Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 08:57 AM
We need a thread 'Expats That Succeed' :luck:

What fun is that?

Yayow has succeeded!

Happy has succeeded!!

Cam has succeeded!!!!

Blue Devil has Succeeded!!!

That is just 4 that come to mind and I know I missed at least another 4 others.

This is kind of boring as a topic:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hunter
10-04-2016, 09:01 AM
Pension
no pension
Pension
Pension

:p

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 09:03 AM
Pension
no pension
Pension
Pension

But one with no pension has a great job in country.

See a trend here?

None are under 35 either.

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 09:10 AM
Its amazing when people say it takes balls to get up, go to a place like Sosua and try at your fantasy.

I love get paid lots of money.

many have looked and saw that they can't make any money in these places but they will work 70 hours a week and at the end, be burned out.

BigLongBeach
10-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Add dmv

rahsta
10-04-2016, 10:39 AM
What fun is that?

Yayow has succeeded!

Happy has succeeded!!

Cam has succeeded!!!!

Blue Devil has Succeeded!!!

That is just 4 that come to mind and I know I missed at least another 4 others.

This is kind of boring as a topic:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think years at being an ex-pats counts. Can a being an ex-pat for 2 years count as a success story?

yayow
10-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Add dmv

For sure, DMV is a great example.

There are many that we could add up in Sosua and Cabarete as well, too many to list. Many never been " mongers" as what we know that term to mean. Many of the guys that we hang with on the Conde, or in the boathouse for example. Many of the Italians or Canadians I see everyday in Boca Chica, multiply that with the thousands of ex-pats that populate the capital. Most do it their own way, some work, some live on retirement funds or pensions, some are independently wealthy. Lots of ways to make it work.

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Add dmv

We each can make a long list.

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 10:57 AM
I think years at being an ex-pats counts. Can a being an ex-pat for 2 years count as a success story?

If you want it to, it can.:bigthumbup::bigthumbup:

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 10:58 AM
some are independently wealthy. Lots of ways to make it work.

That works well

camaro1257
10-04-2016, 11:04 AM

EXCELLENT point as I cannot compare to Yayow!

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 11:09 AM

He found his place and one day, you will as well. The search is part of the adventure.

Westy
10-04-2016, 11:18 AM
We need a thread 'Expats That Succeed' :luck:
And now we have one ... Thanks, Jimmy!

That said ... how do we define "expats that succeed?"

Will we limit our discussion to people working in the local economy, making a success of their business? (Mr Happy, for example, and the hotelier formerly known as Ohmmm.)

Will we include people who live expat on their pensions, or their retirement funds? (Yayow, Camaro, Blue Devil, and how many others?)

Are we going to limit the discussion to the "sexpat" mongers of ISOC, and maybe other like-minded boards, or will we also discuss the International Living expats who don't monger, or for whom mongering is just an incidental side-issue?

And how about part-timers, like SeaWeed, or "once-upon-a-timers," who lived it and then moved home, which seems to be what Rahsta is talking about?

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 11:24 AM
And now we have one ... Thanks, Jimmy!

That said ... how do we define "expats that succeed?"

Will we limit our discussion to people working in the local economy, making a success of their business? (Mr Happy, for example, and the hotelier formerly known as Ohmmm.)

Will we include people who live expat on their pensions, or their retirement funds? (Yayow, Camaro, Blue Devil, and how many others?)

I for one have no plans of working or owning a business in any country.

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Are we going to limit the discussion to the "sexpat" mongers of ISOC, and maybe other like-minded boards, or will we also discuss the International Living expats who don't monger, or for whom mongering is just an incidental side-issue?

You mean there are guys that spent no money on any chicas while in country?

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 11:27 AM

They are the most successful of all of them.

Westy
10-04-2016, 11:34 AM
To go on ... what constitutes success, for an expat?

Again, we know a few who set up in business in their new land, and made a very good go of it. I've already named a couple; we have others, right here on the board. There are also those who set up a successful business, ran it for years, then sold it off and actually retired ... and are still living downrange, and enjoying their life. Very cool, indeed!

How about the retiree, the pensioner, who moves offshore for the sake of having a better life on their retirement income? What rates our "success" label better -- the guys who "go native" and assimilate more-or-less into the local culture, or the ones who trade up from a trailer-park in Florida to a nice house in a gated community in "the Islands," or Mexico, Central America, South America, the Philippines, Thailand...?

And do we take off points for living downrange, but spending a lot of time bitching about it? :rofl:

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 11:36 AM

:rofl:

When an Ex Pat goes online to get money for an operation or a plane ticket home, he is not a winner.

When an Ex Pat owes everyone money, not a winner.

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 11:37 AM
And do we take off points for living downrange, but spending a lot of time bitching about it? :rofl:

What would downrange be?

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 11:42 AM

:rofl:

You are at home in the States and Bobby lives in Sosua with a bar he opened last year.

Yayow is tossing a party this Saturday so you decide that you will fly in for a week.

Bobby can't because he works 7 days 12 hours a day in Sosua.

Who really is the success?

