PDA

View Full Version : 09/2017 - Hurricane Irma

Irie
09-05-2017, 05:55 PM
Another beautiful day is winding down here on the north coast......although it was a bit humid today. That's about to change though. Strongest category 5 ever recorded in the Atlantic from what I just read.

In about 24 hours we are expected to see the first rains from Irma and by Thursday morning the brunt of whatever punch she has for the north coast should be upon us. The worry now is the northern shift still doesn't appear to be materializing. At this point it's going to hug the coast as she passes. Granted it doesn't appear we'll be in the northeast quadrant, but she is packing a big punch all the way around.

It's going to make for and interesting next few days.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145118&stc=1

j_d66
09-05-2017, 06:14 PM
Good Luck

Hopefully they are wrong about the track of this potentially very bad storm but I think your right in that even without a direct hit you might be in for a bad ride.

I hope the locals there take this storm seriously.

jacknback
09-05-2017, 06:17 PM
And then it comes after me!!!

Westy
09-05-2017, 06:41 PM
And then it comes after me!!!
What would you expect? It's a hurricane - by definition, an ill wind that blows no good.

(I just hope and pray it doesn't follow Harvey's path. The people of Houston and its surroundings have already lost too, TOO much.)

Irie
09-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Good Luck

Hopefully they are wrong about the track of this potentially very bad storm but I think your right in that even without a direct hit you might be in for a bad ride.

I hope the locals there take this storm seriously.

Its been surprisingly quiet. No lines no full shelves in Playero and Super Pola as of mid afternoon today.

Paid expect that to change tomorrow when they all make their mad dash. Fortunately, I'm done......well maybe another bottle of rum first. :biggrin:

Irie
09-05-2017, 07:00 PM
They did come through yesterday and again today removing signs on the strip.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145119&stc=1

Irie
09-05-2017, 07:01 PM
City government truck was at it today.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145120&stc=1

Hunter
09-05-2017, 07:12 PM
Decided not to be a hero and go to Punta Cana....Riding this one out in Boca with chica and beer :p

Tropical Storm warning just posted for south coast...

Irie
09-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Decided not to be a hero and go to Punta Cana....Riding this one out in Boca with chica and beer :p

smart move. Should be relatively quiet there. May have to come join you if this forecast keeps up. :wink:

j_d66
09-05-2017, 07:53 PM

Good decison

Hopefully your connection on Sunday is not in Miami cause that probably won't be happening.

ezsmile
09-05-2017, 08:02 PM
They did come through yesterday and again today removing signs on the strip.

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145119&stc=1)

Holy crap some forward thinking by the local government? What is going on?

Irie
09-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Holy crap some forward thinking by the local government? What is going on?

Cant have signs flying in to the ruins of Rumba and D'latins now, can we. :lol:

ezsmile
09-05-2017, 08:42 PM
8:30 at night and they are shovelling gravel for the bed of the sidewalk in front of bourbon street

Irie
09-05-2017, 09:00 PM
No doubt it'll be an interesting few days. I'll try to share the happenings here should/when the Internet is up.

Maybe be a few others living here can post their experience as well.

Keep the thoughts of locals, friends and families in mind. Looks like it's going to be a wild ride.

Tiger
09-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the updates.

Be safe and I will hope for the best for you and all of the north coast. I doubt they have fully recovered from all the rains when I was there in December.

questner
09-05-2017, 10:10 PM
http://www.windy.com/19.767/-70.513?19.179,-70.513,8,m:ed5aedD

JD426
09-05-2017, 10:25 PM
I wish Marco were still alive so we could rub this one in his face ....

" The north Coast has NEVER been directly hit with a Hurricane,, EVER, so you guys who dont know what the fuck you are talking about need shut the fuck up..."
:rofl::rofl:

or something like that .. not word for word..
but MAN he used to get pissed off, if anyone even dared challenge him ..

Irie
09-05-2017, 11:41 PM
The north coast most likely will never take a direct strike. Geography lowers the odds significantly.

This one.....maybe is doing it just right. We will see.

sopranostingray
09-06-2017, 04:57 AM
The north coast most likely will never take a direct strike. Geography lowers the odds significantly.

This one.....maybe is doing it just right. We will see.

Irma has shifted a little bit more north overnight, the eye of the storm being projected at 112 miles from the north coast as compared to 78 miles yesterday. Winds are to hit 25-30 mph which not even a gale storm. Again this is only the projected path. I'm getting the generator ready just in case.

XXX
09-06-2017, 05:59 AM
Irma has shifted a little bit more north overnight, the eye of the storm being projected at 112 miles from the north coast as compared to 78 miles yesterday. Winds are to hit 25-30 mph which not even a gale storm. Again this is only the projected path. I'm getting the generator ready just in case.

Thanks for the update man,,,,,

Good luck,, and keep us posted ,,,,,:iconTU:

gdogg
09-06-2017, 06:21 AM
Make sure you have enough food and water in your room...if you're staying on the north coast.

ezsmile
09-06-2017, 08:43 AM
My current trip is scheduled to end today, leaving from santiago but my airline said i could change my flight for free.....normally we would jump at that chance to extend, but I thing this time it would be smarter not to.
I know a few guys that have decided to spent a few days in santiago or somewhere else just in case

Irie
09-06-2017, 09:04 AM
My current trip is scheduled to end today, leaving from santiago but my airline said i could change my flight for free.....normally we would jump at that chance to extend, but I thing this time it would be smarter not to.
I know a few guys that have decided to spent a few days in santiago or somewhere else just in case

Maybe the smartest move. It's crossed my mind as well.

The current forecast is at least a little more favorable.

tarzan
09-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Good thing it's moving further to sea, those 2 bags of sand and a few ditches were not going to hold out the floods. :lol::lol:

el toro
09-06-2017, 05:34 PM
This is one of the few if not only advantages of living inland in Florida. Hoping for best or at least minimal destruction to those that were hit by Matthew last year. All the best wishes for those in PR, St. Maarten, DR and everywhere that's suffering the worst affects.

jacknback
09-06-2017, 06:14 PM
In the mean time, I'm down here in SFL and the channel 6 weather guy says he really has no idea what this storm is going to do!

He just said after the 5PM advisory that he doesn't even have a gut feeling for this storm. Says he (and everyone else) will have a better idea 72 hours out. Here that means probably the 11AM or 5PM advisories tomorrow. as they are forecasting 2PM Sunday as land fall time in SFL. Still waiting to see what the inevitable turn happens. They are still saying it could even go west but the majority say east of Florida or a direct hit on Miami.

Mother Fucka.....and me with a ticket to Manila the 18th. In Andrew and Wilma it took a long time to get back up and running here. I'm not talking airports or flights getting back on line. I'm talking just getting electric and water back! I couldn't leave here until everything was working again.

Oh well....just gotta hunker down and hope for the best, This ain't my first rodeo down here. Sad to say though, I'm to old to be bull riding.:(

Irie
09-06-2017, 06:23 PM
It was another nice day here, but humid. Rains expected to move in around midnight. The worst of the wind is forecast for midday/early afternoon tomorrow.

CentralNJDude
09-06-2017, 08:52 PM
It was another nice day here, but humid. Rains expected to move in around midnight. The worst of the wind is forecast for midday/early afternoon tomorrow.

