PDA

View Full Version : 10/2018 - Negatives of Retiring Early

Hunter
10-02-2018, 09:02 AM
Saw this article on Marketwatch....Thought is was good food for thought. Sage and Grey just mentioned a lot of these points on the retiring threads.

Think a lot of it has to do with what kind of job you have. If its a job you hate vs love makes a big difference in retiring....

For all the glamour of living an early retirement lifestyle, there are plenty of negatives I’ve come to discover since I permanently left my job in 2012.

I know why we revert to our baseline state of happiness, no matter how much freedom and money you have.

Let’s go through some of the negatives of retiring early now that I’m a grizzled veteran.

See Also
The Race to Replace Your Keyboard

The downside of retiring early
1) You will suffer an identity crisis for an unknown period. When you’ve spent at least a decade working in a profession, you’ll find it incredibly jolting to no longer be identified as the person who is a marketing expert, an investment professional, or the management consultant who can figure out how to optimize a business. It’s only after you leave your job do you truly realize how wound up you were in your profession.

Your identity crisis may last as short as three months or it might last for years. It all depends on how wrapped up you were in your job, how long you spent getting educated after high school, and whether you have a clear plan postretirement. Doctors are some of the people who suffer the most after leaving their occupations. Conversely, high school graduates who somehow struck it rich with a product or an invention seem to adjust much easier in postretirement life.

Job titles can be incredibly addictive. Why else do people get so depressed when passed over for promotion? Why else do people try so hard to get promoted sooner and faster than everybody else? Do not underestimate the importance of being a manager, director, vice president, or even a C-level executive.

After all, the most common question people ask when they first meet each other is: What do you do for a living? And if you tell them you don’t do anything for a living, well then, you might just feel like a sheepish loser. You’ll want to try to explain yourself, but by then, your three-second first impression will no longer hold the other person’s attention.

What happened to me: After working in the Asian equities business for 13 years, it felt hollow to no longer have my Executive Director title or be identified with my investment firm. I felt sad that I could no longer go to Asia for conferences or with clients. For so long, taking a business-class trip to Hong Kong, India, China or Taiwan was part of my quarterly routine. Shallow as it may sound, it felt special to have priority boarding. I felt important when clients would entrust me to show them around in a foreign land.

For the first year after leaving my job, I wondered how the business was doing without me. Could they really survive without my expertise? After all, I was there for 11 years. Surely, they needed my relationships. But after months went by with no email or phone call from my old firm saying they wanted me back, I had to come to terms that I was no longer important to them.

I wanted to believe that my position meant something to the firm and to the people that I serviced. But at the end of the day, the person I trained to replace me as part of my severance agreement, was good enough. And because he was good enough, I concluded that I was no longer any good.

This ego hit took me a full year to get over.

Read: Why early retirement is all it’s cracked up to be

2) You will be stuck in your head. When you suddenly have an extra 10 to 14 hours a day of free time, it’s very difficult to optimize your time wisely.

Your productivity will suffer in retirement. You will no longer feel motivated to achieve great wins. As a result, you may slowly start to get depressed. Only after some really deep soul-searching and some, “what am I doing with my life?” questioning will you begin to organize your time better and become more productive.

Your mind can be very dangerous because it can always second-guess your actions. Did I retire too soon? What if I run out of money? What if people think I’m a loser? What if I can’t ever get back into the workforce if things go wrong? When you have a lot of time to think, your doubts go on and on.

Perhaps one analogy is to compare being stuck in your head with Locked-in syndrome. LIS is a condition in which a patient is aware but cannot move or communicate verbally due to complete paralysis of nearly all voluntary muscles in the body except for vertical eye movements and blinking. This could be one of my worst nightmares. Retiring early may render you inoperable for a while.

What happened to me: Because I left work at age 34, I was worried for about the first two years whether or not I had made the right choice. No rational person leaves a well-paying job to be unemployed in their mid-30s. Your late-30s is when you start to finally make good money. And by the time you reach your 40s, you should be at your maximum earnings power.

