PDA

View Full Version : 02/2017 - Uber from Boca Chica to the airport

JoseTalapia
02-13-2017, 09:40 PM
I used Uber for the first time going from the Garant in Boca Chica to the airport. The fee was $369 pesos. (Just under $8) The driver had about a 7 year old Mitsubishi Montero but it was clean. The rate beats the shit out of the rate the Taxi mafia charges going to and from the airport and Boca. Would use the service again.

j_d66
02-14-2017, 12:17 AM
Interesting and a very good deal

I wonder if the taxi mafia will allow uber to take customers from the airport to their destination

That might be a little tougher to accomplish.

Hopefully they will be able to as the taxi mafia at the airport are a complete ripoff in Santo Domingo.

Same thing in Pop

Jimmydr
02-14-2017, 06:31 AM
I used Uber for the first time going from the Garant in Boca Chica to the airport. The fee was $369 pesos. (Just under $8) The driver had about a 7 year old Mitsubishi Montero but it was clean. The rate beats the shit out of the rate the Taxi mafia charges going to and from the airport and Boca. Would use the service again.

That is very cheap.

JoseTalapia
02-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Interesting and a very good deal

I wonder if the taxi mafia will allow uber to take customers from the airport to their destination

That might be a little tougher to accomplish.

Hopefully they will be able to as the taxi mafia at the airport are a complete ripoff in Santo Domingo.

Same thing in Pop

I have heard, but not confirmed, that they smashed the windows of some Uber drivers at the SDQ airport. It would not surprise me as if Uber makes inroads at the SDQ the drivers won't make shit. The drivers there are a friggin joke they start out at $30 but will go for $20 if you barter hard. I sort of like $8 as opposed to $20 or $25.

I would encourage anyone who is in the capitol or Boca , and is signed up for Uber, to use the service at least once and report back on this thread. We should be able to save each other some $$$.

greydread
02-14-2017, 10:22 AM
Uber TO the airport is a great idea but have any of our members tried Uber FROM Las Americas airport to their hotel? Is there a designated waiting area for Uber? The lack of precision directions could cause a problem in an area full of empty taxis and Uber drivers and customers stumbling around looking for one another.

Jimmydr
02-15-2017, 06:47 AM
Uber TO the airport is a great idea but have any of our members tried Uber FROM Las Americas airport to their hotel? Is there a designated waiting area for Uber? The lack of precision directions could cause a problem in an area full of empty taxis and Uber drivers and customers stumbling around looking for one another.

Signs with names on it? "GRINGO"

greydread
02-15-2017, 09:34 AM
Signs with names on it? "GRINGO"
That's a long ass line.

Mr. Smooth
02-15-2017, 02:42 PM
Whats amazing is that the last time I landed at Las Americas and took a taxi to my hotel (Calypso) in BC, it was $25 or $30 dollars and took all of about 12 minutes once outside the airport property.

Taking a very comfortable bus from south coast to north coast, or vice versa, a ride that takes 4 hours, cost me $9 usd!

Apples and oranges I realize, but the disparity of pricing is unbelievable! :icontd:

If it works where a couple guys are arriving at the same time or within an hour or so of each other, splitting that taxi fare can mean about 6 beers a piece that night! :corky:

I'm always looking ahead.

greydread
02-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Whats amazing is that the last time I landed at Las Americas and took a taxi to my hotel (Calypso) in BC, it was $25 or $30 dollars and took all of about 12 minutes once outside the airport property.

Taking a very comfortable bus from south coast to north coast, or vice versa, a ride that takes 4 hours, cost me $9 usd!

Apples and oranges I realize, but the disparity of pricing is unbelievable! :icontd:

If it works where a couple guys are arriving at the same time or within an hour or so of each other, splitting that taxi fare can mean about 6 beers a piece that night! :corky:

I'm always looking ahead.
It's okay to fleece a Gringo and most of the people getting off planes and into taxi's are Gringo's. Most Dominicans have family pick them up.

Fleecing Gringos is the main occupation of most of the people in and around airports and resorts all over the world. In Aruba and Sint Maarten a taxi ride from the airport to any hotel will be at least $35 but a rental car costs $150 a week with insurance.

Can you imagine the outrage if the Smithsonian museums and the N.Y. Museums of Natural History and Modern Art, the San Diego Zoo charged DOUBLE entry fee to non-U.S. citizens?

This is the price we pay for having access to the Big Tit that never runs dry. Uber is turning into the Great Equalizer or "Gringo's Revenge" all over the world.

Mr. Smooth
02-15-2017, 03:41 PM
Didn't the taxi "mafia" in NYC sue to block Uber from operating in NYC and a judge threw it out or rule in favor of Uber?

I know if I can't get picked up by a friend at the Amtrak station when returning from SFO on a trip to wherever, I will leave those $55 dollar taxi fares to my house from downtown and use Uber instead.

Probably save me at least $20 on the ride home. Maybe more.

CentralNJDude
02-15-2017, 11:21 PM
We have switched to Uber and Lyft for work trips and its 1/3 the price of the taxi's and the car service.. I love chatting up the drivers who are always from different countries, life experiences etc.. A lot more fun..

JoseTalapia
03-15-2017, 07:08 AM
I wanted to update this thread as I have used this service two more times since my original post. The results have been mixed several weeks ago I used the service and the first car that was sent to me declined the trip after about 5 minutes and a second car was sent and it took them about 10 more minutes to come. The fare was supposed to be about $8.50 but when I got home and checked the email receipt it was about $25.00 and listed it as a trip to the capital. I sent an email and they corrected it within a few hours.

This past Monday I attempted to use the service about 6:45 am. Two times they dispatched a driver and the driver declined the fare. They were unable to find a replacement driver so I had to use a cab.

I spent parts of 3 days in the capital and opened the Uber app just for the heck of it and priced trips to the airport and Boca Chica and they ran 900-1200 pesos. When you open the Uber app you can see the number of cars in your area. There were plenty in the capital and none while I was in Boca.

In terms of the service in Boca I would say it is hit or miss at this time. They need to sign up a few Boca drivers to improve their service.

Happyhorn
03-15-2017, 10:14 AM
Why all the declined fares?

BigLongBeach
03-15-2017, 07:23 PM
I used uber for everthing in sd. The decline sometimes they dont know the origin or destination. Some are just of traffic in sd. Once got infront of me and canceled hahaha

Sometimes i switch my profile pic of a landmark infront of origin or a new picture of myself