Just get your surf gear out and show them how the big boys ride out the storm.:biggrin:

CentralNJDude
09-06-2017, 08:53 PM
Mother Fucka.....and me with a ticket to Manila the 18th. In Andrew and Wilma it took a long time to get back up and running here. I'm not talking airports or flights getting back on line. I'm talking just getting electric and water back! I couldn't leave here until everything was working again.

Oh well....just gotta hunker down and hope for the best, This ain't my first rodeo down here. Sad to say though, I'm to old to be bull riding.:(

As long as you can get on the flight, why worry about the electric and water?:confused:

Irie
09-07-2017, 03:40 AM
Just get your surf gear out and show them how the big boys ride out the storm.:biggrin:

Surf gear??? I was thinking more along the lines of pool noodle and cold beer in a koozie. :wink:

First rain bands passing through now. Breezy but still relatively calm.

Will keep updates going......depending on Internet.

MrHappy
09-07-2017, 06:56 AM
Here is SD it's basically going to be a non event I think.

We just got our first sprinkles about an hour ago.

My hurricane prep was limited to putting a clothes basket upside down over the rear patio drain with a planter on top.

greydread
09-07-2017, 08:01 AM
As funny as that may sound, a Dutch surfer tried to ride out one of Irma's humongous waves and it was the last thing he'll ever try.

I'm reading that 95% of the dwellings on St Martin (French side) have been obliterated and the whole of Barbuda was reduced to ruble. My Caribbean friends, please don't poo-poo Irma. She's an angry Bitch and strong enough that a slight variance from her predicted path could be the difference between business as usual and the whole f'ing country washed into the sea. Take all precautions and make yourselves as safe as possible. I hope to see y'all soon enough after things get back to normal.

Westy
09-07-2017, 08:45 AM
The latest forecast (as of 8 AM Thursday) ...

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145128&stc=1

MAYBE the North Coast of Hispaniola will be spared the worst of it. The Turks & Caicos, though, and the Bahamas, will bear the brunt.

And Florida ... Jack, I hope you and your neighbors are prepared to ride it out. The old cliché holds, "bread, milk and toilet paper."

LJDMV
09-07-2017, 09:35 AM
I just saw a video showing the POP airport is already flooded....

weyland
09-07-2017, 10:22 AM
I just saw a video showing the POP airport is already flooded....
I think that was nothing to do with the storm. There was negligible rain when that clip was released around 9pm last night. Maybe a burst water-main there, or it was a clip from some previous year.

The heavy rain does not start in this area until around 11am today. Not saying it will not get flooded then, though!

Irie
09-07-2017, 10:23 AM
So far, so good here. Rains and wind started well after midnight. Rainy and breezy now. The next few hours are supposed to be the worst of it. In the clear by the evening.

LJDMV
09-07-2017, 10:27 AM
This is was done this morning. Airport flooded this morning about 2 hours ago.

I think that was nothing to do with the storm. There was negligible rain when that clip was released around 9pm last night. Maybe a burst water-main there, or it was a clip from some previous year.

The heavy rain does not start in this area until around 11am today. Not saying it will not get flooded then, though!

Irie
09-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Guaranteed the video must be dated. As stated, basically no rain until the wee hours this morning. No flooding witnessed yet here. And believe me, I remember last November. Just need to look out my window for one of the biggest low spots in Sosua.

And I do! Lol. Dont want my vehicle under water again.

LJDMV
09-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Not sure where you are but maybe airport is different because they cancelled flights today.. airport area is bad.

Irie
09-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Not sure where you are but maybe airport is different because they cancelled flights today.. airport area is bad.

Planes were evacuating as late as 1am last night. Unless my eyes deceived me. :lol:

The airport is obviously closed now.

j_d66
09-07-2017, 12:11 PM
This is was done this morning. Airport flooded this morning about 2 hours ago.

Is this the video you are referring to?

https://www.facebook.com/viviendo.por.fe.12/videos/10213888492825531/

If it is that video is actually from last year

The Hurricane is just now making it's way through

Hunter
09-07-2017, 12:16 PM
just windy and no rain here in boca...think I
will go take a walk on the beach....

greydread
09-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Princess Juliana airport (SXM) in Sint Maarten and the entire Maho Bay is GONE. The Sunset Beach bar, one of my favorite places in the whole world...GONE. Irma leveled Barbuda but Antigua just 20 miles away was spared. The televangelists are blaming Harvey and Irma on homosexuality. What in the Fuck? This hurricane is being called the worst in recorded history and Jose and Katia are right behind her, promising a hurricane season for the record books.

Continued good fortune to all of you who are in harm's way.

Irie
09-07-2017, 12:40 PM
just windy and no rain here in boca...think I
will go take a walk on the beach....

The wind picked up tremendously in last 30 min or so

camaro1257
09-07-2017, 12:53 PM
The wind picked up tremendously in last 30 min or so

Last I checked 30mph in Puerto Plata. Hurricane wind speed is over 70mph.

MrHappy
09-07-2017, 12:56 PM

And here, looking out the window, I see virtually zero wind or rain. Almost spooky.

whynotme
09-07-2017, 01:01 PM
And here, looking out the window, I see virtually zero wind or rain. Almost spooky.

your inside the eye of the storm.................... send us your black book contact info:wink::rofl:

Irie
09-07-2017, 01:37 PM

As you know, hurricane force winds not expected. Some of these gusts the last hour plus are well over 30 though.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

yayow
09-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Good luck to everyone on the North coast, you guys will get the worse of it, and of course to those affected in the US. For us it looked bad for only about an hour here on the beach, high winds and rain, just passed think we are done, sun coming out, clouds passing, will probably be a nice night, hope it passes quickly up north as well.

I was scheduled to stay until today in Santiago, but decided to come home yesterday think it was a good choice didn't have to drive through the wind and rain, now should be able to relax

yayow
09-07-2017, 03:10 PM
Had a bad hour, but looks nice now, sea calm, dark clouds still over the capital looking west, friend just told me it is still coming down hard there, but here in Boca calm!

Hunter
09-07-2017, 05:06 PM
Had a bad hour, but looks nice now, sea calm, dark clouds still over the capital looking west, friend just told me it is still coming down hard there, but here in Boca calm!

not now :eek2: just had about 5 minutes of hurricane wind it seemed....once strong outer band I guess.....

questner
09-07-2017, 05:30 PM
As per data Sosua has experienced tropical storm winds of up to 29 knots with gusts up to 49 knots, and daily precipitation of around 110 mm of rain.

tarzan
09-07-2017, 06:10 PM
Everything fine here a few fallen trees around town but no serious damage. I just went for a stroll an hour ago. Everything is still closed tho. No floodings that i could see.

camaro1257
09-07-2017, 06:32 PM
Everything fine here a few fallen trees around town but no serious damage. I just went for a stroll an hour ago. Everything is still closed tho. No floodings that i could see.

Are the restaurants closed or just the clubs?

Irie
09-07-2017, 06:41 PM
Are the restaurants closed or just the clubs?

Looked like most everyone was closed. Even Baileys which is a typical last hold out.