During my first year of early retirement, to the outside world I proudly proclaimed I was retired from a career in finance. But on the inside, I was second-guessing my decision to leave. Because of my uncertainty, I decided to do some part-time consulting with a financial technology startup for about 20 hours a week. It was a great way to distract my mind from all my fears, earn some side income, and replug myself into society. I also kept in touch with multiple banks until my Series 7 and 63 licenses expired.

Finally, I dived deep into my writing on Financial Samurai. Writing has always been my most cathartic way to deal with any uncertainty or problems I might have. For example, now that I have a son, I’ve been worried about whether our roughly $200,000 a year in passive income is enough to support a family of three if he doesn’t win the San Francisco public school lottery system. It’s taken almost 20 years for me to generate this passive income level, and it still doesn’t seem like enough.

Given this worry, I did a deep dive budget analysis for a family earning $300,000 a year, and it sure seems like we need to earn $100,000 more to maintain our quality of life in San Francisco. Alternatively, we can always move to a lower cost area of the country or world.

Read: People may be missing the point of early retirement

3) People will treat you like a weird misfit. Whether it’s because retiring early is unconventional or because people are secretly jealous you aren’t grinding away at a day job, people won’t give you the same amount of respect as working-class citizens. After all, if they can’t describe what you do for a living, then they can’t pigeonhole you into an archetype that is comfortable for them.

Having a job means you are a productive member of society. If you retire at a young age, people will assume you are simply slacking off and not paying any taxes. They’ll sometimes look at you as a leech they want to flick off.

Further, if you are an outcast, then you won’t be invited to parties or events that other working people always get to attend. You’re simply not top of mind to them. If you are an extrovert, early retirement will be much more difficult than if you are an introvert.

What happened to me: After the first year of early retirement, I no longer told anybody I retired early. Instead, I told anybody who asked that I was a writer, a tennis teacher, a fintech consultant, or simply in between jobs. Before that, I think a lot of people just assumed I was a trust fund baby who did not have to work. And the last thing this middle-class guy who went to public school wants to be known as is a trust fund baby.

My favorite time of the year was during the winter holidays. I loved going to all the holiday parties and getting tipsy with fellow revelers. Now, I get invited to zero holiday parties because I don’t work for anyone. Nor do I get invited to client holiday parties either, even though I have several partners who are based in the San Francisco Bay Area. It may sound silly, but having a drink with good people with shared interests really means a lot to me.

It takes a lot of effort to build new social networks if you aren’t part of a larger organization. There is no weekend cookout a colleague is hosting on Labor Day Weekend to attend. I’ve had to participate in various meetup events to find new people to hang out with. So far, my social network only revolves around tennis and softball. But even then, it’s not like I’ve found buddies who will come over and just chill in the hot tub over a beer or anything.

4) You’ll be disappointed that you aren’t much happier. So many people think that once they achieve financial freedom or leave a job they dislike, they’ll suddenly be permanently happier. The truth of the matter is, your elevated happiness will only last at most three to six months. Eventually, you’ll revert to your natural state of being.

Think back to your high school or college days when you didn’t have any money compared with now. I’d venture to guess you were just as happy, if not happier when you were a broke college student.

Having the freedom to do what you want is priceless. But you will eventually take your freedom for granted like the air you breathe. On the days you feel angry or sad, you will start questioning what the hell is wrong with you since you’ve got more than the average person. You’ll feel stupid for feeling unhappy when there are literally hundreds of millions of people in the world wondering whether they’ll have enough to eat the next day.

You think, if I can’t be happy when I’m financially independent, surely there must be something seriously wrong with me. And you could be right! Can you imagine being unhappy as a Norwegian? Norway is perpetually ranked as one of the top five happiest countries in the world.

What’s going on with me: I thought I’d be much happier not having to report to a micromanager boss I did not respect. But my increased happiness was fleeting and only lasted for about a week before I was back to my regular self. Instead, my happiness was weighed down by months of uncertainty on whether I had made the right move to leave my job. It was only after about two years did my doubt finally start to dissipate.

Although corporate politics no longer upset me, other things end up filling the void. For example, drivers who decide to double park on a busy street in rush hour traffic really bother me now. So do dog owners who let their dogs poop in front of my house and don’t pick up after them. In the past, I could only allocate a small amount of annoyance to such incidences.

