PDA

View Full Version : 02/2018 - Fares too high?

Atlantic City Jimmy
02-07-2018, 09:27 AM
I'm still in, rally caps gentlemen

also,

Click to see pic (http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=149072&d=1517967489)

:)

I looked up fares, and they are too high for me.

greydread
02-07-2018, 09:58 AM

Air Fare

WAS - MBJ = $505 (3.5 hours direct/ 6+ one-stop)

WAS - NBO = $707 (no direct/ 17-20 hours one-stop)

Lodging (comparable)

Negril = $55/ night

Mtwapa = $35/ night

Dinner

Negril = $10

Mtwapa = $6

Beer (bar price)

Negril = $3.00

Mtwapa = $1.40 - $1.75

Pum-Pum (comparable Ho's)

Negril = $35 Up

Mtwapa = $15 Up

Airport transfer

MBJ to Negril = $25 Up (1.5 hr trip)

MBA - Mtwapa = $12 Uber, 20 - $25 taxi (30 minute trip)

Ho's

Negril = Entitled, most won't even consider oral, quick to ask for unreasonable amounts ($200)

Mtwapa = Grateful, will do anything to make you want to come back....anything with a smile....happy with what you can give them

My personal experience places the difference between a mongering trip to Negril as opposed to Mtwapa on the same level as the difference between a mongering trip to Miami as opposed to Santo Domingo.

Atlantic City Jimmy
02-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Air Fare

Lodging (comparable)

Negril = $55/ night

Mtwapa = $35/ night

Dinner

Negril = $10

Mtwapa = $6

Beer (bar price)

Negril = $3.00

Mtwapa = $1.40 - $1.75

Negril = $35 Up

Mtwapa = $15 Up

Airport transfer

Ho's

Negril = Entitled, most won't even consider oral, quick to ask for unreasonable amounts ($200)

Mtwapa = Grateful, will do anything to make you want to come back....anything with a smile....happy with what you can give them

My personal experience places the difference between a mongering trip to Negril as opposed to Mtwapa on the same level as the difference between a mongering trip to Miami as opposed to Santo Domingo.

Negril is looking good for July

whynotme
02-07-2018, 11:05 AM
that's why I love thailand:corky:
leaving sunday for a long 9 night stay ( 2 in bkk and 7 in pattaya) and it only cost me $656 cnd about $525 usd return and I get domestic upgrades for free :biggrin:

Atlantic City Jimmy
02-07-2018, 12:11 PM
that's why I love thailand:corky:
leaving sunday for a long 9 night stay ( 2 in bkk and 7 in pattaya) and it only cost me $656 cnd about $525 usd return and I get domestic upgrades for free :biggrin:

I am going sleeper class "Free"

Westy
02-07-2018, 05:22 PM
I am going sleeper class "Free"
I'm going Premium Economy again, this coming Sunday. Not free, but worth it to me.

whynotme
02-07-2018, 05:35 PM
I'm going Premium Economy again, this coming Sunday. Not free, but worth it to me.

even though I get premium economy free the sleeper class is a once a year perk for me:lol:

I am flying thru narita from Chicago this sunday so your flights are close I will see you in the united or ana lounge.............

first thru last round on me..............

or actually on them :rofl:

Westy
02-07-2018, 07:33 PM
I'll reach ORD at 12:19 PM, and my flight out is at 2:05 PM.

Your club or mine? (It looks like I can bring you in as a guest on my Platinum card.)

Won't see you in NRT because I'm going to HKG.

whynotme
02-07-2018, 07:37 PM
I'll reach ORD at 12:19 PM, and my flight out is at 2:05 PM. Your club or mine?

unfortunatly neither as I arrive at 4;40pm :eek:

but since your on the competitions airline:wink: I cant get you into the star alliance net works lounge and I don't think you would have been able to get me into your admirals clubs

maybe next trip:iconTU:

Westy
02-07-2018, 07:47 PM

but since your on the competitions airline:wink: I cant get you into the star alliance net works lounge and I don't think you would have been able to get me into your admirals clubs

I'll raise an extra glass of Bollinger Brut Special Cuvée in your honor. :mrgreen:

whynotme
02-07-2018, 08:06 PM
I'll raise an extra glass of Bollinger Brut Special Cuvée in your honor. :mrgreen:

ok and I will have a few triple whiskys in yours :iconTU:

CentralNJDude
02-07-2018, 10:06 PM
All this talk of raising glasses is making me thirsty.:lol:

j_d66
02-07-2018, 11:37 PM

As a 1k can't you bring a guest with you into your lounge?

One trip my friend who is a 1k was able to get me into the United lounge in both Houston as well as Narita with no problem and I think it was all complimentary.

The only thing was I was flying United that trip but didn't have a single credited mile to my name at that point.

Westy
02-07-2018, 11:53 PM

One trip my friend who is a 1k was able to get me into the United lounge in both Houston as well as Narita with no problem and I think it was all complimentary.