Irie
09-07-2017, 06:42 PM
No more rain but still quite breezy. Looks like we were spared the worst. The wind gusts were pretty strong at some points though.

Irie
09-07-2017, 06:45 PM

Same here. Lots of limbs down and a few small signs. Some power/ cable lines as well. Almost ripped a low hanging one out with my jeep. Lol. Other than that, not bad.

Ocean was pretty cool to watch down at Playa Alicia. Looks like Irma may have reclaimed just a bit of it. Will try to load the video n

jacknback
09-07-2017, 06:59 PM
Not worried about electric and water. Well maybe water so the person next to me for whatever time on any of the flights doesn't have to smell my who knows how many days without a shower body!!
If that's all that happens I'll get to the plane some how. I'm concerned about damage. Old peoples home where I live is all concrete so no worry there but the windows are the same ones the building had when built!! I think 1966 or right around there. And no, we're not allowed to put up plywood or shutters!
I was told the archdiocese and HUD say no drilling on outside walls. Can't even have a satellite dish unless there is a free one already on the roof.

My fear is that the windows will blow out with hurricane or high tropical storm winds. If that happens ..............

sopranostingray
09-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Well that was uneventful. Even the power came back on early....7:15pm. A few upturned trees, broken branches and down power lines. Wind gusts hit no higher than 60 mph. I was so bored I went for a swim in my pool. Glad it turned out for the best however and seems tomorrow will be sunny and hot.

Irie
09-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Well that was uneventful. Even the power came back on early....7:15pm. A few upturned trees, broken branches and down power lines. Wind gusts hit no higher than 60 mph. I was so bored I went for a swim in my pool. Glad it turned out for the best however and seems tomorrow will be sunny and hot.

Good enough to break up the monotony a bit. :lol:

ezsmile
09-07-2017, 09:45 PM
Been seeing a few fotos on fb of the damage, mainly due to fallen trees.Looks like El Rey's Happy Birthday bar had a tree fall on the roof. Doesn't look like it damaged it too bad but I hope the inside didn't get too shaken up.

weyland
09-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Total non-event where I live in Puerto Plata.

j_d66
09-08-2017, 12:29 AM
Some of the damage at the beach

https://s26.postimg.org/h1eg91j21/09-08_3.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://s26.postimg.org/favf7k1ix/09-08_4.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Looks like they are lucky and could have been much worse

JD426
09-08-2017, 12:46 AM
Las Terrenas got hit pretty bad . There are some videos a guy took along the Punta Poppy beach Road .. Some Restaurants lost small buildings and roofs ,.. the road is a total mess.
From the map it looks like the eye of the storm was really close to the Samana Peninsula as it passed .
I'm sure my favorite spot in Las Galeras got hit hard .. as it sticks out like a Thumb with nothing at all protecting it . Although Fronton has Cliffs, but like Playita is completely open beach . Playa Rincon as well.. must be a total mess..
Have not seen any pictures yet , but I am guessing that Area was hit the WORST on the whole Island , it had to .. nothing was closer to the Eye.

j_d66
09-08-2017, 01:27 AM
A video of a little more of the beach

https://www.facebook.com/fabio.garcia.927758/videos/1456427977808591/

Some damage

Westy
09-08-2017, 08:05 AM
A video of a little more of the beach

https://www.facebook.com/fabio.garcia.927758/videos/1456427977808591/

Some damage
Ouch. Even more so, with the possibility that the Mayor may "use this crisis" to implement her plans for a new, sterile Playa Sosua.

MrHappy
09-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Well that was uneventful. Even the power came back on early....7:15pm. A few upturned trees, broken branches and down power lines. Wind gusts hit no higher than 60 mph. I was so bored I went for a swim in my pool. Glad it turned out for the best however and seems tomorrow will be sunny, humid, and hot.

Fixed that for ya, big guy.

Irie
09-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Beautiful sunny day. Power and internet back. A quick walk around town, and it's almost as if nothing happened. Most places back in business.

Good luck and be safe all in her sights next.

jacknback
09-08-2017, 06:38 PM
Fuck Me!!!! There is no way I'm not going to get hit with major, maybe even cat4 hurricane. it would have to keep moving to the west a lot to miss me.
It has been taking a slow westward turn but it's going to have to move that way a lot more between now and tomorrow morning.
If it moves a little more west it will hit some of Cuba and that will break the storm a bit but then it has 90 miles of very warm water to build again.

I've lived here 30 years and even Andrew and Wilma that went right by here didn't have me as worried as Irma does. Wilma had me without water for a week and electric for a little longer. Oh well.....supposed to start its landfall tomorrow at around 8AM. Right now there looking at it hitting the Keys right around the 7 mile bridge.
Now that's 160 miles or so from here but then they say it will turn north and maybe go up our west coast. The models right now are showing hurricane winds all of SFL and storm surge for most of the east coast. I'm not worried about that because apparently we are on one of the highest areas of Pompano Beach.

Wish me luck guys.

minkyboodle
09-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Stay safe wishing you the best man, when in doubt don't chance it!!

jacknback
09-09-2017, 06:40 PM
It"s just starting to try and make the right turn to head to SFL It's going to go right over the Keys. I'm grateful that it is as far west as it is but as of now we, according to National Hurricane Center, are still going to have really strong winds for at the least the next 24 hours.

Shit now their telling us that we are under a tornado warning here in Broward County! WTF Here we are getting what they call the "dirty side" of the storm.
I'm surprised that I still have electric but that can go anytime now. I just got out of the shower because I wanted at least 1 more hot one!

Again, as I think I mentioned before, my biggest worry is these lousy windows. I spent part of the morning with my 86 year old neighbor and she's less worried then I am!

You will know when the electric is gone here for me or if I have had any other problemif I don't post tomorrow evening like I usually do!

jacknback
09-09-2017, 06:45 PM
OMG they just said tornado has been sighted and is going to go right through Pompano. signing off because I have to at least try and watch to see where this fucking tornado is going!!! Tornado??? WTF...tornados happen in the midwest and central part of the USA.

Hope to update you tomorrow if I can.

yayow
09-09-2017, 07:27 PM
OMG they just said tornado has been sighted and is going to go right through Pompano. signing off because I have to at least try and watch to see where this fucking tornado is going!!! Tornado??? WTF...tornados happen in the midwest and central part of the USA.

Stay safe, mother nature can be a bitch!

Hunter
09-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Dem der Weed is in trouble....bullseye for ST. Pete...maybe we see weed on his roof in helicopter escape...I know him...he riding it out and aint in no shelter....

jacknback
09-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Well....Looks like I made it:mrgreen: Don"t remember ever having a hurricane or bad tropical storm with out losing electric. It flickered on and off all last night and today. Then the weather guy says we are out of the hurricane and will have tropical storm winds until sometime tomorrow and the fucking electric shut down!!! Only lasted about 90 seconds and I was taking a deep breath when it shut off again. WTF... I'm going to lose electric now after you say the worst is over? I just spent 24+ hours in the fucking hurricane with some gusts in Broward County up to 92 MPH and now no power?:mad: Then, bingo, it came back on!!!!:corky::mrgreen::biggrin:

I'm telling you, that was 2 scary days.