Instead of being permanently at a happier level, I’m simply no longer as annoyed or as angry at things as frequently. Further, the volatility around my steady state of happiness is lower. In other words, I’ve mellowed out. That said, don’t offend me because I still enjoy a really good fight.

5) You constantly wonder whether this is all there is to life. Retiring early is like finishing up your favorite longstanding TV show. You’re glad there’s a conclusion, but you’re also sad that it’s over. You hope to find a show that’s as good or better, but there are no guarantees.

Most of us spend 13 years going to grade school so we can spend four years in college to get a decent job. Then we spend decades trying to earn and save money to provide for our family and then one day retire by 65. With good luck, we’ll live for another 20 years to enjoy all the fruits of our labor.

When you retire at a much earlier age, you are constantly left wondering what’s next. You are mentally twiddling your thumbs waiting for the next big thing while your close friends are all at work. Early retirement can get extremely mundane and boring because you have nobody to spend time with.

As a result, you’re repeatedly forced to will yourself into action. This constant self-starting attitude can become extremely trying to the point where you long to rejoin the workforce and be told what to do.

What’s going on with me: I probably drove my wife nuts during the first two years of early retirement because I constantly told her I was bored. Only boring people get bored right? Wrong. Everybody gets bored at some point. When you’re working, you don’t have time to get bored because you’re working. There’s only so much tennis, golf, and softball I can play before my knees break apart. There are only so many churches to visit in Europe before they all start looking the same.

She used to have vacations from me because I would be away traveling for work every month. Now she was seeing my cherubic face every single day. It’s a good thing we had three bedrooms at the time. Otherwise, I’m pretty sure we’d both have gone crazy from seeing each other so often.

It was only after our son was born in early 2017 that I felt a renewed sense of purpose. Before my boy, I felt my purpose was to help educate as many readers as possible about personal finance to one day be free. After my boy was born, my purpose has expanded to keeping Financial Samurai running long enough to teach him about operating an online business out of fear he may have a tough time getting ahead. In addition, I now need to live long enough until he finds someone who loves him as much as I love my wife.

I don’t think I’d be able to die in peace if there’s nobody to replace his mom or me. As a result, I’m exercising more, eating healthier, and meditating longer.

Early retirement is great, but it doesn’t solve everything
It might sound like I’m depressed. But I’m not. I’m simply highlighting some of the negatives you will probably go through if you decide to leave the workforce early. The more extroverted you are and the higher your position, the more you will have difficulties making the early retirement adjustment.

Having the freedom to do what you want cannot be overstated. However, your mind will play games with your spirit during the first few years after leaving work. Some people won’t be able to handle early retirement life and will go back to work.

Just know that with enough conditioning, you will eventually embrace your freedom. Nobody I know who retired from corporate life early stayed retired. You will find your purpose. Once you do, you will take steps, such as building passive incomeZE], to ensure you remain free forever.

weyland
10-02-2018, 09:30 AM
The writer has spent a really fucked-up life.

"... it felt hollow to no longer have my Executive Director title." Really?

"... it felt special to have priority boarding." Really?

"... I’ve been worried about whether our roughly $200,000 a year in passive income is enough to support a family of three." Really?

If he retired (though it sounds like he was sacked) at 34, he retired before he had matured as a person and found out what life is all about.

quietcorner911
10-02-2018, 10:13 AM
18 years ago I unexpectedly went from working 70 hours a week to zero and retired at 43 yrs. old. Never got bored or had any of these problems,I am enjoying every minute of my retirement.

Hunter
10-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Well there a few of us struggling with what to do in retirement:

Mr. Happy - tried sitting on beach for a few weeks and wents nuts. He went back to work.

WNM - He is like me and ready to get out of dodge after a 12 days on monger trips. And back to work slinging cars...

Grey - Wants to start a business in retirement because he cant sit on beach only...

We are all so different so there really is no one answer...

Kevy
10-02-2018, 10:45 AM
Well there a few of us struggling with what to do in retirement:

Mr. Happy - tried sitting on beach for a few weeks and wents nuts. He went back to work.

WNM - He is like me and ready to get out of dodge after a 12 days on monger trips. And back to work slinging cars...