The only thing was I was flying United that trip but didn't have a single credited mile to my name at that point.
Whynotme will get in to ORD more than two hours later than I will depart from ORD.

From what I could see, as a Platinum dude on a qualifying international flight, I can not only use the Admirals Club, I can bring a guest. And no-doubt whynotme has equivalent, or even better, privileges as a 1K member on United ... but you'd have to be there to bring in a guest flying on a different alliance.

We might meet up, some day, at the same destination ... but it won't happen on THIS trip! :rolleyes:

Kevy
02-08-2018, 03:58 AM
Westy would have to be on a star alliance flight to get go with wnm.

whynotme
02-08-2018, 07:00 AM

yes I can get 1 guest in at no cost no matter what if any status he has,
BUT,
he also has to be on a star alliance flight and not a one world carrier or a discount carrier.

also he doesn't even have to be leaving on the same flight as me or on the same carrier as long as its a star alliance partner flight:iconTU:

also the odd time I get put on a code share flight booked thru united or another star alliance partner if it includes a leg on...... say cathay pacific or American I cant get into the lounge because I am departing on the competitions carrier:eek:

j_d66
02-08-2018, 06:47 PM
I'll reach ORD at 12:19 PM, and my flight out is at 2:05 PM.

Your club or mine? (It looks like I can bring you in as a guest on my Platinum card.)

Won't see you in NRT because I'm going to HKG.

You hope at least

Did you hear there is a massive snow storm blowing through Chicago starting tonight

Talking about anywhere from 8-20 inches before it's done

Hopefully things will be back to normal at ORD by the time you guys come through on Sunday

Westy
02-08-2018, 07:15 PM
You hope at least

Did you hear there is a massive snow storm blowing through Chicago starting tonight

Talking about anywhere from 8-20 inches before it's done

Hopefully things will be back to normal at ORD by the time you guys com
e through on Sunday

Aw, hell, not that again!!

Hunter
02-08-2018, 07:29 PM
Aw, hell, not that again!!

The Westy snow jinx :p:p

whynotme
02-08-2018, 07:36 PM
The Westy snow jinx :p:p

DAMN YOU WESTY:(:rofl:
UNITED IS OFFERING FREE rebookings thru feb 13th but I am going to wait it out as the plane is almost empty now:rofl: and my hotels are non refundable:eek:

CentralNJDude
02-08-2018, 08:40 PM
UNITED IS OFFERING FREE rebookings thru feb 13th but I am going to wait it out as the plane is almost empty now:rofl: and my hotels are non refundable:eek:

The damn storm will now meander over to the East Coast. hope it clears up by the 14th.

jacknback
02-08-2018, 09:22 PM
I'm going to try to never fly within a week of westy!!!

Westy
02-08-2018, 09:50 PM
I'm sure everything will go swimmingly ... just like in 2016 ...

Westy on way to airport on Monday :rofl:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=127042&d=1453509497

Actually, the trouble is all tonight and tomorrow ... the Sunday forecast is encouraging:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=149105&stc=1

Westy
02-08-2018, 10:05 PM
Just one thing I want to say to the National Weather Service about this ...

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=149106&stc=1

Mr. Smooth
02-09-2018, 05:01 AM
Was an absolutely gorgeous 73 degree day here in Sacramento. And all flights were departing and arriving on time.

Ah......California!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

whynotme
02-09-2018, 07:13 AM
Was an absolutely gorgeous 73 degree day here in Sacramento. And all flights were departing and arriving on time.

Ah......California!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

snow or earthquakes

ah I will take the snow :rofl:

the earthquake's epicenter was located about six miles south-southwest of Napa and 51 miles west-southwest of Sacramento. ABC News station KGO in San Francisco reported several fires and damaged buildings in Napa. More than 15,000 customers were without power, according to Pacific Gas and Electric Company.

https://s.abcnews.com/images/US/AP_napa_earthquake_market_cleanup_jt_140824_12x5_992.jpg

https://twitter.com/Lyalldavenport/status/503505029538807808/photo/1

SeaWeed
02-10-2018, 07:01 AM
Air Fare

Lodging (comparable)

Negril = $55/ night

Mtwapa = $35/ night

Dinner

Negril = $10

Mtwapa = $6

Beer (bar price)

