.

This is kind of boring as a topic:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hunter
10-04-2016, 08:58 AM
Fucking midlife crisis! Jeez.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah jeezus WW....WTF...2-3 a day every day. You must have an incredible sperm recharge...lol....I coultdnt do it...

It is the law of diminishing returns though with that many. Too much work. I am with Grey....

I personally get tired of hos after a couple weeks.

Westy
10-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Actually tried this, just didn't work for me, like I said just not wired that way for the time being. For that to succeed with me, would have to give up my membership on the board. Stop associating with other mongers. Know a lot of guys that do what you say, but they aren't what I would consider to be mongers at all. Just normal guys enjoying their lives abroad. Sure they sampled a few chicas until finding the right one, but once found the sampling stopped. My sampling continues like the energizer bunny, keeps going and going.

Oh one other thing I personally would have to do, for that to work for me is to go, deaf, blind and crazy!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (especially about the "deaf, blind and crazy" part)

Seems to me that the roots of Society, as we've lived it up until the last half-century or so, are in Family ... in its tightest focus, on a man and a woman pairing up and committing to breed and raise children. This is the norm, because the two-parent family has been a very successful way of raising our young; I'm willing to argue that we've been genetically selected that way. An interesting point of that is that men, fathers, appear to have a stronger bond with their children than you see in any other species of mammal -- but maybe I, being childless, have no business speaking of that. But I certainly observe it.

Our species has also been described as a "herd animal." We tend to live in large groups, to classify ourselves by sub-groups, and to internalize and conform to the behavior we see around us ... especially what we see and live with in our childhood. And we are shaped by that -- the 'nurture' side of nature vs. nurture -- whether we conform to it in our adulthood, or rebel against it, or strive to overcome it and do better for ourselves.

But there are always outliers ... Okay, that's enough prologue.

I think people who do a lot of traveling are outliers. Even more so, people who do a lot of foreign travel, who need the fat passport. And I think people who will fly across an ocean for half a week of debauchery are DEFINITELY outliers -- Yes, I'm looking in the mirror! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think it's the same with pair-bonding. Some folks stick to the norm, and succeed in that "happily ever after." Others make a go of it, but it doesn't last, for whatever reasons. Some of us ride the carousel, but don't manage to catch the ring; some of us are just enjoying the ride. There are a lot of folks just watching from the sidelines ... and a few of us who skip the carousel and head straight for the bumper-cars. (Boy-oh-boy, am I ever straining at these carnival analogies!)

We, as mongers, are way outside the norm, for whatever reasons. Some of us, further than others. I may be one of the "furthers," because I can't see myself settling down; I'm uncomfortable with letting a woman that far into my life. (The closest I've come to it, recently, ended badly.) I'm not looking for someone special or something lasting; I'm enjoying the thrill of the moment. But I'm still a tourist.

Will things change -- will I change -- when (if) I expat to my One Particular Harbor?

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=135950&d=1473784521

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=132983&d=1465268263

greydread
10-04-2016, 12:11 PM
All good points serving the reality that we are all cut from different cloth and one Man's Paradise is another Man's Prison.

I don't know. As much as like fine, young Pum-Pum on the occasions when I find a Woman that I can fall into a groove with I prefer into drink deep from the well and try to know all of her. Being with a Woman is about a whole lot more than sex to me. She has the power to balance my yang and guide me to a peaceful place that I just can't get to by myself.

There's just something about those moments after dinner, after sex, after the laundry has been done and the kitchen cleaned and I'm spazzed out on the chair watching the game and she's on the couch crocheting of reading or doing whatever it is that she does when all is right with her world and she looks at me to see if I need anything and I give her my "tapped out" face and this little smile of satisfaction washes over her. That moment right there, priceless. :lol:

BlueDevil
10-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Some do... some don't. Some do... get burned... and come back to mongering with a vengeance. I already described the ex-pat group in my community here in Colombia. Most are older guys 65+ who are looking for a degree of tranquility with little drama. A few of these guys have much younger pueblo girlfriends (whom they pay well), but they are under no illusions of why the girls stay with them. :wink: Some have gone as far as tying the knot with their novias... and plan on leaving their "fortunes" to them when they die. A couple guys who never quite kicked the habit go to La Galaria (think mini-mayorista) and will bang at least one working girl daily.

Jimmydr
10-05-2016, 06:14 AM
Some do... some don't. Some do... get burned... and come back to mongering with a vengeance. I already described the ex-pat group in my community here in Colombia. Most are older guys 65+ who are looking for a degree of tranquility with little drama. A few of these guys have much younger pueblo girlfriends (whom they pay well), but they are under no illusions of why the girls stay with them. :wink: Some have gone as far as tying the knot with their novias... and plan on leaving their "fortunes" to them when they die. A couple guys who never quite kicked the habit go to La Galaria (think mini-mayorista) and will bang at least one working girl daily.

I think I may like this place.

Westy
10-05-2016, 10:27 AM

I'm not 65+, not yet, but I'm all in favor of that "degree of tranquility with little drama." All the same, I may not have a raging hunger for punani, but I certainly still have an appetite for fine, young, exotic-to-me sweeties ... and a matching urge to visit their exotic homelands. I've been feeding those urges tourist-style for the past few years, but it's expensive to live that way, and you get only a tourist's-eye view of your destination.

Hence the temptation of going expat ... or at least, going expat-style, renting a flat by the month rather than a hotel room by the night, making myself at home for a while, rather than rushing around trying to do everything and see everything while the clock ticks inexorably toward my departure time.

My next trip is locked in, tourist-style. I plan to make some time, though, for checking the market in monthly rentals, for seeing what's available and what's the cost. (Most likely in Pattaya; I'll be too busy tourist-ing in Siem Reap, and too busy diving in Phuket.) After that? We'll see....

BlueDevil
10-05-2016, 11:10 AM
I'm not 65+, not yet, but I'm all in favor of that "degree of tranquility with little drama." All the same, I may not have a raging hunger for punani, but I certainly still have an appetite for fine, young, exotic-to-me sweeties ... and a matching urge to visit their exotic homelands. I've been feeding those urges tourist-style for the past few years, but it's expensive to live that way, and you get only a tourist's-eye view of your destination.

Hence the temptation of going expat ... or at least, going expat-style, renting a flat by the month rather than a hotel room by the night, making myself at home for a while, rather than rushing around trying to do everything and see everything while the clock ticks inexorably toward my departure time.

My next trip is locked in, tourist-style. I plan to make some time, though, for checking the market in monthly rentals, for seeing what's available and what's the cost. (Most likely in Pattaya; I'll be too busy tourist-ing in Siem Reap, and too busy diving in Phuket.) After that? We'll see....