A - Yayow on Pension in Boca
B - westy on Pension in States
C - Bobby working in Sosua

You can pick 1 or 2 or 3 if you like

Westy
10-04-2016, 11:48 AM
What would downrange be?
OCONUS, or the "operations area" ... I borrow that from my former employer ....

Like the "beachhead" for our Invasions. :rofl:

camaro1257
10-04-2016, 11:50 AM
He found his place and one day, you will as well. The search is part of the adventure.

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag110/camaro1257/mems/Exactly_zpsuv83ourt.png (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/camaro1257/media/mems/Exactly_zpsuv83ourt.png.html)

I have a long way to go but I am enjoying the ride.

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Click to see pic (http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag110/camaro1257/mems/Exactly_zpsuv83ourt.png)

And if you never find it, so its one long adventure that you enjoyed:bigthumbup::bigthumbup::bigthumbup::bigthumbup::bigthumbup:

BlueDevil
10-04-2016, 11:53 AM
What is the meaning of success? :confused: Success for me means being happy, and being able to do as little (or as much) as I want to do with no constraints of time or demands. I've lived in Colombia for 5 years, and pretty much achieved that standard. If I had to earn a living here, I probably would not be here. A number of ex-pats have come to Colombia, with the idea of starting a business. Even with a lot of hard work and commitment, few seem to make it. Some of the retired ex-pats (eg with pensions or annuities) I've met here are bored and lead lives that are like a rudderless ship. Others, who prided themselves on their mongering exploits, have found a paisa novia or wife, and are now "settled down." The ex-pat enclave in my pueblo are a pretty good bunch of guys who watch out for each other. I am among the youngest ex-pats living here, and I would say the median age of this group is around 70. We have a few assholes here, but most are OK... but not without their quirks. :wink:

Other than my 4 years in high school, my retirement years have been the happiest time in my life. I've been married to a paisa for over 6 years (Some of you know her well). We have an active social life here, and do a lot of traveling with our friends and the family. My wife is active in real estate which keeps her busy (and usually keeps me busy, too) Those who told me that "You will get bored in retirement" are full of shit. I love retirement! :bigthumbup:

Westy
10-04-2016, 11:54 AM
You are at home in the States and Bobby lives in Sosua with a bar he opened last year.

Yayow is tossing a party this Saturday so you decide that you will fly in for a week.

Yayow, definitely, in my book.
Bobby, maybe -- if he's making coin and not bleeding out his bankroll.
Westy isn't an expat. (Not yet.)

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Yayow, definitely, in my book.
Bobby, maybe -- if he's making coin and not bleeding out his bankroll.
Westy isn't an expat. (Not yet.)

Westy has the option of checking out the entire world before picking.

bobby has no free time or coin.

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 11:56 AM
What is the meaning of success? :confused: Success for me means being happy, and being able to do as little (or as much) as I want to do with no constraints of time or demands. I've lived in Colombia for 5 years, and pretty much achieved that standard. If I had to earn a living here, I probably would not be here. A number of ex-pats have come to Colombia, with the idea of starting a business. Even with a lot of hard work and commitment, few seem to make it. Some of the retired ex-pats (eg with pensions or annuities) I've met here are bored and lead lives that are like a rudderless ship. Others, who prided themselves on their mongering exploits, have found a paisa novia or wife, and are now "settled down." The ex-pat enclave in my pueblo are a pretty good bunch of guys who watch out for each other. I am among the youngest ex-pats living here, and I would say the median age of this group is around 70. We have a few assholes here, but most are OK... but not without their quirks. :wink:

:bigthumbup:

Is there some Hotels there? Might stop by during my month in Meddy in 2017.

Westy
10-04-2016, 11:57 AM
Click to see pic (http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag110/camaro1257/mems/Exactly_zpsuv83ourt.png)

Can't resist that quote from the Grateful Dead ...

I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlMjdwb6HY0

BlueDevil
10-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Is there some Hotels there? Might stop by during my month in Meddy in 2017.

Yeah, you should. There are two small hotels in town "en el parque." That C&W you saw in my FB last night is the best one I've ever visited. It's just down the road from us. :wink: Plenty of pretty pueblo girls, and Medellin women who come here to "parranda."

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 12:02 PM
Yeah, you should. There are two small hotels in town "en el parque." That C&W you saw in my FB last night is the best one I've ever visited. It's just down the road from us. :wink: Plenty of pretty pueblo girls, and Medellin women who come here to "parranda."

We will talk more and i will be there during my 6 week trip in 2017.:corky:

Westy
10-04-2016, 12:14 PM

Other than my 4 years in high school, my retirement years have been the happiest time in my life. I've been married to a paisa for over 6 years (Some of you know her well). We have an active social life here, and do a lot of traveling with our friends and the family. My wife is active in real estate which keeps her busy (and usually keeps me busy, too) Those who told me that "You will get bored in retirement" are full of shit. I love retirement! :bigthumbup:

I will definitely sign on with your definition of success!