Angeles here I come. Out of here a week from tomorrow:rofl:

jacknback
09-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Marco Island and Naples over on the west coast is getting slammed!!!!

Westy
09-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Well....Looks like I made it:mrgreen: Don"t remember ever having a hurricane or bad tropical storm with out losing electric. It flickered on and off all last night and today. Then the weather guy says we are out of the hurricane and will have tropical storm winds until sometime tomorrow and the fucking electric shut down!!! Only lasted about 90 seconds and I was taking a deep breath when it shut off again. WTF... I'm going to lose electric now after you say the worst is over? I just spent 24+ hours in the fucking hurricane with some gusts in Broward County up to 92 MPH and now no power?:mad: Then, bingo, it came back on!!!!:corky::mrgreen::biggrin:

I'm telling you, that was 2 scary days.

Angeles here I come. Out of here a week from tomorrow:rofl:

Jack -- I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief at hearing that you got through it safely. And I'll bet I'm not the only one here.

Citynights
09-11-2017, 01:38 AM
Beautiful sunny day. Power and internet back. A quick walk around town, and it's almost as if nothing happened. Most places back in business.

Happy to hear that...👍😎😊

Hunter
09-11-2017, 08:16 AM
Those spagetti models are an embarrassment....lol....First they say it is going up the atantic ocean...then direct hit on miami...

then they say for certain it is going to stay off the west coast all the way to tampa....but it goes inshore to orlando...

they dont know...the national hurricane center joke....

ezsmile
09-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Those spagetti models are an embarrassment....lol....First they say it is going up the atantic ocean...then direct hit on miami...

then they say for certain it is going to stay off the west coast all the way to tampa....but it goes inshore to orlando...

I don't think the NOAA advisories were bad, however it is what you do with the information where things get misinterpreted

Westy
09-11-2017, 08:54 AM

They DON'T know ... they CAN'T know. They can only make an educated guess -- well, there's a high-pressure ridge over there, so it'll probably go away from it; a trough leading this way, it's likely to follow it -- wait, it went that-a-way ... It's chaos.

"Spaghetti model" is a good way to describe it, though. The forces that steer a hurricane first one way, then another, are about as random as the noodles in a boiling pot of spaghetti. And there are people who say, "The science is settled" ... seriously?

Westy
09-11-2017, 09:17 AM
On the positive side, I see an opportunity to pick up a new sailboat, cheap, in Saint Martin....

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145220&stc=1

JD426
09-11-2017, 11:10 AM
There is a guy on the other board who is missing, said he would ride in out in the Mangroves ?
wtf .... with his wife no less.... Hope the dude is ok, but not smart , imo.
St Thomas got hit HARD... Glad I got to see it just a little this Spring on a Cruise stop off. ..

Branson's Island got absolutely Demolished .. just total destruction from the looks of it .

Westy
09-11-2017, 01:11 PM
There is a guy on the other board who is missing, said he would ride in out in the Mangroves ?
wtf .... with his wife no less.... Hope the dude is ok, but not smart , imo.
St Thomas got hit HARD... Glad I got to see it just a little this Spring on a Cruise stop off. ..

Branson's Island got absolutely Demolished .. just total destruction from the looks of it .

And Richard Branson is calling for a "Marshall Plan" (https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-irma/hurricane-irma-aid-arrives-branson-calls-marshall-plan-n800216) to pay for rebuilding the islands.

Not sure what he means, but the original Marshall Plan involved a king-hell of a lot of U.S. Government funding.

You've got billions, Richard - why not put some of your own money into it?

Hunter
09-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Dem der Weed got lucky in st. pete...totally missed him...he still got his house :iconTU:

Cool seeing jacksonsville flood on tv...

j_d66
09-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Hunter did you make it out of the DR yet?

Hunter
09-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Hunter did you make it out of the DR yet?

Yes..no problem. Punta Cana zero damage....flew home yesterday....

j_d66
09-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Yes..no problem. Punta Cana zero damage....flew home yesterday....

Ok i didnt know if you were connecting in MIA which clearly you weren't

You still got through all of that pretty luckily

Hunter
09-11-2017, 04:30 PM
Ok i didnt know if you were connecting in MIA which clearly you weren't

You still got through all of that pretty luckily

Yeah I am a direct JFK to carribean all the time now....avoid miami like the plague...:p

SeaWeed
09-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Dem der Weed got lucky in st. pete...totally missed him...he still got his house :iconTU:

yeah mi was certainly lucky........ got hit hard from 3PM to 1AM in da morning....wind gusts up to 100mph......ugh
lost power at 3pm right at the start and still without....kmt....water was never a problem.......
heard ambulance sirens and howling winds all night......slept in mi bathroom....was afraid my big ass oak was gonna crush mi bedroom....
mi spent two days boarding up the house........and now mi will spend two days getting rid of all the yard debris.....
had couple small fallen trees and tons of branches..directly across the street two huge oaks came down.....ouch
and the whole neighborhood has fallen trees.....some directly in the roads.....what a friggin mess

Irma was a nasty bitch....never seen winds like that before....and mi have been thru 10+ hurricanes
one thing to have high winds for an hour or two...another thing to have it last for 10 hours......
it was really nerve-wracking to say the least.....boy mi glad it is over.....and that mi didn't loose everything like they said was gonna happen....kmt

now lets get back to our sexing exploits......lol

Hunter
09-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Yeah when I was watching Sunday at one point they were positive the eye was going to stay out to see and direct hit you there in st. pete....so yeah you lucky it went inland....tampa bay would be flood zone now and you in your hip waiters :p

SeaWeed
09-11-2017, 05:34 PM
Yeah when I was watching Sunday at one point they were positive the eye was going to stay out to see and direct hit you there in st. pete....so yeah you lucky it went inland....tampa bay would be flood zone now and you in your hip waiters :p

mi probably would have been dead with a lot of other people....mi 1925 bungalow wasn't built with hurricanes in mind...kmt

Don Tomas
09-11-2017, 05:43 PM

Glad you are okay Jack, but are you new to Florida?

One of the first things I learned when I moved to Florida was that there were more tornadoes in Florida than most US states, as they were "proud" to point out! Of course the Floridians usually fail to point out that almost all of them are of the weak ass F0 variety.

For the record, Florida is #1 in tornadoes based on area and 4th overall.

Westy
09-11-2017, 05:52 PM
mi probably would have been dead with a lot of other people....mi 1925 bungalow wasn't built with hurricanes in mind...kmt
1925? I'd say, likely it was​. (Stick-built? Or concrete block?)

I mean, it's not likely it would have survived otherwise.

jacknback
09-11-2017, 06:55 PM
DT, I've been here since 1977 and never heard what you're saying. Once in a fucking blue moon I've seen a tornado warning that lasts about 5 minutes.
They say, for me, for the first time hearing, that the tornadoes are of the small quick variety. Usually around 35 MPH. This was the first time I remember ever hearing that. Maybe I just didn't pay attention.
But like I said...never heard your info before.

Example...I think they said there were 14 overnight warnings from Saturday to Sunday. I sat through some that by the time they said the warnings were taken off they were admitting they were lasting maybe 5 to 10 minutes and they were 20 minutes late telling people.