The big temptation to turning ex-pat is the degree of leverage you get with your US Dollar living down here. I live far better in Colombia than I ever lived in NJ. My quality of life is exquisite now... and I am building wealth on my retirement income at a rate I never imagined possible. The cost of living in my semi-rural pueblo is about 30% of what it was living in South Jersey 10 years ago. Although I think it's neat to "live the dream" in a foreign "exotic" country, it is not without drawbacks. Some aspects of the culture, bureaucracy, mediocre infrastructure and collective behavior of Colombia can drive you absolutely bonkers. :drool: But overall, if you have a steady income coming in from the States, you can pamper yourself with everything from pretty paisas to luxury homes... even if you were a flunky civil government worker (like me). As much as I enjoy our short trips back to the US, I freak out when I look at the receipts from my trips. It's so damned expensive in the US. So, cost of living is just one of the reasons for living down here.

Jimmydr
10-05-2016, 07:44 PM
The big temptation to turning ex-pat is the degree of leverage you get with your US Dollar living down here. I live far better in Colombia than I ever lived in NJ. My quality of life is exquisite now... and I am building wealth on my retirement income at a rate I never imagined possible. The cost of living in my semi-rural pueblo is about 30% of what it was living in South Jersey 10 years ago. Although I think it's neat to "live the dream" in a foreign "exotic" country, it is not without drawbacks. Some aspects of the culture, bureaucracy, mediocre infrastructure and collective behavior of Colombia can drive you absolutely bonkers. :drool: But overall, if you have a steady income coming in from the States, you can pamper yourself with everything from pretty paisas to luxury homes... even if you were a flunky civil government worker (like me). As much as I enjoy our short trips back to the US, I freak out when I look at the receipts from my trips. It's so damned expensive in the US. So, cost of living is just one of the reasons for living down here.

A key factor is, if you have no family where you live, they why stay there? No reason at all.

BlueDevil
10-05-2016, 08:19 PM
A key factor is, if you have no family where you live, they why stay there? No reason at all.

Yeah, that's true. Other than my brother, I have no family back in the States. I'm trying hard to get my brother to punch out, and move down here. He's recently divorced, but still feels he needs to support 2 millenial kids in their 20s. :mad:

Jimmydr
10-05-2016, 08:25 PM
Yeah, that's true. Other than my brother, I have no family back in the States. I'm trying hard to get my brother to punch out, and move down here. He's recently divorced, but still feels he needs to support 2 millenial kids in their 20s. :mad:

Last time we spoke he was married.

But just having a brother someplace is no reason to stay when both can move:bigthumbup::bigthumbup::bigthumbup:

Jimmydr
10-05-2016, 08:45 PM
I freak out when I look at the receipts from my trips. It's so damned expensive in the US. So, cost of living is just one of the reasons for living down here.

Why bother?:mad::confused::confused::confused:

Westy
10-06-2016, 01:38 PM
The big temptation to turning ex-pat is the degree of leverage you get with your US Dollar living down here. I live far better in Colombia than I ever lived in NJ. My quality of life is exquisite now... and I am building wealth on my retirement income at a rate I never imagined possible. The cost of living in my semi-rural pueblo is about 30% of what it was living in South Jersey 10 years ago.

That "leveraged dollar" is the first thing that attracted me to the expat life -- and that was years before I got introduced to mongering, South American style. Of course, the "price-of-life" aspect is pushed in publications and websites such as International Living, and, by my lights, with good reason. I'm doing okay, here in the Washington-Baltimore area, but part of that is because I paid off the mortgage on my townhouse before I retired (and even more of it is my Civil Service pension); I'm quite conscious that I could live better, with effectively more "disposable income," if I move offshore to a country where the cost-of-living is lower than it is here.

Although I think it's neat to "live the dream" in a foreign "exotic" country, it is not without drawbacks. Some aspects of the culture, bureaucracy, mediocre infrastructure and collective behavior of Colombia can drive you absolutely bonkers. :drool: But overall, if you have a steady income coming in from the States, you can pamper yourself with everything from pretty paisas to luxury homes... even if you were a flunky civil government worker (like me). As much as I enjoy our short trips back to the US, I freak out when I look at the receipts from my trips. It's so damned expensive in the US. So, cost of living is just one of the reasons for living down here.

Those "drawbacks" you mention are a non-monetary cost that we have to figure in, aren't they? I've heard and read a lot about things like having to pay your bills at the bank (because you just can't drop a check in the mail), or dealing with the "Mañana Society" when you're driven to get things done. But the benefits can certainly outweigh the costs, just as you describe, when you can enjoy your version of The Good Life in "Paradise" for the price of living in a trailer-park retirement village in central Florida.

jose1234
10-06-2016, 02:50 PM
I can only speak of Sosua, but the chicas, camaraderie of other expats (not for everyone) and lower cost of living are the big benefits. On the downside you live among poor people with little education and common sense. In addition the infrastructure is poor (roads, sidewalks, electrical, water and trash). For many, it takes a period of time to adapt and get used to the place and it may not be for everyone. If your budget permits, a trip every three months to another more developed town or travel is recommended for mental health... But, being an expat, I like living here near Sosua, although I am not fully retired yet. Regarding a slowing down or settling down, it depends on the person. If one was a monger before coming here I think most never fully stop, but they may slow down. Everyone is different, their budgets are different, how they learn to deal with the chicas as an expat is a factor and they may also go through cycles. Some slow down when they have a favorita chica they hang with for a while, but when that chica leaves they get more active until they find another favorita.

Mr. Smooth
10-06-2016, 04:27 PM

Westy, I have been doing this for years, mostly for my own entertainment and knowledge of the current economic situation. Just google "Pattaya condos for rent" and you will see the plethora of available rentals, both with beach view and inland.

One particular condo complex that is popular with expats is Nirun Condos. It is a 5 building complex, two 13 story towers and three 5 story low level ones, about 2,200 units all total. Ground floor is all businesses such as beer bars, cleaners, small grocery store, rental agenices, etc. A short walk to the mall that includes a major grocery store, and transport routes, a large beer bar complex across the street, and a 7-8 minute moto ride to the beach and Walking Street.

For a month rental, you could get a 26 sq. meter studio, fully furnished with love seat type sofa, cable, balcony, fridge, microwave, queen bed, ac and ceiling fan, and you might pay 6,000 baht. Equates to about $171 usd per month. And if you did a 3 month stay, that goes down to about 5,500 baht per month. Spoke to several guys on previous trips who have rented in that complex for years on nothing more than a social security check, never mind a pension, and not one of them has ever had second thoughts. Whether a seasonal expat or full time, they all seem to enjoy where they were at.