When and if I make the big move, my new life is likely to be radically different from yours ... I may even try to fit that new life into a sailboat, cruising through the Islands, mon. But I won't be bored or "rudderless," living in "Paradise," any more than I am living here at home.

greydread
10-04-2016, 01:09 PM
And if you never find it, so its one long adventure that you enjoyed:bigthumbup::bigthumbup::bigthumbup::bigthumbup::bigthumbup:
I think this is the whole point. As long as the ex-patriot feels it was worth his time, effort and money then who can argue with his "success"? Like with any major move, how, where and when play crucial roles in the decision. Financing is probable the primary concern and in most of the places folks choose to relocate to their spending power and lifestyle is important. Once that has been determined (easily done for most US retirees) the where becomes equally important. There are guys who retired to the P.I. who would hate living in the D.R. and vice versa. The culture of a place has to match the personality of the ex-pat. Who wants to make a major move, settle in and think "I really don't like this place all that much". That is probably where I would fail. I've fallen in and out of love with enough destinations over the years to understand the imperative that I keep a short term lease and bags packed.

For instance, the year that I took my 1st trip to the D.R. it was the result of me and a couple friends hanging around our townhouse in Sint Maarten, entertaining a group of fantastic Dominicanas and coming up with the collective logic of "Hey, we really like peaches, we should probably take a trip to the orchard". So we booked a trip to the D.R. and as soon as we got back we booked the next trip and so it went with us turning our backs on Sint Maarten to get more time in the D.R. and there were 10 trips just in the 1st two years. That's what I call falling in live with a place. As the years passed we'd cheat on our new found love a little, taking a trip a year to some other destination and then I realized that I was taking fewer trips to the D.R. with my buddies and venturing out on my own more often. After the 1st Negril invasion I came home and booked the next two trips there for 6 and 10 weeks out. The Dominican Republic had lost her grip on me for the most part, I still went on every 2nd or 3rd trip but it just wasn't the same for me and still isn't. I also changed my travel patterns when in the country, opting for Boca Chica rather than the Capital because it's easier there to just do nothing some days whereas in Santo Domingo I was ripping and running non-stop. A Man's got to know his limits.

I haven't been back to the D.R. since the July 2015 invasion which I enjoyed, especially spending a little time with old friends and new. Nowadays I'll go to a place like El Batey and where I would run around with my tongue wagging years ago I just kind of try to find something I like and get the Hell out of there. Since that trip I've been back to Negril twice just to change flavors but it was the September 2015 trip to Kenya that stoked the flames and I've returned twice since. New love! This pattern leads me to believe that I would be unhappy as an ex-pat no matter where I went. Not to be able to get on I-95 on a whim and take my grand kids fishing on the weekend or get together with my Kids for a spur of the moment dinner date would suck for me. Then I'd be on the beach in Shanzu looking at a trip to Mumbai or Vietnam. I wouldn't be a Man with two countries, I'd be stateless. So when I see Guys going for the ex-patriot lifestyle and finding their groove I am happy for them but with the caviat: "Don't try this at home, boys and girls." Like I said, a Man's got to know his limits.

Westy
10-04-2016, 03:33 PM
I think this is the whole point. As long as the ex-patriot feels it was worth his time, effort and money then who can argue with his "success"? ...

...So when I see Guys going for the ex-patriot lifestyle and finding their groove I am happy for them but with the caviat: "Don't try this at home, boys and girls." Like I said, a Man's got to know his limits.

Well-said, sir, and completely inarguable, because that's about your life. The guy who's living out there, and loving it -- that's about his life. The only time the two spheres overlap are when you visit his town, or vice-versa.

I'm looking at expatriation as an alluring, but uncertain, possibility; so it's wise of me to consider your argument, your perspective. But your situation is different (Grandkids? I've got no kids!) and I have lived way within my potential limits (lived my entire life in the D.C. suburbs, and my longest trips away from home have been, like, three weeks). So rather than "I've got to know my limits," I'm more in the position of "I haven't found my limits." The lure of the expat experience has been lodged in me since I looked around the harbor of Piriapolis, Uruguay, and speculated, how would it be to live here? And I've asked myself the same question in a few other far-away places with strange-sounding names, since that day.

Still, I am prudent (or timid) enough that I want a lifeline back to the old-and-familiar, when I'm ready to go test my limits. I'm definitely not ready to sell/give-away/trash everything that won't fit in two big suitcases, or even a good-sized sailboat, and run away from home for good. That's not going to happen for a while ... if ever. But I may be taking longer trips, in the fairly-near future, long enough to get a feel for the expat life.

That promises to be the next step of my own "long adventure."

Westy
10-04-2016, 03:39 PM

You know, we have room here for D - Grumpy on pension in Sosua, putting up with his wife griping about the working girls on the beach.

Now THERE's the Biggest Loser. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 04:33 PM
You know, we have room here for D - Grumpy on pension in Sosua, putting up with his wife griping about the working girls on the beach.

Now THERE's the Biggest Loser. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I never met any of those guys.

Westy
10-04-2016, 04:55 PM
I never met any of those guys.
Maybe not in Sosua, but haven't you been talking about them in your workplace? :wink:

They're out there ....

Jimmydr
10-04-2016, 04:56 PM
Maybe not in Sosua, but haven't you been talking about them in your workplace? :wink:

They're out there ....

You said grumpy in Sosua??

They were dump enough to bring a wife, too bad for them.

yayow
10-04-2016, 08:27 PM

Not so, but thanks!