Grey - Wants to start a business in retirement because he cant sit on beach only...

We are all so different so there really is no one answer...

For me it is watching guys at work who talked big about retiring early then died on the job without ever collecting a dime in pension. Seen a few in the last few years. ANd what about the guys who retire too late, dead in 2 years, very sad.

Most of my collegues who I haved talked to after retirement all say they wish they left sooner. Could be the type of work too.

Hunter
10-02-2018, 10:57 AM
For me it is watching guys at work who talked big about retiring early then died on the job without ever collecting a dime in pension. Seen a few in the last few years. ANd what about the guys who retire too late, dead in 2 years, very sad.

Most of my collegues who I haved talked to after retirement all say they wish they left sooner. Could be the type of work too.

Your situation makes a ton of sense to retire early....Now find that ballar apartment in PAttaya :smile:

j_d66
10-02-2018, 12:07 PM
Retirement at X age is far from a one size fits all.

In the past it was often you worked until 62 or 65 and retired but that is not the case anymore.

Each persons circumstances are different from how old your children are to if you are married or single.

How much you have put away for retirement, if your home is paid off etc and so forth.

You don't have to totally walk away from work you can just go do something a little less intense.

I went from a partner in an accounting practice working 80-100 hour weeks most of the year and miserable to going out on my own and working less but also having the flexibility to do as I like.

I love my new situation as I can still work but also enjoy life on my terms. I will be able to control how much I work for as long as I want.

I have no problem just hanging out and doing little to nothing and never really get bored as there is so much to see and do in this big world.

The most important thing is to get out an enjoy life while your health still allows you to do so.

whynotme
10-02-2018, 12:15 PM
I love my semi retirement 6 to 14 days away every month and then back to work for a rest :rofl:

not sure I will like being off 21 days a month starting this dec but I am going to give it a try for 6 months and see if I survive but I doubt very much if I will ever go full time...……. but that's just me and my situation and every one else has different requirements and commitments and levels of income to take into consideration as well

if any one can do it then more power to them...……. but I would be dead in a year or in AA:eek::rofl:

Hunter
10-02-2018, 12:55 PM
Retirement at X age is far from a one size fits all.

In the past it was often you worked until 62 or 65 and retired but that is not the case anymore.

Each persons circumstances are different from how old your children are to if you are married or single.

How much you have put away for retirement, if your home is paid off etc and so forth.

You don't have to totally walk away from work you can just go do something a little less intense.

I went from a partner in an accounting practice working 80-100 hour weeks most of the year and miserable to going out on my own and working less but also having the flexibility to do as I like.

I love my new situation as I can still work but also enjoy life on my terms. I will be able to control how much I work for as long as I want.

I have no problem just hanging out and doing little to nothing and never really get bored as there is so much to see and do in this big world.

The most important thing is to get out an enjoy life while your health still allows you to do so.

Same here....I down scaled my business and keeps me busy while in the states...

I need a business to keep busy. I just cant golf all day. And I have to be here in states because of parents....

JD and I are kinda on same schedule. I think he might have me beat on trip weeks...but close....

WNM is king of this going away every month....

I did 4 weeks Thailand this year....1 week boca...1 week jamaica...1 week las terrenas.....

I might slow down now till December ......

j_d66
10-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Same here....I down scaled my business and keeps me busy while in the states...

I need a business to keep busy. I just cant golf all day. And I have to be here in states because of parents....

JD and I are kinda on same schedule. I think he might have me beat on trip weeks...but close....

WNM is king of this going away every month....

I did 4 weeks Thailand this year....1 week boca...1 week jamaica...1 week las terrenas.....

I might slow down now till December ......

Looks like I am going to be about 70 nights over 7 trips this year. Funny it feels like I traveled less this year but actually last year I was 63 nights over 7 trips.
I keep a spread sheet on all of my trips since 2012. Probably kinda an anal thing to do but it's useful information to me.

At some point I will probably do longer trips at one time but right now i need to be around home a few days each month for work commitments.

For me doing multiple shorter trips keeps me from becoming bored and I am always looking forward to that next trip.