If I were you, I would strongly consider a month long trip to Pattaya, reserve here (in low season you could probably grab a unit as a walk up) and see how it goes. Everything you need for your daily living needs, as well as your nightly entertainment wants, can be found within a few minutes of you walking out your door.

BlueDevil
10-06-2016, 04:44 PM
I live in a brand new 1650 square feet townhome with 4 bedrooms and 5 baths for $450 US per month. It is an Estrato 4 neighborhood, so I am surrounded with pretty decent neighbors who are educated and have pretty good incomes. (Although, this does not necessarily guarantee an asshole-free environment). My utilities (phone, gas, water electric, electric, internet, sewer, garbage, cable TV) run less than $140 US per month. When I lived in NJ, I had gas and electric bills that exceeded my monthly rent here during the winter and summer respectively. I have a nice warm feeling every month that I will have enough money to have fun with or salt away. :iconTU:

The Sage
10-06-2016, 06:17 PM
That was my pattern during my extended stay in Sosua. Hold down a favorita until she moved on then sample the local hoe pool until I found another. Contrary to what some would believe it's less a relationship with a favorita and more of a mutual convience. She's typically just biding her time until a better deal comes along or she heads back home. We both liked the known quantity part of the arrangement and no doubt she enjoyed the steady income. The funny thing to me was typically nobody wanted anything serious with the chick until they saw her with me. It was like you bucked a bronco then afterward someone stole your horse.

While I'm a monger at heart the constant swirl of personalities often would grate on my nerves so familiarity was something I craved and sought out. Only gave up my freedom to choose with one of those numerous favoritas. Falling in love with a working girl can be a really unpleasant experience. Even being in the "chulo" seat didnt make it tolerable. Shook me up so bad that now if I have even a twinge of jealousy for a worker I'm moving on.

One thing I found strange about the working girl community was the they all expected you to have a wife or novia. It's as if as a man of means you should be taking care of a family. The family did not have to be theirs yet as a man you needed a woman to call your own. Being solely a womanizer without commitments was looked at as a wasteful way to lead your life. Now having this wife/novia in their view did not mean you couldn't buy pussy as often as you wanted and definitely wasn't going to stop them from fucking you; however, a man having a center or family life was something they thought was very important.

I can only speak of Sosua, but the chicas, camaraderie of other expats (not for everyone) and lower cost of living are the big benefits. On the downside you live among poor people with little education and common sense. In addition the infrastructure is poor (roads, sidewalks, electrical, water and trash). For many, it takes a period of time to adapt and get used to the place and it may not be for everyone. If your budget permits, a trip every three months to another more developed town or travel is recommended for mental health... But, being an expat, I like living here near Sosua, although I am not fully retired yet. Regarding a slowing down or settling down, it depends on the person. If one was a monger before coming here I think most never fully stop, but they may slow down. Everyone is different, their budgets are different, how they learn to deal with the chicas as an expat is a factor and they may also go through cycles. Some slow down when they have a favorita chica they hang with for a while, but when that chica leaves they get more active until they find another favorita.

Hunter
10-06-2016, 06:17 PM

Excellent point. And count me in on needing to get out of 3rd world for mental health. After 3-4 weeks in Phillipines I am ready to get the hell out of there...lol... Get me back to good food and cool weather. PI is dirty hot and smelly...lol...

The hardest thing I believe living overseas is what you do to pass your time. You cant chase hookers 52 weeks a year. So if you are in Angeles City what do you do. Darts, Pool, booze, and women - how long can you do that? That is why there are so many alcholoic expats you see traveling.

Guy on Phillipine addicts is now in Deumaggon. Its a small town south of Cebu that has good diving. He is living with this much younger live-in. He said he is bored to tears. Nothing to do.

So I think where you choose to live is important. Blue Devil in Medellin is a nice place. That to me is more normal not living in hooker poverty.

Westy you got a setup like me in that your townhouse is owned and only paying property taxes. You aint giving that up. I know you. Going back and eating good crab and sailing is worth holding onto that and keeping your mental heath vs living in Subic fulltime sweating...3-4 months living overseas and 8 months normal USA living is my ideal plan.

greydread
10-06-2016, 07:14 PM
One thing I found strange about the working girl community was the they all expected you to have a wife or novia. It's as if as a man of means you should be taking care of a family. The family did not have to be theirs yet as a man you needed a woman to call your own. Being solely a womanizer without commitments was looked at as a wasteful way to lead your life. Now having this wife/novia in their view did not mean you couldn't buy pussy as often as you wanted and definitely wasn't going to stop them from fucking you; however, a man having a center or family life was something they thought was very important.
That apparent moral hypocrisy is what allows them to do what they do without remorse. In their minds they are doing a public service. When they settle down with Husbands of their own they will expect him to go out and follow the same pattern as her former clients. That's her "moral leverage" against him.

It sounds fucked up but it's been working in every civilization known to Man since the invention of money.

Westy
10-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Excellent point. And count me in on needing to get out of 3rd world for mental health. After 3-4 weeks in Phillipines I am ready to get the hell out of there...lol... Get me back to good food and cool weather. PI is dirty hot and smelly...lol...

The hardest thing I believe living overseas is what you do to pass your time. You cant chase hookers 52 weeks a year. So if you are in Angeles City what do you do. Darts, Pool, booze, and women - how long can you do that? That is why there are so many alcoholic expats you see traveling.

You've got a very valid point about "what you do to pass your time." As a tourist, my problem tends to be one of too little time, and too much that I want to see and do ... and sometimes, I let mongering take second place to other interests and curiosities. (Remember how I almost beat Nakom's "unlucky streak," (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?431450-01-2016-Feb-invasion-2016&p=1372016#post1372016) on my Philippines trip last Jan/Feb?) I've had some nice visits to Mongerville, where bar-hopping and skirt-chasing are the main events, but I wouldn't want to live there. I would at least demand a decent beach and interesting diving. Subic Bay could work out well for that.

So I think where you choose to live is important. Blue Devil in Medellin is a nice place. That to me is more normal not living in hooker poverty.

Westy you got a setup like me in that your townhouse is owned and only paying property taxes. You aint giving that up. I know you. Going back and eating good crab and sailing is worth holding onto that and keeping your mental heath vs living in Subic fulltime sweating...3-4 months living overseas and 8 months normal USA living is my ideal plan.

I wouldn't say "I ain't giving that up," but I'd have to have a very solid plan for my future before I would sell the house and move for keeps. I would not go into it half-cocked, even if Miss Wild Orchid were leading me that way by the cock. :rofl:

I could see myself playing the part-time-expat game, though -- maybe a month or two downrange in a rented condo, like Mr. Smooth and Snoozer; maybe even keeping a place on year-round lockdown and spending half the year home, half the year there, like SeaWeed. I will acknowledge that it would be a lot nicer for me to have a boat in my Part-Time Paradise, to go sailing while I was there, when I felt like it.