You know I enjoy the way Cam, does his thing, and I learn stuff from him, as we bounce things off each other; he is a bit more conservative then I am in regards to how he mongers, but that has more to do with our different personalities than anything else. We both tend to go hard, but a bit differently, that is why I like to tweak him on occasion:wink:. But being a little more analytical as he is, is not a bad thing, and I realize that. I tend to be more, damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead with my mongering technique, where he happens to be more, let's hold on a second, and see what's, what. His will keep you out of unnecessary bullshit, but I am good with bullshit, keeps it interesting for me.

Reminds me of my early Santo domingo forays with prtyr2, good man, spent a lot of time showing me the ropes in santo domingo, he has retired from mongering now, has a beautiful and lovely wife, they seem very happy together, and travel the world together. He actually is an example of a monger/ ex-monger that gets it, knew all the spots in his day, had many lovely women along the way, then found the right one, they were friends first, then it blossomed into what it is now, I know this cause I was there when they first got together, and we talked about all kinds of things back then. Found a sweet and decent girl, not involved in the game at all, and they built a life together, simply excellent!

He is an example that it can be done!

Just don't know if I can do it, at least at this time in my life, but who knows:rolleyes:

yayow
10-04-2016, 08:40 PM

Again, we know a few who set up in business in their new land, and made a very good go of it. I've already named a couple; we have others, right here on the board. There are also those who set up a successful business, ran it for years, then sold it off and actually retired ... and are still living downrange, and enjoying their life. Very cool, indeed!

How about the retiree, the pensioner, who moves offshore for the sake of having a better life on their retirement income? What rates our "success" label better -- the guys who "go native" and assimilate more-or-less into the local culture, or the ones who trade up from a trailer-park in Florida to a nice house in a gated community in "the Islands," or Mexico, Central America, South America, the Philippines, Thailand...?

Excellent points made in this and the preceding post of yours. Success is differently defined by different people, and different goals and desires. That is what I was thinking, exactly what makes you a success? I don't know. By what I want in my life, I am very happy, which is my goal, so for me, in my mind I am successful, someone else looking at my life maybe not so much.

I think what makes you successful is when you can look in that mirror and have a smile on your face, having said that; are there more things I want to accomplish, more things I want to experience? Of course there are, after all I am not dead so there will always be other things, but for right now, I am cool:bigthumbup:. Not guaranteed to always be that way, but for now that is good!

I try to live in the present, past is gone nothing I can do about that, future hasn't got here yet, so don't know what the challenges of that are, but hopefully my present, and my past will allow me to deal with those challenges no matter what they may be.

yayow
10-04-2016, 08:45 PM

Thank you, excellent post!

yayow
10-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Well-said, sir, and completely inarguable, because that's about your life. The guy who's living out there, and loving it -- that's about his life. The only time the two spheres overlap are when you visit his town, or vice-versa.

I'm looking at expatriation as an alluring, but uncertain, possibility; so it's wise of me to consider your argument, your perspective. But your situation is different (Grandkids? I've got no kids!) and I have lived way within my potential limits (lived my entire life in the D.C. suburbs, and my longest trips away from home have been, like, three weeks). So rather than "I've got to know my limits," I'm more in the position of "I haven't found my limits." The lure of the expat experience has been lodged in me since I looked around the harbor of Piriapolis, Uruguay, and speculated, how would it be to live here? And I've asked myself the same question in a few other far-away places with strange-sounding names, since that day.

Still, I am prudent (or timid) enough that I want a lifeline back to the old-and-familiar, when I'm ready to go test my limits. I'm definitely not ready to sell/give-away/trash everything that won't fit in two big suitcases, or even a good-sized sailboat, and run away from home for good. That's not going to happen for a while ... if ever. But I may be taking longer trips, in the fairly-near future, long enough to get a feel for the expat life.

That promises to be the next step of my own "long adventure."

Interesting and good point about the life line, and I understand it fully. I originally planned to have a life line, Indianapolis living not far from my aunt, half time there and half in the DR, kind of wading into the water up to my waist. But once I got there, realizing for me, my personality that wasn't for me, I had to dive in full bore, no other way for me to do it.

Lucky I guess so far it has worked for me, but understand the other way.

questner
10-04-2016, 10:26 PM

http://www.moya-planeta.ru/files/holder/c8/bf/c8bf8f7c19826e9f64b25c77689eb979.jpg

greydread
10-05-2016, 12:31 AM

Click to see pic (http://www.moya-planeta.ru/files/holder/c8/bf/c8bf8f7c19826e9f64b25c77689eb979.jpg)
I traveled to Santo Domingo with my Son a few years ago and he ran through Chicas faster than he could count them. He even got the receptionist to pay for the Cabana she took him to without spending a dime. A young Guy in his 20's, paying for Pum-Pum is strictly optional in the D.R. as there's a much higher possibility of hitting the Gringo Lotto.

greydread
10-05-2016, 12:42 AM
Reminds me of my early Santo domingo forays with prtyr2, good man, spent a lot of time showing me the ropes in santo domingo, he has retired from mongering now, has a beautiful and lovely wife, they seem very happy together, and travel the world together. He actually is an example of a monger/ ex-monger that gets it, knew all the spots in his day, had many lovely women along the way, then found the right one, they were friends first, then it blossomed into what it is now, I know this cause I was there when they first got together, and we talked about all kinds of things back then. Found a sweet and decent girl, not involved in the game at all, and they built a life together, simply excellent!