Negril = $3.00

Mtwapa = $1.40 - $1.75

Negril = $35 Up

Mtwapa = $15 Up

Airport transfer

Ho's

like usual Greydread is right on da money.....
thankfully mi have Southwest with it's two flights a day to Montego Bay Jamaica and airfare one way via TPA is $136 going down...
and around $176 coming back to Tampa Florida....dem really kicking Spirit and American asses right now....yah mon
the kicker is the free carryon and two checked bags.......wow

vast majority of mi machine gurls come off of FB these days.....sometimes a friend of a friend refers mi to a girl....
weed da machine gurls out after some chatting and get rid of the big money gurls.....
mi don't talk money with the gurls.......and if money comes up mi usually getting the wrong kind of gurl....
or if mi get let's meet for dinner and drinks those are also the wrong gurls for this guy too.......
mi not going thru as many gurls as the past....first because mi GFE Petersfield is around a lot....and second is that mi getting older

greydread
02-10-2018, 06:19 PM
like usual Greydread is right on da money.....
thankfully mi have Southwest with it's two flights a day to Montego Bay Jamaica and airfare one way via TPA is $136 going down...
and around $176 coming back to Tampa Florida....dem really kicking Spirit and American asses right now....yah mon
the kicker is the free carryon and two checked bags.......wow

That is the beauty of being able to make your own travel schedule as opposed to ducking out between project goals the way I have been doing for the past few years. I have to stick to exact dates when traveling and if my travel includes a holiday weekend then there's a premium to be paid for that. If I don't have time for an overnight layover there's a price for that, too.

Too many times, I don't get to complete my travel arrangements until within 6 weeks of a trip in order to avoid rescheduling fees from the airlines and I have taken to using Booking.com almost exclusively for lodging. They're not the cheapest, nor do they have the greatest selection but the fact that I can change my booking almost up to the day before the trip keeps them close to my heart. I have spent a shit load of money on 1st nights of cancelled trips over the years and that money is much better directed to my "fun-money" entertainment budget.

Speaking of travel budgets, I've seen opinions in some of these threads that setting budgets for travel is somehow limiting the fun one can expect when exactly the opposite is true. A budget isn't some kind of "limitation". A budget is a plan and any Man venturing out of his corner of the world who doesn't have a plan is about to learn a lesson and the farther from home, the harder the lesson. I pretty much live the same type of life when abroad that I live when not traveling (with the exception of getting up and going to work, of course). I like home cooking at home and I like home cooking on vacation so I probably eat out no more on vacation than I do at home when I can get a place with a full kitchen. In the past 40 years I have traded speed, endurance and flexibility for strength, smarts and money and that shit didn't happen by accident. I am not on any regular medication at 63 because I crush my own garlic, slice my own ginger, tomatoes and onions and include these ingredients in most of the meals I prepare. Turmeric, lemongrass, basil, radish, endives, chives, cilantro, basil and about a thousand other inexpensive and readily available dietary additions all serve to enhance the meal and add to the nourishment provided, therein. The average mothafucka would be astonished at how much of the conversations with the Women I meet around the world include cooking and nourishment and naturepathic methodology. I have a shelf full of books on the subject that I've collected over the generations and I can credit the knowledge gleaned from them for personally overcoming ulcers, colitis and a bunch of other maladies which I encountered in my younger days when I didn't give a shit what was on the menu as long as it filled the hole and tasted good. But I digress...

I think that the JDR goal of eventually moving to FL to have access to a lower cost of living, elimination of state income tax and increased access to the Caribbean, Central and South America is solid. Add to that plan the fact that he will be in a position to plan his travel to afford the best breaks the airline industry has to give (Tues-Thurs with overnight Sat) on direct flights and I think that like Seaweed, he will eventually find his sweet spot (probably already decided) and stick to it with an occasional side trip to wherever. Proof that Punani is like chicken. Nobody doesn't like chicken but we all like different cuts and preparation methods. Dark meat. white meat, breast, thigh, baked, fried, broiled, roasted or in a stew. Just like Punani. We just have to figure out how to get there in the most efficient way possible.

Hunter
02-10-2018, 08:18 PM
Speaking of fares too high....Asia is amazing how low it is to fly there this spring...

looking at end of april may....660 round trip jfk mnl on cathay.....damn...it is not worth using miles for that......

j_d66
02-10-2018, 08:29 PM
Speaking of fares too high....Asia is amazing how low it is to fly there this spring...

looking at end of april may....660 round trip jfk mnl on cathay.....damn...it is not worth using miles for that......

Those fares are amazing, United is about the same price.

The fares on American have been creeping up but can still be had for 850-1,000.

I have a $200 voucher on United to use up so something around 450-500 is a no brainer after the voucher just allows more trips there this year as time allows

Hard to justify a trip to the DR when it is so cheap to go to Asia.

Atlantic City Jimmy
02-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Those fares are amazing, United is about the same price.

The fares on American have been creeping up but can still be had for 850-1,000.

I have a $200 voucher on United to use up so something around 450-500 is a no brainer after the voucher just allows more trips there this year as time allows

Hard to justify a trip to the DR when it is so cheap to go to Asia.

You need to go.

j_d66
02-12-2018, 12:22 AM
You need to go.

I probably will but not until end of April or first of May I don't have the time before that

Last year I went the first part of July and enjoyed it than to

Hell the has never been I time of year that I haven't enjoyed Thailand but I do try to stay away during the peak of rainy season