Jimmydr
10-06-2016, 07:33 PM
You've got a very valid point about "what you do to pass your time." As a tourist, my problem tends to be one of too little time, and too much that I want to see and do ... and sometimes, I let mongering take second place to other interests and curiosities. (Remember how I almost beat Nakom's "unlucky streak," (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?431450-01-2016-Feb-invasion-2016&p=1372016#post1372016) on my Philippines trip last Jan/Feb?) I've had some nice visits to Mongerville, where bar-hopping and skirt-chasing are the main events, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I wouldn't say "I ain't giving that up," but I'd have to have a very solid plan for my future before I would sell the house and move for keeps. I would not go into it half-cocked, even if Miss Wild Orchid were leading me that way by the cock. :rofl: I could see myself playing the part-time-expat game, though -- maybe a month or two downrange in a rented condo, like Mr. Smooth and Snoozer; maybe even keeping a place on year-round lockdown and spending half the year home, half the year there, like SeaWeed. I will acknowledge that it would be a lot nicer for me to have a boat in my Part-Time Paradise, to go sailing while I was there, when I felt like it....

How do you spend your time in the US? Why would it be different?

Westy
10-06-2016, 07:37 PM

It wouldn't be all that much different. I could just as easily spend too much time on the Internet there, as I do here.

Hunter
10-06-2016, 07:39 PM
You've got a very valid point about "what you do to pass your time." As a tourist, my problem tends to be one of too little time, and too much that I want to see and do ... and sometimes, I let mongering take second place to other interests and curiosities. (Remember how I almost beat Nakom's "unlucky streak," (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?431450-01-2016-Feb-invasion-2016&p=1372016#post1372016) on my Philippines trip last Jan/Feb?) I've had some nice visits to Mongerville, where bar-hopping and skirt-chasing are the main events, but I wouldn't want to live there. I would at least demand a decent beach and interesting diving. Subic Bay could work out well for that.

I wouldn't say "I ain't giving that up," but I'd have to have a very solid plan for my future before I would sell the house and move for keeps. I would not go into it half-cocked, even if Miss Wild Orchid were leading me that way by the cock. :rofl:

I could see myself playing the part-time-expat game, though -- maybe a month or two downrange in a rented condo, like Mr. Smooth and Snoozer; maybe even keeping a place on year-round lockdown and spending half the year home, half the year there, like SeaWeed. I will acknowledge that it would be a lot nicer for me to have a boat in my Part-Time Paradise, to go sailing while I was there, when I felt like it.

Seaweed has said online and to me after 8 weeks or so living in Negril the lane starts to get to him and he needs to go back to USA. So even the Weed needs a break from his der paradise

Jimmydr
10-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Seaweed has said online and to me after 8 weeks or so living in Negril the lane starts to get to him and he needs to go back to USA. So even the Weed needs a break from his der paradise

Negril is a much smaller place.

Jimmydr
10-06-2016, 07:43 PM
It wouldn't be all that much different. I could just as easily spend too much time on the Internet there, as I do here.

Over there, you may have many more buddies to hang with, get a coffee or just chill with.

Hunter
10-06-2016, 07:43 PM
Negril is a much smaller place.

He never leaves the lane so it real small :wink:

Jimmydr
10-06-2016, 07:44 PM
He never leaves the lane so it real small :wink:

Meddy is a much bigger place so there is more to do or not do. I can sit and have coffee for an hour and then move to the next spot.

Westy
10-06-2016, 07:54 PM
Westy, I have been doing this for years, mostly for my own entertainment and knowledge of the current economic situation. Just google "Pattaya condos for rent" and you will see the plethora of available rentals, both with beach view and inland....

If I were you, I would strongly consider a month long trip to Pattaya, reserve here (in low season you could probably grab a unit as a walk up) and see how it goes. Everything you need for your daily living needs, as well as your nightly entertainment wants, can be found within a few minutes of you walking out your door.

Thanks -- that is pretty close to what I'd like to do. I remember from my 2014 trip that Snoozer was settling in for a good long stay (I went back to my thread, and found where he said three months). But even though Pattaya is definitely Mongerville on steroids, the diving was kind of mucky and I might find out Phuket is a better choice for me.

It doesn't surprise me that a month's rent in a condo can cost less than a week's stay in a hotel. Staying that way, staying that long, also gives one time for a much more in-depth experience of the place. I haven't come to that point in my life, though, at which I can stay out-of-town for a month or two ... but that time is coming, and maybe soon.

(On edit: What is "low season" in Pattaya?)

Jimmydr
10-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Thanks -- that is pretty close to what I'd like to do. I remember from my 2014 trip that Snoozer was settling in for a good long stay (I went back to my thread, and found where he said three months). But even though Pattaya is definitely Mongerville on steroids, the diving was kind of mucky and I might find out Phuket is a better choice for me.

It doesn't surprise me that a month's rent in a condo can cost less than a week's stay in a hotel. Staying that way, staying that long, also gives one time for a much more in-depth experience of the place. I haven't come to that point in my life, though, at which I can stay out-of-town for a month or two ... but that time is coming, and maybe soon.

You could get a two bedroom and rent out the second room to people you know?

Westy
10-06-2016, 07:59 PM

As you did in Medellin?

Jimmydr
10-06-2016, 08:01 PM
As you did in Medellin?

I am not retired. may not be.

yayow
10-06-2016, 09:16 PM

Exactly .......

Don't know what would be different if I was retired and lived in the states. Except my bills being higher, only thing that may be different from some, would be family, but like many I know you can always hop on a plane, to visit.

Oh yeah what would be different, let me see? I would have to have a winter wardrobe, I would have to shovel snow on occasion, oh yeah couldn't play golf as often, because of the higher priced greens fee. Would have to pay more for my heating neccesites, during the winter months. My housing costs would be higher. I would be chasing women probably in their 40's or 50's, so I could get laid . And would have to listen to their 40 and 50 year old complaints about the men that had been in their lives.

I am sure there are a lot or many other things that may or could be different, but I have to stop now from listing them, because I am depressing myself!