Not that I want to see any tornadoes. Mostly down my area they show a water spout off shore once in awhile.

Irie
09-11-2017, 07:16 PM
If I recall correctly, it was Hurricane Andrew that first drew the attention to the presence of tornadoes in hurricanes ....especially in the eye wall area. Dr Fujita, originator of the 'f' scale given to tornadoes, did his first work with the presence of twisters examining the aftermath.

Hunter
09-11-2017, 07:26 PM

KMT

English Translation
Kiss my teeth

Definition
Acronym for the Jamaican slang expression "Kiss mi teeth", a mouth gesture used to show annoyance or strong dislike.

Hunter
09-11-2017, 07:38 PM
Good article on how Irma tracked on best case scenario for Florida...could of been so much worse....lucky...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/09/11/why-hurricane-irma-wasnt-far-worse-and-how-close-it-came-to-catastrophe/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_cwg-irma-241pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.2c1e01888d65

Westy
09-12-2017, 09:54 AM

You're going to love this link, Hunter. Schadenfreude all the way.

The Costs of Getting Hurricane Irma So Wrong -- Foundation for Economic Education (https://fee.org/articles/the-costs-of-getting-hurricane-irma-so-wrong/)

... Now, going back to Rush Limbaugh, he was also entirely truthful when he stated that many on the left use hurricanes — and any tragedy that might be associated with them — to hype and push their global warming and climate change narratives.

Like the mainstream media, the entertainment industry, and academia, discrimination against conservative or even pragmatic and honest thought is in full effect when it comes to hiring meteorologists. For the most part, if you don't worship at the altar of the "evil of man-made global warming" and political correctness, you can't get hired at The Weather Channel, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC or even most local television news stations.

Beyond that fact is the reality that the "forecasters" with their "European" and "American" models — as well as every other spaghetti noodle model they could slap on the screen — have been decidedly inaccurate when it came to Irma and Florida....

greydread
09-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Nothing compliments a natural disaster like a little politics and religion. Throw in a little for profit commentary from a crap spewing bigot and we have a storm not made by man but perfected by men.

Un-fucking believable....

jacknback
09-12-2017, 06:22 PM
On the positive side, I see an opportunity to pick up a new sailboat, cheap, in Saint Martin....

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145220&stc=1)

Plenty of them down here in the Keys and Miami/Dade. Also Broward County and up all along the eastern seaboard. Let's not forget on the southern end of western SFL
Cheaper airfare to get here:iconTU:

Westy
09-12-2017, 07:11 PM
Plenty of them down here in the Keys and Miami/Dade. Also Broward County and up all along the eastern seaboard. Let's not forget on the southern end of western SFL
Cheaper airfare to get here:iconTU:
Mea culpa - I was being "a bit of a shit" with that post. Just something of a grim joke.

One of my favorite sailing writers, Fatty Goodlander, lost his boat (which was also his home) in Hurricane Hugo, I believe in St. Thomas, and found a replacement in the aftermath - a 38-footer that had gone aground on a reef, and had a big hole bashed in its hull. He paid $3000 for "Wild Card," worked for months to repair it, and sailed it twice around the world afterwards. So I know it can be done ... and I also know I'm not going to buy and repair a hurricane victim, because I'm just too fuckin' lazy to go through with it.

On the other hand, there are people who will rebuild those grounded, broken boats, or at least some of them. Others are going to get stripped of anything usable, and the hulks will be cut up for the landfill - or maybe cleaned up inside and sunk offshore as "artificial reefs," to provide bottom-structure for the fish and corals, and neat diving for the divers.

JD426
09-13-2017, 05:43 PM
Las Terrenas got hit pretty bad . There are some videos a guy took along the Punta Poppy beach Road .. Some Restaurants lost small buildings and roofs ,.. the road is a total mess.
From the map it looks like the eye of the storm was really close to the Samana Peninsula as it passed .
I'm sure my favorite spot in Las Galeras got hit hard .. as it sticks out like a Thumb with nothing at all protecting it . Although Fronton has Cliffs, but like Playita is completely open beach . Playa Rincon as well.. must be a total mess..
Have not seen any pictures yet , but I am guessing that Area was hit the WORST on the whole Island , it had to .. nothing was closer to the Eye.

Just a Follow up..

Las Terrenas
Seems the Powers that be ( minister of Tourism, et al) are now seizing this opportunity (damage from Irma i guess) to tear down ALL the Beach Bars from Las Ballenas ,all the way to Punta Popy ? (
Holy Crap... this is Sad

:mad::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Maybe XXX and others can chime in with more specifics , as he knows people on the ground in that area..

Protests are of course breaking out ? or they are burning Tires ? , who knows ..but its not good .

This could have implications for Sosua Beach Bars, I fear ..

just .02

SeaWeed
09-13-2017, 06:46 PM
finally got power back here in St Petersburg, FL....hooray.....though many neighbors do not...ugh
the cleanup continues and wi have the sore backs now....ugh
mi ran out of bread and a few other things...but still had plenty of food and water etc....
mi was smart enuff not to have anything of substance in the freezer cause mi know it would have gone bad...
learned mi lessons in Jamaica from when the current would go out..and loose all mi ice cream...lol
tasted good tonight to have a cooked meal after 4 days of sandwiches...lol

mi head to Maine in two weeks to check on mi sister who has stage 4 lung cancer as some of you know...
and then back to St Pete and rest up for another tour in Negril this Winter....
if mi went back today....mi be in really good shape as mi have 6 or 7 girls that want to see mi....lol
now mi will loose half of the current 6 or 7 to disappearances, pregnancy, new bf's and heaven forbid a JOB...lol
so mi will continue to farm dem FB gurls...never ending if you want new punani....old punani not mi thing..ha ha

jacknback
09-14-2017, 06:59 PM
Went to the bank today to get a little more money and my bank is still closed! The fucking guy right next door is selling fucking hamburgers and the ATM is working but they aren't open:mad: I wanted to get to my safe deposit box.:mad:
Oh well, still got tomorrow and Saturday. Maybe them fucks at Chase will open.

I've got enough to get by in Angeles but I like to have a little more...just in case. I think I could pull another 25 or 30,000p out with the ATM card. I wanted at least 50,000p

SeaWeed
09-15-2017, 07:58 AM
went out for the first time yesterday PM and drove around....been almost a week since mi drove cause of Irma....
overall the city is getting back in shape....every single house has piles of debris and branches curb side...
Aldi had just opened up as they have been closed since last Saturday at 1pm....
they didn't have any refrigerated or frozen goods to sell....listening to the Aldi employees chatting was interesting...
they were saying corporate had decided that back up generators weren't needed for all their stores....
employees were saying they bet that changes after the huge loss they took on spoiled goods....ouch
went to Walmart and they had opened a day earlier and their refrigerated and frozen goods were about half of normal...
dunno if Walmart has generators or not.....mi guessing they do from what mi could see with dem having ice cream, milk, etc....
overall wi missed the bullet in St Pete....dayum close to loosing everything.....another 30 or 40mph of wind and it would have been curtains for us....

thinking about downsizing after all this...having a house and maintaining it and putting up with Hurricanes is something mi probably can do without at mi age.....
especially considering mi spend half my time these days foreign......probably a little condo in concrete building with no lawn to mow sounds good to this guy.....
still need a foot in Florida for medical and healthcare reasons.......dental is fine in Jamaica as are other things.....