Also a big reason why I do trip reports as I periodically go back through old trip reports.

ezsmile
10-02-2018, 06:46 PM
The writer has spent a really fucked-up life.

"... it felt hollow to no longer have my Executive Director title." Really?

"... it felt special to have priority boarding." Really?

"... I’ve been worried about whether our roughly $200,000 a year in passive income is enough to support a family of three." Really?

If he retired (though it sounds like he was sacked) at 34, he retired before he had matured as a person and found out what life is all about.

I couldn't bear reading all that drivel ( not yours Weyland, your drivel is always interesting). Whoever that person is, I would definitely go out of my way not to know them.

Hunter
10-02-2018, 07:05 PM
I couldn't bear reading all that drivel ( not yours Weyland, your drivel is always interesting). Whoever that person is, I would definitely go out of my way not to know them.

He was a hot shot San Fran finance guy that retired young 30s...So not really on same wavelenght as us old guys in 50s and 60s. But thought a couple good points in it.

Don Tomas
10-02-2018, 07:18 PM
I talk with guys all the time at work about early retirement. Even just this morning.
It scares them:confused: (medical, college kids, living expenses, etc.)
Then in the next sentence, like the guy this morning, they mention their father who got SIX PAYCHECKS after retirement!!! And then he died.
That's fucked up, that scares me way more than retiring early and running out of money.

I hope to be out at 55 and people I say that to think I'm crazy.
Too many people live to work, they don't work to live.

It always reminds me of Con Air.
"What if I told you insane was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?"

Jimmydr
10-02-2018, 07:21 PM
I talk with guys all the time at work about early retirement. Even just this morning.
Then in the next sentence, like the guy this morning, they mention their father who got SIX PAYCHECKS after retirement!!! And then he died.
That's fucked up, that scares me way more than retiring early and running out of money.

"What if I told you insane was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?"

If they only knew how we spend our time

j_d66
10-02-2018, 07:35 PM

My father was diagnosed with Parkinsons about the same time he retired. He had a few decent years before that damn disease robbed him of any real quality of life.
It was hard to see him suffer

I vowed that I would live life and travel while I still have my health and the ability to do so.

I don't ever see myself rotting in a old age home.

Jimmydr
10-02-2018, 07:38 PM
My father was diagnosed with Parkinsons about the same time he retired. He had a few decent years before that damn disease robbed him of any real quality of life.
It was hard to see him suffer

I vowed that I would live life and travel while I still have my health and the ability to do so.

I don't ever see myself rotting in a old age home.

Hunter ranks on me for working full time, but every month, I jump in the car, hit AC and any girl available that I want.

j_d66
10-02-2018, 07:44 PM
Hunter ranks on me for working full time, but every month, I jump in the car, hit AC and any girl available that I want.

But your still enjoying life. Nothing wrong with working when you can still get away and have some fun

Jimmydr
10-02-2018, 07:49 PM
But your still enjoying life. Nothing wrong with working when you can still get away and have some fun

Its nice when some girl throws a price at you and you think to yourself, I can pay for 1,000 sessions if I want to:corky:

Jimmydr
10-02-2018, 08:06 PM

And they can't believe it when I tell them I am going away with 5 or more buddies. They have no idea what life outside the job is

ezsmile
10-02-2018, 08:26 PM
He was a hot shot San Fran finance guy that retired young 30s...So not really on same wavelenght as us old guys in 50s and 60s. But thought a couple good points in it.

ya...when you are still in your 30s you are still going strong, going for what drives you .The money guys all seem to work hard to make a lot of coin so they can have the beautigul family and all the toys. I guess.

Hunter
10-02-2018, 08:58 PM
ya...when you are still in your 30s you are still going strong, going for what drives you .The money guys all seem to work hard to make a lot of coin so they can have the beautigul family and all the toys. I guess.

Do you enjoy your oil work still? Would you rather be in your condo in Sosua all the time? Live there?

Or work and occasional trips is your future for next 5 years? How many weeks a year do you spend in Sosua?

ezsmile
10-02-2018, 10:11 PM
Do you enjoy your oil work still? Would you rather be in your condo in Sosua all the time? Live there?

Or work and occasional trips is your future for next 5 years? How many weeks a year do you spend in Sosua?