BlueDevil
10-06-2016, 11:25 PM

I spent the last 10 - 12 of my working years planning retirement. I was getting sick and tired of living in the US... the fact that I was living in the armpit of the world, Camden County, NJ, didn't help either. I retired with comfortable pension income that I probably could have marked time in NJ for the rest of my life. However, I had no intention of spending another minute longer in the house I had lived in for the past 25 1/2 years. I remember locking the doors for the last time, and then driving off. My wife turned to me and asked, "Don't you want to look at the house for the last time?" I shook my head and said, "No...I'm never looking back." I think not having a lot of family in the States made it easier for me to part ways. I still think a lot about my brother and the friends I left behind, but thanks to modern technology, I can keep in touch with them as much (or as little as I wish). I was also getting disgusted with the direction the US had taken over the past 20 years... and every time I flip on the US news channels down here, the country appears to worsen, IMHO. I will be the first to say that Colombia is not for everyone, and that it takes some getting used to, but at least here, I feel a sense of freedom I hadn't felt in the US for a very long time. I don't mean to sound unpatriotic, because I still love my country, but not so much its government (and perhaps, its society).

I enjoy my trips back to the States. Seeing old friends and familiar places warms my heart and makes me smile. Dropping in on my old American Legion buddies, Monday lunches with retired co-workers, mini-reunions with high school classmates, and unplanned road trips are a few of the things I like to do when back in NJ. Last August, I flew to the States solo for the purpose of attending my 45th High School Reunion at the Jersey Shore. It was held at the old firehouse where we had our 7th and 8th grade dances. That was a ton of nostalgia for all us. Throughout the remainder of my stay in NJ, I was able to spend time with classmates I hadn't seen in a long time... some since Richard Nixon was in office. My two weeks at the Jersey Shore were priceless. But you know what? After the first week, I was beginning to miss my home... and paisita wife. In many ways, I've "gone local" and adapted to the sometimes odd ways of the paisas. Yet, in other respects, I've clung to certain American traits and traditions that have helped me survive, and maintain my sanity, in my new adopted land.

Just like the Lewis and Clark Expedition, it helps to have a "Sacajawea" at your side who can help you ride the figurative rapids and bridge the cultural and social gaps of your new homeland. In my case, I am fortunate. My paisa wife does an excellent job of keeping my ass out of the fire. In all honesty, I doubt that I could have thrived, the way I have, in my adopted country without her.

Westy
10-07-2016, 10:52 AM

As you did in Medellin?

I am not retired. may not be.

Oh, I see what you mean ... I was thinking about how we shared the 3-bedroom flat in Laureles, last April.

I suppose it would be a friendly gesture, to have a spare bedroom for a visiting monger; but I am too used to living alone, to having my own space that's all my own. And it's not as though I'd need the extra income. I'm living comfortably on-my-own in one of the USA's most expensive counties to live in; why would I need a roomie to make ends meet, in my Third World Punani Paradise?

I might want to make room for a night nurse, though ... :cheesygrin:

SeaWeed
10-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Most are older guys 65+ who are looking for a degree of tranquility with little drama.

yeah mi understand that totally......cause mi coming up on it now and you really do want "a degree of tranquility with little drama" when in your 60's
yeah banging different hot gurls every day or every other day is great when you a younger expat....but as you get older it really does wear on you.....
especially if you got the gurls coming back for more and more and you can't keep up with the "when mi gonna see you" shit......
that and some of the losers that you come across gets tiring too......no shows......show up late.....cancellations....disappearing acts...ha ha
just finding dem hot gurls continuously for this guy gets real old quick too....pulling dem off the street you often end up with hardcores.....
or fuck and run gurls....lol.....or druggies......or psychos....or just plain nasty over the hill hookers.......lol
then you got the gurls that don't want to cook or clean....or they only want to do this position or that position.....or dem lookie for extra dollars
or they don't want to do any more BBBJ's or Anal........tranquility with little drama sounds awesome to this guy.......for at least a couple weeks :rofl:

Westy
10-07-2016, 11:39 AM
I spent the last 10 - 12 of my working years planning retirement. I was getting sick and tired of living in the US... I was also getting disgusted with the direction the US had taken over the past 20 years... and every time I flip on the US news channels down here, the country appears to worsen, IMHO. I will be the first to say that Colombia is not for everyone, and that it takes some getting used to, but at least here, I feel a sense of freedom I hadn't felt in the US for a very long time. I don't mean to sound unpatriotic, because I still love my country, but not so much its government (and perhaps, its society).

I understand that all too well. This is not the America we grew up in; the boundaries haven't changed, but the politics and the society have slid a long way downhill. Is there any need to recount the ways? I'm just glad we can still "vote with our feet," and I hope that when I'm ready to GTFO, the going will still be good.

When I go, I won't be looking for "someplace like the old USA;" if I want that, I can stay at home. I know there will be things I miss about it (I can think of a few), but I wouldn't move unless it was clear to me that I'd have far more to gain than I'd be giving up.

I enjoy my trips back to the States. Seeing old friends and familiar places warms my heart and makes me smile. Dropping in on my old American Legion buddies, Monday lunches with retired co-workers, mini-reunions with high school classmates, and unplanned road trips are a few of the things I like to do when back in NJ. Last August, I flew to the States solo for the purpose of attending my 45th High School Reunion at the Jersey Shore. It was held at the old firehouse where we had our 7th and 8th grade dances. That was a ton of nostalgia for all us. Throughout the remainder of my stay in NJ, I was able to spend time with classmates I hadn't seen in a long time... some since Richard Nixon was in office. My two weeks at the Jersey Shore were priceless. But you know what? After the first week, I was beginning to miss my home... and paisita wife.

A bit of coincidence ... tomorrow is my 45th reunion. I'm a lot closer to it, though, about 25 miles one-way.

In many ways, I've "gone local" and adapted to the sometimes odd ways of the paisas. Yet, in other respects, I've clung to certain American traits and traditions that have helped me survive, and maintain my sanity, in my new adopted land.

Just like the Lewis and Clark Expedition, it helps to have a "Sacajawea" at your side who can help you ride the figurative rapids and bridge the cultural and social gaps of your new homeland. In my case, I am fortunate. My paisa wife does an excellent job of keeping my ass out of the fire. In all honesty, I doubt that I could have thrived, the way I have, in my adopted country without her.

When we got together at La Pampa, there seemed to be no question that you're happy together. That is a wonderful thing ... I don't see it for myself, though; I've been single all my life, and by now I'm quite set in my ways. But I know the old adage, "never say never."