Hunter
09-15-2017, 08:03 AM
Heard from the Grapevine Sage got entangled in flying back and him stuck :eek2: Sosua not bad place to be stuck...better than USA :wink:

MrHappy
09-15-2017, 08:20 AM
went out for the first time yesterday PM and drove around....been almost a week since mi drove cause of Irma....
overall the city is getting back in shape....every single house has piles of debris and branches curb side...
Aldi had just opened up as they have been closed since last Saturday at 1pm....
they didn't have any refrigerated or frozen goods to sell....listening to the Aldi employees chatting was interesting...
they were saying corporate had decided that back up generators weren't needed for all their stores....
employees were saying they bet that changes after the huge loss they took on spoiled goods....ouch
went to Walmart and they had opened a day earlier and their refrigerated and frozen goods were about half of normal...
dunno if Walmart has generators or not.....mi guessing they do from what mi could see with dem having ice cream, milk, etc....
overall wi missed the bullet in St Pete....dayum close to loosing everything.....another 30 or 40mph of wind and it would have been curtains for us....

thinking about downsizing after all this...having a house and maintaining it and putting up with Hurricanes is something mi probably can do without at mi age.....
especially considering mi spend half my time these days foreign......probably a little condo in concrete building with no lawn to mow sounds good to this guy.....
still need a foot in Florida for medical and healthcare reasons.......dental is fine in Jamaica as are other things.....

I was watching interviews of Key West residents last night who decided to stay and ride out the storm.

Most said they were scared out of their wits, and had absolutely no idea how strong a hurricane could be. I've rode through some pretty strong winds myself, and to say it's terrifying really doesn't do justice to how it feels. All of them said "never again."

You pretty much need a reinforced concrete box with no windows if you want to survive one.

Westy
09-15-2017, 09:03 AM
I was watching interviews of Key West residents last night who decided to stay and ride out the storm.

Most said they were scared out of their wits, and had absolutely no idea how strong a hurricane could be. I've rode through some pretty strong winds myself, and to say it's terrifying really doesn't do justice to how it feels. All of them said "never again."

You pretty much need a reinforced concrete box with no windows if you want to survive one.
Something I heard of from a fellow at the marina, a few days before Irma hit Florida ... "hurricane windows" made with impact-resistant glass. He said his mother had them installed on her house down there, and the contractor said, "Don't get locked out, because you won't be able to break these windows to get in!"

Still, the safest place to be in a hurricane is ELSEWHERE, at least a thousand miles away.

That can be expensive, though, especially if you're making a last-minute flight change from Manila to Bangkok. :rolleyes2:

MrHappy
09-15-2017, 09:23 AM
Something I heard of from a fellow at the marina, a few days before Irma hit Florida ... "hurricane windows" made with impact-resistant glass. He said his mother had them installed on her house down there, and the contractor said, "Don't get locked out, because you won't be able to break these windows to get in!"

Still, the safest place to be in a hurricane is ELSEWHERE, at least a thousand miles away.

That can be expensive, though, especially if you're making a last-minute flight change from Manila to Bangkok. :rolleyes2:

Lots of folks here have the electric roll down metal doors or corrugated panels that slide into a track.

With those hurricane windows, I'd be worried about them getting blown out of their mounting screws.

SeaWeed
09-15-2017, 09:37 AM

yeah mi was psych out from around 8pm to midnight.....every 30 to 60 seconds der be another huge wind gusts...
and you were praying that it wouldn't be any stronger than the last one....true
leading up to 8pm mi was thinking mi could survive this Irma no problem....At 8pm all bets were off.....
especially when some wind gusts made the whole house shake like an earthquake was happening...ugh

"never again" sounds good to mi......

MrHappy
09-15-2017, 09:46 AM
yeah mi was psych out from around 8pm to midnight.....every 30 to 60 seconds der be another huge wind gusts...
and you were praying that it wouldn't be any stronger than the last one....true
leading up to 8pm mi was thinking mi could survive this Irma no problem....At 8pm all bets were off.....
especially when some wind gusts made the whole house shake like an earthquake was happening...ugh

"never again" sounds good to mi......

Yep, kinda like a "screeching uncontrollable roar" that you can feel in your bones.

SeaWeed
09-15-2017, 09:50 AM
Heard from the Grapevine Sage got entangled in flying back and him stuck :eek2: Sosua not bad place to be stuck...better than USA :wink:

him probably stuck in bed with some hotties......lol

The Sage
09-15-2017, 11:34 AM
Yes, I'm stuck. Damn AA flight to Miami hasn't flown here since last Wednesday. Not a bad place to be stuck, but there's a limit to how much fun a fellow can have.

Westy
09-15-2017, 02:00 PM
Yes, I'm stuck. Damn AA flight to Miami hasn't flown here since last Wednesday. Not a bad place to be stuck, but there's a limit to how much fun a fellow can have.
Do you need us to send Western Union? :rolleyes2:

Westy
09-15-2017, 02:20 PM
Lots of folks here have the electric roll down metal doors or corrugated panels that slide into a track.

With those hurricane windows, I'd be worried about them getting blown out of their mounting screws.
Good point ... they might be stronger than the structure.

Here's an example from a manufacturer's website ... the outer pane of glass is laminated with an inner membrane of strong, clear plastic. They mounted it on a pressure-chamber, launched a 9-pound bar at it (simulating a wind-blown 2x4), and rattled it by pressurizing/depressurizing the chamber to simulate those pounding, howling wind-gusts ... the glass itself shattered, but the membrane held up.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=145251&stc=1

If I were planning to move to hurricane country, I'd be thinking in terms of something like this ... in a house built of concrete blocks.

Irma took some sheen off my old dreams of moving to some Caribbean paradise....

Jimmydr
09-15-2017, 03:15 PM

I could use $20.:corky:

whynotme
09-15-2017, 04:32 PM

I could use $20 but with a lot of zeroes added on:corky:

Westy
09-15-2017, 06:11 PM

So could we all.

jacknback
09-15-2017, 06:21 PM
I gotta tell you...it was a scary fucking 2 days!!! I would venture to say it was the scariest time I've ever experienced weather wise.

There were times the wind was blowing so hard that I was asking myself what I was going to do if the windows blew in.

When the gusts came the grass would literally lay over flat. I'm not talking tall grass here. I'm talking regular home lawn size grass.3 maybe 4 inches high and being laid flat to the ground. You could watch it go over and as the wind dispersed comeback up. It was something I had never seen before.