He is an example that it can be done!

Just don't know if I can do it, at least at this time in my life, but who knows:rolleyes:
Partyr2. Now there's a name we haven't heard in awhile.He was like the 3rd ISOCer I met in person. There's an example of a young(ish) guy with a great job in a great field working for a U.S. company overseas and finding his watermark. As he was settling into his relationship a bunch of guys who are long gone gave him the blues about it, electing him "Ho shop steward". All that shit about the kinder, gentler days of ISOC is a myth. When I 1st started reading this board it was like a frat hazing around here. I'm glad to hear that he's doing well and still happy with his decision.

yayow
10-05-2016, 05:44 AM
Partyr2. Now there's a name we haven't heard in awhile.He was like the 3rd ISOCer I met in person. There's an example of a young(ish) guy with a great job in a great field working for a U.S. company overseas and finding his watermark. As he was settling into his relationship a bunch of guys who are long gone gave him the blues about it, electing him "Ho shop steward". All that shit about the kinder, gentler days of ISOC is a myth. When I 1st started reading this board it was like a frat hazing around here. .....

Yeah it is a myth, ISOC was anything but kinder and gentler back in the day. There were a lot of different personalities that set each other off, at a moments notice. Those were the days, when the Michael Jackson gif, from thriller where he was eating his popcorn waiting for things to pop off, was a regular sight on the site. I actually was involved in a few of those:mrgreen:. There were more than one occasion, when I would read something and before I responded, I would go for a swim, then come back to respond, the problem with that was by the time I got back there was more shit written. Lot of flame throwing back in the day.... kept the mods busy, they must be bored now:rolleyes:

Plus back then when I made a post at 3 or 4 am, it was after a night of drinking, or after a combination of drinking and fucking, so I was in a rare mood. Hardly ever get in those moods anymore, or if I do tend to stay away from the computer.

Jimmydr
10-05-2016, 06:17 AM
Yeah it is a myth, ISOC was anything but kinder and gentler back in the day. There were a lot of different personalities that set each other off, at a moments notice. Those were the days, when the Michael Jackson gif, from thriller where he was eating his popcorn waiting for things to pop off, was a regular sight on the site. I actually was involved in a few of those:mrgreen:. There were more than one occasion, when I would read something and before I responded, I would go for a swim, then come back to respond, the problem with that was by the time I got back there was more shit written. Lot of flame throwing back in the day.... kept the mods busy, they must be bored now:rolleyes:

300 post days with one guy leaving the site, for a while.:mrgreen:, sometimes banned sometimes just angry.

Jimmydr
10-05-2016, 06:19 AM
Interesting and good point about the life line, and I understand it fully. I originally planned to have a life line, Indianapolis living not far from my aunt, half time there and half in the DR, kind of wading into the water up to my waist. But once I got there, realizing for me, my personality that wasn't for me, I had to dive in full bore, no other way for me to do it.

Lucky I guess so far it has worked for me, but understand the other way.

Indianapolis you say:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

yayow
10-05-2016, 07:08 AM
Indianapolis you say:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Long story... but no doubt Indianapolis would never had been for me.

Westy
10-05-2016, 10:50 AM
I think what makes you successful is when you can look in that mirror and have a smile on your face, having said that; are there more things I want to accomplish, more things I want to experience? Of course there are, after all I am not dead so there will always be other things, but for right now, I am cool:bigthumbup:. Not guaranteed to always be that way, but for now that is good!

I can go with that. The past is made up of memories, and maybe "stuff" you picked up along the way ... the future is uncertain, we really aren't guaranteed the next sunrise ... what we have is the here-and-now. And frankly, from what I hear from and observe in others -- and what I've experienced in my own past -- if you're living a life that brings a smile to your face, you're doing well, no questions asked.

Well -- the sun is bright and it's a bit breezy, but the Bay forecast looks good. Might be a good time for me to get offline, and out on the boat.

Jimmydr
10-05-2016, 07:45 PM
Long story... but no doubt Indianapolis would never had been for me.

Not for anyone:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Westy
10-08-2016, 09:50 AM

I think Questner might be on to something ... no, not up there, in his quote; down below, in his picture.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=136895&stc=1

Two signals of success here - (1) being comfortable where you are, and (2) that fat-cat style.

I'm only partly kidding.

First, if you're comfortable with yourself, where you are, as you are, that is worth more than riches or fame. No, I'm not dissing riches, or fame, or the ambition that drives people to strive for them. "Success" is a measure of achievement, yes ... but there are other measures of "success" than how much moolah you've got piled up in the bank, or how many people know your face, or whether the Joneses are struggling to keep up with you. Could you really say your life is "successful" if you're still driven by discontent?

My perspective may be different from yours, of course -- I'm retired, I've done my time on the silver treadmill. I have no debt, I've paid off my house, and I paid cash for my car and my boat. My pension covers the necessities as well as some modest luxuries, with enough more to pay for some occasional excitement (for example, my travels abroad). I am content with my life, and I count that as success.