SeaWeed
10-07-2016, 11:55 AM
On the downside you live among poor people with little education and common sense. In addition the infrastructure is poor (roads, sidewalks, electrical, water and trash). For many, it takes a period of time to adapt and get used to the place and it may not be for everyone. If your budget permits, a trip every three months to another more developed town or travel is recommended for mental health... But, being an expat, I like living here near Sosua, although I am not fully retired yet. Regarding a slowing down or settling down, it depends on the person. If one was a monger before coming here I think most never fully stop, but they may slow down. Everyone is different, their budgets are different, how they learn to deal with the chicas as an expat is a factor and they may also go through cycles. Some slow down when they have a favorita chica they hang with for a while, but when that chica leaves they get more active until they find another favorita.

boy mi can relate to this....tell ya after spending every day with local Jamaicans around you......it wears on you......
specially in a poverty stricken country like Jamaica....everyday der someone that has their hand out looking for some dollars....
some days it's over a dozen for this guy......bad enuff when dem offer a service like a BBBJ.....but for doing nuthin for da money......it gets real old
that and all the loud music and voices all over da place.....and it starts first thing in the morning....blah blah blah...or BOOM BOOM BOOM......lol
so after 3 months in paradise mi look forward to the break......recharge the batteries....peace and quiet...saves on da money....but no pussy....lol

yeah you slow down when you have a GFE......and they not to thrilled if they find out you banging one of der cousins or sistas......ha ha
but the feeling among most Jamaican gurls is that as long as dem staying/living with their guy....their guy can go out and sex who they want...
cause der man loves dem and not the gurls they are out sexing...lol...mi know some guys that have a gurl living with dem and have a gf or two also...

jose1234
10-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Meddy is a much bigger place so there is more to do or not do. I can sit and have coffee for an hour and then move to the next spot.

This is a good point. When I hear about guys who go to Pattaya they say the same thing. There are a lot more options in a larger city. Some people like the small town feel where they tend to know many of the expats, but others like the options for doing different things and eating different foods and such... There seems to be a few very good options out there, although I have not visited Columbia or Pattaya to be able to say. I know in the Dominican Republic, living here is different than vacationing here. So its probably best to spend some extra time in the place you think you may want to live in order to find out if its right for you.

Westy
10-07-2016, 05:55 PM
This is a good point. When I hear about guys who go to Pattaya they say the same thing. There are a lot more options in a larger city. Some people like the small town feel where they tend to know many of the expats, but others like the options for doing different things and eating different foods and such... There seems to be a few very good options out there, although I have not visited Columbia or Pattaya to be able to say. I know in the Dominican Republic, living here is different than vacationing here. So its probably best to spend some extra time in the place you think you may want to live in order to find out if its right for you.

Years ago, before I found out about the D.R., I bought the lecture set (MP3/PDF) from International Living's 2010 "Ultimate Conference" in Panama ... one of the early lectures was about this one couple's "6-3-6" plan for in-depth exploration to choose their new home. 6-3-6 meant that they started out with 6 weeks in the first place they were checking out ... followed that with 3 months, exploring some other destinations that fascinated them ... and then 6 months in a destination that's a strong candidate for "The Place."

Pretty obvious how something like this could work out ... the idea is to spend a few months living (not as a tourist) in your "dream destination," living more like the way you do at home, rather than the way you do on vacation. Not quite the same, of course; you want to take time to enjoy the things that draw you to the destination in the first place. (Hopefully there's more than just playing around with the chicas!)

Another thing I've heard is that it's a good idea to spend a couple of months living in your chosen destination, in the season when the weather's at its least appealing. I'm looking to get out of the four-season environment (in Maryland, that's spring, summer, fall, winter; in Canada, I've heard their seasons are almost-winter, winter, still-winter, and road-repair season.) The tropics generally have two seasons, dry and rainy, and two months in the rainy season might dampen my enthusiasm for living year-round in "de Islands, mon;" but that remains to be seen.

Well, when the time is right, I'll just have to "operate and find out."

Jimmydr
10-07-2016, 07:02 PM
Oh, I see what you mean ... I was thinking about how we shared the 3-bedroom flat in Laureles, last April.

I suppose it would be a friendly gesture, to have a spare bedroom for a visiting monger; but I am too used to living alone, to having my own space that's all my own. And it's not as though I'd need the extra income. I'm living comfortably on-my-own in one of the USA's most expensive counties to live in; why would I need a roomie to make ends meet, in my Third World Punani Paradise?

I might want to make room for a night nurse, though ... :cheesygrin:

With a spare room, if you rent it out one week a month, it covers the cost and you can have a vacation from the vacation.

who knows, after time, you may know 10 guys that you enjoy having over for a week at a time.

greydread
10-08-2016, 01:41 AM
Years ago, before I found out about the D.R., I bought the lecture set (MP3/PDF) from International Living's 2010 "Ultimate Conference" in Panama ... one of the early lectures was about this one couple's "6-3-6" plan for in-depth exploration to choose their new home. 6-3-6 meant that they started out with 6 weeks in the first place they were checking out ... followed that with 3 months, exploring some other destinations that fascinated them ... and then 6 months in a destination that's a strong candidate for "The Place."

Pretty obvious how something like this could work out ... the idea is to spend a few months living (not as a tourist) in your "dream destination," living more like the way you do at home, rather than the way you do on vacation. Not quite the same, of course; you want to take time to enjoy the things that draw you to the destination in the first place. (Hopefully there's more than just playing around with the chicas!)

Another thing I've heard is that it's a good idea to spend a couple of months living in your chosen destination, in the season when the weather's at its least appealing. I'm looking to get out of the four-season environment (in Maryland, that's spring, summer, fall, winter; in Canada, I've heard their seasons are almost-winter, winter, still-winter, and road-repair season.) The tropics generally have two seasons, dry and rainy, and two months in the rainy season might dampen my enthusiasm for living year-round in "de Islands, mon;" but that remains to be seen.

Well, when the time is right, I'll just have to "operate and find out."
Using the 6-3-6 approach I could be 110 before I find exactly the right spot. My 6-3-6 would work more like 3 months abroad, 6 weeks at home, 3 months in another international location....again, and again...and again....'till death do us part.

Jimmydr
10-08-2016, 07:06 AM
Using the 6-3-6 approach I could be 110 before I find exactly the right spot. My 6-3-6 would work more like 3 months abroad, 6 weeks at home, 3 months in another international location....again, and again...and again....'till death do us part.

But you have kids and we don't need to sit home alone in the US.

Westy
10-08-2016, 07:25 AM
That approach sounds good to me, too. :mrgreen:

Jimmy put it well in the "Expats Who Succeed" thread:

And if you never find it, so its one long adventure that you enjoyed:bigthumbup::bigthumbup::bigthumbup::bigthumbup::bigthumbup:

greydread
10-08-2016, 03:39 PM
But you have kids and we don't need to sit home alone in the US.
But my Kids are all grown, hell I've got a 21 year old Grandkid. They don't need me hanging around all the time telling them about how shit used to be.

I'll pick one to finance a home with and call it my permanent address even though I'll be spending less than 1/3 of the year there. They'll keep the battery charged on my Hover-Round while I'm overseas.

Hunter
10-08-2016, 04:58 PM
One thing to discover on these discussions is how everyones situation is so different.