Like probably everyone here I've been through my share of storms. This was the scariest one ever for me,

Jimmydr
09-15-2017, 06:22 PM

You have more than you ever will need.

weyland
09-15-2017, 06:27 PM
Easy solution to that. Join me in Puerto Plata. We are hurricane-proof here.

whynotme
09-15-2017, 07:00 PM
You have more than you ever will need.

any one can coast thru life but there is never enough if you want to leave a legacy or to leave loved ones better off than you were or if you want to keep expanding and creating jobs in your community and doing a few other things before I get to the end of my bucket list

plus I just bought myself a new and improved coffin:corky:

http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2017/06/014-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-mopars.jpg

this is how it looked on the 2017 hot rod tour:corky:

http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2017/06/014-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-mopars.jpg (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi21oafpKjWAhWH8YMKHWVGCjUQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hotrod.com%2Farticles%2Fnothing-mopars-hot-rod-power-tour-2017%2F&psig=AFQjCNHOKlF5BzAYTpEjBxolNvJosJM8Pg&ust=1505602422557991)

and this is how I bought it last week
hemi 6.4 litre 6 speed stick scat pack edition that does zero to 60 in 4 seconds and under 13 seconds in the quarter mile straight out of the factory before mods and nitrous kit and air levelling this guy installed:corky:
https://ww2.impactauto.ca/pictures/1/0/5/9/4/9/10594930_01.JPGhttps://ww2.impactauto.ca/thumbs/1/0/5/9/4/9/10594930_04.JPGhttps://ww2.impactauto.ca/thumbs/1/0/5/9/4/9/10594930_10.JPGhttps://ww2.impactauto.ca/thumbs/1/0/5/9/4/9/10594930_03.JPG

The Sage
09-15-2017, 08:27 PM
No, I sent myself money using Xoom. Thanks for the offer.

yayow
09-15-2017, 09:20 PM
Good point ...

if every time a natural disaster occurred stopped you from going there you would never go anywhere. Every place has some thing, that would discourage you. I remember when I was thinking about going to college in Los Angeles my New York friends tried to discourage me because of earthquakes, now I guess you can add fires. When I moved to La capital friends on the north coast tried to discourage me due to hurricanes, been here 9 years and hasn't been a problem, actually the north coast has consistently gotten the worst of the weather.

Gee next you will be saying I can't cross the street a bus may hit me. Point being you take the proper precautions and live your life, it's the only one you got. Shit happens every where and with global warming it will only increase. The only other option as I see it is go the way of the ostrich and stick your head in the ground.

Westy
09-15-2017, 09:50 PM
I only 'offered' to tease. I'd have Xoom'ed the same ... and I'm kinda envious, as I imagine the post-hurricane jollies you might be enjoying.

Westy
09-15-2017, 10:01 PM
if every time a natural disaster occurred stopped you from going there you would never go anywhere. Every place has some thing, that would discourage you. I remember when I was thinking about going to college in Los Angeles my New York friends tried to discourage me because of earthquakes, now I guess you can add fires. When I moved to La capital friends on the north coast tried to discourage me due to hurricanes, been here 9 years and hasn't been a problem, actually the north coast has consistently gotten the worst of the weather.

Gee next you will be saying I can't cross the street a bus may hit me. Point being you take the proper precautions and live your life, it's the only one you got. Shit happens every where and with global warming it will only increase. The only other option as I see it is go the way of the ostrich and stick your head in the ground.
YARC YARC, Sir ... You're Absolutely Right, Comrade.

I would respectfully submit, there's a bit of difference between looking both ways before crossing the street ... and choosing the place where you'd like to live out the remaining years of your life. The first is NOW ... the second could be your 'forever.'

And at the same time ... I've spent years considering the notion of buying a sea-kindly sailboat, getting rid of everything I own that doesn't fit aboard, and 'Sailing Beyond The Sunset' ... starting with Caribbean waters. I've spent a lot of thought to exploring the notion ... and I haven't quite given up on it; and in all honesty, Boca Chica and ZarPar Marina could still be a prime possibility for a move like that. But I'm still riding the horns of the dilemma ...

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=132983&d=1465268263

CentralNJDude
09-15-2017, 10:15 PM
Went through two hurricanes in Jersey. I had a bad-ass 75 old tree that decided to fall across the street and not the house else I wouldnt be typing this up now. :biggrin:
Shit Happens like Yayow said; just work through it, cant change our ultimate destiny..

yayow
09-15-2017, 10:58 PM
YARC YARC, Sir ... You're Absolutely Right, Comrade.

I would respectfully submit, there's a bit of difference between looking both ways before crossing the street ... and choosing the place where you'd like to live out the remaining years of your life. The first is NOW ... the second could be your 'forever.'

And at the same time ... I've spent years considering the notion of buying a sea-kindly sailboat, getting rid of everything I own that doesn't fit aboard, and 'Sailing Beyond The Sunset' ... starting with Caribbean waters. I've spent a lot of thought to exploring the notion ... and I haven't quite given up on it; and in all honesty, Boca Chica and ZarPar Marina could still be a prime possibility for a move like that. But I'm still riding the horns of the dilemma ...

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=132983&d=1465268263)

Not a bad option, would love to do it myself, but not being the greatest swimmer, it gets to me. Spoke to a buddy the other day getting ready to come back down here for a bit, he's up in Boston, bought a boat down here, just spent $80, 000 sprucing it up. Says he is tired of the D.R., now that the boat is ready says he is going to take it to Colombia, told him I will visit. Something to be said about that type of lifestyle, literally being able to take all your stuff on a whim and locate somewhere else. Must be nice.

Oh by the way the bus reference was sarcasm, was going to say, can't go there may stub my toe. Thought that might be cruel so I changed it.:rofl::rofl:

Westy
09-16-2017, 09:20 AM
Not a bad option, would love to do it myself, but not being the greatest swimmer, it gets to me. Spoke to a buddy the other day getting ready to come back down here for a bit, he's up in Boston, bought a boat down here, just spent $80, 000 sprucing it up. Says he is tired of the D.R., now that the boat is ready says he is going to take it to Colombia, told him I will visit. Something to be said about that type of lifestyle, literally being able to take all your stuff on a whim and locate somewhere else. Must be nice.

Oh by the way the bus reference was sarcasm, was going to say, can't go there may stub my toe. Thought that might be cruel so I changed it.:rofl::rofl:
As far as the yachting life goes, I'm still exploring the notion, but climbing up from the deck of the sinking Palenque into a rubber life-raft at oh-dark-thirty in the middle of the Caribbean ... well, that kinda softened my hard-on for world cruising. But I still enjoy sailing the Chesapeake Bay.

Hunter
09-16-2017, 09:31 AM

Have you looked for seats out of STI and SDQ? I think the problem is there are NO seats...too many people clamoring for the few open seats available. As you do not take priority over someone who already has a reservation. I tried to change my flight out of punta cana to santo domingo during hurricane and that was impossible...

The Sage
09-16-2017, 10:55 AM
There were no seats out of STI until today. Tried other airlines. The earliest was Friday on Air Canada at $1,000 oneway. Decided to bet on AA for Sunday. My take is that the few seats they had on non AA flights were bought up by folks trying to get back. Got my fingers crossed for tomorrow. The fight is coming here today for the first time in 10 days.

Have you looked for seats out of STI and SDQ? I think the problem is there are NO seats...too many people clamoring for the few open seats available. As you do not take priority over someone who already has a reservation. I tried to change my flight out of punta cana to santo domingo during hurricane and that was impossible...