Not so much but I could make it more enjoyable again if I worked at it. :rofl: I guess due to downturns in the business you could say I am semi working? About 170 days a year
I spend about 15 weeks a year in Sosua spaced out over several trips.I still have to decide if I want to be in Sosua full time as a retiree.

Edit: note that is 170 days a year working away from home with nothing to do but work. I definitely would not go back to my old work rotation which was 3 in 1 out. Now it is 2 in 2 out, which although pays less money is much easier to do.

BlueDevil
10-02-2018, 10:25 PM
Valid points for some... but not for me. I happened to have had a job I hated,,, well maybe not hate hated... but one that was not very inspiring. It did offer me the opportunity to travel frequently and almost at will. I started planning my retirement in my mid-40s... and wanted nothing else but to retire outside Jersey... and then outside the US. Still not bored... no major identity crisis... and I was pleased as punch to leave government employment. (BTW, a government bureaucrat has very little "identity"...LOL). I guess one negative I came across is becoming lazy... I mean real lazy... like walking more than a 1/4 mile became a chore. Decided to get unlazy and doing much more walking and exercising now. Outside of trying to watch every TV show and movie on Kodi. I do free consulting for la senora's meals-on-wheels restaurant. I like the idea of 6 paisitas working in the kitchens every day. :rolleyes: As long as my state pension and social security stay afloat, I am a happy camper. :lol:

j_d66
10-02-2018, 11:32 PM
Not so much but I could make it more enjoyable again if I worked at it. :rofl: I guess due to downturns in the business you could say I am semi working? About 170 days a year
I spend about 15 weeks a year in Sosua spaced out over several trips.I still have to decide if I want to be in Sosua full time as a retiree.

Edit: note that is 170 days a year working away from home with nothing to do but work. I definitely would not go back to my old work rotation which was 3 in 1 out. Now it is 2 in 2 out, which although pays less money is much easier to do.

Do you pretty much only go to Sosua or do you venture to other countries as well?

Sosua can be fun but I couldn't see myself settling there permanently as there are to many other good places to go.

Mr. Smooth
10-03-2018, 04:10 AM
I read the article (thanks for posting it Hunter) and while I do agree with the author's point about it being harder to retire early if your life revolved around the job title you had and the degree of importance you associated yourself with to the job, I also can't agree more with Weyland. This guy sounded like some pretentious prick who couldn't stand to be associated with the unwashed masses (no more priority boarding in business class!....boo fucking hoo), and even with a $200,000 yearly income, he STILL worried about not having enough money to be satisfied.

Not the type of guy I want to hang around with. Sounds like a boor.

The weekend before I flew to Kenya, that Friday night an ambulance came to my work place. Apparently a guy had keeled over in the locker room and was out. Have no idea how long it was before someone noticed and was concerned enough to call for a supervisor. Eventually a 911 call was made and paramedics were summoned. The guy was taken out of the building and rushed to the hospital.

When I came in for work that Monday, the first person I saw asked me, "Did you hear about Greg?" I said I just got here and hadn't heard anything. He had died late Sunday night. He wound up having a massive heart attack. The guy was 2 years older than me. Another one gone way too soon. There have been dozens over the years. That Thursday night, I boarded a flight for Istanbul and then onto Nairobi and Mombasa. Two weeks of holiday bliss to interrupt the daily routine of work and living a life that, despite some people always thinking in a half serious way that I'm perpetually on holiday, like so many here, my life is the same routine about 85% of the time. It's that 15% that makes up the memories of a life well lived.

Greg, and so many other of my coworkers over the years, never had their chance to retire early, or late for that matter. I know you can't control outside forces in life and there is the old joke, "How do you make God laugh? Tell him your plans!".....but my own motivation comes a great deal from my travels to other places, to have some perspective on what life is like for those who face true hardships on a daily basis, of experiencing the joy and happiness of people who have taught me that you can truly be happy without all the materialistic crap that our commercialized society says we need in order to be happy, valued, content. In other words, living a certain way to please others, and I suppose the author lived his working life with that factor as a primary focus since he admittedly worried about it.