Many of us have family in USA and just cant get up and leave. Especially if you are younger relatively in your 40s or 50s.

Yayow has family in DR so that is huge factor in living there at his relatively young age.

Some expats move to PI because it is there only option living on their military pension or social security ONLY.

Then there is the used car dealer who had that board (forget his name) with sweet million dollar villa in Puerto Plata and livin large.

Guess what it comes down to is what works for YOU. As Grey said ones mans paradise is anothers poison.

Westy
10-08-2016, 05:06 PM
But my Kids are all grown, hell I've got a 21 year old Grandkid. They don't need me hanging around all the time telling them about how shit used to be.

I'll pick one to finance a home with and call it my permanent address even though I'll be spending less than 1/3 of the year there. They'll keep the battery charged on my Hover-Round while I'm overseas.
That'll work out well, and they can take care of your mail and bills while you're gone, too.

I'll have to set up with a mail-forwarding service, once I'm ready to stay away more than a month at a time. Probably with St. Brendan's Isle, down in Florida -- you'd be surprised how many world-cruisers "live" there.

greydread
10-08-2016, 05:13 PM
I'll tell you one thing that will DEFINITELY change. With up to 3 months to kill I'll switch from the $50 Single trip visa to the $100 East Africa visa when visiting that region. It will give me access to Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda and Tanzania and I would like to come and go freely between all those places eventually.

I'd like to a road trip circumventing Lake Victoria, flying into Kisumu from either NBO or MBA and renting a Range Rover from Kisumu and drive through Kampala (Uganda), Kigali (Rwanda), Mwanza (Tanzania), spending a day or two in Serengeti National Park and Masai Mara before returning to Kisumu for the trip back to "civilization".

I'll need a lot more than two weeks to knock that one off my bucket list. :lol:

Jimmydr
10-08-2016, 05:20 PM
That'll work out well, and they can take care of your mail and bills while you're gone, too.

I'll have to set up with a mail-forwarding service, once I'm ready to stay away more than a month at a time. Probably with St. Brendan's Isle, down in Florida -- you'd be surprised how many world-cruisers "live" there.

Tell me more about down there?

greydread
10-08-2016, 05:25 PM
Tell me more about down there?
From Wiki:

Saint Brendan’s Isle, also spelled St Brendan’s Isle, is a phantom island (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_island), or mythical island, supposedly situated in the North Atlantic somewhere west of Northern Africa. It is named after the Saint Brendan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Brendan) who founded the Clonfert monastery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonfert)and monastic school. It is said to have been discovered by the saint and his followers while they were traveling across the ocean, evangelizing islands. It appeared on numerous maps in Christopher Columbus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus)'s time, most notably Martin Behaim (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Behaim)'sErdapfel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdapfel) of 1492. It is referred to as La isla de San Borondón or isla de Samborombón in Spanish.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Brendan%27s_Island#cite_note-1)
The first mention of the island was in the ninth-century Latin text Navigatio Sancti Brendani Abatis (Voyage of Saint Brendan the Abbot), placing the island into Irish and European folklore (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folklore).

Nice one! Go to Atlantis and turn left.

:smile:

yayow
10-08-2016, 05:28 PM
From Wiki:

Saint Brendan’s Isle, also spelled St Brendan’s Isle, is a phantom island (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_island), or mythical island, supposedly situated in the North Atlantic somewhere west of Northern Africa. It is named after the Saint Brendan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Brendan) who founded the Clonfert monastery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonfert)and monastic school. It is said to have been discovered by the saint and his followers while they were traveling across the ocean, evangelizing islands. It appeared on numerous maps in Christopher Columbus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus)'s time, most notably Martin Behaim (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Behaim)'sErdapfel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdapfel) of 1492. It is referred to as La isla de San Borondón or isla de Samborombón in Spanish.[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Brendan%27s_Island#cite_note-1)
The first mention of the island was in the ninth-century Latin text Navigatio Sancti Brendani Abatis (Voyage of Saint Brendan the Abbot), placing the island into Irish and European folklore (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folklore).

Grey sent you a pm, hit me up my brother, need a little 411.

Westy
10-08-2016, 05:30 PM
From Wiki:

Try this link: St. Brendan's Isle Mail Forwarding Service (https://www.sbimailservice.com/)

The name reflects their sense of history, mystery, and above all else, their sense of humor.

BlueDevil
10-09-2016, 02:19 AM

La senora and I have "lived" at St. Brendan's Isle since 2012. My "mortgage payments" are around $22 US per month. :iconTU: In two weeks we are going "home" to check out the storm damage from the hurricane and pick up some mail. We declared domicile there in 2012 and that is where I'm registered to vote. For ex-pats, I highly recommend this service.

Jimmydr
10-09-2016, 07:34 AM
La senora and I have "lived" at St. Brendan's Isle since 2012. My "mortgage payments" are around $22 US per month. :iconTU: In two weeks we are going "home" to check out the storm damage from the hurricane and pick up some mail. We declared domicile there in 2012 and that is where I'm registered to vote. For ex-pats, I highly recommend this service.

First you save me tons with the Amex car rental insurance and now this:iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU:

BlueDevil
10-09-2016, 08:29 AM
First you save me tons with the Amex car rental insurance and now this:iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU::iconTU:

What can I say, Jimmy... I try. :rolleyes: The system makes it difficult for US ex-pats. Many routine things that US citizens take for granted (like opening a US bank account) is not possible for an ex-pat without a US address. The US Patriot Act has messed with people's privacy and mobility. :mad:

Jimmydr
10-09-2016, 09:18 AM
What can I say, Jimmy... I try. :rolleyes: The system makes it difficult for US ex-pats. Many routine things that US citizens take for granted (like opening a US bank account) is not possible for an ex-pat without a US address. The US Patriot Act has messed with people's privacy and mobility. :mad:

They don't want people leaving.

MrHappy
10-09-2016, 11:38 AM

Amen. I'm glad I got out when I did.

greydread
10-09-2016, 06:24 PM

They DGAF about People leaving. They don't want MONEY leaving. They don't want CONTROL leaving.

You do realize that winning the "Gringo Lotto" is only the qualification round for this game, I'm sure.

Next time the jackpots get to a few hundred million look at the working poor ahead of you in line for "loot-o" tickets at the liquor store, 7-11 or gas station or bodega. What you are looking at is a long line of slaves standing at the tracks with their meager dollars in their hand, waiting....hoping that the "Freedom Train" will come along. It doesn't matter if they're in the East of West, North or South. Doesn't matter what they look like, who their Mamma and Daddy was, if you've got a SSAN you are a Slave. Your lifetime productivity is what backs the U.S. Dollar, not gold, not silver but People and their productivity potential.