Hunter
09-16-2017, 12:42 PM
There were no seats out of STI until today. Tried other airlines. The earliest was Friday on Air Canada at $1,000 oneway. Decided to bet on AA for Sunday. My take is that the few seats they had on non AA flights were bought up by folks trying to get back. Got my fingers crossed for tomorrow. The fight is coming here today for the first time in 10 days.

Are you rebooked and confirmed on AA from your original departure flight that go cancelled for this Sunday?

Jimmydr
09-16-2017, 12:55 PM

Another 90 day trip for you:corky:

Hunter
09-16-2017, 05:20 PM
Maria on the way right to DR and Florida....round 2 ....cool :wink:

yayow
09-16-2017, 05:45 PM

Are you coming for this one too?:rolleyes:

The Sage
09-16-2017, 09:06 PM
Confirmed for tomorrow and packed. Breathing in Pedro for the last night. New girls in town, but I'm fucked out. Going to buy me a bottle of Hennessy and just chill.

Are you rebooked and confirmed on AA from your original departure flight that go cancelled for this Sunday?

j_d66
09-16-2017, 10:45 PM

And Tropical storm Lee is also forming right behind Maria.

Could be a rough season.

yayow
09-17-2017, 07:38 AM

And Tropical storm Lee is also forming right behind Maria.

Could be a rough season.

I have always gotten a kick how Dominicans react to news of a storm, no matter where it looks like it is going. When I lived in the capital I was always amazed at the panic, the closing of all businesses, banks, government offices etc., over the slightest mention of a storm. 95% of the time nothing more than rain and a little wind. Then it would be clear and beautiful once again.

So when I looked at the projections for Irma, I wasn't worried in the least, you could see the north coast could have potential issues but us on the south coast, nothing more than a rain and a little wind event. However must admit, not liking the early projections for Maria, could be a problem for sure. 9 years on the south coast with nothing bad at all as far as storms are concerned, last 4 or so right on the sea, beach front. But this one worries me a bit, at least at this stage.

BronxMoney
09-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Glad you are OK, Irie. Now I see Hurricane Maria is headed your way again! You guys cannot get a break! Be careful, stay well!

SeaWeed
09-18-2017, 11:41 AM
things starting to get back to normal in the Tampa Bay area but wi have a long way to go....
plenty of people still without power.....curbs are filled with branches and down trees still which are brown now and not green......

the stores are still out of meat and produce....and a lot of popular canned foods like tunafish
especially Aldi and Save A Lot who had nothing in the refrigerated or frozen food sections this weekend....
Publix and Walmart are doing a much better job than the aforementioned of getting their shelves restocked...

listening to everyone bitching about all the refrigerated and frozen food they lost is getting real old fast....
don't know what people were thinking of when they stocked up and had the refrigerators full when Irma hit....
mi kept telling people don't be surprised if wi without power for a week or two....they all laughed at mi....guess mi got the last laugh
with my experiences on the J island mi know not to have much in the freezer compartment at any given time with der power outages all da time...
5 days out from Irma mi started eating everything in the freezer compartment which wasn't full to begin with...mi only been back 2 weeks
so mi virtually didn't loose anything......unlike mi neighbors who have been filling up der garbage cans with spoiled food

the weather has been very hot and humid since last Wednesday so mi feel for the people here without power or were without power...ugh
an electric company from Texas has been working three days on replacing the lines from the two big ass oaks that came down across the street...
they put up two new telephone poles and everything....huge job...they worked till 10pm every night too....they finally left yesterday

schools started up again today and as did the government facilities....last week it was like a ghost town in St Pete....never seen anything like it...

for those that have never been thru a Cateogroy 2+ Hurricane or tornado.....you are one lucky son of a gun...count your blessings

Hunter
09-18-2017, 11:44 AM
Looks like you out of the woods with Maria Weed. Latest track has it spinning north towards NC.....

Puerto Rico looks like dead hit then goes just off Punta Cana and up north.....

yayow
09-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Yeah DR for the most part looks like it escapes a direct hit again, we have been very fortunate thus far this year. Feel real bad for Puerto Rico and the Virgen Islands, they look to be hit again.

j_d66
09-18-2017, 12:36 PM
Looks like you out of the woods with Maria Weed. Latest track has it spinning north towards NC.....

Puerto Rico looks like dead hit then goes just off Punta Cana and up north.....

Yep right now with the current projected track it looks like things are not going to be good for PR.

Still early to tell for sure even for the north coast of the DR

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/maria-e1505610972168.png?w=763

Looking ok for Florida as of now

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/floridaspaghetti.png?w=706&h=531

j_d66
09-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Looks like it's starting to turn north now so the DR and Florida look like they might be spared

I hope so as one hurricane a year is to many for anyone to endure

https://www.sebastiandaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/latest-hurricane-maria-speghetti-models.jpg

Puerto Rico however looks like they are going to get a direct hit

SeaWeed
09-19-2017, 01:49 PM
I hope so as one hurricane a year is to many for anyone to endure

mi can't imagine what it would be like to get hit again so soon....ugh
mi think most people here are hoping they never seen another Irma type hurricane ever again....wishful thinking
mi think downsizing to something smaller at mi age is a good idea....
having a house with a huge lawn with trees is probably gonna have to change
mi much would have preferred to have been in a concrete shelter or concrete condo like building than a house
having a house and listening to howling winds in a storm is a killer...
actually one of mi neighbors that a likkle older than mi had a stroke a couple days after Irma and in da hospital....
when you go thru a storm like dat it is a lot to handle....it really sucks to get old

Hunter
09-19-2017, 04:16 PM
mi can't imagine what it would be like to get hit again so soon....ugh
mi think most people here are hoping they never seen another Irma type hurricane ever again....wishful thinking
mi think downsizing to something smaller at mi age is a good idea....
having a house with a huge lawn with trees is probably gonna have to change
mi much would have preferred to have been in a concrete shelter or concrete condo like building than a house
having a house and listening to howling winds in a storm is a killer...
actually one of mi neighbors that a likkle older than mi had a stroke a couple days after Irma and in da hospital....
when you go thru a storm like dat it is a lot to handle....it really sucks to get old

You candy ass Weed...you didnt even get hit by the eye and it was down to cat 1 or 2 when it got to u.....

Go through a cat 4 or 5 then we can talk :p

Easy for me to say going through a simple trop storm in Boca :lol:

Jimbo44
09-19-2017, 06:37 PM
I'm now hanging out in Myrtle Beach SC. and was here last week when we got 60 mph winds and high surf. I'm 200 yds off atlantic, and moved my car up to the Walmart shopping center just in case. All was good but I did watch the ocean and the winds all night long. Myrtle Beach is the bomb tho,. 5 miles of The Grand Strand!!!

j_d66
09-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Looks like the North Coast is in the middle of it right now.

With luck the path has taken a more northern path sparing them much of the same destruction that hit Puerto Rico but they are still getting it none the less

Fabio Garcia a local reporter there has been reporting live on his facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/fabio.garcia.927758?hc_ref=ART077KOsj1Eq4pFMA88R7z7-RmuH4667CLK2wpmRrg6StFaS8HfgUPQT9HfCjJecl4

He has some pretty good videos of what is currently happening there.

I for one appreciate the man and his efforts in accurately reporting what is going on there

He might get a Presidente on me sometime if I ever run into him as I am assuming he is local there