I harbor no such illusions with my own retirement. I just eagerly look forward to having the chance, unlike so many of those who I worked with had denied to them, and see how I can live a life knowing I own every waking hour of my day, for the first time ever.

That will be the biggest adjustment. And one that I am going to be ready to meet head on once I clock out for the final time.

ezsmile
10-03-2018, 04:52 PM
Do you pretty much only go to Sosua or do you venture to other countries as well?

Sosua can be fun but I couldn't see myself settling there permanently as there are to many other good places to go.

Pretty much only to Sosua and Vancouver, maintaining homes in the two. My employer flies me to work and flies me home. Theoretically future vacations I would go somewhere else. I am not working full time, some would say it is semi-retirement, but come the end of my work rotation I really don't want to go anywhere but home. And at 2-3 weeks at a time, Sosua is a relaxing place to be, believe it or not.

ezsmile
10-03-2018, 04:55 PM
I read the article (thanks for posting it Hunter) and while I do agree with the author's point about it being harder to retire early if your life revolved around the job title you had and the degree of importance you associated yourself with to the job, I also can't agree more with Weyland. This guy sounded like some pretentious prick who couldn't stand to be associated with the unwashed masses (no more priority boarding in business class!....boo fucking hoo), and even with a $200,000 yearly income, he STILL worried about not having enough money to be satisfied.

The weekend before I flew to Kenya, that Friday night an ambulance came to my work place. Apparently a guy had keeled over in the locker room and was out. Have no idea how long it was before someone noticed and was concerned enough to call for a supervisor. Eventually a 911 call was made and paramedics were summoned. The guy was taken out of the building and rushed to the hospital.

When I came in for work that Monday, the first person I saw asked me, "Did you hear about Greg?" I said I just got here and hadn't heard anything. He had died late Sunday night. He wound up having a massive heart attack. The guy was 2 years older than me. Another one gone way too soon. There have been dozens over the years. That Thursday night, I boarded a flight for Istanbul and then onto Nairobi and Mombasa. Two weeks of holiday bliss to interrupt the daily routine of work and living a life that, despite some people always thinking in a half serious way that I'm perpetually on holiday, like so many here, my life is the same routine about 85% of the time. It's that 15% that makes up the memories of a life well lived.

Greg, and so many other of my coworkers over the years, never had their chance to retire early, or late for that matter. I know you can't control outside forces in life and there is the old joke, "How do you make God laugh? Tell him your plans!".....but my own motivation comes a great deal from my travels to other places, to have some perspective on what life is like for those who face true hardships on a daily basis, of experiencing the joy and happiness of people who have taught me that you can truly be happy without all the materialistic crap that our commercialized society says we need in order to be happy, valued, content. In other words, living a certain way to please others, and I suppose the author lived his working life with that factor as a primary focus since he admittedly worried about it.

I harbor no such illusions with my own retirement. I just eagerly look forward to having the chance, unlike so many of those who I worked with had denied to them, and see how I can live a life knowing I own every waking hour of my day, for the first time ever.

That will be the biggest adjustment. And one that I am going to be ready to meet head on once I clock out for the final time.

Something to always remember, you never know when you are going to kick it, only that each day that time gets closer.

Jimmydr
10-03-2018, 07:17 PM

n 86 year old guy at my accounting firm found out he had weeks to live and went home. He would have worked forever if death didn't come for him.

greydread
10-03-2018, 07:32 PM
n 86 year old guy at my accounting firm found out he had weeks to live and went home. He would have worked forever if death didn't come for him.
I'd have stuck it out and stayed on the job for two weeks, e-mailed my boss that the work load is killing me and CC'd all my Kids and Grand Kids. Insurance payout doubles. :rofl:

Jimmydr
10-03-2018, 07:33 PM
I'd have stuck it out and stayed on the job for two weeks, e-mailed my boss that the work load is killing me and CC'd all my Kids and Grand Kids. Insurance payout doubles. :rofl:

He was the boss.

Hunter
10-03-2018, 07:38 PM

That was one of the points of the article. Some guys are most happy working and cant handle retirement....Your guy case in point...

greydread
10-03-2018, 07:40 PM
He was the boss.
"Boss" as in Owner? Otherwise, my action stands. If he was the Owner, then fuck him. He's already rich.