Those who over-stand this and understand that to increase their perceived productivity they have to ignore the plight of a thousand working families when they have to make the "tough decision" to lay off 1,000 workers while maintaining their own salaries at 1,000x the average worker's pay. The easy answer to that "hard choice" is go get an honest job and let those people keep creating whatever it was that drives the profit in the 1st place but if you're going to talk shit to an overseer you'd better be able to snatch a silver dollar off the top of the backboard and leave 4 quarters in change.

Jimmydr
10-09-2016, 06:41 PM
They DGAF about People leaving. They don't want MONEY leaving. They don't want CONTROL leaving.

You do realize that winning the "Gringo Lotto" is only the qualification round for this game, I'm sure.

Next time the jackpots get to a few hundred million look at the working poor ahead of you in line for "loot-o" tickets at the liquor store, 7-11 or gas station or bodega. What you are looking at is a long line of slaves standing at the tracks with their meager dollars in their hand, waiting....hoping that the "Freedom Train" will come along. It doesn't matter if they're in the East of West, North or South. Doesn't matter what they look like, who their Mamma and Daddy was, if you've got a SSAN you are a Slave. Your lifetime productivity is what backs the U.S. Dollar, not gold, not silver but People and their productivity potential.

Those who over-stand this and understand that to increase their perceived productivity they have to ignore the plight of a thousand working families when they have to make the "tough decision" to lay off 1,000 workers while maintaining their own salaries at 1,000x the average worker's pay. The easy answer to that "hard choice" is go get an honest job and let those people keep creating whatever it was that drives the profit in the 1st place but if you're going to talk shit to an overseer you'd better be able to snatch a silver dollar off the top of the backboard and leave 4 quarters in change.

You got a million single guys leaving with Billions and spending it elsewhere.

greydread
10-09-2016, 07:39 PM
You got a million single guys leaving with Billions and spending it elsewhere.
True, that's why they make them buy round-trip tickets.

Have you looked at the taxes and fees on your flight itinerary. My last flight, 7K miles away was about $120 after taxes and airport fees. They get us when we make it, when we spend it and even when we try to access our money from an ATM (unless we have access to our bank) .

Just think. How many "Millennials" would line up around the block if they gave away a free iphone, a $500 gift certificate to "The Gap" and conferred a credit score (all 3 bureaus) of 850, cleansing previous credit history and offering a great start for the sole concession of accepting a sub-cutaneous R.F.I.D. chip from the gub-o-mint?

Banking industry in the USA controls the banking industry in the Caribbean. Let one of them refuse to release private banking info by someone with an SSAN...we'll find out who's running tings.

Jimmydr
10-09-2016, 07:52 PM
True, that's why they make them buy round-trip tickets.

Have you looked at the taxes and fees on your flight itinerary. My last flight, 7K miles away was about $120 after taxes and airport fees. They get us when we make it, when we spend it and even when we try to access our money from an ATM (unless we have access to our bank) .

Just think. How many "Millennials" would line up around the block if they gave away a free iphone, a $500 gift certificate to "The Gap" and conferred a credit score (all 3 bureaus) of 850, cleansing previous credit history and offering a great start for the sole concession of accepting a sub-cutaneous R.F.I.D. chip from the gub-o-mint?

Banking industry in the USA controls the banking industry in the Caribbean. Let one of them refuse to release private banking info by someone with an SSAN...we'll find out who's running tings.

You think its cheap to have a great country running smooth?

things cost money.

:corky:

greydread
10-09-2016, 08:56 PM
You think its cheap to have a great country running smooth?

things cost money.an abundance of resources

:corky:
You're right about it being a great country. I doubt that there's another nation so geographically and genetically diverse, blessed with an abundance of arable land and mineral wealth, great forests, seemingly never-ending grasslands, swamps, deltas, deserts, mountain ranges, rivers, lakes, valleys streams, islands, 2 oceans and the Gulf of Mexico, there's just no country like this anywhere else.

Problem with your statement is that it hasn't "run smooth" yet. I mean we're not on the brink of another Civil War or anything like that because I think the last one taught us that we'll have to find a way to get along and play nice if we're going to maintain a level of economic success that will get all our bills paid, but we're a long way from running smooth.

Jimmydr
10-10-2016, 06:03 AM
Problem with your statement is that it hasn't "run smooth" yet. I mean we're not on the brink of another Civil War or anything like that because I think the last one taught us that we'll have to find a way to get along and play nice if we're going to maintain a level of economic success that will get all our bills paid, but we're a long way from running smooth.

You want to fly someplace, we have 10,000 airports.

You want to drive someplace, tons of roads.

Breakdown, call a tow truck, anytime, anyplace.

Get sick, flash your medical card.

on and on and on

BlueDevil
10-10-2016, 07:56 AM

You want to drive someplace, tons of roads.

Breakdown, call a tow truck, anytime, anyplace.

Get sick, flash your medical card.

on and on and on

Yep, miss the convenience of organization and infrastructure sometimes. But, the Colombian medical care is pretty good here. Flash your cedula, and you get medical attention, but the system of referral and getting "specialty" drugs out of your EPS require more paper-shuffling than in the States. Even the people on SISBEN, the charity care program, get decent care including drugs and durable equipment. Colombia has a pretty decent network of airports. The national airlines provide inexpensive comprehensive coverage of the interior. When Colombia was totally dominated by the FARC, ELN, AUC, et al a few years back, it was impossible to travel by ground without running into problems. Out of necessity, Colombia developed an affordable air travel network with a lot of help from the government. The highway network in Colombia is limited by its topography. The national highway system is mostly two-lane highways that are not even the quality of the pre-US Interstate national highways (think county roads). Slowly but surely, new highways are being built in order to make the country competitive in terms of commerce and trade. National highways are concessions operated and maintained by private enterprises (many of which are foreign owned.) I've got a pretty good roadside service program with my supplemental insurace program underwritten by AIG.

Westy
10-10-2016, 12:40 PM

Just to pick on you and tease you about this, Jimmy, when was the last time you went to an airport with less than a 10,000-foot runway, control tower, radar, and a big terminal that you couldn't enter without going through body-scanners and X-ray machines?

For example, an airport like this one:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=93922&d=1390923734

I've got 10,000 airports, or I did when I was an active pilot. You've got about 400.

Jimmydr
10-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Just to pick on you and tease you about this, Jimmy, when was the last time you went to an airport with less than a 10,000-foot runway, control tower, radar, and a big terminal that you couldn't enter without going through body-scanners and X-ray machines?

For example, an airport like this one:

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=93922&d=1390923734)

I've got 10,000 airports, or I did when I was an active pilot. You've got about 400.

Vancouver Island, & Portland Maine.