Second - "that fat-cat style." To me, a big advantage to living the expat life -- especially in the destinations we visit, living the Monger Life -- is the fact that we can "live large" in the local economy, and we have the leisure to do it. This is REALLY nice if you're retired, and it's the biggest thing International Living is selling to its reader-base -- the gracious-living aspect of the expat lifestyle, such as renting a nice home in a gated community for about what you were spending on property taxes, utilities and condo-fees back in the States. As BlueDevil put it, the leverage you can get for your Yankee-Dollah (or Sterling, or Euro) pension is pretty remarkable in Medellin, or Sosua, or Negril, or Pattaya; and it is considerably cheaper to live the expat life, in these and other destinations, than it is to visit as a tourist. So you can be something of a "fat cat" -- in fact, as a gringo, you can scarcely avoid it!

greydread
10-08-2016, 03:50 PM
Second - "that fat-cat style." To me, a big advantage to living the expat life -- especially in the destinations we visit, living the Monger Life -- is the fact that we can "live large" in the local economy, and we have the leisure to do it. This is REALLY nice if you're retired, and it's the biggest thing International Living is selling to its reader-base -- the gracious-living aspect of the expat lifestyle, such as renting a nice home in a gated community for about what you were spending on property taxes, utilities and condo-fees back in the States. As BlueDevil put it, the leverage you can get for your Yankee-Dollah (or Sterling, or Euro) pension is pretty remarkable in Medellin, or Sosua, or Negril, or Pattaya; and it is considerably cheaper to live the expat life, in these and other destinations, than it is to visit as a tourist. So you can be something of a "fat cat" -- in fact, as a gringo, you can scarcely avoid it!
For now.

This window will not stay open forever as developing economies develop and developed economies recede we will find this opportunity shrinking. My Grandfather never experienced anything near the opportunities I've enjoyed and I doubt that my Grandchildren will either. We have lived in the best of times in the places that we're from. I don't think that we'll outlive this era by much.

yayow
10-08-2016, 05:36 PM
For now.

This window will not stay open forever as developing economies develop and developed economies recede we will find this opportunity shrinking. My Grandfather never experienced anything near the opportunities I've enjoyed and I doubt that my Grandchildren will either. We have lived in the best of times in the places that we're from. I don't think that we'll outlive this era by much.

Totally agree, I have observer ed the infrastructure of the DR, improve, with it more economic opportunity. That is great, and one reason, economically speaking, I don't consider the DR, what was known as a 3rd world economy any longer. Because with their economic development, not for everyone for sure, but housing costs, which in my mind was a great advantage of living abroad and in the DR in particular are disappearing, housing costs of new homes, condos are becoming more in line with first world countries. Cost more to get something decent, in a decent area. Still can get cheap in the undesirable areas.

So as Grey indicates, buy soon if you want to get good deals.

questner
10-08-2016, 11:31 PM
There is no need to be Dom Rep centred or Sos. centred as for the island. Many choose Thailand, Spain etc.

Most of the successful expats that I met were working, maintaining a steady relationship, steering away from obvious troubles, doing charitable work, enjoying other hobbies as well.

yayow
08-23-2018, 08:07 PM
So here we go again, want to put a quick story about something that just ocurred, but don't think it deserves it's own thread. So had to find an ex-pat thread, since it involves ex-pat life. Considered piggy backing a post in Camaro's thread as I have done previously, but don't think that is fair to his thread, and normally when I do that it is in response kind of to a previous post in his thread. This is out of the blue, so hope questner doesn't mind the piggy back, but this thread has been dead for awhile, so just reviving it a bit.

So last time was a serendipity moment and in my mind this kind of falls in that category as well. This like most tnings I share involes obviously something that happens out of the blue in an ex-pats life on this island. A little out of the norm, based on time that elapsed between contact but not totally unusual.

So will get to the nuts and bolts in the next post, as I am still processing it a bit myself.

yayow
08-23-2018, 08:40 PM
So the serendipity moment occurred in Bailar's thread regarding his time in Las Terrenas and Samana. He posted a picture of a chica he ran into in a club there that used to be somewhat popular on this site., I guess she was off the grid for awhile. A day after after seeing that post out of the blue her younger sister sends me a message basically saying when can we get together, and she had a friend she wanted to share with me. What was strange is this is not a chica I communicate with often, actually looking at our last whatsapp comunication it was in the first week of June, and now the last week of August she contacts me, weird coincidence because of the timing a day after Bailar's post regarding her sister. If she contacted me a week prior, it wouldn't have struck me in that manner, just would have been another normal day in the life of an ex-pat.

So now it happens again, but this time the amount of elapsed time was even greater.

So I get a greeting in messenger, basic hola and I respond in kind. I look at the name doesn't ring a bell. Review the previous conversation in messenger and I see the last time we communicated was in June of 2015, more than 3 years ago. Have a nice conversation how you been etc, etc. Looked at her fotos in facebook, don't recognize her at all, see she has had a baby, looking at the pictures would say the baby is about 6 months old, and although not a lot she has retained a bit of the baby weight. So I am intrigued ask her where she lives, she says Avenida Espaņa, not far from Andy's and Mixta discoteca. Anyway by this time besides checking out her fotos, I check her number and I see we haven't been together sexually, because I keep codes in my phone at a glance, I can tell if we had been together and we hadn't.