Jimmydr
10-03-2018, 07:53 PM
"Boss" as in Owner? Otherwise, my action stands. If he was the Owner, then fuck him. He's already rich.

He was a partner in the firm and retired but kept a few clients and flies up from Florida to work and get away from the wife.

Jimmydr
10-03-2018, 07:54 PM
That was one of the points of the article. Some guys are most happy working and cant handle retirement....Your guy case in point...

So he died and his rich son got his money. All he did was complain while he was there.

Conditioning

Jimmydr
10-03-2018, 07:55 PM

Lets take you for example, no wife and kids and you have investments. I find it hard to believe that you have nothing better to do than go to your office and leave your sisters kids you money.

greydread
10-03-2018, 08:03 PM
He was a partner in the firm and retired but kept a few clients and flies up from Florida to work and get away from the wife.
Oh.

So it wasn't the job that killed him, it was the Wife.

Nevamind...

Hunter
10-03-2018, 08:06 PM
Lets take you for example, no wife and kids and you have investments. I find it hard to believe that you have nothing better to do than go to your office and leave your sisters kids you money.

I am on the JD gig now...semi retired and travel 8-10 weeks a year. That could change in future. At the moment I have zero desire to live in third world full time. I like working when I am home. My goal would be 6 months abroad 6 months USA...something like that. PI - Carribean- Africa...Though Sage has a point in that going from here to there you cant really put down roots and get a feel for a place.

I will shut the business sometime...But now I like it. I am not going to keep it open till 83..lol...

Your the one who doesnt travel anymore....dont hate on me...

And my sisters kids will get nothing....my 3 foreign wives will get it.

Jimmydr
10-03-2018, 08:06 PM
Oh.

So it wasn't the job that killed him, it was the Wife.

Nevamind...

The wife died last year after being bedridden for a few years.

Jimmydr
10-03-2018, 08:09 PM
Your the one who doesnt travel anymore....dont hate on me...

And my sisters kids will get nothing....my 3 foreign wives will get it.

I have to pay $470 a month for medical and going up, the job market is booming and traveling at the moment bores me, so why go.

I have some raw swizzle 3 hours from home that I can have every month.

Hunter
10-03-2018, 08:11 PM
I have to pay $470 a month for medical and going up, the job market is booming and traveling at the moment bores me, so why go.

I have some raw swizzle 3 hours from home that I can have every month.

Good plan for now with your mother situation etc.....

greydread
10-03-2018, 08:16 PM
The wife died last year after being bedridden for a few years.
This story is getting hinkier with every unfolding detail..we're done here...:rolleyes:

Jimmydr
10-03-2018, 08:24 PM
This story is getting hinkier with every unfolding detail..we're done here...:rolleyes:

And he was done last year.

runmemphis
10-03-2018, 09:50 PM
I'm the minority in these scenarios! I make less money than all of you and love my job more than everyone. Being "involved" 70-80 hours a week but I don't call it work. I am blessed. I have never worked a day in my life. When I wake up, I'm excited at what I get to do (help kids) as opposed to what I have to do. Sundays suck because I usually am off. A few days at Christmas without a game and I go crazy. I love the beach and Jamaica in July recharges me! But, it would be selfish of me to ever retire when I can help kids.... Nothing better than that!

j_d66
10-04-2018, 12:19 AM
I'm the minority in these scenarios! I make less money than all of you and love my job more than everyone. Being "involved" 70-80 hours a week but I don't call it work. I am blessed. I have never worked a day in my life. When I wake up, I'm excited at what I get to do (help kids) as opposed to what I have to do. Sundays suck because I usually am off. A few days at Christmas without a game and I go crazy. I love the beach and Jamaica in July recharges me! But, it would be selfish of me to ever retire when I can help kids.... Nothing better than that!

I think you hit on alot right there

You are in a job that you enjoy and still have some flexibility to get away and enjoy some time in Jamaica or wherever you chose.

The ability to operate somewhat on your terms helps tremendously on whether you truly enjoy what you are doing

Your job does have some perks I am sure. Like Chaperoning in Brazil. Not a bad perk