Next thing I know she says she wants to be with me and one of her girlfriends. I ask for a photo of her friend, the friend is a knockout, really beautiful and sexy. She tells me her girlfriend has her car snd they can be over within the hour. I tell her let's slow down a beat, I am busy but we can do something in the coming week. So I am excited, especially to get at the girlfriend. Before we conclude the conversation, she mentions, she has a lot of sexy girlfriends from her neighborhood, told her that would be good!

Ex-pat life is something else, so many oppurtunities, and most of them never seem to have a problem giving their friends to you as well. So my second serendipity moment in two days, love it, can't wait to see if I can go three for three!

Hunter
08-23-2018, 09:03 PM
Ex-pat life is something else, so many oppurtunities, and most of them never seem to have a problem giving their friends to you as well. So my second serendipity moment in two days, love it, can't wait to see if I can go three for three!

I would think endless opportunties...not that many mongers go to SDQ...And so many of the Sosua girls etc. go back to SDQ.....Seeking Arrangements gives you good idea of how many of the hot ones are in SDQ....

Now your only problem is lots of them hate going to Boca...But I am sure you have your way to overcome that :wink:

yayow
08-23-2018, 09:11 PM
I would think endless opportunties...not that many mongers go to SDQ...And so many of the Sosua girls etc. go back to SDQ.....Seeking Arrangements gives you good idea of how many of the hot ones are in SDQ....

Now your only problem is lots of them hate going to Boca...But I am sure you have your way to overcome that :wink:

Actually not as many as in years past mind coming to Boca, reputation has improved greatly. Supposedly big infrastructure improvements are set to begin in November, which will suck for bisinesses and during high season, but it needs to get done. Plus I tend to show the chicas my view, and if they have a doubt, often times that is good enough to change their mind. But I have no problem going to the capital and doing a cabana.

CentralNJDude
08-23-2018, 10:08 PM
Actually not as many as in years past mind coming to Boca, reputation has improved greatly. Supposedly big infrastructure improvements are set to begin in November, which will suck for bisinesses and during high season, but it needs to get done. Plus I tend to show the chicas my view, and if they have a doubt, often times that is good enough to change their mind. But I have no problem going to the capital and doing a cabana.

Its a tough life you lead brother. :lol: Hope to make a trip there sometime in December maybe the week before the invasion and the crazy winter break airfares.

greydread
08-23-2018, 10:21 PM
Its a tough life you lead brother. :lol: Hope to make a trip there sometime in December maybe the week before the invasion and the crazy winter break airfares.
Man, I'm looking at $1,000 airfares to SDQ over Winter Break. I could go to China for less. Spirit basic economy (no bags) is running $972 for my dates. I may have to fly to Miami and swim the rest of the way.

Mr. Smooth
08-24-2018, 06:02 AM
Man, I'm looking at $1,000 airfares to SDQ over Winter Break. I could go to China for less. Spirit basic economy (no bags) is running $972 for my dates. I may have to fly to Miami and swim the rest of the way.

The days of me ever flying to the DR again for under $600 are over. Now, with purchasing the econ plus seating, especially for the cross country legs, is pretty much over $1000.

Yeah, Africa would be cheaper except for December. I'll survive though.

MrHappy
08-24-2018, 04:13 PM
Pension
no pension
Pension
Pension

True that, but I've got bucks in the bank from a few real estate flips here, have a Dominican pension when I stop doing what I'm doing now, made a bunch of money on CD's back when they were worth having and have other sources of income. And my gig now is pretty much for as long as I want, plus what would I do sitting around the house all day?

So out and out pension - no. Money to live on - definitely.

I've always got 3-4 regulars whenever I want, plus the occasional one I run into here in town who can use a couple of pesos.

This is the latest. This spinner just turned 21 and had a baby a few months ago. Prime spinner material. I'll take girls like this any day of the week.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=152992&d=1535141161http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=152990&d=1535141142http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=152989&d=1535141132http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=152991&d=1535141152

Another low mile model, just the way I like them. A thousand pesos puts a smile on her face.

The other cutie I grabbed a couple of weeks ago also cleans the house for me.

And to be honest, I can't do much more than what I've got. My recovery from my cancer surgery hasn't gone well, so the little trooper is having a lot of problems. At this point I'm doubtful he's going to return to his former glorious self.

Time will tell.

whynotme
08-24-2018, 04:34 PM
My recovery from my cancer surgery hasn't gone well, so the little trooper is having a lot of problems. At this point I'm doubtful he's going to return to his former glorious self.

Time will tell.

its been 19 months since my surgery and I doubt mine will ever get back to normal but at least I am getting a chubby when I get up for my nightly piss(s) :lol:
so for now I am still on the one a day needle program but i am going to start back using kamagara again this fall and see if it has any effects now ( all ed drugs were useless the first year) but I have noticed they are working to a degree now

MrHappy
08-24-2018, 04:54 PM
its been 19 months since my surgery and I doubt mine will ever get back to normal but at least I am getting a chubby when I get up for my nightly piss(s) :lol:
so for now I am still on the one a day needle program but i am going to start back using kamagara again this fall and see if it has any effects now ( all ed drugs were useless the first year) but I have noticed they are working to a degree now

Pissing? I'm at a minimum 3 times a night.

My urologist won't go with the injectable stuff - says too many problems with Fibrosis, specially if you're a heavy user.

He wants to do a malleable prothesis implant that you bend up when you wanna fuck, and bend down when you finish. He's done thousands and insists I'll love it. Dunno about that....

The dry TriMix stuff was available for a while that you could flush into your urethra, but that seems to be available only from a few places (compound pharmacies) and expensive as shit.

I can get a boner pretty quick, but after two or three shoves it just dies, so they end up finishing me off with a bj and by hand. Orgasms suck too, compared to what they used to be.

But, better than nothing. I'm going to keep playing with the big three. Having these little spinners makes a nice difference too.. :surprised:

whynotme
08-24-2018, 05:41 PM
My urologist won't go with the injectable stuff - says too many problems with Fibrosis, specially if you're a heavy user.

He wants to do a malleable prothesis implant that you bend up when you wanna fuck, and bend down when you finish. He's done thousands and insists I'll love it. Dunno about that....

The dry TriMix stuff was available for a while that you could flush into your urethra, but that seems to be available only from a few places (compound pharmacies) and expensive as shit.

I can get a boner pretty quick, but after two or three shoves it just dies, so they end up finishing me off with a bj and by hand. Orgasms suck too, compared to what they used to be.

But, better than nothing. I'm going to keep playing with the big three. Having these little spinners makes a nice difference too.. :surprised:

I actually don't mind the injections as it gives me a 2 hour hard on which is to long at my age :eek:

but yes your limited to once a day without fear of getting fibrosis or bent dick and a permanent hardon

the injections work out to under $2usd each so pretty cost effective

I doubt I would ever get an implant unless it was a state of the art one that also gave me a 10 inch dick :rofl:

quietcorner911
08-24-2018, 11:24 PM
Pissing? I'm at a minimum 3 times a night.

I met a guy in Sosua that had the pump up prothesis,70+ years old banging chica after chica,three a day most days. He said it was the best decision of his life and Medicare covered the surgery 100%. And yes,he showed it to me hahahaha.

MrHappy
08-25-2018, 07:07 AM
I met a guy in Sosua that had the pump up prothesis,70+ years old banging chica after chica,three a day most days. He said it was the best decision of his life and Medicare covered the surgery 100%. And yes,he showed it to me hahahaha.

My urologist said it runs around 3K here, plus his fee for the surgery. It only takes about 20 minutes for the whole procedure.

I paid 11K out of pocket for the cancer surgery because insurance wouldn't cover it, and the prothesis isn't covered either.

I'm not sure my problems aren't related to my physical condition so I don't want to do any surgery I absolutely don't need until I get my weight down to where I want it.

I've been doing a lot of diet modifications, eating healthier, and eliminating sources of lectin proteins to eliminate inflammation. (Read "The Plant Paradox" by Dr. Steven Gundry) and you'll understand why you can't lose weight no matter what diet you've been following. His qualifications are impeccable.

If you didn't already know, every sickness in your body starts with inflammation, and his book does an excellent job of explaining how it's caused and effects.

Fascinating stuff.

psriches
08-29-2018, 08:56 PM
What's lacking in the chicas diets over there that causes them to always end up in the hospital with the saline bag, B12 shots, etc?? Is it a lack of Vitamins? I never really see any green vegetables either.

MrHappy
08-30-2018, 03:40 PM
What's lacking in the chicas diets over there that causes them to always end up in the hospital with the saline bag, B12 shots, etc?? Is it a lack of Vitamins? I never really see any green vegetables either.

First thing they do here is stick an IV in you when you go to the emergency room.

quietcorner911
08-30-2018, 09:39 PM
What's lacking in the chicas diets over there that causes them to always end up in the hospital with the saline bag, B12 shots, etc?? Is it a lack of Vitamins? I never really see any green vegetables either. A lot of times they are lying to you about being in the hospital. There is a chica in Puerto Plata that has a complete IV set up and rents it out to other chicas that use it to extract money from stupid gringos so if a chica sends you a photo and says her hijo is enfermo in the hospital and sends a pic of her kid with an IV supposedly in his arm make sure the photo shows him in a hospital bed or other surroundings to verify that she isn't full of mierda.

yayow
08-30-2018, 09:58 PM
A lot of times they are lying to you about being in the hospital. There is a chica in Puerto Plata that has a complete IV set up and rents it out to other chicas that use it to extract money from stupid gringos so if a chica sends you a photo and says her hijo is enfermo in the hospital and sends a pic of her kid with an IV supposedly in his arm make sure the photo shows him in a hospital bed or other surroundings to verify that she isn't full of mierda.

You know what even if it is in a legitimate hospital, it could have been shot months or even years prior. Some of those hospital fotos, have quite a shelf life.

Westy
08-30-2018, 11:15 PM
First thing they do here is stick an IV in you when you go to the emergency room.
Found that out first-hand a few years ago, at Centro Medico Cabarete ....